Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherrybomb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hello fellow mac users, I'm pretty new to the forum, but seem to be getting around quite easily, I just have a few questions about upgrading my OS to 10.5 on my G4 Powerbook.

Here is the 'About This Mac' screen grab I took.

aboutthismacscreengrabwy9.jpg

I have read other posts on the forum from other people saying it's worked fine on their G4, but my main worry is the applications I have running on my powerbook. Would I just have my G4 working overtime if trying to run CS3 and using the latest OS? Is there anyone else out there with similar specs to my G4 that is using 10.5 and Adobe CS3 programs? If so, have you noticed any major lags? Also, I'm aware that CS2 is not compatible with Leopard, but does this include After Effects 7.0? I really need that program for my freelance work, and can't really afford to purchase an upgrade at the moment. I have also had a look on youtube and have seen Leopard running on G4 powerbooks which is great, as I would love to upgrade to use some of the new features like 'spaces'.

If anyone can help a confused G4 user, that would be super!

Thank you in advance to all those who contribute
:)

P.S. I am absolutely loving this forum, it's just great!

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Yes, it most certainly will. I am running Leopard on my wife's iBook G4, 1.33, 512MB RAM. Although I should max out the RAM at 1.5GB, I haven't done so yet and the machine is still running great. Granted she doesn't do anything but surfing the next and some occasional music/video playing.

You should be fine if you do not expect your PB to be a video editing MP wannabe.... :)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'm running Leopard on the same mac as you. If anything it's quicker than ever.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 55

cherrybomb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
That's great news! Thank you for such quick replies. I have actually bought a copy of leopard from someone on the forum, so I'll let you know how I get on once it arrives.

Just one more question, for those of you who have installed leopard on G4's, did you opt for an erase and clean install, or the archive install? I know there's been a mixed bag of answers for this one. Do most people just try each type of install until they have had some luck?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
That's great news! Thank you for such quick replies. I have actually bought a copy of leopard from someone on the forum, so I'll let you know how I get on once it arrives.

Just one more question, for those of you who have installed leopard on G4's, did you opt for an erase and clean install, or the archive install? I know there's been a mixed bag of answers for this one. Do most people just try each type of install until they have had some luck?

Yes it should run fine. The one thing I would do is try to max out the ram. As I have the same model and CS3 seems to me run slow even though I have 1.25GB of ram. As for the other question I would do a clean install just make sure you have all you disks for your programs if not do a archive.

Good luck

cherrybomb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
once again, thanks for the advice. I'm a bit dubious as to whether I should go ahead with the install simply because this is the only mac I have at present, although I am looking to upgrade to a MBP if an update arrives.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
once again, thanks for the advice. I'm a bit dubious as to whether I should go ahead with the install simply because this is the only mac I have at present, although I am looking to upgrade to a MBP if an update arrives.

If you have an external drive, you can make an external bootable clone of your Tiger installation to the external, so you'd be able to return to Tiger if things went sour. Alternatively, you could make Leopard the bootable external, and see if it's something you really want before going all the way.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

You will be very happy running Leopard on your Powerbook. Leopard is not in testing stages so it's perfectly fine to install it on older hardware and use it as your primary OS. Also developers are starting to make Leopard only apps and it's best for you to move on to Leopard if your hardware can handle it.

Could you please address this question for me, I'm confused at the screenshot in your OP, I was under the impression you took that screenshot of YOUR Powerbook G4. Is that not your screenshot?

cherrybomb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Could you please address this question for me, I'm confused at the screenshot in your OP, I was under the impression you took that screenshot of YOUR Powerbook G4. Is that not your screenshot?

HLdan: You are correct, that is a screenshot of my 'About This Mac' box. It is from my powerbook.

So many people believe the CS3 programs should run okay?

How about After Effects, will version 7.0 still work, or am I doomed, and have to upgrade to the CS3 version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.