PDA

View Full Version : School Purposes - Macbook vs macbook air?

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 01:04 PM
Well, I need a laptop for school, and I'm, well STUCK!!! If I get macbook air, I would leave it at a standard configuration. if i get a macbook, it will be 2gb, 2.2ghz, 160gb, and well, color i dont know.

So basically if i get a macbook air it would be the cheapest i can get, and if i get a macbook, it would be ALMOST high end.

My real question is, which would be better for taking to school to type on and take notes, and take home and move the files to my imac for printing and homework? I like the portability of the macbook air, power, not so much, but I think i can get by it, since i cant get a 1.8ghz (dont ask why i cant). but that means ill get the macbook air only for school, and i can take it everywhere, and use it for web surfing, and due to the small HD size, there is really no use for putting my photos and music, and music wont sound good on its mono speakers anyway.

If i get a macbook, i can use it for school, I would have to care for it more cuz in my opinion, the heavier something is, the more fragile when you drop it (dropping a nano vs a classic). and i can put all my files on the macbook (well, almost all), and keep it for a very long time (2-4 years).

macbook air will be more convenient, but will have a shorter time span.

So all in all, what i think, is that the macbook air (yes, im repeating my self), will be more convenient, i dont mind no optical, nor a second usb port, but the mba will have a shorter life span.

the macbook air, a little heavier, is nice, isnt as slick as the mba (and if i get a macbook, i would have to wait for penryn), but will last longer, but i will use it more, but in less places.

so from that (btw, sorry for the lengthy post), i would use the mba more in its small life span, and the mb less in its longer life span.

and i already have an imac that I LOVE, and getting a macbook will start to get me comparing the two, but an mba just means that i will love my imac, and use my mba as just my second computer.

What do you think i should get?? sorry for the lengthy post.

P.S. for some reason i dont think i mentioned everything:p.

Eric Lewis
Jan 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
Id spend the money on a Middle White Macbook..and upgrade the hard disk to max...and third party ram

then you can use the extra money for a external keyboard or mouse or whatever

you will have more use with a macbook..then an air

burn/watch DVDS! and hold all ur music etc

Anderson3133
Jan 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
Macbook. Simple. It can also be used as a desktop, which is a great feature. And it's cheaper. 2 pounds will not make a noticeable difference.

netdog
Jan 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
The MBA will be great for school. Bookbags do get heavy.

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 01:09 PM
Yes, but i have a desktop, as ive said, i dont want to use one more than the other. i know its kinda dumb, but i would need to use my imac more (i got the 2.8 for a reason, one is for that). if i get an mba, i will only use it for what i intend to use it for. i dont plan on mice or anything, just a plain laptop. not a desktop replacement or anything.

EDIT: i should have made a poll:mad:

Eidorian
Jan 27, 2008, 01:10 PM
The midrange white Macbook is the best option. Upgrade the RAM and hard drive later down the road. I enjoyed taking notes using VoodooPad Lite (http://flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/voodoopadlite.html).

AvalonX
Jan 27, 2008, 01:21 PM
Get the Air. The weight IS a huge difference no matter what anyone says!, the air is nearly half the weight of the MacBook. Lug it around often enough and you'll be glad u got the Air. And you know, especially if you are a student lugging around books and what not on top of it all. As you've said, you already have a desktop that you use. You need a portable. Then get the ultra-portable. I've got a MacBook now. Yes its light. but if it could weigh 3lbs? OMG, i'd be in heaven.

GET THE AIR!!!

Freyqq
Jan 27, 2008, 01:23 PM
ok..i take my MBP (weighs a little MORE than the macbook) to all my classes and take notes on it. No problems whatsoever. Get a macbook. The macbook air is designed for people that need a second computer. It is not a primary computer.

AvalonX
Jan 27, 2008, 01:32 PM
ok..i take my MBP (weighs a little MORE than the macbook) to all my classes and take notes on it. No problems whatsoever. Get a macbook. The macbook air is designed for people that need a second computer. It is not a primary computer.

But he said he already has an iMac that he loves as his primary. He needs a secondary portable comp. Why is no one listening to what he says he needs rather than what we think that we ourselves need. *giggles* If he needs a portable as a secondary, it really is a no brainer. The AIR would be perfect for that.

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 01:32 PM

Did you read my post at all? I already have an imac, so your telling me i should get a macbook air and macbook at the same time

joekix
Jan 27, 2008, 01:35 PM
kind of sounds like you want the air. get the air and be happy :)

bluedoggiant
But he said he already has an iMac that he loves as his primary. He needs a secondary portable comp. Why is no one listening to what he says he needs rather than what we think that we ourselves need. *giggles* If he needs a portable as a secondary, it really is a no brainer. The AIR would be perfect for that.

My ONLY problem with the air is that it has a short life span and cant do much, which, IMO, is the really the same thing, if someone can convince that it can last long and does more than i think it can, i can get it, otherwise, ill shoot for an mb with a longer life span, and try not to like TOO much that ill abandon my beautiful imac

Freyqq
no not really

ok..if you have an imac and you'll just use the laptop for notes and light stuff..then fine..get it

i don't think you'll notice 2 less pounds in a backpack though

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 01:37 PM
no not really

ok..if you have an imac and you'll just use the laptop for notes and light stuff..then fine..get it

i don't think you'll notice 2 less pounds in a backpack though

yes, but my main problem is its short life span, it doesnt seem like a long lasting computer, but it looks more durable than the macbook, by far.

Freyqq
Jan 27, 2008, 01:38 PM
yes, but my main problem is its short life span, it doesnt seem like a long lasting computer, but it looks more durable than the macbook, by far.

everything i've read points to the mba being durable. also, apple can replace the battery when it wears out. Macbook is plenty durable too. I wouldn't decide over durability issues. Regardless of which you buy, get a sleeve for it to protect it.

heatmiser
Jan 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
but it looks more durable than the macbook, by far.

A 3lb aluminum computer is not going to be more durable than a regular plastic Macbook. More crushable, certainly. More dentable, too. But not more durable.

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 01:41 PM
everything i've read points to the mba being durable. also, apple can replace the battery when it wears out. Macbook is plenty durable too. I wouldn't decide over durability issues. Regardless of which you buy, get a sleeve for it to protect it.

as in the speed of the processor being outdated. it already kinda is, so in a year, or at max two, the mba will really be useless, it will be GREAT while it lasts, but dumb and boring after a year. a macbook has a longer span, more power. its really complicated.

plus the mba is just gorgeous, a great companion to my imac

A 3lb aluminum computer is not going to be more durable than a regular plastic Macbook. More crushable, certainly. More dentable, too. But not more durable.

So your saying if i drop both an ipod nano and classic, the classic will have a lighter drop, and still be fully operable?

GAS
Jan 27, 2008, 01:48 PM
as in the speed of the processor being outdated. it already kinda is, so in a year, or at max two, the mba will really be useless, it will be GREAT while it lasts, but dumb and boring after a year. a macbook has a longer span, more power. its really complicated.

Why do you need power is all you're going to do is take notes:confused:
The system requirements for word won't be more than 1.6ghz.

AvalonX
Jan 27, 2008, 01:49 PM
My ONLY problem with the air is that it has a short life span and cant do much, which, IMO, is the really the same thing, if someone can convince that it can last long and does more than i think it can, i can get it, otherwise, ill shoot for an mb with a longer life span, and try not to like TOO much that ill abandon my beautiful imac

The way I see it, with the MacBook Air its the HDD that is the main drag on performance. Its a slow spinner at 4200rpm. And its not worth going with the SSD yet because of cost. But in a few years when u need the boost to extend its usable life, SSDs will be way cheaper with probably a lot more capacity to boot. And seeing they have illustrations that show it isn't too hard to take apart. Throwing in a zippy SSD with a large cap down the line will be the way to go. And its got the same integrated graphics chip as the MB so you won't be playing any hard core 3D on there no matter which u get. Plus u have your iMac for that already. As for CPU performance... Seriously, if you won't be doing hard core gaming, what pray tell will 1.8 or 2.4Ghz make in your life doing word processing, note taking, and web browsing. Its plenty fast for everything you will probably ever do on it. Anything else, u got your iMac for.

The MBP is a totally different animal. Like comparing apples to oranges. So if your choice is between the MB and the MBA as you are indicating, get the MBA.

heatmiser
Jan 27, 2008, 01:54 PM
So your saying if i drop both an ipod nano and classic, the classic will have a lighter drop, and still be fully operable?

Your comparison doesn't work for three reasons:

1. An iPod will, under any circumstances, fare better than a LAPTOP will (Thinkpads excepted) from a given drop.

2. The nano and the classic are made of the same material.

3. All laptops and iPods will have an equally "heavy" drop. A classic won't fall faster than a nano because it's heavier. An MB won't fall faster than an MBA because it's heavier.

joekix
Jan 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
get a used 12" powerbook like me. the 1.5ghz is a very capable and portable machine. it does pretty much everything my mbp does, just not as fast but still pretty snappy. you'll also be saving money. since you have main computer, this option isn't that bad. it's funny, because since i've gotten my powerbook last week, i haven't even touched my mbp.

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 01:59 PM
The way I see it, with the MacBook Air its the HDD that is the main drag on performance. Its a slow spinner at 4200rpm. And its not worth going with the SSD yet because of cost. But in a few years when u need the boost to extend its usable life, SSDs will be way cheaper with probably a lot more capacity to boot. And seeing they have illustrations that show it isn't too hard to take apart. Throwing in a zippy SSD with a large cap down the line will be the way to go. And its got the same integrated graphics chip as the MB so you won't be playing any hard core 3D on there no matter which u get. Plus u have your iMac for that already. As for CPU performance... Seriously, if you won't be doing hard core gaming, what pray tell will 1.8 or 2.4Ghz make in your life doing word processing, note taking, and web browsing. Its plenty fast for everything you will probably ever do on it. Anything else, u got your iMac for.

The MBP is a totally different animal. Like comparing apples to oranges. So if your choice is between the MB and the MBA as you are indicating, get the MBA.

Hmm...This is very hard. Right now I'm starting to think, maybe it isnt worth the extra $$$ for aluminum to match my imac, thiness, sexiness, and a blacklit keyboard. but if i get a macbook, im going to go through the same comparision problem as i did in the summer when i decided to go for a macbook instead of an imac, white vs black, but in the end, obviously, i got an imac.

Your comparison doesn't work for three reasons:

1. An iPod will, under any circumstances, fare better than a LAPTOP will (Thinkpads excepted) from a given drop.

2. The nano and the classic are made of the same material.

3. All laptops and iPods will have an equally "heavy" drop.

So you think the nano will be more damaged?

danish1542
Jan 27, 2008, 02:01 PM
the air is perfect for you, someone who already has a main computer but needs a secondary to take around and do smaller tasks on.

heatmiser
Jan 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
So you think the nano will be more damaged?

I'm not sure which would be damaged more in that case. The classic has a regular hard drive, which would be more prone to shock than the flash drive inside the nano. This is the only factor I can see as more likely to suffer damage in the classic. Are you planning on buying an SSD-driven Macbook Air? Because that's the only way you'd get the drive shock advantage over the regular Macbook.

elppa
Jan 27, 2008, 02:03 PM
As it won't be your primary computer, I'd say Air is the way to go.

PDiPietro
Jan 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
I'm still upholding that the Air, while lightweight, is an absolute waste of money, or certainly not worth $1700 (with an education discount).

I have a mid-range MacBook that I purchased in January of 2007. The thing has held up through frequent use and movement like a champion so far. I did purchase the AppleCare recently before the warranty expired as I need a cosmetic thing or two fixed (primarily the cracking of the wrist pad lip, which should fortunately replace my whole top case which is worn). However, 5.2 pounds is not heavy at all when compared to 6.5 pounds or more, and this machine, being over a year old now, is still more powerful than the Air.

When you start bringing the machine to various places, you'll sometimes want to have the extra features -- primarily the DVI out for presentations, the optical drive, or the extra USB port. You may not think you need it now, but there will inevitably be a time when you do need it and wish you had it.

The bottom line is you get more for your money with the MacBook.

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure which would be damaged more in that case. The classic has a regular hard drive, which would be more prone to shock than the flash drive inside the nano. This is the only factor I can see as more likely to suffer damage in the classic. Are you planning on buying an SSD-driven Macbook Air? Because that's the only way you'd get the drive shock advantage over the regular Macbook.

My point, the classic is more fragile, there is no way im shooting for an SSD until it becomes more popular, and more widely used. And actually becomes a standard, but as someone has mentioned before that 4200RPM is slow.

I am still stuck. this is very difficult (now im repeating my self frantically). I think i may have to wait for them to hit stores and ill go rush to test them both out. like see how fast each opens safari and what not. but im suspecting apple would be putting the 2.8ghz models on displays cuz apple customers at the store tend to just idiotically open up all the apps on the system and overload it.

I'm still upholding that the Air, while lightweight, is an absolute waste of money, or certainly not worth $1700 (with an education discount).

I have a mid-range MacBook that I purchased in January of 2007. The thing has held up through frequent use and movement like a champion so far. I did purchase the AppleCare recently before the warranty expired as I need a cosmetic thing or two fixed (primarily the cracking of the wrist pad lip, which should fortunately replace my whole top case which is worn). However, 5.2 pounds is not heavy at all when compared to 6.5 pounds or more, and this machine, being over a year old now, is still more powerful than the Air.

When you start bringing the machine to various places, you'll sometimes want to have the extra features -- primarily the DVI out for presentations, the optical drive, or the extra USB port. You may not think you need it now, but there will inevitably be a time when you do need it and wish you had it.

The bottom line is you get more for your money with the MacBook.

Just want to point out that the mba has that.

AvalonX
Jan 27, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hmm...This is very hard. Right now I'm starting to think, maybe it isnt worth the extra $$$ for aluminum to match my imac, thiness, sexiness, and a blacklit keyboard.

**thiness..... its the whole point of a portable, also you get a 30 day return policy i think. carry it around for a month, i think you'll truely appreciate the lightness. Otherwise, whats the point of a portable? mind as well carry your iMac around. hehe
**sexiness... one of the reasons we love macs.
**backlit... it'd be way nice to be able to sit in bed and see the keyboard with the lights out. I got an MB and I use it in bed all the time.. and i spend extra time hunting keys or having to turn lights on. I'm sitting in bed right now typing this. *giggles* (and yes I'm slim and fit too ok?)

So ya. worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. But everyone is different. To each his/her own I guess. So if u can afford it, get the AIR. If you're on a budget, get the MB. Pick one and be happy with it.

PDiPietro
Jan 27, 2008, 02:19 PM
Okay, then the other two things.

I still think you'd be wasting money to lose two pounds. I'm in college, and trust me that it makes absolutely no difference.

The machine was intended for business people that have a small briefcase or tote bag and the thin/light/small machine provides an advantage.

It was not built for college students. That's why the MacBook exists. If you want to blow your money, drop an extra $400-500 on something that won't prove much more useful in the long run, especially if you're "only taking it to classes".

Edit: To add, if you're so concerned about little things like "how fast Safari opens up", then you shouldn't be looking at a machine with a slower processor.

BOSS10L
Jan 27, 2008, 02:23 PM
I bought the "bottom of the barrel" MB yesterday, and I have no regrets. I tortured myself for a few weeks over getting a MBP and even considered a MBA (for about 30 seconds), but in the end, from a features/cost standpoint, the MB can't be beat. I'm glad I did buy the MB I did. It is saving me money to add some RAM and a bigger HDD when I need the space, and the savings can also be passed on when I purchase an iMac in the near future.

In all honesty, nobody can tell you what to do or what will be best. It is something you have to decide for yourself. The main question you need to ponder is: "Is the weight savings and space savings worth the extra money and lack of features?"

Good luck. :)

aiongiant
Jan 27, 2008, 02:25 PM
if you have a primary computer at home then get the air
but if your planning for this to be your primary computer get the macbook

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
I hereby pledge the bathroom the most exquisite place to make your decision on an Apple computer. I was taking a shower when i decided to go for an iMac instead of a macbook, and was just using the toilet when i made my decision between the macbook and macbook air:p.

MACBOOK.

I think im just going to live on taking my dads laptop to school everyday (macbook pro), which he doesnt really mind, but he doesnt want me taking it either. And why? Cause I'm planning to wait until Penryn enters the macbooks. Then the macbook will be a GREAT investment. So I'm looking forward to my macbook in the future (just like how i did in the summer before i pulled the trigger for a 24" imac:cool:). The mba isnt for me, thank you PDiPietro, and everyone who tried to drag me away from the mba. And thank you everyone who helped me, including the people who suggested the mba, even though i don't think its right for me, thank you. I will try not to look back at this comparision and get second thoughts. I am going to stick with a macbook, and see what Apple comes out with its next revision of the macbook, which will probably be the summer (just in time for vacation:D).

I am very confident about my decision, though the mba is nice to take everywhere, I dont think ill need that for a while if not never. So. macbook. Period.

*Looking at the MacBook page*

heatmiser
Jan 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
My point, the classic is more fragile, there is no way im shooting for an SSD until it becomes more popular, and more widely used. And actually becomes a standard, but as someone has mentioned before that 4200RPM is slow.

You can't compare the fragility of the iPod classic v. the iPod Nano to the fragility of the Macbook v. the Macbook Air. Laptops are designed differently from iPods, and you can't logically make inferences from one to the other in durability.

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 02:54 PM
You can't compare the fragility of the iPod classic v. the iPod Nano to the fragility of the Macbook v. the Macbook Air. Laptops are designed differently from iPods, and you can't logically make inferences from one to the other in durability.

I'd like to see you drop both a macbook and a macbook air on marble. from 5 feet. Tell me which is working more normal.

The macbook will be more damaged to do its weight.

matperk
Jan 27, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'd like to see you drop both a macbook and a macbook air on marble. from 5 feet. Tell me which is working more normal.

don't worry...there'll be a website to do this to the MBA soon :rolleyes:

skyrider007
Jan 27, 2008, 02:57 PM

Both of them will die, lol.

Anyway I think you want a MacBook Air and it is perfect for you since you already have an iMac :)

bluedoggiant
don't worry...there'll be a website to do this to the MBA soon :rolleyes:

Yeah, like dropping the iPhone.

netdog

And due to its construction.

heatmiser
Jan 27, 2008, 02:58 PM

One would crack, the other would dent. If either landed on its screen, that would be toast. Overall, I'd put my money on the Macbook, due to the thicker plastic shell. In either case, it would be great if you'd stop comparing iPods to laptops, as that comparison just doesn't work (for a number of reasons already discussed).

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 03:02 PM
One would crack, the other would dent. If either landed on its screen, that would be toast. Overall, I'd put my money on the Macbook, due to the thicker plastic shell. In either case, it would be great if you'd stop comparing the iPods to laptops, as that comparison just doesn't work (for a number of reasons already discussed).

uhh, did you read my post from above at all?? i quoted it below. And you know, the funniest thing ive ever done happened a second ago. I just called the apple store to ask if they have the mba's yet. You can see why thats funny after reading the post below.

I hereby pledge the bathroom the most exquisite place to make your decision on an Apple computer. I was taking a shower when i decided to go for an iMac instead of a macbook, and was just using the toilet when i made my decision between the macbook and macbook air:p.

MACBOOK.

I think im just going to live on taking my dads laptop to school everyday (macbook pro), which he doesnt really mind, but he doesnt want me taking it either. And why? Cause I'm planning to wait until Penryn enters the macbooks. Then the macbook will be a GREAT investment. So I'm looking forward to my macbook in the future (just like how i did in the summer before i pulled the trigger for a 24" imac:cool:). The mba isnt for me, thank you PDiPietro, and everyone who tried to drag me away from the mba. And thank you everyone who helped me, including the people who suggested the mba, even though i don't think its right for me, thank you. I will try not to look back at this comparision and get second thoughts. I am going to stick with a macbook, and see what Apple comes out with its next revision of the macbook, which will probably be the summer (just in time for vacation:D).

I am very confident about my decision, though the mba is nice to take everywhere, I dont think ill need that for a while if not never. So. macbook. Period.

*Looking at the MacBook page*

Freyqq
Jan 27, 2008, 03:02 PM

i don't think you should make a decision like this based on which will be less damaged in a fall. Both will be severely damaged from a 5 ft drop. If you want a laptop that can survive a fall like that, don't get a mac. Get a toughbook or something.

skyrider007
Jan 27, 2008, 03:05 PM
uhh, did you read my post from above at all?? i quoted it below. And you know, the funniest thing ive ever done happened a second ago. I just called the apple store to ask if they have the mba's yet. You can see why thats funny after reading the post below.

stop stressing (by ignoring posts you don't want to hear) and order yourself an MBA, then you'll be happy :)

heatmiser
Jan 27, 2008, 03:08 PM

Dude, I read your post--I'm not trying to convince you to buy a Macbook over the MBA. But when you make the durability argument by comparing a laptop to an iPod, I've got to explain why that isn't a valid comparison. Believe me, you can get an MBA--but don't get one because an iPod nano is lighter than an iPod classic. That's just...bizarre. :D

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 03:11 PM
i don't think you should make a decision like this based on which will be less damaged in a fall. Both will be severely damaged from a 5 ft drop. If you want a laptop that can survive a fall like that, don't get a mac. Get a toughbook or something.

I didnt make my decision on that.

stop stressing (by ignoring posts you don't want to hear) and order yourself an MBA, then you'll be happy :)

mm-mm lol. I'm on a mission not to look back at this comparision.

gadgetgirl85
Jan 27, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm kind of in the same predicament but the MBA is a bit too expensive for me :(

skyrider007
Jan 27, 2008, 03:26 PM
I'm kind of in the same predicament but the MBA is a bit too expensive for me :(

Then the SR MacBook will do you justice! :)

Otherwise if you don't mind using Vista, I highly recommend Toshiba R500 or IBM X-Series. They're quite affordable and are high portable without compromising features.

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 03:28 PM
Then the SR MacBook will do you justice! :)

Otherwise if you don't mind using Vista, I highly recommend Toshiba R500 or IBM X-Series. They're quite affordable and are high portable without compromising features.

uhh, penryn macbook please!!!

Virgil-TB2
Jan 27, 2008, 03:45 PM
... I like the portability of the macbook air, power, not so much, but I think i can get by it, since i cant get a 1.8ghz (dont ask why i cant). but that means ill get the macbook air only for school, and i can take it everywhere, and use it for web surfing, and due to the small HD size, there is really no use for putting my photos and music, and music wont sound good on its mono speakers anyway. ....My take on it is to simply quote this bit about the "disadvantages" of the Air and go over it point by point.

The three things you mention are:

- mono speakers
- not enough room for photos and music
- not hugely powerful

and you also mention you have an iMac at home as your main machine.

1) The mono speaker is not a problem as you have the headphone jack. No offense but only a tool that has no appreciation for music would use the speakers on his laptop to listen to music. The speakers on the MacBook for instance, while stereo, are as awful as all tiny metal-membrane speakers are. So I am going to argue here that you simply should not use speakers on a laptop to listen to music, (especially if you want to impress your girlfriend/boyfriend etc.), and that the mono speaker is therefore a "non-issue."

2) The 80 Gig hardrive is not the biggest, but then again an 8 Gig HD on the iPhone is more than enough for the average music collection. If you seriously are carrying around more than 20 Gigs or so of music, you should probably get yourself a Classic iPod and use that. You can easily keep the majority of your music on your iMac at home and just carry a subset of it with you at any time, so again, I think this is basically a non-issue. You kind of imply in your post that you have an iPod of some kind, so why would you want to have a gigantic music collection on your home computer and replicate that both on a laptop and on an iPod? I think you need to make some choices rather than just having everything everywhere all the time. On the other hand, if that's what you want, I would ditch the multiple iPods, computers etc, and get a high end MacBook Pro that has it all and just use that for everything.

3) The Air is not a hugely powerful machine, but it's perfect for what you say the majority of your useage is going to be. If you have an iMac at home and you just want to keep a laptop with you at school that you can carry around easily and surf the web, write an essay etc. the MacBook is more than powerful enough. The only person I know that has one so far told me that using the Air was about the same "feel" as using an iMac in terms of "teh snappy."

Finally, if you add in the "back to my Mac" feature, (you have to join .Mac for that at 100 bucks a year), you can use the Air to access your home computer from school anyway, and *that* will make you the coolest dude/dude-ette at school bar none. :)

MacDude415
Jan 27, 2008, 03:47 PM
I would go for the mid-range white MacBook as well. When you get it purchase RAM from crucial and install yourself (very easy).

bluedoggiant
Jan 27, 2008, 03:55 PM
My take on it is to simply quote this bit about the "disadvantages" of the Air and go over it point by point.

The three things you mention are:

- mono speakers
- not enough room for photos and music
- not hugely powerful

and you also mention you have an iMac at home as your main machine.

1) The mono speaker is not a problem as you have the headphone jack. No offense but only a tool that has no appreciation for music would use the speakers on his laptop to listen to music. The speakers on the MacBook for instance, while stereo, are as awful as all tiny metal-membrane speakers are. So I am going to argue here that you simply should not use speakers on a laptop to listen to music, (especially if you want to impress your girlfriend/boyfriend etc.), and that the mono speaker is therefore a "non-issue."

2) The 80 Gig hardrive is not the biggest, but then again an 8 Gig HD on the iPhone is more than enough for the average music collection. If you seriously are carrying around more than 20 Gigs or so of music, you should probably get yourself a Classic iPod and use that. You can easily keep the majority of your music on your iMac at home and just carry a subset of it with you at any time, so again, I think this is basically a non-issue. You kind of imply in your post that you have an iPod of some kind, so why would you want to have a gigantic music collection on your home computer and replicate that both on a laptop and on an iPod? I think you need to make some choices rather than just having everything everywhere all the time. On the other hand, if that's what you want, I would ditch the multiple iPods, computers etc, and get a high end MacBook Pro that has it all and just use that for everything.

3) The Air is not a hugely powerful machine, but it's perfect for what you say the majority of your useage is going to be. If you have an iMac at home and you just want to keep a laptop with you at school that you can carry around easily and surf the web, write an essay etc. the MacBook is more than powerful enough. The only person I know that has one so far told me that using the Air was about the same "feel" as using an iMac in terms of "teh snappy."

Finally, if you add in the "back to my Mac" feature, (you have to join .Mac for that at 100 bucks a year), you can use the Air to access your home computer from school anyway, and *that* will make you the coolest dude/dude-ette at school bar none. :)

the iphone does not have an HD ;). and i did not say i have an ipod nor iphone, i want a classic. And you are comparing a phone to a computer. Those 80 gigs have other uses you know, and like 10gigs are already gone for the OS. I do have .mac, and plan to use back to my mac a lot. and this post really is giving me second thoughts. i seriously need to try both.

nukiduz
Jan 27, 2008, 04:16 PM
easy. if you have another computer and money isn't a issue, get an air. i'm thinking of doing the same, but money is quite an issue :(

Concorde Rules
Jan 27, 2008, 04:26 PM
Best Mac Book you can.

IMO I just can't think why you would get one apart from its lighter.

I can see the point of having one... but school isn't.

Get a decent spec MacBook and a BACKUP!!! :)

elppa
Jan 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
Best Mac Book you can.

IMO I just can't think why you would get one apart from its lighter.

I can see the point of having one... but school isn't.

Get a decent spec MacBook and a BACKUP!!! :)

The original poster has already made up their mind!

sushi
Jan 27, 2008, 06:38 PM
as in the speed of the processor being outdated. it already kinda is, so in a year, or at max two, the mba will really be useless, it will be GREAT while it lasts, but dumb and boring after a year.
Wait a minute here.

A computer does not automatically become useless after a period of time. Heck, I still use my PM933 (6 years old) and PB15 (4 years old) on a daily basis. I have older ones that I use as well.

Not everyone needs to have the latest and greatest to be functional.

BTW, I have yet to see anybody out type a computer. So let's not get carried away with specs.

elppa
Jan 27, 2008, 07:01 PM
BTW, I have yet to see anybody out type a computer.

If by "out type" you mean type letters quicker than the computer can display the characters, then you obviously have never used Word 2004 under rosetta on an Intel Mac. :p

ivan1234
Jan 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
Iam a university student focusing on business and political science and I do a lot of research and Iam constantly on the move so I don't mind paying a premium for having the lightest/thinnest computer possible :D the macbook air is perfect for me :D (iam upgrading form a mb btw)

Particular
Jan 27, 2008, 08:05 PM
The MacBook Air would be an excellent companion to your iMac I would definitely take the portability of the MBA given your situation. I reckon the MBA is really tailored to your demographic.

PDiPietro
Jan 27, 2008, 08:55 PM
The MacBook Air would be an excellent companion to your iMac I would definitely take the portability of the MBA given your situation. I reckon the MBA is really tailored to your demographic.

I repeat: the MacBook Air is NOT "tailored" to the college demographic.

That is MacBook (and MacBook Pro, for graphics/engineering students) territory. The ONLY advantage to purchasing a MacBook Air is to save two pounds of weight while sacrificing the ability to have a remotely powerful consumer laptop. This is good for businessmen and women who must bring all of their needs with them to their work or destination, and having a thin, viable machine with a low weight is useful.

If you live on campus, especially at a school with higher class sizes, you're bringing no more than one or two books to class, and perhaps none if it's a lecture course. Saving two pounds does nothing when you have little to carry. I myself commute to school -- one that has a smaller class size. For someone in my situation, I usually need to bring more books (the average careless student brings nothing, though, from what I see). However, assuming that like most commuting students, you have a car to get to school, you're not going to be carrying all of your books at once if you have a long day of classes.

I just leave my books I don't need in the car, go to a class or two, then drop them off in the car in the parking lot when I'm done -- only a short walk from the buildings. As a college student, it's usually not my laptop that adds any weight or thickness to my bag. It's the books themselves that add all of that weight and make the bag bulge a foot off of my back. The 1" MacBook is going to take up the space it takes up, and compared to the thickest part of the MacBook Air (.76", I believe), it's really not a significant difference.

Again, the bottom line is that the MacBook is THE best decision. This comes from a student that's used one extensively in and out of commute for over a year.

sbb155
Jan 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
All the people who are saying that the MBA is for business people as a second computer to give presentations, etc... Well guess what... I am a business type road warrior who does that stuff... and I thought this would be the perfect computer... until It came out... and now I cannot ever imagine buying it!!!

It is too big - same screen size as a MB. The thickness is irrelevant - at its thickest point it is similar to a MB. The overall weight - also not important because the MB itself is pretty low in weight...

It is WAY too underpowered. 4200 ipod hard drive? Not useful for presentations when having video, etc. One USB port? Awful - I use a mouse, mobile broadband, USB keys, presentation remotes, etc. Dongles for adapters? No ethernet? Very sketchy when on the road. It is bad enough carrying a MB mini DVI adapter, but having to carry one for ethernet also?? No way.

I use computers at a corporate level. Dropping 2grand is not a big deal at all. But I dont understand who in the heck the MBA is for. It is NOT for us road warrior types. way too many compromises when a deal is dependent on a presentation.. It is just not enough. This is regardless of price.

Now, others say it is a second computer for surfing, email, notetaking, etc. Come on - that is ridiculous. A PC laptop can do all of those things with no compromises, and if you give me the MAC fanboy crap about crashing, etc, you are wrong. It just doesnt happen with MS office and the usual business stuff for BASIC computer needs. The MB can do the these things better also.

I use both PCs and Macs. I love doing creative work on apple products. I usually take m MB on the road, not my small thinkpad. But the MBA? it is NOT what I want as a heavy corporate user or road warrior. I will stick with a MB until I can get a small MBP.

This thing does not meet our needs. And it is independent of price. Ironically, the 12" PB did everything we needed in a small package. Too bad they didnt make one of those with a SSD and an intel chip. I would buy 2 today. MBA - no. And none of my apple toting road warrior friends are considering it either. We are hugely let down.

kuwisdelu
Jan 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
Well, I'm also a college student who's been using my MacBook regularly (and taking it to class) every day this year.

I can definitely say that there's no way to definitively classify the MacBook or the MacBook Air as tailored for a college student or not. It still depends on the student and what you want/need. The MacBook Air may not be good for a student in your situation, but, personally, I think I'd find it very useful--especially if I had a secondary computer (like an iMac) to back it up.

I have to walk about a mile to and from campus, so I don't usually carry any books with me, just my computer and my notebooks. A regular MacBook vs. a MacBook Air is the difference between having the room/weight to bring a textbook or not. Right now, any books would just be too heavy to comfortably carry all the way from my off-campus apartment (and I don't have a car) and while having a textbook in class is usually completely unnecessary, sometimes I get those one or two hour breaks between lectures during which it would be nice to do homework....if I had a textbook.

So students may not be the target demographic for the MacBook Air, but that doesn't mean it can't be perfect for some of our needs. It's still really up to each person's own situation.

Oh--and as for the iPod Nano vs. Classic and the MacBook Air vs. MacBook drop....

Yes, they will fall at the same rate. It doesn't matter which is heavier for that. However, the OP is right that the lighter product will hit the ground with less force. It's called impulse, and it's the change in momentum of an object resulting from integrating an amount of force F exerted during a given time t. That is, [delta]mv = int(F*tdt). Both objects will obviously hit the ground in the same amount of time t if we're talking about impacting on the same surface, and both objects will hit with the same velocity v, so in each case the object's mass is proportional to the force involved in the impact.

Bottom line: the MacBook Air has about 40% less mass than the ordinary MacBook, so it will be subjected to about 40% less force. Remember that in figuring out how the drop will effect the hardware.

CRAZYBUBBA
Jan 27, 2008, 09:31 PM
As a college student i don't think that the air will meet my needs. I would recommend a macbook to you because it is small enough and much cheaper.

Luis
Jan 27, 2008, 09:45 PM
The midrange white Macbook is the best option. Upgrade the RAM and hard drive later down the road. I enjoyed taking notes using VoodooPad Lite (http://flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/voodoopadlite.html).

Is it only me or is that website not responding? I really want to see if that app is really worth it as they say, but I can't...

Diode
Jan 27, 2008, 09:47 PM
I just went through the same situation ... I'm a returning college student and I've got a new imac (the 2.4 not the 2.8 like you :p )

Anyways I wanted a laptop to tote to campus .... I decided on the macbook.

2 pounds won't make much of a difference, its probably more durable and it will "blend" in better on campus ... ie lots already have them on campus making you less of a target for thieves.

Not to mention the base macbook is a heck of a lot cheaper and will be fast enough to do everything you need to do on the go. No need for a large hard drive or a superdrive ... your imac already has those.

The only thing I'm doing in addition is I purchased some third party used ram (2GB) for $35 bucks ... should make a heck of a upgrade :-). Oh yea and I will be using either BusySync or SpanningSync to keep my calenders sync'd on the computers.

laremi
Jan 27, 2008, 10:40 PM
The air isn't crammed with super-duper-sized hard drives and processors, because it's all about portability. As for the longevity, you cannot assume that the MBA will not have a longer life because there is no data. Personally, I just sold my MacBook for a new Air, I use my computer only for school and trust me, 5 lbs can make even a short trip across campus seem like an eternity. As long as your not into video editing or heavy into gaming there is no reason to go MacBook. Plus, if you buy the MB and decide you want the MBA (or vise versa) you can always sell it for within $50 of it's original price. In fact, when I sold my MacBook I made $100 and it was a year old.
:apple:

jsystem
Jan 27, 2008, 11:07 PM
Id have to say the new macbook air is the worst mac ever. Im not saying its worse than others in the past what im saying is that at this moment in time. Anyone even remotely considering this laptop is completely ignorant/conceited. Compared to a macbook pro which is only 1/4 of an inch bigger (whoops did i just drive the macbook airs claim to fame into the ground?) and the regular macbooks are only about a 1/3 of inch bigger. Now onto the stats. They are complete bu11****. The processor is the same as in all the macbooks but with a worse speed. The air was origionally supposed to have the new 45nm chipsets designed to save battery and even allow apple to pump up the processing speed, but the air got stuck with a 65nm chip shoved into a slot designed for the 45 lol. Video card is ridiculous. 3500 gma grpahics is lame and most games for mac will not be able to run on these graphics (not compatible at all but that odesnt mean they arent bad). I could go on but i have some buisiness to take care of so ill try and end with a few comments. The macbook air is marketed as an ultraportable but it is far from it with a massive 13 inch screen (plus apple still hasnt gotten rid of those ugly oversized edges around the screen that are also on the regular macbooks and not on the pros). Also whats with the stupid gross black keys?

jsystem
Jan 27, 2008, 11:08 PM
All the people who are saying that the MBA is for business people as a second computer to give presentations, etc... Well guess what... I am a business type road warrior who does that stuff... and I thought this would be the perfect computer... until It came out... and now I cannot ever imagine buying it!!!

It is too big - same screen size as a MB. The thickness is irrelevant - at its thickest point it is similar to a MB. The overall weight - also not important because the MB itself is pretty low in weight...

It is WAY too underpowered. 4200 ipod hard drive? Not useful for presentations when having video, etc. One USB port? Awful - I use a mouse, mobile broadband, USB keys, presentation remotes, etc. Dongles for adapters? No ethernet? Very sketchy when on the road. It is bad enough carrying a MB mini DVI adapter, but having to carry one for ethernet also?? No way.

I use computers at a corporate level. Dropping 2grand is not a big deal at all. But I dont understand who in the heck the MBA is for. It is NOT for us road warrior types. way too many compromises when a deal is dependent on a presentation.. It is just not enough. This is regardless of price.

Now, others say it is a second computer for surfing, email, notetaking, etc. Come on - that is ridiculous. A PC laptop can do all of those things with no compromises, and if you give me the MAC fanboy crap about crashing, etc, you are wrong. It just doesnt happen with MS office and the usual business stuff for BASIC computer needs. The MB can do the these things better also.

I use both PCs and Macs. I love doing creative work on apple products. I usually take m MB on the road, not my small thinkpad. But the MBA? it is NOT what I want as a heavy corporate user or road warrior. I will stick with a MB until I can get a small MBP.

This thing does not meet our needs. And it is independent of price. Ironically, the 12" PB did everything we needed in a small package. Too bad they didnt make one of those with a SSD and an intel chip. I would buy 2 today. MBA - no. And none of my apple toting road warrior friends are considering it either. We are hugely let down.

finally someone with a freaking brain!!!

kuwisdelu
Jan 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
Oh lordy. Are we really going to do this again? Another MBA is a terrible computer rant?

I don't care if you don't like it, but don't insult everyone who does. Just because it isn't right for you doesn't mean it isn't right for anyone at all. I think that would be pretty conceited, don't you? The MBA makes some concessions that some people can't live without, and that some people don't find to be that big a deal. I can agree to disagree. But come on. It's a matter of taste and needs, and the MBA meets some people's needs and not others. It's worth it to some people and not others. That's all there is to it. I don't understand why some people feel a need to be "right" and call others "wrong," when it really isn't an argument of right or wrong...

I buy cheap, comfortable shoes, but do I go around complaining when other people find it worth it to spend hundreds of dollars on beautiful heels that are the most uncomfortable thing since walking on coals? People have different needs. That's why different kinds of computers exist.

Concorde Rules
Jan 28, 2008, 07:45 AM
The original poster has already made up their mind!

LOL

Well, I wasn't going to trawl through 120 posts to get to where he was.

I got straight to the point :p;)

ctt1wbw
Jan 28, 2008, 08:11 AM
Well, I need a laptop for school, and I'm, well STUCK!!! If I get macbook air, I would leave it at a standard configuration. if i get a macbook, it will be 2gb, 2.2ghz, 160gb, and well, color i dont know.

So basically if i get a macbook air it would be the cheapest i can get, and if i get a macbook, it would be ALMOST high end.

My real question is, which would be better for taking to school to type on and take notes, and take home and move the files to my imac for printing and homework? I like the portability of the macbook air, power, not so much, but I think i can get by it, since i cant get a 1.8ghz (dont ask why i cant). but that means ill get the macbook air only for school, and i can take it everywhere, and use it for web surfing, and due to the small HD size, there is really no use for putting my photos and music, and music wont sound good on its mono speakers anyway.

If i get a macbook, i can use it for school, I would have to care for it more cuz in my opinion, the heavier something is, the more fragile when you drop it (dropping a nano vs a classic). and i can put all my files on the macbook (well, almost all), and keep it for a very long time (2-4 years).

macbook air will be more convenient, but will have a shorter time span.

So all in all, what i think, is that the macbook air (yes, im repeating my self), will be more convenient, i dont mind no optical, nor a second usb port, but the mba will have a shorter life span.

the macbook air, a little heavier, is nice, isnt as slick as the mba (and if i get a macbook, i would have to wait for penryn), but will last longer, but i will use it more, but in less places.

so from that (btw, sorry for the lengthy post), i would use the mba more in its small life span, and the mb less in its longer life span.

and i already have an imac that I LOVE, and getting a macbook will start to get me comparing the two, but an mba just means that i will love my imac, and use my mba as just my second computer.

What do you think i should get?? sorry for the lengthy post.

P.S. for some reason i dont think i mentioned everything:p.

I'm kind of in that same situation. I already have a Dell laptop at the house which is only three months old. But when the Macbook Air came out, I wanted to get another Mac laptop very very badly. I had a G3 Wallstreet that lasted 6 or 7 years, so I knew about them.

I can get the education discount: 100 off the Air, or 200 off the base 15" Macbook Pro. Portability is a big deal, so I'm leaning towards the Air. But my eyesight is making me lean towards the Macbook Pro. Either way, I've got choices to make. I'd like to see the LED screen in person before I made a decision. My stepson has the black Macbook and the screen, frankly, stinks. It isn't bright at all.

ctt1wbw
Jan 28, 2008, 08:15 AM
Id have to say the new macbook air is the worst mac ever. Im not saying its worse than others in the past what im saying is that at this moment in time. Anyone even remotely considering this laptop is completely ignorant/conceited. Compared to a macbook pro which is only 1/4 of an inch bigger (whoops did i just drive the macbook airs claim to fame into the ground?) and the regular macbooks are only about a 1/3 of inch bigger. Now onto the stats. They are complete bu11****. The processor is the same as in all the macbooks but with a worse speed. The air was origionally supposed to have the new 45nm chipsets designed to save battery and even allow apple to pump up the processing speed, but the air got stuck with a 65nm chip shoved into a slot designed for the 45 lol. Video card is ridiculous. 3500 gma grpahics is lame and most games for mac will not be able to run on these graphics (not compatible at all but that odesnt mean they arent bad). I could go on but i have some buisiness to take care of so ill try and end with a few comments. The macbook air is marketed as an ultraportable but it is far from it with a massive 13 inch screen (plus apple still hasnt gotten rid of those ugly oversized edges around the screen that are also on the regular macbooks and not on the pros). Also whats with the stupid gross black keys?

The cpu in my two month old 17" Dell Inspiron is a C2D at 1.66 GHz. It runs very very fast. This also has the Intel GMA chip and I have no complaints. Now this stuff is pushing a 17" screen. I seriously doubt that the Macbook Air is going to be so slow that it will be unusable. From the videos I've seen on the Apple website, it seems very fast.

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 28, 2008, 08:20 AM
Did you read my post at all? I already have an imac, so your telling me i should get a macbook air and macbook at the same time

Get the air for a second computer then if you're certain you don't need the power and storage on the 'road'. :)

ctt1wbw
Jan 28, 2008, 08:25 AM
Again, an 80 gig drive is a lot. You still have 76 gigs available after the Leopard installation. That's a lot of space. If it starts getting tight, invest 50 bucks and get a high capacity USB thumb drive. Viola, more space.

tuneman07
Jan 31, 2008, 11:56 AM
The cpu in my two month old 17" Dell Inspiron is a C2D at 1.66 GHz. It runs very very fast. This also has the Intel GMA chip and I have no complaints. Now this stuff is pushing a 17" screen. I seriously doubt that the Macbook Air is going to be so slow that it will be unusable. From the videos I've seen on the Apple website, it seems very fast.

I'll bet you didn't pay 1700 for that computer with a 80gig 4800 RPM hard drive and no video card.

ctt1wbw
Jan 31, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'll bet you didn't pay 1700 for that computer with a 80gig 4800 RPM hard drive and no video card.

No, the Inspiron 1720 was almost 1500 the way I had it configured. But the Vostro and Lattitude lineup is more expensive. I fail to see the point?

Oh, you can't wait for the drive platter to spin around and get read by the read head on a 4200 rpm drive. That extra 1 millionth of a second means life and death by having a 5400 rpm drive, right? LOLOLOLOL

cliffardo2001
Jan 31, 2008, 01:03 PM
Yes, but i have a desktop, as ive said, i dont want to use one more than the other. i know its kinda dumb, but i would need to use my imac more (i got the 2.8 for a reason, one is for that). if i get an mba, i will only use it for what i intend to use it for. i dont plan on mice or anything, just a plain laptop. not a desktop replacement or anything.

EDIT: i should have made a poll:mad:

I think the MBA is perfect for your needs, then. You basically need a terminal to the internet for when your away from your main computer which is what you'll be using for processor intensive stuff.

I really see the MBA as a device that helps you get things done but not have to kill your back to do it.

Valansi
Jan 31, 2008, 01:09 PM
Mac book air is prob the worse piece of hardware that apple has ever came out with. It is smaller and less powerful than a macbook, but a macbook is pretty damn small already.

barkins
Jan 31, 2008, 01:15 PM
The MacBook is perfectly fine for school. When I was in college, I had a 15" MacBook Pro with me and it was perfectly fine. I've had classmates bring along their 17" MacBook Pros, no big deal.

Personally, if I had do it over, I'd probably get the MacBook simply because it is smaller than the Pro.

The difference in size between the Air and MacBook doesn't really count for anything, but the difference in getting the most for your buck does. :rolleyes:

polevault139
Jan 31, 2008, 01:44 PM
I'm in college right now and I have the 2.16 GHz Macbook with 2Gb of RAM. I was going to get the pro but saved my money and did all of the upgrades myself. I still had money left over to get an external mouse and keyboard along with a laptop stand, and I love it. I have never once taken my Macbook to class to take notes ( I am in a lot of science and math classes so it isn't very useful). Even when I am in classes where I could take notes with my laptop I find it easier to take notes by hand or download the powerpoint the professor gives, then if I need to re-type them into my computer, this way I see the material twice and remember it better. So my Macbook usually stays on my desk but it is always nice to be able to take it to the library or someone else's room when I need to.

So I say get a Macbook and you'll be happy with it.

tuneman07
Jan 31, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure where everyone is getting this "take your notebook to class" notion. I just graduated from college and in 4 years there I saw maybe 5 kids taking notes on their laptops. Everyone talks about note taking in class on their computers but no one does it.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 08:30 PM
As a student - get a refurb MacBook. Good value, way powerful enough, way small enough, lots of ports, dvd entertainment and if it gets lost/stolen/coke or beer spilled in it you won't want to do yourself harm...

Telp
Jan 31, 2008, 09:16 PM
Just going by what your saying, i would get the Air without looking back. Right now i want one and i have absolutely no use for it. Get the air, you wont be dissapointed i dont think.

tstarks33
Jan 31, 2008, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure where everyone is getting this "take your notebook to class" notion. I just graduated from college and in 4 years there I saw maybe 5 kids taking notes on their laptops. Everyone talks about note taking in class on their computers but no one does it.

Ha, you should come to a class of mine. 100% of the students are using laptops to take notes during lecture. To take notes, instant message, email... I cant' believe no one in your school uses their laptop for taking notes.

Anyway, to the OP, get a macbook like most people have said.

kuwisdelu
Jan 31, 2008, 10:01 PM

Wow, where did you go to school? I take my MacBook to class every day. There's always at least one other laptop out in all of my classes this semester. In my modern physics lecture, I sit in the back with about six other laptop users and we all share the only two working power outlets.

samh004
Jan 31, 2008, 10:36 PM
If I'm not too late to weigh in on this already, I think a MacBook is what you should buy. The trade off is really only that it is heavier. For that small extra weight you'll get a longer battery life (3.5 compared to 4.5 hours), a faster processor and more storage.

I personally think the increased battery life is what makes the MB more appealing, however increased storage will mean you'll be able to take more with you wherever you go, and the faster processor just means it's future-proof.

I also think in a busy school, you're more likely to damage the MBA than the MB. *snap*

bluedoggiant
Feb 1, 2008, 09:01 AM
For now, I think I will be getting a 2.2 macbook (not sure which color), But I'm gonna wait for Penryn. The Apple refurbished store has some good deals.

jsystem
Feb 1, 2008, 10:27 AM
The MacBook is perfectly fine for school. When I was in college, I had a 15" MacBook Pro with me and it was perfectly fine. I've had classmates bring along their 17" MacBook Pros, no big deal.

Personally, if I had do it over, I'd probably get the MacBook simply because it is smaller than the Pro.

The difference in size between the Air and MacBook doesn't really count for anything, but the difference in getting the most for your buck does. :rolleyes:
by the way the macbook pro is thinner than the regular macbooks by about 2 mm.

Valansi
Feb 1, 2008, 12:57 PM
Did anyone notice that apple stock dropped after they announced the macbook air.. I thought that was funny

bluedoggiant
Feb 1, 2008, 04:10 PM
Did anyone notice that apple stock dropped after they announced the macbook air.. I thought that was funny

Now its going back up :)

uber gorilla
Feb 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
As a university student in Australia, and being in a particularly fashionable faculty (Law, and I'm NOT being ironic), I saw it only fit to cash in on the MBA rather than the MB.

I guess the whole specs thing didn't really sway me that much in my choice. I was actually thinking about the MBP long before the MBA came on the scene, but I'm glad I held out coz the MBP would have just been overkill, and the regular MB just a little too "plain Jane" for my tastes. I've been working practically every day during my summer break (I still don't understand the concept of "holiday"...whatever that is!), so the cost-factor was not an issue either. I know the novelty of the new and shiny gadget will wear off in a matter of months (especially when Apple releases the next killer MBP), but after the hype has died down I will have myself a handy little lightweight computer that suits my needs (web, email, music and word-processing).

So, if anyone could care less about my opinion, I would say that if you like your stylish eye/arm candy, and don't have a problem with paying for something horribly overpriced (let's face it...), then go the MBA.

will.i.am
Feb 1, 2008, 06:30 PM
I would get a macbook even though i would prefer the light weight of a MBA, but the price difference help me make this decision.

neiltc13
Feb 1, 2008, 07:14 PM
As a university student in Australia, and being in a particularly fashionable faculty (Law, and I'm NOT being ironic), I saw it only fit to cash in on the MBA rather than the MB.

I guess the whole specs thing didn't really sway me that much in my choice. I was actually thinking about the MBP long before the MBA came on the scene, but I'm glad I held out coz the MBP would have just been overkill, and the regular MB just a little too "plain Jane" for my tastes. I've been working practically every day during my summer break (I still don't understand the concept of "holiday"...whatever that is!), so the cost-factor was not an issue either. I know the novelty of the new and shiny gadget will wear off in a matter of months (especially when Apple releases the next killer MBP), but after the hype has died down I will have myself a handy little lightweight computer that suits my needs (web, email, music and word-processing).

So, if anyone could care less about my opinion, I would say that if you like your stylish eye/arm candy, and don't have a problem with paying for something horribly overpriced (let's face it...), then go the MBA.

The Asus EEE PC is a fraction of the cost of the MacBook Air and would perform all of the tasks you outline here effortlessly. As for taking machines to class, EEE PC is also better suited to it because it is smaller and if you're sitting in a lecture, people sitting behind will be able to see over it and you won't block your view of the tutor so much.

I too am in the same boat as others in this topic - it's particularly rare to see anyone taking notes on a laptop in class and those that do tend to be the moronic show offs who pull out their MacBook Pros or Alienwares. I guess MacBook Air is the new "I have more money than sense" gadget.

uber gorilla
Feb 2, 2008, 12:44 AM
I too am in the same boat as others in this topic - it's particularly rare to see anyone taking notes on a laptop in class and those that do tend to be the moronic show offs who pull out their MacBook Pros or Alienwares. I guess MacBook Air is the new "I have more money than sense" gadget.

Granted, but in all seriousness of the students in my Law faculty about 70% are using laptops to take notes during lectures/tutorials, rather than the old manual handwritten way. So I'm not trying to be a moronic show-off (well, only partly...), but just being practical, since all I'll end up doing is double-dipping with my handwritten notes at the end of semester when I need to type them up into exam notes.

And, sure, I coulda satisfied my needs with something cheaper and smaller (but with a name like "EEE", I'll pass), and sometimes you just gotta be a slave to fashion. Ask Carson.

ctt1wbw
Feb 2, 2008, 06:25 AM
I go to ITT Tech here in Norfolk and lots of people have laptops for class. Many of them are in the gaming and web design areas and use their laptops extensively. And seeing as how the 10 computers they have in the library for student use are always used, and slower than all hell, I can see why many carry their laptops to school.

neiltc13
Feb 2, 2008, 06:56 AM
I go to ITT Tech here in Norfolk and lots of people have laptops for class. Many of them are in the gaming and web design areas and use their laptops extensively. And seeing as how the 10 computers they have in the library for student use are always used, and slower than all hell, I can see why many carry their laptops to school.

Our University library has hundreds of machines and there are extensive facilities, including a bunch of iMacs for student use along with Core 2 Duo gaming machines for game development.

I was under the impression that US universities with their insane amount of funding would be able to keep up.

yoppie
Feb 2, 2008, 07:00 AM

I wish grad school was like that. Everyone takes notes on their laptop here, it's basically a requirement.

On topic: Go with the MacBook, it's much better suited for a college environment IMO.

ctt1wbw
Feb 2, 2008, 08:20 AM
Our University library has hundreds of machines and there are extensive facilities, including a bunch of iMacs for student use along with Core 2 Duo gaming machines for game development.

I was under the impression that US universities with their insane amount of funding would be able to keep up.

Yeah, the ITT Tech campuses are not large Universites or colleges. They are rather small, with only about 10-15 students in each class. The whole school is in one building. I kind of like that small feeling. I am also not required to hike large distances to other school houses there, either. But still, they need new computers in the library.

neiltc13
Feb 2, 2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, the ITT Tech campuses are not large Universites or colleges. They are rather small, with only about 10-15 students in each class. The whole school is in one building. I kind of like that small feeling. I am also not required to hike large distances to other school houses there, either. But still, they need new computers in the library.

Our University is the smallest in the UK I believe at just 5000 students or thereabouts.

walker1410
Feb 2, 2008, 11:17 AM
The MacBook Air's backlit keyboard might be really nice for working in dark coffee shops or in any dark place for that matter. I have a 17" Core Duo MacBook Pro and I love the backlit keyboard.

Mushrooshi
Feb 10, 2008, 09:19 PM
I don't see why a backlit keyboard is so good when you can just use the light from the LCD, and why not learn to touch type?

Also, Id go for the Macbook. Macbook air is too overpriced, too expensive, too little power, and honestly the macbook is sexier than the macbook air.

Oh, and yea, I agree with the "I have more money than sense" thing.

I totally forgot about the Eee.

Get an Eee instead. Afterall, it IS notetaking, amirite?

Or get an iPhone.

Or just get a Modbook if you really have hte money for an air.

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

Flyer0815
Feb 10, 2008, 09:23 PM
I don't see why a backlit keyboard is so good when you can just use the light from the LCD, and why not learn to touch type?

Also, Id go for the Macbook. Macbook air is too overpriced, too expensive, too little power, and honestly the macbook is sexier than the macbook air.

To each their own... but I think the overwhelming majority would conclude that the MBA is a stunning piece of equipment. For those who actually own a MBP or MBA or even PB with the backlit keyboard... it's just not possible to go back to a non backlit keyboard. I have found it so useful when taking notes in conference rooms and auditoriums. I don't think I could buy a notebook without it in the future.... This was one feature I was quite impressed with on the MBA. The black keys and backlight are a very nice combo on the MBA.