PDA

View Full Version : Any issues with the MP w/8800GT?

GroundLoop
Feb 8, 2008, 11:55 AM
For those that have recieved their MP w/8800GT, could you post to this thread and tell us if you are seeing any of the issues that the extremely early adopters were seeing (resart on wake from sleep, hard drive issues, etc)?

Thanks,
Hickman

ErikAndre
Feb 8, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'd be interested in hearing about details too.

hairnesto
Feb 8, 2008, 12:49 PM
does anybody have an answer on the double power connection????
http://picasaweb.google.com/feelitmon/UnboxingTheFruit/photo#5164349678821673442
there is an extra connection on the side of the 8800gt card
is that going to have any problems connecting the 8800 on to my 3.0 Mp early 2008

greenmeanie
Feb 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
Mine is doing what the ATI is doing locking up.

ErikAndre
Feb 8, 2008, 01:38 PM

Your Mac Pro w/8800GT is locking up? If so, when are you noticing the lockup?

mogrefy
Feb 8, 2008, 01:40 PM

When is it locking up? What is your machine configuration?

GroundLoop
Feb 8, 2008, 01:53 PM

Is it primarily occurring after the machine wakes from sleep?

Hickman

diamond.g
Feb 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
does anybody have an answer on the double power connection????
http://picasaweb.google.com/feelitmon/UnboxingTheFruit/photo#5164349678821673442
there is an extra connection on the side of the 8800gt card
is that going to have any problems connecting the 8800 on to my 3.0 Mp early 2008

There should be only 1 6pin pcie power plug on the card. Does anyone know whos card it is (eVGA, PNY, BFG, etc)?

hairnesto
Feb 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
There should be only 1 6pin pcie power plug on the card. Does anyone know whos card it is (eVGA, PNY, BFG, etc)?

noticed that !of the 1 6pin power plug

student_trap
Feb 8, 2008, 02:21 PM

this is not good

hairnesto
Feb 8, 2008, 02:25 PM

could you confirm if this fotohttp://picasaweb.google.com/feelitmon/UnboxingTheFruit/photo#5164349678821673442
is true about the connections

faumble
Feb 8, 2008, 02:35 PM
so if it is also freezing with the 8800 can we conclude it is a software thing that will be solved with an update like 10.5.2? or could it be something else?

Mr.PS
Feb 8, 2008, 02:38 PM
It's probably software then... **** who am I kidding. This is horrible, how can this be? Why is Apple releasing hardware/software with issues?

yukio
Feb 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
it's a little dark in the pic so i can't be sure - but i have an 8800gt on a pc and think the connection you speak of - edge connector at top of the board near the DVI plug side of the card - is the SLI connector for daisy-chaining multiple NVidia cards together.

jb60606
Feb 8, 2008, 03:11 PM
It's probably software then... **** who am I kidding. This is horrible, how can this be? Why is Apple releasing hardware/software with issues?

because all of their attention and quality control is going to the iPhone. If you think it's bad now, wait five years when they've increased their marketshare 10-fold

gdieter
Feb 8, 2008, 03:15 PM

Um, because all the beta testers (sorry, early adopters) are already ringing the phone off the hook demanding free overnight and $100 back...

faumble
Feb 8, 2008, 03:25 PM
Um, because all the beta testers (sorry, early adopters) are already ringing the phone off the hook demanding free overnight and $100 back...
maybe if we cry like people did when they lowered the iphone price we can cry about how buggy they are and they will lower the price and give early adopters $100 bucks!....um,just maybe.. but really if the iphone early adopters all got a reward for believing in apple and they paid $599, shouldn't someone that paid $3000 or $5000 deserve the same for believing in apple, even more with some of the ati models not working correctly?

snagitseven
Feb 8, 2008, 03:25 PM

Seems like a bit soon to be jumping off a cliff yet. It's one guy's post with a one-liner and no details provided. Everyone should wait and see if others are having any issues.

mogrefy
Feb 8, 2008, 03:35 PM
Seems like a bit soon to be jumping off a cliff yet. It's one guy's post with a one-liner and no details provided. Everyone should wait and see if others are having any issues.

I completely agree, one liner with no further details definitely does not confirm anything yet!

videomaven
Feb 8, 2008, 03:36 PM
I believe the 10.5.2 will solve a number of graphics-related issues. There are at least a few that I know of but, being under NDA, I won't say even anonymously! But I can say that there is a graphics update in 10.5.2 and developers have been testing that.

Makes me glad now that my MP order is stuck somewhere. Hopefully 10.5.2 will be out by the time mine finally arrives.

Wild-Bill
Feb 8, 2008, 03:47 PM

Care to provide us with some more info???

So far you are the only person on MR who has stated this. We need details! Locking up during 3d applications? Locking up after waking from sleep? Locking up while just sitting dormant on the desktop?

Please feed our need for intel. :D

barefeats
Feb 8, 2008, 03:48 PM
There are two 6 pin PCIe bay power connectors on the motherboard. They can be used to power two Radeon X1900 XTs. (The Radeon HD 2600 XT needs no power source other than what's provided by the PCIe slot.)

I don't know how many feeds the GeForce 8800 GT requires. It should come with the proprietary power cable(s) with 6 pin connectors on each end.

The Quadro FX 5600 is a power "pig" and requires two power feeds. Ditto for the GeForce FX 8800 GTX we got to work under Vista 64 in our Mac Pro.

faumble
Feb 8, 2008, 03:52 PM
I completely agree, one liner with no further details definitely does not confirm anything yet!
maybe we freak out, but the ati freezing issue is what started it all, and what pisses me off is how the early adopters of the iphone got a reward for believing in apple, the macpro takes over a year to get updated, we pay a LOT for it,like jb60606 says, the quality controls has gone somewhere else...

Mark Fletcher
Feb 8, 2008, 04:07 PM
For the people who have the 2008 Mac Pro's with 8800 GT's... if you have an old 2006/2007 Mac Pro lying around you could try putting the 8800GT into it and see if it boots?

Thanks,

Mark

SolrFlare
Feb 8, 2008, 04:11 PM
No lockups, sleep problems so far here with my 8800gt. Where exactly should I be seeing them. For reference my Mac Pro woke from sleep just fine.

Edit: in fact the only issue so far was it didn't like installing vista 64 with my raptor drive in bay 3. Once I put it in either bay 2 or 1 it worked fine. That and my 7200.11 baracuda was a sd14 stinker :P So I had to flash the firmware with my PC and it works great now.

tugger
Feb 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
maybe we freak out, but the ati freezing issue is what started it all
I agree. People go bananas so easily. Maybe something to do with mob psychology.

Originally I ordered the 2.8/8800GT, but decided I didn't want to wait another 3 weeks for delivery. Reports of glitches with the ATI card concerned me, but not enough to prevent me from going with the stock model and a stand-alone 8800GT.

Anyway, I've been running the 2.8 Quad for 48 hours without a hint of a bug, fart or hiccup. The first day I made no changes. Yesterday I added 2x2GB OWC chips and a couple of HDDs. It's awesome: quiet, cool, stable and damn fast. Playing UT2K4 at 100 fps is better than sex (ok, I exaggerate a little). :D

For sure, some people will have problems with the 8800GT. There are issues with any new hardware/software release. It's the nature of the beast. :eek: Expecting otherwise is a set-up for unnecessary suffering.

FastMan
Feb 8, 2008, 04:35 PM
Playing UT2K4 at 100 fps is better than sex :D

But your lady says not as fast
:D

Mr.PS
Feb 8, 2008, 05:37 PM
Will the original poster please describe the god damn issues he/she is having with the 8800GT. I really hope it's not just someone jerking us all around. Or a disgruntled customer who hasn't gotten their 8800GT yet and ordered in January.

Post a screen pic, describe the issue, describe it in detail, when did it happen, in what app, maybe some kernel messages. Anything to help us all understand the problem better.

We're all waiting here, all of us spent a good chunk of $ on this machine and obviously want the best performance. Most importantly we want it to work flawlessly.

This is my 2nd order, I returned my first box and re-ordered with the 8800GT, this is not what I want to hear!

midiotlv
Feb 8, 2008, 05:41 PM
I used mine all last night without so much as a hiccup (one network drop, but I think that was my fault).

I have not tried the sleep thing yet..but will try tonight and see what happens....man work day is long with that new mac at home. :)

-D

FastMan
Feb 8, 2008, 05:44 PM
Will the original poster please describe the god damn issues he/she is having with the 8800GT. I really hope it's not just someone jerking us all around. Or a disgruntled customer who hasn't gotten their 8800GT yet and ordered in January.

Chill for a bit, P. This smells very much like someone trying to pull our chain. :mad: Wait for confirmation to get twisted

Mr.PS
Feb 8, 2008, 06:59 PM
Chill for a bit, P. This smells very much like someone trying to pull our chain. :mad: Wait for confirmation to get twisted

I hope so!

student_trap
Feb 8, 2008, 07:04 PM
I hope so!

me too, although im beginning to think that this is all a ruse (touches wood)! either that or greenmeanie doesn't check mr as often as i do (is that a bad thing?)!:confused:

tugger
Feb 8, 2008, 07:11 PM
Last night on Most Amazing Police Videos there was a bit about this dude at a gas station. After pre-paying at the counter the customer went outside to pump his gas but the confused clerk screwed up and put the gas credit on the wrong pump. After a few minutes the customer came back into the store and asked the clerk to correct the error. The hapless clerk could not think outside the box and insisted the customer was wrong. The customer escalated to demanding, then yelling, and eventually trashed a few product displays in the store and stomped out. After seeing the store's security vid on the TV news, the customer turned himself in and the whole deal cost him $10K in damages, fines and court costs.

Do you hear yourself? I'm starting to feel like one of the bystanders when that dude went postal.

Mr.PS
Feb 8, 2008, 07:25 PM
Last night on Most Amazing Police Videos there was a bit about this dude at a gas station. After pre-paying at the counter the customer went outside to pump his gas but the confused clerk screwed up and put the gas credit on the wrong pump. After a few minutes the customer came back into the store and asked the clerk to correct the error. The hapless clerk could not think outside the box and insisted the customer was wrong. The customer escalated to demanding, then yelling, and eventually trashed a few product displays in the store and stomped out. After seeing the store's security vid on the TV news, the customer turned himself in and the whole deal cost him $10K in damages, fines and court costs.

Do you hear yourself? I'm starting to feel like one of the bystanders when that dude went postal.

That story, while great, does not at all compare to my post above. Sorry if it did to some....:rolleyes:

Anyway, it's annoying when someone comes in and says they have problems but don't give any more info. Especially when some of us have waited 2 months or so, or have returned a defective Mac Pro to get this one. I'm still standing by it being a possible hoax, it would be a good one, because it has a few of us on our toes already that are going to receive their Mac's in a few days.

FastMan
Feb 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
And just remember, gang,,, the card my not be the total answer. 5.2 is on the way. It's close,,,, VERY CLOSE.

hairnesto
Feb 8, 2008, 11:11 PM
it's a little dark in the pic so i can't be sure - but i have an 8800gt on a pc and think the connection you speak of - edge connector at top of the board near the DVI plug side of the card - is the SLI connector for daisy-chaining multiple NVidia cards together.

thank you but if i my say so its a bit disapointing
to hear it from somebody who did this on a pc
but im very greatfull
lets see if there s somebody afterwards starting a thread on this
because there are more waitng for the 8800 to replace after already
having their mp+2600

TenFour
Feb 9, 2008, 12:24 AM
If after 5 weeks of waiting, I take delivery of a defective machine, especially considering the price tag... I'm buying a Dell. No phone calls to Apple, no compromise. I have work to do. I didn't purchase a new machine to ease into the next generation of technology for bragging rights... my present machine is pre-Intel and I need to run Bootcamp to run Vista to run Rhino, period. I'll wait patiently for my machine... there's no hurry, take your time Apple and do it right, software and hardware; I'll gladly wait to obtain a machine of typical Mac greatness, but it better darn well work like $4000 ought to when it shows up at my door. An apology and a small refund is all well and good when you're waiting for a gaming machine, but when your professional life is on hold, shipping dates and performance expectations had better be met.

Mr.PS
Feb 9, 2008, 12:53 AM
If after 5 weeks of waiting, I take delivery of a defective machine, especially considering the price tag... I'm buying a Dell. No phone calls to Apple, no compromise. I have work to do. I didn't purchase a new machine to ease into the next generation of technology for bragging rights... my present machine is pre-Intel and I need to run Bootcamp to run Vista to run Rhino, period. I'll wait patiently for my machine... there's no hurry, take your time Apple and do it right, software and hardware; I'll gladly wait to obtain a machine of typical Mac greatness, but it better darn well work like $4000 ought to when it shows up at my door. An apology and a small refund is all well and good when you're waiting for a gaming machine, but when your professional life is on hold, shipping dates and performance expectations had better be met.

+1, I've already returned one this week, my first Mac Pro with the Ati was all messed up! :( and I'm not a gamer... :mad:

ErikAndre
Feb 9, 2008, 02:12 AM
Wow... are we serious here... at least one poster has stated they had a problem, but has provided absolutely no details or that they even have a MP with an 8800GT and yet another has posted (who has an 8800GT) and stated there's no freezing and all is well.

I'll be getting mine on Monday and will be putting it through a series of tests and will let you all know.

Wild-Bill
Feb 9, 2008, 04:58 AM
Well mine arrived (stock except for the 8800GT).

Did the Software Update, and there was the QT update, and the iPhoto and iWeb updates. Rebooted. No problem.

Ran some movie trailers on Apple's site. Installed Firefox + extensions, VLC media player. Put the Mac Pro to sleep TWICE. Both times it woke up from sleep. Fans kicked in for about 3 seconds then went back to their normal quietness. No problems yet.

I've got a buddy in town so I couldn't really mess with it when it first got here (4:45 PST). Time for bed now. I'll try to get some more testing done tomorrow, including an XBench run.

student_trap
Feb 9, 2008, 05:53 AM
Well mine arrived (stock except for the 8800GT).

Did the Software Update, and there was the QT update, and the iPhoto and iWeb updates. Rebooted. No problem.

Ran some movie trailers on Apple's site. Installed Firefox + extensions, VLC media player. Put the Mac Pro to sleep TWICE. Both times it woke up from sleep. Fans kicked in for about 3 seconds then went back to their normal quietness. No problems yet.

I've got a buddy in town so I couldn't really mess with it when it first got here (4:45 PST). Time for bed now. I'll try to get some more testing done tomorrow, including an XBench run.

thanks for the input, definitely serves somewhat to ease the tension of the thread!

mac2maverick
Feb 9, 2008, 07:01 AM
For the people who have the 2008 Mac Pro's with 8800 GT's... if you have an old 2006/2007 Mac Pro lying around you could try putting the 8800GT into it and see if it boots?

Thanks,

Mark

Barefeats comments on this lower on the page. They refer to people with 2006/7 Mac Pros who want to upgrade to the 8800. Not possible, but you can upgrade to the 2600XT.

http://www.barefeats.com/york2.html

SolrFlare
Feb 9, 2008, 08:02 AM
An update for those chomping at the bit here. Here are extended results from an afternoon/evening with my new Mac Pro. Acitivites included:

Doing an encode with imovie, importing all my music/movies, web checking, emailing, installing various apps like Office '08 and running them.

I also ran things on the bootbamp end for several hours too. This included Crysis playing, Sins of a Solar Empire playing, etc etc. And this was on Vista 64bit.

No problems.

I put the machine to sleep last night before heading for bed. Woke up this morning, hit the space bar, and it woke up just fine. No issues, no video corruption anywhere, nothing.

ErikAndre
Feb 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
Glad to hear... i look forward to you find out. Thanks for sharing.

I'll try to get some more testing done tomorrow, including an XBench run.

barefeats
Feb 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'll try to get some more testing done tomorrow, including an XBench run.

Xbench graphics tests are really not helpful since the Quartz test is CPU intensive and the OpenGL test is simplistic. Ditto for the OpenGL test in Cinebench 10 (which uses the CPU as much GPU for its 1024x768 animation).

If you have full, retail versions of 3D Games (Quake 4, Prey, Doom 3, Halo, UT2004, WoW, etc.), I can give you some suggestions on benchmarking those.

As for Pro Apps, I have some benchmarks you can run with a DEMO copy of iMaginator (Core Image effects by Stone.com) and Motion (RAM preview render/playback).

Mark Fletcher
Feb 9, 2008, 09:16 AM
Barefeats comments on this lower on the page. They refer to people with 2006/7 Mac Pros who want to upgrade to the 8800. Not possible, but you can upgrade to the 2600XT.

http://www.barefeats.com/york2.html

Yeah, Ive seen Barefeats article. Truth be told tho - we've only just started getting our hands on the 8800GT and when Barefeats wrote that article, he didnt have an 8800GT to verify Apples claims.

Since then, we know that Apple/NVidia have been working on a solution. To me it seems silly to have two SKU's of the same board, but with different firmware. I wouldnt be surprised if the current boards actually work in the older Mac Pro's. Thats why I was asking if anyone who has just received their Mac Pro 2008 with 8800GT to try out the card in an older Mac Pro (if they have one lying around!).

barefeats
Feb 9, 2008, 09:37 AM
I posted elsewhere about getting a GeForce 8800 GTX to run on our 2008 Mac Pro (while we are waiting for our GeForce 8800 GT upgrade kit to replace the Radeon HD 2600 XT).

The GTX only works under Vista 64 (or Windows XP 64) in the Boot Camp partition but man does it scream. We get 155 fps running Prey timedemo at 1920x1200 "High Quality" with shadows and 8x anisotropy. Compare that to 64 fps with a Radeon X1900 XT on the same Mac Pro 3.2GHz. I bet the GeForce 8800 GT will do 100+ fps if the driver is optimized.

What I'd really like to see is for ATI to release a Mac Pro version of the Radeon HD 3870 X2 (two GPUs on one card). Moo ha ha. It's 78% faster than a GeForce 8800 GT running Unreal Tournament 3 Flyby, according to Anandtech (High Quality 1920x1200):
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3209&p=9

REINMIRT
Feb 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hey,

Yesterday I finally received my MP and so far had one problem. I started testing it with games. While bf2142 got so much better (wow), COD2 slowed down tremendously compared to my previous configuration (Early 2006 Imac Intel core Duo, 2gb ram w stock ati hd 2600 pro)!

Both games are maxed out. On my previous computer, I could barely play bf2142 w a lot of lag. It is a breeze now w everything at the highest! I don't think the new beast even notices the games load.

COD2 is a much older game and was even much much faster/smoother on my Imac w almost everything at the highest. In fact it was as smooth as you'd want it to be. I took all the video settings way down along w the resolution, it almost got worse than the maxed out one!!! Certainly got less smooth than the highest settings. i have tried every possible video setting in the menu but just simply the same every time.

What the **** is this? Could my oldie & goodie game be challenging the new video card (know sounds ridiculous but who knows??)

OR could that be a driver issue? Then why would only COD2 deteriorate (also tried x-plane was very good as well)???

Finally can someone recommend a software to test frame rates and ext. of the video card for the games?

Thanks,
M

aaronw1986
Feb 9, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hey,

Yesterday I finally received my MP and so far had one problem. I started testing it with games. While bf2142 got so much better (wow), COD2 slowed down tremendously compared to my previous configuration (Early 2006 Imac Intel core Duo, 2gb ram w stock ati hd 2600 pro)!

Both games are maxed out. On my previous computer, I could barely play bf2142 w a lot of lag. It is a breeze now w everything at the highest! I don't think the new beast even notices the games load.

COD2 is a much older game and was even much much faster/smoother on my Imac w almost everything at the highest. In fact it was as smooth as you'd want it to be. I took all the video settings way down along w the resolution, it almost got worse than the maxed out one!!! Certainly got less smooth than the highest settings. i have tried every possible video setting in the menu but just simply the same every time.

What the **** is this? Could my oldie & goodie game be challenging the new video card (know sounds ridiculous but who knows??)

OR could that be a driver issue? Then why would only COD2 deteriorate (also tried x-plane was very good as well)???

Finally can someone recommend a software to test frame rates and ext. of the video card for the games?

Thanks,
M

Are you running in XP or Vista? Did you patch COD2? It should not be causing problems, as people have ran COD4 fine. FRAPS is a program for framerate.

mac2maverick
Feb 9, 2008, 04:56 PM
Since then, we know that Apple/NVidia have been working on a solution. To me it seems silly to have two SKU's of the same board, but with different firmware. I wouldnt be surprised if the current boards actually work in the older Mac Pro's. Thats why I was asking if anyone who has just received their Mac Pro 2008 with 8800GT to try out the card in an older Mac Pro (if they have one lying around!).[/QUOTE]

You're way ahead of me on this issue. Hey, maybe you (or another reader) can fill me in on something: If I'm correct on this, graphics cards get firmware or maybe software updates that often significantly speed them up. Has this card come out with any fixes or updates? How often do these happen? Are the HD 2600 Pro and HD 2600 XT running slower than the older Geforce options because they haven't been maximized by the manufacturers yet?

diamond.g
Feb 9, 2008, 06:20 PM
You're way ahead of me on this issue. Hey, maybe you (or another reader) can fill me in on something: If I'm correct on this, graphics cards get firmware or maybe software updates that often significantly speed them up. Has this card come out with any fixes or updates? How often do these happen? Are the HD 2600 Pro and HD 2600 XT running slower than the older Geforce options because they haven't been maximized by the manufacturers yet?

Firmware for GPU's doesn't improve or detract from performance. What you are looking for is updated drivers. Drivers dictate how the software communicates with the hardware. ATI and Nvidia update their drivers every month Apple doesn't update their drivers that often. This is due to the increases in performance are only seen in games.

REINMIRT
Feb 9, 2008, 11:14 PM
Are you running in XP or Vista? Did you patch COD2? It should not be causing problems, as people have ran COD4 fine. FRAPS is a program for framerate.

I am running COD2 on Mac NOT Win. I have not updated to 1.3 patch because the server I play on is 1.0. It should be working without the game patch anyway (imac did without failing even once in 1,5 years).

Nvidia website tries to dump you to another manufacturer's website when you search for updated 8800gt drivers. I do not even know what manufacturer apple works with. Any ideas?

M

REINMIRT
Feb 9, 2008, 11:17 PM
FRAPS is a program for framerate.

FRAPS seems to be a win program. Any frame rate/benchmark programs for MAC??

M

darthraige
Feb 9, 2008, 11:27 PM

"These machines are screamers." - Steve Jobs

Ya, screamers alright. Cause they're in pain! Hopefully these issues get resolved in 10.5.2. Good luck, to us all. :p

noi375
Feb 10, 2008, 12:51 AM
I am running COD2 on Mac NOT Win. I have not updated to 1.3 patch because the server I play on is 1.0. It should be working without the game patch anyway (imac did without failing even once in 1,5 years).

Nvidia website tries to dump you to another manufacturer's website when you search for updated 8800gt drivers. I do not even know what manufacturer apple works with. Any ideas?

M

If you are looking for drivers for Mac - you are stuck with Apple - they release the drivers, not nVidia. I haven't seen nVidia release Mac drivers in ages - they always come with the OS. You won't be able to find the drivers on the Mac side on their sites. For Windows, it's just their 8 or 9 series drivers - their drivers have always been pretty much the same across the different models on the same line (meaning the same files will setup different models of video card).

Mr.PS
Feb 13, 2008, 02:21 AM
Any updates to this thread? My Mac Pro is being delivered tomorrow, let's hope it's flawless!

irishgrizzly
Feb 13, 2008, 03:56 AM
I've had no problems with mine so far. The fans runs while the machine is idle at around 500-700rpm I'm not sure if this is normal :confused: I though they only kicked in when the machine is put under strain.

Wild-Bill
Feb 13, 2008, 04:46 AM
No issues for me to report at this time.

I have the stock config + 8800GT. Waking from sleep works. The fans kick in to max speed for about 3 seconds, but I just consider that normal. Doesn't bother me.

Right now I have the following drives in the Mac Pro:

74 gig Raptor (Bay 4 for noise mitigation) - Leopard (cloned original OS install from 320 drive using Disk Utility)
400 gig WD - couple partitions with program files, movies, MP3's (taken from old PC)
500 gig Seagate - came from old PC;
750 gig WD - ordered last week. Has XP Pro on it for now.

I used Acronis Partition Expert to make space at the beginnin of the 400 gig drive. It originally had a 3 gig partition for a Windows page file. I have expanded it to 8.5 gigs for now. Going to image the XP Pro installation from the 750 gig and put it on the 400 gig. So, at the end of the day, I'll have one drive for Windows (400), the Raptor for Leopard, and the 500 and 750 gig drives for Leopard apps and Logic.

One of these days I'll get around to installing the stock 320 into the lower optical bay and use it for backups. Haven't decided if I'm going to use CCC, SuperDuper, or Time Machine for that.

Anyhow, with all those drives in there currently, wake from sleep still works fine.

** I have yet to update to 10.5.2 yet though. Wanted to wait for some feedback to make sure it wasn't hosing up the new Mac Pros.

Taustin Powers
Feb 13, 2008, 05:05 AM
I've had mine for two days - stock + 8800 + Airport Card.

No issues so far. It wakes up from sleep with no problems. The fans do speed up for about 2 seconds when waking up. The WiFi connection so far has been reliable and fast.

ErikAndre
Feb 13, 2008, 05:45 AM
And here we go...

My 8800GT, 2.8, 10.5.2... just rebooted after it's first night sleep. It can handle a sleep for half an hour or so, but not for an evening. Hopefully this is a one time deal. :(

GroundLoop
Feb 13, 2008, 06:50 AM
And here we go...

My 8800GT, 2.8, 10.5.2... just rebooted after it's first night sleep. It can handle a sleep for half an hour or so, but not for an evening. Hopefully this is a one time deal. :(

Mine seems to do the same thing. Short sleeps are fine, but anything longer than 45 mins means reboot for me.

I have tested with and without the extra RAM and HDDs. When I get home from work today I will try moving the OS/Application Drive to a different bay.

I am guessing that it won't make a difference as a lot of us are having this issue.

Hickman

ErikAndre
Feb 13, 2008, 06:58 AM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one... but please... keep me posted.

Also, can't play RCT3 (Mac)... not surprising though. :rolleyes:

Mine seems to do the same thing. Short sleeps are fine, but anything longer than 45 mins means reboot for me.

I have tested with and without the extra RAM and HDDs. When I get home from work today I will try moving the OS/Application Drive to a different bay.

I am guessing that it won't make a difference as a lot of us are having this issue.

Hickman

DWS
Feb 13, 2008, 07:10 AM
Also, can't play RCT3 (Mac)... not surprising though. :rolleyes:

Why not surprising?

toke lahti
Feb 13, 2008, 07:20 AM
Could somebody test what color depths 8800GT supports in FCS2's Color?

ErikAndre
Feb 13, 2008, 09:05 AM
Why not surprising?

One word: Aspyr

Most likely don't support my 8800GT... I started a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=433240) about it too, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Gloor
Feb 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
Guys, I have headphone with microphone and I have green and pink jack. Where do I plug it in in the mac pro? I can't seem to get it work :(

ErikAndre
Feb 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
Guys, I have headphone with microphone and I have green and pink jack. Where do I plug it in in the mac pro? I can't seem to get it work :(

Plug it in the back (where a mic and headphone jack are). You have to remember... the Mac Pro is not like a laptop where you can plug in a unit and it will turn off the internal speaker and turn on the headphones... you have to manually go into the SOUND option in your System Prefs and select the Rear Jack for both the Audio and Input/Mic.

Gloor
Feb 13, 2008, 03:46 PM
Plug it in the back (where a mic and headphone jack are). You have to remember... the Mac Pro is not like a laptop where you can plug in a unit and it will turn off the internal speaker and turn on the headphones... you have to manually go into the SOUND option in your System Prefs and select the Rear Jack for both the Audio and Input/Mic.

I plugged it in the back and I changed the settings. Headphones sound works great but headphones mic seems to be not working. I have the pink (mic) plug jack plugged next to it (green jack for sound) but still nothing. What did I miss?

ErikAndre
Feb 13, 2008, 04:36 PM
I plugged it in the back and I changed the settings. Headphones sound works great but headphones mic seems to be not working. I have the pink (mic) plug jack plugged next to it (green jack for sound) but still nothing. What did I miss?

Yes, but did you change the settings for the Input/Mic jack as well?

Gloor
Feb 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, but did you change the settings for the Input/Mic jack as well?

I have two options there :line in and digital in. I have it set on line in

ErikAndre
Feb 13, 2008, 05:57 PM
I have two options there :line in and digital in. I have it set on line in

Hmmm... then it could be something with the Microphone itself then... i'm not too familiar with line in issues as I don't use it much, but when I had my other Mac, I had to get a special kind of microphone... not sure if that is the case now.

Mr.PS
Feb 13, 2008, 06:26 PM
I just got mine today, no issues so far, but I'm still skeptical. I'm going to give it a week before I say it works or it doesn't. :) My 2600XT MP started screwing up 3 days after I got it so...

Wild-Bill
Feb 13, 2008, 06:57 PM
Well, just had my first one. Last night it slept comfortably for 9 hours and woke up just fine.

Ran out for some errands earlier, was gone about 4 hours: woke from sleep just fine.

Ran out again, was gone for about 30 minutes: BAM, restart from sleep.

I MAY have found the problem with mine, but will need to test my theory some more. When I put it to sleep this last time, I had left several programs open: Firefox, Mail, and iTunes. Every other time I slept the Mac Pro there were no open programs.

If those of you with an 8800GT can try sleeping your Mac with and without open programs and report back, we may have found the culprit.

BTW, My OWC RAM just got here 20 minutes ago, so I am still stock. Also, I am only going through a surge protector: no APC battery backup.

bigbird
Feb 13, 2008, 11:41 PM
Short sleeps are fine, but anything longer than 45 mins means reboot for me.

My new MP did exactly the same thing.

Mr.PS
Feb 13, 2008, 11:46 PM
I will try with open programs tonight. I've let it sleep for 15 minutes or so, nothing out of the ordinary.

Is the sleep issues software or hardware? Take a guess, software?

jceeetle
Feb 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
I had one reboot after wake from sleep yesterday. That was after all the 10.5.2 and graphics updates were installed. I was logged out at the time and only had it in sleep mode for a few minutes.

Since then I've been installing SW so I've disabled sleep and just shutdown at night. Since rebooting is so fast, its not that big a problem. I'll eventually try the PRAM/SMC reset when I get the time. Got my Mac Pro Tues 2/12 with the 8800GT option.

Mr.PS
Feb 14, 2008, 12:19 AM
Whats this PRAM/SMC fix I keep hearing about? How is it done?

tugger
Feb 14, 2008, 01:22 AM
Whats this PRAM/SMC fix I keep hearing about? How is it done?

PRAM reset:

Restart the Mac. Simultaneously hold down the Command (Apple)-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the *bong* on restart. Keep these keys depressed until you hear a second startup *bong*, then release the keys. This resets parameter RAM. Many people have reported that this fixes the restart on wake-from-sleep problem.

SMC reset:

Shutdown the Mac Pro. Unplug everything including the power cable for a few minutes. Then reconnect the power cable and your peripherals and boot the box.

Mr.PS
Feb 14, 2008, 01:09 PM
Mine was asleep all night (about 10 hours) I had 4 spaces with 3-4 apps in each open and it woke up from sleep just fine... Sleeping it for shorter periods also yields the same result...

GroundLoop
Feb 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
Mine was asleep all night (about 10 hours) I had 4 spaces with 3-4 apps in each open and it woke up from sleep just fine... Sleeping it for shorter periods also yields the same result...

I did the PRAM/SMC thing, and I have had two lengthy sleeps (>5 hours) successfully wake up. Hopefully this is the start of a very long trend.

Hickman

Weepul
Feb 14, 2008, 05:08 PM
Macs only take line level signal in, which is a stronger signal than microphone level signal. PCs often have microphone in - Macs have line level in for audio work. You'll need a microphone preamp of some sort, or maybe something like Griffin's iMic.