PDA

View Full Version : my macbook is currently full of ants! immediate help

Samarium
Feb 26, 2008, 05:08 PM
my macbook is full of ants what do i do without damaging any of the components.

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2008, 05:09 PM

Are you joking? How did this happen?

I would try and put it in the freezer to kill them, to start with.

JSchwage
Feb 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
How in the world did you pull that off? I have no idea how to get rid of them without opening up your MacBook.

Samarium
Feb 26, 2008, 05:11 PM
i left it on my table and i just came back, i am using a hairdryer to wipe them off they come out from keyboard and from the vents! help me out

davidwarren
Feb 26, 2008, 05:12 PM
place a pile of sugar on the end of a table, put the MB on the other end. That will draw them all out.

Drumjim85
Feb 26, 2008, 05:14 PM
I would keep your computer off, and just leave it alone for awhile ... there can't be anything in there that they want... so once they get board and move on you should be fine ...

(at least, thats what my logic is telling me right now):confused:

Drumjim85
place a pile of sugar on the end of a table, put the MB on the other end. That will draw them all out.

damp sugar would be even better...

BornAgainMac
May I suggest you place your Macbook (turned off) on a table and place some honey nearby. The ants will lose interest in the Macbook and gather around the honey.

Samarium
Feb 26, 2008, 05:15 PM
Ok, everything is stable now. They stopped getting out from the keys and the vents. I am scared, how should I put my computer on the freezer?

crazyskillz07

This is a good idea.:apple:

dpaanlka
The only reason ants would ever go in there is if you spilled something on, in, or around it at some time and aren't telling us.

I remember someone posting something like this years ago.

EDIT: Ah, here we are:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=138394

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=211423

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=153080

JSchwage
Feb 26, 2008, 05:16 PM
My question is... what delicious thing inside your MacBook might the ants be interested in? :D

heatmiser
Feb 26, 2008, 05:17 PM
You don't want to put it in the freezer; besides the possibility of damaging something, you'd be hard pressed to get dead ants out of the device without opening it. I'd stick with one of the sugar/honey ideas.

Samarium
Feb 26, 2008, 05:17 PM
I will shut it down for a while. Seriously do ants can be THAT harmful inside?

Silver-Fox
Feb 26, 2008, 05:18 PM
i doubt that they will do much, let they stay :p

nfg315
Feb 26, 2008, 05:18 PM
haha, this is pretty funny

just dont let the ants go back in the macbook with the honey or sugar...that would be messy

i dont know about fridge/freezer...youll have to watch for condensation. obviously turn it off and take out the battery...after you take it back out, wait a day or so to let it dry before putting the battery back in

edit: just thought of this - get one of those canned air deals and blow them out of there

diddy
Feb 26, 2008, 05:19 PM

Don't put it in the freezer! :eek: LCD panels can freeze and crack.

Do ants deal well with heat? Maybe set a Handbrake encode going, get it hot in there...

Luis
Feb 26, 2008, 05:20 PM
Run "yes" (i think it was this) in terminal and let the bastards burn.

dpaanlka
Feb 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
Don't put it in the freezer! :eek: LCD panels can freeze and crack...

At what temperature does this happen? Surely I've left my PowerBook in these freezing cold Chicago temperatures before and nothing happened.

iToaster
Feb 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
Exactly, go buy FCP or something intensive (or just rip a DVD, I kid) and try to run it on your MB, that should make it uncomfortably warm. I dunno why they'd be in it though, maybe it's because it looks like a big shiny white tic-tac.

Samarium
Feb 26, 2008, 05:25 PM
I killed about 3-4 in the past 5 min. They get out from the keys, vents and cd slot. Typing this i killed 3 more.

ntrigue
Feb 26, 2008, 05:27 PM
My girlfriend's MacBook made me LOL every time I used it. For weeks ants would appear from the crevices. Of course she lives at Starbucks and I am sure there were plenty of crumbs to sustain life. I would leave it adjacent one of those traps (just occurred that if you placed it too close they would crawl back in and then die).

MacBook -------2 ft---------- Ant Poison -----------3 ft---------- Pile o' Moist Sugar

Drumjim85
Feb 26, 2008, 05:27 PM
Typing this i killed 3 more.

haha ... classic!!!

caj
Feb 26, 2008, 05:28 PM
Are you joking? How did this happen?

wouldn't that harm the lithium in the battery? or did they stop using lithium?

stevegmu
Feb 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
Can't you vacuum them out?

Silver-Fox
Feb 26, 2008, 05:30 PM
Can't you vacuum them out?

lol did not think of that

diddy
Feb 26, 2008, 05:32 PM
At what temperature does this happen? Surely I've left my PowerBook in these freezing cold Chicago temperatures before and nothing happened.

I think it's somewhere around -30 or -40F. I know thats WAY cold, but with how fancy freezers are these days, I'd err on the side of caution.

Ha! They're coming out of the optical slot now? That's too funny. :D;)

Thetics
Feb 26, 2008, 05:34 PM
Murderer! it didnt happen unless we get pics.

LaceEm
Feb 26, 2008, 05:35 PM
probably one of the more funnier posts ive read on this site. the sugar is a brilliant idea. But why dont you keep them as your macbook pets? If they were termites they might match your white macbook.

vansouza
Feb 26, 2008, 05:36 PM

Put your puter in a bag.. put in the same bag a cotton ball with ant killer like Raid soaked ... seal the bag and wait for the ants to die...

andy.barron
Feb 26, 2008, 05:37 PM
perhaps they are trying to put a more urgent post to this site & don't have broadband, so give em' an hour or to to compile their thread & I'm sure they'll clear off:D

LightDemon69
Feb 26, 2008, 05:42 PM
perhaps they are trying to put a more urgent post to this site & don't have broadband, so give em' an hour or to to compile their thread & I'm sure they'll clear off:D

You win;)

Samarium
Feb 26, 2008, 05:48 PM
Yay! I think they all got out/killed now. Photos would have been great but I was too concentrated on killing each one. Thanks for the help guys, I hope that this doesnt happen again.

nfg315
Feb 26, 2008, 05:50 PM
ants hate cinnamon and peppermint oil, maybe take a damp cloth apply some peppermint oil and give the book a quick wipedown...that should keep them from coming back

any idea how they got in there in the first place?

Pigumon
Feb 26, 2008, 06:21 PM
This Is How Skynet Started!!!

Techsavyfreak
Feb 26, 2008, 08:30 PM

What the heck is that command supposed to do?

Luis
Feb 26, 2008, 08:34 PM
What the heck is that command supposed to do?

Run both cores at 100% (if the command is the one I remember it is)

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2008, 08:36 PM

I was half joking. Sorta. Well, I've put a laptop on ice packs while running some stress tests. I figured that might help freeze the little bastards.

I'm kinda a genius when it comes to creative ways to put expensive hardware in danger.

m85476585
Feb 26, 2008, 09:20 PM

Lithium batteries won't work well in the cold, but I doubt it will do any permanent damage. Just don't use (or even charge) the battery before it has reached room temperature all the way through.

Ants in the CD slot could be bad if you don't get them all out (if any die/freeze while they are inside).

Fiasco
Feb 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
Do you have pictures?

Victor ch
Feb 26, 2008, 09:27 PM

Been there done that:p This happened to my old PB when I ate near it and crumbs went in everywhere... Got a CD in it to slice the bastards, run "yes" under terminal to make the CPU and fans work at the peak and quickly got heated; They either died of overheat or were sliced by the CD/Fans:cool: Ants can't tolerate that much heat, nor the fans chopping them :D

Victor

Hello.there
Feb 26, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry, but.........:D :D :D :D :D

Okay. Apologies.

Maybe you should try playing this (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=bPjfD8ulnpw) to them?

WillJS
Feb 26, 2008, 10:23 PM
This thread is full of win.

(been spending to much time on the WoW boards :()

nickXedge
Feb 26, 2008, 10:48 PM
I thought this was a joke or plea for attention until the post with links to other people with this same problem.

It seems like you got it under control, however if it becomes a problem again, my suggestion is this:

Take it to your local Apple store and purchase a ProCare membership. It's $100 for a year or $80 if you're a college student. Among other things, with the membership, they will literally clean out your system inside and out. As soon as you pay for the ProCare, take out your Macbook and tell them you want to have it cleaned out.

Maybe even tell them why. Weird.

Brixzor
Feb 27, 2008, 04:42 AM
HAHA! they are watching p0rn :P forget about getting them out!

tremendous
Feb 27, 2008, 04:56 AM
If i were you i'd be more concerned about having ants in my living areas. maybe get some traps dude.

and tidy up that old, rotting food by the sofa.

pcorajr
Feb 27, 2008, 06:11 AM
Next time take pictures of this. Where do you live? i guess been in PA is an advantage. Here ants only show up in the Summer months.

tuosfan
Feb 27, 2008, 07:53 AM
47 posts and nobody has made the joke of their macbook being full of bugs? c'mon people!

cudo
Feb 27, 2008, 08:03 AM
it si gonna be really bad if the mother queen is there and she started to breed :D

tMac85
Feb 27, 2008, 08:18 AM
wow this was one of my favorite thread topics. you dont hear this stuff everyday kids!

netdog
Feb 27, 2008, 08:21 AM
Good God how could you have failed to take pictures! This would seem a serious enough offense to have you banned from the forum!!! :eek::eek::eek:

officerdick
Feb 27, 2008, 08:23 AM
Dont worry, i once had a beetle stuck under my motherboard, i noticed it by i smelled something burnt, i opened my compaq, and there it was, jammed between the case and the motherboard. It mannaged to shortcircuit the power bus, so the coneector from my power supply to the motherboard, was totally melted. I had to replace both :(

Serious Bug!

jpow112
Feb 27, 2008, 08:41 AM
YOU FOOL!

You've inadvertently activated the master plan - all macs contain a module of Warrior iAnts - that were meant to be released on Jan 1st 2010 - simultaneously..

now only God in heaven knows what will happen

SAVE YOURSELVES!!!!

Chitoneus
Feb 27, 2008, 09:06 AM
I just did a quick Google search on ants and electric fields, and it turns out that they are known for being attracted to electronics. Apparently, they are a major cause of traffic signal shorts in Texas.

Oh, and that Ant Music video is pretty horrible.

tYsopz
Feb 27, 2008, 09:48 AM
If you are to freeze them to death, you might as well put your computer under water and turn it on.

DO NOT PUT YOUR COMPUTER IN A FREEZER.

iSamurai
Feb 27, 2008, 10:02 AM
My question is... what delicious thing inside your MacBook might the ants be interested in? :D

the sweet scent of apple core... 2 duo :D:D haha, double pun there~

TJones
Feb 27, 2008, 10:07 AM

Well you could take out the battery but honestly I don't think it's a fantastic idea to put a MB in a freezer. Better to use the pile of sugar idea.

bluedoggiant
Feb 27, 2008, 11:04 AM

How?? i tried that, and boy, it got hot, even through the speck see thru case!!

Melan
Feb 27, 2008, 11:24 AM
I say we smoke the little hoo-daddy's out - always worked on my pop's ranch!