PDA

View Full Version : A friend is giving me a PowerMac G4 ...

HawaiiMacAddict
Jan 27, 2008, 07:48 PM
Aloha everyone,

My coworker is giving me his old PowerMac G4 because his wife wants it out of their house, and because it also needs a new power supply. Can anyone here recommend a good place to purchase one online? I'm not sure which PowerMac G4 it is, but will be picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

HawaiiMacAddict

errol
Jan 27, 2008, 08:18 PM
Aloha everyone,

My coworker is giving me his old PowerMac G4 because his wife wants it out of their house, and because it also needs a new power supply. Can anyone here recommend a good place to purchase one online? I'm not sure which PowerMac G4 it is, but will be picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

HawaiiMacAddict

I would definitely go the newegg.com route but some Power supplies are hard to find, especially for the mirror G4.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 27, 2008, 11:18 PM
expect to pay $100+ for the MDD PSU. what does it look like? you can get them relatively cheap for any other G4 mac.

HawaiiMacAddict
Jan 27, 2008, 11:39 PM
Aloha everyone,

I found one place online, but their price was $220! The price varies, depending on the amount of power desired and the type of G4. I won't know anything else about it until tomorrow, when my coworker give it to me. I'll let y'all know more tomorrow. My wife will be taking her current computer, my old PC, to Vietnam to give to her cousin, and my "new" PowerMac G4 will replace that PC in our house. I'm now one step closer to an all-Mac household hehehe :D

Now, if I can only convince my brother-in-law to switch hmmmmmmm :D

HawaiiMacAddict

ma2ha3
Jan 28, 2008, 03:23 AM
pls. that is an ancient piece of equipment.
use DIY tools, cut out the apple stuffs.
Put in the osx86 compatible stuffs. Throw in a QUAD 2 core processor. you can run os x 1.5 happy for years to come.

HawaiiMacAddict
Jan 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
Aloha ma2ha3,

Just out of curiosity, are you Chinese or Vietnamese? Your screen name looks like a transliteration of an Asian language. To answer your question, I wanted to get the G4 up and running with as little expenditure as possible, but also looking to getting good use of it for the forseeable future. That being said, I don't yet have a dedicated "use" for it, other than as an online game platform for the nieces/nephew (online games such as those found on the Disney Playhouse website :D)

OrangeSVTguy, I just made the switch from the "Dark Side" in August 2006, so I really know nothing of the various differences between the three primary PM G4 models, but have seen a picture of a MDD setup with the side down. That power supply looks like it takes up the entire top portion of the case - the HDD/optical drives look as if they're a little bit lower down than in the Yikes! model, but I'm not sure about that. You mentioned that you know of places to get a power supply for a decent price (other than for the MDD model) - can I get the URL from you please (if other than eBay)? Shipping may be an issue, as I'm in Hawaii, but I'm used to that by now :o

Thanks again for your responses,

HawaiiMacAddict

SilverL
Jan 28, 2008, 11:29 AM
I have a Dual 1GHz MDD power supply for sale if you are interested.
Shoot me a PM.
Cheers!

ctango
Jan 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
expect to pay $100+ for the MDD PSU. what does it look like? you can get them relatively cheap for any other G4 mac.

The price difference would be for the Apple Cinema Displays built-in power. Apple shifted power supplies for about 2 or 3 years, so you really have to get the model and current type of power supply to get a good price. If you are lucky yours will cost about $125, if you aren't then it will be around $225. I'm sure there are some DIY instructions for converting the old G4 power supplies from standard supplies.

Roy
Jan 28, 2008, 04:26 PM
Aloha everyone,

Thanks in advance,

HawaiiMacAddict

This is definitely a gift that is not free. I have a G4 that is 7 years old, runs OS 10.4.11, and runs like a charm. But if the power supply or something else major went wrong with it, then out the door it would go and I think that is what your coworker is "giving" you.

Once you replace the power supply, how much more are you willing to spend on replacing old hardware, when the next thing breaks?

9Charms
Jan 29, 2008, 12:39 AM
http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ATX_G4_AGP_conversion/G4_AGP_to_ATX_case_pg2.htm

Those guys at xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX//systems.html) have really in-depth articles for the sort of stuff.

HawaiiMacAddict
Jan 29, 2008, 10:31 AM
Aloha 9Charms,

Thank you for your reply. I completely forgot about xlr8yourmac.com - thanks for the reminder! I've only been a Mac user for the past 1 1/2 years, so I put the question up on this forum to get y'alls thinking. I can certainly find places on the net that will sell me most anything, but I value the recommendations of Mac users over some company's website.

Thanks again,

HawaiiMacAddict

HawaiiMacAddict
Jan 31, 2008, 01:26 AM
Aloha everyone,

I got my "new" PowerMac G4 yesterday, but it will be a little while before it gets fired up for good. I have to replace the CDRW drive with a DVDRW-DL drive and replace the Zip drive. I've attached some pics of it - I think it's the Graphite "Mystic" Gigabit Ethernet model. It has dual 450-MHz CPUs, 768MB RAM, and a SCSI card of some sort. Everything works, but it's running Mac OS X 10.2.9 - I may have to get Tiger on CDs, but I'll run Tiger on it for a while after I bump up the RAM and get a keyboard for it (my PC keyboard is PS2, so like Windows it is useless). The power supply is still ticking - apparently a friend of my coworker thought it was dead, bought another G4 to replace it, then gave it to my coworker for parts. My coworker's G4 has yet to die, so I am the latest lucky recipient of this awesome computer. Ever since I started looking at Apple designs I wanted to get a G4, and now I have one! Let me know what y'all think.

HawaiiMacAddict

Roy
Jan 31, 2008, 09:56 AM
On the outside it looks identical to my G4 466 Digital Audio.

Looking at the date on the back of your computer, this looks to be the one here:
http://www.apple-history.com/

Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/g4_2.jpg

CPU
CPU: PowerPC 7400
CPU Speed: 400/2x450/2x500 MHz
FPU: integrated
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Data Path: 64 bit
ROM: 1 MB ROM + 3 MB toolbox ROM loaded into RAM
RAM Type: PC100
Minimum RAM Speed: 100 MHz
Onboard RAM: 0 MB
RAM slots: 4
Maximum RAM: 2 GB (1.5 in OS 9)
Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction
Level 2 Cache: 1 MB backside, 1:2
Expansion Slots: 3 64-bit 33 MHz PCI, 1 2x AGP (filled)

Video
Video Card/Chipset: ATI RAGE 128 Pro
VRAM: 16 MB
Max Resolution: all resolutions supported
Video Out: VGA/DVI, ADC

Storage
Hard Drive: 20/30/40 GB
ATA Bus: ATA-66
Zip Drive: optional
Optical Drive: DVD-ROM/RAM

Input/Output
USB: 2
Firewire: 2
Audio Out: stereo 16 bit mini
Audio In: stereo 16 bit mini
Speaker: mono

Networking
Modem: 56 kbps
Ethernet: 10/100/1000Base-T
Airport: optional

Miscellaneous
Codename: Mystic
Gestalt ID: 406
Power: 338 Watts
Dimensions: 17" H x 8.9" W x 18.4" D
Weight: 30 lbs.
Maximum OS: 10.4.11
Minimum OS: 9.0.4
Introduced: August 2000
Terminated: January 2001
http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/g4_exp.jpgAnnounced in July 2000, the PowerMac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) added dual-processor power to the G4 line. Available with a single 400 MHz G4, or dual 450 or 500 MHz G4s, The new PowerMac G4 also included onboard 1000Base-T Ethernet as standard equipment, an industry first.
The PowerMac G4 (GE) shipped in three configurations: The single-processor 400 MHz configuration included 64 MB of RAM and 20 GB hard drive, for $1599. The dual-processor 450 MHz configuration included 128 MB of RAM and a 30 GB hard drive for $2499. Finally, the dual-processor 500 MHz configuration included 256 MB of RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, and a DVD-RAM drive, for $3499. All configurations included a 56 kbps modem, Apple's Pro Mouse, and the innovative new Apple Display Connector (ADC) which passed video, power, and USB to new Apple Monitors from a single connection.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:02 AM
wow that's exactly identical as my so called "sawtooth" heh! after reading i guess it's a GE then:confused: since it's got the dual 500mhz. well just the motherboard is identical since the rest is pretty much modded:p

it's a great system and i love mine.

edit:
thanks Roy for that info. i just noticed that mine indeed is a gigabit ethernet. it has 1000bt on the label.

now OP, if you plan on upgrading, get a ati 9800 pro video card, max out the ram and get a usb 2.0 pci card. and it will run like a champ.

HawaiiMacAddict
Jan 31, 2008, 12:32 PM
Aloha everyone,

I thought it was the Gigabit Ethernet model, but as it doesn't have a DVD drive, I wasn't quite sure. I mean, if it comes with a DVD drive, why take that out and put in a CDRW? Oh well, I may be able to get some RAM on the cheap from another coworker (he ordered the wrong speed of RAM and it may be the right kind for mine :D), but that was actually the first thing I planned on doing anyway. I'll worry about the video and CPU later as I can run Tiger on it the way it is (even with only 768MB of RAM - although it will probably be on the slow side). Actually, it is quite "snappy" except when downloading a webpage - that was one of the only "slow" activities I've put it through. I still need to get a Mac keyboard for it, but for now I'll "rob Peter to pay Paul" - use the keyboard from my iMac.

HawaiiMacAddict

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 31, 2008, 12:40 PM
it is a gigabit ethernet. it says 1000BT and it also states dvd-rom on the back of your computer so it was replaced or swapped. guess someone needed a cd burner more then a dvd drive. also you can remove your zip drive if you won't plan on using it.

oh and the real shocker.... "Finally, the dual-processor 500 MHz configuration included 256 MB of RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, and a DVD-RAM drive, for $3499" :eek:

HawaiiMacAddict
Feb 1, 2008, 08:42 PM
Aloha OrangeSVTguy,

I have a 30GB HDD inside, but will get a spare 80GB HDD today from work (they were going to be recycled, so I was able to get one), and I was also able to get 2GB of RAM, so after I get a new DVD drive I should be good to go. Sometime in the future, I will be upgrading the video card and CPU, but once the new DVD drive is installed, I will at least be able to load Tiger (I also got Tiger on DVD).

One question on the DVD drive - as long as it's ATAPI (IDE), I can just stick it in and be good to go, right? Oh, and once I remove the Zip drive, where can I get another bezel to replace the Zip drive bezel? I'll try some sites I've used for research in the past, but I haven't been searching for bezels.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

JesterJJZ
Feb 1, 2008, 09:10 PM
I still have my dual 500. Works great, still use it for random things from time to time.

Eric Lewis
Feb 1, 2008, 09:13 PM
i have a powerbook g4 tit...runs amazinly well

tiger + iwork + office 04...amazing!

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 1, 2008, 11:20 PM
Aloha OrangeSVTguy,

I have a 30GB HDD inside, but will get a spare 80GB HDD today from work (they were going to be recycled, so I was able to get one), and I was also able to get 2GB of RAM, so after I get a new DVD drive I should be good to go. Sometime in the future, I will be upgrading the video card and CPU, but once the new DVD drive is installed, I will at least be able to load Tiger (I also got Tiger on DVD).

One question on the DVD drive - as long as it's ATAPI (IDE), I can just stick it in and be good to go, right? Oh, and once I remove the Zip drive, where can I get another bezel to replace the Zip drive bezel? I'll try some sites I've used for research in the past, but I haven't been searching for bezels.

cool that you got free memory, it's really expensive for these machines! yeah any type of ide dvd should work, even one from a pc. you can install a hdd in place of the zip if you want. i'll give you the bezel for just shipping costs if you want it.

HawaiiMacAddict
Feb 2, 2008, 01:59 AM
Aloha OrangeSVTguy,

I'll send you a PM - thanks for the offer of the bezel. I've attached my first screenshot showing successful loading of Tiger on my "new" PMG4 GE!!! This is really nice - at least it's a darn sight better than 10.2.9!

I've almost completed installing the Mac OS X Update Combined (PowerPC), so I have to go before the reboot. Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll post more and my G4 project continues. Tomorrow I'm probably going to get a DVD burner!

kellen
Feb 2, 2008, 02:52 AM
Nice. Picked up the same model a couple of months ago for an extra desktop mac computer. Guy was selling them for 50 each, bought two. Both loaded with over a gig each of ram, dvd burners in each and airport cards. Sold the second one for 150 on craigslist.

Tiger runs great on it. Only thing I would recommend is a USB 2.0 pci card. Took me 3 times to get one that worked.

Also you probably have the rage 128 pro in there, I would look for a replacement if you are keeping it and using it.

Good luck!

HawaiiMacAddict
Feb 2, 2008, 10:50 AM
Aloha kellen,

I do have the ATI Rage128 16MB VRAM card, but won't be replacing it anytime soon. My wife doesn't want to spend too much money on it, so we'll just get a Mac keyboard and DVD burner for now. I would like to eventually uograde both the CPU and video card, but we're talking at least $385, and at most $705 or so at most. That's like buying an 8-year old Mac mini. I'm just going to get the keyboard and DVD burner and enjoy Tiger on my vintage PowerMac G4.

HawaiiMacAddict
Feb 2, 2008, 12:24 PM
Aloha everyone,

Please permit me one last screenshot of the "About This Mac" window - I've successfully updated my G4 to 10.4.11! Life is good!

HawaiiMacAddict

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 2, 2008, 12:53 PM
Anakin Skywalker... that's funny

HawaiiMacAddict
Feb 2, 2008, 01:31 PM
Aloha OrangeSVTguy,

I have a whole Star Wars kind of thing going on with the Mac side of my network (I have a mixed network, as my brother-in-law only uses PCs and my new G4 hasn't yet completely replaced my wife's PC). My Mac network is:

R2-D2: 20" Core Duo iMac
Qui-Gon Jinn: 15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
C-3PO: iPhone 8GB
Obi Wan Kenobi: MyBook 500GB external HDD
Anakin Skywalker: PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 2x450 MHz PPC

... and my wireless network is called iWorld. My plan is to also get my brother-in-law to switch from his PCs to Macs, then replace my Linksys WRT54G with a new Time Capsule - of course, I have to bring my wife onboard as well, which will definitely take longer than I want hehehe :D

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 2, 2008, 02:11 PM
until they cross over from the dark side. set them up as darth vader and darth maul :D

AlexMaximus
Feb 2, 2008, 02:53 PM
Aloha OrangeSVTguy,

I have a whole Star Wars kind of thing going on with the Mac side of my network (I have a mixed network, as my brother-in-law only uses PCs and my new G4 hasn't yet completely replaced my wife's PC). My Mac network is:

R2-D2: 20" Core Duo iMac
Qui-Gon Jinn: 15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
C-3PO: iPhone 8GB
Obi Wan Kenobi: MyBook 500GB external HDD
Anakin Skywalker: PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 2x450 MHz PPC

... and my wireless network is called iWorld. My plan is to also get my brother-in-law to switch from his PCs to Macs, then replace my Linksys WRT54G with a new Time Capsule - of course, I have to bring my wife onboard as well, which will definitely take longer than I want hehehe :D

Congratulation and a warm welcome to the PowerMac G4 Premium Club.

Just in case if you still need an original Apple G4 keyboard, I would donate one for you for the shipping cost of it. Drop me a line and you'll have it.

I am very happy with my G4 MDD Dual. The best and fastest machine I ever
had. If you want to do things right, get a cheap SATA card and the brand new Raptor 10K HD drive as a boot disk.......
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

HawaiiMacAddict
Feb 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
Aloha AlexMaximus,

I would take you up on your very kind offer, but I convinced my wife that I really needed the new wired Apple keyboard instead :D I really, really LOVE the new keyboard! The "old" white keyboard that originally came with my iMac is now hooked up to the G4, along with a, gulp, Microsoft mouse. Actually, the only thing I thought that Microsoft did well was their hardware - specifically keyboards and mice.

The computer is a little bit slow on the web, which I'll attribute to the meager CPU and video card I still have, but that issue should be rectified sometime in the (hopefully near) future. I just ordered an internal DVD writer from OWC, and even with the $16 shipping costs, it's still cheaper than the two being sold at Circuit City. We're really having a hard time now, what with CompUSA closing - the Navy Exchange at Pearl Harbor, the Hickam BXtra, Best Buy, and COSTCO all do not carry DVD writers. I guess that us out here in Hawaii will just have to resort to online-only orders. :(

HawaiiMacAddict

honda333
Apr 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hey , I have a G4 power PC just like the one pictured by another individual on this forum. My specs are as follows: 733Mhz, 512mb, 60GIG HD, OS 10.3 Panther. My question, is it true that I can up the RAM to 2.gig, if I am running OS 10.4? Also, I am trying to make it wireless, so that I can tap on to the lynksys router I have down stairs. I don't want to run 100' of Ethernet cord down stairs. Recently, I purchased Hawkings wireless card, it looks kinda like a flash drive. I am sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it wouldn't fit properly into the USB, located on the back of the computer, because the card is a little too wide, it hits the bottom of the edge of trim. My roommate gave me an USB extension so that I could then plug the card into the end of the cord, then the other end into the USB slot....It didn't even light the little LED, little own transmit. The Apple just kept saying that there was not connection. So, my next step was to buy a USB hub, which will be plugged in for more power, because I even tried to plug the wireless adapter into the side of my keyboard, and a window popped up telling me "not enough power." Any one out there, help me!!!

HawaiiMacAddict
Apr 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
Aloha honda333,

You asked two questions, the first about RAM and the second about your USB WiFi device. In that order, here's what I can offer:

1. Yes, as long as your memory is either PC100 or PC133, you can up your RAM to 2GB. I have a Gigabit Ethernet PMG4 (2x 450MHz), but one of the first things I did was to max out the RAM. That's one of the cheapest ways to speed up your computer.

2. The problem is that your WiFi device is USB 2.0 while the ports on your PowerMac is only USB 1.1, a less-powerful version of USB. The best thing for you to do, most likely, is to purchase a 3rd party USB 2.0 card for your computer. They are reasonably cheap and normally have four USB ports on the card. You simply are not getting enough power for your device.

HawaiiMacAddict

krye
Apr 7, 2008, 03:26 PM
Lucky. I can't think of anything more awesome than scoring a free Mac!