Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Does anyone have a clue as to whether or not it might be possible to replace the G5 motherboard in my Mac Tower with a third-party MB that would support the Intel chips?
I'd like to move to an Intel machine, but can't afford (and, honestly, the G5 works perfectly) to buy a new machine. I could swing $600 - $800 to switch the board and get a new chip, while keeping my case, PS, drives, etc.
I know, this likely very tough, and wouldn't work 100%, but it never hurts to ask.

TIA

newtech

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Not possible, and certainly not at that price level. Doing a Hackintosh in a G5 case is possible, but OS X is not licensed for use on such hardware.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Does anyone have a clue as to whether or not it might be possible to replace the G5 motherboard in my Mac Tower with a third-party MB that would support the Intel chips?
I'd like to move to an Intel machine, but can't afford (and, honestly, the G5 works perfectly) to buy a new machine. I could swing $600 - $800 to switch the board and get a new chip, while keeping my case, PS, drives, etc.
I know, this likely very tough, and wouldn't work 100%, but it never hurts to ask.

TIA

Your best option is to sell your G5 and put the funds toward an Intel Mac. There are still folks who need classic mode or a PPC Mac for particular applications so you should get a reasonable amount for it.

kdb31

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
SF Bay Area
yeah unfortunately the xeon processors alone on the new models cost that much each (at least retail). But even if you had a new processor/motherboard you'd need a new graphics card and ram and depending on if your harddrives ara sata or not, some way to interface with IDE. It'd be a whole new system basically :(

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Google is your friend. Also for a "roll your own" PC (of any OS for that matter) stick with Socket 775 hardware, it's cheaper, ubiquitous, and there's a lot more variation out there than can be found with server hardware, which is akin to what the Mac Pro uses.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Google is your friend. Also for a "roll your own" PC (of any OS for that matter) stick with Socket 775 hardware, it's cheaper, ubiquitous, and there's a lot more variation out there than can be found with server hardware, which is akin to what the Mac Pro uses.

That pretty much answered nothing.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Believe me any solution by trading will save you tons of money and time. If you get 500$ for your PM G5 and you are prepared to spend another 800$ you should be able to pick up a used Mac Pro for this without much hassle. You can upgrade the machine as I did as money is available. I turned a basic 2,66 Quad into a 3,0 Octad with 12 GB RAM and SSDs. That thing was really flying. I was beating 2009 Quads in handbrake and multi core rendering. Eventually I sold it for a 2009 machine which I upgraded as well. So trading and upgrading is the smoothest way to a higher performing Mac.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
Spend $600 on a mini and put it in your case. Thats the only possible way you'll get an Intel computer that can run OSX in your G5.

thecowgoddess

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Texas
Mac Mini In G5

Spend $600 on a mini and put it in your case. Thats the only possible way you'll get an Intel computer that can run OSX in your G5.

How would you go about putting a Mini in your G5 Case? Just curious. Wanted to upgrade to After Effect CS4, but didn't realize that you need an Intel for that upgrade, too...

Also, any workaround for After Effects CS4 using a 1.8 G5?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The Mini in an iMac thing was a joke. I don't think it would actually fit.

And, no, there aren't any workarounds for getting AE CS4 to work on a PPC Mac. You'll need to bite the bullet (where did that phrase come from anyway?) and get an Intel Mac.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Believe me any solution by trading will save you tons of money and time. If you get 500$ for your PM G5 and you are prepared to spend another 800$ you should be able to pick up a used Mac Pro for this without much hassle. You can upgrade the machine as I did as money is available. I turned a basic 2,66 Quad into a 3,0 Octad with 12 GB RAM and SSDs. That thing was really flying. I was beating 2009 Quads in handbrake and multi core rendering. Eventually I sold it for a 2009 machine which I upgraded as well. So trading and upgrading is the smoothest way to a higher performing Mac.

sorry if this sounds dumb but how did you upgrade a 2.66Q into a 3.0 Octa? Can you upgrade the CPU chips on the Mac Pro or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.