PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger dies

leekohler
Jan 22, 2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-heath-ledger-ap-story,0,4786893.story?coll=chi_breaking_500

shecky
Jan 22, 2008, 03:57 PM
what the hell? talk about unexpected.

Jan 22, 2008, 03:58 PM
The hell?

MacNut
Jan 22, 2008, 03:59 PM
Me and Lee both reported this at the same time but since this thread is going Im gonna ask mine be closed.

mactastic
Jan 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
So what kind of drugs are involved? :(

MacNut
Jan 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
I don't think they know yet.

Lyle
Jan 22, 2008, 04:01 PM
So what kind of drugs are involved? :(My first thought too. Very sad to hear it; it seemed like he had a promising career ahead.

tobefirst
Jan 22, 2008, 04:01 PM
Wow...this is just crazy.

GFLPraxis
Jan 22, 2008, 04:02 PM
Very sad :(

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/

January 22, 2008, 4:42 pm
Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead

By Sewell Chan

The actor Heath Ledger was found dead this afternoon in an apartment building at 421 Broome Street in SoHo, according to the New York City police. Mr. Ledger was 28.

At 3:31 p.m., a masseuse arrived at Apartment 5A in the building for an appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of Mr. Ledger’s bedroom. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger unconscious. They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities. The police said they did not suspect foul play and said they found pills near body.

Mr. Ledger, a native of Perth, Australia, won acclaim for his role as a co-star in “Brokeback Mountain”, a 2005 film. The film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx about two cowboys who fall in love, won critical acclaim. Reviewing the film in The New York Times, the critic Stephen Holden wrote, “Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn.”

Calls by The New York Times to Mara Buxbaum, a publicist for Mr. Ledger, and Steve Alexander, the actor’s agent, were not immediately returned this afternoon.

I wonder what caused this? I'm suspecting drug overdose if there was a bottle of pills.

And what happens to movies like The Dark Knight when one of the lead actors dies?

mgargan1
Jan 22, 2008, 04:05 PM
wow... this came out of nowhere!

Sympathies to his family... and his daughter!

MacNut
Jan 22, 2008, 04:07 PM
Depends how far along the movie is in shooting. They can either scrap the film or rewrite it.

scotthayes
Jan 22, 2008, 04:10 PM
I'd never heard of him, had to ask my wife who he was. Still shame when somebody so young dies.

question fear
Jan 22, 2008, 04:10 PM
So sad...he just had a baby recently too.

bc008
Jan 22, 2008, 04:12 PM
whoa..
i thought this was a joke at first

never really seen any of his movies, and havnt heard about him until brokeback mountain, but all the same

AlBDamned
Jan 22, 2008, 04:13 PM
And what happens to movies like The Dark Knight when one of the lead actors dies?

I'm pretty sure Dark Knight would be close to being filmed and in post production. But yeah, very sad.

Queso
Jan 22, 2008, 04:15 PM
:eek:

Didn't see that one coming. How awful!!

tkidBOSTON
Jan 22, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Dark Knight would be close to being filmed and in post production. But yeah, very sad.

The film is in post production.
He was filming a new movie at the time.

But Batman is safe.

sjjordan
Jan 22, 2008, 04:19 PM
whoa..
i thought this was a joke at first

never really seen any of his movies, and havnt heard about him until brokeback mountain, but all the same

Maybe it is a joke. If you look him up on Wikipedia a giant penis takes up the whole screen. NSFW.

clevin
Jan 22, 2008, 04:23 PM
28 yo:( r.i.p.

tkidBOSTON
Jan 22, 2008, 04:26 PM
Maybe it is a joke. If you look him up on Wikipedia a giant penis takes up the whole screen. NSFW.

Took up.

Article is now locked-- as it should be.

MacRumorUser
Jan 22, 2008, 04:28 PM
Sad but it looks like sucide. Feel sorry for those that knew him and he left behind more so than him.

gkarris
Jan 22, 2008, 04:32 PM
Whoa!

And I just got my Blu-ray edition of "A Knight's Tale" that Amazon had on sale and was going to watch today. That has to be one of my favorite movies ever...

RIP... you will be missed...
:(

EDIT: Oh, and waiting for my copy of "The Patriot" as part of the 5 free discs... So sad when this happens to someone famous.

tjcampbell
Jan 22, 2008, 04:32 PM
This is a total shame. He was an awesome actor and a great guy. :(

mactastic
Jan 22, 2008, 04:33 PM
Sad but it looks like sucide. Feel sorry for those that knew him and he left behind more so than him.
More likely an accident unless there's some evidence that he offed himself deliberately?

mashinhead
Jan 22, 2008, 04:38 PM
from what i'm reading it seems like a suicide. but i don't. really shocking, he was a very good actor

MacRumorUser
Jan 22, 2008, 04:42 PM
More likely an accident unless there's some evidence that he offed himself deliberately?

In an ideal world yes. But the reality is how hard is it to read the instructions on the medicine label (assuming it was legitimately prescribed) :confused:

Unspeaked
Jan 22, 2008, 04:43 PM

Agreed; why would you assume it's suicide without any evidence?

::Lisa::
Jan 22, 2008, 04:44 PM
I just saw this on the news. I have to say I'm gobsmacked. So sad :(
I also love 'A Knights Tale'. R.I.P Heath.

I feel so sorry for his little girl.

mactastic
Jan 22, 2008, 04:52 PM
In an ideal world yes. But the reality is how hard is it to read the instructions on the medicine label (assuming it was legitimately prescribed) :confused:
An accidental overdose is not considered suicide. There is a difference.

Agreed; why would you assume it's suicide without any evidence?
I dunno... Unless someone has some evidence of demons in this guys life, the immediate suspicion has to be an accident.

devilot
Jan 22, 2008, 04:53 PM
My celeb-gossip source told me over the phone-- I thought he was joking. :o

Always shocks me when some young (and let's face it, beautiful) celebrity dies.

kretzy
Jan 22, 2008, 04:55 PM
Wow, just heard about this on the radio, can't believe it.

Very sad, he seemed like such a decent guy. Is it true that he was at one of the Olsen twins' apartments?

Ja Di ksw
Jan 22, 2008, 05:01 PM
This is probably just coincidence, but throwing it out there. Apparently, he suffered large sleep problems because of trying to get into the character of The Joker:

"He [Ledger] tends to do that. He is here in London filming the latest episode of the “Batman” franchise, “The Dark Knight.” (Mr. Bale, as it happens, plays Batman; Mr. Ledger plays the Joker.) It is a physically and mentally draining role — his Joker is a “psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy” he said cheerfully — and, as often happens when he throws himself into a part, he is not sleeping much.

“Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night,” he said. “I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.” One night he took an Ambien, which failed to work. He took a second one and fell into a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing."

So, he is sleep deprived and had trouble, even with drugs, falling and staying asleep. Then he is found dead because of an overdose of over the counter sleeping drugs. Could he possibly have just been trying to get to sleep, but was unable to after playing The Joker, and tried to take too many drugs to do it?

paola105
Jan 22, 2008, 05:10 PM
This is so sad.. I'm still shocked. Found out as soon as I came from school.:(

angelodmhl
Jan 22, 2008, 05:12 PM
WTF
WHAT THE ****
He was like 30. TOO ********** YOUNG.

Brad Renfro and Heath Ledger gone in less than a week. I feel ******.

bigandy
Jan 22, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well, damn. Just read it on the front page of BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7203797.stm)...

I was actually quite excited about The Dark Night after seeing the first full trailer, but this will taint it a little for me :o

jSunbeam
Jan 22, 2008, 05:28 PM
i feel really sad. something about a seemingly gentle, 28 year-old guy with a young kid just wrenches my gut.

RIP
x

Eric Piercey
Jan 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
This is just so wrong. It's not like I knew the guy, but I really enjoyed his work. RIP Heath. You'll be missed.

ghall
Jan 22, 2008, 05:44 PM
I just read this on Digg. I was like "wow". I've never even seen the guy in anything, but I was really looking forward to seeing his performance in Dark Knight. When I read the headline I was like "it must be another Heath Ledger". But wow. It's quite sad, and it's a real eye opener too. Death can happen to anyone.

esco
Jan 22, 2008, 05:58 PM
RIP Heath Ledger

Thank you for sharing your acting talent with the world

MacRumorUser
Jan 22, 2008, 06:01 PM
This is probably just coincidence, but throwing it out there. Apparently, he suffered large sleep problems because of trying to get into the character of The Joker:

Well judging by the interview he made about his role he definitely appears 'frayed'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKa-aDga1fE

iRachel
Jan 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
Wow, just heard about this on the radio, can't believe it.

Very sad, he seemed like such a decent guy. Is it true that he was at one of the Olsen twins' apartments?

The Olsen connection is apparently untrue: http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003699996

PlaceofDis
Jan 22, 2008, 07:21 PM
like eberyone else I'm shocked by this. So sad. My thoughts go out to his family and close I ones.

So young and talented. Loved him in A Knight's Tale, ANSI was looking forward to seeing him in the next batman movie.

Cooknn
Jan 22, 2008, 07:26 PM
He was a great actor. His part in The Patriot was portrayed perfectly. I was so excited to see the new direction he took with his part as The Joker in forthcoming Batman movie. I feel so sad for his daughter and the rest of his family and close friends...

evilgEEk
Jan 22, 2008, 07:29 PM
This is so very sad. :(

I feel horrible for his daughter. She will never really know her father. :(

From things I've read it appears to be an accident with too many sleeping pills. Like others have said, the poor guy was probably just exhausted and at his wits end about wanting a decent bit of sleep.

So very sad.

Lixivial
Jan 22, 2008, 07:29 PM
The film is in post production.
He was filming a new movie at the time.

But Batman is safe.

It's a fortunate thing, too, as this looks to be an incredibly strong performance. He looks like he made an absolutely fantastic Joker. Rest in peace, good sir. It's always sad to see the young and the decent ones go.

Cooknn
Jan 22, 2008, 07:40 PM
He looks like he made an absolutely fantastic Joker. Rest in peace, good sir. It's always sad to see the young and the decent ones go.Has anyone deceased ever won an Oscar? The current Dark Knight trailer (http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm) sure looks award worthy to me...

GoCubsGo
Jan 22, 2008, 07:42 PM
The Olsen connection is apparently untrue: http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003699996

He looks out of whack here in comparison to other interviews I've seen him in. Lack of eye contact, the arms all over the place, slow speech, etc.

It is sad, was kind of shocking to be honest because he was certainly doing quite well.

Nadav
Jan 22, 2008, 07:48 PM
Ang Lee (brokeback mountain) lives in my town, and his son goes to my school, I wonder how he's dealing with it.

themadchemist
Jan 22, 2008, 07:58 PM
This is sad to hear. He was very young; it must be terrible for his family. RIP.

neonblue2
Jan 22, 2008, 08:09 PM
When I woke up this morning I walked out to see my dad watching Sky News. I couldn't believe it. I can't believe it. What is going on?

FF_productions
Jan 22, 2008, 08:15 PM
What a shame, he was really on his way up. I can't wait to see Batman.

So sad, he goes from Brokeback Mountain at the Oscars a couple of years ago to the video montage commemorating all the actors that have passed away in the last year.

LethalWolfe
Jan 22, 2008, 08:25 PM
Man, lots of dead celebs recently. Heath Ledger, Bobby Fisher, Sir Edmond Hillary, Suzanne Pleshette, and Maila Nurmi all w/in the past week or so.

Lethal

2nyRiggz
Jan 22, 2008, 08:31 PM
Geez...so sad to hear such things. heart goes out to his 2yr. old and family. The thing is Heath tried to stay away from the "hollywood" life...its tragic.

Bless

Abstract
Jan 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
He had a really young daughter, and I'm sure that having one would make many people think twice about suicide. He probably wasn't suicidal......just lacking sleep and accidentally OD'ed on sleeping pills.

Mavimao
Jan 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
Has anyone deceased ever won an Oscar?

Just one. Peter Finch won a posthumous oscar for his role as Howard Beale in Network. Awesome movie that hardly gets mentioned anymore for no good reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

Stampyhead
Jan 22, 2008, 11:15 PM
So sad, he goes from Brokeback Mountain at the Oscars last year to the video montage commemorating all the actors that have passed away in the last year.

Didn't Brokeback Mountain come out in 2005?

FF_productions
Jan 23, 2008, 01:30 AM
Didn't Brokeback Mountain come out in 2005?

Yeah I think I got my facts all screwed up..time sure does fly.

Still very sad.

Lixivial
Jan 23, 2008, 01:34 AM
Has anyone deceased ever won an Oscar? The current Dark Knight trailer (http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm) sure looks award worthy to me...

I have no idea about the first part, but I completely agree with the second part. Ever since I watched that trailer back in December, I've not been able to stop watching it -- all the mannerisms of the Joker just exude extreme talent.

In fact, until I found it was Heath Ledger, I had no idea who was playing Joker. This trailer was actually the first information I received about the movie. The fact that I couldn't at all tell it was Ledger portrays to me just how talented an actor he was. And it makes me all the sadder to know that this will have been his last completed major motion picture.

FF_productions
Jan 23, 2008, 01:44 AM
I have no idea about the first part, but I completely agree with the second part. Ever since I watched that trailer back in December, I've not been able to stop watching it -- all the mannerisms of the Joker just exude extreme talent.

In fact, until I found it was Heath Ledger, I had no idea who was playing Joker. This trailer was actually the first information I received about the movie. The fact that I couldn't at all tell it was Ledger portrays to me just how talented an actor he was. And it makes me all the sadder to know that this will have been his last completed major motion picture.

Same thing with me...my friend told me later it was Heath Ledger, I thought it was another actor...It's a very disturbing role and will be very exciting yet sad to watch.

It's a shame.

davidjearly
Jan 23, 2008, 02:11 AM
This is sad news, but does it really matter how he went?

I don't think so.

samh004
Jan 23, 2008, 02:27 AM
I was shocked when I got up this morning to see the news that he'd died. It's a shame, as he was a good actor and a nice guy.

solvs
Jan 23, 2008, 02:36 AM
Man, lots of dead celebs recently. Heath Ledger, Bobby Fisher, Sir Edmond Hillary, Suzanne Pleshette, and Maila Nurmi all w/in the past week or so.

Brad Renfro as well. There was also talk of some drug use in the past, especially after his somewhat recent break up with Michelle Williams. He seemed to have had pneumonia according to recent reports, and as noted, has been having trouble sleeping. Lots of empty bottles, but no sign of illegal substances. It's just so sad, just saw an interview where he was talking about his Daughter.

bov
Jan 23, 2008, 02:39 AM
man that is just crazy..

crazy legs
Jan 23, 2008, 02:41 AM
This is so sad. I enjoyed him.

redAPPLE
Jan 23, 2008, 05:32 AM
An accidental overdose is not considered suicide. There is a difference.

I dunno... Unless someone has some evidence of demons in this guys life, the immediate suspicion has to be an accident.

it seems he is a down-to-earth type of guy. unless there is something we (obviously) don't know. BUT... how can one accidentally take too much pills?

Abstract
Jan 23, 2008, 06:14 AM
^^^Easily. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 19 or 20 (I'm 27), and when they were trying to figure out how much Ritalin to take each day, I got to 40 mg and passed out for 13 hours (minimum). Later, I found that I needed "only" around 30 mg.

Sleeping pills don't kick in right away, so I can imagine how an OD could happen quite easily if he was expecting to sleep after taking his pills.

Same thing with me...my friend told me later it was Heath Ledger, I thought it was another actor...It's a very disturbing role and will be very exciting yet sad to watch.

It's a shame.

And the fact that he has to compete with Jack Nicholson's portrayal of The Joker.......and yet Ledger delivers....makes it even more sad. Nobody thought Jack could be topped, and yet from the trailers, Heath looks like he was holding his own. :o

iBlue
Jan 23, 2008, 06:58 AM
You can absolutely accidentally OD on sleeping pills. I dealt with insomnia for a years, it makes you nuts. There was one time which was particularly difficult and nothing was working. Out of sheer desperation, frustration and anger I took several ambien. My boyfriend, who I didn't even realize was watching, thought I was trying to kill myself and made a big friggin issue of it and ratted me out to my doctor. Long story... the point is, people do stupid things when they're sleep deprived. This is terribly sad but I'm not entirely convinced it was a suicide. Either way, it's a shame. :-(

Sun Baked
Jan 23, 2008, 07:14 AM
>Ja Di ksw

How many of the uppers do you have to have in your system if multiple Ambien stop working?

sushi
Jan 23, 2008, 07:22 AM
Loved him in A Knight's Tale
One of my favorite movies.

He was a great actor. His part in The Patriot was portrayed perfectly.
Another favorite.

Either way, it's a shame. :-(
Yes it is.

So young. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and daughter. As someone already said, his daughter will never really know him. At least she will be able to see how talented of an actor he really was.

bartelby
Jan 23, 2008, 07:22 AM
Depends how far along the movie is in shooting. They can either scrap the film or rewrite it.

Well Brandon Lee was killed during the shooting filming of The Crow (IIRC the mapped his face from other scenes of the film on to stand ins for the remaining few scenes.), so I don't think much would stop studios finishing films now-a-days.

Thomas Veil
Jan 23, 2008, 08:59 AM
You can absolutely accidentally OD on sleeping pills. I dealt with insomnia for a years, it makes you nuts. There was one time which was particularly difficult and nothing was working. Out of sheer desperation, frustration and anger I took several ambien. My boyfriend, who I didn't even realize was watching, thought I was trying to kill myself and made a big friggin issue of it and ratted me out to my doctor. Long story... the point is, people do stupid things when they're sleep deprived. This is terribly sad but I'm not entirely convinced it was a suicide. Either way, it's a shame. :-(Pretty much what I figured; he never planned this, it was just a tragic accident. A real shame, especially since he has a little one who'll never know her dad. :(

Peter Finch won a posthumous oscar for his role as Howard Beale in Network. Awesome movie that hardly gets mentioned anymore for no good reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08Agreed. "Network" was pretty dead-on in predicting what kind of crap TV we'd be watching in the (at that time) future; Finch's performance was brilliant; and it's a shame that this movie is all but lost to history. What the hell is up with that anyway?

SactoGuy18
Jan 23, 2008, 10:46 AM
Agreed. "Network" was pretty dead-on in predicting what kind of crap TV we'd be watching in the (at that time) future; Finch's performance was brilliant; and it's a shame that this movie is all but lost to history. What the hell is up with that anyway?

Network actually underestimated the wild changes that would happen to network TV, especially in the last 15 years. You really wonder what the late Paddy Chayesky (who wrote the screenplay for the movie) would think about the state of television in 2008.

But getting back on topic, now I hear that Westboro Baptist Church (the group known to protest at funerals by railing against homosexuals and the military) wants to protest at Ledger's funeral. That made me want to http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/boese103.gif. I hope that Ledger's family would ship the body back to Australia at the first opportunity to ensure that Ledger will get a decent funeral without protests from this "Christian group" (a phrase I use highly advisedly!).

noaccess
Jan 23, 2008, 12:31 PM
This is really sad. R.I.P Heath Ledger :(

And now the Westboro Baptist Church are planning to protest his funeral. Just plain disgusting people.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/hanagumori/heath.jpg

Ja Di ksw
Jan 23, 2008, 12:37 PM
I thought they lost a court case, so now they couldn't picket (or it would cost them millions if they did) . . . .

leekohler
Jan 23, 2008, 12:47 PM

And now the Westboro Baptist Church are planning to protest his funeral. Just plain disgusting people.

Dammit! That's it. I hate those **********. They have absolutely no shame whatsoever. I've always advocated for their right to protest even though they're disgusting people, but really- this is awful.

dizastor
Jan 23, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the dark knight is complete and in the can (save for the director making tweaks to the edit until the last possible minute) so I doubt this will effect the movie at all.

The worst part for the batman series is that it looks like he did a hell of a job portraying the joker, and this means there will definitely be no reappearance of the character in the Christopher Nolan series of films.

He was a great actor and a humble actor. Not often found in the same person.

He will be missed.

ErikAndre
Jan 23, 2008, 02:08 PM

Sick, sick people.

ucfgrad93
Jan 23, 2008, 02:10 PM
Its a shame that such a young and talented person should die like this. But it appears that there may be more to the story.

Cops investigating Heath Ledger's death found a $20 bill in the actor's apartment and the way it folded indicated it could be used for drugs, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said Wednesday at a press conference.

TMZ.com reported that the bill was rolled up "in a certain way" with a powdered substance on it, citing NYPD sources. But Kelly would not comment on whether or not there was any narcotics residue on the bill. Police are testing the bill and results are expected in the next 24 hours, he said.

CBS 2 in New York City reported that cops found drug packets along with the $20 bill in Ledger's apartment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324802,00.html

Much Ado
Jan 23, 2008, 02:14 PM

Sick f**ks. Let's not give them any more publicity than they have already snatched.

RIP Heath.

angelodmhl
Jan 23, 2008, 02:53 PM

WOW. ""God"" is such a hater...

DakotaGuy
Jan 23, 2008, 03:03 PM

I know they also picket soldiers funerals right now and do whatever they can to make the family feel terrible. I think there is a group of bikers that go around and place themselves between the protesters and the people attending the funeral. I know our state passed a law that prevents picketing funerals within so many feet because of these people.

Westboro is mainly Fred Phelps and his family. It is funny that they use the right to freedom of speech to speak out against the country that affords it to them.

Phelps is evil plain and simple.

WOW. ""God"" is such a hater...

Westboro leader Fred Phelps thinks he IS God. In reality he is actually the devil.

Padraig
Jan 23, 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the dark knight is complete and in the can (save for the director making tweaks to the edit until the last possible minute) so I doubt this will effect the movie at all.

The worst part for the batman series is that it looks like he did a hell of a job portraying the joker, and this means there will definitely be no reappearance of the character in the Christopher Nolan series of films.

He was a great actor and a humble actor. Not often found in the same person.

He will be missed.

Tragic news.

I was highly impressed with what I've seen so far of his Joker. I can't help but wonder what this will mean for TDK - given that the Joker was (heavily rumoured) to have a pivotal role in the third movie.

beatzfreak
Jan 23, 2008, 05:26 PM
This is so sad.

Heath lived near my neighborhood in Brooklyn with Michelle Williams.
They hosted fund-raisers in their home to help fight big development projects in the area. The world will remember him as a great actor, but us Brooklynites will remember him for his generosity and concern for our community.

Iscariot
Jan 24, 2008, 03:19 AM
Its a shame that such a young and talented person should die like this. But it appears that there may be more to the story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324802,00.html

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said no illegal drugs were found in the spacious loft and that no drug residue was visible on the rolled-up $20 bill.

Autopsy was inconclusive, toxicology in two weeks.

mad jew
Jan 24, 2008, 05:23 AM
Poor family. Imagine having to deal with the death of a loved one as well as the world's attention.

It'll affect the box office numbers, that's for sure.

latergator116
Jan 24, 2008, 01:31 PM
This is so sad.

Heath lived near my neighborhood in Brooklyn with Michelle Williams.
They hosted fund-raisers in their home to help fight big development projects in the area. The world will remember him as a great actor, but us Brooklynites will remember him for his generosity and concern for our community.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. That's really nice to know. :)

This is truly a shame.

freeny
Feb 6, 2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/06/heath.ledger/index.html

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine," the office said in a short statement.

Translation- oxycotin, vicodin, valium, restoril, xanax and somnil

sounds like a bad combo no matter how you translate it.

PlaceofDis
Feb 6, 2008, 12:19 PM
yeah, bad mixture.

shame to lose him, and sad to see him using so many drugs to try and function normally

Lord Sam
Feb 6, 2008, 01:14 PM
Wow...this is just crazy. yeah. Sad. And weird.

leekohler
Feb 6, 2008, 01:16 PM

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine," the office said in a short statement.

Good god! That sounds like it could kill a horse!

devilot
Feb 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
Okay, for some reason, that article really got to me. :o Humanized it a bit more. I think, I was just thinking of this so abstractly as he's in no way connected to me... but imagining what it was like for Olsen to get that call about her friend. For his ex (and mother of his child) to receive that news. Even separated, there must be a great deal of love and care for him still. And to imagine what it was like for his parents to be notified. :o

Ugh. That is just... sigh... so sad. :(

twistedlegato
Feb 7, 2008, 09:26 PM

I hate those people :mad:

I really want to give them a good smack! Sometimes freedom of speech needs to have its limits!:mad:

iBlue
Feb 8, 2008, 02:21 AM

I wonder how much. Although they're all strong central nervous system depressants, it's not THAT bad a mixture at lower acceptable doses. Those are 2 similar painkillers, 3 benzodiazepines and [technically] an antihistamine. I've taken all three of those sorts of things simultaneously (painkiller, benzo and antihistamine) and lived to tell the tale because they were just moderate doses which had a purpose.
I guess regardless it was too much for him. :(

bartelby
Feb 8, 2008, 02:27 AM
I wonder how much. Although they're all strong central nervous system depressants, it's not THAT bad a mixture at lower acceptable doses. Those are 2 similar painkillers, 3 benzodiazepines and [technically] an antihistamine. I've taken all three of those sorts of things simultaneously (painkiller, benzo and antihistamine) and lived to tell the tale because they were just moderate doses which had a purpose.
I guess regardless it was too much for him. :(

Remember not everyone is the same. Drugs work on some and not others, some people suffer one side effect and some suffer others. Drug interaction is even more random. Also nowhere mentions dosages for any of the drugs.

But it's a shame he went so early. Given more time he could have made up for Ned Kelly.

iBlue
Feb 8, 2008, 02:39 AM
Remember not everyone is the same. Drugs work on some and not others, some people suffer one side effect and some suffer others. Drug interaction is even more random. Also nowhere mentions dosages for any of the drugs.

But it's a shame he went so early. Given more time he could have made up for Ned Kelly.
I'm well aware of that and since he possessed all those drugs, I am going to guess that he was at least partially aware of that (his reactions to them) too. I just think knowing the doses he took would go a long way towards determining if he OD'ed on purpose or not.

bartelby
Feb 8, 2008, 02:51 AM
Also interesting would be the time scale that all the drugs were taken. I wouldn't have thought taking Diazepam and Temazepam together was a wise thing to do.

iBlue
Feb 8, 2008, 03:02 AM
Also interesting would be the time scale that all the drugs were taken. I wouldn't have thought taking Diazepam and Temazepam together was a wise thing to do.
definitely. those benzos have long half-lives so I do imagine one could still be in his system while he consumes another.

bartelby
Feb 8, 2008, 03:11 AM
definitely. those benzos have long half-lives so I do imagine one could still be in his system while he consumes another.

I'm very surprised he was prescribed all of those. I presume they're not OTC drugs in the US.

iBlue
Feb 8, 2008, 03:13 AM
I'm very surprised he was prescribed all of those. I presume they're not OTC drugs in the US.
GOD NO!

bartelby
Feb 8, 2008, 03:20 AM
GOD NO!

Thought not. I'm guessing he was given tablets by someone so he may not have been aware of half-lives/ interaction issues.

Diazepam for anxiety or even alcohol withdrawal and someone gave him some sleeping tablets (Temazepam).

Iscariot
Feb 9, 2008, 10:55 PM
I'm well aware of that and since he possessed all those drugs, I am going to guess that he was at least partially aware of that (his reactions to them) too. I just think knowing the doses he took would go a long way towards determining if he OD'ed on purpose or not.

When you're on a number of drugs like this, it's hard to keep the dosages straight. Case in point would be the Canadian musician Matthew Good. Good suffers from (I believe) anxiety and depression, and was on a variety of medications. These kinds of medications can have an adverse affect on your mind, and without knowing it he one day took something like 40 pills, massively overdosing. He was rushed to the ER and they managed to flush his system, but it was a very close call. It was certainly not intentional, and he didn't realize he had taken so many. A combination of pre-programmed behaviour -- take one of these when you "feel" an attack -- and a desperation for relief caused him to accidentally overdose.

Being massively sleep deprived, the haziness caused by multiple sleeping pills, and a desperate need for relief could very easily cause one to lose track of even such an important task.