PDA

View Full Version : Pic of new MacBook design.... [unofficial]

mogzieee
Apr 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
I posted the pic on this MacRumors news article, but this thread is all about the piccy.... what do you think of it?

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=111230&stc=1&d=1207599605

You'll see that its pretty much the same shape, but look closer. I've darken the casing to make it look like Aluminum... I've redone the Keyboard to match the MBA, and the track pad has been enlarged....

So anyway.... talk!

szsiddiq
Apr 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
Retro...reminiscent of the old titanium powerbooks, with the black keyboards...though i suppose the Air already brought that back

Santa Rosa
Apr 7, 2008, 03:31 PM
That enlarged trackpad idea was taken from the earlier rumors about the Air is it not. The air has the enlarged trackpad now so I think that is what it will stay at. I doubt that the Macbook line will ever have a trackpad like what you are depicting in your mockup.

sleepingworker
Apr 7, 2008, 03:32 PM
Not to knock your effort, but I hope the design will be less an homage to the boxy titanium PB and more in line with the MBA.

mogzieee
Apr 7, 2008, 03:34 PM
That enlarged trackpad idea was taken from the earlier rumors about the Air is it not. The air has the enlarged trackpad now so I think that is what it will stay at. I doubt that the Macbook line will ever have a trackpad like what you are depicting in your mockup.

Personally I thought that too, however, a tonne of people are saying thinks like "awwh in the next decade everything will be touchscreen" and "ooer i bet computers will have more to do with touching these coming days"... etc. I understand i may be on the unlikely side, but maybe Apple will lead the innovation into the semi-touchscreen world

joelm1988
Apr 7, 2008, 03:53 PM
Be interesting to see how close you are to the actual re-design. I would think that maybe a more curved look could be used to fit with the MBA, unless Apple choose to keep solid product differentiation.

GoCubsGo
Apr 7, 2008, 03:54 PM
Looks like ass with that new black keyboard.

Mr_Brightside_@
Apr 7, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'd still touch it.

iMpathetic
Apr 7, 2008, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind a MB like that (in aluminum) at all, however, that trackpad is TOO BIG. That would just look horrifically ugly in real life, IMHO.

mogzieee
Apr 7, 2008, 04:10 PM

its just a copy and paste of the macbook air's, merged into place.

Nothing wrong with it....

szsiddiq
Apr 7, 2008, 04:13 PM

Well that's sweet...
I think the rendering came out a little weird...the white/grey on the keyboard is a different tone from the rest of the body. Try matching the colors a bit, and it might look more seamless.

Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of the black keys on the air, but I know lots of people who love em.

wedge234
Apr 7, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm really not a fan of the Air's key layout. I think the keys are too small and don't have much "pop" to them that both the macbook and the macbook pro have, respectively. I personally hope they don't mess with the keyboards much.

mogzieee
Apr 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
There's been some other mock ups made:

JamesWilk
http://i30.tinypic.com/mcxdeb.jpg

WinMacLin
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9800/macbookproch9.png

Cph901
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9832/macbpromm7.jpg

Zwhaler
Apr 7, 2008, 05:05 PM
I like the WinMacLin one. But everyone will cry foul if the new MBP is glossy only. I guarantee you that.

sleepingworker
Apr 7, 2008, 05:17 PM
... thinner and tapered is probably more likely. I think the boxy look of the MBP/PB/MB will be gone.

jesusplay
Apr 7, 2008, 07:25 PM
add LED to the macbook and im sold!

SuperCompu2
Apr 7, 2008, 07:34 PM
While I do like the OP's design, I believe the addition of backlit keys is a bit farfetched. Backlit keys are a feature Apple uses to draw customers over to the Prosumer->Pro side of the spectrum, as SuperDrives and other features have been over the years.

I do like the second MBP down on that later post. I would drool if that was the new design. Brilliant.

GoCubsGo
Apr 7, 2008, 07:39 PM
Well that's sweet...
I think the rendering came out a little weird...the white/grey on the keyboard is a different tone from the rest of the body. Try matching the colors a bit, and it might look more seamless.

Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of the black keys on the air, but I know lots of people who love em.
Oh I didn't mean the rendering looked like ass. I meant the keyboard. Sorry but that was not really directed towards the artist.

SFStateStudent
Apr 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
It looks like a MBA that needs to go on a "diet." :p

szsiddiq
Apr 7, 2008, 07:59 PM
Oh I didn't mean the rendering looked like ass. I meant the keyboard. Sorry but that was not really directed towards the artist.

No worries! I'm in agreement with you on that :)

k2spitfire88
Apr 7, 2008, 08:23 PM
I like the second and third pix! Think black will be pro only, or macbook too, bc i want the black-when i have money, but i cant get the pro, way too much $ what do you think?

sleepingworker
Apr 7, 2008, 08:35 PM
add LED to the macbook and im sold!

It will happen. Apple is trying to go more "green" (or as much as one can being a technology company).

n1ght
Apr 7, 2008, 08:37 PM
Backlit keys have never been an available feature on Apple's lower end products. It would certainly be a drastic change. I think the Macbook and Apple Keyboard will share the white keys while MacBook Pro and MacBook Air will share the black backlit keyboard.

2GB RAM and SuperDrive standard need to happen on the next revision.

Multi-touch is likely happen, but may occur a little later. IMO, an LED-backlit display would be preferable over a backlit keyboard or multi-touch.

gkarris
Apr 7, 2008, 09:03 PM

I'd still touch it.

The Al MacBook will probably look like the MBA, but with a thicker bottom... :eek:

MacHappytjg
Apr 7, 2008, 09:22 PM
the track pad looks stupid i dont like that

sleepingworker
Apr 7, 2008, 09:27 PM
Found this image of the soon to be released MBP but think it might be a fake. Apple logo is distorted and if you look closely, you can see that the PS skill was lacking. Still, the design is pretty cool and I would buy it in a minute if it has blu-ray and a magnetic latch!

mogzieee
Apr 8, 2008, 04:35 AM
Found this image of the soon to be released MBP but think it might be a fake. Apple logo is distorted and if you look closely, you can see that the PS skill was lacking. Still, the design is pretty cool and I would buy it in a minute if it has blu-ray and a magnetic latch!

LOL! Thats awesome man!

Natsu
Apr 8, 2008, 05:24 AM
I like the old designs already, but it would be wonderful if they made the macbooks thinner

wvuwhat
Apr 8, 2008, 05:24 AM
I'd be all over an Aluminum MacBook, so long as it has:
-2GB ram
-Multitouch (I'm all about using fingers to go back and forth online)
-ALUMINUM!!!
-LED Backlight
-Backlit Keyboard

I'd be fine with it being 100 or 150 more than what the current MacBooks go for. I'd especially love it if they'd throw an extra inch on the screen and "thinned" out the plastic/aluminum around the screen so that it wouldn't add extra dimension...

k2spitfire88
Apr 8, 2008, 06:32 AM
store is down!

Steinberg
Apr 8, 2008, 07:06 AM

The new macbook pro comes in a pizza box?

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 07:14 AM
The new macbook pro comes in a pizza box?

Well, from the photo is does seem Pizza capable.

k2spitfire88
Apr 8, 2008, 07:18 AM
Well, from the photo is does seem Pizza capable.

What's the resolution of the cheese with this new Pizza Book?

krye
Apr 8, 2008, 07:46 AM
omg those are horrible

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 07:50 AM
What's the resolution of the cheese with this new Pizza Book?

1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

... "Pizza Book" lol!

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 07:57 AM
store is down!

Store is back up. Same HP as yesterday. And so another Tuesday passes.

k2spitfire88
Apr 8, 2008, 08:02 AM
Store is back up. Same HP as yesterday. And so another Tuesday passes.

I think the only changes were that final cut sever is now shipping, as is the 802.11n time capsule, correct me if I'm wrong

L3X
Apr 8, 2008, 09:27 AM
a Black Aluminum MBP would be sick. I like that Black Jack image.

k2spitfire88
Apr 8, 2008, 10:06 AM
a Black Aluminum MBP would be sick. I like that Black Jack image.

That combined with the screen layot of the second pic (in the group of 3) makes it a beautiful machine:D

Zwhaler
Apr 8, 2008, 10:11 AM
I'd be all over an Aluminum MacBook, so long as it has:
-2GB ram
-Multitouch (I'm all about using fingers to go back and forth online)
-ALUMINUM!!!
-LED Backlight
-Backlit Keyboard

I'd be fine with it being 100 or 150 more than what the current MacBooks go for. I'd especially love it if they'd throw an extra inch on the screen and "thinned" out the plastic/aluminum around the screen so that it wouldn't add extra dimension...

You realize that you are describing the MBP and MBA :p Get one of those

Rhosfelt
Apr 8, 2008, 10:15 AM
looks like he is going into the rumor a while ago, when the multi-touch was first thought of.

I love my Black MacBook, and even if alu comes out I won't think twice; unless the MBs have backlight keyboards (which they won't)... That is one thing I miss, but for me the alu just got too hot and dented and scratched really easily. For the new macbook I just have to clean my handprints off it. :)

tMac85
Apr 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
like the track pad would ever be that big. we all have WRISTS!

they gotta go somewhere!

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
I love my Black MacBook, and even if alu comes out I won't think twice; unless the MBs have backlight keyboards (which they won't)

I would think the MB's would have the backlit keys if there is a major design change. Have you read something that makes you think they won't? Curious.

Rhosfelt
Apr 8, 2008, 10:27 AM
I would think the MB's would have the backlit keys if there is a major design change. Have you read something that makes you think they won't? Curious.

I believe someone said it here before I did, but they need something to separate the MacBooks from the "Pro" line.

Sure the MBA has it, however its $700 more, so it is basically in the "Pro" line. Aside from the fact that iBooks never had it, the switch to Alu with a backlight keyboard would separate the Macbooks from the MBPs by either 2" or 4".. not enough to warrant a "MacBook" class.

You 'mise well sell a 13.3" or 14" MBP.

razyorv
Apr 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7624/albookxp8.png
quick and dirty Photoshopping . . .

CalmEnvy
Apr 8, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'm fine with my MacBook but should be interesting to see what both will look like if they are getting redesigned.

k2spitfire88
Apr 8, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm fine with my MacBook but should be interesting to see what both will look like if they are getting redesigned.

I think it will be Air-style (or Air-esque) but larger, keeping the sizes constant across the board, and improving the processors even more. Anyone agree/disagree? I think the Aluminum and glass look will be all over the new laptops, hopefully with black as an option!

(30th post)

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think it will be Air-style (or Air-esque) but larger, keeping the sizes constant across the board, and improving the processors even more. Anyone agree/disagree? I think the Aluminum and glass look will be all over the new laptops, hopefully with black as an option!

(30th post)

I agree for the most part (but don't think they will be in black MBP) - but I hope that Ive pushes both the design and the idea of multi-touch farther than we are currently imagining in the mock-ups.

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 04:44 PM
I believe someone said it here before I did, but they need something to separate the MacBooks from the "Pro" line.

Sure the MBA has it, however its $700 more, so it is basically in the "Pro" line. Aside from the fact that iBooks never had it, the switch to Alu with a backlight keyboard would separate the Macbooks from the MBPs by either 2" or 4".. not enough to warrant a "MacBook" class.

You 'mise well sell a 13.3" or 14" MBP.

Your points are well taken. I do think power, speed, HD/SSD size, etc. will separate the MBP from the MB. I also hope, as I just posted, that there will be some design additions that haven't been considered so far in the renderings - not merely a larger MBA for example. Appleinsider posted that there would be "major design changes". That makes me hope ... and get ready to part with about $4000 by the time it's tricked out. :)

QCassidy352
Apr 8, 2008, 06:16 PM

I think it looks badass. :cool:

I wouldn't mind a MB like that (in aluminum) at all, however, that trackpad is TOO BIG. That would just look horrifically ugly in real life, IMHO.

I agree... seems a bit much. And really, what would be the advantage over what the Air has?

I think the macbook will not get backlit keys. That's still used to differentiate between "consumer" and "pro," even though the technology is years old now.

I really like the JamesWilk mockup. :)

MacHappytjg
Apr 8, 2008, 06:18 PM
lmao my friend is pissed cause when he gets a macbook he wants it white like the current model

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 09:56 PM
lmao my friend is pissed cause when he gets a macbook he wants it white like the current model

Your friend will be in luck, because when the next redesign hits everyone will be selling their white and black mac books on ebay!

sleepingworker
Apr 8, 2008, 10:05 PM
LOL! Thats awesome man!

Thank you thread starter! Not only does PS and opening RAW files feel zippy on it, but it keeps your pizza warm too :)

Ferrari83
Apr 9, 2008, 03:13 AM
Hopefully white version still available~~~

Just got my white macbook 2.4 version :)

Mac Donald Duck
Apr 9, 2008, 04:16 AM
i Hope apple will finally turn the black macbook in a pro 13,3 model

-Macbook basic 13,3'' (2gb ram, superdrive, led lcd, 160gb hd)1099$

-Macbook advanced 13,3'' (4gb ram,double layer superdrive with blu ray reader, 180gb HD) 1299$

-Macbook Pro Black 13,3''(4gb ram, blu ray reader 250gb HD, Nvidia VGA 200gb hd) 1599$

-Macbook Air( montevina refresh, 4gb ram) 1799$

-Macbook Pro 15" (blue ray , 4gb ram 250gb hd) 1999$

-Macbook pro 15" ( 8gb ram, blu ray 320gb HD)2499$

-Macbook Pro 17" (8gb ram,blu ray 320gb HD)2799$

BornToMac
Apr 9, 2008, 08:45 AM

LOL... I so have to have this as soon as it comes out!

sleepingworker
Apr 9, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hopefully white version still available~~~

Just got my white macbook 2.4 version :)

The article in appleinsider stated "... the 13-inch consumer MacBooks will undergo the most significant metamorphosis, shedding their plastic enclosures for ones constructed from more eco-friendly materials such as aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel, people familiar with the matter say."

You did well to buy now if a white mac book was what you want :)

Macgirl87
Apr 9, 2008, 10:12 AM
I like the new look, but in the end isn't it the functionality that matters? Having said that, I do think the white looks too "plastic-y."

iMpathetic
Apr 9, 2008, 10:13 AM
Why doesn't apple release a 15 inch MacBook? That'd probably attract many, many PC users, even if the screen was at 1280x800.

Sort of like the 14 inch iBook. They have no replacement for that, so far.

k2spitfire88
Apr 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
i Hope apple will finally turn the black macbook in a pro 13,3 model

-Macbook basic 13,3'' (2gb ram, superdrive, led lcd, 160gb hd)1099$

-Macbook advanced 13,3'' (4gb ram,double layer superdrive with blu ray reader, 180gb HD) 1299$

-Macbook Pro Black 13,3''(4gb ram, blu ray reader 250gb HD, Nvidia VGA 200gb hd) 1599$

-Macbook Air( montevina refresh, 4gb ram) 1799$

-Macbook Pro 15" (blue ray , 4gb ram 250gb hd) 1999$

-Macbook pro 15" ( 8gb ram, blu ray 320gb HD)2499$

-Macbook Pro 17" (8gb ram,blu ray 320gb HD)2799$

I really like the sound of that! If the did the blackbook as a pro (smaller screen and small dedicated graphics card) it would be such a beast! I hope they would keep the price the same! I think that would help bridge the gap between the people who find the macbook isnt powerful enough, and the MBP is way too much (both money and powerwise)

MacHappytjg
Apr 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
Your friend will be in luck, because when the next redesign hits everyone will be selling their white and black mac books on ebay!

well he planned on buying new so yea

PFrankMD
Apr 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
I like the second and third pix! Think black will be pro only, or macbook too, bc i want the black-when i have money, but i cant get the pro, way too much $ what do you think?

i'm not sure, but i feel the same way. i'm hoping that if macbooks go aluminum, that there will be an option for a black coated one (even if it is a bit more money)

manilikesmac
Apr 9, 2008, 08:26 PM

not only that.
where would you rest your arms/wrists.
like you accedently move the cursor while typing and your wrist would hit it and it would be a hassle.
i think its fine how the mbp/mba mousepad thing is.

sleepingworker
Apr 10, 2008, 01:35 AM
LOL... I so have to have this as soon as it comes out!

Following in Woz's footsteps, I'm making these in the garage! ... usually after UFC Fight Nights ;)

sleepingworker
Apr 10, 2008, 01:37 AM
i'm not sure, but i feel the same way. i'm hoping that if macbooks go aluminum, that there will be an option for a black coated one (even if it is a bit more money)

Apple will be offering the iSpray - color in a can. A black MBP will be as simple as "shake & spray" tm! ;)

arin
Apr 10, 2008, 02:24 AM
Apple will be offering the iSpray - color in a can. A black MBP will be as simple as "shake & spray" tm! ;)

that's a revolutionary idea! you should patent this before you posted online! :D
iSpray - Colors to your tomorrow.

mogzieee
Apr 10, 2008, 05:40 AM
Thank you thread starter! Not only does PS and opening RAW files feel zippy on it, but it keeps your pizza warm too :)

LOL!