PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Ordered

Ozy
Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
I got it in before the servers were destroyed. Now the waiting game.

MacBook Air
Part Number: Z0ER
Accessory kit
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
80GB Parallel ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm
Apple Remote
1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 $2,118.00 $2,118.00
Estimated ship: 2-3 weeks
Delivered within 2-3 business days after shipping
Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
Part Number: MB442Z/A
1 $29.00 $29.00
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
Part Number: MB397G/A
1 $99.00 $99.00
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Air/MacBook - Auto-enroll
Part Number: S2513Z/A
1 $249.00 $249.00
Estimated ship: Within 24 hours
Order Subtotal: $2,495.00
Shipping Charge: $18.00
Estimated Tax*: $140.72
Estimated Total: $2,653.72

iliketomac
Jan 15, 2008, 12:52 PM

MacBook Air
Part Number: Z0ER
Accessory kit
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
80GB Parallel ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm
Apple Remote
1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 $2,118.00 $2,118.00
Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
Part Number: MB442Z/A
1 $29.00 $29.00
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
Part Number: MB397G/A
1 $99.00 $99.00
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Air/MacBook - Auto-enroll
Part Number: S2513Z/A
1 $249.00 $249.00
Estimated ship: Within 24 hours
Order Subtotal: $2,495.00
Shipping Charge: $18.00
Estimated Tax*: $140.72
Estimated Total: $2,653.72

Wow... congrats, and WOW again! Post asap when you receive it and let us know how it is!! :D

peejack
Jan 15, 2008, 12:53 PM
Personally I think it's a BIG waste of money.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 12:55 PM

Welcome to how a lot of PC users feel about Macs in general! That irritated feeling? That's exactly what a lot of folks get when people tell them to "get a Mac", when there's plenty workable stuff available for less money and better specs.

Welcome to the club. Except this time, it's also for Mac users. And I'm typing this from a Macbook, by the way.

Ozy
Jan 15, 2008, 12:57 PM

I travel a ton. Form factor matters. I have a MacPro, 17" MBP, 15" MBP, and a MacBook. All fit their use. The Air will be a perfect fit for my 911 runs to the data center (I'm a SysAdmin at eBay), and for those other times when i just want small profile.

If I need more res, I use my 1920x1200 17". If I need more power, I sit down at my 8-way MacPro. If I need a simple terminal that doesn't slow me down, I grab the Air. Makes sense to me.

jnc
Jan 15, 2008, 12:57 PM

but it's not YOUR money :D

daneoni
Jan 15, 2008, 12:58 PM

I also think its a waste of money...and i am a long time mac user.

peejack
Jan 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
but it's not YOUR money :D

I know, I didn't say it was.

aaronw1986
Jan 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
I travel a ton. Form factor matters. I have a MacPro, 17" MBP, 15" MBP, and a MacBook. All fit their use. The Air will be a perfect fit for my 911 runs to the data center (I'm a SysAdmin at eBay), and for those other times when i just want small profile.

If I need more res, I use my 1920x1200 17". If I need more power, I sit down at my 8-way MacPro. If I need a simple terminal that doesn't slow me down, I grab the Air. Makes sense to me.

Can you say SPOILED. Do you really need a 15MB,17MBP, MB, AND now the air? cmon.

MIDI_EVIL
Jan 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
Can you say SPOILED. Do you really need a 15MB,17MBP, MB, AND now the air? cmon.

Can you say EARNED?

There are some pretty envious people here.

BIK
Jan 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Welcome to how a lot of PC users feel about Macs in general! That irritated feeling? That's exactly what a lot of folks get when people tell them to "get a Mac", when there's plenty workable stuff available for less money and better specs.

Welcome to the club. Except this time, it's also for Mac users. And I'm typing this from a Macbook, by the way.

heatmiser wins

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it's his money. He can do what he likes with it. I'm a one-computer kind of guy, but if someone has a need for more, more power to them.

morethanblood
Jan 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

dudes got a job. therefore earns his money, ultimately earning those laptops.

aaronw1986
Jan 15, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it's his money. He can do what he likes with it. I'm a one-computer kind of guy, but if someone has a need for more, more power to them.

I'm a multiple computer person too, but 4 state of the art laptops, that's intense. I could see a need for say a mac pro, one MBP, and than the air.

Eric Lewis
Jan 15, 2008, 01:42 PM
ordered baseline

xparaparafreakx
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
Trying to decide from SSD and 80GB hard drive.

I agree, its the OP money and what he does with it. Just like how it is my money and I do what I want with it. Other people can do other things with the money but everyone is different with different needs.

I do not need a 17" MBP for Apple Remote Desktop and watching over my Xserve and Dell Poweredge 2950 servers.

MBP is great for that Counter Strike Source LAN with friends.

crazydrumma
Jan 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
So. I would like to say a few things.

1. Congrats on the purchase. You now have the newest, best (or is it?), most popular thing from apple. Does that feel good?
2. If you are needing portability, and you have absolutely NO upper body strength, I guess those two pounds apple shaved off DOES make a difference. I never thought people would want something smaller than a macbook.
3. I would definitely be more inclined to purchase one if it didn't cost way more than my current computer, for something that does less.
4. I love my blackbook.

my bottom line: a max 1.8 ghz processor, 80 GB (or coveted 64 GB solid state drive), minimal ports, and a slightly ugly design means this computer is disappointing. I never thought I'd see the day that apple would roll out the PC look-alike laptop.

Wayfarer
Jan 15, 2008, 01:47 PM

:rolleyes:

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 01:48 PM
I am shocked. After charging you more for a lesser machine, Apple then has the cheek to ask you for $19 extra for an optional Apple Remote.

What a joke.

chrismac00
Jan 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
I also think its a waste of money...and i am a long time mac user.

I don't think its a waste of money. If you have the money then buy it. I don't so that wouldn't be an option for me

I'm conformed with the new MacBook I got this Christmas..I thought the MacBook Air would be better and less pricey then the regular MacBook, but it has less GHz, no superdrive(add-on), not a lot of hard drive space...but if i ever had the money, I would definitely buy it. Come on, its Apple we are talking about!

amac4me
Jan 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the purchase!!

Batt
Jan 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Ozy;4757542]I got it in before the servers were destroyed. Now the waiting game.

MacBook Air

Congratulations! And screw the naysayers. You bought a beauty.

weblogik
Jan 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
Whoa what a rip off!!!

Ozy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:04 PM
Congratulations! And screw the naysayers. You bought a beauty.

Thanks. The thing that people just don't understand is that form factor is a feature. All they can see is the lack of connectivity ports vs a cheaper macbook or macbook pro. This laptop is for people who need ultra-thin and super battery life at the cost of some other trade off. There is a market for that genre!

And for that other poster, if you mean I'm spoiled because have so many laptops, then I guess I am. But nothing was handed to me. I busted my ass through college and am now loving my job at eBay (Been an admin for 12 years now). Computers to me are like tools in a toolbox. Each one has a best use scenario. I live, work, and play in front of a computer. It's my way of life. It's my family's way of life. If it isn't YOUR way of life, so be it.

polevault139
Jan 15, 2008, 02:04 PM
Congratulations on the purchase. It's nice to see someone who isn't complaining about it. I don't think they understand how difficult it must have been to fit all of that into a small package.
It seems to me that not long ago that everyone wanted an ultra-portable and now they are complaining about it. Sometimes I just don't understand how irrational people can be without actually looking at the product.

Oh, and please criticize me, it won't hurt my feelings and I know it will make you feel better about yourself.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:11 PM
So. I would like to say a few things.

1. Congrats on the purchase. You now have the newest, best (or is it?), most popular thing from apple. Does that feel good?

Yes, it will.

2. If you are needing portability, and you have absolutely NO upper body strength, I guess those two pounds apple shaved off DOES make a difference. I never thought people would want something smaller than a macbook.

Then you don't think much do you? I'm not going to get into a strength discussion with you, because 2 pounds is nothing, but thin is in. Thinner laptops look cooler, more professional, and are overall a more portable solution. If you've ever put books in your backpack, I'd rather have a small and thin hard-cover than a fat and large hardcover.

3. I would definitely be more inclined to purchase one if it didn't cost way more than my current computer, for something that does less.

And what does it do less? Your macbook still has sh** (asterisks mine) graphics and a processor that's what, 400 mHz faster?

4. I love my blackbook.

Start the bells. YEAAA HAWWWW!

On a side note: Did anyone really think Apple could make a superslim laptop that didn't sacrifice anything and was inexpensive? Are you all idiots?

Artofilm
Jan 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
What I enjoy the most about all the bashers is that, when the concept of the Macbook Air came out the other day. It looked almost the same way as it does not, with some obvious cosmetic changes. People were excited about it when they saw the concept mock-up, and I remember people saying they didn't care what the price was to pay for such a thing. But now, suddenly, it's too expensive.

Just because it's small doesn't make it less expensive. You're paying for the ability to have ultra-portable.

Kinda like if you buy a new hybrid electric/gas car. They are more expensive, but you are paying for a specialty not everyone offers.

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
waste of money... you just plunked down almost $2500.00 for a computer that has less processing power than a mac mini. Think about it... I don't care how nice it looks, its still going to be slow slow slow. The life expectency (from a processing power standpoint) is not that great. It is definately NOT worth the money. $1000.00 maybe, but not $2500.00.

Good luck with that.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:37 PM
waste of money... you just plunked down almost $2500.00 for a computer that has less processing power than a mac mini.

O noes!

Think about it... I don't care how nice it looks, its still going to be slow slow slow.

I'm thinking about it. And the more I think, the more it doesn't matter how nice you think it looks.

The life expectency (from a processing power standpoint) is not that great.

I don't think anyone is doing any heavy editing with video on this laptop.

It is definately NOT worth the money. $1000.00 maybe, but not $2500.00.

To you it is not worth $2500. You can't say things absolutely (It is definItely NOT worth the money) because it makes you look rigid and close-minded. Look at the Sony TZ series. This compares very favorably price wise with that.

Good luck with that.[/QUOTE]

island
Jan 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
waste of money... you just plunked down almost $2500.00 for a computer that has less processing power than a mac mini. Think about it... I don't care how nice it looks, its still going to be slow slow slow. The life expectency (from a processing power standpoint) is not that great. It is definately NOT worth the money. $1000.00 maybe, but not $2500.00.

Good luck with that.

Why does everyone spend the time to put down people liking the ultra-portable? It's not replacing the Macbook or the Macbook Pro, it's another option. Everyone should be glad we get more choices in laptops and stop bitching about how you can't afford it or how it's not for you.

Enjoy.

polevault139
Jan 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
Everyone should be glad we get more choices in laptops and stop bitching about how you can't afford it or how it's not for you.

Enjoy.

Exactly correct. As of now I am happy typing on my Macbook but if I was able to get a MBA I would jump on the opportunity. Too bad tuition is due in a week.

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
I will bet you $5.00 that in 1 year, this will be one of the most disappointing products that apple has rolled out. They will sell a lot initially, but that will slow down over the next few months. The overwhelming response to this product in the initial few hours has been very negative. I can only imagine what it will be like in the next few weeks to months.

I agree, this is not the product for me. If it is the product for you, then go for it, enjoy.

I hope I am wrong, but I am usually not. I think apple has made a tremendous mistake. Mark my words (my three degrees in engineering and 20 years of experience says I have a little bit of insight)

This is not the product the typical mac user will buy. A PC user yes, a mac user no ..

desenso
Jan 15, 2008, 02:51 PM
Ordered one too. Slightly baffled by the naysayers in here. I'll happily trade in my bulky 15" MacBook Pro for one. I've been wanting a 13" MacBook Pro for some time... this is even better than I could have hoped for. The last time I used my optical drive was when I installed Leopard... the day it came out.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
I agree, this is not the product for me. If it is the product for you, then go for it, enjoy.

Then don't belittle someone who is going for it. It's just kind of rude, especially considering someone who is going for it already knows its pros and cons.

I hope I am wrong, but I am usually not. I think apple has made a tremendous mistake. Mark my words (my three degrees in engineering and 20 years of experience says I have a little bit of insight)

This is not the product the typical mac user will buy. A PC user yes, a mac user no ..

And your insight is appreciated. We'll have to see. Remember, I don't think Apple is expecting this to sell as much as the iPhone or iPod, this is merely the first generation of a new category they entered. And if you look at it objectively, they did a pretty damn good job with it.

desenso
Jan 15, 2008, 02:53 PM

Good luck with that.

Who is paying $2,500?

You should put up a warning sign... Your tears are making the floor slippery.

Artofilm
Jan 15, 2008, 02:54 PM

Why aren't you working at Apple with everyone else then?
Seriously, it drives me crazy when people think they know what they are talking about. There is a reason Steve Jobs is the head of the company and not you, and just because you have degrees and "wisdom" does not make you right.

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
I agree, I think they did a great job with it. I think paying $2500.00 for it is ridiculous.

amrk47
Jan 15, 2008, 02:58 PM
lol woww
this has to be the worse apple product in history

ram soldered on board? battery not replaceable? 1.6ghz? $1800?

haha what a piece of junk

i cant wait for the "my macbook air burnt me today" threads

this thing is gonna over heat to much due to its incredible thin size

i foresee many many many problems with this MBA

amrk47
Jan 15, 2008, 02:59 PM
and it has integrated graphics
hahahaha

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
its your money, you "proabbly" earned it you can do what you want.

but to me, its the biggest rip off in the history of computing IMO.

amrk47
Jan 15, 2008, 03:03 PM

cosign that

the only decent products apple has are the MBP and the Iphone

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 03:04 PM
Listen, I am a die hard apple fan. I love the company, I love its products, but they have made some colossal mistakes along the way. I know that I am not Steve Jobs, but he is not perfect, he has made some boo boo's in his career. Its not to say he is not brilliant, I am a huge fan, and he saved the company in the late 90's.

I think the MB Air is a sexy, nice machine, which fits a certain niche. Having said that, I think it is way overpriced for what you get, and doesn't have that much of an advantage over its current line-up of notebook computers.

I also think it is underpowered and people will be disappointed with the performance and find that they have to replace it sooner than expected (which means more $$).

You have to be objective and cannot simply put a blindfold on and because it comes from the mouth of Jobs and it is made by apple that all is good in the world. That sounds rather cultish to me.

I think this thing is overpriced, underpowered, and will not sell well.

When someone gets one please let us know how it is from a performance perspective, be honest.

amrk47
Jan 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
and it has a tiny 80gb hard drive thats not replaceable

oh god what a disaster

ok im done

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
lol woww
this has to be the worse apple product in history

ram soldered on board? battery not replaceable? 1.6ghz? $1800?

haha what a piece of junk

i cant wait for the "my macbook air burnt me today" threads

this thing is gonna over heat to much due to its incredible thin size

i foresee many many many problems with this MBA

Worst Apple product in history? I understand that for the dimm (count it), hyperbole is a very commonly used arguing tactic, but it really doesn't work here. The simple fact is that this compares very favorably price-wise and feature-wise with its main competitor, the Sony TZ series. And foresee problems all you want, they haven't happened yet.

and it has integrated graphics
hahahaha

Did you expect dual SLI's?

See above.

EDIT to amrk: 80 GB is fine for the market they were trying to target. Besides, not everyone needs over 100 GB of...video files like you have. 80 is fine for those of us who use our computers for portable computing, lots of documents, and the internet.

gazfocus
Jan 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
Firstly, congratulations to all the MBA buyers out there.

Secondly, all you that are making negative comments about the people buying the MacBook Air's, why don't you shut up?

I don't think much of the MacBook Air (but that's mainly because I was genuinely hoping for a MacBook Pro update), but I'm genuinely pleased for the people who love it enough to buy one.

MBA Buyers: You will love your new laptops I'm sure, and please keep us posted on how you get on with them, They will sell, because they are somewhat unique in their design.

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
Just ordered 2 a high end and low end as a gift :)

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
Why aren't you working at Apple with everyone else then?

Seriously, it drives me crazy when people think they know what they are talking about. There is a reason Steve Jobs is the head of the company and not you, and just because you have degrees and "wisdom" does not make you right.

Because I switched careers and am now a physician practicing cardiology. I was bored with engineering. It wasn't fun anymore.

Steve Jobs is not the almighty. He makes mistakes sometimes. I think this is one of them.

jnc
Jan 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
Just ordered 2 a high end and low end as a gift :)

This.. as a mere gift? I want to know you.

:D

anotherarunan
Jan 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
im sorry people but compare this thing to the sony TZ series

https://shop.sonystyle-europe.com:443/SonyStyle/catalog/setCurrentItem/(xcm=PCM_b2ccrmstandard&layout=15_108_60_49_109_113_2&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&bc_search=sfalse&next=seeItem&carea=465469B0E7FE00ECE10080002BC29B85&citem=465469B0E7FE00ECE10080002BC29B8545C62645D882007A000000002BC29B71)/.do

and the macbookair suddenly looks like GOOD value for money!

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
Firstly, congratulations to all the MBA buyers out there.

Secondly, all you that are making negative comments about the people buying the MacBook Air's, why don't you shut up?

I don't think much of the MacBook Air (but that's mainly because I was genuinely hoping for a MacBook Pro update), but I'm genuinely pleased for the people who love it enough to buy one.

MBA Buyers: You will love your new laptops I'm sure, and please keep us posted on how you get on with them, They will sell, because they are somewhat unique in their design.

Unless we moved to Iran, this is still a free country. We are free to express our views. If people want to waste their money they are free to do that also. This is America!!!

Boy, Jobs really had a Cult of Personality..... 80's flashback.

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
Because I switched careers and am now a physician practicing cardiology. I was bored with engineering. It wasn't fun anymore.

Steve Jobs is not the almighty. He makes mistakes sometimes. I think this is one of them.

How on earth does someone do a career switch like that? You'd have to get another degree and do oodles of training. Seems like what you're actually saying is you're incredibly indecisive.

Aranince
Jan 15, 2008, 03:20 PM
Unless we moved to Iran, this is still a free country. We are free to express our views. If people want to waste their money they are free to do that also. This is America!!!

Just because you can...doesn't mean you should. I CAN kill someone...but I rather not deal with the consequences.

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:21 PM

I am happy with it if not sell it and buy another but had a MBP, loved the case, hated the keyboard, and latch.....

This is the best of both worlds...PS the sony a few years ago was supper small and was over 3K, and with a ED disc it was 1699.00 for the lowend one

Shipping by FEB 6 Delivery by Feb 12!!!!!!

Bobioden
Jan 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
Badandy, how did you configure the one your ordered?

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
How on earth does someone do a career switch like that? You'd have to get another degree and do oodles of training. Seems like what you're actually saying is you're incredibly indecisive.

yep... 10 years of my life dedicated to training so I can help people. Its not being indecisive its taking time to find something you enjoy, its a calling. I would appreciate it if you do not make personal comments. I think that is very inappropriate.

Just because you can...doesn't mean you should. I CAN kill someone...but I rather not deal with the consequences.

Man, you need to chill out. Its just a computer.

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
yep... 10 years of my life dedicated to training so I can help people. Its not being indecisive its taking time to find something you enjoy, its a calling. I would appreciate it if you do not make personal comments. I think that is very inappropriate.

You posted personal information on an internet messageboard. I'm sure that if you have the intelligence to practice medicine then you're quite capable of working out just what is wrong with your statement.

dpaanlka
Jan 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
All this complaining is surprising and disappointing. For me, personally, I think the MacBook Air is exactly what I've always wanted. I find other laptops either too thick and heavy or too small and cramped in the screen and keyboard area.

This coming from someone that still owns four PowerBook Duos...

aquajet
Jan 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
This is America!!!

No, this is macrumors, where people from many different countries come to talk about stuff.

robrose20
Jan 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
No, this is macrumors, where people from many different countries come to talk about stuff.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. My apologies. That was pretty naive on my part. I will be quiet now.

When someone gets the MB Air let us know how it is ..

Shaduu
Jan 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
'Gratz on the AirBooks, I'd love one myself but it's way over-budget for a student.

To all those wondering who could possibly use a 1.6GHz machine with integrated graphics then you're forgetting about a huge group: students. If I had the money, I'd buy one of these in a shot. Instead of lugging around a 15" slab of titanium I could have an ultrathin 13" that's ideal for take notes in class, doing research and listening to music. The MBAs are absolutely perfect for students not involved in heavy CAD, video or graphics work but instead want a light and compact machine to do everyday things on.

And even if they do bomb, maybe they'll turn out like the Cube and become sought after. :D

LizKat
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM

Good luck with that.

What computer is "worth the money?" It's an entirely personal decision.

And, LOL, who plunked down "almost 2500?" I decided to buy the high end and some of the add ons. I wish it had been only 2500!! But that's ok, I like rice and beans and tomatoes with varied herbs and the occasional unlucky chicken. I buy pantry stock in bulk in October so I'm pretty much covered until spring for food. I expect to take most of cost of the Airhead (my name for the thing) out of my budgets for excess heating fuel usage and excess vehicle gasoline usage. The woodstove is a'goin' and the car is parked under about six inches of new fluffy stuff so all I gotta do is shovel out the driveway for the FedEx guy on the day my sweet little Airhead comes down the road. Airhead! It's so much more fun a name than Macbook Air :)

aquajet
Jan 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
All this complaining is surprising and disappointing.

Agreed. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but it appears to be an engineering feat nonetheless. Certain tradeoffs must be made for those who want the smallest of laptops, including extra ports and the fact that miniaturized parts cost more. Some people just aren't able to look beyond the numbers.

I must say, this is a device which certainly isn't for me, though I'm certain my father would go for one.

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
'Gratz on the AirBooks, I'd love one myself but it's way over-budget for a student.

To all those wondering who could possibly use a 1.6GHz machine with integrated graphics then you're forgetting about a huge group: students. If I had the money, I'd buy one of these in a shot. Instead of lugging around a 15" slab of titanium I could have an ultrathin 13" that's ideal for take notes in class, doing research and listening to music. The MBAs are absolutely perfect for students not involved in heavy CAD, video or graphics work but instead want a light and compact machine to do everyday things on.

And even if they do bomb, maybe they'll turn out like the Cube and become sought after. :D

And you're forgetting the one thing which most students are - very, very poor. $1799 on this or $499 on a similarly specced machine from HP or Dell and there is no contest.

Shaduu
Jan 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
And you're forgetting the one thing which most students are - very, very poor. $1799 on this or $499 on a similarly specced machine from HP or Dell and there is no contest.

Evidently you didn't read my first sentence. :)

gyumilly
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM

I think students are better off MB. MBA seems to be for business imo.

amrk47
Jan 15, 2008, 03:44 PM
Asus eee >>>> MBA

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evidently you didn't read my first sentence. :)

Well anyway, I forgot to mention that when you're a student with a textbook or two in your bag, an extra 2lb saving on the computer doesn't really make much difference. I know there are lots of students who like to watch DVDs on their computer too, especially when staying away from home. MacBook Air can't cope with that unless you buy a break out box and really, that destroys the elegance.

akadmon
Jan 15, 2008, 03:45 PM
I will bet you $5.00 that in 1 year, this will be one of the most disappointing products that apple has rolled out. They will sell a lot initially [...]

Judging by this thread, Apple will not sell many of these at all. This thing is a complete joke. Sure, if you can afford to throw money away on this fragile, underpowered toy, it's your right to do so. Most reasonable people won't.

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 03:47 PM
Judging by this thread, Apple will not sell many of these at all. This thing is a complete joke. Sure, if you can afford to throw money away on this fragile, underpowered toy, it's your right to do so. Most reasonable people won't.

Powermac G4 Cube!

crazydrumma
Jan 15, 2008, 03:48 PM
On a side note: Did anyone really think Apple could make a superslim laptop that didn't sacrifice anything and was inexpensive? Are you all idiots?

We aren't idiots. It's not the sacrifice of ports. It's not JUST due to the fact that it's expensive. I know thin is in, but honestly, I carry my macbook everywhere. TWO POUNDS DOES NOT MATTER! Especially between 5 and 3. Also, note that you cannot get your macbook air to weigh 3 pounds unless you spend 3,000 to get the 64 gb hard drive.

My main point was this: It's not worth it simply because the cons far outweight the pros. It's ugly, it's expensive, it doesn't even come with an apple remote, etc. I'm not saying those who have all the money to spend on new things shouldn't buy it. Go for it! However, I will never buy a macbook air. Not a chance.

skunk
Jan 15, 2008, 03:51 PM
Powermac G4 Cube!Ah, the computer for the discerning. Still going strong and silently after 6 years. Best Mac I've had.

desenso
Jan 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
Remember how people were lusting after a replacement for a 12" PowerBook yesterday? Well we now have the next generation of that, and guess what, it's cheaper than the 12" PowerBook used to be.

Nevertheless, this is the biggest piece of ***** that Apple has released according to people here. Probably the same people that wanted the 12" PowerBook, but probably mostly just idiots who never intended to buy one in the first place.

Sorry it's not a new Newton.

:rolleyes:

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
It is worth it to some of us we are all not starving students, my other passion is cars and I have had way to many high end cars, a nice notebook for surfing is just that, I have had maybe 10 macs this year.alone.... I did not even like the MBP But i dont bash it..........let people get what they want,and move on......

Shaduu
Jan 15, 2008, 03:54 PM
Well anyway, I forgot to mention that when you're a student with a textbook or two in your bag, an extra 2lb saving on the computer doesn't really make much difference. I know there are lots of students who like to watch DVDs on their computer too, especially when staying away from home. MacBook Air can't cope with that unless you buy a break out box and really, that destroys the elegance.

I'm a student myself so I can easily see the benefits of an MBA, maybe not so much in weight but definitely in size. The AirBook is smaller than my thinnest textbook and that means a helluva lot to me. The less size my laptop takes up in my bag, the more room for other academic crap I usually have to carry outside my bag. The smaller dimensions just make perfect sense to me.

About the DVD thing, I'd still have the ability to hijack my TiBook drive if need be. I haven't touched my optical drive in months thanks to the old PC I have knocking around that rips CDs, DVDs and is used as a huge network drive. What possible need do I have for an internal optical?

LizKat
Ah, the computer for the discerning. Still going strong and silently after 6 years. Best Mac I've had.

What, you skipped the SE30? ;)

zepharus

you hit the nail on the HEAD. I love macs and was waiting until today to decide on another purchase.

Im just completely underwhelmed at this MBA thing. This is basically, and thinner, slower, non upgradeable Macbook, with a few of the MBP features.

And for the lovely price of $1800 bucks. Heck for a $1300 more you can get a 200Mhz speed bump and smaller HD to boot!! Not at all a good deal or money well spent if you ask me. Im disappointed, and i want to see what morons order this thing... I love Macs, but im not drinking the Kool-aid if it tastes bad.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
Zepharus:

What did you expect for a superslim laptop?

Masquerade
Jan 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
the thing was only one speaker!!! :/

billmister
Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
First Off to the OP, Congrats on the purchase. If you feel comfortable with your purchase that's all that matters.

Now My 2 cents (opinion for the once who don't know what that means).
Ok I like apple alot. I think their one of the BEST companies out! They have, in my opinion, very solid products with high quality with great look.

I purchased my first iMac a little over a year ago, and it's STILL going way strong. Upgrading my HD to 500gig, my ram to 2Gb, my 17' white iMac is kicking @$$. whether it's playing Doom, having multitasking appls (mail, firefox, itunes, finder, pages, ichat, adium, and previewing a video all together). It runs smooth with ZERO PROBLEMS.

For what i paid, $1,200 i believe i got what was right. A great company backing up my imac, good screen quality and size, enough hard drive, and ram.

NOw.....

If i get this correctly, you are getting LESS usb ports. LESS a cd/dvd drive. LESS HD space. PATA hard Drive. for $1000 more you get the 64gig. LOL EXTREMELY THIN computer for $1,700??? Which is REAL CLOSE to a macbook PRO.... But if you want the 64gig, will be $3,000+:eek:

I really thought it could of been an error in pricing. I though people would think it's to expensive and not buy it. I mean it's only obvious you getting less... For more money.

Now i'm not rich... Nor am i poor. But it really doesn't take much for me to realize when your getting something a bit way to less for the money. Now apple has been reasonable with prices when it came to ipods, imacs, etc... But with this new laptop, i think they really took it overboard. And the funny part is that people are actually waiting in line to get something less, for more money? :confused:

I just don't get it. I just don't know how there are people that follow that type of stuff? I mean Apple is in the position where they can poop and put on loops to use as earings, and there will be people waiting in line to buy it? LOL

I don't know... I will be looking foward to the price drops on the macbooks either on ebay or refurbished. the New macbook Air is not for me. I don't need to be THAT wireless.

One thing i found quite usefull for laptop users is their external Time machine thing. THat seems pretty cool.

I like apple alot, but i think they are going a little overboard on this product. But then again, they will have followers who will pay. So who cares.

Reminds me of when the iphone first came out. Even though some complained, others were litteraly waiting in line for it. Don't get me wrong iphone is a worth it product (just not cool with ATT). They bought it and not one complain about it.

THEN the price dropped like $200 and there they were trying to get their discount.... But they were satisfied with their $500 purchase (or was it $600?)

Anyway. I'm happy with my imac, and to the OP, hope you enjoy and make great use out of your macbook air.

No hate intended. If you are happy congrats, enjoy it, you're getting top of the line product. Make sure to post your opinions when you get it so we know feedback on the product! ;)

zepharus
Jan 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
Zepharus:

What did you expect for a superslim laptop?

Tonestly the features and such are fine. The pricing is about $400 too high. seriously, in what application would this over a MB make ANY sense?

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
Tonestly the features and such are fine. The pricing is about $400 too high. seriously, in what application would this over a MB make ANY sense?

There really is no good reason for buying this notebook. It's length and height are very similar to the macbook only the width is slimmer.... does that little bit of extra thinness really make that much difference to most people who want a portable lap top? No doubt the thinner dimentions will make it even more delicate than the already unsubstantial macbook.The battery life is worse than that of the already marginal macbook battery life (dont' for a second believe apples estimate). The keyboard retains the macbook horrible chicklet style keys. The processor and hard drive aren't up to the level of the macbook which is significantly cheaper.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 04:08 PM

It's simply not possible to lower it by $400. This is priced competitively for what it is. Miniaturization comes at a very heavy price, everyone should know this by now. Remember the whole iPod nano complainers? BuT fOr $50 mOrE U cOuLd LiKe gEt a FuLl iPoD, LolZ!

There really is no good reason for buying this notebook. It's length and height are very similar to the macbook only the width is slimmer.... does that little bit of extra thinness really make that much difference to most people who want a portable lap top? No doubt the thinner dimentions will make it even more delicate than the already unsubstantial macbook.The battery life is worse than that of the already marginal macbook battery life (dont' for a second believe apples estimate). The keyboard retains the macbook horrible chicklet style keys. The processor and hard drive aren't up to the level of the macbook which is significantly cheaper.

You registered today, and all of your posts are bashing the MBA. You really aren't important.

But in response to one of your "points", I type 110 words per minute on those little "chicklet" keys.

sportsnut
Jan 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
Congrats to all who have ordered the MacBook Air. :cool:

BTW

I sure wish all the bashers would tell us what kind of cheese they want with their whine;)

nbs2
Jan 15, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'd like to tell those who view the purchase as a waste of money about a friend of mine. He's a rather accomplished psych professor at a major university. He has lead authored 7 books, co-authored another 8. He give presentations on a fairly regular basis, and travels extensively. He's used Apple products for the last few years, but is by no means an expert.

Now, which of you is willing to tell him that his 6GB of text documents (plus another 10GB of materials) will not be accommodated by the tiny 80GB hard drive. I would like another person to please clarify the absurd FAA rules on spare Lithium batteries and why he shouldn't concern himself with getting as much battery life as possible from a single battery. That person can, or delegate another to, explain to him that every ounce and square inch doesn't matter when you travel for a week at a time on a single carry on.

Really. Please, be my guest.

ddarko
Jan 15, 2008, 04:26 PM
Jesus Christ, this happens every time Apple introduces a new product. It doesn't have every feature on somebody's checklist and instead of just saying this product doesn't fulfill my needs, they proclaim that the product is therefore a MISTAKE. How self-centered can you be? I've got no problem with anyone say that features XYZ are important to me, this product doesn't have them so I won't buy it. I respect that, I really do. But is it so hard to imagine that other people have different priorities?

Apple and Jobs surely have and will continue to make many many mistakes but the Macbook Air isn't one of them. I can EASILY see tons of people who will LOVE the Macbook Air's form factor and have that as the overriding consideration. All you people who are complaining about the small hard drive size or "underpowered" processor: can't you accept that the Macbook Air isn't a desktop replacement or even a substitute for a more-featured notebook? Its very design should clue you in that it's meant as a complement to someone who ALREADY owns another computer. You don't develop a feature like Remote Disc unless you think the buyer is going to have another computer.

Obviously, it would make no sense to buy this computer if you want it to store tons of porn/movies. But if you're going to use it on the road with email, word processing, Powerpoint, etc. or take it to class or the library: this is a GREAT machine. That's why all this talk about it being "underpowered" is ridiculous. Power/speed is not an absolute - whether a machine is "slow" depends entirely on what is being done with it. For Final Cut Pro or Photoshop editing, this machine probably won't be ideal. But for the tasks that it was obviously designed for? It'll be great.

One thing that still makes Apple distinctive is that it embraces product segmentation. It doesn't design every machine to be all things to all people. Almost every other industry does this - does anyone seriously criticize a Honda Accord for not doing 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds like a Ferrari? No b/c it's understood a Honda Accord isn't designed to do what a Ferrari does and vice versa - but there seem to be this stubborn mindset among a lot of computer users that every computer must be able to run every program with equal speed and dexterity. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Product segmentation is good because it brings more options to the table. Kudos to Apple.

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
Jesus Christ, this happens every time Apple introduces a new product. It doesn't have every feature on somebody's checklist and instead of just saying this product doesn't fulfill my needs, they proclaim that the product is therefore a MISTAKE. How self-centered can you be? I've got no problem with anyone say that features XYZ are important to me, this product doesn't have them so I won't buy it. I respect that, I really do. But is it so hard to imagine that other people have different priorities?

Apple and Jobs surely have and will continue to make many many mistakes but the Macbook Air isn't one of them. I can EASILY see tons of people who will LOVE the Macbook Air's form factor and have that as the overriding consideration. All you people who are complaining about the small hard drive size or "underpowered" processor: can't you accept that the Macbook Air isn't a desktop replacement or even a substitute for a more-featured notebook? Its very design should clue you in that it's meant as a complement to someone who ALREADY owns another computer. You don't develop a feature like Remote Disc unless you think the buyer is going to have another computer.

Obviously, it would make no sense to buy this computer if you want it to store tons of porn/movies. But if you're going to use it on the road with email, word processing, Powerpoint, etc. or take it to class or the library: this is a GREAT machine. That's why all this talk about it being "underpowered" is ridiculous. Power/speed is not an absolute - whether a machine is "slow" depends entirely on what is being done with it. For Final Cut Pro or Photoshop editing, this machine probably won't be ideal. But for the tasks that it was obviously designed for? It'll be great.

One thing that still makes Apple distinctive is that it embraces product segmentation. It doesn't design every machine to be all things to all people. Almost every other industry does this - does anyone seriously criticize a Honda Accord for not doing 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds like a Ferrari? No b/c it's understood a Honda Accord isn't designed to do what a Ferrari does and vice versa - but there seem to be this stubborn mindset among a lot of computer users that every computer must be able to run every program with equal speed and dexterity. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Product segmentation is good because it brings more options to the table. Kudos to Apple.

Well if honda charged 600 grand for an accord you mind have a point.

It's simply not possible to lower it by $400. This is priced competitively for what it is. Miniaturization comes at a very heavy price, everyone should know this by now. Remember the whole iPod nano complainers? BuT fOr $50 mOrE U cOuLd LiKe gEt a FuLl iPoD, LolZ!

You registered today, and all of your posts are bashing the MBA. You really aren't important.

But in response to one of your "points", I type 110 words per minute on those little "chicklet" keys.

Actually I have been on this forum for a long time under another name. Thanks for coming out though.

btw your abilities with the macbook keyboard astounds me

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 04:43 PM

Except for the fact that charging that amount would be outpricing the competition by a ludicrous amount. You are forgetting that the MBA is priced fairly against the competition! Look at the Sony TZ, the MBA is, if not the steal of the century, at least fairly priced.

Actually I have been on this forum for a long time under another name. Thanks for coming out though.

O yes, so you just happened to re-register on MacRumors today under a new name where 100% of your posts are expressing your dissatisfaction with the MBA?

btw your abilities with the macbook keyboard astounds me

It's pretty much any keyboard that has some tactile feedback, which both my Powerbook 12" and the macbook have.

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Except for the fact that charging that amount would be outpricing the competition by a ludicrous amount. You are forgetting that the MBA is priced fairly against the competition! Look at the Sony TZ, the MBA is, if not the steal of the century, at least fairly priced.

the sony TZ is a superior machine in many respects, it is lighter, has much longer battery life, has as smaller screen ect. Also sony has a habit of overpricing their computers too so i wouldn't assume fair market prices from them. The fact remains that the macbook air is substandard in every respect except.... you guessed it thinness

O yes, so you just happened to re-register on MacRumors today under a new name where 100% of your posts are expressing your dissatisfaction with the MBA?

as a matter of fact yes

It's pretty much any keyboard that has some tactile feedback, which both my Powerbook 12" and the macbook have.

the macbook keyboard is a flawed design and once again is based only one looks not function

jnc
Jan 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
Well anyway, I forgot to mention that when you're a student with a textbook or two in your bag, an extra 2lb saving on the computer doesn't really make much difference.

This student disagrees.

I know there are lots of students who like to watch DVDs on their computer too, especially when staying away from home. MacBook Air can't cope with that unless you buy a break out box and really, that destroys the elegance.

I think anyone who's in the market for a MBA can rip a DVD themselves or obtain a torrent. I can't remember the last time I played a physical DVD.

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 04:52 PM
The number of posts comprised purely of elitism is much higher here than I have ever seen on any other message board.

I come here and I constantly see messages like the one above posted by "nbs2" about his friend. If people are not boasting about their own job/income etc then they are trying to score points off each other by talking about people they know or their family.

I don't understand it. Why does this community attract this sort of attitude?

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 04:55 PM
The number of posts comprised purely of elitism is much higher here than I have ever seen on any other message board.

I come here and I constantly see messages like the one above posted by "nbs2" about his friend. If people are not boasting about their own job/income etc then they are trying to score points off each other by talking about people they know or their family.

It's part of the "cult of Mac". Some people honestly believe they become better people by virtue of the brand names they identify themselves with. Don't worry; the rest of us see them the way you do.

MazingerZ
Jan 15, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ordered one...should complement my current MBP pro when I travel. :apple:

neiltc13
Jan 15, 2008, 04:59 PM

So instead of carrying one machine, you're going to carry two, one of which will be vastly inferior to the other.

MazingerZ
Jan 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
So instead of carrying one machine, you're going to carry two, one of which will be vastly inferior to the other.

Nope, the MBP pro stays at home connected to my 30" Display.

jnc
Jan 15, 2008, 05:02 PM

Now that I don't understand. :p You'll travel with both computers?

Never mind - saw the post above. That's the home setup I wanted, but I went with a Mac Pro. I'll still get a MBP for on-the-go (Current MacBook will go to a family member).

Don't you think juggling two notebooks will get annoying? Personally I wish I could sync files to my MB like I can an iPod :D

ddarko
Jan 15, 2008, 05:05 PM

Wrong. It's got nothing to do with the price of the cars because even if the cars were in the same price range, you still wouldn't criticize a car because it doesn't do what another car can. No one says the Accord is flawed because it can't carry the youth soccer team like the the Dodge Caravan minivan, a similarly priced vehicle. You simply recognizes that Accord vs. Caravan is a senseless apples-to-oranges comparison.

The same goes for Macbook Air versus Macbook Pro versus Mac Pro. Now, I completely agree that price is a very legitimate criticism if you questioning whether the price is too high for what the Macbook Air is designed to achieve. On that basis, maybe the Macbook Air is too expensive, I think it's a valid criticism. But if you're saying the price is too high because you can get more speed, more space, more connectivity choices with another machine, I say that's a mistaken way to look at it.

MazingerZ
Jan 15, 2008, 05:10 PM
Don't you think juggling two notebooks will get annoying? Personally I wish I could sync files to my MB like I can an iPod :D

Yep, it will be. I'm own a software development company so I might look into some file syncing solution. Email is easy since we have an exchange server hosting all our emails.

Travelling over 200k miles a year from the US to Asia, my bag is now be getting 2lbs lighter. Along with my Kindle to hold my reading material, I've shed a lot of lbs this year.

ditzy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
I've been reading through this thread and to be honest I'm kind of shocked at everyones reactions. Whatever makes a product worth buying in my opinion is all good. For some people I'm sure that the MBA is the best computer on the market for their needs. For others the other options are more their style. A person doesn't have to have more money than sense to want the MBA, and a person isn't tight because they wouldn't have one.

zepharus
Jan 15, 2008, 05:14 PM

Is the product a Mistake? Well NO not to manfucture. What is a mistake is the price. The simple fact is people keep saying that that is the price you pay for small form factor and ultra portability.

This thing is at its thickest .75" .I love apple but the fact that they felt the need to taper this product implies that they really wanted to make it smaller than they physically could . So you are telling me that .75" vs 1" is such a substantial space saver that the premium justifies this? You MUST be kidding.

Just as thier ads show... I could stuff a macbook into an envelope too. guess what... The envelope will be .25" thicker...

sk8ordie
Jan 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
NEWSFLASH:

Small is expensive!!

In other news, water is wet.

Back to you, Steve.

zepharus
Yep, it will be. I'm own a software development company so I might look into some file syncing solution. Email is easy since we have an exchange server hosting all our emails.

Travelling over 200k miles a year from the US to Asia, my bag is now be getting 2lbs lighter. Along with my Kindle to hold my reading material, I've shed a lot of lbs this year.

you Purchase this becasue you can afford to and youll be nary the worse in the purse. Id be willing to bet that 2lbs wouldnt be that big a deal if money were a factor...thus is the excessive nature of the Human animal

Schmoe0013
good for you!

i'm jealous!

daneoni
Jan 15, 2008, 05:19 PM
Don't get me wrong people are still gonna buy the thing because it what they want (and for a minority...what they need) and if they have the money they have every right to buy it...and they should

BUT

It is just not worth it IMHO. Its only two pounds lighter, everything is soldiered unto the board even the RAM, battery is not user replaceable (this is a big no no for me) and despite being underpowered it cant even manage a superior battery life (only 5 hours) to current offerings. Seriously?

Why bother?

BUT

As someone has said, if i was loaded then by all means i'd buy it but i'd be buying it purely because it looks good (and i'd leave it on a coffee table to compliment the living room) not because it'll help me do any serious work

Also what's with the noise from Bedandy can't you make a point without coming off as condescending?

Oh and i can't say i'm surprised Cybergypsy got one...more power to you. Hope you enjoy it.....for the next 5 months......or less :p

zepharus
Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 PM

L O L

steve31
Jan 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
Ordered one with the 64GB SSD. Just sold my MB. This is what I was looking for. Also got the superdrive add on. Cant wait! Looks AWSOME!! But VERY pricey!!

MazingerZ
Jan 15, 2008, 05:22 PM
you Purchase this becasue you can afford to and youll be nary the worse in the purse. Id be willing to bet that 2lbs wouldnt be that big a deal if money were a factor...thus is the excessive nature of the Human animal

I wouldn't buy one if it was only going to be my computer.

zepharus
Jan 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
Don't get me wrong people are still gonna buy the thing because it what they want (and for a minority...what they need) and if they have the money they have every right to buy it...and they should

BUT

It is just not worth it IMHO. Its only two pounds lighter, everything is soldiered unto the board even the RAM, battery is not user replaceable (this is a big no no for me) and despite being underpowered it cant even manage a superior battery life (only 5 hours) to current offerings. Seriously?

Why bother?

BUT

As someone has said, if i was loaded then by all means i'd buy it but i'd be buying it purely because it looks good (and i'd leave it on a coffee table to compliment the living room) not because it'll help me do any serious work

Also what's with the noise from Bedandy can't you make a point without coming off as condescending?

Oh and i can't say i'm surprised Cybergypsy got one...more power to you. Hope you enjoy it.....for the next 5 months......or less :p

LOL post of the thread! You are spot on. They buy becasue money is no issue. Im squarley in the working middle class, and could afford to buy if i wanted one... even for the coffe table, but common sense has to take over at some point here. This is CLEARLY not worth the month in any way, if money is an issue..

The Gypsy comment is priceless. The over under on ownership stands at 2 months 16 days here. On another note. Gypsy is the EXACT target consumer that Apple is gunning for..... to a T.

pinksatin
Jan 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
The MBA looks amazing... I think its wonderful that people are buying... I am more interested in a faster machine with a larger hard drive... so its not for me... but it IS for a lot of people... and I could see many business professionals switching to mac for this one... If you love mac, be happy about this one...

JSRockit
Jan 15, 2008, 05:31 PM
Love the Macbook Air...but ordered a black refurbed macbook instead today.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:32 PM

Because I'm smarter than those I ridicule on these boards.

Matiek
Jan 15, 2008, 05:34 PM
Compare the MBP to this comparable ultra portable:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644507782&parentCategoryId=16154&XID=O:sony%20tz:dg_vinb_gglsrch

The MBA isn't for eveyone. There is no one size fits all for Mac users. Everyone is just upset that they didn't get a bright shiny new mac that suits them.

ddarko
Jan 15, 2008, 05:38 PM

Get off your horse before you fall and hurt your head. What you say is nothing more than utterly obvious and not some great insight. "You learn to live with what you have": that's obvious. But how the heck do you go from there to the attitude that living with anything more is "excessive"? And who appointed you to make that judgment for others? Far too much sanctimonious smugness for my taste. Yeah, some people can fly first class because the cost is nothing for them. So that makes flying in first class wrong or "excessive"? Are people flying in economy better, more moral folks, not as prone to the "excessive nature of the Human animal"? LOL.

Cybergypsy
Jan 15, 2008, 05:45 PM
Why Not? I just surf and mail I am sure it will be fine!!!

ArmyKnight12
I agree.

Badandy
I'm having a hard decision between this and a black macbook with 4 GB of memory. I'm leaning towards the macbook, but I'm not going to go whine about Apple releasing the MBA just because it isn't 100% perfect for me.

Personally, I'm getting the above-stated MB and will get a super-slim Apple in 2 years once I can get an SSD drive for a reasonable price among other features. I don't want a 4200 RPM drive right now, I either want a 5400, 7200, or an SSD. Don't buy one if you don't want to. But the MBA is sweet, don't get that confused.

People, miniaturization is expensive. You guys honestly think that it costs the same to put all this stuff into a MBA than it does to put it into a MB? Cmon, I know Apple users aren't the most technologically proficient of the bunch, but these are a few of the rules you should know:

-Prices are high to start out. They get lower. I bought the iPhone when it was $600, now it's $400. Was I whining? No, because at least I understood this basic rule.
-You are not going to get a portable computer with the exact same specs as a desktop computer.
-Desktops, for equivalent performance, are immensely cheaper than laptops.
-Standard hard-drive sizes will continue to go up
-RAM prices will continue to go down.

That's pretty much it, learn it people.

Mr Ikasu
Jan 15, 2008, 05:50 PM
Just ordered one. Base spec. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Perfect for me. I have my main computer as an iMac (G5) at the moment and that is where I do almost all my proper work. I also had (until I sold it last week) a MacBook which I would take to school when I needed it and do work and use on holiday etc.

This gives me the perfect replacement.
- Powerful computer at home
- Light, durable computer for the road

I don't care about the footprint being smaller, I have no problem carrying something the size of a sheet of paper. Its the weight that has kept me from carrying my MacBook everywhere. It does get tiresome on your back all the time.

I won't deny that it is quite expensive and a luxury but I have earned my money and I get a really cool new piece of kit that actually fits my needs.

The things that do concern me are the lack of firewire. Now and again I have used my MacBook with a FW Audio Interface to do some recording of a mates band. I guess now I will have to use his MacBook. Not a travesty but I could do without that hastle. Plus I will probably need a USB hub when I use it for extended periods (holidays etc.).
Secondly I would have liked to see a smaller bezel. I have always loved that look in the PB/MBP. Also not sure about the massive bowl effect on the bottom. I do like the flat look of MacBook. I can't imagine not falling in love once I get my hands on it though.

Now the wait...

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
Just ordered one. Base spec. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Perfect for me. I have my main computer as an iMac (G5) at the moment and that is where I do almost all my proper work. I also had (until I sold it last week) a MacBook which I would take to school when I needed it and do work and use on holiday etc.

This gives me the perfect replacement.
- Powerful computer at home
- Light, durable computer for the road

how do you know it's durable?? if past experience is any think to go by it will be even less durable than the already very fragile macbook. In anycase how can you make this assumption with out even seeing one? as for being light it's less than 2lbs lighter than the macbook

I don't care about the footprint being smaller, I have no problem carrying something the size of a sheet of paper. Its the weight that has kept me from carrying my MacBook everywhere. It does get tiresome on your back all the time.
this makes no sense what so ever... do you have any idea how week something that thin is going to be? it's going to be just as difficult to cary as the footprint will be the same and the 2lbs difference isn't going to make much difference at all

I won't deny that it is quite expensive and a luxury but I have earned my money and I get a really cool new piece of kit that actually fits my needs.

so now we hear the truth, you want it because you think it's cool. Well you can spend your money on what's cool and I'll spend mine on what works and is good value

The things that do concern me are the lack of firewire. Now and again I have used my MacBook with a FW Audio Interface to do some recording of a mates band. I guess now I will have to use his MacBook. Not a travesty but I could do without that hastle. Plus I will probably need a USB hub when I use it for extended periods (holidays etc.).
Secondly I would have liked to see a smaller bezel. I have always loved that look in the PB/MBP. Also not sure about the massive bowl effect on the bottom. I do like the flat look of MacBook. I can't imagine not falling in love once I get my hands on it though.

Now the wait...

wow:rolleyes:

Andy-V
Jan 15, 2008, 06:52 PM
Why Not? I just surf and mail I am sure it will be fine!!!

But the price? For surf and mail?

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
But the price? For surf and mail?

agreed you can surf just fine on a macbook or just about any other computer on the market... many of which are a fraction of the price.

Badandy
Jan 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
agreed you can surf just fine on a macbook or just about any other computer on the market... many of which are a fraction of the price.

As usual, you are missing the point.

The MBA is SWEET. If all Apple people cared about was raw performance we'd be sitting at our desks in front of modded Alienware desktops with dongles hanging out with an HP laptop next to us with stickers on it.

donga
Jan 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
it seems like the MBA is an apple, well-designed, expensive Asus Eee. for me it'd seem like it'd make sense to get a macbook that has the drive in it already and is cheaper.

klimegreen
Jan 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
Congrats on the order. I ordered one too. If you travel much, the MacBook Air (http://personafile.com/Macbook-Air.html)is a big win. Even light weight laptops drive me nuts because they are not truly thin. My travel bag (soft briefcase) will thank me for the MBA. Cool. Oh yea, and yes the Apple Store servers got pretty darn busy (slow) minutes after the Air was announced.

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
Asus eee >>>> MBA

well to be more correct 6x eee > MBA

what does the eee have over the MBA?

replaceable swappable battery (you can even get a larger high cap batt)
SDHC CARD READER! expandable memory (you can get 32GB SDHC cards now)
3 USB ports instead of ONE
replaceable swappable memory
MINI PCIE slot, add whatever feature you want (incl 2 internal usb ports for bluetooth, usb flash, etc, etc)
price? $300 Vs $1800
the eee is lighter, 2lbs and smaller so you can fit it anywhere even in your glove compartment. its no bigger than your car's usermanual
comes with full featured os incl full office applications
VGA port, sure the mba has mini dvi but you have to carry an adapter everywhere you go, just something extra to carry around
asus has a better warranty, none of this 90 day free phone support crap, tech support is free all the time, just labor and parts is covered by their 2 year.. vs 1 from apple.
asus said officially you are allowed to open the eee and "tinker" around, if it fails they will fix it or replace it. you open your mba and your life is over.

killerrobot
Jan 15, 2008, 07:17 PM
Wow. For the same price you could have had: two 13" 2.2 macbooks or two 20" 2.0 imacs - one for home and one for work all with higher specs.

EDIT: Perhaps 3 of each if you bought refurbished.

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 07:19 PM
NEWSFLASH:

Small is expensive!!

In other news, water is wet.

Back to you, Steve.

new flash, small is not cheaper, its pretty much the same price when you spec out the HARWARE and numbers.

eee = $300-$500
12" laptops that are <3.5lbs = $700-900 (these 12" laptops still have deticated video ram up to 256
13.3" gaming laptops with 8600gs = $1200
14" gaming laptops 7600GT 512MB/8600GT 512MB video ram = $1300

rip off MBA with a garbage CPU and onboard graphics that only brainwashed mac fan boys will buy = $1800-$3000+???????

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 07:20 PM

with one usb port? you may need to change all your stuff to bluetooth? :rolleyes:

kwfl
Jan 15, 2008, 07:26 PM
nice, i really want one.

aethelbert
Jan 15, 2008, 07:28 PM
My company is ordering the SSD model for me next week. They replace my computer every six months and the 25th is the time. I'm giving up the power of the macbook pro, but frankly I don't need it. Since I work for an airline, the size/weight decreases will be wonderful.

pr5owner
Jan 15, 2008, 07:28 PM
As usual, you are missing the point.

The MBA is SWEET. If all Apple people cared about was raw performance we'd be sitting at our desks in front of modded Alienware desktops with dongles hanging out with an HP laptop next to us with stickers on it.

if apple gave a damn about its customers and not their share holders they would actaully make a half decent product for a RESPECTABLE PRICE.

hell they may even make their own hardware and not outsource it to some cheap garbage chinese company.

BTW alienware doesnt make its HW either, they get most of their laptops from Clevo, apple gets almost all their portable stuff from Hon Hai now (ipods and laptops)

comptr
Jan 15, 2008, 07:31 PM
Check this vaio out and tell me that prices are not cheap

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665181590

http://www.dynamism.com/g2/pricing.shtml

new flash, small is not cheaper, its pretty much the same price when you spec out the HARWARE and numbers.

eee = $300-$500
12" laptops that are <3.5lbs = $700-900 (these 12" laptops still have deticated video ram up to 256

rip off MBA with a garbage CPU and onboard graphics that only brainwashed mac fan boys will buy = $1800-$3000+???????

iW00t
Jan 15, 2008, 08:25 PM
I am surprised you actually bought Applecare for it. Personally I will just play with it for like 6-8 months, and then put it on ebay using my 100% 100,000 feedback account selling it for top dollar.

Warranty extensions are for people who don't upgrade every cycle, something that I am sure you have no trouble doing since you should even be an authorised AppleCentre by now :)

bocomo
Jan 15, 2008, 08:26 PM
as one who frequently lugs a laptop around airports, to conferences and on campus i can appreciate such a small, lightweight computer.

the only problem is that there is nothing upgradable about it. for that price i don't want to feel locked in. i do presentations/demos on photoshop, etc. and need just a bit more horsepower. not looking for a workhorse or gaming machine, just something more solid.

believe me, the lighter weight and smaller footprint (however small you feel those are) DO matter to SOME people. it's a fact. not everyone values the same things in a device.

i love the idea of not having an optical drive and the possibility of no spinning hard drive but i will wait for version 2 or a significant price decrease.

no big deal

Grimace
Jan 15, 2008, 08:30 PM

I thought that was specifically against MR policy. :cool:

McEngineer
Jan 15, 2008, 09:01 PM

MacBook Air
...etc...

I think the market for the MBA is the right market to pick right now. People with discretionary income, looking for a second (or third or...) machine that is really light and portable and - can't ignore this - really purty compared to the workstation or other machine that serves as their "main" machine. Main in this case could mean wired, or more expandable, or with some gigantic monitor, or whatever.

In any case, given the tanking economy, you'd want your new products to be aimed at wealthier people who are less affected. In general, such people will probably be a tad older than the average MacRumors reader and that means the MBA has another appealing feature: it's ultra-light but not ultra-small. I've read all the complaints about how "portable" demands "small" but (and I hate to say it) I'm reaching an age where a screen smaller than 13.3" is a real pain in the eyes.

For myself, I just got an MBPro fairly recently. I think my wife might enjoy the MBA, though.

Congrats on your purchase - do post a review when it arrives.

eddietr
Jan 15, 2008, 09:21 PM
Congrats on the purchase.

I've been reading and thinking all evening, and I'm pretty close to deciding on the SSD model.

I'm tired of carrying my 17" MBP around. And my work patterns have changed such that I do most of my really heavy work in the office now anyway on the MP. So having the 17" screen is really just overkill on my "other" Mac. I've wanted something smaller for some time now. Especially since I travel at least one week a month.

And yes, I know it's about a grand too expensive or whatever. But I'm not going to wait a year to save a grand. And other choices like the Fujitsu are not as powerful or they don't have the battery life. And I just don't have time to fuss with getting all the right linux drivers, etc. None of that is worth a few hundred bucks savings to me. If I could find a good choice with linux pre-installed and supported with all the hardware, I might consider that. But I haven't found that computer yet.

And realistically if I get a windows subnotebook, I'll just end up lugging the 17" MBP around anyway and the windows subnotebook will sit in my drawer. I've done that before and that's when a computer is really expensive, when you don't use it.

So I'm pretty confident this is something I'll use. A few extra billable hours on flights here and there adds up quick. So you have to factor that into the economics as well.

queshy
Jan 15, 2008, 09:42 PM
Congratulations on the MBA! Enjoy the waiting game, hehe.

I hope this "rev A" product isn't susceptible to all of the rev A woes we've seen in the past...I'm looking forward for some reviews on this thing.

meagain
Jan 15, 2008, 10:16 PM

eee = $300-$500

Pretty soon people will be comparing Air to Alienware desktops. Shortly we'll have threads about how it'll suck for gaming.
These posts are laughable at this point.

I'll probably be buying one. I want to know how hot it might be. I don't use laptops on a desk.

AJ Muni
Jan 15, 2008, 10:22 PM
.... you open your mba and your life is over.

lol love that quote..which is sadly true

ozziegn
Jan 15, 2008, 10:38 PM
Can you say EARNED?

There are some pretty envious people here.

lol - I was thinking the same thing. although the word "jealousy" also comes to mind.

I always say, if you got it then spend it!

ddarko
Jan 15, 2008, 10:49 PM

eee = $300-$500

Is this a sly parody of the way some Windows users used to or still criticize Macs by saying, "well, you can get everything and more that you can get on the Mac but cheaper on a Wintel machine"? And just as that criticism misses the point, so too does this comparison.

crazydrumma
Jan 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
I still think it's over priced, and I don't like the black keyboard...

However, I have to admit, it would be nice to have enough cash to get one... but it's not because I hate myself for buying a macbook last month. The MBA isn't meant to replace power.

So, apple once again causes me to go into shock by introducing another product that pushes the limits of what we know. No optical drive kind of scares me, but hey, remote disc may become standard on laptops. We'll have to see... And the multi-touch trackpad IS the coolest thing I have seen on a laptop. EVER.

RR08EvoX
Jan 16, 2008, 12:20 AM
Ordered one too. Slightly baffled by the naysayers in here. I'll happily trade in my bulky 15" MacBook Pro for one. I've been wanting a 13" MacBook Pro for some time... this is even better than I could have hoped for. The last time I used my optical drive was when I installed Leopard... the day it came out.

i wish there were more people like this ^^

apple didnt make a product for everyone and this isn't supposed to sell as much as the macbook or macbook pro. i think apple is expecting 9-1 in terms of macbook sales v. the macbook air... that seems fine to me for a niche product

Mastamarek
Jan 16, 2008, 12:27 AM
omfg, I tried not to post anything but I cant help myself. How stupid are people nowadays!?? I can not stand this bitching about the new air and someone comparing it to 13.3' gaming laptops!!!??? I mean, is it really that hard to understand the potential clients of air?? How can u even type such bs and not think about it??? whats next, comparing air to desktops and saying they are cheaper and deliver more power!?? I just can not believe that so many people are a retarded. Portability costs. Yes, smaller can be more expensive!! This is not meant for 12 year old windows gamers who play CS 24/7!! Its meant for business clients mostly!! How about comparing it to some real competition, like Sony TX or Toshiba. Now, they charge their systems wayyyy over $2000 and include only low voltage CPU and are still 2x as thick.

island
Jan 16, 2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks to those who see this laptop as an add-on to Apple's line and not a bastard child. I, for one, welcome this laptop in and will personally get one myself in the next few weeks.

For those who are complaining and whining and making fun of people who can afford them and those who do want them should just buy a Vaio and enjoy life with more options and less innovation.

:apple:

2fives
Jan 16, 2008, 01:00 AM
Man-0-man $3000 for the solid state model. Props out to those that can afford it, but there comes a time to say more money than brains. :eek::eek:

Mastamarek
Jan 16, 2008, 01:06 AM
but there comes a time to say more money than brains. :eek::eek:

yeah, so true. Sony for example charges $3700 for their laptops with SSD drives. But yeah $3000 is way to expansive comparing to this.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665293952

HLdan
Jan 16, 2008, 01:30 AM
Congrats to the OP. Noting is ever a waste of money to someone that sees the value. To hell with others that are so rude to tell you that you wasted your money, they have no just call, they are just jealous.

Shaduu
Jan 16, 2008, 01:45 AM
To all those without the ability to see the Air's use, I think a little Thread 500 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500) is in order.

carsncars
Jan 16, 2008, 01:47 AM
This student disagrees.

This student agrees with this disagreement.

I mean... there's no perceptible difference for me between heavy and heavy. :D

The point is... People who want or need the thinness and lightness of the Air will buy it. People who want the looks of the air will buy it.

Other people will buy the Macbook, or Macbook Pro.

Apple's got enough resources (research, analysts, accountants) -- they would not pour money into the R&D of the Air if they didn't think there was a market for it. On paper, yes, the Air offers far fewer features, but it's form factor is its main feature and is a feature which one cannot put a "flat" value on.

It has its flaws -- I agree, a few more millimeters for swappable batteries would have been nice, as would one more USB slot, a slightly smaller footprint (reduce that bezel!), and I just don't trust the 1.8" hard drive. However, for a first revision, I have to say Apple have done an admirable job.

Most of the whiners (myself included) are just annoyed they didn't get the updated Macbook or Macbook Pro they were waiting for.

The Air is not Apple's tablet computer. It is not a replacement for the Macbook (too expensive). It is not a member of the Macbook Pro family (performance lacks). It is not the successor to the 12" Powerbook G4 (the G4 was much more powerful for the time, and had a heftier pricetag). It is not a competitor to Asus' Eee PC.

maestrokev
Jan 16, 2008, 01:52 AM
To all those without the ability to see the Air's use, I think a little Thread 500 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500) is in order.

Good post! How does that quote go: Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

coelicolor
Jan 16, 2008, 01:59 AM
the mac book air, there are something i like and there are something i dislike.

i still can't make a decision buy it .

omg

aiongiant
Jan 16, 2008, 03:04 AM
i myself think air is an awesome product! especially for ppl that want something light and thin.. yes i also agree that it is pricy for what it is
and the sacrifices apple made to get to this size are insane and sucks

HOWEVER for those ppl comparing apple to a pc
remember where you are! and who your buying it from
this is APPLE!

i dont' recall apple being known to be "cheaper" than a pc laptop or desktop
you always pay more for apple products i dunno why everyone is complaining and comparing them to a pc now...

and also there IS a reason why apple did not get rid of the macbook line and the macbook pro line...
macbook for the more affordable product
macbook air for ppl that want something thin and portable
macbook pro for ppl that want something powerful enough to be a desktop replacement

lots to choose from! if you think the air is not for YOU then go for the pro or the normal macbooks.. theres different models depending what your intentions are... lots to choose from! apple can't make a super laptop that will fit everyone;s needs.. well they can but they will go bankrupt pretty fast

i however, i'm tired of carrying my macbook pro around.. i want something portable and thin.. and since i have a mac pro at home.. i dont' need anything super powered...

i ordered a Macbook Air
set to ship start of Feb for me

neiltc13
Jan 16, 2008, 05:00 AM
The MacBook air is NOT more portable than the MacBook in my opinion though. If you look at the 10 or 11 inch notebooks which Sony sells, they might be slightly thicker but their overall footprint is much smaller meaning that they will fit in places where a MacBook won't.

The MacBook Air is the same width and depth (roughly) as a MacBook. The only difference is thickness. This is not what I would describe as an ultraportable because it still requires the same size of bag in order to carry it. I've never had problems with depth in my bag.

MacBook Air at its thickest point is 1.94cm while MacBook is 2.75cm. That's a difference of 0.81cm. Find me a textbook which is 0.81cm thick or anything which I can benefit from carrying in that extra 0.81cm of space that justifies paying hundreds of dollars more for it.

ob81
Jan 16, 2008, 05:33 AM
After the keynote, I went out and purchased a Macbook. My common sense is telling me that the MBA is not worth the money, but for some reason, I am strongly considering taking the Macbook back and ordering the MBA. :o

I just don't get it. Sigh.

Andy-V
Jan 16, 2008, 05:55 AM
Most of the whiners (myself included) are just annoyed they didn't get the updated Macbook or Macbook Pro they were waiting for.

I think that sums it up nicely. Everyone was getting excited for a new MacBook and what came along is sadly unsuitable for the masses which is why people are annoyed.

I spoke to a few people about it today, nobody was impressed. Which is unusual for a new apple product these days.

jnc
Jan 16, 2008, 06:06 AM
After the keynote, I went out and purchased a Macbook. My common sense is telling me that the MBA is not worth the money, but for some reason, I am strongly considering taking the Macbook back and ordering the MBA. :o

I just don't get it. Sigh.

Don't do it man... that damn RDF is getting to you.. .don't let it!

Cybergypsy
Jan 16, 2008, 06:10 AM
The MacBook air is NOT more portable than the MacBook in my opinion though. If you look at the 10 or 11 inch notebooks which Sony sells, they might be slightly thicker but their overall footprint is much smaller meaning that they will fit in places where a MacBook won't.

The MacBook Air is the same width and depth (roughly) as a MacBook. The only difference is thickness. This is not what I would describe as an ultraportable because it still requires the same size of bag in order to carry it. I've never had problems with depth in my bag.

MacBook Air at its thickest point is 1.94cm while MacBook is 2.75cm. That's a difference of 0.81cm. Find me a textbook which is 0.81cm thick or anything which I can benefit from carrying in that extra 0.81cm of space that justifies paying hundreds of dollars more for it.
and its much nicer to look at then the current macbook, just like the imac G4

soup4you2
Jan 16, 2008, 06:21 AM
MBA has a lot of turnoffs. sure it's a nice thin notebook.

but lets look at a couple of the pitfalls of it.

You cannot upgrade the memory. 2GB is soldered onto the motherboard.

80GB 4200RPM hard drive. 4200 is balls slow. sure it was good for ipods, but not desirable for a laptop. Plus 80GB is not that much space anymore. but for $1400 more you can get the SSD hard drive.

Sure the product may look attractive, but honestly you could buy a standard macbook cheaper than these things and get much more utility and performance out of your purchase. I personally fully expect to see this product become another apple bluper.

jnc
Jan 16, 2008, 06:29 AM

How many times - it's about the weight! Couldn't care less about how thin it was, myself. I'd gladly take a MBP if they made them in three pound flavours.

SO many people are just paying attention to Apple saying "oooh... shiny! thin! Go buy!" whereas the selling point for me would be the fact it weighs damn near half of what a MacBook does, with similar performance (well, the 1.8 with SSD). Rarely do I need firewire, discs and two USBs when on the go, so I'd certainly take a MBA in those situations.

The only thing stopping me picking one of these up is I don't have an infinite bank account like the target audience likely does..

fishkorp
Jan 16, 2008, 06:30 AM
Ordered an Air yesterday for the wife (birthday gift). She travels around the world for work many times a year. This is perfect for her. She usually takes my 17" MBP with her and it's such a pain for her due to size and weight. She's not a fan of the appearance of a regular MacBook, which is why I never got her one. She said this would be absolutely perfect for her though. So we have one one the way :)

sushi
Jan 16, 2008, 08:11 AM
I travel quite a bit for my job and the MBA looks like it would be a good fit.

I want to see one in person first, but strongly looking at getting one.

Zwhaler
Jan 16, 2008, 09:06 AM
I am shocked. After charging you more for a lesser machine, Apple then has the cheek to ask you for $19 extra for an optional Apple Remote.

What a joke.

I don't think Apple should charge for one either, but since lots of buyers probably already have one that came with their Mac, they might not need one. But still, for such an expensive machine, I don't see why it doesn't come with one.

clayj
Jan 16, 2008, 09:11 AM
Ordered a fully loaded Air yesterday... 64 GB SSD + external SuperDrive.

Now I just need to sell my MBP... don't need two laptops.

neiltc13
Jan 16, 2008, 09:24 AM

Hope you enjoy the slower performance.

jnc
Jan 16, 2008, 09:36 AM

With 2GB Ram and a 64GB SSD, I doubt he'll notice.

Adrian3300
Jan 16, 2008, 09:37 AM
It has already been talked about a million times in these forums but I'll say it again. This is not meant to me a replacement for your desktop or macbook pro.Typically if you are on the go you don't need the power of a macbook pro or an optical drive. This is meant for people who need something that is "ultra portable". I will admit it is pricey, but all new electronics are, especially when they first come out.

eddietr
Jan 16, 2008, 09:43 AM

Well that was nice of you. Hope you have a great day, too.

This is sort of like someone with a 160GB iPod classic saying to an iPod Touch owner, "Hope you enjoy having to cram all your stuff in that 16GB drive there."

The MBA, MB, and MBP are different products designed to different feature sets. Which one is right for each user will depend on each person's work patterns and preferences. And let's be honest, we're all paying a premium compared to PCs. So price/performance is all relative isn't it?

I think all 3 are great computers in their own way. And just easier to deal with in my experience than installing and maintaining linux on portable hardware.

Why all the hostility?

blackslayer
Jan 16, 2008, 09:53 AM
Read this up for ppl who still can't decide whether to buy macbook air or nt.
I total agree with what he said hence share with you.

================================================

The real point of MacBook Air - and why everyone is missing it.

It seems to me that everyone is missing the real point of the MacBook Air.

This computer was not released to be a great laptop. It wasn't released to sell in large volumes and it wasn't released to give you everything you currently get in a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Air was released to remind the world that Apple is way ahead of the rest of the industry. It is to plant in the minds of the consumer today the seed that will sprout into a visit to an Apple shop for a new laptop in 2010.

Apple have always been deeply involved in the development and progress of portable computing and they want to stay at the cutting edge.

In 1989 they broke new ground with the Macintosh Portable, setting the basic design for modern laptops. In 1991, (to quote Wikipedia), "The Apple PowerBook series, introduced in October 1991, pioneered changes that are now de facto standards on laptops." In 2001 we got the Titanium Powerbook - that machine set the basic standard in design (both stylistic and technical) for laptops for the next 7 years (and still counting).

Now, once again, there are technologies coming together that make a radical redesign possible. And so Apple have given it to us. The MacBook Air. Think of the MacBook Air as the pioneering generation of the next 10 years of Apple laptops. Like the Titanium Powerbook it has set a basic size and shape that breaks new boundaries and it has brought together a grouping of technologies that will become standard over the 10 year life of this design.

* Multi Touch not very useful? Wait until the software makers have had 3 or 4 years to explore it's potential.
* Fixed battery with poor life? The battery industry is promising new generation batteries by around 2010 with double the current life and 5 minute recharging times (do a Google search - look for Hitachi especially).
* No optical drive? Think how far iTunes has come with music in the last 3 years. How far do you think it will go with movies in the next 3? And my local computer store is selling 8GB USB keys for A$49 (US$39) at the moment. In 3 years you don't think 64GB keys will be the same price? Who wants a DVD burner then?
* No inbuilt Ethernet & only 1 USB? 3 years ago I was the only person with a wireless network in my street. Right now my computer is detecting 18 home networks and my middle aged non-technical neighbour proudly showed me her new wireless printer two weeks ago. Wireless really is the future. Even hotels will catch up.
* Scared by the price of the SSD? 3 years ago a 64GB SSD would have put a premium on the machine of over $10 000. Today it's down to a few hundred dollars. By 2010 it will be the standard.

So sure, the MacBook Air of early 2008 has limitations, is missing heaps of stuff we all think is essential and probably won't sell that many. But when you go to buy your next laptop, and the one after that, it will likely be an upgraded version of what we have seen released today.

And ever newspaper reader and TV news watcher of today's unveiling will remember for the next 10 years that Apple were the first to do this modern new design that everyone else is now copying, and honey, shouldn't we see what they have in their store before we look at a PC laptop?:D:o

island
Jan 16, 2008, 09:57 AM
Why all the hostility?

He's probably kicking himself over getting stuck with a chunky Macbook.

ghking
Jan 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
Well that was nice of you. Hope you have a great day, too.

This is sort of like someone with a 160GB iPod classic saying to an iPod Touch owner, "Hope you enjoy having to cram all your stuff in that 16GB drive there."

The MBA, MB, and MBP are different products designed to different feature sets. Which one is right for each user will depend on each person's work patterns and preferences. And let's be honest, we're all paying a premium compared to PCs. So price/performance is all relative isn't it?

I think all 3 are great computers in their own way. And just easier to deal with in my experience than installing and maintaining linux on portable hardware.

Why all the hostility?

amen

mashoutposse
Jan 16, 2008, 10:33 AM
About the "bad" battery life: Remember that Apple is quoting 5 hours with WiFi in use. They call it 5 hours of "wireless productivity."

butterfly0fdoom
Jan 16, 2008, 10:48 AM

What a joke.

Seeing that there were people asking why Apple included the Apple remote with the MBP when it came out (since I guess mobile professionals found the inclusion of the remote trivial for travel), I think it's fine that it doesn't have the remote. You get micro-DVI adapters instead.

steve31
Jan 16, 2008, 11:38 AM
I bought the MBA with the SSD HD because I already have a MBP 2.4 and I was using a MB 2.2 as a portable. I love the power and speed I got with my MB and think that the power of the MBA 1.8 GHZ / SSD HD will compare to the MB. So I sold my MB to fund it. I do agree that it is a VERY pricey notebook but when you compare it to the sony line....it's "in the ballpark". I did suffer from "sticker shock" when I saw the price.But I wanted something very close to the power of the MB I had only lighter.I dont keep notebooks for more than 3 years so by buying the apple care I should be all set.

nbs2
Jan 16, 2008, 11:39 AM

I have no desire to boast, and made sure not to discuss anything about his expenditures. My point was that there are plenty of people, who are prolific in their production, who will have a very specific use for this machine. I would have discussed my use for the machine, but I don't have it. For me, the benefits of the machine do not outweigh the limitations. For me.

The reason the community attracts an attitude of "elitism" when people try "to score points" is that there are enough people here foolish enough to dismiss a product as having no market, when it clearly has one. I could create a fictional person to ascribe this need to, but that clearly wouldn't hold the weight of a real person. My friend does not make me superior to any person on these boards. But, my friend's needs make my assertion that there is a market for the product superior to the assertion that there is no market.

CLAY!!!!!! Great to see you. It's been too long since I've seen you around here. There's so much drama that you've missed (although, you seem to have picked a great thread to jump back in on :D).

aiongiant
Jan 16, 2008, 11:49 AM
apple makes money from having multiple product lines

if you want something with a remote for tv or entertainment system..
theres always the apple tv or the mac minis they come with remotes..

i do disagree about how the macbook is just as portable as the macbook air
yes same footprint roughly however cutting the weight down to almost 50%
and thickness also.. it does make that much of a difference! unless you drive everywhere and stuff then sure a 17" MBP isn't too heavy either but for ppl that walk, bus,bike,travel that extra 2 pounds and thickness is a major burden

gkarris
Jan 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
My company is ordering the SSD model for me next week. They replace my computer every six months and the 25th is the time. I'm giving up the power of the macbook pro, but frankly I don't need it. Since I work for an airline, the size/weight decreases will be wonderful.

You must be pretty important. My company gives me a cheap Dell every 3 years... :(

joegomolski
Jan 16, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'm at MWSF. I saw, and picked up, photoed it, played with the MBA shortly after the Keynote. And talked for quite a while with the cutest Apple employee I have ever been a foot from. The MBA is gorgeous, so light, I covet it, I want it!

And to my surprise, there have been many complains voiced on this forum, as well in many other places, regrading Apple's latest betrayal of Apple's loyal customers.

BS.

Check out the speculation about an ultralight before the Keynote regrading our expectations of what features an ultralight would have.

1) it would have a slower processor, most on this forum acknowledged, the "Ultra Portable" would have a slower processor, remembering the heat issue, remember also the comments that the processor did not need to be the most powerful for the expected uses?

2) A soldered battery, yes can you say iPod, iPhone? You want it thin and light weight, you want good battery life, it has to be soldered. Five hours with WiFi full time!

3) Small hard disk, didn't see many posts on MacRumors indicating anyone one thought the MBA would come with a hard disk capable of storing all of your videos, movies, and digital photos. The word on MacRumors was the MacBook Air would have to be of small capacity if the MBA was to be light weight.

4) I think we would have liked to see 4GB's of RAM, but that then brings up the cost factor. And it's not too hard to imagine that this ram is not standard laptop simm. No upgrade option, does the iPod or iPhone have that option? If you want it small and light it has to be soldered. For me 2GBs will be adequate.

5) Video graphics? Did anyone expect to see a high end, lots of ram, 256mb, on a laptop much smaller than the MB? Before MWSF we agreed, in the main, that this ultralight would have a video card built in, not a seperate video card like the MBP.

6) Many people on this tread are complaining about the cost of the MBA. Before MWSF, we pegged the cost to be in the low teens, up to $2,000. So where's the surprise? The base model sells for $1,799.

7) There was no anticipation before the Keynote, that the MBA would be comparable to the utility of a a Mac Pro, or a MBP. The MBA would be a compliment, an addition to whichever Mac you already had. An addition not a replacement. Remember? Although I can definitely see some, like students, the computer aversive, business travelers, and so on, choosing the MBA for their first Mac, or for now, only Mac. Game players need not apply.

As to my impressions of the MBA, having bought my first computer a Vector Graphic in 1979. Is.
IT'S WONDERFUL! IT'S BEAUTIFUL. IT'S ONLY 3 POUNDS!

Complaining is an American Right. So for those who aren't happy, I acknowledge you're right to whine. No matter what had been released yesterday, we would have the same people complaining that, "How could Apple betray us again"!!!!!!

No product on the market today, or in the future will be without it's GreeK Chorus.

Besides don't the nay savers grab the spotlight with their incisive criticism?

And let's not forget the envy factor. I can't afford it because I don't have the money, so I'll diss it.

I ordered one yesterday the full boat, solid state drive included.

I have no intention of denigrating anyone how this agrees with me. I have my opinion, you have yours.

However, I have to admit that I'm right, you know like most of the time anyway.

copyright, Joe Gomolski, 01/16/08

desenso
Jan 16, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm at MWSF. I saw, and picked up, photoed it, played with the MBA shortly after the Keynote. And talked for quite a while with the cutest Apple employee I have ever been a foot from. The MBA is gorgeous, so light, I covet it, I want it!

Hey, look! Someone who has actually used it!

Mastamarek
Jan 16, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hey, look! Someone who has actually used it!
He is probably lying. Listen to all 12 year old windows gamers who play CS 24/7, they know what they are talking about!!! Yeahhhh, what about that!!! Air has no subwoofer!!! no GF888GTX and OMG, there is no FireWIre!!! I can not edit my hollywood production movie on a plane!!! I mean, WFT was apple thinkining!!!

heatmiser
Jan 16, 2008, 12:37 PM
Macbook Air Ordered

I don't see why you kept comparing it to an iPhone or an iPod while defending its lack of features. Are we supposed to think of the MBA as a glorified iPhone?

desenso
Jan 16, 2008, 12:43 PM
He is probably lying. Listen to all 12 year old windows gamers who play CS 24/7, they know what they are talking about!!! Yeahhhh, what about that!!! Air has no subwoofer!!! no GF888GTX and OMG, there is no FireWIre!!! I can not edit my hollywood production movie on a plane!!! I mean, WFT was apple thinkining!!!

Nice one... especially the subwoofer line.

bidwalj
Jan 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
Do you feel the base model can work as an everyday computer? I have a macbook pro now, however only due to its brighter screen. I mainly have a laptop so i can move around with it in my apartment and when i am on the go. the thinness is appealing as majority of the time my laptop is actually on my lap and having a thiner model will allow for better comfort. Forget the cost, i can afford it. I can deal with the lack of the disk drive, i will buy the external for the times i need to burn a cd. MY only concern is that it will be slow. By slow i mean long boot times, think windows, and long waits for apps to open.

And to my surprise, there have been many complains voiced on this forum, as well in many other places, regrading Apple's latest betrayal of Apple's loyal customers.

BS.

Check out the speculation about an ultralight before the Keynote regrading our expectations of what features an ultralight would have.

1) it would have a slower processor, most on this forum acknowledged, the "Ultra Portable" would have a slower processor, remembering the heat issue, remember also the comments that the processor did not need to be the most powerful for the expected uses?

2) A soldered battery, yes can you say iPod, iPhone? You want it thin and light weight, you want good battery life, it has to be soldered. Five hours with WiFi full time!

3) Small hard disk, didn't see many posts on MacRumors indicating anyone one thought the MBA would come with a hard disk capable of storing all of your videos, movies, and digital photos. The word on MacRumors was the MacBook Air would have to be of small capacity if the MBA was to be light weight.

4) I think we would have liked to see 4GB's of RAM, but that then brings up the cost factor. And it's not too hard to imagine that this ram is not standard laptop simm. No upgrade option, does the iPod or iPhone have that option? If you want it small and light it has to be soldered. For me 2GBs will be adequate.

5) Video graphics? Did anyone expect to see a high end, lots of ram, 256mb, on a laptop much smaller than the MB? Before MWSF we agreed, in the main, that this ultralight would have a video card built in, not a seperate video card like the MBP.

6) Many people on this tread are complaining about the cost of the MBA. Before MWSF, we pegged the cost to be in the low teens, up to $2,000. So where's the surprise? The base model sells for $1,799.

7) There was no anticipation before the Keynote, that the MBA would be comparable to the utility of a a Mac Pro, or a MBP. The MBA would be a compliment, an addition to whichever Mac you already had. An addition not a replacement. Remember? Although I can definitely see some, like students, the computer aversive, business travelers, and so on, choosing the MBA for their first Mac, or for now, only Mac. Game players need not apply.

As to my impressions of the MBA, having bought my first computer a Vector Graphic in 1979. Is.
IT'S WONDERFUL! IT'S BEAUTIFUL. IT'S ONLY 3 POUNDS!

Complaining is an American Right. So for those who aren't happy, I acknowledge you're right to whine. No matter what had been released yesterday, we would have the same people complaining that, "How could Apple betray us again"!!!!!!

No product on the market today, or in the future will be without it's GreeK Chorus.

Besides don't the nay savers grab the spotlight with their incisive criticism?

And let's not forget the envy factor. I can't afford it because I don't have the money, so I'll diss it.

I ordered one yesterday the full boat, solid state drive included.

I have no intention of denigrating anyone how this agrees with me. I have my opinion, you have yours.

However, I have to admit that I'm right, you know like most of the time anyway.

copyright, Joe Gomolski, 01/16/08

jnc
Jan 16, 2008, 01:16 PM
Do you feel the base model can work as an everyday computer? I have a macbook pro now, however only due to its brighter screen. I mainly have a laptop so i can move around with it in my apartment and when i am on the go. the thinness is appealing as majority of the time my laptop is actually on my lap and having a thiner model will allow for better comfort. Forget the cost, i can afford it. I can deal with the lack of the disk drive, i will buy the external for the times i need to burn a cd. MY only concern is that it will be slow. By slow i mean long boot times, think windows, and long waits for apps to open.

Well... what's your "everyday use?" If you're getting the 1.8 model, you'll have the 64GB SSD - that coupled with the 2GB ram and we are in the MacBook ballpark of performance. Seriously, if money was no option, I'd be getting one of these to complement my Mac Pro.

mcvaughan
Jan 16, 2008, 01:27 PM
Boy, some people can really get hot and bothered! ;)

I am a sucker for new technology so I bought one. It will be a fantastic machine for what it is. No product is the end-all-be-all, hence the choices Apple gives us. Time will tell if it will replace my MBP, but I'm at least keeping an open mind about it.

Cheers!

desenso
Jan 16, 2008, 01:28 PM

No one, even those who played with one briefly, will be able to answer this with any certainty. It's clear, however, that you will lose some performance, given the slower processor speed and perhaps more significantly, the slower internal hard drive.

I'm sure that for casual surfing / general use it will still be a fine computer. It is a Core 2 Duo after all and the 2gb of ram should be plenty for casual use.

Caris
Jan 16, 2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah it will cope with everyday tasks fine. Don't worry.

CKtoph
Jan 16, 2008, 01:46 PM
I think for those of you who think that the MacBook air is a mistake by apple lacks a sense of a huge part of apple's market: college students and the traveling business person.

I am currently a graduate student attending a major metropolitan university, and I see so many college students who do nothing with their $2000+ MBP other than simple word processing and powerpoints. Also having worked in consulting for a few years before returning to school, what applications did I use for the most part? Excel, Word, Firefox, Powerpoint. I wouldve loved to do any of these things on a new MBAir and would have gladly paid for it.

Have so many of you forgotten the pricedrop applied to the iPhones? At the moment it is a novelty to be able to pay that price. Obviously, a price drop will be applied soon enough but nothing as absurd as expecting the ever-coveted ultra portable to be any less than $1400-1500.

Cmon people be reasonable...

jnc
Jan 16, 2008, 02:07 PM
No one, even those who played with one briefly, will be able to answer this with any certainty. It's clear, however, that you will lose some performance, given the slower processor speed and perhaps more significantly, the slower internal hard drive.

Is ANYONE buying the 1.6 version? :D I think a 1.8 with 64gb ssd will easily rival a MacBook...

shadie
Jan 16, 2008, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=blackslayer;4769579]Read this up for ppl who still can't decide whether to buy macbook air or nt.
I total agree with what he said hence share with you.

I'd like to add that this post says it all, welcome to the future!!

Reminds me of when Apple released the first clamshell, everyone was complaining "what no ADB, no floppy drive?" at that time I forked out around US$4000 for a Pismo.... Which still works!!!

I'm waiting for the first reviews of the MBA, if the speaker quality is acceptable then I'm buying the SSD verision.

About the gripes from everyone,

Speed of CPU - Fine with me, in fact I regularly use a Thinkpad S31 (PIII 500Mhz 256M) which is speedy enough for me.

Speed of HD - I'll go for SSD, anyway 4200RPM is not that slow.

No Firewire - don't use it much, I've got an old 12" Powebook if needed.

No Ethernet - Might buy the USB adaptor, not really needed

Only 2G RAM - Enough for me

I already have multiple laptops that I use daily, using a NAS for storage, the MBA will be a nice addition.

Guess I'm moving back to OSX again.

I remember un-boxing my TI Book it was a thing of beauty compared to any other notebook, I think Apple has a beautiful form factor with the MBA.

Here is a link of SSD versus HD from samsung http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/products/flash/Products_FlashSSD.html

AustrianMacUser
Jan 20, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi there!

Just stepped over your community and specially, over this thread.

I'm not really new in "Mac Business" and I'm proud of my 2 Macs, an iMac Intel 2,8 GhZ and an older PowerBook G4, 1,5 GhZ.

As I watched the last Keynote, I was astonished when I saw the new MacBook Air.

I'm thinking about buying this nice peace of Mac innovation, because I'm using my PB4 only for Internet surfing and writing stuff (I'm a student, btw.), since I've my (for me) very powerful iMac.

So, some would ask me, why the hell I'd like to buy this new kind of Mac, because I already have a fine notebook:
I need more power - which my PB4 can't give any more.
I've had a lot of troubles with my beloved PB4 - some reasons still unknown.

I'd be thankful, if those who bought this nice peace of Art, could give a short report about their experiences with it. :)

Congratulations to those who bought it - I think for business people it's a great deal.

Greetings from Europa

Alex

ps: Please kindly oversee my writing mistakes - I did my best. :D

ahaxton
Jan 20, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi there!

Just stepped over your community and specially, over this thread.

I'm not really new in "Mac Business" and I'm proud of my 2 Macs, an iMac Intel 2,8 GhZ and an older PowerBook G4, 1,5 GhZ.

As I watched the last Keynote, I was astonished when I saw the new MacBook Air.

I'm thinking about buying this nice peace of Mac innovation, because I'm using my PB4 only for Internet surfing and writing stuff (I'm a student, btw.), since I've my (for me) very powerful iMac.

So, some would ask me, why the hell I'd like to buy this new kind of Mac, because I already have a fine notebook:
I need more power - which my PB4 can't give any more.
I've had a lot of troubles with my beloved PB4 - some reasons still unknown.

I'd be thankful, if those who bought this nice peace of Art, could give a short report about their experiences with it. :)

Congratulations to those who bought it - I think for business people it's a great deal.

Greetings from Europa

Alex

ps: Please kindly oversee my writing mistakes - I did my best. :D

We will be giving our thoughts hands on soon!

A lot of us have ordered MacBook Air's and we might even get them late this week, early next week, who knows.

AustrianMacUser
Jan 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
Great! We here in Austria won't get it that fast, I think... *smile*

jhande
Jan 20, 2008, 02:01 PM
This laptop is for people who need ultra-thin and super battery life at the cost of some other trade off.

About the "bad" battery life: Remember that Apple is quoting 5 hours with WiFi in use. They call it 5 hours of "wireless productivity."

While I love the design and all, and in the main agree with their compromises, the points above simply don't hold water:

When I saw the keynote I went ooooooooh, shiny...... along with everyone else. As the demo progressed (and especially when we saw the backlit keyboard), I began to worry about power.

5 hours isn't great. It's barely acceptable (given that the quoted usage for MB and MBP are higher). 10 hours would have been great. Hell, cram it with battery goodness, and make it a bit fatter, whatever it takes.

Air implies not only lightness, but freedom. The MBA is wonderfully light, but don't worry, it won't waft away on a light breeze. It's tethered to the grid like all the other machines.

MartinelliMinim
Feb 10, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm a multiple computer person too, but 4 state of the art laptops, that's intense. I could see a need for say a mac pro, one MBP, and than the air.

That's totaly right. I already have an 8 Core Mac Pro, and 15" Macbook Pro, and a Macbook. I'm returning the macbook and exchanging it for the Macbook Air. They say it is the Macbook for professionals. I travel way too much and am finding that i need for this product!