PDA

View Full Version : So apart from being thin...

fluidedge
Jan 15, 2008, 04:30 PM
what else does the MBAir have to offer?

Underpowered, overpriced.

But it is thin.

How many people have been complaining that their MB/MBP was too thick - "man, this 1" MB is way too heavy for me, i wish i had something thinner/lighter" - i've not seen that mentioned once on these forums.

Apple obviously don't go into new products on a whim, they would have done research and asked the question - "who thinks the MB is too thick/heavy" - how many people would seriously have put their hand up??

This is a strange product to me. I can see this being popular with people constantly moving around - students - shame it doesn't have a student price tag.

The MB Air just strikes me as being made for the sake of it. Apple said, we're gonna build the thinnest notebook in the world, not becuase there is a need for it, but because we can.

Waste of time/resources. This was a project in seeing how far they could push something.

Remind you of anything? - the Newton, the Cube. You can add the MacBook Air to the list of Apple flops as far as i am concerned.

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:33 PM
I agree completely the macbook air has only one advantage over the macbook.... it is thinner. To me this is hardly enough of an advantage to outweigh all the disadvantages that come with owning it over a macbook.

danb77
I know many people who love OS X but were forced into Windows evilness via the need for something more portable than a MacBook. This is for them. I expect it will do pretty well.

heatmiser
It's got that retro appeal. Like if you wanted to see what processors were like two years ago, while having the newest thing to come out of Macworld. :D Seriously speaking, though, the only real advantage is the portability. If you can bear the extra ounces, a Macbook is a much better deal.

CJRhoades
Jan 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
Do you even understand why apple released this product. It is a secondary notebook for people who already own another computer. Yes, it would be stupid to buy it if it would be your only computer. Some people just want a super light weight, super portable notebook that they can take everywhere with them. Of course it has little processing power. It's made to be used on the go. It is a very specific computer for a very specific share of the notebook market. Some people were looking for something just like this from apple and they got it.

khunxhor
Jan 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
I can see this being popular with people constantly moving around - students

....not really....i'm a student, and even if I had the 2000 to spare I probably wouldnt go for it....

now im not too computer saavy...but I know that when "new" things like this come out for the first time they usually have a lot of kinks and bugs that need to be worked out...id also be afraid of snapping it in half or something:p

it does look fabulous though.....

As shallow as this may sound.....this is ONE of the reasons I love being a mac user....only Apple would come up with something as fabulous as this! :D (note there are many many many many other reasons :) )

MarlboroLite
Jan 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
Well I don't know if it will be a flop...I guess I hope it is successful, and with Apple's fortunes and publicity/marketing it's probably gonna be a hit. I'm more interested in seeing what Apple will do with this notebook in the future and how it will be improved specs-wise as well as seeing how the other notebooks develop over time. I am certainly not opposed to making things thinner and lighter, but I hope this obsession of Steve's doesn't start crippling the other lines.

psychofreak
Jan 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
Don't forget the backlit keyboard and multi-touch gestures...

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
....not really....i'm a student, and even if I had the 2000 to spare I probably wouldnt go for it....

now im not too computer saavy...but I know that when "new" things like this come out for the first time they usually have a lot of kinks and bugs that need to be worked out...id also be afraid of snapping it in half or something:p

it does look fabulous though.....

As shallow as this may sound.....this is ONE of the reasons I love being a mac user....only Apple would come up with something as fabulous as this! :D (note there are many many many many other reasons :) )

The very fact that a company would think that i would buy something on looks over function makes me never want to buy another product from them again. I have no problem with something looking good if it works well too, so many of apples recent products don't however, which is what makes me unhappy.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 04:42 PM
I know many people who love OS X but were forced into Windows evilness via the need for something more portable than a MacBook. This is for them. I expect it will do pretty well.

The problem is, this isn't really much more portable than the Macbook. True, it's thin and light, but it actually has a larger footprint than a Macbook.

Do you even understand why apple released this product. It is a secondary notebook for people who already own another computer.

An eighteen hundred dollar secondary notebook, huh?

fluidedge
Jan 15, 2008, 04:47 PM
Do you even understand why apple released this product. It is a secondary notebook for people who already own another computer. Yes, it would be stupid to buy it if it would be your only computer. Some people just want a super light weight, super portable notebook that they can take everywhere with them. Of course it has little processing power. It's made to be used on the go. It is a very specific computer for a very specific share of the notebook market. Some people were looking for something just like this from apple and they got it.

Yeh it's called a macbook.

The macbook weighs: 5lb

The macbook Air weighs: 3lb

Really if you can't stand carrying the equivalent of an extra bag of sugar i feel sorry for you.

I don't think Apple do 'very specific share' - they're big, they're brash - "this is the best thing ever" attitude.

MacRumorUser
Jan 15, 2008, 04:50 PM

EXACTLY.

I have a quad core MacPro with 8GB memory as my main desktop work machine, but I always like to have a laptop to do odd tasks away from home/work and to do a lot of surfing, keeping track of emails etc.

I rarely use the superdrive in my laptop as it stands

However I do like the LED screens and have always loved the backlit keyboards in the Powerbook and MacBook pro's.

For me the Macbook Air offers me a laptop thats ultra light, does everything i need it to do and gives me the extended mobility when I leave my desktop.

I already have a SR MBP but will get the air and sell the MBP to a relative.

Edit... Oh and not to mention that the MBA is far sexier and aesthetically pleasing than the the macbook. That may be superficial for you, but for me it's important. I like my aluminum machines.

The macbook is a good entry level laptop that suits a lot of people down to the ground
The macbook pro is a good step up from the macbook, offering a lot of key advantages
The macbook air - provides people with an already good desktop with a solid ultra-portable, with a lot of the advantages of the macbook pro line both in aesthetics and function.

There is a clear division for people who want to choose a laptop to buy.

If I can respect your choice to buy a macbook, why on earth do you need to moan and whine over the macbook air. Just because it's not for you - doesn't mean it is any less valid a computer.

If it's out of your price range, then it probably was never geared towards you in the first place.

heatmiser
Jan 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
For the price of a new MBA, you could buy *two* refurbished Macbooks, and use one as an outdoors machine (taking it to classes, on airplanes, to the beach), and one as an indoors machine. And they'd both have better stats than the MBA. This one's a no-brainer, folks. Save the money, and get the Macbook.

khunxhor
Jan 15, 2008, 04:51 PM
The very fact that a company would think that I would buy something on looks over function makes me never want to buy another product from them again. I have no problem with something looking good if it works well too, so many of apples recent products don't however, which is what makes me unhappy.

right, but it may be functional for certain people. Someone who needs a computer for web surfing, music and email ONLY (and has the money for it) will think the macbook air is a great buy...right? They can just slip it in their tote and off they go.....me on the otherhand not so much.....but thats just me....doesnt mean I wouldnt buy from apple...just means i wont buy that ;)

as far as their other recent products....i cant say much about....my mb seems functional....for my needs atleast

CJRhoades
Jan 15, 2008, 04:53 PM

Really if you can't stand carrying the equivalent of an extra bag of sugar i feel sorry for you.

I don't think Apple do 'very specific share' - they're big, they're brash - "this is the best thing ever" attitude.

*sigh* I see you still don't quite understand. Apple does do a very specific share. They just did. Why else would apple make a notebook that has so little cable jacks and other things. They didn't include firewire, ethernet, more than 1 USB, and all those other things because it's made to travel. Not to be set down on a desk, have ethernet, external hd, moniter, keyboard, and mouse connected to it. Like I said. It's very usefull if you want to leave your big notebook at home and just take something small with you.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
*sigh* I see you still don't quite understand. Apple does do a very specific share. They just did. Why else would apple make a notebook that has so little cable jacks and other things. They didn't include firewire, ethernet, more than 1 USB, and all those other things because it's made to travel. Not to be set down on a desk, have ethernet, external hd, moniter, keyboard, and mouse connected to it. Like I said. It's very usefull if you want to leave your big notebook at home and just take something small with you.

I'm all about making computers for travel. But this machine still doesn't fit that bill. It's footprint is too large.

When I think of sized for travel, I think Eee PC size. Small enough for my wife to shove in her purse. Not book-bag size.

Schmoe0013
Jan 15, 2008, 05:00 PM
definitely agree that it is meant to be used by people who already have a "base station" so to speak. A desktop setup as their main

CJRhoades
Jan 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
definitely agree that it is meant to be used by people who already have a "base station" so to speak. A desktop setup as their main

I like your term... "base station" I'm going to use that...

JasonBourne9
Jan 15, 2008, 05:03 PM

You are correct. A lot of people seem to be missing the point of this thing. I just ordered one because it is a great fit for me. It is a highly portable, capable-enough addition to my Mac Pro. I have a machine with a ton of performance and a 30" ACD at home for the heavy work, and I like having something slim and light for basic stuff on the road. Email, web, iTunes music, TV and films and light image editing, camera companion etc...

As a primary computer it misses the mark but Apple already has MBs and MBPs for that. What a lot of people seem to have wanted (a much cheaper version of this or a much more powerful version of this) would have competed directly with what Apple already offers and would have cannibalized sales. This plugs a nice gap in the product line. The secondary notebook for people who travel and can afford it. With a .mac account and the syncing and "back to my mac" functionality offered, this allows you to have a mini version of your home computer and access to all your files on the road. All in 3 lbs! For a frequent traveller like me that's a lot better than that half-assed solution of a MBP that is too slow and too limited in storage and screen size for what I want to do at home and too heavy to lug around on trips. And I don't mind spending for two computers, it's not a big cost for me.

Some of you are complaining that it is targeting too small of a market niche. Wellm this is the third notebook line they are launching, it stands to reason that it will appeal to fewer people than the first and second product lines. If it didn't Apple and SJ would have seriously miscalculated years ago.

Now, I don't think it is perfect. I would have gladly paid a bit more to have EVDO built in. For a device so obviously targeted at the frequent traveller, that's a pretty serious omission, but all the crap about slow processors and comparisons to the regular macbooks miss the mark. I would never buy a macbook, but I'm happy to pay for this. And that means Apple has shifted at least one more customer without cannibalizing an existing sale. And by the way, most of the people who will buy this aren't on these boards. But we do exist.

connectingrodd
Jan 15, 2008, 05:06 PM
EXACTLY.

I have a quad core MacPro with 8GB memory as my main desktop work machine, but I always like to have a laptop to do odd tasks away from home/work and to do a lot of surfing, keeping track of emails etc.

I rarely use the superdrive in my laptop as it stands

However I do like the LED screens and have always loved the backlit keyboards in the Powerbook and MacBook pro's.

For me the Macbook Air offers me a laptop thats ultra light, does everything i need it to do and gives me the extended mobility when I leave my desktop.

I already have a SR MBP but will get the air and sell the MBP to a relative.

Edit... Oh and not to mention that the MBA is far sexier and aesthetically pleasing than the the macbook. That may be superficial for you, but for me it's important. I like my aluminum machines.

The macbook is a good entry level laptop that suits a lot of people down to the ground
The macbook pro is a good step up from the macbook, offering a lot of key advantages
The macbook air - provides people with an already good desktop with a solid ultra-portable, with a lot of the advantages of the macbook pro line both in aesthetics and function.

There is a clear division for people who want to choose a laptop to buy.

If I can respect your choice to buy a macbook, why on earth do you need to moan and whine over the macbook air. Just because it's not for you - doesn't mean it is any less valid a computer.

If it's out of your price range, then it probably was never geared towards you in the first place.

Well I'm glad that you have so much money burning a hole in your pocket that you no longer care about value

To use the car comparison, this is like paying 90 grand for a 2 door economy car, that has a 110 hp engine, no ac, no power accessories, plastic hub caps, 13 inch wheels, a 4 speed manual with no over drive, and cheap cloth seats.

fluidedge
Jan 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
you two are being *incredibly* patronising and quite frankly rude.

i/we can see what apple are trying to do, I'm saying they've failed.

If you want travel/portable you can pick up a 12" powerbook/ibook (i know it's soooooo 3 years ago, but it is smaller than the MBA still.) Or pick up an Asus. Which Apple could have designed, 8" screen, 16GB solid state, all that crap.

I'm putting forward the view that Apple have dropped the ball/missed the boat with this one. If they wanted portability they could have made an Asus clone, say they made it 10 inches. I know SJ says companies comprimise on screen size etc but do you wonder why *every* other 'portable' laptop is sized around 10"?? Because it works.

MacRumorUser
Jan 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
most of the people who will buy this aren't on these boards. But we do exist.

No there's plenty of us here that will buy it , it's just we generally avoid the 'i'm having a big whine at apple' threads.
:)

CJRhoades
Jan 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
Well I'm glad that you have so much money burning a hole in your pocket that you no longer care about value

To use the car comparison, this is like paying 90 grand for a 2 door economy car, that has a 110 hp engine, no ac, no power accessories, plastic hub caps, 13 inch wheels, a 4 speed manual with no over drive, and cheap cloth seats.

Except we're talking about computers not cars. There is a lot of new technology in this notebook that nobody else has yet. It costs money to develop a notebook that is so thin and yet still has enough processing power and hd space to get you by. Therefore, it is more expensive. As the technology becomes cheeper, so will the notebook. Just give it time. I'm sure apple will drop the prices in 2-3 years. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Other people will.

Queso
Jan 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
When first announced I was ready to get out my credit card, but now I'm holding out until I actually play with one. It'll be to replace an aging PB12" that I take to my clients. All my media stuff goes on the iMac, so a 1.6GHz Air would be plenty fast for what I need.

However, there's a couple of things that do concern me about the Air. The sealed nature of the unit means that 2GB RAM is all you'll ever get. The battery can't be replaced. I also worry that neither the the SSD drive nor the HD just aren't big enough for a modern laptop, and I would have liked a FireWire port.

The annoying thing is that my PB12" (a rev A 867MHz model) is slowly dying, which screen backlight issues and all sorts of nasty noises coming out of the hard disk. So I have to buy something soon, which will force the issue quite quickly.

Sceneshifter
Jan 15, 2008, 05:24 PM
An eighteen hundred dollar secondary notebook, huh?
Few, for a minute I thought I was the only one here not growing $$ in his garden!

Queso
Jan 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
Few, for a minute I thought I was the only one here not growing $$ in his garden!
Just remember $$ aren't what they were. Some of us have our savings in ;)

fluidedge
Jan 15, 2008, 05:26 PM
When first announced I was ready to get out my credit card, but now I'm holding out until I actually play with one. It'll be to replace an aging PB12" that I take to my clients. All my media stuff goes on the iMac, so a 1.6GHz Air would be plenty fast for what I need.

However, there's a couple of things that do concern me about the Air. The sealed nature of the unit means that 2GB RAM is all you'll ever get. The battery can't be replaced. I also worry that neither the the SSD drive nor the HD just aren't big enough for a modern laptop, and I would have liked a FireWire port.

The annoying thing is that my PB12" (a rev A 867MHz model) is slowly dying, which screen backlight issues and all sorts of nasty noises coming out of the hard disk. So I have to buy something soon, which will force the issue quite quickly.

Simple - Macbook Pro

CJRhoades
Jan 15, 2008, 05:26 PM

What do you expect? It's brand new technology... And, they had to get intel to downsize there c2d processor for it. I'm sure that alone brought the price up.

Queso
Jan 15, 2008, 05:29 PM
Simple - Macbook Pro
I suspect that's where I'm going to end up, despite the 15" MBP being heavier and bulkier than what I'd ideally like. I reckon they'll be refreshed with the mobile Penryn and multi-touch trackpads some time in February or March. Here's hoping the PB12 holds out for another month or two.

What do you expect? It's brand new technology... And, they had to get intel to downsize there c2d processor for it. I'm sure that alone brought the price up.
Looking at that processor, it seems to be the 65nm variety of the C2D with all the logic reduced in size by directly soldering it onto the board. On an Intel board I don't suspect it'll be that more expensive. It'll be things like the LED screen that will be pushing the price up.

fluidedge
Jan 15, 2008, 05:39 PM
I suspect that's where I'm going to end up, despite the 15" MBP being heavier and bulkier than what I'd ideally like. I reckon they'll be refreshed with the mobile Penryn and multi-touch trackpads some time in February or March. Here's hoping the PB12 holds out for another month or two.

Looking at that processor, it seems to be the 65nm variety of the C2D with all the logic reduced in size by directly soldering it onto the board. On an Intel board I don't suspect it'll be that more expensive. It'll be things like the LED screen that will be pushing the price up.

perhaps a macbook would do you then? Same size as the Air...

weg
Jan 15, 2008, 05:41 PM
How many people have been complaining that their MB/MBP was too thick - "man, this 1" MB is way too heavy for me, i wish i had something thinner/lighter" - i've not seen that mentioned once on these forums.

I'd consider it if it was the size of my 12" Powerbook G4 (I don't care how thick my laptop is). The MB Air (btw., what does the "air" stand for??) is 2 inches wider and 0.3 inches deeper than my 12" Powerbook.

ditzy
The very fact that a company would think that i would buy something on looks over function makes me never want to buy another product from them again. I have no problem with something looking good if it works well too, so many of apples recent products don't however, which is what makes me unhappy.

They probably don't think that you will. But you are not their whole market share. There will be people who buy this prduct and be very happy with it.
For those who spec is more improtant than potability you can still buy a MB or MBP. If they had decided to stop making those products then everyone would have a legitimate reason to complain.

Queso
perhaps a macbook would do you then? Same size as the Air...
No. It may sound shallow, but if I'm taking a laptop into a client's office I'd prefer a metal one :p

Matiek
Jan 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
Compare the MBA to this ultra thin:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644507782&parentCategoryId=16154&XID=O:sony%20tz:dg_vinb_gglsrch

Many businesses buy these for their employees.

Batt
Jan 15, 2008, 05:47 PM

So, no Lamborghinis in your garage, huh?

fluidedge
Jan 15, 2008, 05:51 PM
No. It may sound shallow, but if I'm taking a laptop into a client's office I'd prefer a metal one :p

Lol! I can quite understand that.

Not being funny, but what about a 12" Powerbook G4, the titanium one! I know its what you have now, but you love it don't you!!

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
I'd consider it if it was the size of my 12" Powerbook G4 (I don't care how thick my laptop is). The MB Air (btw., what does the "air" stand for??) is 2 inches wider and 0.3 inches deeper than my 12" Powerbook.

I agree with you. Thin is important, but it's no more important than any other dimension of the computer.

When I look at the air, I see a medium sized computer. I don't see a small, very portable computer, because I'm still going to have to carry it around in a Macbook sized bag (or possibly bigger because I'd be scared ******** about breaking something that thin).

I'd like Apple, and other manufacturers, to start thinking more in terms of reducing the overall volume of the machine, not obsessing over a single dimension.

I get it with phones. But, I'm not going to be carrying my computer in my pocket. So, why do I care if it's RAZR thin, especially when it's Macbook fat everywhere else?

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 05:59 PM

Not being funny, but what about a 12" Powerbook G4, the titanium one! I know its what you have now, but you love it don't you!!

It's getting harder and harder to find reliable, good looking G4 Powerbooks. I think the ship has sailed on that one.

LethalWolfe
Jan 15, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'm going to reserve judgement until these things hit the streets and get real user feedback. People said the iPod and iPhone cost too much and did too little when they were first announced too and, well, we know how that went.

Lethal

MacRumorUser
Jan 15, 2008, 06:03 PM

As an owner of a 12" prior there are problems with it

One it's not powerful enough (even compared to a 1.6 Core2Duo)
Two no backlit keyboard
Three the screen is poo in comparison to the new LED

The MBA will suit a lot of people - why do feel the need to try and convince people that their purchasing is decision is wrong, simply because you don't want one ? :confused:

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm going to reserve judgement until these things hit the streets and get real user feedback. People said the iPod and iPhone cost too much and did too little when they were first announced too and, well, we know how that went.

Lethal

Apple broke new ground with the iPod and iPhone. Apart from being thin, this is no different than any other Mac.

steve_hill4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
I'm all about making computers for travel. But this machine still doesn't fit that bill. It's footprint is too large.

When I think of sized for travel, I think Eee PC size. Small enough for my wife to shove in her purse. Not book-bag size.

Apple aren't advertising it as book-bag sized, but envelope sized. Get over it. ;)

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
The MBA will suit a lot of people - why do feel the need to try and convince people that their purchasing is decision is wrong, simply because you don't want one ? :confused:

This is a Mac forum. Aren't we supposed to discuss these sorts of things?

Personally, I could care less who buys the thing, or for what reason. To me, "I want it", is a good enough reason.

For me, it's not about convincing anyone of anything. It's just about interesting conversation. I just happen to fall on the "Air has too many shortcomings" side of the conversation.

CJRhoades
Jan 15, 2008, 06:13 PM

They never made a 12" titanium powerbook g4. Only aluminum.

MacRumorUser
Jan 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
This is a Mac forum. Aren't we supposed to discuss these sorts of things?

I agree and my comment was not directed at you but at the OP who seems incapable of accepting that others will want this laptop.

Even when we posted reasons he said we were being patronizing, and yet still continues to assume that we are all wrong for wanting one and we should all buy a MBP, MB or an old powerbook if we want something smaller. :rolleyes:

I mean if that isn't patronizing what is ?

LethalWolfe
Jan 15, 2008, 06:28 PM
Apple broke new ground with the iPod and iPhone. Apart from being thin, this is no different than any other Mac.

Hindsight being 20/20 yes, but at their respective releases people were saying, "How much for just an MP3 player" about the iPod and "It costs as much as high end phone X but does less and is only available w/a single carrier?" about the iPhone.

I don't know how successful the MBA will or won't be, but Apple has earned the benefit of the doubt w/me.

Lethal

MagicBoy
Jan 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
Now, I don't think it is perfect. I would have gladly paid a bit more to have EVDO built in. For a device so obviously targeted at the frequent traveller, that's a pretty serious omission, but all the crap about slow processors and comparisons to the regular macbooks miss the mark.

Pretty much agree with everything you've said apart from this. Problem with EVDO is it's a US only standard. Europe and a lot of places outside the US are using GSM 3G/HSDPA. To build different cellular data into the MB Air would require a lot of re-engineering and Apple have already got their fingers burnt in Europe with the iPhone. O2 in the UK had to go back and install an EDGE network in addition to the 3G/HSDPA just for the iPhone and it's not been a sales success over here.

The best option would appear to be a USB modem. Most of the providers in the UK are now offering USB HSDPA modems on the unlimited data tarriffs for the growing number of Mac users. The other common option is using a handset as a modem via Bluetooth.

connectingrodd4
Jan 15, 2008, 06:51 PM

The iphone did cost too much, had problems and had a none removable battery... this is exactly the reason that I have not nor will I ever buy one.

kockgunner
Jan 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
what else does the MBAir have to offer? [snip]

I agree. It seems like Apple made the Air simply to show off its engineering skills but ended up giving the end user nothing. I mean come on, 1 USB port, 64 GB SSD Drive for $3000? Is the Macbook really that much more "unportable"? And what's with the black keyboard and unproportional trackpad? It really seems like an unfinished test product

aiterum
Jan 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
i'd hate to have a laptop that thin

i'd be afraid that every time i go to use the trackpad i'd accidently press too hard and snap the thing

lasuther
Jan 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
I was very disappointed with the MacBook Air. I love the size, but the computer is just so underpowered.

I remember the 12" PowerBook being popular because it had some power behind it. This MacBook Air is very underpowered in comparison to the MacBook. The MacBook has a much stronger Processor, larger and faster hard drive, a Super Drive, more ports, and the ability to upgrade your memory and HD. The foot print of the two computers are the same, so for the extra $450 or so you get a thinner and much weaker computer.

Definitely not for most people, but some will like it. Once the track pad makes it way into the rest of the portable line, there won't be much of a reason to get this. I'll be more interested in Rev B if it can at least equal the power of a MacBook.

meagain
Jan 15, 2008, 09:35 PM
I've come to the conclusion that everyone here wants a MacBook pro in a 2 pound small machine for $1300.

And what's even funnier, is no one realizes the cost of this ssd drive and how the price of Air is beyond resonable especially compared to others out there like the Toshiba R500 which is in my house right now and is a $3k POS.

If one wants to do photoshop, gaming, etc. and need a beefy laptop - why would you even consider a light/slim laptop? Where are all these great skinny 3 pound laptops that are so amazing? I'd like to know.

Further, Apple has 5 other laptops to choose from other than Air. What am I missing here?

I remember the 12" PowerBook being popular because it had some power behind it. This MacBook Air is very underpowered in comparison to the MacBook. The MacBook has a much stronger Processor, larger and faster hard drive, a Super Drive, more ports, and the ability to upgrade your memory and HD. The foot print of the two computers are the same, so for the extra $450 or so you get a thinner and much weaker computer.

For $450 you get TWO POUNDS lighter (significant), super-slim to fit better in bags/luggage, more comfort in hauling it around & on your lap, cool form factor, backlit keys, and is Multi-Touch of no value/interest to anyone?

'Some' of us have an iMac or MacPro already and need a laptop for use as NOT their main machine. 'Some' of us travel a lot and yes, the size/weight is valuable.

I'm astounded at what people expected out of this. It's a great computer IMO.

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 09:55 PM
The iphone did cost too much, had problems and had a none removable battery... this is exactly the reason that I have not nor will I ever buy one.

That's nice, but it has nothing to do with this discussion.

iW00t
Jan 15, 2008, 10:00 PM
For $450 you get TWO POUNDS lighter (significant), super-slim to fit better in bags/luggage, more comfort in hauling it around & on your lap, cool form factor, backlit keys, and is Multi-Touch of no value/interest to anyone?

'Some' of us have an iMac or MacPro already and need a laptop for use as NOT their main machine. 'Some' of us travel a lot and yes, the size/weight is valuable.

You speak as though there are no compromises to accomplish those gains.

It also has a much weaker processor, soldered on memory modules, non user replaceable batteries (seriously, lol!), and no ability to play optical disks.

Hey, if I need such a small computer the Fujitsu P series does all everything the Macbook Air does, with non of the drawbacks - it has a optical drive, a 10" screen, a ULV processor, oh and the ability to carry additional batteries so I can... you know... bring it to a picnic and stuff to watch more than 2 movies.

It is portable, true, since it is portable you do not need much power anyway, but the amount of compromises taken to get it small is kinda ridiculous.

What does a Macbook Air give me over a Fujitsu P? The Japs have done it 5 years ago! Core 2 Duo processor? Who cares, it is for light use anyway, not like Core 2 Duo is going to affect me a lot more for surfing the "Internets".

mick4394
Jan 15, 2008, 10:08 PM

Thin wowed us when the RAZR came out. It's been done.

meagain
Jan 15, 2008, 10:14 PM
You speak as though there are no compromises to accomplish those gains.

It also has a much weaker processor, soldered on memory modules, non user replaceable batteries (seriously, lol!), and no ability to play optical disks.

Hey, if I need such a small computer the Fujitsu P series does all everything the Macbook Air does, with non of the drawbacks - it has a optical drive, a 10" screen, a ULV processor, oh and the ability to carry additional batteries so I can... you know... bring it to a picnic and stuff to watch more than 2 movies.

It is portable, true, since it is portable you do not need much power anyway, but the amount of compromises taken to get it small is kinda ridiculous.

What does a Macbook Air give me over a Fujitsu P? The Japs have done it 5 years ago! Core 2 Duo processor? Who cares, it is for light use anyway, not like Core 2 Duo is going to affect me a lot more for surfing the "Internets".

I cannot compare a computer with a 10 inch screen to a MAC with a 13.3". Sorry, not interested in a Fujitsu. :)

Apple dissapointed because they didn't take the current MacBook Pro and lighten it up 2-3 pounds. Your time will come. This is it's own computer/niche. For now.

angelneo
Jan 15, 2008, 10:44 PM
My previous job requires me to travel often to meet clients sometimes for support, sometimes for presentation etc. MBA is fine where it stands now for the target market it is aiming at.

The laptop (IBM) I was using before was only 2G single core with 1G ram, with a 80G harddisk, it suits me just fine and the only complaint I had was that it is butt ugly and heavy. After lugging it for half a day, you will appreciate it being 2 lb lighter.

In terms of foot print, I am already carrying standard sized documents around in my bag. With that size, MBA will fit snugly into my bag compartments. With some smaller sized laptop I tried, I had to find a strap in my bag to make sure it doesn't shake too much.

Problem with many whiners here is that they try to think how this product suit THEIR needs, well, if you think it is sub-par, then this product is not for you, there's still MB and MBP.

LethalWolfe
Jan 15, 2008, 11:24 PM
Problem with many whiners here is that they try to think how this product suit THEIR needs, well, if you think it is sub-par, then this product is not for you, there's still MB and MBP.
Exactly, horses for courses as they say.

Lethal

Zwhaler
Jan 16, 2008, 01:15 AM
You can add the MacBook Air to the list of Apple flops as far as i am concerned.

It was released less than 5 hours before you posted this... how about you wait and see how it sells before calling it a flop.

Mastamarek
Jan 16, 2008, 01:23 AM
Hey, if I need such a small computer the Fujitsu P series does all everything the Macbook Air does, with non of the drawbacks

It doesn't run Leopard at a very respectable speed

C2D is wayyy faster then ULV cpu. Even if it is meant for very simple stuff, ULV is still slowwww. All Sont TX, toshiba's are slooowww + they run widows xp/vista which needs lot more performance just to run Aero. Leopard on the other hand ...

Justinerator
Jan 16, 2008, 02:18 AM
Old Idea + Apple + New Hardware - Function = Revolutionary? :confused:

EDdoc
Feb 3, 2008, 05:44 AM

There will be a lot of people interested in the MBA, those who carry a regular sized or narrow briefcase for their daily business. I can now stop carrying a second bag and yet still have the same screensize and keyboard as a regular laptop minus 2 lbs. Those pounds feel like a ton when you carry them for months.
Not an issue for everybody, but I see plenty of business people with briefcases, maybe that's why it is also being called the MBA. I ordered mine after I stopped at an Apple store and handled it for a few minutes. It will replace my 15 inch G4 laptop. For the heavy video and photo editing lifting I have a Mac Pro at home.
Again, a niche market product, but one for a large market.
....and I agree with a lot of the other posts: It feels better once you have had one in your hands. Impressive

sushi
Feb 3, 2008, 06:06 AM
For the price of a new MBA, you could buy *two* refurbished Macbooks, and use one as an outdoors machine (taking it to classes, on airplanes, to the beach), and one as an indoors machine. And they'd both have better stats than the MBA. This one's a no-brainer, folks. Save the money, and get the Macbook.
And your point is?

heatmiser it is obvious that you do not like the MBA for what ever reason, and hope that it will fail. This can easily be seen by your numerous posts around MR on various threads.

However, I would suggest to you, that some MR members and others can easily drop 2-3 grand on a lightweight Mac laptop such as the MBA if it fits their needs/wants whatever they may be. For some it will be style. For others functionality in that it is lighter and thinner. Some may prefer it over the MB because of the lighted keyboard in conjunction with their work area. Each person will make their own decision on what works for them.

BTW, for those of us who may have to carry many things in addition to a laptop, 2 pounds can make a difference. And it is not only 2 pounds. You also have to consider the weight of the bag, cover, and other type items. It all adds up.

As for your suggestion above, why would I want two laptops? It may work for you, but I would rather have a nice desktop (iMac or MacPro) and an MBA. My point being that we all have different needs and wants.

pesc
Feb 3, 2008, 06:18 AM
Further, Apple has 5 other laptops to choose from other than Air. What am I missing here?

None is mobile! The three year old 12" Powerbook was.

shadie
Feb 3, 2008, 06:47 AM
I don't see it mentioned but I'm certain thin computing is the future, I already have a RAID NAS that does my iTunes sharing, BITorrent, SAMBA, FTP and backup, I use a multitude of different laptop computers (Thin Clients) including a Tablet to watch movies, access what I need when I need it using either wireless or remote access. Bookmarks are in sync between all machines using Gmail sync etc.

Even a lowly PIII 500MHz is capable of running what I need as all the heavy lifting is done on my server.

I think the MBA is perfect for me but I'll still wait for the reviews to come out.

Welcome to the future..

ctt1wbw
Feb 3, 2008, 08:08 AM
No there's plenty of us here that will buy it , it's just we generally avoid the 'i'm having a big whine at apple' threads.
:)

Whatchoo talkin bout, Lewis? There's no whiners here. :rolleyes::D

ctt1wbw
Feb 3, 2008, 08:08 AM

Laptops aren't mobile? Huh? :confused:

NC MacGuy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:30 AM
I too felt a little that way immediately after the keynote. What a let down same footprint as MB, underpowered, not enough ports, no optical, etc, etc, etc....

Well after really looking at it and accessing my needs I think the Air is perfect for me while traveling. It really isn't as underpowered as you'd think - C2D processors aren't all that shabby. It does have the 3100 graphics proc. Backllt keyboard, LED backlit display, magnetic latch, multi-gesture trackpad and the build quality seems to be the best I've encountered in an Apple product since my old G3 Irish built powerbook. They are really well built machines. I have a MBP that is too large for travel and a MB I used to use as a travel computer. The Mb while not that bad is for a different user. The Blackbook always looked tacky and greasy with fingerprints and frankly when using it at important meetings was not so professional looking. I got my new Air two days ago and so far love it and next week while going through three airports I'll love it even more. Can't tell much of a performance difference from the MB or MBP - really. Of course I'm using all the app's that this product was designed for.

Cybergypsy
Feb 3, 2008, 08:38 AM
My previous job requires me to travel often to meet clients sometimes for support, sometimes for presentation etc. MBA is fine where it stands now for the target market it is aiming at.

The laptop (IBM) I was using before was only 2G single core with 1G ram, with a 80G harddisk, it suits me just fine and the only complaint I had was that it is butt ugly and heavy. After lugging it for half a day, you will appreciate it being 2 lb lighter.

In terms of foot print, I am already carrying standard sized documents around in my bag. With that size, MBA will fit snugly into my bag compartments. With some smaller sized laptop I tried, I had to find a strap in my bag to make sure it doesn't shake too much.

Great statement, I could not agree more

fluidedge
Feb 3, 2008, 12:27 PM

Are you seriously saying weight is the only factor in being mobile?

the MBA is exactly the same size as a macbook, same size screen too??

What the hell are you on thinking the 13" macbook is not mobile!?

pesc
Feb 3, 2008, 06:47 PM
Are you seriously saying weight is the only factor in being mobile?

the MBA is exactly the same size as a macbook, same size screen too??

What the hell are you on thinking the 13" macbook is not mobile!?

When I bought my 12" PB in 2005 it replaced a Dell Latitude L400. The Dell was 12" and had no optical drive. It was thinner than the PB, lighter and had a slightly smaller footprint. I was a bit concerned but the 12" PB had more power and was mobile enough. I'm very happy with it. Now, why do laptops get larger and larger over the years?

My priorities in mobile metrics are: (1) weight, (2) footprint, (3) thickness, and I place thickness far far below the other two.

Personally, I won't consider purchasing any of the current Apple laptops (possibly excluding the MBA). I think they are all much too bulky / heavy. I carry my laptop everyday. I travel a lot. And it is my main machine.

The footprint is the most difficult size to get right. The reason the MBA has a large footprint is because Apple wants to have a large screen on it. Personally I think 12" screens give a better footprint. The resolution could be increased. I have good eyesight and why else is OS X going to be resolution independent? I also prefer a screen without reduced height (widescreen) for larger screen area but I understand that this is out of vogue.

Whenever I am at one of my desks I connect a large screen and large keyboard/mouse so I have a better display and better ergonomics than a 17" MBP. The laptop runs with the lid closed. (A 17" laptop still boggles my mind. It's obviously not ment to travel with. Don't people use real screens while working at their desktops?)

So I'm sorry, Apple doesn't sell a laptop with a small enough footprint for my taste. Cost is not a problem, but I keep my 12" PB.

peterlobl
Feb 3, 2008, 07:08 PM

exactly - if a mobile computer can't fit in a woman's purse, I want nothing to do with it...
it's literally the best to keep asking your wife every time u need to do a quick doc update or email send...
"Honey, can you pass me your pocketbook, pleeeeez"

robrose20
Feb 3, 2008, 07:11 PM

Its not more portable .... it is the same footprint as the MB. That is the point. It is thinner, it is lighter, but it is NOT more portable. Especially if you travel and have to carry an extra bag to hold the ethernet adapter, external hard drive, and superdrive.

Its superthin ... not a ultraportable.

bearwise
Feb 3, 2008, 07:12 PM
you two are being *incredibly* patronising and quite frankly rude.

i/we can see what apple are trying to do, I'm saying they've failed.

If you want travel/portable you can pick up a 12" powerbook/ibook (i know it's soooooo 3 years ago, but it is smaller than the MBA still.) Or pick up an Asus. Which Apple could have designed, 8" screen, 16GB solid state, all that crap.

I'm putting forward the view that Apple have dropped the ball/missed the boat with this one. If they wanted portability they could have made an Asus clone, say they made it 10 inches. I know SJ says companies comprimise on screen size etc but do you wonder why *every* other 'portable' laptop is sized around 10"?? Because it works.

The key fact here is that this is a sub notebook and in that niche it is neither underpowered or over priced. A Sony TZ starts at $2200 and is nowhere near as powerful. For a business frequent traveller lugging around even a 5 lb MB or MBP, pulling it out for security checkpoints in airports over and over starts to get old really fast. If you have specific power needs, the Air isnt for you but if you are like me and read and review documents, write 5-10 page documents, do the occasional spread sheet and spend 1-2 weeks a month on the road, the Air is perfect. I have have one and at least 3 of my colleagues who do similar work have just ordered one. If you have ever tried to write for 2+ hours on a typical subnotebook like I do all the time, you will realize that tiny keyboards and small screens do not "work". Every other subnotebook has a 10" screen, do you think a different approach might not appeal to many in the market for such a machine?

kuwisdelu
Feb 3, 2008, 07:18 PM
Its not more portable .... it is the same footprint as the MB. That is the point. It is thinner, it is lighter, but it is NOT more portable. Especially if you travel and have to carry an extra bag to hold the ethernet adapter, external hard drive, and superdrive.

Its superthin ... not a ultraportable.

So what, then, is the definition of an ultraportable? To many users, it is quite a bit more portable than a MacBook. I'm not sure what you carry your laptop in, but there are many, many people who need to carry around folders, spiral-bound notebooks, papers, books, etc., along with their laptop, and thus will have a bag at least as big as that, which is big enough for a MacBook Air. For us, a smaller footprint will make no difference whatsoever, while thinness makes room for more books, notebooks, etc.

A smaller footprint may be your definition of ultraportable, but it's not everyone's. Thinness adds a lot of portability for many people.

So far, most ultraportables have been characterized by a small footprint, which means a small keyboard and small screen. Apple realized that there is a gap in the ultraportable market for those who want portability without sacrificing keyboard and screen size--those who want to not notice that they're carrying a laptop while its in their bag, and then not feel like it's undersized at all when they open it up. And that's the way Apple went with it, which won't appeal the fans of a small footprint, but is perfect for many others.

diabolic
Feb 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
If you have ever tried to write for 2+ hours on a typical subnotebook like I do all the time, you will realize that tiny keyboards and small screens do not "work".

This is exactly how I feel. Not everyone has the eyes of a 20 year old. :)

To me, anything under a 12" screen is a novelty, not something I can actually use productively for an extended period of time.

cenetti
Feb 3, 2008, 07:25 PM
ok, my other posts in other threads got deleted...they said I was trolling...

ok then hopefully in this thread, I wont be considered as a "TROLL"...

MBA is the worst computer Apple released in last 5 years..period..
I dont understand the pricing nor the specs....doesnt make sense to me in anyway, shape or form....

I could never justify paying 3K and ending up with 30gb free space...on a 1.8 machine....no matter how thin it is....

finally, I spent some alone time with MBA today at the store.....
and now my negative opinion is even stronger.....

HLdan
Feb 3, 2008, 07:28 PM
I was very disappointed with the MacBook Air. I love the size, but the computer is just so underpowered.

I remember the 12" PowerBook being popular because it had some power behind it. This MacBook Air is very underpowered in comparison to the MacBook.

What the hell is wrong with most of you on this forum??? You love to use the word "UNDERPOWERED" because it's convenient and you can only use this word when comparing Apple's line only.
Compare Sony's 11" wonder in power or any other ultra portable from other companies and then tell us if the MBA is "UNDERPOWERED".
It's stupid to compare it to Apple's own line of computers. Apple is not trying to compete with it's own line as that would not make sense.

Is Sony's 1-1.3Ghz ULV CPU notebook's more powerful compared to the MBA's 1.6-1.8 C2D CPU? Be fair, this whole UNDERPOWERED crap is getting quite old. The MR crowd just wants to complain because it's Apple. If any other small time company made the AIR then the MR crowd would be pissed at Apple for not doing it first. BTW the 12" Powerbook was not that powerful nor was it all that popular. Many people hated it for what it lacked against the 15-17" Powerbooks.

Hankster
Feb 3, 2008, 07:30 PM
People who don't care for the MBA don't understand its use. It's not designed for power, it's designed for email and Internet portability. Some people will never understand that not all products are made for them.

diabolic
Feb 3, 2008, 07:31 PM
Is Sony's 1-1.3Ghz ULV CPU notebook's more powerful compared to the MBA's 1.6-1.8 C2D CPU? Be fair, this whole UNDERPOWERED crap is getting quite old.

It's funny. Up against the MB and MBP, it's underpowered (but the Sony isn't). Up against the Sony, it's not small enough. It makes me laugh. The perspective always changes to fit the situation.

cenetti
Feb 3, 2008, 07:34 PM
What the hell is wrong with most of you on this forum??? You love to use the word "UNDERPOWERED" because it's convenient and you can only use this word when comparing Apple's line only.
Compare Sony's 11" wonder in power or any other ultra portable from other companies and then tell us if the MBA is "UNDERPOWERED".
It's stupid to compare it to Apple's own line of computers. Apple is not trying to compete with it's own line as that would not make sense.

Is Sony's 1-1.3Ghz ULV CPU notebook's more powerful compared to the MBA's 1.6-1.8 C2D CPU? Be fair, this whole UNDERPOWERED crap is getting quite old. The MR crowd just wants to complain because it's Apple. If any other small time company made the AIR then the MR crowd would be pissed at Apple for not doing it first.

I wouldnt pay 3K for sony either...but for the purpose (ULTRA-PORTABLE) SONY WINS HANDS DOWN...yes its a very underpowered machine too...but why would you need a power horse as an ULTRA PORTABLE?

air is not portable...not even close...it is the same size as regular macbook...
IT IS NOT ULTA PORTABLE!

go pick up a sony and see what real ULTRAPORTABLE looks like....

aiongiant
Feb 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
why do ppl that "hate" the macbook air go into the macbook air forum???
if you don't like it then thats fine.. so go to forums that have the stuff that you like

as for the title of this thread is kind of annoying i think
it's like
so apart from being fast what the point of a sportscar
so apart from being sexy whats the point of a supermodel

Apple does not advertise this product as being SUPER fast or it having alot of harddrive space or it being "ultra portable"
Apple advertist this product as being "THIN"
everything else is up to you if you think it's portable casue it's thin sure

HLdan
Feb 3, 2008, 07:41 PM
air is not portable...not even close...it is the same size as regular macbook...
I

Oh The AIR is not "Portable" now??? Okay, now you are just being ridiculous. Any notebook is portable, you just hate the AIR, well good Apple doesn't need YOU as a customer for it, you'd drive them nuts with whining phone calls.

I've seen the Sony with my magnifying glass. The screen is too small, the keyboard is retarded to type on and you can't do much with a processor that's close to what an iPhone may have.
I'm 99.9% sure if Apple made the exact machine as the Sony you would try to sue Apple for making something so dumb.

robrose20
Feb 3, 2008, 07:41 PM
So what, then, is the definition of an ultraportable? To many users, it is quite a bit more portable than a MacBook. I'm not sure what you carry your laptop in, but there are many, many people who need to carry around folders, spiral-bound notebooks, papers, books, etc., along with their laptop, and thus will have a bag at least as big as that, which is big enough for a MacBook Air. For us, a smaller footprint will make no difference whatsoever, while thinness makes room for more books, notebooks, etc.

A smaller footprint may be your definition of ultraportable, but it's not everyone's. Thinness adds a lot of portability for many people.

So far, most ultraportables have been characterized by a small footprint, which means a small keyboard and small screen. Apple realized that there is a gap in the ultraportable market for those who want portability without sacrificing keyboard and screen size--those who want to not notice that they're carrying a laptop while its in their bag, and then not feel like it's undersized at all when they open it up. And that's the way Apple went with it, which won't appeal the fans of a small footprint, but is perfect for many others.

To quote Abraham Lincoln and King Solomon:

"This too shall pass"....

The MBA shall go the way of the Dodo, The Mac Cube, Lisa, Apple III, etc ..

I give is 12 months at the most ..... any takers?

kuwisdelu
Feb 3, 2008, 07:45 PM
To quote Abraham Lincoln and King Solomon:

"This too shall pass"....

The MBA shall go the way of the Dodo, The Mac Cube, Lisa, Apple III, etc ..

I give is 12 months at the most ..... any takers?

So you can't admit that others may find other things more important than footprint when it comes to how portable a laptop is? Anything bigger than 12" screen is automatically not portable? It must be wrong?

diabolic
Feb 3, 2008, 07:47 PM
I'd take the added footprint for the extra screen size any day.

cenetti
Feb 3, 2008, 07:49 PM
I've seen the Sony with my magnifying glass. The screen is too small, the keyboard is retarded to type on and you can't do much with a processor that's close to what an iPhone may have.

Thats what real ULTA-PORTABLE is......
same size as macbook and only 2lb lighter is not ULTRA-PORTABLE....

kuwisdelu
Feb 3, 2008, 07:56 PM

No, that's what an ultraportable was. Apple chose to go a different way with the idea, offering an ultraportable for people who've been looking for a laptop more portable than a regular MacBook, but without sacrificing screen and keyboard size. And it's gotten a lot of flack for it, obviously. Because there are lots of people who think that's not what an ultraportable is, but there are also lots of people who think that's exactly what ultraportables should have been all along. More portability without sacrificing the screen and the keyboard. Apple wanted to make a notebook that you can put in a briefcase-sized bag (which many people need to carry with or without a laptop) and forget you're carrying it, and then open it up and not even notice you're using a subnotebook, rather than struggling with the tiny screen and tiny keyboard that have turned some off subnotebooks in the first place. And that's exactly what it accomplishes for many people. It's just a different take on the whole ultraportable idea than everyone is used to.

bearwise
Feb 3, 2008, 08:17 PM
I wouldnt pay 3K for sony either...but for the purpose (ULTRA-PORTABLE) SONY WINS HANDS DOWN...yes its a very underpowered machine too...but why would you need a power horse as an ULTRA PORTABLE?

IT IS NOT ULTA PORTABLE!

I have one , wanna buy it? small hard to use keyboard, small (but nice) screen. Takes about 5 minutes to boot. Multiple windows open at the same time a challenge. Try spending 4 hours writing technical articles on it on a plane or in a hotel late at night. And to me it has always seemed a little "plasticy", and know a few that have gone through a few TX's due to cracking the lid/screen. It IS a great portable DVD player, I'll give you that, but then I have never used it for that. Oh, and did I mention that the Air runs OSX AND vista, which for my purposes is key?

the definition of ultraportable status based on foot print is arbitrary... for me weight is the thing. The whole point FOR ME is that is has a full sized keyboard and nice screen, weighs 3 pounds and does what i want, and for my uses beats the friggin pants of any other sub 4 pound out there

island
Feb 3, 2008, 08:18 PM
No one cares what you think, enjoy your computer and shut up.

ok, my other posts in other threads got deleted...they said I was trolling...

ok then hopefully in this thread, I wont be considered as a "TROLL"...

MBA is the worst computer Apple released in last 5 years..period..
I dont understand the pricing nor the specs....doesnt make sense to me in anyway, shape or form....

I could never justify paying 3K and ending up with 30gb free space...on a 1.8 machine....no matter how thin it is....

finally, I spent some alone time with MBA today at the store.....
and now my negative opinion is even stronger.....

bearwise
Feb 3, 2008, 08:20 PM

Your definition, thank God not Apples.......

HLdan
Feb 3, 2008, 08:20 PM

Am I suppose to care that the AIR is not an "Ultra-Portable"? I never said it was on any of my posts and neither has Apple. All I care about is if the AIR's size fits my needs and it does. The regular Macbook does not. It's bigger and clunkier and I don't need it.
The Sony is laughable. At least on the AIR you can do some serious Photoshop work. I can't do photo editing on an 11" screen and with it being so slow I could never expect it to render images.
What's the point of Sony having all these ports and features if I can't even do video editing on it from my digicam? It's too slow.
I think my posts make more of a stance as I AM interested in the AIR. The people that are not interested just want to wreak havoc so what's the point of posting? And before you say that you are entitled to your opinion, an opinion is one thing but to bash a product and try to talk people out of it and c-block Apple from selling it then you are wasting time posting.

robrose20
Feb 3, 2008, 09:25 PM
So you can't admit that others may find other things more important than footprint when it comes to how portable a laptop is? Anything bigger than 12" screen is automatically not portable? It must be wrong?

ummm.. yeah ... ultra-portable implies that it is smaller and occupies less space that other notebook computers. This one doesn't. It is ultra thin, not ultra-portable. Its overpriced, underpowered, is the same footprint as the MB and is less capable.

It will fail.

I pity anyone who buys this Edsel.

kuwisdelu
Feb 3, 2008, 09:29 PM
ummm.. yeah ... ultra-portable implies that it is smaller and occupies less space that other notebook computers. This one doesn't. It is ultra thin, not ultra-portable. Its overpriced, underpowered, is the same footprint as the MB and is less capable.

It will fail.

Being so thin kind of makes it smaller and occupy less space...

Like I said before, I don't know what kind of bag you put your laptop in, but the briefcase bag that mine goes in...I'm not going to fit anything to the side of a smaller footprint, but I can sure as hell fit in some more folders or even a textbook beside the thin MacBook Air...

Petrogk
Feb 3, 2008, 09:30 PM

IT IS NOT ULTA PORTABLE!

Have you ever carried around a laptop...what do you carry it in...A PURSE!
I like most/every human being on this planet carry it in a briefcase with files or a backpack with books!
What good does a 1.2'' thick 11'' screened laptop do me in a bag that would fit a 13'' screen?
Why not a 13'' MBA that weighs the same as that 11 incher AND is 3/4'' thick actually giving me more room in my bag?
Anyone who ever carried around a bag full of books with his laptop knows it's the thickness that matters! Your bag fits it anyway!

Jesus! What world do all of you live in? IT IS AN ULTRAPORTABLE...and about time someone made an ultraportable I can have fun using for 5 hours a day!
I'd really like to hear what why this isn't an ultraportable...How exactly is something with a smaller/footprint screen more portable?
Seriously?

EDIT: Why the heck do you need a smaller footprint? What kind of space do you work in...don't tell me you can't fit it on an airplane tray table b/c that's a blatant lie...

bearwise
Feb 3, 2008, 09:41 PM

It will fail.

um the last time i looked the space occupied was a volume and the Air is about 88 in^3 and the TZ is about 99 in^3 (approximation based on thickest height and the footprint), so the space occupied isn't different....
I bought one and love it, so I don't really need your pity...

ZiggyPastorius
Feb 3, 2008, 09:41 PM
Up until this page of the thread, I was so worried people ignored the Sony link completely. COME ON, PEOPLE! People have different definitions of different things. If you want an "ultra-portable" with a smaller screen and footprint, get one, if you want one that's lighter-weight and thinner, get one. People say the Air is so over-priced and stuff, but, even if the Vaio TZ is not the exact same type of computer, it's specs are WAY WAY WAY below what the MBA's are. This is what the MBA is technically "in competition" with. With that in mind, how do you even justify saying that? Even if you find the rare cases of similar computers ("ultraportables") that are cheaper, they're not like $400 or even like $900 computers. They're usually around $16-1800, very close to the Air. The Air is not a computer for me, either, but I don't think it's dumb. Not in the least bit.

Sony Vaio TZ: Macbook Air:

1.33Ghz 1.6 or 1.8Ghz
3 Lbs. 3 Lbs.
11.1" Screen 13.(6?)" Screen
?" Thick .75" Thin
$2,200-$3,700 $1799-$3100

Whoopie.

robrose20
Feb 3, 2008, 09:43 PM
Being so thin kind of makes it smaller and occupy less space...

Like I said before, I don't know what kind of bag you put your laptop in, but the briefcase bag that mine goes in...I'm not going to fit anything to the side of a smaller footprint, but I can sure as hell fit in some more folders or even a textbook beside the thin MacBook Air...

It occupies less "volume" ... hmmm ... lets measure the portability of a computer based on the amount of space is occupies in the universe.

This computer is garbage... It is not ultra-portable, it is crippled with respect to connectivity, I laugh at all the threads on "how to save hard drive space", the battery is not user replaceable, the ram is soldered on the motherboard, it is complete junk.

People buy this garbage just because it comes from Apple... Wake up and smell the coffee, a year from now you will all own $3000.00 doorstops ... its the perfect "thinness" to use to prop open a door.

Wait and see!!!

diabolic
Feb 3, 2008, 09:45 PM
As long as it does what I need, I couldn't care less how well it sells. I think I'll buy a second one for my wife.

Petrogk
Feb 3, 2008, 09:47 PM
Rob, can you please read my post and respond.

I would love to know how the MBA is not an ultraportable? Define the term. How is 11'' more portable the 13''?

pondie84
Feb 3, 2008, 09:48 PM
It occupies less "volume" ... hmmm ... lets measure the portability of a computer based on the amount of space is occupies in the universe.

This computer is garbage... It is not ultra-portable, it is crippled with respect to connectivity, I laugh at all the threads on "how to save hard drive space", the battery is not user replaceable, the ram is soldered on the motherboard, it is complete junk.

People buy this garbage just because it comes from Apple... Wake up and smell the coffee, a year from now you will all own $3000.00 doorstops ... its the perfect "thinness" to use to prop open a door.

Wait and see!!!

Really, I think everyone gets your point now. All these doom and gloom predictions... just don't buy one! Does it really matter if other people do?

ubercool
Feb 3, 2008, 09:50 PM
Oh The AIR is not "Portable" now??? Okay, now you are just being ridiculous. Any notebook is portable, you just hate the AIR, well good Apple doesn't need YOU as a customer for it, you'd drive them nuts with whining phone calls.

HLdan, ignore cenetti, robrose20 and Sweetbike40. They're all flamers who are just trying to incite a polemic battle and don't have the decency or courtesy to respect other Mac users' opinions. :o

robrose20
Feb 3, 2008, 09:59 PM
HLdan, ignore cenetti, robrose20 and Sweetbike40. They're all flamers who are just trying to incite a polemic battle and don't have the decency or courtesy to respect other Mac users' opinions. :o

I am definitely not a flamer. What I am is upset. When the product was first introduced I expressed my opinion that I didn't like it, and I thought it was a bad design. I did this to spark conversation and discussion. What I got was a cult like response by many members of this forum because I have gone against the all mighty Steve Jobs and Apple Computer.

What I have found is that if you do not like something apple produces you get flamed by people for expressing an opinion. That is just plain wrong and stupid.

Its amazing how cultish Apple users have become in recent years. I have used Apple products my entire adult life. I have even made quite a bit of money in Apple Stock. I love the company and think Steve Jobs is a great innovator. When someone thinks one of their products is not that great they get attacked by the Apple zombies ....

Its a shame.

Anderson3133
Feb 3, 2008, 10:04 PM
I agree completely the macbook air has only one advantage over the macbook.... it is thinner. To me this is hardly enough of an advantage to outweigh all the disadvantages that come with owning it over a macbook.

I dont get why people are so ignorant to other products within the Macbook Airs Niche market. The Macbook Air within it's own niche market is quite cheap actually, especially for the screen size, thinness, and hard drive space/speed. Obviously if you think this thing is way too pricey it's not a product "geared" towards you. So don't worry about it, and just buy a macbook. No offence of course. :rolleyes:

MazingerZ
Feb 3, 2008, 10:04 PM
I am definitely not a flamer. What I am is upset. When the product was first introduced I expressed my opinion that I didn't like it, and I thought it was a bad design. I did this to spark conversation and discussion. What I got was a cult like response by many members of this forum because I have gone against the all mighty Steve Jobs and Apple Computer.

What I have found is that if you do not like something apple produces you get flamed by people for expressing an opinion. That is just plain wrong and stupid.

Its amazing how cultish Apple users have become in recent years. I have used Apple products my entire adult life. I have even made quite a bit of money in Apple Stock. I love the company and think Steve Jobs is a great innovator. When someone thinks one of their products is not that great they get attacked by the Apple zombies ....

Its a shame.

You should also realize that people have different needs than you and that your opinion is just that, an opinion. Move on man...its only a computer.

Anderson3133
Feb 3, 2008, 10:07 PM

Its a shame.

Man, you are in an Apple forum. EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN.

Sweetbike40
Feb 3, 2008, 10:10 PM

excuse me? But I have NOT disrespected any opinions here. If anything my opinion is completely disrespected by a few people.

kuwisdelu
Feb 3, 2008, 10:14 PM

I disagree with you, yet I haven't flamed you. I'm not buying the MacBook Air, yet I see how it is a good computer for many people. I have no problem that there are many people who would much prefer a smaller footprint and they have their reasons for wanting that, yet you seem completely unable to comprehend that there are people for whom thinness is a priority and much more important to portability than footprint.

I have no problem at all with someone expressing an opinion, but any reasonable person with an opinion should respect the opinions of others. Most of us certainly respect that the MacBook Air doesn't fit your needs, yet you seem to have a problem respecting that it does fit others' needs.

cedar
Feb 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
excuse me? But I have NOT disrespected any opinions here. If anything my opinion is completely disrespected by a few people.

I get your point. Over and over and over. Get a life and move on.

instant hit
Feb 3, 2008, 10:23 PM
Man, you are in an Apple forum. EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN.

+1.

another thing: this is a MacBook Air SUB-FORUM. expect a few owners and enthusiasts to be a little enraged with these threads.

HLdan
Feb 3, 2008, 10:31 PM

Its a shame.

There's no real reason for you to be upset. I mean, why?? You didn't need to voice your opinion about the AIR because NO ONE ASKED FOR YOUR OPINION.
There are people on this forum who are cheerfully purchasing the AIR and there are people on this forum who have an interest in this product.
Your opinion is negative so how are YOU helping anyone? If you feel your negative opinion is going to help people who are considering the AIR then you are basically calling people stupid as if they cannot see for themselves the capabilities of this product.
Negativity helps no one and you are a negative person, period!
Don't call people cult members here, you have no just cause. Just because we are not interested in your negative attitude doesn't make people part of a cult.
If someone buys the AIR why do you care? Post in forums on products you actually "LIKE", there's no point in posting about products you DON'T like.

takeabyteoutta
Feb 3, 2008, 10:33 PM
1. MBA offers exceptional battery life for it's size as well.

2. All those people saying this computer is underpowered... for it's price, yes, it is, but for it would actually be used for... aka taking notes in class, meetings, surfing the web, watching movies on the go (aka bus, train, planes)... it's overpowered. It's just a same Apple and Intel didn't put together a 45 nm chip with all that special customization as the 65nm they built. Also, with a student discount, this things around $1600, which isn't too shabby for a 4 year college computer. Also, the 2 GB standard memory signifigantly makes up for the undersized processor. Obviously, this computer isn't aimed at comp. sci majors.

But I imagine come July and August, when people with bigger wallets or just a craving to have their hands on this sexy lady, Apple will pump out a $1300 aimed specifically at college students majoring in communications, eng. lit and just about any non-engineering based major.

uber gorilla
Feb 3, 2008, 11:15 PM
The MBA is hot to trot. End of story. Good night. Praised be Jebus. Amen.

pesc
Feb 4, 2008, 12:31 AM
Rob, can you please read my post and respond.

I would love to know how the MBA is not an ultraportable? Define the term. How is 11'' more portable the 13''?

Here's my take: :)

http://mbp12.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9

A favourite trick is in long crowded economy class flights where i can fit both the computer and the finished food tray on the table. It can literally take hours before the staff cleans the table for you. People with large footprint laptops just have to wait.

I appreciate the argument that people pack it in a bag together with a stack of paper so footprint won't matter to them. I just thought about it. I rarely have any papers or books in my backpack. I have it all in the computer. So footprint matters more to me.

fluidedge
Feb 4, 2008, 03:00 AM
watching movies on the go (aka bus, train, planes)...

So i'm on an airplane and hey, i think i'll just watch a movie on my new MBA - i'll just put the DVD in the drive...oooh, uuuuh...damn.

(Response - you should have ripped the movie on another computer and transfered it to the MBA.

My Response - well you know what life is just too short sometimes, and I cant afford the space on my small hard drive to have a few movies on there all the time for when i just want to watch one.)

fluidedge
Feb 4, 2008, 03:02 AM
Here's my take: :)

http://mbp12.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9

A favourite trick is in long crowded economy class flights where i can fit both the computer and the finished food tray on the table. It can literally take hours before the staff cleans the table for you. People with large footprint laptops just have to wait.

I appreciate the argument that people pack it in a bag together with a stack of paper so footprint won't matter to them. I just thought about it. I rarely have any papers or books in my backpack. I have it all in the computer. So footprint matters more to me.

my fav trick is to put the tray on the floor by my feet! And just give it to them when they come to collect it. You'd be surprised how much room there is down there!

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 04:00 AM
1. MBA offers exceptional battery life for it's size as well.

2. All those people saying this computer is underpowered... for it's price, yes, it is, but for it would actually be used for... aka taking notes in class, meetings, surfing the web, watching movies on the go (aka bus, train, planes)... it's overpowered. It's just a same Apple and Intel didn't put together a 45 nm chip with all that special customization as the 65nm they built. Also, with a student discount, this things around $1600, which isn't too shabby for a 4 year college computer. Also, the 2 GB standard memory signifigantly makes up for the undersized processor. Obviously, this computer isn't aimed at comp. sci majors.

But I imagine come July and August, when people with bigger wallets or just a craving to have their hands on this sexy lady, Apple will pump out a $1300 aimed specifically at college students majoring in communications, eng. lit and just about any non-engineering based major.

Check out this list:

http://tech.msn.com/products/Top5UltraportableLaptops.aspx

I don't think the Air is underpowered at all, and reasonably priced, too.

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 04:01 AM
So i'm on an airplane and hey, i think i'll just watch a movie on my new MBA - i'll just put the DVD in the drive...oooh, uuuuh...damn.

(Response - you should have ripped the movie on another computer and transfered it to the MBA.

My Response - well you know what life is just too short sometimes, and I cant afford the space on my small hard drive to have a few movies on there all the time for when i just want to watch one.)

So why not buy a dirt cheap usb thumb drive? I got a 16 gig thumb drive 6 months ago for 145 bucks, brand spankin new from eBay. that's alot of movies.

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 04:03 AM

IT IS NOT ULTA PORTABLE!

The base model for the Air is not three thousand.

pesc
Feb 4, 2008, 04:14 AM
my fav trick is to put the tray on the floor by my feet! And just give it to them when they come to collect it. You'd be surprised how much room there is down there!

I used to do that. The problem is I'm always occupied by something else when the cabin personell dashes by and I forget it. And after a while i have my feet in half-eaten food scraps.

Been there, done that. :D

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 04:16 AM
Sometimes I get preoccupied by the flight attendants themselves. Some of them are HOT. :)

ROBARMY
Feb 4, 2008, 05:06 AM

Look who does not have the decency or courtesy to respect others opinions.... LOOK IN THE MIRROR!

I just got my Macbook Air Friday in South Seattle, Wa. and Love it along with my iphone 8GB, 20" imac for the family, Apple TV, Airport Extreme, and my 2.2 3GB RAM MBP 15" bought just months ago.

I fell in love with Apple and all of it's great products this last Summer after picking up the iPhone and learning so much from ALL of these great Apple Forums and most of the decent mature Apple users... But It's hard to read some of this hate from some very young and in-mature people on this web site. If a guy/gal leaves a quote saying they do not like the new product have some of that respect your talking about and take their opinion for what it is... an OPINION and leave it at that!!!

kuwisdelu
Feb 4, 2008, 06:59 AM

Glad to have our argument finally be appreciated by someone in the footprint camp :D

I appreciate your argument, too, and I can certainly see why you'd need that. I've heard plenty of arguments from people in other threads who need a smaller footprint that make perfect sense, like photographers and cameramen who need the space beside their computer for lenses and such. It's just all these people who don't realize there are valid reasons to need both kinds of machines that get to me. I've never been in a situation where I've needed a small footprint, but I see where you're coming from.

I definitely hope you get your 12" MacBook Pro soon :)

Petrogk
Feb 4, 2008, 07:07 AM
Glad to have our argument finally be appreciated by someone in the footprint camp :D

I appreciate your argument, too, and I can certainly see why you'd need that. I've heard plenty of arguments from people in other threads who need a smaller footprint that make perfect sense, like photographers and cameramen who need the space beside their computer for lenses and such. It's just all these people who don't realize there are valid reasons to need both kinds of machines that get to me. I've never been in a situation where I've needed a small footprint, but I see where you're coming from.

I definitely hope you get your 12" MacBook Pro soon :)

No offence to other people and all, but I'm an amateur photog and having a thicker laptop with a smaller footprint doesn't help me save any more space then a thin one.
My lenses and body are all damn thick and take up tons of space themselves. Personally my camera bag has a laptop sleeve built in so thickness does matter...kinda...and footprint doesn't
But if it didn't have a sleeve I'd have to say volume matters.
Maybe their gear is really different from mine. ( I can't see how)

kuwisdelu
Feb 4, 2008, 07:16 AM
No offence to other people and all, but I'm an amateur photog and having a thicker laptop with a smaller footprint doesn't help me save any more space then a thin one.
My lenses and body are all damn thick and take up tons of space themselves. Personally my camera bag has a laptop sleeve built in so thickness does matter...kinda...and footprint doesn't
But if it didn't have a sleeve I'd have to say volume matters.
Maybe their gear is really different from mine. ( I can't see how)

I have no idea. Perhaps they have a really different bag or have very different gear? Personally, I wasn't sure how it would help either; it was just an argument someone in another thread presented me with as per their own use. If he's lurking around here somewhere, maybe hell drop in and enlighten us...

doug1tx
Feb 4, 2008, 07:27 AM
I so rarely chime in on such threads but it's been a long week of waiting for my MBA so I'm just bored :-)

I'm trying so hard to come up with a solution for the "footprint camp"...

I'm thinking since it's all about the footprint then perhaps Apple could produce a Mac Mini with a built in monitor & keyboard on the top, similar to an iPhone. I know typing would be a chore but it would keep the footprint down.

A second thought is to buy an iMac and one of those really nice carrying cases that are available for travel. I know it's a little heavy but this would address those who need more power and the iMac only has a footprint of about 6x8 inches, smaller that most ultra-portables I've seen.

Ok seriously, as if anyone cares what my opinion is...I think the Air is a great first attempt on Apple's part to change the way mobile users think. I agree with many who have stated that the Air will be a secondary computer for them. For years I have used a 17" PB or MBP for my work. In recent months I have spent more and more time working in my home office on a G5 or MP and the 17" has gotten less & less use. Had the Air not come out when it did I would likely have purchased a MB simply due to size & weight. I'm tired of carrying a 15+ pound bag with me all day when I rarely even pull it out any more. I'd much rather carry a 5 pound bag and have something that'll work for what I need when I need it.

As for power, storage, etc...I work in IT and aside from those of us in forums such as this you'd be surprised how many people are still getting their work done on >1GHz machines with 256MB or 512MB of ram & 20GB hard drives. How on earth do they do it??? :-)

fluidedge
Feb 4, 2008, 07:58 AM
thats exactly what the air is in my opinion - a concept design, that would normally not be released, but apple said, hey what the heck - lets get it out there and see what people think.

They want to gage the reaction to:

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

they could then look at the feedback from this one and incorporate it into future products.

It's also a message by apple to the industry (sony) saying - look what we can do, look how far ahead we can go if we want to. We've got the cash to waste on products like this, just imagine what we'll do when we put our minds to it!

I don't expect the MBA to be around for too long actually - not becuase it'll be a failure, but because it is more of a test product that will be quickly superceeded once apple feel like updating the whole concept of laptop computing.

my $0.02 anyway

bearwise
Feb 4, 2008, 08:12 AM

Its a shame.

Not a flamer??? The air meets my needs and not yours, that makes you a sage and me a zombie? You say you are stating your opinion to spark conversation then slam anyone who disagrees with you. SOUnds like a flamer to me

pesc
Feb 4, 2008, 08:29 AM
thats exactly what the air is in my opinion - a concept design, that would normally not be released, but apple said, hey what the heck - lets get it out there and see what people think.

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

- snip -

I don't expect the MBA to be around for too long actually - not becuase it'll be a failure, but because it is more of a test product that will be quickly superceeded once apple feel like updating the whole concept of laptop computing.

my $0.02 anyway

I fully agree. The MBA is a fresh start where everything is cut back to a minimum (except footprint, grumble, grumble).

Now when MBA hits reality it is possible to study what the real problems are (if any). And try to invent novel techniques for solving those problems, such as the remote optical drive. And I'm sure the MBA will spur other inventions. More wireless stuff instead of USB perhaps?

The MBA is a little too much bleeding edge for me right now, but in two years it might have developed into the perfect machine.

Catch
Feb 4, 2008, 08:37 AM

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

they could then look at the feedback from this one and incorporate it into future products.

It's also a message by apple to the industry (sony) saying - look what we can do, look how far ahead we can go if we want to. We've got the cash to waste on products like this, just imagine what we'll do when we put our minds to it!

my $0.02 anyway

No company in their right mind would just throw something out there on a whim to see if it succeeds or fails. I disagree with pretty much every point you have made so far, but this post takes the biscuit!

The MBA will be around for a long time in my opinion. It was the No1 selling product yesterday (have not checked today), with the MB at No3. The interest in this machine is huge.

Just about everybody I have spoken to today will be having a look at this machine once Regent Street has them on display. Thats Mac users AND PC users.

Obviously, Apple will filter new technologies down/up the product line. Thats to be expected of any company worth its salt...

Regards,

C

fluidedge
Feb 4, 2008, 08:43 AM
i think apple are looking closely at how people cope without CD drives too - that could set a precedent for future (5-7 years) laptops.

with pen drives getting as big as they are, i wouldn't be surprised to start seeing movies and software released on a 2GB/4GB stick (should give good quality) in a few years.

That only leaves disks being used for backup/storage which as files get bigger becomes less of an issue as we all use stick drives now.

That maybe why apple is not bothering with the blu-ray thing, as they know that in 10 years it'll all be forgotten and we'll be worrying about which codec to use rather than what media.

fluidedge
Feb 4, 2008, 08:45 AM
It was the No1 selling product yesterday (have not checked today), with the MB at No3.

you actually think those 'rankings' are true? lol!

apple's biggest seller online is certianly NOT the MBA, i will stake a very large wager on that.

Apple shift more ipods in a day than they'll move MBAs in a month.

Catch
Feb 4, 2008, 08:52 AM
Apple shift more ipods in a day than they'll move MBAs in a month.

I won't enter into a conspiracy debate with you, but I think Apple are selling a boatload of these things... ALLOT of people have been holding out for an ultra-portable Mac.

It is down as the No1 seller again today under Mac sales ;)

C

Roba
Feb 4, 2008, 08:53 AM
Sony already produced a pretty similar computer in terms of thinness about 4 years ago. It seems to me that Sony may have already been there and done that. SSD drives in ultraportables have been around for a little while now. The majority of these notebooks are also pretty thin and some are lighter than the MBA but they also offer more in functionality as well.

I will be interested to see the future revisions of the MBA if it does survive.

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

my $0.02 anyway

Catch
Feb 4, 2008, 08:55 AM
i think apple are looking closely at how people cope without CD drives too - that could set a precedent for future (5-7 years) laptops.

with pen drives getting as big as they are, i wouldn't be surprised to start seeing movies and software released on a 2GB/4GB stick (should give good quality) in a few years.

That only leaves disks being used for backup/storage which as files get bigger becomes less of an issue as we all use stick drives now.

That maybe why apple is not bothering with the blu-ray thing, as they know that in 10 years it'll all be forgotten and we'll be worrying about which codec to use rather than what media.

Although I agree with some of your points here, I think you need to realize that 10 years is a huge time frame in computing.

The DVD will go the way of the Floppy, I think thats a given; the question is how long it will take?

Regards,

C

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 09:03 AM
Sony already produced a pretty similar computer in terms of thinness about 4 years ago. It seems to me that Sony may have already been there and done that. SSD drives in ultraportables have been around for a little while now. The majority of these notebooks are also pretty thin and some are lighter than the MBA but they also offer more in functionality as well.

I will be interested to see the future revisions of the MBA if it does survive.

I can think of another four-letter-word that starts with "S" and is synomous with Sony............. :)

fluidedge
Feb 4, 2008, 09:30 AM
I can think of another four-letter-word that starts with "S" and is synomous with Sony............. :)

"Silly" had got 5 letters in it - you silly billy.

SteveSparks
Feb 4, 2008, 09:42 AM
This issue has been beaten into the ground, stomped on, buried and then dug up and beaten more.

Lets think of something new to talk about rather than why You/Them/Those People/Someone I know... won't get a MacBook Air, and why people who get the must be too rich.

ctt1wbw
Feb 4, 2008, 09:46 AM
"Silly" had got 5 letters in it - you silly billy.

:D Nah, I was think of a word that rhymes with pit, sit, get, lit...

You're talking to someone who thinks that everything sony makes is crap. Same with JVC, Toshiba...

bearwise
Feb 4, 2008, 09:56 AM

oh my gosh, we agree on something! I think you are right, that disks are on the way out and flash drives on the way in. By the end of 2008 64gb SSD's will be less that $200, with much larger capacities available. We are aleady seeing $100 16gb flash drives, soon 32gb will be at that price point

fluidedge
Feb 4, 2008, 10:05 AM
You're talking to someone who thinks that everything sony makes is crap.

Hmmmm, i think the entire broadcast media community might disagree with you there.

It has to be said, a lot (most?) of Sony's business comes from very high valued products you've probably never heard of, or wouldn't have the first idea how to even switch on, let alone use them, if you saw them.

Sony make incredibly high quality products, just perhaps not the products you use.

butterfly0fdoom
Feb 4, 2008, 12:13 PM
The footprint is barely any larger than the MacBook's. I don't think you're going to notice the extra .01" on all four sides in daily usage. The footprint argument is really being overblown.

As for Sony, their products aren't exactly of the highest quality. They were, but they've declined. Their Vaio lineup is far from being the best in class, too.