Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
That mizzou pic of the lecture hall full of macs (and a lonely acer) is absolutely incredible.

Is this for real? What's the story here?

For those that are missing out on this...

It's a picture from The Missouri School of Journalism during a lecture.
The school has adopted Apple as their computer of choice. And it is the one that they recommend to the students. See the post on the linked article. Someone posted the school's computer requirements. They strongly recommend Apple and urge students to not buy a Win PC.

http://blog.syracuse.com/technofile/2007/10/college_kids_dont_use_macs_or.html

Attachments

• 9489b70ab55692ffcac3ec776aa50a1f_img_6672s.jpg
    9489b70ab55692ffcac3ec776aa50a1f_img_6672s.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 247

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I think when he said that, he was just poking a little fun at you. I agree with his sentiment, though. Your reply seems to denote that his comment was somehow fanboyish, yet he made the recommendation that you stick with Vista. If Mac OS X is not cutting it for you, and you don't like the computer, there is absolutely NO reason why you should want to keep using it, Mac or not. You obviously have a very different experience from others here, as the difference between my Macbook and my other computers is great in so many ways that even if my Macbook was $1500 and my $800 Inspiron became $500, I'd still buy the Macbook if I had the conceit of hindsight, because it (the Inspiron) has been THAT much more inefficient for me. Do you get what I'm saying? I'm basically saying it's different tunes for different people, and nobody should seriously berate you for liking Windows, or even liking Windows more, even if their experience has not be the same. :)

I never really understood how people say OS X helps them to be "more efficient" honestly. I can get just as much done in either OS in equal amount of time.

But anyway, it's not that I don't like the Mac. I'm just saying it has its downsides as well. Like problems with complete system lockups that many people around here do complain about but it seems to get passed over by most.

Oh and the lack of a dedicated GPU. It is sad that the last iBook still has a better GPU than any of the MacBooks. Going from the Radeon 9550 (or even the older 9200) to an Intel GMA 950 was like turning the clock back 4 years.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I agree with the University Policy

For those that didn't follow the University link, the school basically says get a Mac to avoid viruses and other malware and cut down on their support load. Bravo! A good policy. My kids have been using Macs in public school for years and while freezes and such were commonplace before OS X, stability is now the norm.

I have been using Mac for several years now but only recently converted all of my household machines to mac. Until this past February, it was a constant litany of "I can't print" alternating with "I can't get on the net" and the occasional virus, adware or spyware. I find I am able to get more done on my Mac at home than on my IT administered machine at work. The difference? Virus software. Every document I open on the PC requires a virus scan. At 25-50 documents a day, it really gets in my way. Yes, there are some annoynances on the Mac. I'd really like it if Time Machine could sense I was typing and go away and come back later to do its backups. There are a few other annoyances as well, but they pale by comparison to the hassles on windows.

Mac really is better. Really. Is it M$ fault? In part, yes because of their legacy of ignoring security. In part no, because they aren't to blame for the plethora of adware/spyware that requires such aggressive antivirus software.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Never saw a student with a Mac here. (besides my friend with an iMac, but its me who convinced him to get a Mac)

I'm studying in the biggest local university too.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
For those that didn't follow the University link, the school basically says get a Mac to avoid viruses and other malware and cut down on their support load. Bravo! A good policy. My kids have been using Macs in public school for years and while freezes and such were commonplace before OS X, stability is now the norm.

I have been using Mac for several years now but only recently converted all of my household machines to mac. Until this past February, it was a constant litany of "I can't print" alternating with "I can't get on the net" and the occasional virus, adware or spyware. I find I am able to get more done on my Mac at home than on my IT administered machine at work. The difference? Virus software. Every document I open on the PC requires a virus scan. At 25-50 documents a day, it really gets in my way. Yes, there are some annoynances on the Mac. I'd really like it if Time Machine could sense I was typing and go away and come back later to do its backups. There are a few other annoyances as well, but they pale by comparison to the hassles on windows.

Mac really is better. Really. Is it M$ fault? In part, yes because of their legacy of ignoring security. In part no, because they aren't to blame for the plethora of adware/spyware that requires such aggressive antivirus software.

Beware the day when the marketshare for Macs actually is big enough to interest the hackers and virus makers.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I still see a majority of people locally with PC's,
and a lot of my friends use PC's, but I try my best to convince them to make the switch.

I've gotta do my part. :)

I have a couple of friends at work that have been coming by to ogle at my MacBook every so often for sometime now. Been asking me about when WWDC is and the probable product updates. Me thinks they are going to switch very soon. ;)

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
beautiful... is.. what is it?(first pic)?

A "mini-MacBook" mockup made before MacWorld 2008. In real life, we got the Air.

Do you think the new MBs might have backlit keyboard...

I think it's an extravagance you shouldn't expect on the bottom dollar line of MacBooks; neither should you expect a dedicated GPU, ExpressCard port, fw800, DVI, matte screen etc... the products are close enough as is without MB robbing all of MBP's features

cpjrmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
^ theres also a PC to the right of the red circle and the pen and paper kid. :D

i read somewhere that this Lecture recommends you buy a Mac so theres always going to a PC user or someone who doesnt use a notebook at all :eek: so 99% of them are Mac users.

i think these students took advantage of the recommendation because the hardware design is so cool and the OS is nice looking and FAST!

I'm going to Mizzou in the fall, and they recommend getting a Mac. I'm assuming this is a journalism lecture because they require that you have a laptop and strongly suggest Macs. My girlfriend was in a journalism lecture last semester and her teacher had them all bring their laptops to class one day to take a picture...I'm pretty sure it's that same class as the lecture hall looks eerily similar.

cpjrmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
For those that are missing out on this...

It's a picture from The Missouri School of Journalism during a lecture.
The school has adopted Apple as their computer of choice. And it is the one that they recommend to the students. See the post on the linked article. Someone posted the school's computer requirements. They strongly recommend Apple and urge students to not buy a Win PC.

http://blog.syracuse.com/technofile/2007/10/college_kids_dont_use_macs_or.html

As I mentioned above, that's my girlfriend's class! She's the one on the right side aisle with the pink cover on her Macbook.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I don't really mind what OS i use so long as it's stable. However there are some things that bug me with Vista, is it at all possible to disable or turn of the repeated warnings?

It seems whenever something needs to access the internet, i have to check OK! Then on my next session, I get asked again and again... it's like my Vista has amnesia!!

You can. Its pretty easy, its in the user control panel. I turn it off whenever I install vista, its quite annoying. You do need a reboot after you uncheck the box.

It seems that Microsoft have fixed the problem where if you turn off the UAC, some programs won't install.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
How ironic.

In the 90's, my students would laugh at the fact that I had a Mac at home (laptops were NOT very common - or at least cheap -- back then). And now, when I pull out the 'ol MB in class, I get a chorus of "wows" and "cools" from the current crop of students!

How the pendulum has swung. :)

I missed this the other day.

I see you live in the "High Desert".

You should be more worried about teaching your students to escape from this hell hole of a desert than whether or not they're impressed with your Mac ;)

Admonitor

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I think it's an extravagance you shouldn't expect on the bottom dollar line of MacBooks; neither should you expect a dedicated GPU, ExpressCard port, fw800, DVI, matte screen etc... the products are close enough as is without MB robbing all of MBP's features

I'm not necessarily saying Macbooks should have all of those, but it's not as if Macbooks are "cheap", compared to their PC equivalents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.