View Full Version : Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Mac

Westside guy
Jan 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hey,

Adobe has (finally) announced PSE 6...
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/

MacRumors
Jan 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Adobe announced that Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Mac will become available in the second quarter of 2008. Adobe plans to show off the latest version of Elements at Macworld Expo next week.
"We're excited to showcase a brand new version of Photoshop Elements at Macworld," said John Loiacono, senior vice president of Creative Solutions at Adobe. "In this release, we've focused on going beyond the basics to make everyday and advanced tasks even easier to achieve. Photoshop Elements 6 for Macintosh allows people to organize and find photos quickly, unleash powerful editing tricks without any heavy lifting, and creatively share photos that give them all the bragging rights."
Adobe details (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/) the new features on their website, including a number of video demos:

- Create a Group Shot (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/explore/seehow_groupshot/) from multiple photos
- Make easy selections (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/explore/seehow_quickselect/)
- Use curves adjustments (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/explore/?promoid=BQTKS)

Version 6.0 of Elements finally brings the Mac version of Elements in par with the Windows version. Adobe had previously skipped realeasing Elements 5.0 for the Mac. Version 6 also introduces Intel Mac support and will be available for $89.99.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/10/adobe-announces-photoshop-elements-6-0-for-mac/)

GreyHare
Jan 10, 2008, 11:51 AM
And I just bought a copy of 4.0 with my new Mac Pro. -_-;

Project
Jan 10, 2008, 11:51 AM
About time!

Yankees 4 Life
Jan 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
finally, they are getting their move on...

Squonk
Jan 10, 2008, 11:53 AM
I often wonder about using Elements instead of iPhoto....anyone have a compelling argument on that?

scotthayes
Jan 10, 2008, 11:54 AM
just looked through the site, and don't think it's worth the 69.32 they are charging in the UK.

Father Jack
Jan 10, 2008, 11:57 AM
I wonder what happened to Photoshop Elements 5 for the Mac. As far as I know the last version for the Mac was 4 (or am I wrong again !!) ... :o

OriginalMacRat
Jan 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
Shouldn't the title of this be: "Adobe Announces that they still aren't shipping Photoshop Elements 6.0 for the Mac"

fluidedge
Jan 10, 2008, 12:04 PM
About time!

I don't think any application has been so prolifically produced as PS elements? I still have PSE2 on a PC that is only 3 years old

Westside guy
I often wonder about using Elements instead of iPhoto....anyone have a compelling argument on that?

Arguments in favor of iPhoto

Bridge isn't as good a management tool as iPhoto, in my opinion
iLife and iWork integration
Easy publishing options (e.g. photobooks)

I think PSE makes a great supplement for iPhoto or Aperture (or LIghtroom for that matter) though.

Macula
How about fixing that Acrobat CS3 for Leopard? First things first!

Switched2aMac
Jan 10, 2008, 12:07 PM
Geez....It's about time. Wonder why they skipped Elements 5. I was always looking for it on the internet. It is slow in an Intel Mac. Hope the new Elements is going to be faster.

Father Jack
Jan 10, 2008, 12:08 PM
Elements can do lots of things iPhoto cant.
Most digital photographers could probably manage all their needs with Elements without having to go to the expense of the full Photoshop. In fact from what I hear version 6 for the PC has a few cool features that CS3 hasn't got.

sunfast
Jan 10, 2008, 12:10 PM
Let's go easy on Adobe guys - the first shipping intel macs were only 2 years ago. And you know, developers were hardly informed of the switch
that's sarcasm if anybody is feeling very dense today
that said - I will probably get this

Small White Car
Jan 10, 2008, 12:10 PM

Do you need to select things? Cut things out? Alter the color of part of an images instead of the whole thing? Merge different images and add text for some kind of poster?

These are things iPhoto is not meant for.

OllyW
Jan 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
just looked through the site, and don't think it's worth the 69.32 they are charging in the UK.

It's 45.82 to upgrade from a previous licensed version of Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop LE, or Adobe PhotoDeluxe.

geerlingguy
Jan 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
Elements can do lots of things iPhoto cant.
Most digital photographers could probably manage all their needs with Elements without having to go to the expense of the full Photoshop. In fact from what I hear version 6 for the PC has a few cool features that CS3 hasn't got.

Often there are little features that are put into Elements and not in Photoshop, and later incorporated into Photoshop because they were so popular and easy to use in Elements. Such is the case with the Quick Selection feature where you paint an area you want selected. (Unless I am wrong, it appeared first in Elements 4.0, then in CS2 or 3... I forget these things).

Marky_Mark
Jan 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hurray! Finally! How long have we been waiting for this? I'm still ploughing on with PSE 2.0 on my Mac. I like the no-nonsense interface in 2.0, don't need the most comsumerist facilities in the later versions, but will very much welcome the speed from the native code.

ChrisA
Jan 10, 2008, 12:19 PM

Elements is more of a photo editor then an organiser. Although now it does have some good abitlies to organize photos but it lacks integration with other Apple iLife programs

But Elements can do edits that just can't be done with iPhoto. Elements is very much like Photoshop in the it has seltion tools, layers and masks

The best thing to do is to use iPhoto to organize your images and then in iPhoto's Perference panel you can specify an external editor to use. Select Elements as that editor. then when you double click an image inside iPhoto that image comes up inside elements and automatically goes back to iPhoto when you save and quite in Elements. Its nearly seamless. The down side is that iPhoto starts up a new copy of Elements each time, so it is slow or at least is was slow with Elements version 4 because of Rosetta, a universal binary PSE6 will be faster

MacSA
Jan 10, 2008, 12:19 PM

No wonder software piracy is rampant.. robbing b******s :mad:

kylos
Jan 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
So, how would I go about upgrading from Elements 1 (OS 9) to Elements 6. Will I just need a previous installation key?

BornAgainMac
Jan 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
Adobe still says Macintosh. I haven't heard of a Mac called that in a long time. It is sort of like calling Ben "Obi-Wan Kenobi".

Chris Grande
Jan 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
I like how the Mac demo videos are on Windows.

Squonk
Jan 10, 2008, 12:23 PM
Elements is more of a photo editor then an organiser. Although now it does have some good abitlies to organize photos but it lacks integration with other Apple iLife programs

But Elements can do edits that just can't be done with iPhoto. Elements is very much like Photoshop in the it has seltion tools, layers and masks

The best thing to do is to use iPhoto to organize your images and then in iPhoto's Perference panel you can specify an external editor to use. Select Elements as that editor. then when you double click an image inside iPhoto that image comes up inside elements and automatically goes back to iPhoto when you save and quite in Elements. Its nearly seamless. The down side is that iPhoto starts up a new copy of Elements each time, so it is slow or at least is was slow with Elements version 4 because of Rosetta, a universal binary PSE6 will be faster

Do you need to select things? Cut things out? Alter the color of part of an images instead of the whole thing? Merge different images and add text for some kind of poster?

These are things iPhoto is not meant for.

Excellent feedback. Thanks y'all. Once I get my new MBP I should have enough horsepower to handle the spawning of PSE... :)

ChrisA
Jan 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hurray! Finally! How long have we been waiting for this? I'm still ploughing on with PSE 2.0 on my Mac. I like the no-nonsense interface in 2.0, don't need the most comsumerist facilities in the later versions, but will very much welcome the speed from the native code.

I was using 2 also. But I bought a new Wacom tablet and 4 was included "free". So I upgraded. The basic editing interface, selection tools and layers all work better in 4 then in 2. Yes, 4 has new features I don't use but it was worth it.

I'd suggest waiting a wile to buy Elements 6. Soon Wacom will have Elements 6 bundled with their "Bamboo Fun" tablet.. the bundle will sell for $100. Only $20 more then buying Elements alone. They also include Corel Painter Essentials in the bundle which I like

The Bamboo tablet is well worth $20. However the higher end intous tablet is better because t senses not only pressure but the orientation of the pen so with it you can rotate a flat brash to make thin or fat lines, or "feather" an airbrush. With the bamboo tablet all pens and brushes are treated as if they are exactly vertical even if you hold them at an angle to the surface. But for $20 over the price of elements alone well worth it.

scotthayes
Jan 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
It's 45.82 to upgrade from a previous licensed version of Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop LE, or Adobe PhotoDeluxe.

57.58 on the Adobe site for the upgrade, which is more than I paid for the full licence version of PSE 4

Where have you seen it for 45.82? Some dodgy shop in Dudley??? :D

barnettgs
Jan 10, 2008, 12:30 PM
No universal?! :confused:

Small White Car
Jan 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
No universal?! :confused:

It is.

I'm assuming this is why 5 never came out. They would have had to go back and change stuff they'd already finished so they just decided to skip it to wait until 6 and start fresh.

notjustjay
Jan 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
Sounds good. The one thing I missed from switching from my PC was Paint Shop Pro. Definitely nice for making web graphics.

andiwm2003
Jan 10, 2008, 12:38 PM
PSE 6.0 sounds good to me.

But I hope Pixelmator gets unlocked in the macheist.com bundle. Even if not i might go for it separately.

I hope they use the remaining month to further develop Pixelmator and maybe drop the price a bit. It's a good application and could become a good alternative to Adobe's "monopol" for most of us.

barnettgs
Jan 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
It is.

I'm assuming this is why 5 never came out. They would have had to go back and change stuff they'd already finished so they just decided to skip it to wait until 6 and start fresh.There is no mention of it being the universal.

John Purple
Jan 10, 2008, 12:41 PM
I'll wait and see if Aperture 2.0 comes around at MWSF and what features it will have :rolleyes:
OK, it's a lot more expensive but does never change your original pictures, it's a professional tool for photographers to manage 10.000s of pictures (and will hopefully come in Version 2.0 similar tools as PSE). And to be honest, what is it worth to have a $ 2500++ hardware with $ 90 software???

psychofreak
Jan 10, 2008, 12:44 PM
There is no mention of it being the universal.

Its kind of assumed in this case...

OllyW
Jan 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
57.58 on the Adobe site for the upgrade, which is more than I paid for the full licence version of PSE 4

On the Adobe site (https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-UK&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PhotoshopElementsMac&distributionMethod=UPGRADE&nr=0) :p

That dodgy shop in Dudley got done (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/05/07/the-pirates-of-dudley-89520-19058042/) :D

HLdan
Jan 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
Let's go easy on Adobe guys - the first shipping intel macs were only 2 years ago. And you know, developers were hardly informed of the switch
that's sarcasm if anybody is feeling very dense today
that said - I will probably get this

Oh please, we are talking about a multi-billion dollar company, they don't need that much notice, they could have done this a long while ago. What pisses me off about Adobe is that they will go out of their way to make the latest versions of their software on Windows but they leave Mac users in the cold and decide to make it sometime in the future as if they were doing us a favor.
We are customers for goodness sake.

scotthayes
Jan 10, 2008, 12:55 PM
On the Adobe site (https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-UK&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PhotoshopElementsMac&distributionMethod=UPGRADE&nr=0) :p

That dodgy shop in Dudley got done (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/05/07/the-pirates-of-dudley-89520-19058042/) :D

what the hell was I looking at then???

Oops, I was looking at the Windows version, off now to wash my eyes with soap and water

rockosmodurnlif
Jan 10, 2008, 12:55 PM
And I just bought a copy of 4.0 with my new Mac Pro. -_-;

Yea, I almost did the same.

Still no downloadable demo though. That sucks. And they're using Windows screens and demos?

twoodcc
Jan 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
radical! the more mac software, the better. :apple:

Small White Car
Jan 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
There is no mention of it being the universal.

Ok, they don't use the word "universal" but they say it's compatible with G4, G5, and multicore Intel chips. That's pretty clear.

roland.g
Jan 10, 2008, 12:57 PM
I have used Photoshop a lot in the past, but for layering and effects and such, does Elements do this kind of stuff. I don't have Pro printing needs, but I do have Pro editing needs. Would love to save some $$ as PS CS3 ain't cheap.

OllyW
Jan 10, 2008, 01:00 PM
what the hell was I looking at then???

Oops, I was looking at the Windows version, off now to wash my eyes with soap and water

Bloody daft brummies :D:D:D

nukiduz
Jan 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'm just curious... What's the point of PSE if you already have PS?

superleccy
Jan 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
Go go go Adobe! If they hurry up, they may release it before Apple switch from Intel to Cell Processors.
Adobe still says Macintosh. I haven't heard of a Mac called that in a long time. It is sort of like calling Ben "Obi-Wan Kenobi".
Adobe are obviously fans of the prequel trilogy. Can't say I'm surprised.

SL

tirerim
Jan 10, 2008, 01:07 PM

None. But if you don't, PSE is a lot cheaper.

tirerim
Jan 10, 2008, 01:09 PM
So, how would I go about upgrading from Elements 1 (OS 9) to Elements 6. Will I just need a previous installation key?

You probably can't. Adobe normally only let you jump three versions for upgrades; more than that and you just need to buy it again. I don't know specifically about Elements, but that's definitely how it works with Photoshop.

peeaanuut
Jan 10, 2008, 01:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

this should run ok on a 1.8 c2d mini with 1.5gb of ram right?

psychofreak
Jan 10, 2008, 01:14 PM
this should run ok on a 1.8 c2d mini with 1.5gb of ram right?

Definitely :)

EagerDragon
Jan 10, 2008, 01:16 PM

Use both, keep the images orginized in iPhoto, but set them to be edited in Elements.

Elements provides a lot more edits and a lot more controls. Like day and night. If all you want to do is make it darker or lighter, iPhoto is all you need. If you want to replace backgrounds, combine images, add texture to areas of a photo, create multi layer photos, then Elements is the way to go.

Seems Element 6 now allows you to organize your photos, but it is unclear how it interfaces with the rest of Apple products, so for now I would suggest to keep the photos in iPhoto and edit in Elements.

Eduardo1971
Jan 10, 2008, 01:24 PM

I bought Elements about a year ago and frankly I find myself using iPhoto '08 on a daily basis. I guess for me it is much easier and more intuative. Then again, I don't consider myself a photo imaging power user.

balahir
Jan 10, 2008, 01:29 PM
Does anybody know if Adobe is also developing Premiere Elements for us? I am quite happy with FCE 4, but I kinda liked the interface in new Premiere (Pro) I tried... Don't want to pay the fortune Adobe wanna have, though.

rtdunham
Jan 10, 2008, 01:34 PM
But Elements can do edits that just can't be done with iPhoto. Elements is very much like Photoshop in the it has selection tools, layers and masks...

Are there things I could do more easily in elements than in PS?

I don't need all the power of PS; i need more than iPhoto. I have PS, so cost isn't the issue: ease of use is. Would i find myself tackling more tasks in elements because the tools are easier to use, or am i underestimating how PS has improved? thanks.

mdntcallr
Jan 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
Shouldn't the title of this be: "Adobe Announces that they still aren't shipping Photoshop Elements 6.0 for the Mac"

you are right. Adobe is taking forever.

but at least they don't launch programs that are not ready to go public like other developers. ie microsoft and .... Halo 3, or Vista

jbg232
Jan 10, 2008, 01:48 PM
I read the press release and some other articles but couldn't find any mention of what happens if I buy version 4.0 of photoshop elements before 6.0 is available. Will they do what microsoft is doing with office 2008 and offer a free upgrade or will I have to pay the full upgrade price?

morespce54
Jan 10, 2008, 02:02 PM

none (unless it's PS 5 or 6 or even PS CS 1)

Edit: Well, Okay. Maybe it's a bit easier to use since you don't have all the options and tools PS have...

Doctor Q
Jan 10, 2008, 02:15 PM
I use iPhoto and Photoshop and have learned when to use which. Photoshop Elements falls in between in editing capabilities. It's a good balance between the simplicity of iPhoto (enhance, red eye, a few sliders, and not much else) and the complexity (and yes, flexibility) of Photoshop.

I still prefer iPhoto for red eye correction, so if a photo is already in my iPhoto library, that's how I touch it up.

Keep in mind that iPhoto Preferences let you specify an editor application, so you can double-click a photo in your library, edit it in Photoshop Elements or Photoshop, and have it updated in your library when you save the file.

BenRoethig
Jan 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
I wonder what happened to Photoshop Elements 5 for the Mac. As far as I know the last version for the Mac was 4 (or am I wrong again !!) ... :o

They had to basically start from scratch since PSE 4.0 so they skipped the 5.0 release.

BenRoethig
Jan 10, 2008, 02:19 PM

There is no point. Think of it as photoshop express. A stripped down version for consumers.

guzhogi
Jan 10, 2008, 02:23 PM

I don't think there was a 5 for Mac, only for Windows. Probably so people think that Windows & Macs are on the same version instead of Macs being 1 version behind.

mddharma
Jan 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
It seems for a "photoshop" lite this program is a contender. I am using it and it seems very nice. In addition it is just a 1.0 version and the price is right.

Cloudsurfer
Jan 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Great news! I've been waiting to throw out my sluggish Elements 4.0 for ages.

m.jakey
Jan 10, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hi-

I just got a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet with PSE4 included(and a book to help me learn PSE4); anyone been using it with an intel iMac running Leopard?

Adobe's pdf about Leopard and Elements4 says something to the effect of 'likely to encounter issues for which there is no resolution'

Was hoping somebody might have some experience with this and know how severe the issues are?

Maybe I should send the Wacom back to Amazon and wait till the Bamboo ships with PSE6?

Though I think it has, in the past, taken Wacom a few quarters to catch up with new PSE releases they include . . .

any thoughts or info appreciated.

superleccy
Jan 10, 2008, 02:48 PM
It seems for a "photoshop" lite this program is a contender. I am using it and it seems very nice. In addition it is just a 1.0 version and the price is right.
Pixelmator will be great once they've finished it.

Seriously, I love the concept and the interface. The Mac needs a decent mid-range photo editor to compete with Adobe's clunky, late and overpriced offerings.

But for me it's too buggy and missing too many features to be useful right now. If they sorted it, it'd be an Adobe-killer.

SL

vandlism
Jan 10, 2008, 02:59 PM
I like how the Mac demo videos are on Windows.

I'm willing to bet that the video is probably the Mac version and Adobe is releasing a hacked up version of the Windows gui for their Mac users.

pesc
Jan 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
I like iPhoto better for organizing my photos. And iPhoto integrates better with other iLife/iWork applications. I think it's a shame that PSE doesn't try to integrate with iPhoto (include a media browser?) but tries to replace iPhoto by adding its own organizing software.

However, here is what I do: Set iPhoto to use an external editor: PSE.
THEN, set iPhoto to edit pictures in fullscreen mode instead. iPhoto will now remember the external editor.
NOW, when I double-click an image I get iPhotos editing. Nice for doing basic editing (levels, crop, etc). This is OK for 90% of all corrections I do.
OR I can right-click an image and select "open in external editor". Now PSE opens and I can do more advanced editing. When I save in PSE (NOT "Save as...") I will save the modified image in the right place. iPhoto can still revert to the original as it keeps track of that for me.

AidenShaw
Jan 10, 2008, 04:01 PM
How about fixing that Acrobat CS3 for Leopard? First things first!

Why aren't you asking Apple to fix what that Apple broke in 10.5, instead of asking Adobe to change something that was working in 10.4?

mac 2005
Jan 10, 2008, 04:05 PM
I know there's a profanity filter, so I hope I'll be forgiven.

About ****ing time, Adobe.

I use PhotoShop 5.5 on my PC and Elements 4 on my MacBook. Not only is Elements 4 slower than it should be for even routine processes, but it offers less functionality than a 7-year-old+ version of PhotoShop.

eric4
Jan 10, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have been waiting for this for a long time. As a (year ago) Mac convert from Windows, I haven't found anything to replace my Paint Shop Pro for graphics and photo editing - layers, selections, brush tools, masks, color balance, levels, precise color correction, etc. I believe most of this ability will be in PSE6. CS3 isn't priced for home users, and I wasn't interested in PSE 4 since it was 2 years old and not a universal binary. I've been running Paint Shop Pro in Parallels just hoping that Adobe hadn't abandoned Mac PSE.

iPhoto would work for maybe half of the photo editing I do for simple brightness/contrast and very basic color correction, but the biggest problem in my opinion is that it saves such a poor quality copy (high compression possibly?) of any photo that I've edited in it. I can't get quality prints from it. I haven't looked at iPhoto '08 yet, I understand that it might not save copy of copy of copy (after edit of edit of edit) but rather make all changes from the original (similar to Apeture), that sounds interesting to me.

The photo/album organization of neither PSE nor iPhoto interest me. My use would solely be editing and creation ability.

Marky_Mark
Jan 10, 2008, 04:37 PM
I was using 2 also. But I bought a new Wacom tablet and 4 was included "free". So I upgraded. The basic editing interface, selection tools and layers all work better in 4 then in 2. Yes, 4 has new features I don't use but it was worth it.

I'd suggest waiting a wile to buy Elements 6. Soon Wacom will have Elements 6 bundled with their "Bamboo Fun" tablet.. the bundle will sell for $100. Only $20 more then buying Elements alone. They also include Corel Painter Essentials in the bundle which I like

The Bamboo tablet is well worth $20. However the higher end intous tablet is better because t senses not only pressure but the orientation of the pen so with it you can rotate a flat brash to make thin or fat lines, or "feather" an airbrush. With the bamboo tablet all pens and brushes are treated as if they are exactly vertical even if you hold them at an angle to the surface. But for $20 over the price of elements alone well worth it.

Lol :) I have a Graphire, but thanks, it's a good point and if I didn't already have a tablet I'd follow your advice.

I'll be getting this on day 1, I reckon. I've waited long enough!

recordprod
Jan 10, 2008, 04:45 PM

I've just placed my pre-order for upgrade from PSE3 - 45.82 all in. That's from Adobe UK direct.

Maybe I'm alone in this but think it's decent value - assuming it runs as fast as CS3 on my Intel Macs :)

hempcamp
Jan 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
Totally worth it and about time. I have used PSE2 and PSE4 forever and a day but they are slow as molasses going uphill in January through Rosetta on an Intel Mac.

A cheaper digital distribution version as with PSE2 and PSE4 would be nice, of course. So I'm waiting in case that comes soon.

--Chris

r88my
Jan 10, 2008, 05:38 PM

Outrageous. But we're used to getting shagged, so its quite alright :)

I read the press release and some other articles but couldn't find any mention of what happens if I buy version 4.0 of photoshop elements before 6.0 is available. Will they do what microsoft is doing with office 2008 and offer a free upgrade or will I have to pay the full upgrade price?

They'll give you a free upgrade to version 5.0... ;)

ezekielrage_99
Jan 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
About time!

I second that... About darn time...

It seems as though Mac has been "left out" on the Adobe releases, it really does look like Adobe is 12 to 18 months behind on all of their Mac OSX releases. I wonder if they are still annoyed with Apple about Aperture :confused:

Gamoe
Jan 10, 2008, 06:38 PM
Will this one have activation?

I have issues with activation; It's why I ask.

Porco
Jan 10, 2008, 06:40 PM
I echo all those saying about "flipping" time. I think Adobe has been shockingly slow on this. I've been waiting for ages for a universal version before I upgraded from version 2.0 (version 4 didn't look worth the upgrade at the time, but 2.0 doesn't even work in Leopard so... ).

For those considering Pixelmator, it's very nice, maybe worth having as well as, and could mature into something truly great given time, but I can't seriously believe that anyone who uses even half of elements' features could make do with it as a replacement, as it is right now.

If, as reported, 10.5.2 fixes stacks there is finally very little stopping me from upgrading my desktop to Leopard, so this is great news.

Island Dog
Jan 10, 2008, 07:17 PM
I just installed PSE 4.0 on Leopard, and it's running fine. I see nothing worthy of spending the money for the upgrade at this time.

Will this one have activation?

It's Adobe, I would bet on it.

basset hound
Jan 10, 2008, 09:42 PM
I just placed my order. This is just what I need to do some of the photo editing that Aperture and iPhoto won't do.:D

jettredmont
Jan 11, 2008, 12:29 AM
Sounds nice and all, although the "group photo" example would have been a whole lot more convincing if the three kids hadn't been completely separated against a featureless background.

In any case, whoever designed this web page needs to be shot: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/upgrade/

Gray text on a black background. Who'd have thought that wouldn't be readable?

cubbie5150
Jan 11, 2008, 01:28 AM
Is Elements basically PhotoShop-lite? I want to get into photography & some basic image editing (simple stuff like re-coloring/changing saturation levels/re-sizing, etc. of desktop backgrounds). PS CS3 is way too advanced for me, and costs way too much for my minimal needs...

jettredmont
Jan 11, 2008, 01:42 AM
Is Elements basically PhotoShop-lite? I want to get into photography & some basic image editing (simple stuff like re-coloring/changing saturation levels/re-sizing, etc. of desktop backgrounds). PS CS3 is way too advanced for me, and costs way too much for my minimal needs...

From a photographer's perspective, I'd invest first in iPhoto (ie, iLife 08), or in Aperture/Lightroom (a bit pricier, but well worth it; Aperture is Apple's product, and Lightroom is Adobe's, with very similar approaches and goals). Photoshop (full or Elements) is good for fringe scenarios, but the above apps are far better in terms of full-photograph editing (as opposed to pixel-level adjustments) and library culling/organization.

Porco
Jan 11, 2008, 02:21 AM

Photoshop 'lite' is exactly what it is. Most of the features for a fraction of the price. It'll complement whatever version of iPhoto you have very nicely. I've not used Aperture, but it depends what you're going for, Elements is a very useful app to have in loads of situations, and sounds just like what you want to me.

donstenk
Jan 11, 2008, 03:21 AM
I was gagging for Photoshop Elements as a universal binary last year around this time when I got an Intel MacBook. The main feature I missed in iPhoto at the time was "Brighten Shadows / Darken Highlights" which has since been added to iPhoto with many other features.

Sorry Adobe, lost a paying user there.

Same apology to Microsoft regarding Office 2008. I have learned working with Apple iWork and not even a free Office can tempt me back. The new Text Editor in Leopard is great to open all of MS formats and (thankfully!) ODT.

Now if only iWork could save natively in ODT..... who needs all different formats for bits of text????

Kaptajn Haddock
Jan 11, 2008, 03:42 AM
Group shot feature looks cool, but don't be fooled. The background behind the boys is very consistent, so don't expect this function to do magic if you have taken a group shot with a less ideal background.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 11, 2008, 06:29 AM
I will be glad when this comes out because my PS Elements 2 stopped working on upgrade to Leopard (and I'm due to buy an Intel Mac soonish too)

but...

what is that horribly GARISH interface? Where's the Aqua? Or even standard Leopard interface? :(:mad:

They've turned into iMovie!!!

princigalli
Jan 11, 2008, 06:56 AM
Very confusing. What's the difference between elements and lightroom?

balahir
Jan 11, 2008, 07:34 AM
Does anybody know if Adobe is also developing Premiere Elements for us? I am quite happy with FCE 4, but I kinda liked the interface in new Premiere (Pro) I tried... Don't want to pay the fortune Adobe wanna have, though.

Anyone with inside information from Adobe?

BenRoethig
Jan 11, 2008, 07:38 AM
Very confusing. What's the difference between elements and lightroom?

Lightroom like Aperture is a photo organizing program. Elements is the consumer version of the Photoshop editing program.

I hope so. Of course there is the (more expressive) Final cut express.

John Jacob
Jan 11, 2008, 07:53 AM
What's the difference between Photoshop Elements and Graphic Convertor? What can Elements do that Graphic Convertor can't, and vice versa? Thanks!

fattyreflyer
Jan 11, 2008, 07:54 AM
I will be glad when this comes out because my PS Elements 2 stopped working on upgrade to Leopard (and I'm due to buy an Intel Mac soonish too)

but...

what is that horribly GARISH interface? Where's the Aqua? Or even standard Leopard interface? :(:mad:

They've turned into iMovie!!!

I have been using PSE 6.0 on Windows for a little while and I have to say i really like the interface. I much prefer it over previous versions of PSE and also over iPhoto.

I would say the videos on Adobe.com are of the Windows version which seems a little misleading. I suppose the Mac version is going to be a little more standardized... but who knows.

whiskeybravo
Jan 11, 2008, 08:03 AM
I've switched over to Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/)and I seriously doubt I'll be switching back any time soon. Wonderful program with aggressive development path. Fast, no crapware installation (want to bet you can;t install elements without installing Adobe reader and a trial of Acrobat and...)

John Purple
Jan 11, 2008, 08:06 AM
Is windows PSE 6.0 processing 16 bit pictures :confused:
Old Mac PSE does only 8 bit, save for those processes you can do in Aperture anyway (which processes 16 bit)

GavinT
Jan 11, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hurrahh.

Must admit, I was a fan of PSE4 when I had my Windows machine before I switched. PSE4 then acted as my Organiser as well as Editor of choice.

Now on Mac, I use Lightroom as my primary Organiser, RAW File editing and Photo Editing (Levels etc ect). It suits most of my photography needs. Typically, my main photo library is kept located on an external drive, which is also being 'Time Machined' onto another drive.
I use iPhoto, but only as a way to quickly demo/slideshow my fav pics to family and friends. So, I export my favourite edited images RAWs from Lightroom/External Drive to my Pictures folder, as JPGs. These are for show only.

But, I was still missing something, and that was a pixel editor. I needed that for when I need to do some more serious corrections to photos that I couldn't achieve in Lightroom. Also, I needed an editor for creating images for webpages and software. I've tried GIMP, Seashore etc, but I'm just used to how PSE4 did things.
So, unless they've drastically changed things and cut down on stuff, having PSE6 sounds great to me as it is the missing piece in my workflow.

cubbie5150
Jan 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
Photoshop 'lite' is exactly what it is. Most of the features for a fraction of the price. It'll complement whatever version of iPhoto you have very nicely. I've not used Aperture, but it depends what you're going for, Elements is a very useful app to have in loads of situations, and sounds just like what you want to me.

Thank you; I just wanted confirmation that you helped provide. I went ahead & pre-ordered. BTW, if you want $9 USD off, use this code at checkout: MACWORLD08

John Purple
Jan 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hurrahh.
Now on Mac, I use Lightroom as my primary Organiser, RAW File editing and Photo Editing (Levels etc ect). It suits most of my photography needs. Typically, my main photo library is kept located on an external drive, which is also being 'Time Machined' onto another drive.
I use iPhoto, but only as a way to quickly demo/slideshow my fav pics to family and friends. So, I export my favourite edited images RAWs from Lightroom/External Drive to my Pictures folder, as JPGs. These are for show only.

Why transfering (changing format to jpg) from LR to iPhoto, just for demo and slideshows? Sounds like a lot of wasted time. I guess LR will be able to do this as Aperture does, even with the original raw files on a disconnected drive? (BTW I am not on Apple's payroll :( )

SuperDan1348
Jan 11, 2008, 11:09 AM
The product should be on shelves by mid to end March. I work at a college bookstore, and my vendor sent me an email today saying it will ship from Adobe on March 16th.

bretm
Jan 11, 2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah. iPhoto doesn't really edit images. Elements does 75% of day in and day out photoshop stuff. It does layers, selections, type and most ps stuff. What it seems to lack in previous versions was
cmyk, levels, and channels.

findpankaj
Jan 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
iPhoto is very unreliable and you risk of loosing your photos. I was waiting for the new version of PSE for a long time. But what about the facebook,flickr plugins that iPhoto's got? Its so much easy to upload pics from iPhoto. Does PSE 6 offer such a feature? Without powerful online/social-integration features, a product of $89 is not that compelling.

A universal photo uploader would be a good feature to add.

superleccy
Jan 11, 2008, 04:22 PM
iPhoto is very unreliable and you risk of loosing your photos.
That's news to me.
SL

dudemac
Jan 11, 2008, 06:07 PM

Well I have CS that I use for most of my editing needs. However since adobe constantly changes their raw converter I could only use elements raw tool to open my raw files. This and I find that some of the selection enhancements when doing composite work are really nice. I mostly use the full version of photoshop but now that this version of Elements is universal I will probably be getting it as I can't justify the $600 on PS CS3 when the version of photoshop that I have does just about everything that I need.

thedude

Doctor Q
Jan 11, 2008, 06:28 PM
That's news to me.
SLNot to me. iPhoto (version 4, I think) mysteriously lost the original full-resolution versions of half a dozen of my photos, on two occasions. Only the little thumbnail versions were left, and I checked not only in iPhoto but in the actual folders where iPhoto stores the images. These were only a few of my thousands of images, but they were really and truly gone.

Father Jack
Jan 12, 2008, 04:20 AM
I've heard of The Pirates of Penzance ... any connection? .... ;)

NomadicTy
Jan 12, 2008, 01:06 PM
This app looks interesting. I just got finished organizing my photos into Aperture. And I would like to start learning how to edit some of my photos in pixel level. The full-blown PS is too expensive, for my skill and artistic (or lack of) level... Just a few questions about PSE:

How well does PSE work with Aperture? If I stored a photo in RAW in Aperture, and edit it with PSE, does PSE convert it first to some other format before editing? To what format?

I know that in Aperture, if I was to edit a photo, it does not create another copy of the file. Rather, I end up with metadata of my edits. So I end up with a ~5 meg file (orig) + just kb's of metadata. If I was to edit the same photo with PSE, do I end up with with two ~5 meg files?

Sorry for the PS newbie questions.

lugesm
Jan 12, 2008, 03:12 PM
For those of you who might be in my position: I had been using a fully registered copy of PSE 5.0 on my Windows PC before switching to an iMac in September.

I called Adobe, and they will honor a properly licenced Windows version of PSE for the upgrade price to Mac PSE 6 ~ $69.

The only catch: They will not do this on a pre-order basis, and the licensed user of Win PSE must wait until the product is actually shipping.

It's only about $20 but, hey, 20 bucks is dinner at Pizza Shack if you don't drink too much beer. :D

findpankaj
Jan 12, 2008, 05:59 PM
Not to me. iPhoto (version 4, I think) mysteriously lost the original full-resolution versions of half a dozen of my photos, on two occasions. Only the little thumbnail versions were left, and I checked not only in iPhoto but in the actual folders where iPhoto stores the images. These were only a few of my thousands of images, but they were really and truly gone.

yes the same thing happened to me. You were somewhat lucky as there were half a dozen or so photos....I lost hundreds....stupidly left with thumbnails...I like Windows Live Picture Gallery is much stable and simple product...

hazmat
Jan 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
Pre-ordering the upgrade from Adobe plus the 10% MWSF discount brings it to $62.99. Anyone know if the Amazon price will be anywhere near this? I'm guessing not since they'll only offer the full version?

EJB
Apr 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
I have a new intel iMac. 2 GB ram so room is not the issue. I cannot open a photo for iPhoto application. When I try it crashes my computer. If it can't find a file it crashes my computer. I have spent more time trying to find out why it does not work than working with it. I can be editing a photo and if I go to another window for anything PSE 6.0 freezes up and I have to force quit. I have been in touch with Adobe and Apple they both point fingers at the other and no one is trying to help me on this.

aafuss1
May 3, 2008, 12:56 AM
Does anybody know if Adobe is also developing cc for us? I am quite happy with FCE 4, but I kinda liked the interface in new Premiere (Pro) I tried... Don't want to pay the fortune Adobe wanna have, though.

There's never been a Mac version of Premiere Elements.
Adobe probably dosn't want to compete with iMovie.

BenRoethig
May 3, 2008, 05:40 AM
Might be the in the future though. After the disaster known as iMovie '08 and the similarly downgraded final cut express hit the scene they remarked if they would have known Apple would have done this, they would have done a version of premiere elements.

PCMacUser
May 3, 2008, 06:41 AM
I don't think any application has been so prolifically produced as PS elements? I still have PSE2 on a PC that is only 3 years old

I still believe that PSE2 is the best version they made...