PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime Stream of MWSF 2008 Keynote

MacRumors
Jan 15, 2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote/) the a Quicktime stream of todays Keynote event:Watch Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveil Apple's latest innovations at the Macworld 2008 Conference in San Francisco, California. See the video-on-demand event right here, exclusively in QuickTime and MPEG-4.
Apple released a number of new products including

- MacBook Air (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-macbook-air/)
- iTunes Movie Rentals (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-appletv-take-2-price-drop/>Major Apple TV update[/url]
- [url="http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-itunes-movie-rentals/)
- iPod Touch software update (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-ipod-touch-software-update/) - with 4 new applications
- iPhone Software Update (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-iphone-software-update-and-sdk-release-date/)
- Time Capsule (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/apple-announces-time-capsule/)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/15/quicktime-stream-of-mwsf-2008-keynote/)

iCantwait
Jan 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
iPhone apps on the iPod touch cost!!!

MrT8064
Jan 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
Please can we have a download link!!

HornetOSX
Watching now :D

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/event/index.html?internal=fj2l3s9dm

rediffusion
is it available as a ipod compatible video?

mainstreetmark
iPhone apps on the iPod touch cost!!!

It might be that SOX law. I seem to recall that when the updater for 802.11n came out, they had to charge everyone $5.

Of course, it could also be them wanting to make money on all the people that'll go to the Touch now, for the equivalent functionality (sans Phone)

edit:
hey Mac vs PC: what about Office 08?

Flight102280
Jan 15, 2008, 04:42 PM
I want a apple tv even more now after seeing this, but wish they would steal sling boxes idea and incoporate that to apple tv, even make a deal with networks to stream a few tv channels (with commercials) by passing the dish etc. and the price drop is awesome!!!!!!!!

The iphone still has alot to be desired still no ichat or video cam but im happy till feb.

i wouldnt rent movies unless there was a monthly fee and unlimited rentals ala
netflix, even blockbuster has something like that, i guess apple has to build up to that?

The airport extreme is awesome!!! and the price is great, jus gotta save up a lil more for my pockets

The macbook air is nice... but... i wanna new mac book pro with blue ray, and 4 gb ram and 3.0 ghz speed to one up all the windows books out there!!!

but overall I am happy, wish apple knew there were soooo many spoilers out there and threw a few more curveballs but again i am happy... for now

katanna
Jan 15, 2008, 04:43 PM
Why did it take you so long to post this? I am already done watching it! lol

Matthew

Lonon
Jan 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
Watching now :D

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/event/index.html?internal=fj2l3s9dm

I can't. :(

Quicktime gives me a "Disconnected" message.

tveric
Jan 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
hey Mac vs PC: what about Office 08?

i'm installing Office 2008 as we speak.

mrisoldi
Jan 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
I hate that the stream is not compatible with my ipod touch. They are Apple after all!

bertpalmer
Jan 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
The link isn't clickable for me - this sucks!

Actually it works in internet explorer - not firefox!

Great...

puckhead193
Jan 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
why is it soooo tiny... it looks like crap in full screan :(

Eric Lewis
Jan 15, 2008, 04:59 PM
download this somehow?

jnc
Jan 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
This keynote just left me jonesing for a new MBP and ACD. Think they'll leave it until WWDC??

kissmyaxe
Jan 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
Steve made a bunch of speaking mistakes haha

Littleodie914
Jan 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
I can't. :(

Quicktime gives me a "Disconnected" message.I'm getting the same error, after about 5 minutes of Quicktime trying to load the feed. :mad:

ziggyonice
Jan 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
I LOVE Lag.....

/sarcasm

Lonon
Jan 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
The link isn't clickable for me - this sucks!

Actually it works in internet explorer - not firefox!

Great...

It is opening for me in Firefox but not IE. Anyway, it doesn't load anything at it really is very tiny.

Is there a podcast of this yet?

twoodcc
Jan 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
i think i'll try to watch it a little later, since there will be lag right now

MrCrowbar
Jan 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
i think i'll try to watch it a little later, since there will be lag right now

no lag here, playing fine.

psychofreak
Jan 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
Steve made a bunch of speaking mistakes haha

He has to speak for over an hour, it can't be easy to get everything right...

chubad
Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
If you can wait I'm sure it will be on iTunes as a Podcast in the next day or so. I doubt I'll even watch. Seemed really bland this year.

Doctor Q
Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
Steve made a bunch of speaking mistakes hahaHearing him say "Tiger" when he meant "Leopard" was a surprise, since back at Apple Steve and the R&D department are probably already using the successor to Leopard.

CHSE
Jan 15, 2008, 05:21 PM
LOL! He made 2 typers in a sms saying 'Hi' - the iphone keyboard is great!

juanm
Jan 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
Hearing him say "Tiger" when he meant "Leopard" was a surprise, since back at Apple Steve and the R&D department are probably already using the successor to Leopard.

You mean they're probably working on it. It's probably a little early to have a fully working version of Lion.

darthraige
Jan 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
Wish he had a "One more thing" thing. lol

GoodWatch
Jan 15, 2008, 05:28 PM
He could at least have bought a pair of jeans that actually fits :cool:

true777
Jan 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
Probably the lamest keynote since the one about 10 years ago where he had NO new hardware to announce.

weg
Jan 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
Watch Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveil Apple's latest innovations at the

Innovations? Where?

InSaNeCyAnUr
Jan 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
They really like small things

First the Macbook Air
Now the size of the Keynote

It's so small...and it's a complete lagfest

I think I'll wait and watch in in the middle of the night, as there might not be as much people as now.

I did read the live post from MacRumors and I have to say that I'm really disappointed. Where the hell is my new MBP ?!?!?!

shuffles
Jan 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hey,
i found this on the net but dont know if its true, apparently at the final cut meeting tomorrow apple are gonna be announcing something new as well. He says that cuz its a meeting for pros, it will likely be a new pro product or something??? Im prob wrong but u never know.

Heres the address of the site:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/02/apple_presenting_secret_at_final_cut_meet_radiohead_on_itunes.html

paola105
Jan 15, 2008, 06:12 PM
The link doesn't work for me. I have to listen to the voice over. Bummer.

RevToTheRedline
Jan 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
This streaming crap is stupid, granted I only have a 3Mb D/900Kb U connection I can't even watch this low res streaming keynote video, where is the 480p download common.

will99
Jan 15, 2008, 06:23 PM
Nothing really surprising today. I wouldn't pay money for a film for only 24 hours. Not feasible for working people to always be able to watch a film within a single day. Most places now rent for two nights. If you have kids, good luck trying to get them to always watch a full movie in one sitting.

iTunes needs to better reflect the reality of how people actually watch movies.

mainstreetmark
Jan 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
This streaming crap is stupid, granted I only have a 3Mb D/900Kb U connection I can't even watch this low res streaming keynote video, where is the 480p download common.

Um, because ten hundred million people are simultaneously trying to as well?

redison
Jan 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
Steves Keynote was awesome, a change from last year when all the attention was on the iPhone.

YoGramMamma
Jan 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
Umm.. I'm pretty sure (but boy do I hope I'm wrong) that you can only rent HD movies thru the AppleTV.

1) ive been looking on itunes for a bit now where to actually rent movies from, and the ones he demoed on stage I couldnt even seem to find.

2). i watched the keynote, and every reference to renting HD was done in the appleTV segment.

if this is the case, this could royally suck as I have a perfectly capable mac mini plugged into my HDTV right now, awaiting some rental love.

mrwizardno2
Jan 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
Nothing really surprising today. I wouldn't pay money for a film for only 24 hours. Not feasible for working people to always be able to watch a film within a single day. Most places now rent for two nights. If you have kids, good luck trying to get them to always watch a full movie in one sitting.

Oh man, I'd never let the kids touch the thing, can you imagine the damage they could do? yikes!

aznkid25
Jan 15, 2008, 06:28 PM
For some reason, the quicktime stream is not working for me. Does anyone have a different link where I can get it? Thanks.

crap freakboy
Jan 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
He could at least have bought a pair of jeans that actually fits :cool:

Good Keynote imo, however the heavyweight jeans and top.:(
Seems to me intentional disguising of how thin he was. It could simply be old age/lifestyle related, and I really hope thats all it is.

What the hell was that song at the end....?? Odd.

diamond3
Jan 15, 2008, 06:42 PM
Did no one else notice this was already on apples website earlier in the day. I started watching it at around 12 pm pacific. I had to search a while but it was there.

mcarnes
Jan 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
It was a good keynote. As good as any other. Same whiners afterwards. Yawn.

Apple will up the resolution of the keynote stream in a few days, once the traffic dies down. That's what they've always done in the past.

Lonon
Jan 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
Where the hell is my new MBP ?!?!?!

Please, people, do the homework, and lessen:

Macworld.: CONSUMER show. No Mac Pros, no Macbook Pros.
WWDC: PRO show. No iMacs, no Macbooks, no iWork update, no iPods.

And, for the love of God:

September media events: iPods and iTunes. No Macs, no potables, no Mac Pro update. No iLife update.

Get it already? There is a schedule. Stay with it.

elppa
Jan 15, 2008, 06:49 PM
I just managed to watch the whole keynote through without any pausing.

I watched it 2x magnified. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. Certainly on a par with the majority of YouTube videos I've seen.

jshapnyc
Jan 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
I've had a problem, as long as I've had my macbook, of not being able to see Apple Keynote streams from apple.com. I just tried the same on my girlfriend's Rev B MB (mine is Rev C) and no dice. Have deleted a couple of .com files and run QT in Rosetta. Still I just get the sliding orb bar and a low-res Q forever.

Can someone please help?

edibiase
Jan 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Looking through the contents of the reference movie provided, I found the iPhone version of the keynote, which you can download from Apple as a self-contained MP4 (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/iphone/972345688g_1_ip.mp4).

RHD
Jan 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hey,
i found this on the net but dont know if its true, apparently at the final cut meeting tomorrow apple are gonna be announcing something new as well. He says that cuz its a meeting for pros, it will likely be a new pro product or something??? Im prob wrong but u never know.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/02/apple_presenting_secret_at_final_cut_meet_radiohead_on_itunes.html

Well, we can but hope!

deathshrub
Jan 15, 2008, 07:06 PM
WWDC: PRO show. No iMacs, no Macbooks, no iWork update, no iPods.

Thanks for treating everybody as if they were retarded. No Mac Pros at MWSF? Right, they just updated it a week before.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Orng
Jan 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
Every time I see or hear the name Randy Newman, I think of that episode of Family Guy where Randy Newman is sitting at his piano under an apple tree, singing what he sees: "Red-headed lady, reachin' for an apple..." (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8408662729738806196&q=Family+Guy+Randy+Newman&total=18&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5) "Fat man with his family and dog..."

I guess it's time to get an iPod Touch. Well, I'll give my local reseller a few weeks to get the upgraded version on the shelves.

Glad I didn't buy one after Xmas!

Anything I would try to do with a desktop + MacBook Air, I can accomplish with a desktop + iPod Touch with Mail. So I'm pretty happy with that arrangement.

Now I just have to see if I can channel the power of the Reality Distortion Field to convince my wife that we need an :apple:TV. I wouldn't have considered it before.

You'd think she'd prefer :apple:TV to the rabbit ears, but she's not biting!
We have an aversion to paying monthly fees for TV, but don't mind renting/buying DVDs; :apple:TV with the upgrades seems like a perfect fit for us.

rstansby
Jan 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
At about 4 minutes he calls the current mac OS tiger instead of Leopard. Pretty minor mistake...

David G.
Jan 15, 2008, 07:09 PM
I just managed to watch the whole keynote through without any pausing... Certainly on a par with the majority of YouTube videos I've seen.

I live in Alaska and we have some darn slow internet up here.:( I had to restart it about two times and there were a few times that I had to resync the video and the audio together by pausing it, but on the whole it had a much nicer quality than pretty much all of the youtube videos I've ever seen. With that said, watching how fast the HD videos downloaded during the Apple TV portion of the keynote, is that even possible? The download progress bar just SCREAMED(I really want to emphasize that) across the screen.:eek: If it is possible, all of you who complain about internet speeds being slow compared to places like Japan and whatnot should come up here and suffer.:D

Wow that was fast!

redison
Jan 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
Steves Keynote was awesome, a change from last year when all the attention was on the iPhone.
Reminds me of 2004 and 2003 and 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However:

In the keynote ? He looks thin, (his face) your Impressions:?

Lonon
Jan 15, 2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for treating everybody as if they were retarded. No Mac Pros at MWSF? Right, they just updated it a week before.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A week before is not Macworld.
And about the retarded commentary... never mind.

heffeque
Jan 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
Wish he had a "One more thing" thing. lol
The "One more thing" was probably going to be a MBP update but... after reading THIS (http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/intel-experiencing-worldwide-penryn-delays/) I knew that there would be no "On more thing" about the MBP :(

neski
Jan 15, 2008, 07:39 PM
how can you have 100 Negatives to a keynote what a joke.

EricNau
Jan 15, 2008, 07:45 PM
Very good keynote - it played beautifully. I especially enjoyed Randy Newman. :D

Baron58
Jan 15, 2008, 07:46 PM

<sigh>

You have THIRTY (30) DAYS to start watching the movie. Once you start it, though, you have to finish it within 24 hours. Not a problem for me, since I watch movies straight through, not 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.

jaw04005
It might be that SOX law. I seem to recall that when the updater for 802.11n came out, they had to charge everyone $5.

The Sarbanes-Oxley Act is the reason they are charging for the "update." iPod Touch revenue is not accounted for under the subscription accounting model—only the Apple TV and iPhone (so far) are.

However, it's not the reason they are charging $20. The Act doesn't require a minimum amount, estimated value or even a percentage of estimated value. Therefore, Apple could have released the update package for $1.99 if they wanted.

The reason they're charging is because Apple wants to differentiate between the iPod Touch and iPhone product lines, and because additional revenue is not received from the iPod Touch like the iPhone.

If the update was free, iPhone revenue sharing from AT&T would be subsidizing iPod Touch development.

iPod Touch owners should take note. Apple has NEVER provided substantial feature updates to the iPod line even when the hardware/software was compatible—just take a look at the 5G and 5.5G iPod's.

You might consider it a blessing that they are continuing to update the the software, as they never promised you they would and haven't in the past.

After all, did you actually purchase your iPod Touch because you knew six months later Apple would provide you with a software update? No.

mozmac
Funny....I couldn't get to the Keynote video in Safari on my Mac but I could through Firefox. Now that just seems wrong.

mozmac
Jan 15, 2008, 07:48 PM
iPod Touch owners should take note. Apple has NEVER provided substantial feature updates to the iPod line even when the hardware/software was compatible—just take a look at the 5G and 5.5G iPod's.

You might consider it a blessing that they are continuing to update the the software, as they never promised you they would and haven't in the past.

After all, did you actually purchase your iPod Touch because you knew six months later Apple would provide you with a software update? No.

I agree. We have gotten used to getting free software from Apple. We just expect them to hook us up with every new innovation that comes our way. It doesn't hurt to pay for stuff every once in a while.

thegeist
Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
he did look pale

imageforce
Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
i think this keynote was great! i love the new MBA and Movie Rentals -
and i hope Movies and Rentals come to Germany soon!

and finally i can update my iPodTouch :)

a new MacMini would`ve been great also - or at least one word about it`s future.

puckhead193
Jan 15, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hey,

its prob going to announce Final Cut Server or whatever its called... but i'm praying for a new MBP

heffeque
Jan 15, 2008, 07:57 PM
but i'm praying for a new MBP

Read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4764246&postcount=56

inkswamp
Jan 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
Looking through the contents of the reference movie provided, I found the iPhone version of the keynote, which you can download from Apple as a self-contained MP4 (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/iphone/972345688g_1_ip.mp4).

Thank you. :)

chubad
Jan 15, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hey,

Yup. That's been known for quite a while. Could be many things. Final Cut Server shipping. (Someday). The Shake replacement Phenomenon announced. Kinda doubt it will be hardware. Not much left after the MacPro update.

chubad
Jan 15, 2008, 08:06 PM
its prob going to announce Final Cut Server or whatever its called... but i'm praying for a new MBP

Keep praying. The MBP defiantly would have been announced at the Keynote. Rest assured if it's announced at a Final Cut Group it will be video oriented and probably expensive!

moonaust
Jan 15, 2008, 08:07 PM
I don't remember if you could watch streaming links on iPod touch, but now I can.

redison
Jan 15, 2008, 08:09 PM
In the keynote ? He looks thin, and pale (his face) your Impressions:?

RichL
Jan 15, 2008, 08:11 PM
Not a fan of the liberal performance at the end. Other than that the new apps are really cool and I'm sure everyone with an iPhone is in heaven.

The Air is ehh. ehhhh. Not a fan for my situation but for mobile computing it's a nice step.

puckhead193
Jan 15, 2008, 08:12 PM
Read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4764246&postcount=56
yea i read it but apple has a good relationship with intel so i'm hopping they got some sorta deal :D;)

Keep praying. The MBP defiantly would have been announced at the Keynote. Rest assured if it's announced at a Final Cut Group it will be video oriented and probably expensive!
that's ok, new toys! I've been putting off ordering FCS2 (i'm going to school for tv production)

David G.
Jan 15, 2008, 08:13 PM
Anybody want to reply to my previous comment? I'm really curious.

chiefillini
Jan 15, 2008, 08:15 PM
I actually watched the speech streaming over "edge" while at the gym this afternoon on my iphone. Quite impressed because quality was good and it never stopped for the 50min that I watched. Very Very surprised.

later all

EricNau
Jan 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
In the keynote ? He looks thin, (his face) your Impressions:?

he did look pale
This is a very common "rumor" after every announcement. ...I wouldn't make anything of it; if you look at pictures of Steve Jobs from a few years ago and compare them to Jobs in the keynote today, he hasn't changed one bit.

billabong
Jan 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
Any place to download this? I would like to watch it on the couch on my AppleTV.

Di9it8
Jan 15, 2008, 08:17 PM
Just been watching keynote on updated iPhone
very impressed with additions ESP location on maps
Also whilst watching macrumors live feed iPhone seemed to get images & text first!!
:D:D

EricNau
Jan 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
Any place to download this? I would like to watch it on the couch on my AppleTV.
Not yet, but last year Apple made it available as a podcast download a couple days after the keynote.

dan-o-mac
Jan 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
Not yet, but last year Apple made it available as a podcast download a couple days after the keynote.

oh really? :p

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/iphone/972345688g_1_ip.mp4

dan-o-mac
Jan 15, 2008, 08:31 PM
Umm.. I'm pretty sure (but boy do I hope I'm wrong) that you can only rent HD movies thru the AppleTV.

1) ive been looking on itunes for a bit now where to actually rent movies from, and the ones he demoed on stage I couldnt even seem to find.

2). i watched the keynote, and every reference to renting HD was done in the appleTV segment.

if this is the case, this could royally suck as I have a perfectly capable mac mini plugged into my HDTV right now, awaiting some rental love.

Did you update your iTunes?

Edit: OK I spoke too soon. I downloaded the iTunes update and see no way to rent movies?

MacGeek7
Jan 15, 2008, 08:33 PM

Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2

coffey7
Jan 15, 2008, 08:36 PM
That song at the end by that drunk guy was really lame. How low class of Apple to insult people by adding politics at the end. Not every Apple user is of the same political view. Who cares what this old drunk guy thinks of the Government. :mad:

KingYaba
Jan 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hearing him say "Tiger" when he meant "Leopard" was a surprise, since back at Apple Steve and the R&D department are probably already using the successor to Leopard.

They ought to be working on my 10.5.2 update!

S600MBUSA
Jan 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
That song at the end by that drunk guy was really lame. How low class of Apple to insult people by adding politics at the end. Not every Apple user is of the same political view. Who cares what this old drunk guy thinks of the Government. :mad:

Yeah, what the hell was up that guy? Lame ending.

wavelayer
Jan 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
Just watched the keynote. Great stuff today. Very innovative. Great presentation by Steve. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

mjstew33
Jan 15, 2008, 08:45 PM

I don't think Apple really knew what he was going to say...

EricNau
Jan 15, 2008, 08:53 PM

Yeah, what the hell was up that guy? Lame ending.
That "lame" "old drunk guy" is perhaps Apple's most famous guest thus far.

I don't think Apple really knew what he was going to say...
I'm sure they knew.

dazed
Jan 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
Very average presentation for me. Time Capsule seems interesting and if works as advertised something i maybe interested in purchasing when we add more macs to our house at some point.

MacBook Air was cool, but nothing id be interested in.

Cant believe he wants to charge me for ipod touch updates. I wont be paying for them.

Guess ill have to continue to dream for new ACD's :)

mciarlo
Jan 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
Just bought my first Mac today (MacBook Pro).

Here's to hoping Apple holds off on the MBP update until WWDC. :D

heffeque
Jan 15, 2008, 09:16 PM
Here's to hoping Apple holds off on the MBP update until WWDC. :D
Probably NOT. It would mean that the MBP would have no update in 1 year. That won't happen. They'll probably update it in a few weeks.

RichL
Jan 15, 2008, 09:18 PM

I'm glad other people agree as well.

Switched2aMac
Jan 15, 2008, 09:38 PM
Every time I see or hear the name Randy Newman, I think of that episode of Family Guy where Randy Newman is sitting at his piano under an apple tree, singing what he sees: "Red-headed lady, reachin' for an apple..." (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8408662729738806196&q=Family+Guy+Randy+Newman&total=18&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5) "Fat man with his family and dog..."

I guess it's time to get an iPod Touch. Well, I'll give my local reseller a few weeks to get the upgraded version on the shelves.

Glad I didn't buy one after Xmas!

Anything I would try to do with a desktop + MacBook Air, I can accomplish with a desktop + iPod Touch with Mail. So I'm pretty happy with that arrangement.

Now I just have to see if I can channel the power of the Reality Distortion Field to convince my wife that we need an :apple:TV. I wouldn't have considered it before.

You'd think she'd prefer :apple:TV to the rabbit ears, but she's not biting!
We have an aversion to paying monthly fees for TV, but don't mind renting/buying DVDs; :apple:TV with the upgrades seems like a perfect fit for us.

That was the first thing I thought of and I was talking to my wife about that. Thanks for the video, ROFLMA.

On a side note, just bought Time Capsule.

thaytis
Jan 15, 2008, 09:54 PM
I agree. The Keynote was kinda lame this year and left me wanting more. Everything thing addressed was already leaked out on the rumors sites.... I was hoping for that One more thing moment.

That song at the end was awful! I love Apple but please, stay out of politics! You may not be happy with the current administration, but to sit there and listen to a dude telling me that our days as a great nation are over deeply offends me. I absolutely could not believe that song. Maybe I'm old fashioned, or maybe its because I'm a United States Marine, but I love this country and can't stand hearing idiocy like that.

donga
Jan 15, 2008, 09:56 PM
oh really? :p

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/iphone/972345688g_1_ip.mp4

how'd you find this? are the other keynotes available like this? (dl'ing this one now.... :))

timish
Jan 15, 2008, 09:58 PM
This is a very common "rumor" after every announcement. ...I wouldn't make anything of it; if you look at pictures of Steve Jobs from a few years ago and compare them to Jobs in the keynote today, he hasn't changed one bit.

Steve Jobs is also a strict vegetarian, so keep that in mind too.

He's probably healthier than 90 percent of the people on this site.

heffeque
Jan 15, 2008, 10:06 PM

Being a vegy person doesn't make you be healthier than an omnivorous person. Actually... it's healthier to eat a little bit of everything, included meat, than only vegy stuff.

Stella
Jan 15, 2008, 10:26 PM
I don't know why Apple think they are second in the smartphone market ( US - which is unimportant - I'd more far more impressed if it was Europe or worldwide ) - because I really thought I saw the graph as:
- RIM
- Nokia ( Symbian )
- Apple

SJ says "second behind RIM" according to the Macrumours feed.

I'm disappointed no MBP - hopefully they'll be announced really soon - I'm not buying a current MBP and being ripped off the Canadian pricing.

New Airport extreme is good - now we know why wireless timemachine was dropped.

MacBook Air is good - it will sell really well.

Compared to previous years, this keynote was short.

Apparently, judging by previous comments, no one on macrumours cares about SMS to multiple recipients because they'd rather phone instead...

If your a veggy, you've got to make sure you eat damn well otherwise it is very easy to miss out on nutrients that you'd otherwise get from meat etc. Though because SJ is stinking rich I'm sure he has a meal plan supplemented with a **** load of the finest pills to supplement his diet.

chubad
Jan 15, 2008, 10:28 PM
Did you update your iTunes?

Edit: OK I spoke too soon. I downloaded the iTunes update and see no way to rent movies?

Because Movie rentals can ONLY be done if you have an Apple TV.

matttrick
Jan 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
Being a vegy person doesn't make you be healthier than an omnivorous person. Actually... it's healthier to eat a little bit of everything, included meat, than only vegy stuff.

seriously, i dont know where his notion of being strictly veg = healthier.

organic bond
Jan 15, 2008, 10:47 PM
how can you have 100 Negatives to a keynote what a joke.

I agree.

dan-o-mac
Jan 15, 2008, 10:53 PM
Because Movie rentals can ONLY be done if you have an Apple TV.

Not true. Just finished watching the keynote. Steve said the movies (1,000) will be available by Feb. Watch anywhere, Macs, PCs all current iPods & iPhones.

organic bond
Jan 15, 2008, 10:55 PM
Innovations? Where?

:D You're kidding. The MacBook Air is VERY INNOVATIVE. Wake up!

mazola
Jan 15, 2008, 11:02 PM
What a delightful keynote!

I was feeling a little deflated after following the keynote in bullet-point text format and the subsequent stock beating.

But watching it now has me feeling much better.

The Randy Newman bits were great too!

:apple:

(I'm serious)

M!K
Jan 15, 2008, 11:12 PM
I hated this keynote! It was so boring! I can't believe I've spend an hour watching it. Especially when Steve discribes the Apple TV for like half-an-hour! Omg! It was sooo long and boring! + No Country announcements for iPhone. No Cinema Display price drops... no MacNano... and the MacBook Air is just... boring. And i hate the design. There is way too much space between the hedge and the screen... And it is sooo expensive! I think it'S the first time i don't like an Apple product. I love Time Capsule though.
Anyway, I'm really disappointed about the long-awaited keynote.

TallManNY
Jan 15, 2008, 11:15 PM
Okay, everyone has been bashing the MB Air. Yes it isn't for everyone or even most people. I wouldn't buy it over either the MB or MB Pro because of its week performance. But I know it is enough for most people and I know it will sell enough. I'm thinking it is only semi successful.

The real story today is the movie rentals on iTunes. I know how the mac fanboys worry about Apple getting sidetracked into the iPhones and the iPods. Forget it, you haven't seen nothing yet. If this HD on demand stuff really works and if they have ALL the major players behind them then Apple might win. And by WIN, I don't mean they put Netflix out of business (though I'm canceling my netflix subscription in February and buying an AppleTV) or putting Blockbuster out of business. I'm talking about putting Timewarner out of business. If in a year I can rent 10,000 movies in HD on demand, then what do I need with new content on TV? Well, I go too far. There is still the need for sports and sitcoms. This won't put Timewarner out of business, but it will certainly bite into their business model. Of course Timewarner is going to try to do video on demand as well. I know they are working on it now. But they are a ways a way from getting it out there. And the interface won't be as good as Apple's. For many people this is going to be their first HD TV experience. It is certainly going to be their first HD movie experience. They aren't going to want to go back to normal DVDs or normal TV after they see the picture that their HD tv can do.

Anyway, I'm excited. Completely not excited about the MB Air. Liked the shout out to Mac Pro for a few seconds there. Loved the new iPhone stuff. But HD movie rentals is going to be big. Think about downloading two or three movies to rent on your iPod right before a trip. You and I are going to do that every time. If only as a back up for a delayed plane and being stuck in an airport. It will just be too easy to not do this.

sonictonic
Jan 15, 2008, 11:17 PM
This may not have been my favorite keynote, but all the naysayers around here is just plain ridiculous. And to the idiots complaining about the rentals: It's a RENTAL! NOT A PURCHASE! Why in the hell are you going to RENT something that A) you don't plan to watch in a whole month? or B) will start watching and not watch it completely in 24 hours? WTF??? Don't RENT it until you want to watch it! Pretty damn simple!

iwood
Jan 15, 2008, 11:20 PM
went to the apple website to watch the keynote. i click on the keynote and it says file not found. anywhere else that has a link where I can watch the keynote?

thanks

TripleCore
Jan 15, 2008, 11:28 PM
The Randy Newman lounge act was so...out of place. While I wouldn't necessarily argue with some views, it wasn't the place and time in a keynote.

The MB Air is indeed an engineering advance for Apple, and I can see that benefitting other product lines. That is what the keynotes have been for Apple.

I think the Apple TV is a step up, although I would get it in a second if it had an optical drive. But I have to credit Apple for being so forward looking.

darthvedder81
Jan 16, 2008, 12:09 AM
I like the "Toy Story" songs but Randy Newman was just bizarre there. Rambling incoherently for most of it and then singing a god-awful, cliche ridden "Bush sucks" song. What in the hell was that doing in a Macworld keynote performance? "I hate most big corporations except for the one that paid me a truckload of money to play at their event." A lousy ending to a lousy keynote.

darthvedder81
Jan 16, 2008, 12:12 AM
he did look pale

I believe Steve is a strict vegan now. Most vegan's I've seen are frankly somewhat pale and gaunt looking.

Shagrat
Jan 16, 2008, 12:17 AM
I hate that the stream is not compatible with my ipod touch. They are Apple after all!

Works on MY iTouch.

Just not spending out on the crappy "upgrade". Don't need Stock prices. Weather...meh. Maps are ok, but there are very few free Wi-Fi areas anywhere I have been able to find...(London, of course) so who cares?

Oh well. Sorry Apple...not this time.

lamar777
Jan 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
Loving the iPhone update. Soon many websites will be creating logos on their front page that can be zoomed on and set as an iPhone home screen logo, come on Macrumors be the fist!

lamar777
Jan 16, 2008, 12:56 AM
* Create a 57x57 PNG.
* Name it "apple-touch-icon.png"
* Throw it in the root folder of your website. (Not the root of your server, the root of your web documents.)

From TUAW

Ravenflight
Jan 16, 2008, 01:21 AM

Thank You SO MUCH!!! I just spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out a way to capture the keynote video so I could watch it on my AppleTV (oh the irony). I should have checked this thread first!

sunfast
Jan 16, 2008, 03:48 AM
Please, people, do the homework, and lessen:

The MacBook Pro was launched as the "One More Thing" at MWSF 2006

RoboCop001
Jan 16, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm only getting audio?

jeremy.king
Jan 16, 2008, 09:33 AM
Was the gizmodo guy there during the Flickr streaming part when the display went blank?

swagi
Jan 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
I hated this keynote! It was so boring! I can't believe I've spend an hour watching it. Especially when Steve discribes the Apple TV for like half-an-hour! Omg! It was sooo long and boring! + No Country announcements for iPhone. No Cinema Display price drops... no MacNano... and the MacBook Air is just... boring. And i hate the design. There is way too much space between the hedge and the screen... And it is sooo expensive! I think it'S the first time i don't like an Apple product. I love Time Capsule though.
Anyway, I'm really disappointed about the long-awaited keynote.

Couldn't agree more. I was really in the market for a MacBook Air. All the preliminary things looked good. The Wired mockup was extremely sexy. And now this bummer.

Don't like the black keys, don't like the big hedge, especially don't like the price tag for 64 GB SSD...

so I just sit it out and wait for the MacBook Pro update. The Air really is a bummer.

Maccus Aurelius
Jan 16, 2008, 11:42 AM
For those clamoring for major upgrades to the Macbook and Macbook pro lines, I doubt they'd bother making a fuss about them in any keynote anymore. The prevailing pattern since their release has been quiet updates added to their site, or at least a banner on the welcome page like they did for the Mac Pro.

All I'm waiting for is LED backlighting on the standard MB, because I've decided that the MBP is not worth the money for me, since discrete graphics and more display real estate on a portable are just not a concern, but a user replaceable hard drive, and a more durable polycarbonate shell certainly are.

That said, I love the look of this new Macbook Air, but I wish some of the design elements of it would filter over to the MBP line. If the Macbook Pro gets the maglatch, Macbook keys and the Macbook's easy access to the HDD, then I'd gladly go over to the aluminum beast in an instant.

RoboCop001
Jan 16, 2008, 01:46 PM
I still only get audio.

It starts loading with a black video screen and then the player shrinks to an audio-only thing. I know my connection is fast enough...

Why? why??

nicoska
Jan 16, 2008, 05:03 PM

Any way to find the 650kbs version ?
thanks

Nico

segfaultdotorg
Jan 16, 2008, 07:19 PM
How can I watch the keynote on my Apple TV? How can I download the whole thing rather than streaming it?

N/M, I guess I can use the iPhone version posted above, but I'd prefer a higher-quality rip.

Palestrina
Jan 17, 2008, 03:36 PM
Great keynote until Randy Newman. Of course a left-wing company has a left-wing singer sing in the most left-wing city in the US about how crummy we all are. What a downer, but not surprising, I guess.

psychofreak
Jan 17, 2008, 03:38 PM
Great keynote until Randy Newman. Of course a left-wing company has a left-sing singer sing in the most left-wing city in the US about how crummy we all are. What a downer, but not surprising, I guess.

How is Apple a left-wing company?

darthraige
Jan 19, 2008, 09:06 AM
Keynote now available in HD on Apples website!!!!

MacWorld SanFran 2008 HD (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/event/index.html?internal=fj2l3s9dm)

hazkid
Jan 19, 2008, 12:56 PM
Is there any way to save the 720p stream? I would love to have a higher quality video than the iTunes podcast. (And no, VLC can't really save RTSP streams.)

rtsp://a2047.v1414b.c1414.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1414/1_h264_1000/1a1a1ae757c733980368e14fbe3297c529980f7de958b91d4bac1778e546afdd40af1c4b7cb0e115/972345688g_2_1000.mov
rtsp://a2047.v1414b.c1414.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1414/1_h264_1000/1a1a1ae757c733980368e14fbe3297c529980f7de958b91d4bac1778e546afdd40af1c4b7cb0e115/972345688g_1_1000.mov
The first one is linked on Apple's website, the second has no traffic because it's not. I just found it.

iTim314
Jan 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
If you have Quicktime Pro, just go to File > Export.

I'm in the process of doing that right now. Though be warned, it'll be a long, slow process.

hazkid
Jan 19, 2008, 01:28 PM
Doesn't seem to work. It just takes about 5 seconds and outputs a 2kb file with no audio or video. Also, the "sound" option of the QT export settings is disabled. Did it work for you?

jnc
Jan 19, 2008, 02:29 PM
Keynote now available in HD on Apples website!!!!

MacWorld SanFran 2008 HD (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/f27853y2/event/index.html?internal=fj2l3s9dm)

Now we're talking :D I've been spoilt by HD...

nicoska
Jan 19, 2008, 04:29 PM
Is there any way to save the 720p stream? I would love to have a higher quality video than the iTunes podcast. (And no, VLC can't really save RTSP streams.)

rtsp://a2047.v1414b.c1414.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1414/1_h264_1000/1a1a1ae757c733980368e14fbe3297c529980f7de958b91d4bac1778e546afdd40af1c4b7cb0e115/972345688g_2_1000.mov
rtsp://a2047.v1414b.c1414.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1414/1_h264_1000/1a1a1ae757c733980368e14fbe3297c529980f7de958b91d4bac1778e546afdd40af1c4b7cb0e115/972345688g_1_1000.mov
The first one is linked on Apple's website, the second has no traffic because it's not. I just found it.

Wow! That's huge quality.
Any idea how to save it ?
Thanks

nicoska

darthraige
Jan 19, 2008, 09:32 PM
You can save the keynote through iTunes now too. It's 889.8mb.

edit - And I totally missed that someone pointed that out above. lol

sonictonic
Jan 20, 2008, 01:01 AM
I too would love to be able to save the HD version!

Anyone have a way yet other than QT export?

nicoska
Jan 20, 2008, 05:26 AM
You can save the keynote through iTunes now too. It's 889.8mb.

edit - And I totally missed that someone pointed that out above. lol

Yes. I know. But the iTunes version is not HD quality

nicoska