Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valansi

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
Mac book air is prob the worse piece of hardware that apple has ever came out with. It is smaller and less powerful than a macbook, but a macbook is pretty damn small already.

barkins

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Encino, CA
The MacBook is perfectly fine for school. When I was in college, I had a 15" MacBook Pro with me and it was perfectly fine. I've had classmates bring along their 17" MacBook Pros, no big deal.

Personally, if I had do it over, I'd probably get the MacBook simply because it is smaller than the Pro.

The difference in size between the Air and MacBook doesn't really count for anything, but the difference in getting the most for your buck does. :rolleyes:

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
I'm in college right now and I have the 2.16 GHz Macbook with 2Gb of RAM. I was going to get the pro but saved my money and did all of the upgrades myself. I still had money left over to get an external mouse and keyboard along with a laptop stand, and I love it. I have never once taken my Macbook to class to take notes ( I am in a lot of science and math classes so it isn't very useful). Even when I am in classes where I could take notes with my laptop I find it easier to take notes by hand or download the powerpoint the professor gives, then if I need to re-type them into my computer, this way I see the material twice and remember it better. So my Macbook usually stays on my desk but it is always nice to be able to take it to the library or someone else's room when I need to.

So I say get a Macbook and you'll be happy with it.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I'm not sure where everyone is getting this "take your notebook to class" notion. I just graduated from college and in 4 years there I saw maybe 5 kids taking notes on their laptops. Everyone talks about note taking in class on their computers but no one does it.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
As a student - get a refurb MacBook. Good value, way powerful enough, way small enough, lots of ports, dvd entertainment and if it gets lost/stolen/coke or beer spilled in it you won't want to do yourself harm...

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Just going by what your saying, i would get the Air without looking back. Right now i want one and i have absolutely no use for it. Get the air, you wont be dissapointed i dont think.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I'm not sure where everyone is getting this "take your notebook to class" notion. I just graduated from college and in 4 years there I saw maybe 5 kids taking notes on their laptops. Everyone talks about note taking in class on their computers but no one does it.

Ha, you should come to a class of mine. 100% of the students are using laptops to take notes during lecture. To take notes, instant message, email... I cant' believe no one in your school uses their laptop for taking notes.

Anyway, to the OP, get a macbook like most people have said.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008

Wow, where did you go to school? I take my MacBook to class every day. There's always at least one other laptop out in all of my classes this semester. In my modern physics lecture, I sit in the back with about six other laptop users and we all share the only two working power outlets.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
If I'm not too late to weigh in on this already, I think a MacBook is what you should buy. The trade off is really only that it is heavier. For that small extra weight you'll get a longer battery life (3.5 compared to 4.5 hours), a faster processor and more storage.

I personally think the increased battery life is what makes the MB more appealing, however increased storage will mean you'll be able to take more with you wherever you go, and the faster processor just means it's future-proof.

I also think in a busy school, you're more likely to damage the MBA than the MB. *snap*

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
For now, I think I will be getting a 2.2 macbook (not sure which color), But I'm gonna wait for Penryn. The Apple refurbished store has some good deals.

jsystem

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
The MacBook is perfectly fine for school. When I was in college, I had a 15" MacBook Pro with me and it was perfectly fine. I've had classmates bring along their 17" MacBook Pros, no big deal.

Personally, if I had do it over, I'd probably get the MacBook simply because it is smaller than the Pro.

The difference in size between the Air and MacBook doesn't really count for anything, but the difference in getting the most for your buck does. :rolleyes:
by the way the macbook pro is thinner than the regular macbooks by about 2 mm.

Valansi

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
Did anyone notice that apple stock dropped after they announced the macbook air.. I thought that was funny

uber gorilla

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Style over substance

As a university student in Australia, and being in a particularly fashionable faculty (Law, and I'm NOT being ironic), I saw it only fit to cash in on the MBA rather than the MB.

I guess the whole specs thing didn't really sway me that much in my choice. I was actually thinking about the MBP long before the MBA came on the scene, but I'm glad I held out coz the MBP would have just been overkill, and the regular MB just a little too "plain Jane" for my tastes. I've been working practically every day during my summer break (I still don't understand the concept of "holiday"...whatever that is!), so the cost-factor was not an issue either. I know the novelty of the new and shiny gadget will wear off in a matter of months (especially when Apple releases the next killer MBP), but after the hype has died down I will have myself a handy little lightweight computer that suits my needs (web, email, music and word-processing).

So, if anyone could care less about my opinion, I would say that if you like your stylish eye/arm candy, and don't have a problem with paying for something horribly overpriced (let's face it...), then go the MBA.

will.i.am

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
I would get a macbook even though i would prefer the light weight of a MBA, but the price difference help me make this decision.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
As a university student in Australia, and being in a particularly fashionable faculty (Law, and I'm NOT being ironic), I saw it only fit to cash in on the MBA rather than the MB.

I guess the whole specs thing didn't really sway me that much in my choice. I was actually thinking about the MBP long before the MBA came on the scene, but I'm glad I held out coz the MBP would have just been overkill, and the regular MB just a little too "plain Jane" for my tastes. I've been working practically every day during my summer break (I still don't understand the concept of "holiday"...whatever that is!), so the cost-factor was not an issue either. I know the novelty of the new and shiny gadget will wear off in a matter of months (especially when Apple releases the next killer MBP), but after the hype has died down I will have myself a handy little lightweight computer that suits my needs (web, email, music and word-processing).

So, if anyone could care less about my opinion, I would say that if you like your stylish eye/arm candy, and don't have a problem with paying for something horribly overpriced (let's face it...), then go the MBA.

The Asus EEE PC is a fraction of the cost of the MacBook Air and would perform all of the tasks you outline here effortlessly. As for taking machines to class, EEE PC is also better suited to it because it is smaller and if you're sitting in a lecture, people sitting behind will be able to see over it and you won't block your view of the tutor so much.

I too am in the same boat as others in this topic - it's particularly rare to see anyone taking notes on a laptop in class and those that do tend to be the moronic show offs who pull out their MacBook Pros or Alienwares. I guess MacBook Air is the new "I have more money than sense" gadget.

uber gorilla

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I too am in the same boat as others in this topic - it's particularly rare to see anyone taking notes on a laptop in class and those that do tend to be the moronic show offs who pull out their MacBook Pros or Alienwares. I guess MacBook Air is the new "I have more money than sense" gadget.

Granted, but in all seriousness of the students in my Law faculty about 70% are using laptops to take notes during lectures/tutorials, rather than the old manual handwritten way. So I'm not trying to be a moronic show-off (well, only partly...), but just being practical, since all I'll end up doing is double-dipping with my handwritten notes at the end of semester when I need to type them up into exam notes.

And, sure, I coulda satisfied my needs with something cheaper and smaller (but with a name like "EEE", I'll pass), and sometimes you just gotta be a slave to fashion. Ask Carson.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I go to ITT Tech here in Norfolk and lots of people have laptops for class. Many of them are in the gaming and web design areas and use their laptops extensively. And seeing as how the 10 computers they have in the library for student use are always used, and slower than all hell, I can see why many carry their laptops to school.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I go to ITT Tech here in Norfolk and lots of people have laptops for class. Many of them are in the gaming and web design areas and use their laptops extensively. And seeing as how the 10 computers they have in the library for student use are always used, and slower than all hell, I can see why many carry their laptops to school.

Our University library has hundreds of machines and there are extensive facilities, including a bunch of iMacs for student use along with Core 2 Duo gaming machines for game development.

I was under the impression that US universities with their insane amount of funding would be able to keep up.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007

I wish grad school was like that. Everyone takes notes on their laptop here, it's basically a requirement.

On topic: Go with the MacBook, it's much better suited for a college environment IMO.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Our University library has hundreds of machines and there are extensive facilities, including a bunch of iMacs for student use along with Core 2 Duo gaming machines for game development.

I was under the impression that US universities with their insane amount of funding would be able to keep up.

Yeah, the ITT Tech campuses are not large Universites or colleges. They are rather small, with only about 10-15 students in each class. The whole school is in one building. I kind of like that small feeling. I am also not required to hike large distances to other school houses there, either. But still, they need new computers in the library.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Yeah, the ITT Tech campuses are not large Universites or colleges. They are rather small, with only about 10-15 students in each class. The whole school is in one building. I kind of like that small feeling. I am also not required to hike large distances to other school houses there, either. But still, they need new computers in the library.

Our University is the smallest in the UK I believe at just 5000 students or thereabouts.

walker1410

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Back Lit Keyboard

The MacBook Air's backlit keyboard might be really nice for working in dark coffee shops or in any dark place for that matter. I have a 17" Core Duo MacBook Pro and I love the backlit keyboard.

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
I don't see why a backlit keyboard is so good when you can just use the light from the LCD, and why not learn to touch type?

Also, Id go for the Macbook. Macbook air is too overpriced, too expensive, too little power, and honestly the macbook is sexier than the macbook air.

Oh, and yea, I agree with the "I have more money than sense" thing.

I totally forgot about the Eee.

Get an Eee instead. Afterall, it IS notetaking, amirite?

Or get an iPhone.

Or just get a Modbook if you really have hte money for an air.

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
I don't see why a backlit keyboard is so good when you can just use the light from the LCD, and why not learn to touch type?

Also, Id go for the Macbook. Macbook air is too overpriced, too expensive, too little power, and honestly the macbook is sexier than the macbook air.

To each their own... but I think the overwhelming majority would conclude that the MBA is a stunning piece of equipment. For those who actually own a MBP or MBA or even PB with the backlit keyboard... it's just not possible to go back to a non backlit keyboard. I have found it so useful when taking notes in conference rooms and auditoriums. I don't think I could buy a notebook without it in the future.... This was one feature I was quite impressed with on the MBA. The black keys and backlight are a very nice combo on the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.