Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I am thinking about buying the MBA along with an iMac. Does anyone here regret buying the first-gen MBA? How does it work as a satellite laptop?

kyleen66

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Not so far!

But most of us have had them for a week at most.

This would probably be better asked two to three weeks from now when folks have been using them for a bit longer.

;)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
some of them have some serious battery charging issues right now. Do some research on here and apple discusions and you will see.

Not so far!

But most of us have had them for a week at most.

This would probably be better asked two to three weeks from now when folks have been using them for a bit longer.

;)

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Nope not one bit. Thankfully anything I have come to experience bug wise has been easily fixed just playing around with it. My battery now charges fully just fine. Just software bugs.

dwc

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
FL
Nope. Mine is perfect. No issues.

I hope everyone else enjoys there's.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Two days

I've had mine for 2 days....you couldn't pry it out of my hands if you tried. I am totally pleased, it has met or exceeded all of my expectations.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
I love mine, I can't get over how fast it is. I've had a few ultra-portable laptops in the past and they've all been slow.

As for battery, it lasts me the entire evening and it's charged the next day. Never paid attention to how long it actually took though.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Nope not one bit. Thankfully anything I have come to experience bug wise has been easily fixed just playing around with it. My battery now charges fully just fine. Just software bugs.

Can you elaborate more on the battery. That is one thing that worries me.

loghyr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I did for the first hour I had it home - it looks big.

But it does what I want and has been easy to hook up to an external monitor.

I've reinstalled OS X several times to reduce clutter and that has been painless - i.e., it just worked with my Sony 810U external dvd drive.

It is quiet.

And I'm learning how to work with OS X.

So no, no regrets and I wouldn't take it back.

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Love it so far. A few bugs induced by Migration Assistant, but other than that, the battery charges just fine, the fans are silent now (unless I'm actually pegging the system), and there's a line at my office to see the thing. :)

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Love mine 1.8 SSD

I love mine still, and now that I have my apps on it and have used it for two full days, no complaints. Even the amount of money doesn't bother me one bit.

A rare purchase that I have not seconded guessed. Only time will tell, me being a tech junkie, will probably second guess if the Macbook Pro is release with a slim screen and it is now .78" all the way around but square.

This is not my only workstation, I have an IMac more horse power if I need it.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
No not yet. But I do have one very small issue with mine.....There is a very small "dimple" on the metal thing around the screen where the magnet is.:rolleyes: You have to run your finger down the metal to feel it. But apart from that I really love this notebook so far.:D I am VERY pleased at the sound that one small speaker has in this.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Can you elaborate more on the battery. That is one thing that worries me.

Basically it takes around 5 or so hours to charge the thing from empty and the time estimates are completely off. It says 2.5 hours and then works it way down to 50 minutes and then jumps back up to 2.5 hours again. I think Apple screwed up on the firmware or something (so we'll probably see an update for this in a few months).

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
No regrets thus far, but it's early. Ask me again when they announce a Penryn version or drop the price $200 :) In fact, it's thus far exceeded my expectations, which were fairly high to begin with.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Basically it takes around 5 or so hours to charge the thing from empty and the time estimates are completely off. It says 2.5 hours and then works it way down to 50 minutes and then jumps back up to 2.5 hours again. I think Apple screwed up on the firmware or something (so we'll probably see an update for this in a few months).

From what I've read it is a problem with the PMU. A PMU Reset usually fixes the problem (Command+Option+Power+Shift).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/429395/

TEG

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
So far so good. It can't stream hulu.com (dvd quality) video for long though-- it heats up and then the processor throttles down impacting the refresh rate. The machine excels at basic document creation, web browsing, etc. For this kind of work, the fan doesn't even turn on and my 1.6 is exceptionally snappy.

The screen can get extremely bright. I'd never use it at max brightness.

Any graphics intensive work, games will drain the battery quickly.

For web browsing, e-mailing, etc, the battery lasts a little over 4 hours in my experience.... and I'm a pretty heavy wifi user.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
No regrets so far.

All I have done is install software. I am calibrating the battery since I showed a charge when I first booted it of 1.5 hours, but it lasted 3+ hours.

I don't have the wobble problem or issues with the fans as far as I can tell--fingers crossed.

But I am still nervous about the purchase. I am pleased with it so far: the screen, the keyboard, fast for my needs.

But given Apple's horrific quality over the past couple of years--screens, heat, noise, build, etc.--I am still apprehensive about it. I just hope I got a quality build.

I am holding off really using this until 10.5.2. Leopard is just a mess right now.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I am thinking about buying the MBA along with an iMac. Does anyone here regret buying the first-gen MBA? How does it work as a satellite laptop?

You know whats funny ... I am a big detractor of the MB Air, but too be honest, I really really want one. It would be perfect for me, I give a lot of presentations and would love a ultralight laptop that I can load my presentations on and bring with me around the city. I wish it had more connectivity. I don't think I will get the first rev but will wait for an update.....

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
No regrets. Happy with mine.

Only issue is that I have too many computers. At least this one takes up very little space.

ajaidev

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Not at all just sad about its common processer (intel) tough its just wonderfull u can take your computer everywhere...lol:p

BTW when i bought my G5 Dual core back in the day i did regret that...a lot:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.