PDA

View Full Version : Apple Event: Rackmounts?

arn
May 13, 2002, 01:47 PM
Thinksecret reports (http://www.thinksecret.com/features/rackmountevent.html) that the Apple media event will take place between 9am-12noon PST Tuesday, May 14th:

"Please join us for the unveiling of our new server," event invitations read.

Kid Red
May 13, 2002, 01:49 PM
Curious to see what it looks like and what punches it packs.

MacUser1
May 13, 2002, 01:49 PM
this should be exciting

Mr. Anderson
May 13, 2002, 01:59 PM
Is just showing the new rack servers enough to justify a big todo? Do you think Apple will have a few other things to show? I don't know, if the servers are an serious upgrade from the current specs on the G4 proline, it will be worth it. Too bad I'll be at the dentist during the show, I'll have read it after the fact.

arn
May 13, 2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Is just showing the new rack servers enough to justify a big todo? Do you think Apple will have a few other things to show? I don't know, if the servers are an serious upgrade from the current specs on the G4 proline, it will be worth it. Too bad I'll be at the dentist during the show, I'll have read it after the fact.

I think racks alone are enough news... there was a whole event just for the iPod... :)

arn

iGav
May 13, 2002, 02:06 PM

Dentists.... OUCH...... :eek: nothing major I hope......

I reckon it'll probably just be the servers, and I think they are going to be dramatic change from the existing models to warrant such an event...... although it would be nice to think that there will be more going on.........:D

Backtothemac
May 13, 2002, 02:33 PM
I have to agree with Arn here. This will open up a huge market for Apple. Not only with they be competing based on power and size, but now with
OS X this could really give Apple a market that has gone untouched.

I personally am very excited.

Jays
May 13, 2002, 02:37 PM
Maybe 10.1.5 will also be released tomorrow!

sgw
May 13, 2002, 02:48 PM
"Is just showing the new rack servers enough to justify a big todo?"

Come on, this is Steve Jobs we're talking about. The man lives for big media todos. Personally, I'm still hoping to see new iBooks as well, even thought the rack mounts are more than enough news.

Personally, I want to see a version of the Powerbook in the form factor of the IBM Thinkpad 570 (13.3" screen, 1" thick, around 4 pounds with maybe a G4 550...) but I'm not holding my breath ;)

imamacguy17
May 13, 2002, 03:13 PM
how long was the ipod introduction? there is no way there is going to be three hours for just this server i mean MWSF was only two hours and we got a slew of things. Tommorrow is big we will see some new things. im still crossing my fingers for a tablet machine.

Macmaniac
May 13, 2002, 03:17 PM
I hope what we see tomorrow is a preview of things to come at MWNY, maybe 1.5ghz! DROOL!

b8rtm8nn
May 13, 2002, 03:27 PM
I don't think the actual announcement is three hours, they probably have a conference room open and available after the initial announcement to look at the thing, show the reporters some demoes, a little Q&A, etc...

johnpaul191
May 13, 2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by b8rtm8nn
I don't think the actual announcement is three hours, they probably have a conference room open and available after the initial announcement to look at the thing, show the reporters some demoes, a little Q&A, etc...
yeah, the 3 hours made me think twice, but that's the invitation..... you figure there is an initial reception and whatnot. even so i am guess a lot of demo time or Q&A or something. 3 hours seems like it will be more than 1 up on a stage with Steve reading a spec sheet, then him running away without giving specific shipping dates.

pc_convert?
May 13, 2002, 03:59 PM
Maybe they will unveil some clustering software to go with servers for use with render farms etc.

nero007
May 13, 2002, 04:09 PM
I think tomorrow is going to be all server related so don't look for any other non-server related products.

Also, from what I hear you can expect new iBooks and Powermacs before July.

crassusad44
May 13, 2002, 04:39 PM
Nah. Only server stuff for tomorrow. Remember. Good ol' Stevie likes to brag about all the amazing stuff Apple has been doing, for like an hour or two. It's usually not before the last 15 minutes we get the exciting stuff.... And then maybe an "ah, one more thing".... :)

peterjhill
May 13, 2002, 05:56 PM
It is likely that there will be some Mac OS X Server stuff premiered also. How about a Mac Interface to Sendmail/ImapD. Then there is the headless Quartz, so you can run the thing without a monitor connected. Maybe tweaks to Remote Desktop so that you can control a nonexistant desktop (probably more a function of server than client.)

How about the server actually being able to do stuff with the Kerberos tickets it gets from an AD server. They said that jaguar would have some cool new AD stuff, the Server will need it sooner rather than later.

Kid Red
May 13, 2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by pc_convert?
Maybe they will unveil some clustering software to go with servers for use with render farms etc.

mmm, so maybe Gigawire is unveiled as well? Maybe it was intended for the servers first or instead of the desktops? Or is it officical that gigawire is firewire2?

pkradd
May 13, 2002, 06:00 PM
It will be at 9 AM Pacific Daylight (not Standard) Time. Also, the iPod intro at Cupertino was also listed at 3 hours so don't be disappointed if only the Rack Mount Server is introduced. The only other thing that could be announced would be speedbumps to the iBook.

peterjhill
May 13, 2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red

mmm, so maybe Gigawire is unveiled as well? Maybe it was intended for the servers first or instead of the desktops? Or is it officical that gigawire is firewire2?

For Beowulf Clusters, one would use Gig Ethernet, connected to switches. To connect a bunch of machines with firewire you would use a "firewire hub" that is a shared medium. That means that all the machines would contend for the Firewire chain.

An Ethernet switch can allow each machine to send and recieve at full speed, and not be bothered by traffic that is not intended for it (not counting Broadcasts and non-pruned multicast traffic)

lucs
May 13, 2002, 06:08 PM
I would think that its pretty obvious that May 14th is gonna be dedicated to servers, and servers alone. Speedbumps in the ibooks would not be appropriate...its is much more likely that they will be released in some random date or at MWNY.

i can't wait to see the rackmounts, that picture they had a while ago was so cool looking....and i also wonder if they will come with some kind of shelf system to keep several units together, or if you could just pile them up

peterjhill
May 13, 2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by lucs
and i also wonder if they will come with some kind of shelf system to keep several units together, or if you could just pile them up

you probably could pile them up, or you could use <drum roll> A Rack

JtheLemur
May 13, 2002, 06:35 PM
I assume not, but anybody know if there'll be a webcast for this tomorrow?

On that note, I was out of the office for the iPod introduction way back when - was there a webcast for that?

-- justin

G4scott
May 13, 2002, 06:40 PM
I just hope that these are going to be some kick @$$ servers. I just have one question... If they're rack servers, and require no monitor except for configuration, etc., do you think that Apple will also have a special display/keyboard/mouse unit to go with it? Kind of like a pull-out TiBook rack, except made from a cheaper metal, and maybe only with a regular 15" or 14" screen? I'm just wondering. It was brought to my mind, because I know that that's how some rack computers work. Or, you may just be able to put in a shelf and put a display on it. Either way... I just wondered if this new server would have any special accessories, like a seperate RAID array with hot-swappable drives, and the such... Anyways, we'll find out tomorrow.

MattB
May 13, 2002, 06:41 PM
Will TechTV pick up the conference?!?

G4scott
May 13, 2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill

you probably could pile them up, or you could use <drum roll> A Rack
<childish humor age=10>
hehe... he said rack...
</childish humor>

Interiority
May 13, 2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
I assume not, but anybody know if there'll be a webcast for this tomorrow?

On that note, I was out of the office for the iPod introduction way back when - was there a webcast for that?

-- justin

CNET usually show excerpts of these events, even if they are not webcast by Apple. I'm sure this was the case with the iPod launch, and certainly with last weeks WWDC keynote.

Q-bert
May 13, 2002, 07:45 PM
I think this event will probably be exactly what Apple says it is - the unveiling of new server hardware. I think it's very easy to go on for a few hours about server hardware, especially if you give the journalists some hands-on time, plus Q&A, etc. Anybody who's saying "it'd better be more" is just manufacturing unreasonable expectations out of thin air - Apple hasn't promised anything big, all they've done is invite the press to the event. Hell, even the invitation wording is understated - "Please join us for the unveiling of our new server," it says. How much more subdued than that can you get? This is definitely NOT hype on the level of MWSF or most other Apple events, since they know that server hardware appeals to a very small number of people.

blakespot
May 13, 2002, 10:59 PM
Someone sent this on to me. It could be an early shot of the new racks slated for release tomorrow. Only time will tell.

http://www.blakespot.com/images/rack.jpg

:-)

blakespot

3rdpath
May 14, 2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by blakespot
Someone sent this on to me. It could be an early shot of the new racks slated for release tomorrow. Only time will tell.

:-)

blakespot

now THAT looks like it could contain both G4 and G5 chips.....:D

less than 9 hours till....SHOWTIME. ( jazzhands for emphasis)

emdezet
May 14, 2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by blakespot

So the rack sports a 2" floppy drive and DAT?
Excellent! Who needs DVD-RW anyway? :D

Foocha
May 14, 2002, 02:44 AM
Hmm, a 6 processor G4 / G5 sounds pretty good to me - and worthy of a 3 hour presentation.

http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-05/2002c1-0513-server-1.phtml

sylko
May 14, 2002, 03:50 AM
http://membres.lycos.fr/oklys/hpbimg/apple_server.jpg

The Bender
May 14, 2002, 03:55 AM
The Bender wonders what PST is in GMT, so he can hang round the Mac sites and get a glimpse of the new baby at the earliest possible moment.

Uh, so it's -8... Dang, That means I don't get to see it until 8 pm, while Californians have already seen it at 9 am! No fair!

Or something.

Falleron
May 14, 2002, 03:57 AM
Take a look at this article

http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-05/2002c1-0513-server-1.phtml

What do you think?

The Bender
May 14, 2002, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Falleron
What do you think?

I laughed so hard my ears fell off.

sylko
May 14, 2002, 04:42 AM
But with the MPC8540 Motorola with e500 core RapidIO and OCeaN wowww

http://www.embedded.com/db_area/motorola2002/03moto05.html (www.embedded.com)

Ouroboros
May 14, 2002, 05:06 AM
Cmon folks. Go look at the AppleStore specs for their servers right now. Their servers top out at dual gig G4's. I really don't think that Steve and Co. will call the press and simply go: "Hey dudes check this out, we've got this nifty new case for what we've been offering up till now. We're gonna raise the price too!! Yeah, uh, nothing new inside, same crap, but LOOK at this CASE man!"

It's gonna contain at least a new motherboard, so I'm sure they aren't so stupid as to:

1. not include some form of new RAM
2. not include some form of better hard drive functionality

If they just squashed everthing into a rectangle resembling the front of a Mac Truck with screws on the ends, people would laugh their asses off at Apple. Somethin a bit interesting will be in those boxes that will be a better technology than what is in the top of the line Pro boxes now.

And that's OK with me ;)

Oh and you guys have good senses of humor, I like those mock-up pics!!!

peterjhill
May 14, 2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by emdezet

I think it will include a built in audio cassette tape drive for backing up your files (just like my old Ti 99/4A)

peterjhill
May 14, 2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
do you think that Apple will also have a special display/keyboard/mouse unit to go with it? Kind of like a pull-out TiBook rack

That would be interesting. Dell actually sells racks, and they are pretty sweet. It is an enclosed cabinet, and you can remove all four sides, and lock them (server security is very important to some people). They sell a 1RU keyboard, trackball, Flat screen thingy that you can pull out, plus you can buy a KVM switch (keyboard, video, mouse) that will allow you to control 16 servers with that pull out console. It also allows you to mount the KVM switch and a 1 RU Ethernet Switch vertically, so they don't take up any room in your rack.

Apple needs to find some company that is willing to slap on Apple's logo onto their rack. Well they don't need to, but it would be cool :-)

badika
May 14, 2002, 06:33 AM
I hope that all these side rumors of iBook updates coinciding with the server announcement could be a redesigned iBook for "enterprise" solutions where the bBook connects wirelessly or via gigabit to the new server. It would be a natural progression to add a server/laptop for office/enterprise users. This would make 3 very clear markets.

peterjhill
May 14, 2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by badika
the bBook connects wirelessly or via gigabit to the new server.

I agree that the ideal machine for the Enterprise is some type of laptop. The Tibook is a bit much to replace $1000 windows machines. I don't think that they should put gigabit ethernet in any other laptop right now. It is a selling point for the TiBook, and honestly, most people don't need gigabit ethernet (I am connected via gig to a large enterprise network with lots of gig in the core, and it doesn't make checking mail or surfing the web any faster -- oh yeah, we have a gig ethernet connection to our network service provider :-)

The 14" iBook is pretty welll situated for business users. It is fairly light, rugged, decent screen size. The next rev of it should be even more attractive. What will be key is Jaguar, where they say that they will have MS Exchange support and Dave like functions built in to the OS. Then they will have more to offer businesses who already have a large windows base.

Yeah, for the servers to take off, they do need to push on both sides of the client/server equation.

StealthRider
May 14, 2002, 07:00 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't apple's servers already faster than most peecee servers? Do we really need a whole new server just for the rackmount feature?

Foocha
May 14, 2002, 07:05 AM
PC servers are much faster than current Mac servers on a price for performance comparison - especially if you're not running Windows!

Let's hope that todays anouncements change all that.

peterjhill
May 14, 2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by StealthRider

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't apple's servers already faster than most peecee servers? Do we really need a whole new server just for the rackmount feature?

Apple would certainally want you to think that, but the fact is that a nice IBM or Dell server that you could buy for the same price as the Mac servers (not rack mount), if you put Linux or BSD on it would be way faster at httpd than a Mac server.

For someone that does not use servers, rack-mounting might not seem like a big deal, just stick the thing on a shelf, but when you have hundreds of servers (or some places have thousands), than rack mounting allows for much more efficient space usage.

I hadn't even thought of the one market that Apple could really step into with their new servers...

The Ultimate Web Server Farm Machine!

For a company that either hosts other servers, or needs alot of servers of their own, the Apple Rack could be a great thing. Here you have a well supported OS. Add some good same day/next day onsite hardware support options, and they could really sell the thing. I am not sure if they do it already, but they would need to have multihoming on the same NIC, and allow Apache to run separate sites off of each IP. That way someone could host multiple sites on one mac.

I haven't played with server since version 1.0 of the OSX server, can you do that with the new software?

blakespot
May 14, 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by emdezet

I think those are actually cube (holographic memory) bays.

blakespot

mmmdreg
May 14, 2002, 08:50 AM
Hey everyone..what would the server release time be in Sydney?

eric_n_dfw
May 14, 2002, 09:35 AM
A few people, on more than just this thread, keep asking, "When is xx:xx time in my country/state/province".

A simple google search for "time zone calculator" turned this up as the first response:
http://www.web-search.com/timezone.html

Next time, try using the internet - it's fun, educational and tasty too! :rolleyes: