PDA

View Full Version : List: Apple Stores with MBA units and/or demo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DVNIEL
Jan 31, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure if this was established yet. But this is for those that do not want to wait for FedEX and would rather hold the MBA in their hand before pulling the trigger. I'm sure a lot of you are calling, post here of what responses you get.

As of Wednesday 01/30/08
- All major Bay Area, CA stores have none
- Flagship stores Walnut Creek and San Francisco report that a demo unit is indeed coming, but unsure of whether sales will begin this week

bidwalj
Jan 31, 2008, 12:38 AM
add socal to that list as well. Sherman oaks, northridge, santa monica all dont have any demos or stock.

I'm not sure if this was established yet. But this is for those that do not want to wait for FedEX and would rather hold the MBA in their hand before pulling the trigger. I'm sure a lot of you are calling, post here of what responses you get.

As of Wednesday 01/30/08
- All major Bay Area, CA stores have none
- Flagship stores Walnut Creek and San Francisco report that a demo unit is indeed coming, but unsure of whether sales will begin this week

weeman
Jan 31, 2008, 12:48 AM
Add Brea, South Coast, Irvine Spectrum, and Fashion Island to the list (As of closing on 01/30)

I received confirmation from my university computer store that they have a shipment of apple products coming in tomorrow and they will go on sale on Friday. Also, the Fashion Island store told me Friday is the day.

The other 3 stores however, have no idea with responses ranging from "Mid Februrary" to "I don't know"

DVNIEL
Jan 31, 2008, 09:35 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread for our East Coast congregation...

What are the Apple Stores saying there this morning over there?

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 09:53 AM
I should know soon when the store guy calls me. Im in Atlanta. Got a no go call for today, yesterday. Shouldnt be too long before I get one for tomorrow.

netdog
Jan 31, 2008, 10:36 AM
Regent Street flagship store in London said "anytime in the next two weeks" on the phone this morning. Sounded like a canned response.

skyrider007
Jan 31, 2008, 10:46 AM
Regent Street flagship store in London said "anytime in the next two weeks" on the phone this morning. Sounded like a canned response.

The prices at that store is abysmal!

netdog
Jan 31, 2008, 10:51 AM
The prices at that store is abysmal!

Huh? They are the same as at any other Apple Store or at apple.com/ukstore

skyrider007
Jan 31, 2008, 10:56 AM
Huh? They are the same as at any other Apple Store or at apple.com/ukstore

I buy Mac products from the online Higher Education Store :) As for accessories, Amazon.co.uk is the best!

netdog
Jan 31, 2008, 10:59 AM
I buy Mac products from the online Higher Education Store :) As for accessories, Amazon.co.uk is the best!

You can get HE prices at Regent Street with your school ID.

macsensei
Jan 31, 2008, 11:10 AM
I should know soon when the store guy calls me. Im in Atlanta. Got a no go call for today, yesterday. Shouldnt be too long before I get one for tomorrow.

What store did you say you were contacting? Lenox, north point, perimeter....?

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:15 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread for our East Coast congregation...

What are the Apple Stores saying there this morning over there?

None at any of the three NC stores as of 11:45 am on 1/31. One said hoping by weekend.

mashinhead
Jan 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xcybergypsyx/2232011099/

read the title

and it turns out its from our own Cybergypsy!

russtic
Jan 31, 2008, 11:20 AM
Just been on phone with apple Meadowhall - they said they will be on sale Monday.

mpetrides
Jan 31, 2008, 11:33 AM
Apple Store West County, St Louis just said they expect to have MBAs in stock tomorrow. We shall see.

MrT8064
Jan 31, 2008, 11:36 AM
i wonder what's taking them so long to get any UK delivery, its just a different power adapter isn't it, or are the boxes going to be different like the iPhone? (i doubt it)

even if apple just sent out 10 Airs to regent street that would be cool.

russtic
Jan 31, 2008, 11:45 AM
i wonder what's taking them so long to get any UK delivery, its just a different power adapter isn't it, or are the boxes going to be different like the iPhone? (i doubt it)

even if apple just sent out 10 Airs to regent street that would be cool.

Well Meadowhall gave me a daft answer to that I quote "they need to be shipped further" Duhhh.

drew0020
Jan 31, 2008, 11:51 AM
None at any of the three NC stores as of 11:45 am on 1/31. One said hoping by weekend.

Thanks for the NC update! I was hoping Charlotte, NC would have them by tomorrow. Oh well...

dyerucf
Jan 31, 2008, 11:52 AM
So answer me this, how are they keeping these display units from walking out the store when there is no security slot?

does each Air get a security guard?

russtic
Jan 31, 2008, 11:54 AM
So answer me this, how are they keeping these display units from walking out the store when there is no security slot?

does each Air get a security guard?

An alarm fixed to the usb slot break the connection and the alarm goes off. (they use an ethernet one for other laptops)

dyerucf
Jan 31, 2008, 11:55 AM
Also are the units for sale now or just demos?

dyerucf
Jan 31, 2008, 11:55 AM
An alarm fixed to the usb slot break the connection and the alarm goes off. (they use an ethernet one for other laptops)

wow, with a mag safe I bet that thing is CONSTANTLY going off, lol

dyerucf
Jan 31, 2008, 11:57 AM
Wonder if bringing in a bottle of Advil for the sales floor crew will increase my education discount. You know that alarm is going to go off at least 100 times a shift. So rather then manning the notebooks they are just staffing the alarm override.

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 12:09 PM
Apple store has not called me to cancel like they did yesterday, so it looks like a go for tomorrow!

DVNIEL
Jan 31, 2008, 12:13 PM
Stoneridge (Pleasanton, CA) - They said to check back later on today, but for sure tomorrow.

San Francisco (Flagship Store) - More worrisome, they said that it will only be able to PREVIEW tomorrow, but not sure on when actual sales will begin

Walnut Creek - Girl had no idea what the hell I was talking about

sinisterdesign
Jan 31, 2008, 12:14 PM
hmmm, i wanted to take a friend to one of the Atlanta stores this evening to show her the Air (she's a borderline Switcher, just needs a nudge).

let us know if anyone hears about demo units in their local stores...

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 12:16 PM
hmmm, i wanted to take a friend to one of the Atlanta stores this evening to show her the Air (she's a borderline Switcher, just needs a nudge).

let us know if anyone hears about demo units in their local stores...

no demo units out in Atlanta today, but as it looks now my appt is a go for tomorrow morning which would mean demo units as well.

bidwalj
Jan 31, 2008, 12:20 PM
topanga apple says to check back tomorrow. They confirmed they are doing the change tonight and should have demos tomorrow at the minimum.

sherman oaks says call back later, we are waiting too

beverly center: did not no, this week or next week

northridge: none and not sure when they are getting them

santa monica: none and not sure when they will get them

spirko
Jan 31, 2008, 12:36 PM
The Grove said “not for a week or two.”
Glendale said not yet.

stevelaw
Jan 31, 2008, 12:41 PM
Not yet - "Any day now"

seecoolguy
Jan 31, 2008, 01:10 PM
Santa Monica Store said they hoped to get some in tonight.

Simi Valley said not until Monday.

rsbell
Jan 31, 2008, 01:13 PM
Santa Monica Store said they hoped to get some in tonight.

I'll be flying into LAX in about 5 hours. I'll try the Santa Monica store after that to see if they got them in.

Surely they will have, if the pre-orders are opening theirs right now...

:D

dyerucf
Jan 31, 2008, 01:24 PM
are the units for sale in the stores with them out on the shelf?

ubercool
Jan 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
San Francisco (Flagship Store) - More worrisome, they said that it will only be able to PREVIEW tomorrow, but not sure on when actual sales will begin

Thanks for checking, villanova, since I'm leaving for Jackson Hole, WY at 7:30a tomorrow that's great news for me! :D I will be picking mine up on Saturday afternoon in the midst of massive Apple pandemonium! :D :cool:

sfreni
Jan 31, 2008, 01:35 PM
Called Burlington, MA ; Peabody MA and Salem, NH all said they did not have them. Burlington indicated they should have them early next week.

hachiman
Jan 31, 2008, 02:01 PM
I was at the Providence Mall today and they didn't have any on display. I asked one of the guy and he said he doesn't know when it will be available.

Maui19
Jan 31, 2008, 02:15 PM
This is really very helpful. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to gather and post this info. :D

whenders0n
Jan 31, 2008, 02:32 PM
pdx: within the next week

Doodledoo
Jan 31, 2008, 02:33 PM
None of the stores in Canada (Toronto - Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens/Laval - Carrefour Laval) have any. They all said the exact same thing; they'll be in sometime next week. Sherway Gardens blamed customs. Yorkdale offered to take contact information, saying they'd send out an e-mail or a phone call as soon as they arrived.

acfusion29
Jan 31, 2008, 03:04 PM
None of the stores in Canada (Toronto - Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens/Laval - Carrefour Laval) have any. They all said the exact same thing; they'll be in sometime next week. Sherway Gardens blamed customs. Yorkdale offered to take contact information, saying they'd send out an e-mail or a phone call as soon as they arrived.

Damn. I was just about to go to Sherway to check them out :(

Unconsoled
Jan 31, 2008, 03:21 PM
None of the 3 in the local area (Alderwood, U Village and Bellvue) have them or not saying. I got an "I can't tell you yet." From 2 of the stores.

Curious. Not a yes or a no........

bjdraw
Jan 31, 2008, 03:54 PM
International Plaza said not yet.

MacBoiAir
Jan 31, 2008, 03:56 PM
Just called Orlando both stores nothing yet

tennisplaayer11
Jan 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
Bethesda, Maryland (near DC) stores:

Montgomery Mall: "Any day now"
Bethesda Row: "In the next couple of days"

Any MR members out there from Maryland?

fosters2
Jan 31, 2008, 04:20 PM
Not in store yet in Delaware. Spoke to Manager and they are coming. Just don't know when.

Salty Pirate
Jan 31, 2008, 04:26 PM
Country Club Plaza in KC said no and no idea when they will see any, maybe next week.

DVNIEL
Jan 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
I've pretty much am content with the possible fact that they were told to just act "stupid" about the subject. Because if you think about it, how can any worker be THAT clueless "uhhh... we don't know, try in a couple of weeks." If that was the case Steve Jobs wouldn't have said 2 weeks if he wasn't serious about it. Because honestly, Apple is trying to gather more crowds with their merchandise, and they wont be attracting new customers if they are only going to serve just those who pre-ordered. The Air hype isn't as big as the iPhone, so they're going to need to put units out there so that people can actually feel it before they purchase it, can't just look at a pre-order screen or a keynote.

So I'll give up for today and hope for the best tomorrow.

marykay9507
Jan 31, 2008, 05:32 PM
NJ-- none available as of now...possibly tomorrow i was told by one of the stores, but thy may only have demo units and none for sale

nintendude
Jan 31, 2008, 06:02 PM
Bethesda, Maryland (near DC) stores:

Montgomery Mall: "Any day now"
Bethesda Row: "In the next couple of days"

Any MR members out there from Maryland?

ima from maryland, yeah they said the same things when I called.

SteveSparks
Jan 31, 2008, 06:05 PM
Austin Domain - Says "Don't know"
Austin Barton Creek Mall - "Maybe this weekend"
Dallas Northpark - On Display, not sure when they will be for sale
Dallas/Plano Woodlands - Maybe Next Week

Mikebuzzsaw
Jan 31, 2008, 06:11 PM
Why doesn't apple have that inventory checker thing like when the iphone was on sale.

sharkk717
Jan 31, 2008, 06:12 PM
Apple 5th Avenue has them on display now, will start selling them either tomorrow or Saturday

thechidz
Jan 31, 2008, 06:17 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xcybergypsyx/2232011099/

read the title

and it turns out its from our own Cybergypsy!

im going to head down to the 5th ave store tomorrow to check it out!!!

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 06:25 PM
Why doesn't apple have that inventory checker thing like when the iphone was on sale.

I think they intend to:

The world's thinnest notebook is coming.
MacBook Air will be available at Apple Retail Stores soon. Check back for the most up-to-date in-store availability.

sosnow
Jan 31, 2008, 06:26 PM
Called 3 different Chicago area stores multiple times and guess what... multiple answers!
Everything from 2 weeks to any day. It is very frustrating if Apple announces a release date but no inventory available.

On a positive note, almost all stores confirmed that when they are told to start selling, every store will start selling them.

I do have a personal shopping appointment first thing tomorrow and hope to leave with a MBA:)

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 06:29 PM
im going to head down to the 5th ave store tomorrow to check it out!!!
Sorry - didn't read through to your "tomorrow."
I would call first:
Update: MacBooks pulled from Midtown store

According to numerous submissions, Apple corporate reprimanded staffers at the Midtown Manhattan store for displaying the MacBook Airs ahead of an official retail roll-out, presumably planned for Friday (tomorrow). The models have since been removed from the floor.

"I just went to the store and they said that they had them on display, but they got a call from the corporate office telling them to take them away," wrote one tipster. "The associate said to call sometime tonight to find out exactly what time they would be available again."

"I just spoke with the NYC store, they have not sold 1 Macbook Air yet," wrote another tipster. "They had them out 'a couple days ago on display' and then pulled them, they have a large banner also, the employee said the best guess is they will be for sale on Friday -- when more of the country gets their shipments or Saturday if they need to wait for the OK from headquarters."

teerexx52
Jan 31, 2008, 06:42 PM
None yet. No idea when.

aethelbert
Jan 31, 2008, 06:52 PM
The Keystone store in Indianapolis said that they will arrive in the morning. Other than that, I enjoyed walking around the Apple store today with my macbook air. Felt pretty good.

noservice2001
Jan 31, 2008, 06:53 PM
Ala Moana said that they go by what's online.... so they're not going to receive it for another 2-3 weeks....

i laughed

then cried

then laughed again

they best be there tomorrow....

and by "they" i mean the 1.8 SSD, cuz if they're from china, and NY has it... Hawaii is only a 7 hour flight away....

PS... does anyone know if the NEX or PX or BX will get the Airs? i know they have the MBP

Martin C
Jan 31, 2008, 06:56 PM
NYC 5th Ave Store had them first on display last night. I haven't checked on the other two stores (SoHo and Meatpacking District) yet.

ViperrepiV
Jan 31, 2008, 07:03 PM
yea just called the 5th ave NYC store. they dont have them out yet, but when they start selling them they will have the regular and the SSD option

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 07:13 PM
NC Update

1) Crabtree Raleigh has both SSD & hd units for demo and is hoping for a shipment of sale units tomorrow a.m.

2) Southpoint Durham has none and clueless as can be - "check on line" duhhh

3) SouthPark Charlotte is expecting some hopefully tomorrow - "at least" demo's

berkleeboy210
Jan 31, 2008, 07:14 PM
Called Burlington, MA ; Peabody MA and Salem, NH all said they did not have them. Burlington indicated they should have them early next week.

Cambridgeside got one in. display model probably, because all of the employees were going to the back to check it out.

i asked when they should be on sale he said hopefully early this weekend.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 09:37 PM
Any new news on units for purchase tomorrow? I'm holding out hope.

joegomolski
Jan 31, 2008, 09:45 PM
How about MBA for sale in San Diego?

iPhonePhan
Jan 31, 2008, 09:54 PM
It's 10:50 PM EST and the Apple Store on 5th Ave now has the Thinnovation MacBook Air display up and the MacBook Air's are going on display in the next hour or so. Anyone around Midtown Manhattan come on by, I'm the dude in the LV Brown Jacket on the iMac.

I might just get one tonight... if anything to play with it and return it the next day! :p

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2065/2233412213_09ec83eaf5.jpg?v=0

mrat93
Jan 31, 2008, 10:05 PM
Short Hills, NJ "Has them in the store, but is not selling them till Friday (tomorrow.)"

SteveSparks
Jan 31, 2008, 10:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Anymore updates about going on sale tomorrow?

tokensonly
Jan 31, 2008, 10:10 PM
It's 10:50 PM EST and the Apple Store on 5th Ave now has the Thinnovation MacBook Air display up and the MacBook Air's are going on display in the next hour or so. Anyone around Midtown Manhattan come on by, I'm the dude in the LV Brown Jacket on the iMac.

I might just get one tonight... if anything to play with it and return it the next day! :p

Hey that's great news for me! I have a personal shopping appointment there tomorrow. I was worrying that they might not be selling them. I might not have the willpower to wait though, and might have to head over tonight.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 10:15 PM
Hey that's great news for me! I have a personal shopping appointment there tomorrow. I was worrying that they might not be selling them. I might not have the willpower to wait though, and might have to head over tonight.

If it were me, I'd be on my way. It'd make for a nice long night!!

SteveSparks
Jan 31, 2008, 10:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Please let us know if NY is selling them..

bidwalj
Jan 31, 2008, 10:23 PM
any updates for socal? I called sherman oaks and they said not for couple more weeks. hoping one of the stores here has them tomorrow. Planning on going to the santa monica one in the morning.

Mikebuzzsaw
Jan 31, 2008, 10:47 PM
Do you want to call the apple store at The Grove for me?

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:24 PM
Keep thread alive....

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 11:26 PM
Keep thread alive....

haha, I want to stay up, but then I also want to get a goodnight's rest for an early start.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:30 PM
haha, I want to stay up, but then I also want to get a goodnight's rest for an early start.

Yes, I agree. You need to get up early, call in sick, get a nice cup of strong coffee and be there with shiny face and credit card when they open doors tomorrow!! Happy hunting!!!!

ahaxton
Jan 31, 2008, 11:37 PM
Yes, I agree. You need to get up early, call in sick, get a nice cup of strong coffee and be there with shiny face and credit card when they open doors tomorrow!! Happy hunting!!!!

Well good thing about calling in sick, I call in sick to myself. I own the company lol.

Goodnight everyone! I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready. GO

Manatee
Jan 31, 2008, 11:42 PM
As of this evening, no sign of them in Clarendon, VA. No sign of display materials or anything, unless the staff is starting after midnight.

They said, "Any day now. Keep checking with us."

I'll check again when I get back from my vacation in a week-and-a-half. Maybe by then I'll be reading reports that give me a better idea whether I want to pay the extra for the SSD.

Man, this is so much fun! When do you ever see people getting so excited, and comparing notes on the coming of a new HP or Acer? :)

arn
Jan 31, 2008, 11:50 PM
Michigan Ave. Chicago store is setting up.

Matteo submitted this photo

DVNIEL
Jan 31, 2008, 11:51 PM
Just got off my shift at the hospital...

I saw lights and ladders inside the Stanford store...

Could tomorrow really be the day?

dibara2003
Jan 31, 2008, 11:51 PM
Ala Moana said that they go by what's online.... so they're not going to receive it for another 2-3 weeks....

i laughed

then cried

then laughed again

they best be there tomorrow....

and by "they" i mean the 1.8 SSD, cuz if they're from china, and NY has it... Hawaii is only a 7 hour flight away....

PS... does anyone know if the NEX or PX or BX will get the Airs? i know they have the MBP

ha, clueless at ala moana. nice to see someone else from oahu here. i'm gonna check out the store before i go to work tomorrow.

NC MacGuy
Jan 31, 2008, 11:57 PM
Well good thing about calling in sick, I call in sick to myself. I own the company lol.

Goodnight everyone! I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready. GO

Same here... Maybe that's why we can buy MBA's on a whim? Let's hear some good news in the a.m.!

noservice2001
Jan 31, 2008, 11:57 PM
ha, clueless at ala moana. nice to see someone else from oahu here. i'm gonna check out the store before i go to work tomorrow.

seeing as we did get the iphone the same time mainland did... in 24 hours, i should also be on air...

anyway w00t O'ahu ftw- we can go beach with it in the midsts of a sunny winter....and get a tan

dibara2003
Feb 1, 2008, 12:02 AM
seeing as we did get the iphone the same time mainland did... in 24 hours, i should also be on air...

anyway w00t O'ahu ftw- we can go beach with it in the midsts of a sunny winter....and get a tan

i'm sure we'll have it. a lot of the people who work there are pretty dumb compared to us MR members. still can't decide on the HD or SSD though

noservice2001
Feb 1, 2008, 12:17 AM
a lot of the people who work there are pretty dumb compared to us MR members. still can't decide on the HD or SSD though

haha... i've always thought that... once i got in an arguement... they asked a genius and turns out i was right... but also they have to withhold information to the public till apple releases that info... so maybe in some respect they're "smarter" than us.... just being evil :(

but yeah, if you can afford it, the SSD will probably be best.... ssd is tomorrow's technology... its already 08, why get a fancy mini c2d to pair it with a lunky HD? unless you get a hd and wait for SSD prices to fall, cuz they will... then do a future swap-

my $0.02

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:39 AM
Still not a single verification of any available for sale at any retail store. When exactly will they be available to non-preordering public? I'm guessing Saturday. We shall see.

Toknee
Feb 1, 2008, 01:13 AM
I had a chance to play with it at the 5th Ave, NYC location.

No regular HD's on display, only SSD's.

The SSD is snappy, pretty fast, no noticeable lag.

It's been argues, that the biggest bottle neck now, is not really the CPU or the RAM, but HD I/O.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 05:05 AM
I had a chance to play with it at the 5th Ave, NYC location.

No regular HD's on display, only SSD's.

The SSD is snappy, pretty fast, no noticeable lag.

It's been argues, that the biggest bottle neck now, is not really the CPU or the RAM, but HD I/O.

But why aren't any for sale yet? Maybe this morning?

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 06:15 AM
Until Apple changes MBA from pre-order to now shipping on its website I think anyone expecting to buy one via retail store may be out of luck. Not a single verified retail purchase yet.

nintendude
Feb 1, 2008, 07:31 AM
the Apple store in montgomery mall, md has demo units:D

Fgozalo
Feb 1, 2008, 07:55 AM
Does anyone have any information regarding the Orlando's stores? Will they be displaying demo units or selling them today, maybe tomorrow?

MabookAirBoi, can you call there again, LOL, I'm like in Brazil right now! Cheers!

bidwalj
Feb 1, 2008, 08:04 AM
They changed that this week. Its still 2-3 week wait, but its buy it now and not a preorder.

QUOTE=NC MacGuy;4872705]Until Apple changes MBA from pre-order to now shipping on its website I think anyone expecting to buy one via retail store may be out of luck. Not a single verified retail purchase yet.[/QUOTE]

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 08:08 AM
They changed that this week. Its still 2-3 week wait, but its buy it now and not a preorder.

QUOTE=NC MacGuy;4872705]Until Apple changes MBA from pre-order to now shipping on its website I think anyone expecting to buy one via retail store may be out of luck. Not a single verified retail purchase yet.[/QUOTE]

Not what I'm seeing. Apple.com, Store, MB Air in middle of page says pre-order.

shk718
Feb 1, 2008, 08:15 AM
i was at the manhattan 14th st store at 8:30 - they had them on display but the guy i talked to said they didn't have any in stock at that time. he said i could come back at 9 to play with them.

MacBoiAir
Feb 1, 2008, 08:15 AM
Orlando Mac Stores have them for display not for sale. Any body know what the gap is from when they display them to when they sell them

sosnow
Feb 1, 2008, 08:25 AM
update from chicago. Northbrook store
I am at the store and the mgr said only demos today.
my appointment is at 9 and i will try to get more info:(

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
Westfarms Mall in Connecticut has "one display model" but none for sale. When asked when they would have them available for sale, he said they weren't sure but they had been expecting them. He also agreed to call me when they do have them available. As usual, really good customer service at the Apple Store Westfarms.

So, when will anybody actually have them available for purchase? By the way, the latest rumored date for updated macBook Pros is Tuesday February 12, just 11 days from now. I wonder if it makes sense to wait and see what they do with those before committing to MB Air? Two entirely different machines, I know, but if they do some really cool things with the MBP some folks may be persuaded to go that route.

It's not so easy of a decision as one might think. Seeing what you can get in a MBP for the same dollars as the Air... if you don't carry the thing around THAT much, the extra 2.6 pounds (gulp!) might make sense. "Cool factor" definitely in favor of MB Air though, and 13" screen is perfect size.

Hey, how about a 13" MBP!!?? (Dream ends... I wake up).

Too many great choices!

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 08:28 AM
update from chicago. Northbrook store
I am at the store and the mgr said only demos today.
my appointment is at 9 and i will try to get more info:(

Yupp. Just as I figured. I doubt any retail store sales will happen until next week. Apple is trying to hype pre-ordering for future releases. Makes good business sense but it sucks to be us!!

rsbell
Feb 1, 2008, 09:02 AM
Yupp. Just as I figured. I doubt any retail store sales will happen until next week. Apple is trying to hype pre-ordering for future releases. Makes good business sense but it sucks to be us!!

Why all of he f*$^&*g games?! :mad:

Just tell us it will be available on such and such a date, and leave it at that!

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 09:08 AM
Why all of he f*$^&*g games?! :mad:

Just tell us it will be available on such and such a date, and leave it at that!

My sentiments exactly. You can't get a consistent answer out of any Apple employee when asking. Tomorrow, maybe today, yesterday, two to three weeks, this weekend - c'mon, just say when and put it to rest!!

stevelaw
Feb 1, 2008, 09:12 AM
Has one demo unit. Nothing in stock.

kyleen66
Feb 1, 2008, 09:13 AM
Remember this weeks big idea of a Tuesday launch for sales?

I'm guessing they starting shipping last Tuesday and will start SELLING next Tuesday.

I know that's not what folks want to hear, but based on what I'm reading in the forum with pre-orders and shipping, Apple does not want to anger/piss off that customer base. If they wait until next Tuesday they will have fulfilled as many of the pre-orders as possible.

garfinkel
Feb 1, 2008, 09:16 AM
Short Hills, NJ "Has them in the store, but is not selling them till Friday (tomorrow.)"

They have demos in, but have "none in stock." Which from how I read it, actually meant, they have them but weren't yet allowed to sell them. She had implied that as soon as Apple.com lists them as shipping, they would be available.

I am hoping they are available around 12-1PM, which would be 9:00-10 AM in Cupertino.

jman2003
Feb 1, 2008, 09:24 AM
Just called Apple Store Old Orchird-On display but not in stock.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 09:31 AM
They have demos in, but have "none in stock." Which from how I read it, actually meant, they have them but weren't yet allowed to sell them. She had implied that as soon as Apple.com lists them as shipping, they would be available.

I am hoping they are available around 12-1PM, which would be 9:00-10 AM in Cupertino.

Doubt they'll sell today. It's amazing how no one had any last night at closing time and then demo only units magically appear at store opening next day. It would be nice if just one apple employee would man-up and say, listen they aren't going to be available for sale until XXXXX. We aren't allowed to sell them yet. Apple mystique for ya'....

adambravo
Feb 1, 2008, 09:40 AM
Troy (Somerset) and Novi both have demo units (Troy has several, Novi only has one) but none in stock. Both said they have no idea when stock is arriving. Troy said it could be anytime--even this weekend--while Novi said they usually get their big shipments on Tuesday. Grrr....

drackett
Feb 1, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm going to check the Chicago store now. Hopefully they'll have some, being a bigger store..

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm going to check the Chicago store now. Hopefully they'll have some, being a bigger store..

They will.... on display.

Fgozalo
Feb 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
Orlando Mac Stores have them for display not for sale. Any body know what the gap is from when they display them to when they sell them

Seens like they will be for sale Saturday.

MacboiAir, keep me updated, you are my link to the Orlando stores right now!

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:02 AM
Seens like they will be for sale Saturday. If it plays like the 5th Avenue NYC store, maybe tonight a few will be available.

MacboiAir, keep me updated, you are my link to the Orlando stores right now!

5th Ave. store didn't sell any. They've only had displays too. No confirmed sale of an Air at any retail stores. Apple is waiting for some undisclosed time. I hope its during the superbowl - it'd serve them right!

Fgozalo
Feb 1, 2008, 10:07 AM
5th Ave. store didn't sell any. They've only had displays too. No confirmed sale of an Air at any retail stores. Apple is waiting for some undisclosed time. I hope its during the superbowl - it'd serve them right!

Yeah, I've just finished reading the other thread, sorry. Lol, I'm curious, since I don't live int the US, when is the Superbowl?

Is there any chance they'll start selling the AIR this Saturday?

stillwater
Feb 1, 2008, 10:08 AM
The Burlington Mall store has two demo units. Both of them are 1.8 SSD models. I spent a couple of minutes playing with one. It seemed pretty speedy to me.

Rockingham has no demo units yet.

kernyboy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:18 AM
Any on sale at cambridgeside apple store?

The Burlington Mall store has two demo units. Both of them are 1.8 SSD models. I spent a couple of minutes playing with one. It seemed pretty speedy to me.

Rockingham has no demo units yet.

island
Feb 1, 2008, 10:19 AM
Stamford, CT Apple Store no go, Danbury, CT no luck either.

Both stores have displays up, none for sale.

bjdraw
Feb 1, 2008, 10:23 AM
I understand that Apple is wonderful at marketing, but I fail to understand why it would benefit them to put them on display today, but not sell them until later.

It makes more sense to me that Apple is unable to manufacture enough to meet demand.
For starters initial shipments were a little late.
Second, only pre-orders made the first day, have shipped.
And finally most stores only have one demo unit.

How does it work to their advantage not to ship all the pre-orders yet, and to only ship one demo unit to most stores? Only to wait until later today or tomorrow to actually sell them?

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I've just finished reading the other thread, sorry. Lol, I'm curious, since I don't live int the US, when is the Superbowl?

Is there any chance they'll start selling the AIR this Saturday?

This coming Sunday evening.

They may, who knows what evil lurks in the mind of the jobmeister!!

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 10:30 AM
I understand that Apple is wonderful at marketing, but I fail to understand why it would benefit them to put them on display today, but not sell them until later.

It makes more sense to me that Apple is unable to manufacture enough to meet demand.

How does it work to their advantage not to ship all the pre-orders yet, and to only ship one demo unit to most stores? Only to wait until later today or tomorrow to actually sell them?

I agree. I think they're getting them out as quickly as possible. Notice the Apple Store Online still shows "preorder" with 2-3 week delivery times. I expect they'll be caught up within a week or so, and we'll be able to get them in stores without issue. Then we can start whining about other stuff.

Funny: a month ago we didn't even know MacBook Air existed; now the prospect of waiting another few days to get one drives us mad. I wonder if they really will turn out to be "must have" for those who can afford them?

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:32 AM
Something I find interesting: all the display units seem to be 1.8, SSD's. I wonder if the standard 1.6, HD's are bad enough that they don't want the soft underbelly of the Air's showing??

Eric Lewis
Feb 1, 2008, 10:33 AM
anyone know about Toronto?

island
Feb 1, 2008, 10:33 AM
Something I find interesting: all the display units seem to be 1.8, SSD's. I wonder if the standard 1.6, HD's are bad enough that they don't want the soft underbelly of the Air's showing??

Totally agree with you on that.

teerexx52
Feb 1, 2008, 10:34 AM

I wondered that myself. I was hoping that someone who already has one with the 80gb drive would post soon about it?

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 10:37 AM
I specifically asked and was told that the display unit at the Apple Store Westfarms (CT) is the 80Gb HDD, and that it's the only one they have. I'm actually happy to hear that most are SSD's, because it could mean my chances of getting one of those sooner is not so bad.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:40 AM

I think they are hyping pre-ordering as a new product sales model. How many pre-order customers would scream bloody murder if units were available in stores before theirs arrived - and wanted expedited delivery $'s back? They'll hit the in-stock status soon enough but want to make sure they get as many pre-orders out as possible to make sure next time a new product is introduced, the blind faithful will hit that pre-order button before it's even out of the envelope so to speak. Marketing....

drackett
Feb 1, 2008, 10:41 AM
The Michigan store said that they got 2 in the mail yesterday (on display) and that if they get more this afternoon (they expect to) that they will put them on sale.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:42 AM
I wondered that myself. I was hoping that someone who already has one with the 80gb drive would post soon about it?

Not that I'm thinking negative but there's been very little feedback about freshly received units save for the it's beautiful, skinny, sexy ones... Makes one wonder.

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 10:45 AM
I too am eager to hear some feedback from those who have already received theirs. Anything at all unexpected? How's the performance?

jman2003
Feb 1, 2008, 10:46 AM
The Michigan store said that they got 2 in the mail yesterday (on display) and that if they get more this afternoon (they expect to) that they will put them on sale.
I just called and they are not getting another shipment until sunday and they only have 1 on display.

NYSculptor
Feb 1, 2008, 10:49 AM
Just bought MBA 1.8 ssd at Apple store SoHo. It comes with its own paper bag like the iPhone.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:50 AM
Totally agree with you on that.

How far did you get on your drive last night / this morning before realizing 5th Ave. wasn't selling nothin' but air? That iphone guy ticked me off - 40 for sale my *&^^&*!

tokensonly
Feb 1, 2008, 10:56 AM
Just bought MBA 1.8 ssd at Apple store SoHo. It comes with its own paper bag like the iPhone.

I assume you're joking, I don't think they are selling them yet. Though I would love to be wrong.

MacBoiAir

Looks like someone has bought one in stores today. More need to start reporting sold in stores:)

NC MacGuy

Pictures please? If so, I think you're the winner! No one has been able to purchase any from a retail store yet for reasons unknown.

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 10:58 AM
Looks like someone has bought one in stores today. More need to start reporting sold in stores:)

This would seem to be one of if not the first if true. Pictures please...

tokensonly
Feb 1, 2008, 11:01 AM

Just called Apple Soho and they said they have them on display but are not selling them.

shimmer11
Just called, they have 2 demo units, none for sale. Advised to order online. Uhh, yea.

-Andy

drackett
I just called and they are not getting another shipment until sunday and they only have 1 on display.

I was there in person.. and who even ships on sunday?

cowpaintings
Feb 1, 2008, 11:02 AM
Ardmore store by philadelphia.

Display unit-supposedly no stock.

The demo unit is the 80g pata drive. It works great. Turns on as soon as you open it, and standard video clips played fine-although anyone buying it for video editing would really be fooling themselves.

The worker was really nice, and might of slipped up. He said-yeah wegot them in last night, but can't sell...then he stammered around and said they just had a display model, and that the delay is because of weather problems screwing up key shipment planes. He then inferred that a apple wanted all locations to be in stock before allowing them to ship.

At anyrate, in person it really is an amazing machine-and incredibly sturdy. Even though its really light it feels sturdier than my 12" PowerBook!

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 11:03 AM
Just called Apple Soho and they said they have them on display but are not selling them.

As I thought.... He's a newbie with join date of feb 08. Hmmm, that's today. Riiiggghht.

NYSculptor
Feb 1, 2008, 11:03 AM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100367&stc=1&d=1201885306

Eric Lewis
Feb 1, 2008, 11:04 AM

walking in NYC with this bag? u will get muged

tokensonly

You're my god damned hero.

eswank
The Village Pointe Apple Store in Omaha, NE has them on display but not on sale yet. I guess not enough to sell.

MacBoiAir
Feb 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
This looks pretty real to me

SteveSparks
Feb 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
QUOTE=NC MacGuy;4872705]Until Apple changes MBA from pre-order to now shipping on its website I think anyone expecting to buy one via retail store may be out of luck. Not a single verified retail purchase yet.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

/agree

It still shows pre-order when I look at the site

tokensonly
Feb 1, 2008, 11:06 AM

So we can just stroll in and buy one? Anything else we need to know, is there a secret password or something?

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
Ardmore store by philadelphia.

Display unit-supposedly no stock.

The demo unit is the 80g pata drive. It works great. Turns on as soon as you open it, and standard video clips played fine-although anyone buying it for video editing would really be fooling themselves.

The worker was really nice, and might of slipped up. He said-yeah wegot them in last night, but can't sell...then he stammered around and said they just had a display model, and that the delay is because of weather problems screwing up key shipment planes. He then inferred that a apple wanted all locations to be in stock before allowing them to ship.

At anyrate, in person it really is an amazing machine-and incredibly sturdy. Even though its really light it feels sturdier than my 12" PowerBook!

I imagine it smokes the old 12" powerbook but I loved mine and hope this is a suitable replacement. How many bounces to open app.'s?
More and more the story is that apple is waiting for some predetermined time to announce they're available at retail stores. Go figure...

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 11:11 AM

Dude, you really did it? How? John Mayer's brother or what? Come on - what's the secret handshake, password, ???

timville
Feb 1, 2008, 11:16 AM
Called South Hills Village in Pittsburgh

"We've got them on display but not for sale. We're hoping for Tuesday to have them for sale"

NYSculptor
Feb 1, 2008, 11:18 AM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100376&stc=1&d=1201886206

tokensonly
Feb 1, 2008, 11:20 AM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100376&stc=1&d=1201886206

I don't think we're doubting, just want details. i.e. are they available to anyone, how many did they have, and so forth.

timville
Feb 1, 2008, 11:20 AM
Called Shadyside in Pittsburgh

"We've got them on view... but not for sale. Not sure when they'll be on sale."

macsensei
Feb 1, 2008, 11:26 AM
As I thought.... He's a newbie with join date of feb 08. Hmmm, that's today. Riiiggghht.

Ouch.... Does that burn! Newbie's rule!!

shimmer11
Feb 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
Called Shadyside in Pittsburgh

"We've got them on view... but not for sale. Not sure when they'll be on sale."

I am not sure what is going on here. Maybe Apple was reading all of the negative press, and is just feeling everyone out to see if the response is positive. If that is the case, bad marketing Apple. People are waiting to buy this machine with a lot of hot air marketing.

-Andy

NYSculptor
Feb 1, 2008, 11:30 AM
I do not know how many they have in stock. I got mine at about 11.20 am. Just walked in and asked for it. The sales person told me he thought that I was the first to buy the ssd, a couple of other people were there buying the 1.6 when I got there, so I was not technically the first mba purchaser from the SoHo store. Must go and unpack it.....

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 11:31 AM
Ouch.... Does that burn! Newbie's rule!!

Yes sensei, it burns bad... Very bad. Two seem to be purchased from stores now, one in NJ & other in NY.

I'm sure when Ca gets going, they'll sell some too.

Us poor southerners get squat!

ViperrepiV
Feb 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
Clearly all the stores have stock, they just aren't selling them because HQ isn't letting them. It just shows you this is the case because the people who are managing to buy them are getting them from sales people who apparently didn't get the memo...

whenders0n
Feb 1, 2008, 11:34 AM
weird situation in soho.
possibly they are not telling people that they are for sale over the phone? just called pdx and they have one display unit only (or so they say...but i'm tempted to go in....)

macsensei
Feb 1, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yes sensei, it burns bad... Very bad. Two seem to be purchased from stores now, one in NJ & other in NY.

I'm sure when Ca gets going, they'll sell some too.

Us poor southerners get squat!

Yeah I live ATL and I went to Lenox Mall hoping to grab one. But at least I got to play with it for a couple minutes. The wait is killing me!!

MacBoiAir
Feb 1, 2008, 11:38 AM
I would try. but haven't got off work yet. Someone near an apple store should just walk in and try to buy one. Say my friend just got one this morning from this store:)

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, one was purchased at this NJ store. Me thinks some employees are slipping up?:

Short Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrat93

macsensei
Feb 1, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, one was purchased at this NJ store. Me thinks some employees are slipping up?:

Short Hills
Quote:

I asked the guy at Lenox Mall in ATL and he said they would be getting a shipment today and to call back. He said they just shipped out yesterday and usually they overnight to their store. But I truly beleve they have them in the stockroom. Im sure i'll go back tonight and they would have appeared out of thin AiR...lol!!

emil10001
Feb 1, 2008, 12:09 PM
CambridgeSide Mall, in Cambridge, MA has them on sale, but sold out for now. I was in there at 11:45am, and they sold the last available unit to the girl in front of me. I was NOT pleased. And, not just because I had planned on going in at opening and didn't because I didn't think they'd be available, but because of how rude the staff were.

First, there were *two* kids trying to sell the girl in front of me on the MBA, and it took me a bit to get one of them to talk to me. When I did, I asked if they had them available, and if so, I'd like to buy one. One of the two kids went back looking for two units, he came back with one, and gave it to the girl. I then was asking the kid who stayed when they'd be getting more in, he said he didn't know. I asked if there was a way to track shipments coming in, he said he didn't know. I asked when they *usually* get new shipments in, he said to check back tomorrow morning, they might have more in. I asked to reserve one, and he said that I couldn't. He also said that they only had 'limited stock' when it had come in, and would continue to have 'limited stock' for the next several days, and suggested I come back either tomorrow, or sometime next week.

My friend had come to the store with me and had just picked up the display MBA to take a closer look (I didn't really have time as I was trying to pry info out of the rep). One of the other sales reps had come over, within 30 sec. of my friend picking up the unit and asked him if he would mind letting other people get a look at it. I couldn't believe it! First off, it's not like they can sell this thing to anybody anyways, and second, I just felt like that was an incredibly rude thing to do. I mean, he was looking at it for an entire 30 seconds, they are sold out, and this store rep is telling him to 'move along.'

At this point, I'm not sure if I should go back to CambridgeSide, or find somewhere else to go. Unfortunately, I walk by CambridgeSide on my way home from work, so it might be difficult to resist.

Good luck to anybody else trying to buy one at the store.

miloquacious
Feb 1, 2008, 12:09 PM
morning all,

walked by there this morning and saw them fixing the "thinnovation" poster in the window. didn't see any on display, though they could have been back further. it's only a block away - will walk by in a bit and report back.

(btw, just joined but have lurked here now and then and more importantly, have been a mac loyalist since my first apple IIe!)

NC MacGuy
Feb 1, 2008, 12:15 PM
Another weird phone call to local store. Girl answering phone flat out said we CAN'T sell them. Asked about their supply, said it was limited but they CAN'T sell them. Said none are available IN-STOCK for sale at the present. Then she asked me what the store page said about changing from pre-order status? She was pretty good about avoiding any clear cut direct answers. This may explain why a few have trickled out. Maybe their not following the super-secret apple rules.... I'm going to take a drive and see what is up.

Mikebuzzsaw
Feb 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
Do you people have JOBS? goodness, you guys have a lot of time to stalk $2k-$3k mba supplies.

emil10001
Feb 1, 2008, 12:20 PM
Do you people have JOBS? goodness, you guys have a lot of time to stalk $2k-$3k mba supplies.

Apparently, if you don't stalk it, you might not get one. I found that out the hard way.

And besides, I get a lot of work done in between hitting 'F5' on this thread. :D

macsensei
Feb 1, 2008, 12:21 PM
Another weird phone call to local store. Girl answering phone flat out said we CAN'T sell them. Asked about their supply, said it was limited but they CAN'T sell them. Said none are available IN-STOCK for sale at the present. Then she asked me what the store page said about changing from pre-order status? She was pretty good about avoiding any clear cut direct answers. This may explain why a few have trickled out. Maybe their not following the super-secret apple rules.... I'm going to take a drive and see what is up.

Told ya they had them...they are just waiting for the ok!

Fgozalo
Feb 1, 2008, 12:23 PM
I would try. but haven't got off work yet. Someone near an apple store should just walk in and try to buy one. Say my friend just got one this morning from this store:)

I am eager o see what happens, when you get off work and check the stores. From which store did your friend got one?

DVNIEL
Feb 1, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm at the Walnut Creek store. They said they don't have any YET, but they are unloading the FedEX truck right now. I see boxes that are shaped to fit about 5 of them in each box. They took my name down and told me if I hang around the area they'd give me a call. I'm gonna wait for a bit, don't have to do anything until 1500 PST.

samcheezay
Feb 1, 2008, 12:28 PM
Called the store just now and they have the AIR's on display. Going to check it out during my lunch break. Can't wait!:D

Sekots
Feb 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
I just got back from the Marlton Apple store and they have demo's but none to sell yet.

The MacBook Air is definitely a product that you have to try out for yourself to realize how thin and light this thing is. It really is an amazing product. To me the SSD would be totally worth the money, it was really impressive. If I didn't have a MacBook Pro I could definitely see myself buying one of these.

island
Feb 1, 2008, 12:47 PM
Still nothing in 2 CT stores...

LindenTree
Feb 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
I was just at the Chestnut St. store in San Francisco, and no Macbook Airs yet.

shecky
Feb 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
Providence Place has them on demo, but none for sale yet.

samcheezay
Feb 1, 2008, 12:52 PM
Sorry I should Inform the store I called was the one on Stockton St. in S.F.

shk718
Feb 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
i bought one i bought one - 14th st store in manhattan - they had a limited quantity. they had the SSD's on display - man are they fast - but didn't have any to sell - only the base model - man is it sweet!!!

spirko
Feb 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
Two MBAs. SSD on table with MacBooks. Even though it looks like a pro machine, it’s considered (at least per grove apple store employees) part of the MacBook family due to specs. SSD formats around 55+G, and if you need/want a windows partition, that’s a diet.

Second MBA at store is 80G HD but sits in store window.
None for sale. Shipment expected Monday.

miloquacious
Feb 1, 2008, 01:00 PM
Sorry I should Inform the store I called was the one on Stockton St. in S.F.

dropped in just now...

they have one demo unit in the corner and except for one older couple who stumbled upon it, no one else was checking it out. apple rep said they don't have any in stock but to check back in later today or tomorrow.

this leads me to believe other posts - they have them in stock but haven't been given given the trigger to allow sales.

got to try one out at macworld and i've been sold ever since!

shk718
Feb 1, 2008, 01:03 PM
I do not know how many they have in stock. I got mine at about 11.20 am. Just walked in and asked for it. The sales person told me he thought that I was the first to buy the ssd, a couple of other people were there buying the 1.6 when I got there, so I was not technically the first mba purchaser from the SoHo store. Must go and unpack it.....

i called the SOHO store about 2 hrs ago and they said they didn't have any for sale - i think the phone people are either lying or not awair of the stock - if you want one i'd physically go to the store - i just bought one.

Jon Morgan
Feb 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
Called the store just now and they have the AIR's on display. Going to check it out during my lunch break. Can't wait!:D

They have one in the window and one on display inside.

They told us (at 10.10 this morning) that they're expecting to be selling later, so to go back in a few hours time.

toomuchmac
Feb 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
I got to go into two stores in person today.

The Park Meadows location did not even have demo models.

The Cherry Creek location had a window display model and one to touch/feel.

More demo-only models arrived so that more people could have hands on this weekend, but they don't expect any to sell until next week.

The Air is everything you have read as far as thin, sexy, etc.

And the SSD model that was available to try is VERY snappy.

NYSculptor
Feb 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
This thing is really light, startup is fast (but all new computers are before one loads them up with stuff). Lack of drive sound will take some getting used to.http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100398&stc=1&d=1201893090http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100399&stc=1&d=1201893090

teerexx52
Feb 1, 2008, 01:19 PM
Two on display. None for sale!:(

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 01:21 PM
Just had a chat with the Apple Online Store. I asked if I would be likely to get a MacBook Air sooner by ordering it online or by waiting for them to arrive in the local Apple store.

As per usual, I didn't get any hard information. He suggested two things:
1. Watch Apple.com/retail for in store availability (sounds like they're going to do a similar program as they did with the iPhone, listing stores and stock status).
2. He said I could always order it online, then cancel the order if they're in stock locally before it ships.

In other words, I learned nothing (although I am now watching Apple.com/retail constantly along with these forums!).

MBA4ME
Feb 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
Just got a base model from SoHo (bought it around 12:30). Apple Store Employee said they didn't get many but he thought they had enough to sell to last at least the rest of day. I only saw one demo unit on the first floor - but I pretty much went in, got mine and got out.

It's as sweet as I thought it would be, but it runs a bit hotter than I expected - might just be from some initial loading - I still love the thing.

nintendude
Feb 1, 2008, 01:24 PM
can someone try and check montgomery mall, md. ive been on hold for about 10 min. i think somethings going on there.................

ViperrepiV
Feb 1, 2008, 01:31 PM
ugh this is so annoying. just sell them already!

shimmer11
Feb 1, 2008, 01:33 PM
I agree, to not set-up a specific time for a launch (like the 6pm) iPhone launch is rediculous. Maybe they are short on supply.

pugnut
Feb 1, 2008, 01:34 PM
can someone try and check montgomery mall, md. ive been on hold for about 10 min. i think somethings going on there.................

The same for Pentagon city, but cleardon and tyson say no to selling for at leaste a week

Andrew Ruess
Feb 1, 2008, 01:37 PM
Just called the Bridgeport Village store in Portland, OR. They are the only store in the metro that have any MacBook Airs with demo units on the floor.

And they have both main configurations out too; the 1.8Ghz SSD and 1.6Ghz HD on tables.

He thought they might get some in today for retail sales, but wasn't sure.

orthodoc
Feb 1, 2008, 01:37 PM
I decided to try the Apple Store at The Shops at Willow Bend in Plano, Texas. They had one base model left (they only received a few today). I bought it and am in the process of migrating things from my macbook to the macbook air. It is a sweet machine!

Fgozalo
Feb 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
Any news regarding the Orlando's stores?

Pdrickey
Feb 1, 2008, 01:40 PM
Just purchased a 1.6/80 from the Apple Store UTC in San Diego. I first went to Fashion Valley, but they did not even have any display units... I then called UTC and they told me they only had units on display. I figured id go and test it out and maybe talk someone into selling me one. When i arrived, there were tons of people looking at the Airs. I couldnt even get close! I asked an employee if i could purchase one and he said that they only have the demos. I then lied and told him my father purchased one from the Soho store in New York this morning... I also mentioned that there was a fedex freight truck unloading behind the store... he said he would go talk to a manager in back. 5 min later he returned with an AIR! He told me that they were just being unloaded by fedex and they have very limited quantities ( he thought under 10)... He and the manager confirmed that stores are instructed to start selling the moment they recieve units. there is no magic time from corporate to start selling, as others have suggested.. After i left i called UTC to see if the operators are just lying... they are! it has been an hour since i purchased and they are still saying not available for sale only demo. only when i tell them that i know units were being sold, they put me on hold for a couple of min and then admit they have a few in stock....

whenders0n
Feb 1, 2008, 01:41 PM
Just called the Bridgeport Village store in Portland, OR. They are the only store in the metro that have any MacBook Airs with demo units on the floor.

And they have both main configurations out too; the 1.8Ghz SSD and 1.6Ghz HD on tables.

He thought they might get some in today for retail sales, but wasn't sure.
wow thanks for the info andrew. i'm in the PDX store right now - they only have a display unit in the window. talking about getting demo units later today but retail - i kinda doubt it. i'm keeping my fingers x'ed though. let me know if you get one and i'll bike to tigard and try my hand!

whenders0n
Feb 1, 2008, 01:43 PM
Just purchased a 1.6/80 from the Apple Store UTC in San Diego. I first went to Fashion Valley, but they did not even have any display units... I then called UTC and they told me they only had units on display. I figured id go and test it out and maybe talk someone into selling me one. When i arrived, there were tons of people looking at the Airs. I couldnt even get close! I asked an employee if i could purchase one and he said that they only have the demos. I then lied and told him my father purchased one from the Soho store in New York this morning... I also mentioned that there was a fedex freight truck unloading behind the store... he said he would go talk to a manager in back. 5 min later he returned with an AIR! He told me that they were just being unloaded by fedex and they have very limited quantities ( he thought under 10)... He and the manager confirmed that stores are instructed to start selling the moment they recieve units. there is no magic time from corporate to start selling, as others have suggested.. After i left i called UTC to see if the operators are just lying... they are! it has been an hour since i purchased and they are still saying not available for sale only demo. only when i tell them that i know units were being sold, they put me on hold for a couple of min and then admit they have a few in stock....

crazy man. i used to work at that store and that kinda makes sense. maybe i'll try that here although here they dont even have demo units!

garfinkel
Feb 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
Stopped by Short Hills just to check it out. They said they had gotten only 2, and sold them. They claimed they weren't even sure why they had gotten them. Strange.

Short Hills
Quote:

JulieJewel
Feb 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
I just braved the Bladerunner weather to head to the NY store on 14th street and they were sold out...no answers as to how many they had or when they would get in any more.

joegomolski
Feb 1, 2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pdrickey

Hi guy, thanks for the intelligence. Just talked to UTC and Fashion Valley. Wink, Wink call the store at 9AM on Saturday to see if they got any in. With bells on I'll be haunting both stores, you bet, tomorrow.

Jon Morgan
Feb 1, 2008, 02:04 PM
Just had a call from my OH, who has a day off and is basically stalking the Apple store on Stockton, in SF. The story from this morning ("check back in a couple of hours") has become more vague - "maybe later, maybe next week".

I'm not even that bothered about getting one - the OH is the Machead in our family - but even I feel frustrated by this ridiculous lack of consistency or even clear message.

SteveSparks
Feb 1, 2008, 02:09 PM
I've called pretty much all the stores I genrally visit when I travel and get a pretty non-consistant answer:

Austin
Domain - No Demo / No Stock
Barton Creek - Demo / No Stock
Dallas
Northpark - Demo / No Stock
Willobend - Demo / No Stock
Houston
Galleria - Demo / No Stock

Anyone in Texas find a store with stock?
PM me. I'd be willing to make the effort worth your time, and I would drive and come get it. I'm in Austin.

berkleeboy210
Feb 1, 2008, 02:14 PM
CambridgeSide Mall, in Cambridge, MA has them on sale, but sold out for now. I was in there at 11:45am, and they sold the last available unit to the girl in front of me. I was NOT pleased. And, not just because I had planned on going in at opening and didn't because I didn't think they'd be available, but because of how rude the staff were.

First, there were *two* kids trying to sell the girl in front of me on the MBA, and it took me a bit to get one of them to talk to me. When I did, I asked if they had them available, and if so, I'd like to buy one. One of the two kids went back looking for two units, he came back with one, and gave it to the girl. I then was asking the kid who stayed when they'd be getting more in, he said he didn't know. I asked if there was a way to track shipments coming in, he said he didn't know. I asked when they *usually* get new shipments in, he said to check back tomorrow morning, they might have more in. I asked to reserve one, and he said that I couldn't. He also said that they only had 'limited stock' when it had come in, and would continue to have 'limited stock' for the next several days, and suggested I come back either tomorrow, or sometime next week.

My friend had come to the store with me and had just picked up the display MBA to take a closer look (I didn't really have time as I was trying to pry info out of the rep). One of the other sales reps had come over, within 30 sec. of my friend picking up the unit and asked him if he would mind letting other people get a look at it. I couldn't believe it! First off, it's not like they can sell this thing to anybody anyways, and second, I just felt like that was an incredibly rude thing to do. I mean, he was looking at it for an entire 30 seconds, they are sold out, and this store rep is telling him to 'move along.'

At this point, I'm not sure if I should go back to CambridgeSide, or find somewhere else to go. Unfortunately, I walk by CambridgeSide on my way home from work, so it might be difficult to resist.

Good luck to anybody else trying to buy one at the store.

Interesting... I was in there shortly after 1:00 and was checking out the demo units. seemed to be the SSD b/c I clicked on the profiler and it said it no Serial-ATA Drive. Very Speedy Machine. I still won't buy one though.

In Regards to the quanity of stock: I didn't ask specfically but there was a sales guy and a lady next to me, and she seemed pretty close to be ready to buy one.

matthewHUB
Feb 1, 2008, 02:18 PM
Eastview Mall in Rochester, NY? I called twice.

1st time they said they have both configs as demos but don't have any to sell

2nd time they said they only have SSD demo, and 'weren't allowed to say' when they're selling.

M

onesixeight
Feb 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
Just got back from Kahala store in Honolulu...

None... The lady was extremely rude too. I thought Apple people were the friendly ones. Maybe she's one of the recently laid off CompUSA workers.

She acted as if I was some crazy stalker.

zoomad
Feb 1, 2008, 02:20 PM
Just got back from the store. I left with the first MBA sold today. (got the superdrive too) They only had two of the base model in stock. Second was sold while I was being rung up from the sales guy's pocketpc register.

ViperrepiV
Feb 1, 2008, 02:22 PM
okay basically when they are telling people that they are "out of stock" we have no idea if they are full of **** or not. but based on what people are staying (oh, they have them , they don't, no wait! they do!), i'd be willing to bet that they are full out ****.

kernyboy
Feb 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
cambridge side said they had them, have them on display. should get some more tomorrow. bet your bottom dollar I'll be there before the store opens!

Interesting... I was in there shortly after 1:00 and was checking out the demo units. seemed to be the SSD b/c I clicked on the profiler and it said it no Serial-ATA Drive. Very Speedy Machine. I still won't buy one though.

In Regards to the quanity of stock: I didn't ask specfically but there was a sales guy and a lady next to me, and she seemed pretty close to be ready to buy one.

Toknee
Feb 1, 2008, 02:25 PM
Apple SOHO has both for sale, just picked up an SSD version.

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 02:28 PM
Someone in NY went to SoHo store in NYC and is getting one for me right now. 1.8 SSD

matthewHUB
Feb 1, 2008, 02:29 PM

RUN SOME BENCHMARKS AND POST!!!!

P
L
E
A
S
E

bjdraw
Feb 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
I ran xbench on the 1.8/ssd on display.

I've attached the file.

emil10001
Feb 1, 2008, 02:32 PM
cambridge side said they had them, have them on display. should get some more tomorrow. bet your bottom dollar I'll be there before the store opens!

Heh, I'm going to stop by on my way home from work, because I didn't get to check out the unit when I was there earlier. But, I guess I'll probably be seeing you tomorrow morning.

Also, I called them at 1:30, and was told that they were selling them (which I knew), and that it was unlikely that they would be getting more than one shipment per day. The guy said to check back tomorrow morning, first thing.

SteveSparks
Feb 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hmm

I wonder when Texas will get some stock! This is driving m crazy!

kernyboy
Feb 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
i took am heading there after work (just in case someone makes a return ;) )

in any event, lets meet up! lol. I get off work at 5

Heh, I'm going to stop by on my way home from work, because I didn't get to check out the unit when I was there earlier. But, I guess I'll probably be seeing you tomorrow morning.

Also, I called them at 1:30, and was told that they were selling them (which I knew), and that it was unlikely that they would be getting more than one shipment per day. The guy said to check back tomorrow morning, first thing.

drackett
Feb 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
I just called the Michigan store out of curiosity. I asked if they had gotten the air in yet and the lady said:

"we haven't received them yet"

I then told her that a friend of mine just told me they bought one there and she told me:

"Oh, well then they must have bought some of the very few we had in stock earlier today."

I see...

emil10001
Feb 1, 2008, 02:39 PM
i took am heading there after work (just in case someone makes a return ;) )

in any event, lets meet up! lol. I get off work at 5

Sorry, I'm leaving in like 10 minutes. Also, I think my gf wants me home soon. But, I'll likely see you tomorrow morning. Bright and early... hopefully bright anyways.

sosnow
Feb 1, 2008, 02:40 PM
I just called the Michigan store out of curiosity. I asked if they had gotten the air in yet and the lady said:

"we haven't received them yet"

I then told her that a friend of mine just told me they bought one there and she told me:

"Oh, well then they must have bought some of the very few we had in stock earlier today."

I see...

I just spoke with the deerpark store and said Michigan ave is selling them!
He said that is the flagship store and he thought they may get a few units first. He also said he did not think they would have any for sale until wed.:mad:

This is really starting to piss me off! Maybe Apple should become a political party with all the double talk I heard in the last day:)

ciparis
Feb 1, 2008, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't get worked up over what the guy or gal who answers the phone thinks is going to happen. They're just not in a position to know; most of the floor staff won't know when it's going to be available for sale until it's available for sale.

jameskohn
Feb 1, 2008, 02:46 PM
Stamford , CT Apple store said call back after 7:30, or tomorrow morning first thing. I have a feeling there are going to be MBA's aplenty over the next 48 hours.

drackett
Feb 1, 2008, 02:51 PM
Would apple really take the effort to send a store only 2 units for sale? that sounds insane to me.. Why not wait till you can ship a full box?

singersongwrite
Feb 1, 2008, 02:56 PM
got the runaround on the phone all morning with all the different l.a. stores.
finally went to the grove, even though they told me none for 2 weeks!
there was one demo. then i asked and was told they had just received 9 of them, but only the ssd version. i said i would spring for it, and he went to get me one. after a bit he came down with one, but he hadn't seen on the label it was actually the standard 80gb 1.6. i bought it on the spot (and saved an impulse 1000.00!!!), from the guy who sold the first iphone in los angeles, he said i was the first air sale in l.a., and we got a picture together on his iphone. btw i am a singer, matthew sweet, but i don't think he would know me--i told him anyway!:) since it was his photo...:)

i haven't even opened it yet, as i wanted to let you all know ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE it's worth a trip to the store today just in case!

netdog
Feb 1, 2008, 02:58 PM
SSD b/c I clicked on the profiler and it said it no Serial-ATA Drive. Very Speedy Machine. I still won't buy one though.

So the SSD is PATA? The Apple site, which makes it clear that the 80GB is P-ATA, makes no comment on the interface of the SSD.

island
Feb 1, 2008, 03:00 PM
Stamford , CT Apple store said call back after 7:30, or tomorrow morning first thing. I have a feeling there are going to be MBA's aplenty over the next 48 hours.

I'm heading down there shortly to hang out and see what's up for tonight, might stop by the White plains store too if no luck in Stamford...

island
Feb 1, 2008, 03:00 PM
So the SSD is PATA? The Apple site, which makes it clear that the 80GB is P-ATA, makes no comment on the interface of the SSD.

It's PATA for the SSD, checked it in the Apple Store 5th Ave last night.

weeman
Feb 1, 2008, 03:03 PM
Has anyone heard anything about people buying MBA at the apple stores in the Orange County area? I was gonna head into an apple store today early in the morning but after waking up at 730 and reading the stats on the east coast, I figured they werent for sale today. Looks like Im gonna have to make an early trip to the apple store tomorrow.

cheapa55
Feb 1, 2008, 03:05 PM
got the runaround on the phone all morning with all the different l.a. stores.
finally went to the grove, even though they told me none for 2 weeks!
there was one demo. then i asked and was told they had just received 9 of them, but only the ssd version. i said i would spring for it, and he went to get me one. after a bit he came down with one, but he hadn't seen on the label it was actually the standard 80gb 1.6. i bought it on the spot (and saved an impulse 1000.00!!!), from the guy who sold the first iphone in los angeles, he said i was the first air sale in l.a., and we got a picture together on his iphone. btw i am a singer, matthew sweet, but i don't think he would know me--i told him anyway!:) since it was his photo...:)

i haven't even opened it yet, as i wanted to let you all know ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE it's worth a trip to the store today just in case!

Sweet! no pun intended. I wonder if any stores will have any left tomorrow. I am in central CA and will be heading down south tonight. Not sure I can afford the impulse $1000 but you never know.

So we got someone famous on this forum!!! Nice! Anyone else? I'm a famous doctor in town. but only a few thousand know me. I don't think that counts. :)

seecoolguy
Feb 1, 2008, 03:11 PM
i bought one i bought one - 14th st store in manhattan - they had a limited quantity. they had the SSD's on display - man are they fast - but didn't have any to sell - only the base model - man is it sweet!!!

Did you get a chance to benchmark any of the speeds on the ssd? I did notice that the SSD model was ultra fast compared to the base model. I stopped by at the Thousand Oaks store and they said they wouldn't have any until maybe tonight (standard answer).

What I did see was how quickly it booted up... I should have timed it, but I think it was within 15 seconds.

Unconsoled
Feb 1, 2008, 03:23 PM
Anyone heard anything in Seattle. I called U Village and they said they had a demo and I could "come on down and play with it". Hoping he was talking about the MBA. He said there were none in stock and didn't think today at all. The girl who answered at Alderwood said "yes they were for sale!!! But we haven't gotten any in the store yet. Maybe tomorrow. Oh, we don't get shipments Saturdays. Maybe Monday. Try Monday."

WTF? Seems like they would have some pretty angry people looking at the demos and wanting to buy them but not being able too.

This is the hardest time I have ever had trying to give some one $1800.

spyker3292
Feb 1, 2008, 03:28 PM
Ahh! None is Bayshore... :( (WI).

jman2003
Feb 1, 2008, 03:29 PM
I was there in person.. and who even ships on sunday?
idk

The Evan
Feb 1, 2008, 03:31 PM
Any news regarding the Orlando's stores?

I just called Millenia Mall again, and they have display units but "no idea" when they'll have units for sale.

I'm heading over there in about an hour to test one out and decide if I really want to buy one; maybe I'll get a better idea of when they'll actually sell these things.

shimmer11
Ahh! None is Bayshore... :( (WI).

Did you go to the store or call? I have been getting the run around at the Mayfair store, they have demo units, but none in stock. Frustrating.:mad:

voicegy
Friday the 1st - visited the Fashion Valley Store - no demos, none in, no indication when. :mad:

shk718
Feb 1, 2008, 03:33 PM
Did you get a chance to benchmark any of the speeds on the ssd? I did notice that the SSD model was ultra fast compared to the base model. I stopped by at the Thousand Oaks store and they said they wouldn't have any until maybe tonight (standard answer).

What I did see was how quickly it booted up... I should have timed it, but I think it was within 15 seconds.

no i didn't get a chance to benchmark - i didn't even have a chance to see it boot up - but i did open some apps - and man did they open fast!!!

teerexx52
[QUOTE

This is the hardest time I have ever had trying to give some one $1800.[/QUOTE]

Oh how I agree!!!! Well put!!! Question is why should it be this way? I think people would be happy if they just knew when they would be sold in stores.

aep42686
Has anyone been to the denver area stores yet??????

Pdrickey
Feb 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
Friday the 1st - visited the Fashion Valley Store - no demos, none in, no indication when. :mad:

If your in San Diego check the UTC location. I purchased a 1.6 80 from there this morning. They also have SSD demos...

Fgozalo
Feb 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
I just called Millenia Mall again, and they have display units but "no idea" when they'll have units for sale.

I'm heading over there in about an hour to test one out and decide if I really want to buy one; maybe I'll get a better idea of when they'll actually sell these things.

Sweet dude! Please keep me updated! I'm very eager and anxious. Reply me with any info you get. Because then, if needed I'll call my employees that are in the region to go ASAP to the store and get me one.

PS: If you get a change to buy one, ask for 2, the 2nd one you can hide somewhere in the store so my associates can get one for me!

CHEERS.

Truz21
Feb 1, 2008, 03:44 PM
Been calling multiple stores in New Jersey today. Most have the demos but none in stock.

Interestingly the Freehold Raceway Mall Store is taking down names and phone numbers and will call as soon as they are available. So i signed up, couldn't hurt.

The rep was really nice (compared to short hills store) and asked if I was look for the HD or SSD. I said "at this point, either". Hehe, she just wanted to make sure I knew the difference in price if I was willing to take either.

samcheezay
Feb 1, 2008, 03:50 PM
alright so went down to sf downtown on stockton st to check out the new MBA during lunch and I must say w/my gf, I am quite impressed by the design and how thin this thing is. Literally, this thing is super thin. its like little sheets of paper stacked together.

The Design - very impressed, very thin, well structured and overall, durable

The Speed - I was playing with both normal HDD and SSD MBA's. The HDD is okay. wasn't expecting that much because of the 1.6ghz speed of the core 2 duo's but nonetheless, still functioned pretty well.
The SSD was nice and fast. Opened up safari, itunes, and other programs pretty fast. Was quite shocked. However; garageband and etc. took awhile to load.

Overall the speed was okay but still impressed by them for sticking in a core 2 duo in the MBAs

The Sound - okay, this is the moment I've been waiting for because reading and hearing that it was only mono instead of stero (which killed me) I had to find out how well the sound was going to output on 1 speaker. I was very well impressed, but I could tell that it was only coming out from right side of the speaker. It gave me a =\ perception on it and wished they would've done more.

Overall, get this laptop if you're just going to use internet, word, and itunes. It really is cool but not for me.

Here some pics I took off my blackberry :D

Jsn
Feb 1, 2008, 03:52 PM
I bought a 1.6 MBA about an hour ago, at the Apple Store in Corte Madera (across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco). Like everyone else, I couldn't get a straight answer from them over the phone, so I walked in, pointed to the one unit on display and said, "I want one!". The employee neither confirmed or denied that they were on sale: he asked me to wait a few minutes, then emerged from the back room with one and happily took my credit card.

As soon as the transaction was done, I observed that there was a lot of confusion about the availability of these things. He agreed; apparently the salesforce is legitimately muddled about the on-sale date. (It's nice to know they're not intentionally yanking our chain.)

Anyway, I've put off the unboxing to post this. So, I'm gonna enjoy now...

toomuchmac
Feb 1, 2008, 03:53 PM
Has anyone been to the denver area stores yet??????

I posted about this on page 7 or 8, I think. Message heading was "Denver, Colorado."

I went back to the Cherry Creek store about 1:45 MST and they still said none for sale and still only had the one demo and one window display.

The blue-shirt told me they'd have some "very soon." What the heck? Does that mean 6pm a la iPhone? Or is he a not a ravenous fanboy who wants one now and "soon" means Tuesday?

One thing, though, that the blue shirt this morning and the one in the afternoon said was that I could order online and expect the typical quick shipping, not the 2-3 weeks it actually says. I guess they are trying to deflect people from the store but let them know there is decent availability now for order online.

The wait goes on...

island
Feb 1, 2008, 03:57 PM
The way Apple is handling this is pretty aggravating. Why put out units if they are not available and why have units in some stores and then lie to people on the phone.

I think they figure the people calling will be buying it anyway and they rather save the stock for walk-ins that might want it since they might be an impulse buy.

I love Apple but I hope this product bombs big for them for the hassle they are causing.

mashoutposse
Feb 1, 2008, 03:59 PM

Me too :D ;)

You're the f'in man for giving me the heads up, dude.

jshapnyc
Feb 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
Has anyone been to 5th Ave? I want to buy another unit this evening as a gift but they are telling me they have none in stock. Soho still has them so I don't get with 5th wouldn't. Anyone been there?

knelto
Feb 1, 2008, 04:01 PM
I can confirm that the Apple Store in The Woodlands, TX has demo units... in fact I'm typing on one right now...

sfreni
Feb 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
I work in the logistics industry and find it unacceptable that each and every store cannot tell their loyal customers, specifically, when the MBA would arrive and available for sale. There is no way a corporation like Apple does not have a well defined and specific roll out plan. Furthermore, as a previous person stated, there is no way Apple shipped 'just enough' MBA to each store for display.... It is insulting that when you call the stores no one seems to know or be willing to say anything. I echo the previous comment about how hard Apple is making it for me to give them my $1800+ dollars. Yet all the complaints aside, when I finally find the store that has the MBA or the MBA I have on order arrives, I will gladly fork over the money and head home with a smile. We are all truly a sick bunch...... Oh by the way, the MBA I ordered on 1/18 is still ‘not yet shipped’, however I was just notified that the Superdrive has shipped and will arrive on Monday….. damn you Apple…..

aep42686
Feb 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
I posted about this on page 7 or 8, I think. Message heading was "Denver, Colorado."

I went back to the Cherry Creek store about 1:45 MST and they still said none for sale and still only had the one demo and one window display.

The blue-shirt told me they'd have some "very soon." What the heck? Does that mean 6pm a la iPhone? Or is he a not a ravenous fanboy who wants one now and "soon" means Tuesday?

One thing, though, that the blue shirt this morning and the one in the afternoon said was that I could order online and expect the typical quick shipping, not the 2-3 weeks it actually says. I guess they are trying to deflect people from the store but let them know there is decent availability now for order online.

The wait goes on...

Thanks i really wanna check one out.... illl head over later......

Manatee
Feb 1, 2008, 04:12 PM
It would be so interesting to see the document that says how many units are to be shipped to each store on each day for the first couple of weeks of the product's life.

Is it likely that it's based on past sales volume of laptops? Or the "prestige factor" of the particular location?

It's not surprising that the big NY, SF, and LA would have it first, but I wonder how the allocation is done beyond those locations.

Eric Lewis
Feb 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
TORONTO? anyone?

ccantrell
Feb 1, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks i really wanna check one out.... illl head over later......

I just called the Park Meadows store and they are not yet on display. When I asked ... the young lady was laughing and responded "soon". You can tell they have them but sounds like they CANT sell them yet. You could tell she really wanted to tell me when but she was not allowed too. I asked about a possible 6PM iphone type release and she said No ... and was pretty confident about it. We shall see.

-chris