Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that the number of macbooks around is increasing dramatically? Like right now, in the library that I am in, there are over half a dozen within 20 feet of me.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
open iChat and open the Bonjour list from the Window menu to see if anyone else has iChat open and you can give them a chatting.
Im not sure if i should admit this here but i deleted iChat long ago and I never even used it once. I use skype to talk to my woman, who has windows vista, twice a day and I use Adium a bit as well.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Im not sure if i should admit this here but i deleted iChat long ago and I never even used it once. I use skype to talk to my woman, who has windows vista, twice a day and I use Adium a bit as well.

well theres the one use you could of used it for :D. i need to remember to do this the next time i Mac it to uni as i too dont use iChat much.

Last edited:

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
"I sold mine because they were becoming too common. To retain indie cred I opted for a obscure korean brand laptop."
That's the lamest thing I've heard all week. Lol

Laco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
I sold mine because they were becoming too common. To retain indie cred I opted for a obscure korean brand laptop.

Oddly enough, the decision that finally pushed me to buy the Macbook was because it was becoming common because I didn't want something that was considered Indie, hippie, or used overwhelmingly by artistic types.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I sold mine because they were becoming too common. To retain indie cred I opted for a obscure korean brand laptop.

Possessions do not define you. Cred is earned through actions, not ownership. Rare concept in the ego and image driven society known as "me."

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
My teacher has 2 macbooks and a powerbook, and me and my friend have one each, in our Alevel ICT class. And theres only about 6 in the class.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Has anyone else noticed that the number of macbooks around is increasing dramatically? Like right now, in the library that I am in, there are over half a dozen within 20 feet of me.

Does your class look like this?

2426198190_cfb04b91d7_o.jpg

University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou)

This person has to feel so left out of the group. LOL :D:D

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
^ theres also a PC to the right of the red circle and the pen and paper kid. :D

i read somewhere that this Lecture recommends you buy a Mac so theres always going to a PC user or someone who doesnt use a notebook at all :eek: so 99% of them are Mac users.

i think these students took advantage of the recommendation because the hardware design is so cool and the OS is nice looking and FAST!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
… Nothing wrong with paper and pencil/pen.

Also, no one wants to steal it and the batteries last forever! :)

i AM a pen and paper kid! i use my Mac for the uni website, surfing, emails and for papers. in lectures we have paper notes.

my battery seems to konk out sometimes and then i need coffee to recharge it!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah i've been seeing a lot more apples lately. We can thank the Intel switch, the iPod and vista's issues for that. 4 people in my class got macbooks (i kinda got them to switch though :eek:) and two others are thinking of switching by the end of summer.

My brother also just got a MBP...and an iPod classic....and an iPhone.

I remember back in 2004 when everyone would look at me funny but with intrigue when i pulled out my 12" Powerbook cos it was so small & sleek and wasn't running windows but still churned out essay papers as per normal...mind boggling for some.

I have to admit though i switched because macs were rare at the time, different and somewhat exclusive in addition to frustrations with a Dell desktop.

Theres no doubt that Apple computers are becoming mainstream and i'm glad...it was high time. I just hope Apple doesn't become a victim of its own success though

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I was at the mall the other day getting my hair cut. 2 girls were there. One had a MacBook and the other had an iPhone. Apple chicks rock.

rajalot

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
I have Apple sticker patched on back of my ThinkPad so it looks a bit like back MacBook. I tend to get same curious looks as when I use iBook in public places until they realize it's not a Mac. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.