PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 to Intel MB Upgrade

mowogg
Feb 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have a clue as to whether or not it might be possible to replace the G5 motherboard in my Mac Tower with a third-party MB that would support the Intel chips?
I'd like to move to an Intel machine, but can't afford (and, honestly, the G5 works perfectly) to buy a new machine. I could swing $600 - $800 to switch the board and get a new chip, while keeping my case, PS, drives, etc.
I know, this likely very tough, and wouldn't work 100%, but it never hurts to ask.

TIA

newtech
Feb 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
Not possible, and certainly not at that price level. Doing a Hackintosh in a G5 case is possible, but OS X is not licensed for use on such hardware.

Mattww
Feb 12, 2008, 04:08 PM
Does anyone have a clue as to whether or not it might be possible to replace the G5 motherboard in my Mac Tower with a third-party MB that would support the Intel chips?
I'd like to move to an Intel machine, but can't afford (and, honestly, the G5 works perfectly) to buy a new machine. I could swing $600 - $800 to switch the board and get a new chip, while keeping my case, PS, drives, etc.
I know, this likely very tough, and wouldn't work 100%, but it never hurts to ask.

TIA

Your best option is to sell your G5 and put the funds toward an Intel Mac. There are still folks who need classic mode or a PPC Mac for particular applications so you should get a reasonable amount for it.

kdb31
Feb 12, 2008, 04:46 PM
yeah unfortunately the xeon processors alone on the new models cost that much each (at least retail). But even if you had a new processor/motherboard you'd need a new graphics card and ram and depending on if your harddrives ara sata or not, some way to interface with IDE. It'd be a whole new system basically :(

Mac_Max
Feb 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
Google is your friend. Also for a "roll your own" PC (of any OS for that matter) stick with Socket 775 hardware, it's cheaper, ubiquitous, and there's a lot more variation out there than can be found with server hardware, which is akin to what the Mac Pro uses.

eclipse525
Oct 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Google is your friend. Also for a "roll your own" PC (of any OS for that matter) stick with Socket 775 hardware, it's cheaper, ubiquitous, and there's a lot more variation out there than can be found with server hardware, which is akin to what the Mac Pro uses.

That pretty much answered nothing.

Cindori
Oct 19, 2009, 10:58 AM
you can't even upgrade mobos in the intel macs.

gugucom
Oct 19, 2009, 12:04 PM
Believe me any solution by trading will save you tons of money and time. If you get 500$ for your PM G5 and you are prepared to spend another 800$ you should be able to pick up a used Mac Pro for this without much hassle. You can upgrade the machine as I did as money is available. I turned a basic 2,66 Quad into a 3,0 Octad with 12 GB RAM and SSDs. That thing was really flying. I was beating 2009 Quads in handbrake and multi core rendering. Eventually I sold it for a 2009 machine which I upgraded as well. So trading and upgrading is the smoothest way to a higher performing Mac.

300D
Oct 19, 2009, 11:10 PM
Spend $600 on a mini and put it in your case. Thats the only possible way you'll get an Intel computer that can run OSX in your G5.

thecowgoddess
May 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
Spend $600 on a mini and put it in your case. Thats the only possible way you'll get an Intel computer that can run OSX in your G5.

How would you go about putting a Mini in your G5 Case? Just curious. Wanted to upgrade to After Effect CS4, but didn't realize that you need an Intel for that upgrade, too...

Also, any workaround for After Effects CS4 using a 1.8 G5?

iThinkergoiMac
May 26, 2010, 04:42 PM
The Mini in an iMac thing was a joke. I don't think it would actually fit.

And, no, there aren't any workarounds for getting AE CS4 to work on a PPC Mac. You'll need to bite the bullet (where did that phrase come from anyway?) and get an Intel Mac.

Bennieboyİ
May 26, 2010, 07:20 PM
6-800 dollars would buy you a tonne of hackintosh power, and it will fit in a G5 case quite nicely, it wouldnt be a simple job and there are guides about online for doing it.

hackintosh in a G5 case (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=791209&highlight=)
insanelymac (http://www.insanelymac.com)
cindori's guide (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841956&highlight=)

DoFoT9
May 26, 2010, 07:23 PM
6-800 dollars would buy you a tonne of hackintosh power, and it will fit in a G5 case quite nicely, it wouldnt be a simple job and there are guides about online for doing it.

hackintosh in a G5 case (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=791209&highlight=)
insanelymac (http://www.insanelymac.com)

it would indeed! a nice i5 system for sure

jbyun04
May 29, 2010, 07:11 PM
Believe me any solution by trading will save you tons of money and time. If you get 500$ for your PM G5 and you are prepared to spend another 800$ you should be able to pick up a used Mac Pro for this without much hassle. You can upgrade the machine as I did as money is available. I turned a basic 2,66 Quad into a 3,0 Octad with 12 GB RAM and SSDs. That thing was really flying. I was beating 2009 Quads in handbrake and multi core rendering. Eventually I sold it for a 2009 machine which I upgraded as well. So trading and upgrading is the smoothest way to a higher performing Mac.

sorry if this sounds dumb but how did you upgrade a 2.66Q into a 3.0 Octa? Can you upgrade the CPU chips on the Mac Pro or something?

DoFoT9
May 29, 2010, 08:44 PM
sorry if this sounds dumb but how did you upgrade a 2.66Q into a 3.0 Octa? Can you upgrade the CPU chips on the Mac Pro or something?

yes lol you can upgrade the CPUs, its just as easy as doing it on a PC provided that you get the same socket.