PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Remote

maverick808
Jul 10, 2008, 09:03 AM
Has anybody got the iTunes remote to work? It asks me to put the passcode into iTunes but after I do it just waits and waits and never seems to accept it.

philgilder
Jul 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
try setting your firewall to allow itunes full access to the internet/network on your mac/pc

maverick808
Jul 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
Doesn't work, even with the firewall totally off.

ylnick413
Jul 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
maybe you need to use port forwarding?

i know there is documentation somewhere on the iTunes Remote.

maverick808
Jul 10, 2008, 09:40 AM
maybe you need to use port forwarding?

i know there is documentation somewhere on the iTunes Remote.

You don't need port forwarding within the local network. iTunes discovers the remote anyway, but once you put the passcode in it just seems to lock up.

philgilder
Jul 10, 2008, 09:52 AM
You don't need port forwarding within the local network. iTunes discovers the remote anyway, but once you put the passcode in it just seems to lock up.
what locks up? itunes or iphone?

dalcorn1
Jul 10, 2008, 09:54 AM
by the way, this app is brilliant, dont think there's any lag at all

Hopstretch
Jul 10, 2008, 10:10 AM
Similar problem here. iTunes detects Remote and accepts passcode, but Remote then searches for a while and says it can't find my music library. Any thoughts?

jdstoddard
Jul 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
Okay, so I did some looking into this because I had the same problem. I checked the Firewall logs and it was denying access from my iphone. Here is what you need to do:

1. Enable Sharing on iTunes
2. Go to Firewall (In Security on System Prefs)
3. There are 3 radio buttons, select the 3rd one
4. Below the box, click the + icon, a window will appear. Select iTunes, it will default to Allow Incoming Connections.

This made it work on mine!

Hopstretch
Jul 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
Thank you! That worked like a charm. Go Sox.

I assume that Firewall is still blocking all other incoming connections?

philgilder
Jul 10, 2008, 10:45 AM
Thank you! That worked like a charm. Go Sox.

I assume that Firewall is still blocking all other incoming connections?
as long as it is set to "set access for specific services and applications" then yes

akm3
Jul 10, 2008, 10:54 AM
Can it control front row ?

Hopstretch
Jul 10, 2008, 01:15 PM
New wrinkle. Every time iTunes restarts it requires authentication to accept incoming connections, even if you have set it to do so in Preferences.

:confused:

emdubb
Jul 10, 2008, 01:21 PM
It just plain isn't working for me. Here's the rub: I'm using an Ad-Hoc network. I don't have WiFi here in the office so I created a network with my Macbook and connected with the iPhone. When I bring the Remote.app up iTunes recognizes it and asks for the passcode. I type it in and iTunes just sits there on "Verifying Remote Passcode" until it finally gives up and clears out the passcode fields. I can try again but it keeps hanging there. Restarting iTunes didn't do anything, nor did restarting my iPhone. I tried the firewall trick listed above, still no joy.

I just wanna play with the new shinies! Wah!

eswank
Jul 10, 2008, 01:30 PM
I can't even get the passcode screen to come up on my iMac. Does it matter if I'm using a G5?

Greg
Jul 10, 2008, 01:53 PM
I get the Passcode on the phone but I see no place to type it in in iTunes. I did all the suggested stuff. Any suggestions?

marksman
Jul 10, 2008, 01:56 PM
I get the Passcode on the phone but I see no place to type it in in iTunes. I did all the suggested stuff. Any suggestions?

It should just automatically show up in iTunes.

When i did it, I accessed it on the phone ,it showed me the PIN, I flipped back to iTunes and the screen to input the pin was already there.

Edinburger
Jul 10, 2008, 01:57 PM
I can't even get the passcode screen to come up on my iMac. Does it matter if I'm using a G5?

I'm having the same problem. The iPhone doesn't show up in the devices list when it's disconnected from iTunes. Very frustrating as this looks like a very cool app!!

DaveGee
Jul 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Can anyone tell me if the iTunes Remote App provides a cover-view mode? I'd assume yes (cause its so cool) but I could see issues with its viability since the covers would have to be sent in-mass (or otherwise) to the iPhone or iPod Touch.

Anyone know for sure?!?!

Dave

eddi818
Jul 10, 2008, 02:40 PM
It just plain isn't working for me. Here's the rub: I'm using an Ad-Hoc network. I don't have WiFi here in the office so I created a network with my Macbook and connected with the iPhone. When I bring the Remote.app up iTunes recognizes it and asks for the passcode. I type it in and iTunes just sits there on "Verifying Remote Passcode" until it finally gives up and clears out the passcode fields. I can try again but it keeps hanging there. Restarting iTunes didn't do anything, nor did restarting my iPhone. I tried the firewall trick listed above, still no joy.

I just wanna play with the new shinies! Wah!

having the exact same problem, tried everything and still can't get it to sync up.

ebrunn
Jul 10, 2008, 02:50 PM
Can anyone tell me if the iTunes Remote App provides a cover-view mode? I'd assume yes (cause its so cool) but I could see issues with its viability since the covers would have to be sent in-mass (or otherwise) to the iPhone or iPod Touch.

Anyone know for sure?!?!

Dave

No coverflow:(

Still a damn nice app though. No lag at all.

DaveGee
Jul 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
No coverflow:( Still a damn nice app though. No lag at all.

Kinda had that feeling in the back of my head... too much image data to pass over the network for it to be realistic (at least for a 1.0 version)... Maybe with some luck Apple will find some kind of acceptable workaround.

Dave

Fibbons
Jul 10, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm having the same problem. The iPhone doesn't show up in the devices list when it's disconnected from iTunes. Very frustrating as this looks like a very cool app!!

I'm having the same problem. The iPhone gives me the passcode but nothing shows up on iTunes. Has anyone had this happen and figured out how to fix it?

Thankyou

Edinburger
Jul 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
I'm having the same problem. The iPhone gives me the passcode but nothing shows up on iTunes. Has anyone had this happen and figured out how to fix it?

Thankyou

Not yet but it's early days... bound to be resolved sooner rather than later! Maybe when I get the 3G tomorrow there will be a fix!!

HomerJ69
Jul 10, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have the same problem also. iTunes just wont see my iPhone at all. My iphone gives me the passcode but iTunes just sits there and does nothing. I've tried turning off the OSX firewall, turned off NetBarrier, making sure sharing is turned on in iTunes and still nothing!

So any ideas would be really good

fdot
Jul 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
yes i am having the problem where itunes on my powermac lets me insert the code and then nothing happens....
on my mba on the other hand, it doesnt show up in itunes

pranavss11
Jul 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
itunes dosen't detect it for me either!!!!

fdot
Jul 10, 2008, 05:47 PM
i am trying a dfu... lets see

fdot
Jul 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
nothing yet

pranavss11
Jul 10, 2008, 06:28 PM
I have finally figured it out. Since I was in school, I was connected to school WIFI, so there might be too many itunes open for it to find yours. It relies totally on the wifi connection and finds itunes. So, most likely that it only will work at home.

-my 2c

fdot
Jul 10, 2008, 06:29 PM
no, im home...

akm3
Jul 10, 2008, 06:35 PM
So... DOES IT WORK WITH FRONT ROW? :)

I am having an impossible time finding this out, and I can't browse the iTunes store at work, and I have an iPod touch so I don't have 2.0 yet.

Can someone please tell me?

pranavss11
Jul 10, 2008, 06:36 PM
2 itunes at home. Turn powermac off and try on air.

fdot
Jul 10, 2008, 06:42 PM
ok this is what my remote app is doing
http://i37.tinypic.com/9bhhk7.jpg

pranavss11
Jul 10, 2008, 06:46 PM
ok this is what my remote app is doing
http://i37.tinypic.com/9bhhk7.jpg

Did you turn sharing library on in itunes? Also unblock itunes from firewall?

pranavss11
Jul 10, 2008, 06:48 PM
Also, I have stay connected on.

friedgold
Jul 10, 2008, 06:52 PM
so i installed the remote application on my iphone, works wonderfully and its awesome to be able to control my itunes music from anywhere in the house.

thing is, if i leave the phone idle, or do other things with it, it disconnects from itunes, and when i go back into the remote app and try to reconnect, it cant find my library. the only way i can reconnect is to disconnect from the network, and reconnect to find the library. is anyone else having this issue, or know of a fix?

pranavss11
Jul 10, 2008, 06:56 PM
so i installed the remote application on my iphone, works wonderfully and its awesome to be able to control my itunes music from anywhere in the house.

thing is, if i leave the phone idle, or do other things with it, it disconnects from itunes, and when i go back into the remote app and try to reconnect, it cant find my library. the only way i can reconnect is to disconnect from the network, and reconnect to find the library. is anyone else having this issue, or know of a fix?

Stay Connected on? My phone goes idle and locks itself I go back in and it still works.

friedgold
Jul 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
Stay Connected on? My phone goes idle and locks itself I go back in and it still works.

yeah, i leave stay connected on and it still can't find the library after about 5 or 10 minutes.

fdot
Jul 10, 2008, 07:01 PM
i shut both comps down.. . tried everything.. always on/... sharing is on.... how come it doesnt detect on my appletv

arykmax
Jul 10, 2008, 07:27 PM
Devices list will still not show up so nowhere to enter passcode. I have checked all of the settings. Restarted. Reinstalled. I don't know what else to do. This is maddening. I was really looking forward to this app and of course the remote support link goes to a "page not found" message. Has anyone else with this problem found a way around it yet?

pranavss11
Jul 10, 2008, 07:32 PM
Devices list will still not show up so nowhere to enter passcode. I have checked all of the settings. Restarted. Reinstalled. I don't know what else to do. This is maddening. I was really looking forward to this app and of course the remote support link goes to a "page not found" message. Has anyone else with this problem found a way around it yet?
I was having this problem when I was in school. when I came back home it works..

arykmax
Jul 10, 2008, 07:33 PM
I've only been trying it at home. No luck so far.

Mitch1984
Jul 10, 2008, 07:35 PM
No coverflow:(

Still a damn nice app though. No lag at all.

I get Coverflow.

macdaddy23
Jul 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
Everyone with connection problems, I found that if your connected via Ethernet, it should start working.. oddly enough that's what fixed it for me, however I hope a near update fixes this.

fdot
Jul 11, 2008, 02:10 PM
i did no try that, im on the phone with apple support right now i am having all types of wireless network porblems

McGoogles
Jul 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
I was having trouble getting iTunes to accept the code I entered. It kept thinking it was invalid. If this is happening to you, and you're sharing your iTunes machine's network connection over Airport, read below.

My network is primarily wired ethernet, but I had this iTunes machine sharing its ethernet port over Airport. My iPod could connect to this machine through this shared network, and appeared as a device in iTunes to verify, but the code was never accepted.

To fix this, I turned off the airport sharing on the iTunes machine and shared the ethernet connection of another machine (machine #2) over Airport. I also disabled the ethernet connection on the iTunes machine and made it connect to the shared Airport network on machine #2.

On my ipod, I connected to the wireless network for machine #2 and ran the Remote app. It appeared in the devices for iTunes on my iTunes machine and the code was accepted.

I then shut down the airport sharing on machine #2, restored my ethernet network settings and shared network on the iTunes machine, and had my ipod connect back to the shared network on that machine. The remote works flawlessly now.

There may be a simpler approach, but this worked for me. Apparently, the code verification part doesn't work well if the iTunes machine is sharing its network over Airport. However, the remote functions fine with that setup once the remote has been verified.

Dave

*** UPDATE ***
It turns out that simply disabling Ethernet access (setting Ethernet to "off" on the iTunes machine) works as well and is much simpler. Leave the shared airport connection up when you do that and re-enable ethernet access afterward the code verification completes.

Silverbird0000
Jul 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
My problem was this: I have two networks. One that is N for the MBP and MB, and a G network for the iPhones. It is a time capsule and an airport express. I don't know why, but iTunes see's the remote speakers connected to the airport express even though I am connected to the time capsule, but it won't see the iPhone remote. The airport express is connected to the time capsule via ethernet. I have to switch my computer over the the G network on the express for the iPhone remote to work. That is really annoying! Everything else works while connected to the N network. The printer and speakers that are connected to the express work while i'm connected to the time capsule. Anyone have any answers??

pooryou
Jul 11, 2008, 04:53 PM
This app is really great and useful, but I have noticed that it can corrupt your ID tags if you have special characters in an artist name, such as Lindstrøm, or Fantômas. I'm not sure why it is changing the tags at all, but it's kind of crazy that you can be messing up your library by using this, I hope they fix it soon.

pooryou
Jul 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
Anyone know where I should report this bug to Apple?

plaestation
Jul 11, 2008, 07:51 PM
guys with issues getting the iphone/ipod remote to be recognized in itunes: DISABLE YOUR FIREWALL

this solved my problem! i only needed to disable it to enter the security passcode.

hope this helps!

pooryou
Jul 11, 2008, 09:17 PM
This app is really great and useful, but I have noticed that it can corrupt your ID tags if you have special characters in an artist name, such as Lindstrøm, or Fantômas. I'm not sure why it is changing the tags at all, but it's kind of crazy that you can be messing up your library by using this, I hope they fix it soon.

I assumed this was caused by iTunes Remote but it may just be a bug in iTunes 7.7.

McGoogles
Jul 11, 2008, 09:56 PM
My firewall wasn't enabled. There seem to be a variety of problems surrounding this. Sure is great when it works, though.

I did notice that even when it's working it can sometimes miss volume changed events, but overall it kicks butt. Especially since netTunes is still broken by Leopard, and the Apple TV remote is a cheap piece of junk.

:eek:

sixty9m3
Jul 12, 2008, 12:47 AM
so i'm completely lost on how to get this app to work. so i dl'd the app to my phone and i launched it on my phone and selected "add library" and i get the passcode. the problem is i have no where to put the passcode. nothing changes on my itunes so iono what's going on.

i have my firewall off and both the computer and phone are on the same wireless network. any advice?

rabiulhuq
Jul 12, 2008, 03:13 AM
Hi there...i was having issues with this and it was doing my head in. Basically i could see my iphone under devices in itunes, but upon entering the passcode itunes just sat there and did nothing.

What i did to solve it was create an adhoc wireless network on my mac, then connect to this network from the iphone and repeat the whole passcode process. That seemed to work.

I then reverted back to my proper wifi network on both mac and iphone and everything is still working fine.

1world
Jul 12, 2008, 03:48 AM
Hi all,

I had the same problem. The passkey was accepted but Remote on iPod Touch was searching endlessly for my music library - UNTIL I turned on AirPort on my iMac and logged in to my network through WiFi !!!

Might be that I've originally set up sharing my music before I connected my iMac through Ethernet and somehow the initial settings for connection trough WiFi is still there causing a conflict.

I haven't figured out how to connect through Ethernet yet.

macfilm
Jul 12, 2008, 05:39 AM
Mine worked fine first time and had no probs :)

BUT, now when I'm playing something and I want to skip through the track by tapping the screen it no longer shows me my scrubber bar to go to another part of the song :(

(from UK)

fixItuneRmote
Jul 12, 2008, 06:56 AM
*******PASSCODE FIX FOR IPOD REMOTE******I borrowed next doors wifi and connected my mac to it and my ipod, the passcode went through straight away connected everything back to my network and now the remote works

ayzee
Jul 12, 2008, 07:23 AM
At first iTunes wouldnt even detect it at all. So I removed my ethernet connection to my router and connected my PC wirelessly to the Router. Now iTunes detects my iPhone. But when I enter the passcode it just says verifying passcode...then nothing!

Im a PC user BTW

marcochp89
Jul 12, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hello!!! I'm new, I'v been reading this site since thursday wan decided to fully participate.
I have a problem with this app, I've already disabled the firewall and manage to get iTunes recognize my iPod, however the iPod seem unable to find my music library. Any suggestions?
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/bauerchp89/photo1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/bauerchp89/photo2.jpg

ctakim
Jul 12, 2008, 08:49 AM
This is a great application. It synched with iTunes on my iMac like a charm and provides great control.

Metsfan7450
Jul 12, 2008, 12:13 PM
Okay, so I did some looking into this because I had the same problem. I checked the Firewall logs and it was denying access from my iphone. Here is what you need to do:

4. Below the box, click the + icon, a window will appear. Select iTunes, it will default to Allow Incoming Connections.

Step 1 is compelte but where do you go to for system pref (security)...itunes menu, touch menu?

Big Bad D
Jul 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
I had the same problem that others have described where the passkey was accepted but then Remote could not find my iTunes library. I have Intego NetBarrier X installed and this requires changing the firewall settings from Client Only to Client, Local Server to allow incoming access.

Jiddick ExRex
Jul 12, 2008, 01:43 PM
New wrinkle. Every time iTunes restarts it requires authentication to accept incoming connections, even if you have set it to do so in Preferences.

:confused:

This is a bug with Leopard rather than with Remote itself. You can check 'allow' as many times you want, it still asks for permission every time you relaunch the program. Really terrible.

tip
Jul 12, 2008, 02:33 PM
There's two things to keep in mind here with this app:

1) When doing the pairing, notice that you never specify the IP address/hostname of your iTunes-enabled computer. As such, I'm guessing it's sending out broadcasts. So, you probably need to be on the same network segment. (I haven't confirmed this - I'm too lazy to un-pair and re-pair).

2) To actually get a remote session working (once you've paired), you need to allow inbound 3689/tcp to your iTuned-enabled computer. You can do this by allowing inbound connections to iTunes (via firewall preferences), or just allow inbound 3689/tcp (if you're managing ipfw rules manually).

brasknucs
Jul 12, 2008, 02:39 PM
No issues here at all. Synced it to my iTunes & my AppleTV.

I LOVE it with AppleTV!!

enigmatut
Jul 12, 2008, 02:43 PM
I feel badly for everyone having issues with this app because it is arguably the BEST new app for the iPhone (and iPod Touch). I hope no one becomes too discouraged by the obstacles they've encountered, because once you get this thing working I guarantee you'll love it.

davidrules04
Jul 12, 2008, 03:52 PM
I get Coverflow.

how did you get coverflow on your remote? Most are just list format and have album art when playing.

doteyes9
Jul 12, 2008, 04:32 PM
I happen to have 2 routers (IDK why its just the way it's setup) and I use one as a router and one as a switch. The switch has wifi on it and both my iPod and MacBook connect to it but iTunes never sees the iPod. I'm just lost here. They need to release an update to fix this issue.

eddx
Jul 12, 2008, 04:36 PM
It took me over 36 hours to figure it out but it finally works!!!

My MacbookPro connects via WiFi to my Belkin router. I disabled firewall on both my network and mac. Setup the Remote App on the iPhone. Plugged in the iPhone. Entered the four digital code to the page in iTunes. It connected instantly. Then I put my firewalls back up. The one on my Mac has iTunes as an essential service.

All works - I can't believe how great this is. One day when I have a big flat screen tv and AppleTV I will probably buy a second hand 8gb iPod Touch on eBay just to use that with this remote software. I love it!!!

juanster
Jul 12, 2008, 04:40 PM
i really can t wait to get this app, im just waiting on a 2.0 jailbreak or something so i can use it here in Canada with my 1st gen iPhone

dangleheart
Jul 12, 2008, 05:06 PM
There's two things to keep in mind here with this app:

1) When doing the pairing, notice that you never specify the IP address/hostname of your iTunes-enabled computer. As such, I'm guessing it's sending out broadcasts. So, you probably need to be on the same network segment. (I haven't confirmed this - I'm too lazy to un-pair and re-pair).

2) To actually get a remote session working (once you've paired), you need to allow inbound 3689/tcp to your iTuned-enabled computer. You can do this by allowing inbound connections to iTunes (via firewall preferences), or just allow inbound 3689/tcp (if you're managing ipfw rules manually).

Tip, I agree. That is the root cause of many of these problems. There is a TTL parameter in the broadcast message. That indicates whether routers should pass on the broadcast message or not. It is probably set such that it only works when iTunes and iPhone are on the same subnet.

dangleheart
Jul 12, 2008, 05:13 PM
It is working well for me and it is quite awesome. I am always close to the iTunes machine, it is so far just a novelty for me. What are the real world uses for this?

1) You lying in bed listening to your iTunes library and you do not have to get up to shut it off.

2) Your iTunes library is upstairs and you somehow have speakers downstairs and you can control iTunes from anywhere in the house.

3) I can see it being very useful with AppleTv.

4) I do not understand people trying this from School. Are you trying to control iTunes at home from school? What does that do? ( I probably misunderstood this ).

5) It will be great if the scenario is this. I have some music or video on my iPhone. As I get in the house, with a little flip of a switch I want what is on the iPhone to switch to my TV or to my audio system. And then as I walk out, I want the media play back to my iPhone. Is this set up to do something like that.

Beyond this, I am out. Please share your scenarios on using this.

juanster
Jul 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
1,2,3 are what i would be using it for and i think thats pretty awesome, 4,, hmm i dunno about that i dont see the point, 5 well taht d be pretty cool to do no?

razorianfly
Jul 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
CHECK YOUR NETWORK

It may sound stupid, but my imac was automatically connected to my neighbors un-secure wireless network, and my iPhone was connected to my secure internal wifi network. Because it couldn't find a connection between the two devices (a gateway, if you like), my iPhone wouldn't show as a remote in iTunes.

I changed both my iMac and iPhone to connect through my internal secure wifi network, and my iPhone popped up under 'remotes' in iTunes.

R-Fly

mitts2010
Jul 12, 2008, 05:48 PM
If iTunes won't recognize your iPod/iPhone, and you have made sure it is on the same network as your computer, and you enabled incoming connections. Make sure that you have Apple's Bonjour service enabled. It is what caused the problem for me.

koshper
Jul 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
followed the firewall instructions and worked flawlessly!

great app

greenmymac
Jul 12, 2008, 06:05 PM
followed the firewall instructions and worked flawlessly!

great app

Love this app can't wait to use it on my Apple TV

ipedro
Jul 12, 2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post that. This is a fantastic app. It worked "right out of the box" the first time and then I got that never ending "Can't connect to Library" message. It works again. :)

jonathanmc07
Jul 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
earlier this afternoon, i got the remote working on at my mom's house when i was the only one on the network. then i get to my dads and me and my brother are using our computers on the same wifi network. in this case, the remote app wasn't working at all. no matter what other trick i tried.

so i asked him to turn off his wifi for a minute or two and the remote paired and i had full access to my computer's itunes from my ipod.

so, theres some kind of bug that makes it not work when theres more than 1 itunes 7.x on the same network...

Priest
Jul 12, 2008, 10:24 PM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4962/noremotenk3.png
:(

Anyone know whats up with that?
I've tried redownloading itunes but i just can't get it to appear :(

btburnett3
Jul 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
I was having trouble getting my Remote to sync with my computer, it was hanging up on the connection step. Firewall settings never would fix it, finally determined the problem was my wireless router. It was running dd-wrt and when i disabled the WMM (wireless multimedia) system that is supposed to improve wireless media streaming the problem went away.

Scarpad
Jul 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
Will this not work to control Content if streamed. I Don't keep anything on the ATV and thats exactly what's Showing, Nothing.

fdot
Jul 12, 2008, 11:40 PM
i got it to work by completly resseting my network.. unplugged it left it off and plugged things in one at a time

McGoogles
Jul 13, 2008, 12:26 AM
It is working well for me and it is quite awesome. I am always close to the iTunes machine, it is so far just a novelty for me. What are the real world uses for this?

I have a headless Mac Mini that has a shared iTunes library on it connected to my stereo. That stereo is wired to play through all the rooms in my house. So, for me, it gives me a wireless way to control the music from wherever I happen to be. In the past, I had to connect to the machine with Apple Remote Desktop from my laptop, which wasn't nearly as convenient.

- Dave

LeahM
Jul 13, 2008, 01:13 AM
Question: How do you add apps to your ipod touch? I have it on my computer but I can't just drag it onto my ipod. Any help? Is there a way to add it without using the syncing everything (I have it set to manually manage my information/stuff)

ssj2goha
Jul 13, 2008, 01:59 AM
I have asked this in other threads maybe here some one will know.....
With control.app can you change audio or subtitles on the AppleTv?

I don't have the extra cash to update my ipod touch just yet so I'm just wondering......

trashmac
Jul 13, 2008, 03:59 AM
Has anyone managed to get this working on an MBA.

I noticed earlier on in the thread that someone said they could not get itunes to recognise the remote app on thier MBA but it worked fine with another MAc they had.

I have the same problem on my MBA so I was wondering if maybe their is something quirky going on on the MBA.

Really frustrating this - I managed to get itunes to recognise the remote app by setting up an ad-hoc network but that does not help me as my itunes content is actually accessed wirelessly (due to the lack of connectivity options on the MBA).

Hope their is a solution/more reliable version soon...

rdowns
Jul 13, 2008, 04:56 AM
What an amazing little app. Worked like a charm for me after entering the code. Had friends over and they were amazed that I was controlling my iMac that was 2 floors up in my loft with my iPhone as the iMac was streaming music to my stereo system 2 floors down in the living room. No lag at all running on wireless B network.

Alan Taylor
Jul 13, 2008, 05:33 AM
earlier this afternoon, i got the remote working on at my mom's house when i was the only one on the network. then i get to my dads and me and my brother are using our computers on the same wifi network. in this case, the remote app wasn't working at all. no matter what other trick i tried.

so i asked him to turn off his wifi for a minute or two and the remote paired and i had full access to my computer's itunes from my ipod.

so, theres some kind of bug that makes it not work when theres more than 1 itunes 7.x on the same network...

Ahhhh, maybe it gets confused as to which one it should talk to...

mrl72
Jul 13, 2008, 07:58 AM
Was at a friends house last night and we had both of our iphones controlling his apple-tv. Very nice indeed!! What made it so good was his apple-tv was hooked to all of the speakers around his house, so we were sat outside by his pool drinking beer and taking turns in being "DJ" and selecting the tracks. I can see how hosting parties etc. this could be great as you can just pull the phone out of your pocket anywhere in the house and select the next track.

Missing from this release, hopefully in the next:

1. On the go track selection.
2. Cover flow.
3. Volume for Apple-Tv.

BTW, to resolve the volume issue we were able to pair the phone with the itunes library on a laptop, then sync the itunes on the laptop with Apple-Tv. Now volume works but you are then limited to music selection, movies etc. are not streamed to apple-tv from itunes for some reason.

Anyone get this working with Airport express and Airtunes? Would be interesting to see how that worked..

cuanurse
Jul 13, 2008, 01:36 PM

Thankyou

For me once the passcode comes up- in itunes underneath where it says "ipod" there is "ipod remote" and that is where you can enter the numbers.

It still says it can't find my library and I did the firewall fix- help!

xerenthar
Jul 13, 2008, 03:20 PM
Bonjour enabled.
iTunes 7.7.
Router firewall and software firewall totally off.

Nothing in "Devices."

cuanurse
Jul 13, 2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks I had already done that and just couldn't get it. It was as simple as restarting itunes AND ipod. I didn't think I would need to restart ipod but I did and it worked :) YEAH!!!! What an awesome app!

fishgut11
Jul 13, 2008, 03:55 PM
this may of been asked, but im wondering if there is a way to use the remote with out having to use the wi-fi becuase in like a month i wont have access to wi-fi...stupid college....but how do u set it up for just the macbook and the remote

Socom
Jul 13, 2008, 05:07 PM
This is all so frustrating. I can get it to pair, if I delete it all and start fresh, then I can use it, but as soon as I close Remote Play and go to open it again, it can no longer find my Library. Only way to do it is remove it all and do it again, anyone have any ideas? (obviously they see each other since the first time it always works)

sirjorj
Jul 13, 2008, 05:11 PM
Ok, score one more for "just shut down the entire network for a bit and then power it up again".

I had been fighting with the remote app for a while and all indications said it should work: firewall open, bonjour running, etc.

My network isn't too complex:
[Cable Modem] -> [old Delleron running pfSense (router)] -> [Switch]
[Switch] goes to all my computers as well as a Netgear WG302 access point.

What I found was this:
1) If I would directly connect the iPod Touch to my MacBook via ad-hoc wifi, it worked (but who wants to do this?)
2) If I have the iPod Touch and the MacBook both on WiFi, the Device would not even show up in iTunes when I was supposed to enter the number.
3) If I have the MacBook connected via ethernet and iPod Touch on WiFi, I can enter the number, iTunes says I'm good to go, but the iPod would not be able to connect to the library. Once in a while, I would get the name of the library, but never anything beyond that.

I reset the whole network (modem, router, wifi, switch) just for the heck of it (honestly, i wasnt expecting a difference) and much to my surprise, it works now!

just my 2 cents

jorj

Slumbercub
Jul 13, 2008, 05:17 PM
I can't get it to work at all. Therefore it is the worst app ever. :(

cocky jeremy
Jul 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
It should just automatically show up in iTunes.

When i did it, I accessed it on the phone ,it showed me the PIN, I flipped back to iTunes and the screen to input the pin was already there.

Same here. Works perfectly for me.

Socom
Jul 13, 2008, 06:19 PM
Ok, score one more for "just shut down the entire network for a bit and then power it up again".

I reset the whole network (modem, router, wifi, switch) just for the heck of it (honestly, i wasnt expecting a difference) and much to my surprise, it works now!

jorj

I did the same thing, it all came up, however, if I close the app while listening to it (to do anything else) then go back and reopen Remote Play, it doesnt work again.

sirjorj
Jul 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
Bummer. I have tried it a few times since then and it has worked every time.

jorj

McGoogles
Jul 13, 2008, 11:14 PM
this may of been asked, but im wondering if there is a way to use the remote with out having to use the wi-fi becuase in like a month i wont have access to wi-fi...stupid college....but how do u set it up for just the macbook and the remote

The MacBook has built-in WIFI. Turn on Airport, then go to Sharing and share your Internet connection. Connect to that network with the remote.

Mishilon
Jul 14, 2008, 10:44 AM

I had been fighting with the remote app for a while and all indications said it should work: firewall open, bonjour running, etc.

My network isn't too complex:
[Cable Modem] -> [old Delleron running pfSense (router)] -> [Switch]
[Switch] goes to all my computers as well as a Netgear WG302 access point.

What I found was this:
1) If I would directly connect the iPod Touch to my MacBook via ad-hoc wifi, it worked (but who wants to do this?)
2) If I have the iPod Touch and the MacBook both on WiFi, the Device would not even show up in iTunes when I was supposed to enter the number.
3) If I have the MacBook connected via ethernet and iPod Touch on WiFi, I can enter the number, iTunes says I'm good to go, but the iPod would not be able to connect to the library. Once in a while, I would get the name of the library, but never anything beyond that.

just my 2 cents

jorj

i just tried this and it actually worked, i cant believe it actually did. so i would recommend this is the first step everyone who's having trouble tries. thanks a lot, id just about given up on the remote app. its amazing have a remote for itunes.

sixty9m3
Jul 14, 2008, 10:27 PM
does anyone know how to/if you can disable the firewall on a netgear wgt624 router? i can't get remote to work at all because of this and it seems as if it's not possible at all. thanks for any help

blackmondo
Jul 15, 2008, 12:33 AM
iTunes wouldn't show the passcode initially when I first tried this either. All I needed to do was to Quit iTunes and reopen it, and the little remote app icon then appeared under devices.

I also have this exact problem with my AppleTV - iTunes doesn't see it, but then I quit and reopen and it appears under devices. I'm quite used to it now!

It's a superb app anyway - there are a few reasons for me:

* I can play songs through my AppleTV easily without my LCD TV switched on, which is relatively low power usage compared to running a G5 and a 40inch LCD to do the same thing!

* I have my iPhone docked at my computer desk, so it acts as a decent little iTunes controller with a dedicated screen for album art. Even better is the fact that it's a fairly passive app - it doesn't HAVE to be running all the time, and I can still easily control iTunes normally. Well I say it's "passive" but not entirely - another great thing is the "stay connected" feature, which causes album art, play/pause status etc, to update as you control iTunes on the computer.

* aaaand I just discovered something else! I can send the same music to BOTH the AppleTV AND my computer at the same time with the speakers feature. That's just awesome! I wanted to be able to do that at my 30th birthday party only 2 weeks ago. Has iTunes been able to do that for a while? If so, then I'm an idiot....

I agree with another poster here about needing volume control on the AppleTV - that's the most glaring missing feature for me so far.

Another thing I'd like is to be able to have the iPhone ignore the "auto-lock" setting when remote app is running. Can't see me needing auto-lock when I'm using the phone as a remote at home, but it's a (minor) pain to unlock when I want to change a song :P

Peabody98765432
Jul 19, 2008, 02:39 AM
I figured it out:
Remove the app.
Go outside and cut a branch off a tree.
Use the branch to press buttons on your Mac from far away.

But seriously, it just spins after I enter the passcode. I've turned off the firewall. I have nothing but wireless where I live. As for setting up an ad-hoc network on my Mac and the other workarounds I've seen here and tried...sure, maybe they do work eventually, but having to do all that makes this a poor program.

webcreationuk
Jul 20, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hi All

I dont usuallt write reply's once i have found the solution but as per another post on here, simply reseting my router (pull plug out for 10 secs and plug back in) really did work!

Loaded itunes again and the passcode was accepted instantly.

So this will at least fix those who's itunes wont accept the passcode.

Cheers!

Leon

Slip Jigs
Jul 20, 2008, 10:06 AM
I had the same problem - iTunes would see the phone, let me enter the passcode but still the phone still would not see any library.

It was defineatly a firewall issue. I use Trend Microcillin on a PC, and it has presets for its firewall. It was set to direct connection, I changed it to network. I don't know what that did regarding ports and programs, but it worked right away.

Also, from past experience, simply disabling a firewall doesn't always work. I don't know why, but it has to be configured to the particualr program that needs access.

conebbs
Jul 20, 2008, 12:31 PM
try setting your firewall to allow itunes full access to the internet/network on your mac/pc

This worked for me right away.

Thanks.

Jager1726
Jul 20, 2008, 11:37 PM

Do you mean the Firewall settings in Control Panel in Windows? What are the three radio buttons you are referring to (What are they labeled and what menu are the under?)? I couldn't find them. I use McAfee's firewall anyway, but I'll consider turning it off and using the Windows Firewall if I can get your way to work.

Here is my full problem. It's gonna be long, but in case I'm missing something hidden in the details I want to be as specific as possible.

From day 1, this app did not work for me - when I tried to enter the passcode in iTunes, the iPhone simply never showed up under devices. I gave up for a couple of days and then decided to give it another shot for no particular reason, and miraculously it appeared, accepted the passcode and the app worked. When I shut down and later came back, the iPhone no longer appeared in devices, but it could still find and control my library so I figured everything was good.

The next time I tried to use it, however, it couldn't find my library. I looked around at a few forums and discovered it might be related to the firewall, so I tried disabling the firewall entirely. At first, that still didn't work, but then I thought I should restart. When my laptop booted up again, the app was able to find and control iTunes again. I even re-enabled my firewall and it still worked so I thought all was well with the world again. However, after leaving and coming back yet again, it's not working, even when I disable my firewall (though I haven't tried restarting again yet). I have also checked that iTunes is allowed full access for inbound and outbound connections in my firewall settings even when it's enabled.

So that's the situation. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? The few moments when it has worked, the app was awesome and I'd really like to be able to use it consistently without shutting down my firewall permanently. The most frustrating thing about this is how it keeps coming and going...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just reset my router and it started working again (with no other adjustment to my computer or iPhone). Weird. We'll see how long this lasts.

andy007
Jul 21, 2008, 02:50 AM
Finally got the remote to work by simply unpluging my router for a couple of minutes. After this it appeared straight away in iTunes under devices and just entered the code in and it was all working.

I had all the firewalls up and just made sure iTunes was allowed to accept incoming connections, which has been discussed earlier.

Also there is a setting in iTunes under Prefrences>Advanced, where you can tick a box to allow iPhones/iPod Touches to act as a remote (not sure whether this has been mentioned).

ryanmanu
Jul 21, 2008, 02:55 AM
its always worked for me

xj322x
Jul 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
A FIX FOR THOSE THAT ARE ABLE TO ENTER 4-DIGIT PASSCODE IN ITUNES BUT NO RESPONSE:

You need to have iTunes sharing enabled... AND there cannot be a password.
iTunes > Preferences > Sharing
Require Password Box: UNCHECKED

Apple should really fix this, so that the sharing can still require password.

----
One more thing... it seems that if you turn off iTunes sharing password, "pair" the iPhone and MacBook on the WiFi, then turn password back on, you can still connect.

cp2222
Jul 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
Quick question for people to ponder. I have my mac pro from my office connected through a 50ft optical cable to my home theatre. Sometimes I'm in my office listening to music, in which case I would like my audio output device to be 'line out'. Sometimes I'm in my home theatre and want to listen to music.. in which case I need my audio output device on my mac pro to be 'digital out'. Remote doesn't allow me to switch this and so I have to switch it in preferences everytime i want to use remote in my home theatre. Surely someone has an idea for a solution?? Thanks !

slimjim247
Jul 27, 2008, 01:26 AM
Why cant some of these features be implemented into the ipod app like the search function and under songs it also shows the artist so you don't click the wrong artist?

senorFunkyPants
Jul 27, 2008, 05:24 AM
As an aside you need BonjourService.exe to be running and not blocked by your firewall for "Remote" to work.
If your firewall is blocking your iPhone from conecting to iTunes check the Firewall logs for an entry showing mDNSResponder.exe being blocked.
(This is for PC, don't know about Mac.)

dss
Jul 27, 2008, 04:55 PM
I have a fairly large iTunes library and in iTunes I always choose to hide compilations as otherwise I have WAY too many artists. Unfortunately, unless I am doing something wrong, there is no way to hide compilation artists when viewing your library on the iPhone via remote? Am I missing something or is this just a feature that if offered yet?

illitrate23
Jul 27, 2008, 06:08 PM
does anyone else find they use Remote instead of just switching app to iTunes and changing tracks?
i suddenly noticed i'd been doing that today - i'd hidden iTunes and was working away, and instead of bring iTunes up to select a new artist. i pulled up Remote on the iPhone and did it that way
then later, i was browsing the AppStore but wanted to switch play another playlist - so was easier to use Remote than have to forget what i was looking at on the appstore :)

remcovr
Sep 3, 2008, 01:41 PM
i got it to work by completly resseting my network.. unplugged it left it off and plugged things in one at a time

Thank you very much for this tip, it was about the only thing I had not tried yet, in an attempt to solve this. I did not plug in things after that one at a time though, just turned off my modem, router and switch for a minute or so.

Quite an odd problem, since the phone was detected just fine by iTunes, and I was able to enter the pin, and my iPhone started searching for the Library, but just kept on searching, and nothing was found.

I am now able to laugh about this, but this problem was becoming a bit annoying after 6 hours or so, I can assure you :D

inko9nito
Dec 15, 2008, 05:20 AM
I had a problem that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned here. I ran the app and it showed me the passcode, but iTunes wouldn't show it under Devices. Sounds familiar, right? Well, I'd go back and get another code, then it would finally show up under devices. I'd then enter the code, iTunes would tell me "Verifying Remote passcode," but after that it would go back to the original screen again asking me for the passcode. It just kept doing that no matter how many times I tried. That's with iTunes library sharing enabled and Firewall not blocking iTunes.

The only thing that worked was rebooting the router like so many of you had suggested. Thank you :)

10dulkar
Jan 7, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hi

I am trying to get around an irritating limitation of the remote app - hopefully someone can help me...

here's my situation: i have a fairly large collection of music in itunes. However, only about 10% of my albums are synced to my iphone (due to the 8gb iphone space limitation)...which means that 90% of my itunes library is not 'checked'...

here's the problem: when i am controlling itunes through the remote app, and say i want to play an album - if the album is not 'checked', i am unable to play the entire album. it just plays one track, then stops...i have to manually play each and every song...however, if i select an album that is 'checked' and select a song to play, it continues to play all subsequent songs...

this is really irritating - can someone tell me if there is a way around this, or if i am missing some very basic setting? or is this just a limitation of remote/itunes?

thanks!

Rojo
Jan 7, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi

I am trying to get around an irritating limitation of the remote app - hopefully someone can help me...

here's my situation: i have a fairly large collection of music in itunes. However, only about 10% of my albums are synced to my iphone (due to the 8gb iphone space limitation)...which means that 90% of my itunes library is not 'checked'...

here's the problem: when i am controlling itunes through the remote app, and say i want to play an album - if the album is not 'checked', i am unable to play the entire album. it just plays one track, then stops...i have to manually play each and every song...however, if i select an album that is 'checked' and select a song to play, it continues to play all subsequent songs...

this is really irritating - can someone tell me if there is a way around this, or if i am missing some very basic setting? or is this just a limitation of remote/itunes?

thanks!

Why is most of your library unchecked to begin with? It shouldn't have to be that way to sync only part of your library onto your phone. I also only have about 10-15% of my entire library on my phone, but there are several other ways to sync only part of your library, including making playlists and syncing only those ("smart" playlists are great - every iTunes user should learn how to make them), or manually adding songs without syncing (dragging songs over - which is how I'm currently doing it).

Once you have all your songs "checked" again, your remote app should work fine, Im guessing. There are very spcific reasons to use the check/uncheck songs feature in iTunes, but most users don't ever need to do that.

QuarterSwede
Jan 7, 2009, 10:19 AM
Quick question for people to ponder. I have my mac pro from my office connected through a 50ft optical cable to my home theatre. Sometimes I'm in my office listening to music, in which case I would like my audio output device to be 'line out'. Sometimes I'm in my home theatre and want to listen to music.. in which case I need my audio output device on my mac pro to be 'digital out'. Remote doesn't allow me to switch this and so I have to switch it in preferences everytime i want to use remote in my home theatre. Surely someone has an idea for a solution?? Thanks !
Airport Express? Remote lets you switch remote speakers (office, home theater, etc.) if you want.

10dulkar
Jan 7, 2009, 10:57 AM
Why is most of your library unchecked to begin with? It shouldn't have to be that way to sync only part of your library onto your phone. I also only have about 10-15% of my entire library on my phone, but there are several other ways to sync only part of your library, including making playlists and syncing only those ("smart" playlists are great - every iTunes user should learn how to make them), or manually adding songs without syncing (dragging songs over - which is how I'm currently doing it).

Once you have all your songs "checked" again, your remote app should work fine, Im guessing. There are very spcific reasons to use the check/uncheck songs feature in iTunes, but most users don't ever need to do that.

thanks a ton for the response...i am currently doing what you stated...check all songs and then manually add them to the iphone...however i dont like this option much...everytime i download new music i need to drag it over...

hmmm - i didnt try going the playlist route...especially 'smart' playlists...i will look into that...any suggestions on where i can start?

thanks much!

Rojo
Jan 9, 2009, 02:08 PM
thanks a ton for the response...i am currently doing what you stated...check all songs and then manually add them to the iphone...however i dont like this option much...everytime i download new music i need to drag it over...

It's not for everyone, but it really only takes seconds to add/delete stuff, and offers the finest control possible.

hmmm - i didnt try going the playlist route...especially 'smart' playlists...i will look into that...any suggestions on where i can start?

Just google "iTunes smart playlists" and you'll find tons of tips and suggestions for creating really powerful playlists -- and ways to make your music be EXACTLY what you want, or to keep it random and fresh every time you sync. The possibilities are endless...

excalibur313
Jan 9, 2009, 10:40 PM
Is this program still really dependent on firewall settings? If I am at a University (cough Harvard) is it likely that the routers have the right ports open? Am I out of luck or is there a work around?

EDIT: I confirmed that if you share your "ethernet" internet connection over airport and then connect with the iphone/itouch both the itunes remote and the keynote remote programs work. Of course if you aren't plugged in via ethernet you can't actually go on the internet with either the computer or the remote, but at least that is a first step.

maddeo
Jan 21, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, I recently wrote a tutorial how to setup the iTunes remote. The hardest is probably enabling iTunes to pass through your firewall. The concept in the tutorial will apply the same on OS X

http://youaskme.ca/how-to-setup-iphone-itunes-remote/

Let me know if you have further questions.

charliecc
Feb 8, 2009, 05:14 AM
Had to post here as I've spent hours scouring the net to find a solution and I finally got my problem sorted. Thanks for the tutorial above but it doesn't cover the issue many people here are having.

I work in IT so I'm not a complete muppet, only a partial one ;). I tried all of the solutions listed above, I had all the correct fields selected in iTunes, I reinstalled bonjour, I sorted my firewall, no matter what I did I could only connect to iTunes using the remote app after resetting (or repairing) my internet connection. After my phone went to sleep it would not reconnect to iTunes.

In the end I turned off WDS in my router settings, and bingo, I can now connect to iTunes everytime. I won't post instructions on how to do this as it'll be router dependant, but google will help you out.

I hope that fixes it for some of you guys, this really is an annoying issue.

gr8phan
Mar 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
I have a mac mini attached to my home theater, and an iTunes library shared from my iMac. I haven't figured out a way to use the remote connected to the mini and play from the shared iMac library - possible?

Exhileration
Mar 10, 2009, 02:37 AM
iphone remote is detected on itunes, but when i try to verify the passcode, it just stops and becomes blank again. tried entering it three times in a row (lol i was hopeful) but still the same results. any suggestions?

LostLogik
Mar 10, 2009, 03:03 AM
I spent think it will pick up shared libraries, only the main music folder. I've not delved too deeply but in my set up the app just sees the iTunes music folder on the pc registered to the app. Luckily this isn't an issue for me at the moment, as I have my mini set up as my music server. But I had been looking at switching to NAS drive setup. Might have to rethink.

DBS2009
May 26, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hi, I've searched everywhere for good answers but i just couldn't find anything. My problem is that, when I start the Remote app, and select "Add a Library.." my iPhone doesn't appear in iTunes under "Devices" (actually there's not even a "Devices" Menu appearing!)...I have a 2G iPhone, i have iTunes 8.0, my PC has Windows XP, it is connected via Ethernet to a router, AND my iPhone does receive Wi-Fi signal from it because I've already used internet with my iPhone. So, what to do EXACTLY?...just to be precise, i did check the option in iTunes's Preferences that searches for remote on iphones and ipods, and i also checked the option of sharing my library with local networks. Please, can someone solve this??...This issue is getting really frustrating. Thanks,

Daniel

fmyers323
Jun 28, 2009, 05:36 PM
I loaded remote without issue, then a few days later it would not work and I was unable to reload it - got the passcode verification error. Next day it was OK.
Didn't work again today but I finally thought of the VPN. Disconnected the VPN and I was able to connect again without any trouble.

m4rkie23
Jul 27, 2009, 03:41 AM
FFS i cant get the remote app to work.

iTunes isnt giving me the option of remote? I dont get it???

I have the preferences for "look for iphone and ipod touch remotes" on,
have itunes as an authorised program on my firewall,
have the remote app installed,
have my iphone as an authorised device,
have pressed "forget all remotes" (not that there were any on there before)
have "reset sync history" just to reset the sync settings, and then re-sync'd,
have both the PC and the iphone on the same wifi network
have tried having the iphone plugged into itunes, and not plugged in
have the latest itunes update (8.2.1)
have the bonjour service is on auto and logged on as local system
have shut down and re-opened itunes (more than once lol)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH anyone got any more ideas?????????????

m4rkie23
Jul 27, 2009, 02:58 PM
can anyone shed light on this? still wont work? grrrrrrrr :confused::(

efraintango1
Sep 8, 2009, 08:35 AM
Has anybody got the iTunes remote to work? It asks me to put the passcode into iTunes but after I do it just waits and waits and never seems to accept it.

I downloaded iPhoneModem, which is a free app for creating an Adhoc between your computer and an iPhone/iPodTouch, anyway downloaded the .dmg and opened iPhoneModem and click the 'connect' button on the app on your computer. Your computer will automatically connect it's own adhoc network called 'iPhoneModem. Next, connect your iPhone via WIFI to the same iPhoneModem network. Now that the iPhone and Mac are connected together bypassing your home network. At this point, itunes remote will work and sync, just open itunes remote app on iPhone and enter the four-digit code in itunes. The unexpected result was that once I returned my computer to my original 'home network' and connect my iPhone back to my original 'home network' and opened the remote app on my iPhone it automatically 'remembered' my library and automatically connected without even asking for the four-digit code and continued to work!!! Awsome. It seems like once it worked via Adhoc it remembered and kept working. Hope this helps 'cause I spent about 10 hours trying to figure this out.

PearlJam
Sep 9, 2009, 03:36 PM
Hi folks - something I've been meaning to air for a while now.

I can get the Remote.app to work fine BUT only if my iMac or MacBook Pro are connected to my router via ethernet cable - it won't find libraries if I go wireless.

Is that the way it's supposed to be ?

MTIA

Bruno.Sulmon
Sep 13, 2009, 03:47 PM
I spent think it will pick up shared libraries, only the main music folder. I've not delved too deeply but in my set up the app just sees the iTunes music folder on the pc registered to the app. Luckily this isn't an issue for me at the moment, as I have my mini set up as my music server. But I had been looking at switching to NAS drive setup. Might have to rethink.

hello,
I have set up a itunes server at my house.

All my remote speakers can be controlled by all computers(2) in the house with all of my music.

Does anyone know if there is a way to control the shared itunes library (on the server) via my iPhone

Currently I can control it from my computers. and i would like to be able to control it from my iphone also...

Thanks,
Bruno

swindmill
Sep 13, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hi folks - something I've been meaning to air for a while now.

I can get the Remote.app to work fine BUT only if my iMac or MacBook Pro are connected to my router via ethernet cable - it won't find libraries if I go wireless.

Is that the way it's supposed to be ?

MTIA

My Mac is on a wireless network and I've never had a single problem connecting via Remote.

LostLogik
Sep 14, 2009, 02:50 AM
hello,
I have set up a itunes server at my house.

All my remote speakers can be controlled by all computers(2) in the house with all of my music.

Does anyone know if there is a way to control the shared itunes library (on the server) via my iPhone

Currently I can control it from my computers. and i would like to be able to control it from my iphone also...

Thanks,
Bruno

The Remote app needs to register to one copy of iTunes and not a music library as such. The "registered" iTunes app needs to be running at the same time as the Remote app. It won't find "shared" libraries the way iTunes will.

m4rkie23
Sep 23, 2009, 05:28 AM
FFS i cant get the remote app to work.

iTunes isnt giving me the option of remote? I dont get it???

I have the preferences for "look for iphone and ipod touch remotes" on,
have itunes as an authorised program on my firewall,
have the remote app installed,
have my iphone as an authorised device,
have pressed "forget all remotes" (not that there were any on there before)
have "reset sync history" just to reset the sync settings, and then re-sync'd,
have both the PC and the iphone on the same wifi network
have tried having the iphone plugged into itunes, and not plugged in
have the latest itunes update (8.2.1)
have the bonjour service is on auto and logged on as local system
have shut down and re-opened itunes (more than once lol)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH anyone got any more ideas?????????????

latest update. ive bought a new n router (for other reasons) and thought it may work this time round (yeah rite)

have also tried adding a port for the iphone using the 4 digit number apple recommend?

still no luck.

when opening the remote app, itunes doesnt even recognise a remote in the room? any ideas? (please)

Peruvian
Sep 23, 2009, 06:10 AM
latest update. ive bought a new n router (for other reasons) and thought it may work this time round (yeah rite)

have also tried adding a port for the iphone using the 4 digit number apple recommend?

still no luck.

when opening the remote app, itunes doesnt even recognise a remote in the room? any ideas? (please)

I dont know what it is but also my itunes cant pick up my iphone, ive pretty much tried everything like you have, but it refuses to identify my phone..I think i will leave it alone now, as much as it would have been nice to control the music on my imac, i suppose its not a necessity and I can live without it....

m4rkie23
Sep 23, 2009, 07:58 AM
but when you read :

"this is sooo easy to set up, takes 2 seconds"

it just pis.ses me off. i have tried EVERYTHING and i guarantee its just 1 button that need pressing or option that needs selecting. i can also guarantee that phoning apple wont help either.

/rage!!!

Anders Heie
Feb 26, 2010, 12:46 AM
The setup presented a number of problems, which I solved as follows. I'll start with the most important, although it was the last one I solved, as it may block the other problems from being even relevant.

1. iPhone connects once, then not anymore. AKA iPhones can't connect, or connects sporadically.

Anders Heie
Feb 26, 2010, 01:08 AM
The setup presented a number of problems, which I solved as follows. I'll start with the most important, although it was the last one I solved, as it may block the other problems from being even relevant. I am on a Windows 7 PC, with a WRT54GS Router, LAN and WiFI connection.

1. iPhone connects once, then not anymore. AKA iPhones can't connect, or connects sporadically.

- Make sure your LAN connection is disabled. If LAN is enabled, I was unable to connect although the WiFi was ALSO enabled. After you solve everything else, turn back on LAN and see how that works, but it's one less issue to worry about when trying to solve this.

- Open up your firewall, and make sure that iTunes and Bonjour both can make inbound and outbound connections. This is what solved the intermittent connections for me.

- Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > (on left side) Allow a program of feature through Windows Firewall > Select (turn on) iTunes and Bonjour for private network

2. No passcode shows up in iTunes.

- Open your router configuration and turn on WMM
Linksys WRT54GS (Firmware Version: v7.50.7), look under Applications and Gaming > Qos > scroll to bottom to find WMM setting.

- For other routers, make sure WMM is turned on I guess.

After doing this, I get a passcode 99% of the time (didn't see it once)

3. No passcode shows up in iTunes

- Well, obviously, itunes > Edit > Preferences > Devices >
- Look for remote speakrers connected via AirTunes (optional)
- Allow iTunes control from remote speakers (optional)
- Look for iPhone and iPod touc remotes (MUST TURN ON)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
- Anders

Devinmajor
Mar 7, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hokaaaaayyy, so..this is whats happenin. I got the remote app. Now, i went to it and its prompting me to enter the passcode. And it shows up in itunes just fine. But the problem, is that when i enter the passcode...it loads, and then kinda gives up. Stops loading and clears the passcode field!! This isnt right! ive tried just about everything!! Wireless resets, firewall settings, turning off the firewall completely, shutting down both my computer and the ipod. STILL NOTHING!! Help anyone?? And heres pictures of whats going on

jkontente
Jul 14, 2010, 09:25 AM
I had been intensively using iphone Remote Application for over a year without any problems whatsoever. I have over 150 Gb of music on my itunes library and Remote is a life saver. I am a very big fan of the app. Unfortunately, I had a system breakdown in my computer due to a virus attack a month ago and I had to reinstall Windows to my computer. Since then, when I open remote application on my iphone and ask to add library, the code on the iphone screen appears but my iphone does not appear on the device list in itunes.

I don’t have any problems synchronizing my iphone with itunes when they are connected with the cable. More interestingly other applications on my iphone such as “Air Mouse” and “RemoteX” can easily connect wirelessly and work with my computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes (alltogether with bonjour, quicktime, itunes support etc. as thoroughly explained on the support page). I also uninstalled and reinstalled the remote application both on the computer and on the iphone.

My configuration details are as follows:

iphone 3g
Windows xp Professional sp3 on HP Compaq nx7400 lap-top.
itunes 9.2.0.61
All connected on airties rt205 router.
Windows firewall is disabled.
Eset nod32 anti virus program is disabled.
Both my iphone and the computer are on the same network.
No other computers on the same network.
On itunes, “Edit/Preferences/Devices/Look for iphone remotes” is active. “Share my library on my local network” is active.

Remote app. on my iphone can connect to other itunes libraries in other computers without any problems. When I try to connect itunes on my computer with my sisters iphone it still doesn’t work. So there must be something wrong with the itunes on my computer. I have been trying to solve this problem for a month now. Could you please help me?

Slip Jigs
Jul 15, 2010, 03:26 AM
Very concise problem description - excellent.

I think it's the firewall. There have been several occasions I've noticed when it's disables it really isn't and it's still blocking the port you need to use .

Keep the firewall on, and make sure that iTunes and all other associated applications are in the exception list. If not, add them.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to do some research and find out what port the remote app uses and add that port to the firewall also.

It could also be the router, have you updated the firmware and reset it, etc?

Finally, I would also suggest upgrading to windows 7 - it's a better OS all around and the firewall is better at detecting programs that need network access and prompting you to allow or keep blocking them.

Hope this helps somewhat.

apachin
Jul 4, 2012, 12:34 PM
Have this setup:
Mac OS 10.7.4
iTunes 10.6.3
iRemote android app
Zyxel P330W EE Wireless Router (P-330W_EE_V3.60(AMJ.5)D0_20101001 Firmware)

To make it work you should enable WMM in the router Wireless Advanced Settings :cool: