Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Im not sure if i should admit this here but i deleted iChat long ago and I never even used it once. I use skype to talk to my woman, who has windows vista, twice a day and I use Adium a bit as well.

I used to never use iChat. I use from time to time since Leopard came out because screen sharing allows me to do remote technical support for my tech-clueless friends without having to issue instructions and have them go "what? what File menu?"

It's good to have it around.

Of course, it makes it easier that everyone in the U.S. uses AIM.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Just to offer a different user experience and IM not exaggerating when I say that in 3 years I have never had the experiences you have. It's odd how some have these issues while many others do not? I wish you the best experience in the future and hope you find out why these things occur. ;)

It's just OS X. Windows in Boot Camp on my MacBooks has been 100% solid. No crashes, no BSODs, no instability whatsoever.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I concur^^^, I recommend that the poster go back to their HP Vista, Mac OS X maybe a bit too much for you to handle and too expensive, after all those problems. I also concur, Mac OS X doesn't work for "everyone!" :(

rofl OS X maybe a bit too much for me to handle? You're funny.

First off, the OS locking up has been from completely random things. Deleting pictures from Trash. Clicking "Burn" in a "Burn Folder". Or like the other night in the middle of a Skype call. Everything was going along fine and then the system completely locked up. It's not like *I* am doing something to cause the crashes. They just simply happen.

But as I said, none of this happens in Windows on the same machine.

I've been building computers for more than 10 years now. Nothing computer related is "too much for me to handle". It's just the fact that OS X has issues that the Apple fanatics refuse to admit.

And yes, Macs are too expensive for the hardware you get. My HP was around $450 less than my MacBook. Processor is roughly the same (2GHz SR Merom vs 2.16GHz Napa Merom), 2GB of RAM (vs 1) 160GB HDD (vs 120 at the time), GeForce 8400M GS w/HDCP certified HDMI output vs the GMA 950 (which is still better than the X3100!). I can hook up an external enclosure housing a blu-ray drive to my HP and play blu-ray discs on my HDTV and the processor won't even break 10% of one core used. Yet my $1406 MacBook (after taxes) can't play those movies AND the average CPU use for playing DVDs is 5x higher (25-30% one core) than blu-ray discs on the HP!

puma7

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
I don't really mind what OS i use so long as it's stable. However there are some things that bug me with Vista, is it at all possible to disable or turn of the repeated warnings?

It seems whenever something needs to access the internet, i have to check OK! Then on my next session, I get asked again and again... it's like my Vista has amnesia!!

Yes, there is an option in preferences that you can change to turn off all of those warnings.

tresbien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
Maryland
When I was in elementary school, my school received free computers from apple. We had a huge computer lab, 15 computers in every classroom, and some classes even had 15-20 laptops. There technique worked, now that I'm older and have the money to actually buy a computer, I instantly decided apple, because they brainwashed me when I was young.

Last time I was at a coffee shop, the apple laptops outnumbered the pc's, it made me proud =]

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
rofl OS X maybe a bit too much for me to handle? You're funny.

First off, the OS locking up has been from completely random things. Deleting pictures from Trash. Clicking "Burn" in a "Burn Folder". Or like the other night in the middle of a Skype call. Everything was going along fine and then the system completely locked up. It's not like *I* am doing something to cause the crashes. They just simply happen.

But as I said, none of this happens in Windows on the same machine.

I've been building computers for more than 10 years now. Nothing computer related is "too much for me to handle". It's just the fact that OS X has issues that the Apple fanatics refuse to admit.

And yes, Macs are too expensive for the hardware you get. My HP was around $450 less than my MacBook. Processor is roughly the same (2GHz SR Merom vs 2.16GHz Napa Merom), 2GB of RAM (vs 1) 160GB HDD (vs 120 at the time), GeForce 8400M GS w/HDCP certified HDMI output vs the GMA 950 (which is still better than the X3100!). I can hook up an external enclosure housing a blu-ray drive to my HP and play blu-ray discs on my HDTV and the processor won't even break 10% of one core used. Yet my $1406 MacBook (after taxes) can't play those movies AND the average CPU use for playing DVDs is 5x higher (25-30% one core) than blu-ray discs on the HP!

I think when he said that, he was just poking a little fun at you. I agree with his sentiment, though. Your reply seems to denote that his comment was somehow fanboyish, yet he made the recommendation that you stick with Vista. If Mac OS X is not cutting it for you, and you don't like the computer, there is absolutely NO reason why you should want to keep using it, Mac or not. You obviously have a very different experience from others here, as the difference between my Macbook and my other computers is great in so many ways that even if my Macbook was $1500 and my $800 Inspiron became $500, I'd still buy the Macbook if I had the conceit of hindsight, because it (the Inspiron) has been THAT much more inefficient for me. Do you get what I'm saying? I'm basically saying it's different tunes for different people, and nobody should seriously berate you for liking Windows, or even liking Windows more, even if their experience has not be the same. :)

blondechic578

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
UnderTheSun
Ok back to topic ha has anyone seen that funny picture of a college class & every single person has a macbook except for one with a pen % pencil?? I guess that shows how popular macbooks are to students. Im a student too and i love my macbook :p I used to use a PC but after switching i dont even know why PC's exsist! Macs are SOO much easier than them! And they look amazing too. Plus it comes with some sweet apple stickers that you can put on your car :D hahaha. I cant wait untill they come up with pink or blue macbooks...Well a girl can dream, cant she?

28monkeys

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand
When I was in elementary school, my school received free computers from apple. We had a huge computer lab, 15 computers in every classroom, and some classes even had 15-20 laptops. There technique worked, now that I'm older and have the money to actually buy a computer, I instantly decided apple, because they brainwashed me when I was young.

Last time I was at a coffee shop, the apple laptops outnumbered the pc's, it made me proud =]

that is n't brain washing. it's a white wash. PC is a devil and so is microsoft.

:D

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I enjoy using my MacBook - it's not as fast as my Mac Pro, but it beats my Pro for portability. Sure can't haul the desktop upstairs and sit in one of the chairs with a bottle of water and surf the Interwebs with it, hehe.

gtimark

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
High Desert, CA
How ironic.

In the 90's, my students would laugh at the fact that I had a Mac at home (laptops were NOT very common - or at least cheap -- back then). And now, when I pull out the 'ol MB in class, I get a chorus of "wows" and "cools" from the current crop of students!

How the pendulum has swung. :)

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Has anyone else noticed that the number of macbooks around is increasing dramatically? Like right now, in the library that I am in, there are over half a dozen within 20 feet of me.

the exact same thing happened a few weeks ago! i was at the library and at the table across from me were 6-7 students: all but one had a white macbook. the last guy had a......black macbook! and then to my right was a powerbook g4 and i think an ibook. all these apple books in a small room!

haha and that picture is funny. imagine your school saying that macs were recommended and thinking no one else was going to get one. you go to class and find you're the only one with a pc. having even a macbook is kinda embarassing in the crowd of macbook pros

also, i don't know if it's a good thing that macs are becoming more mainstream. i like being the underdog that gets attacked but suddenly becomes the subject of envy when i finally whip out my mac :p

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I use a PC at home, mainly for games and other stuff (gasp) but when it comes to being remote, I use my Macbook. I'm on my second iPod, I ran out of space on my original 20GB and I manage all of that on the Macbook. I'm not new to Apple, I had a Apple IIe in 1983 and a Woz IIgs in 1986. I still have it somewhere at my parents, safely packed in a box. :D

I prefer the white one because there's no other laptop that looks quite like it. I feel the same way about the Air and MBP, but wanted something smaller since I wasn't playing games on it. Sure, the blackbook is cool, but it is more money and the white laptop with the glowing apple just stands out more as a whole. To me anyway.

The blackbook looks like a Thinkpad to me.

It will be bittersweet if Apples goes Al on the Macbook. I'd like the Al but the white is unique. Oh well, we'll see.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
You're still in the "honeymoon" phase.

You'll be singing a different tune a year into it. I've had my MacBook for more than a year and two months now. I've had OS X (two different systems, two different versions of OS X) lock up more times than I ever had Windows lock up in nearly 2 decades. I was in the middle of a Skype call last night. OS X completely froze for seemingly no reason. My 7 month old HP has not even so much as become unstable in the time I've owned in, and its running Vista!

Then why keep it? Sell it on EBay, and go to your PC full time. Seems like it's better for you. I'm an IT professional, and use Windows daily [both XP and Vista, as well as a host of MS Server technologies]. XP systems get hosed regularly, and constantly need attention and tweaking. My daily desktop has to be rebooted daily, otherwise memory gets too low to do anything. I never have that issue with either my MB or iMac.

If XP/Vista run well for you, you're definitely the minority.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
It will be bittersweet if Apples goes Al on the Macbook. I'd like the Al but the white is unique. Oh well, we'll see.

Wouldn't this be nice

macbook_nano.jpg

Or perhaps this

mbp_new.jpg
:D

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
When I worked on my first proper theatre production, about 4 years ago, I was the only one there with an Apple laptop (powerbook)

Last week I went to work on a new production and in the rehearsal room, of the 6 laptops there, 5 were Apple, (macbooks, blackbooks and a mbp) and the 6th person was saving up to get an Apple.

Did feel like I was in a sea of apples.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Possessions do not define you. Cred is earned through actions, not ownership. Rare concept in the ego and image driven society known as "me."

That's all over the place. Choosing to purchase, purchasing and then using something in public is defined by you. You define the purchase so it reflects you, as do other actions. Of course we're manipulated by advertising, but that's another matter.

Oh, and there are a lot of macbooks and, a disturbingly large number of MBPs here.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
I hope that with the expansion of Apple MBs (and other computers by Apple), that hackers won't find the need to create wild viruses for them.

But I still believe PCs are mostly used if you look at the perspective globally.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I hope that with the expansion of Apple MBs (and other computers by Apple), that hackers won't find the need to create wild viruses for them.

But I still believe PCs are mostly used if you look at the perspective globally.

The reason there are none has nothing to do with market share, as is shown by the fact that many wild viruses existed for pre-OS X Macs. The security is built into the OS. It's not about being impenetrable, it's about never having to worry about getting a virus just from, say, receiving an attachment, because you alone have the power to give it control.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

No, your computer/install of OS X has issues. My mother, gf, 2 brothers, and myself all have intel macs running tiger or leopard. None of us has a single one of the problems you describe. Ditto my friends at school who used macs. Sorry your experience wasn't good, but honestly, it's just your mac.

Anyway, yes, the number of macbooks at my school increased exponentially from the time I started to the time I graduated. By this year there were a great many in every class, and sometimes they nearly outnumbered PCs.

springerj

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Portland, OR
That Mizzou pic

That mizzou pic of the lecture hall full of macs (and a lonely acer) is absolutely incredible.

Is this for real? What's the story here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.