PDA

View Full Version : Anyone regret buying the MBA?

Zeos
Feb 7, 2008, 11:41 AM
I am thinking about buying the MBA along with an iMac. Does anyone here regret buying the first-gen MBA? How does it work as a satellite laptop?

kyleen66
Feb 7, 2008, 11:46 AM
Not so far!

But most of us have had them for a week at most.

This would probably be better asked two to three weeks from now when folks have been using them for a bit longer.

;)

richard371
Feb 7, 2008, 11:51 AM
some of them have some serious battery charging issues right now. Do some research on here and apple discusions and you will see.

Not so far!

But most of us have had them for a week at most.

This would probably be better asked two to three weeks from now when folks have been using them for a bit longer.

;)

Cybergypsy
Feb 7, 2008, 11:57 AM
Nope not at all :)

ahaxton
Feb 7, 2008, 11:58 AM
Nope not one bit. Thankfully anything I have come to experience bug wise has been easily fixed just playing around with it. My battery now charges fully just fine. Just software bugs.

dwc
Feb 7, 2008, 12:06 PM
Nope. Mine is perfect. No issues.

I hope everyone else enjoys there's.

camarobh
Feb 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've had mine for 2 days....you couldn't pry it out of my hands if you tried. I am totally pleased, it has met or exceeded all of my expectations.

bjdraw
Feb 7, 2008, 03:06 PM
I love mine, I can't get over how fast it is. I've had a few ultra-portable laptops in the past and they've all been slow.

As for battery, it lasts me the entire evening and it's charged the next day. Never paid attention to how long it actually took though.

drchipinski
Feb 7, 2008, 03:06 PM
great topic.....I am still waiting for mine

roland.g
Feb 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
Nope not one bit. Thankfully anything I have come to experience bug wise has been easily fixed just playing around with it. My battery now charges fully just fine. Just software bugs.

Can you elaborate more on the battery. That is one thing that worries me.

mcvaughan
Lovin' it! :)

loghyr
I did for the first hour I had it home - it looks big.

But it does what I want and has been easy to hook up to an external monitor.

I've reinstalled OS X several times to reduce clutter and that has been painless - i.e., it just worked with my Sony 810U external dvd drive.

It is quiet.

And I'm learning how to work with OS X.

So no, no regrets and I wouldn't take it back.

profiteor
Feb 7, 2008, 03:52 PM
Love it so far. A few bugs induced by Migration Assistant, but other than that, the battery charges just fine, the fans are silent now (unless I'm actually pegging the system), and there's a line at my office to see the thing. :)

dthree36
Feb 7, 2008, 04:17 PM
I love mine still, and now that I have my apps on it and have used it for two full days, no complaints. Even the amount of money doesn't bother me one bit.

A rare purchase that I have not seconded guessed. Only time will tell, me being a tech junkie, will probably second guess if the Macbook Pro is release with a slim screen and it is now .78" all the way around but square.

This is not my only workstation, I have an IMac more horse power if I need it.

steve31
Feb 7, 2008, 04:55 PM
No not yet. But I do have one very small issue with mine.....There is a very small "dimple" on the metal thing around the screen where the magnet is.:rolleyes: You have to run your finger down the metal to feel it. But apart from that I really love this notebook so far.:D I am VERY pleased at the sound that one small speaker has in this.

NAG
Feb 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
Can you elaborate more on the battery. That is one thing that worries me.

Basically it takes around 5 or so hours to charge the thing from empty and the time estimates are completely off. It says 2.5 hours and then works it way down to 50 minutes and then jumps back up to 2.5 hours again. I think Apple screwed up on the firmware or something (so we'll probably see an update for this in a few months).

rittchard
Feb 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
No regrets thus far, but it's early. Ask me again when they announce a Penryn version or drop the price $200 :) In fact, it's thus far exceeded my expectations, which were fairly high to begin with.

TEG
Feb 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
Basically it takes around 5 or so hours to charge the thing from empty and the time estimates are completely off. It says 2.5 hours and then works it way down to 50 minutes and then jumps back up to 2.5 hours again. I think Apple screwed up on the firmware or something (so we'll probably see an update for this in a few months).

From what I've read it is a problem with the PMU. A PMU Reset usually fixes the problem (Command+Option+Power+Shift).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429395

TEG

brasscat
Feb 7, 2008, 05:05 PM
So far so good. It can't stream hulu.com (dvd quality) video for long though-- it heats up and then the processor throttles down impacting the refresh rate. The machine excels at basic document creation, web browsing, etc. For this kind of work, the fan doesn't even turn on and my 1.6 is exceptionally snappy.

The screen can get extremely bright. I'd never use it at max brightness.

Any graphics intensive work, games will drain the battery quickly.

For web browsing, e-mailing, etc, the battery lasts a little over 4 hours in my experience.... and I'm a pretty heavy wifi user.

cohibadad
Feb 7, 2008, 05:26 PM
love mine. works perfectly. feather light.

BWhaler
Feb 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
No regrets so far.

All I have done is install software. I am calibrating the battery since I showed a charge when I first booted it of 1.5 hours, but it lasted 3+ hours.

I don't have the wobble problem or issues with the fans as far as I can tell--fingers crossed.

But I am still nervous about the purchase. I am pleased with it so far: the screen, the keyboard, fast for my needs.

But given Apple's horrific quality over the past couple of years--screens, heat, noise, build, etc.--I am still apprehensive about it. I just hope I got a quality build.

I am holding off really using this until 10.5.2. Leopard is just a mess right now.

robrose20
Feb 7, 2008, 06:22 PM
I am thinking about buying the MBA along with an iMac. Does anyone here regret buying the first-gen MBA? How does it work as a satellite laptop?

You know whats funny ... I am a big detractor of the MB Air, but too be honest, I really really want one. It would be perfect for me, I give a lot of presentations and would love a ultralight laptop that I can load my presentations on and bring with me around the city. I wish it had more connectivity. I don't think I will get the first rev but will wait for an update.....

JasonBourne9
Feb 7, 2008, 06:24 PM
No regrets. Happy with mine.

Only issue is that I have too many computers. At least this one takes up very little space.

NAG
Feb 7, 2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah, waiting for an update isn't a bad idea if you don't need it. It is nice for presentations though.

ajaidev
Feb 7, 2008, 06:43 PM
Not at all just sad about its common processer (intel) tough its just wonderfull u can take your computer everywhere...lol:p

BTW when i bought my G5 Dual core back in the day i did regret that...a lot:(

aiongiant
Feb 7, 2008, 06:56 PM
i love my mba =)

mpetrides
Feb 7, 2008, 07:16 PM
No regrets here. It was love at first sight. I don't intend for my MBA to replace either my iMac (Intel) or my MacBook Pro but rather to provide a more compact, lighter alternative when size/weight matter.

I just wish I could get my mitts on a Superdrive and a USB dongle (access to intranet at work is via wired ethernet, not wireless).

TxMacAddict
Feb 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
There were a couple of things that sold me on the MBA:

1. Macbook dimensions
2. Macbook Pro style aluminum case & magnetic latch
3. LED backlit screen like MBP
4. backlit keyboard is a nice touch
5. only 3 lbs. but still has full size kb and 13.3" screen

Exactly what I was looking for except I would like more power of course.

raremage
Feb 7, 2008, 09:49 PM
While I wouldn;t say I regret getting mine, I do wonder if I shoud have grabbed the SSD instead of the entry level model.

Not because of any performance issues - I am pleasantly surprised at the performance that I have seen, including running Fusion VMs - but because of the potential for power savings.

PkennethV
Feb 7, 2008, 09:55 PM
While I wouldn;t say I regret getting mine, I do wonder if I shoud have grabbed the SSD instead of the entry level model.

Not because of any performance issues - I am pleasantly surprised at the performance that I have seen, including running Fusion VMs - but because of the potential for power savings.

There are now tests out comparing the battery life between the HDD and SSD and there is no real useful difference. Sorry, I would link you to the thread, but I don't remember which exactly (it's one of them that made it to the front page 2 or so days ago).