PDA

View Full Version : Sept 9th: iTunes 8, iPhone Firmware 2.1... with Hidden Features?

Pages : [1] 2

Apple Ink
Sep 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
Ars Link (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/06/on-itunes-8-and-hunches-also-iphone-2-1-for-tuesday)

A person close to the situation has informed us that, as of this morning, iTunes 8 is finally confirmed for September 9. This person conveyed that much of what Rose claims is in iTunes 8 is correct as well. So, our hunch was wrong. And we're glad, because it sounds pretty cool, too.

Another little birdie told us that it's widely expected within some Apple circles that iPhone 2.1 will be released on September 9. We were told that, aside from what we already know about iPhone 2.1 from leaked info on the web, there are other parts to 2.1 that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world. This both excites and worries us, because if true, then there are features coming in the newest firmware that have not been widely tested outside of Apple. On the other hand, we're suckers for a surprise.

This is exciting considering that Ars has a damn good record on iTunes and general Apple rumors!

atluten
Sep 6, 2008, 12:41 PM
Sort of sounds like Push will be in 2.1 after all.

BoyBach
Sep 6, 2008, 12:46 PM
Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but shouldn't the title read: "September 9: iPones 2.1, iTunes confirmed? Ars!"

Apple Ink
Sep 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
Sort of sounds like Push will be in 2.1 after all.

Sounds a lot more than 'just' that to me! Maybe the MMe iDisk-iPhone thing stated by Rose is true after all!

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but shouldn't the title read: "September 9: iPones 2.1, iTunes confirmed? Ars!"

:confused: I think I'm telling you people of whats happened and not asking...

Ntombi
Sep 6, 2008, 12:50 PM
I hope it's true! I had a dream last night that 2.0.3 was released instead. :eek:

<------spends too much time on MR :o

Peace
Sep 6, 2008, 12:53 PM
*cough*

AAC 5.1

*cough*

MacRumors
Sep 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Despite having some initial doubts, Arstechnica now believes (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/06/on-itunes-8-and-hunches-also-iphone-2-1-for-tuesday) that Kevin Rose was correct (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/22/new-ipod-nano-ipod-touch-itunes-8-0-blu-ray-in-10-6/) and that iTunes 8 will be arriving on September 9th alongside the expected iPod updates.

Also expected is the iPhone 2.1 firmware which had been also reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/22/new-ipod-nano-ipod-touch-itunes-8-0-blu-ray-in-10-6/) with the original rumor.

One new tidbit, however, is that Ars was told that there are parts of the iPhone 2.1 firmware "that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world." If true, that means there may be some surprise features that will be announced on September 9th.

Developers may note that Apple has ceased delivery of iPhone 2.1 firmware betas over the past few weeks, which is consistent with it having been declared Gold Master in anticipation of the upcoming release.

Apple is holding a special media event to announce their new products on Tuesday, September 9th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/06/sept-9th-itunes-8-iphone-firmware-2-1-with-hidden-features/)

BoyBach
Sep 6, 2008, 01:02 PM
:confused: I think I'm telling you people of whats happened and not asking...

iTunes 8.0 or iPhone 2.1 have not been 'confirmed', it's still a rumour, hence the question mark.

Apple Ink
Sep 6, 2008, 01:04 PM
I hope it's true! I had a dream last night that 2.0.3 was released instead. :eek:

<------spends too much time on MR :o

I think we all agree that the current state of 2.0.2 has us all dreaming for a more faster, stable bug free update!

BoyBach.... Ars says its confirmed and hence the exclamation mark! So its kind of confirmed!

deannnnn
Sep 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Awesome! That's really exciting =)

Hardcoredan52
Sep 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
Can't wait...... Maybe copy/paste

TN-3
Sep 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
So...Copy/Paste? MMS? 3G that works?

drewsky5
Sep 6, 2008, 01:07 PM
So...Copy/Paste? MMS? 3G that works?

I just hope it doesn't crash as much too!

fabian9
Sep 6, 2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is holding a special media event to announce their new products on Tuesday, September 9th.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/06/sept-9th-itunes-8-iphone-firmware-2-1-with-hidden-features/)

will there be coverage of the event at macrumorslive.com?

Thanks,

Fabian

fastbite
Sep 6, 2008, 01:08 PM
Let's hope so, the worst thing would be for this event to be a lame duck.

JoshHawn
Having installed 2.1 beta 4 on my development iPod Touch... i must say there are no problems with it at all. Also, it seems that apps install much faster than on my iPhone 3G which is currently still on 2.0.2. There is also no problem with keyboard lag on 2.1 but that's just in my case.

Can't wait to see what (if) these hidden features are.

citi
Awesome! That's really exciting =)

I'll hold my applause for something that is revolutionary.

God^Cent
Sep 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
Here's hoping for a new UI for iTunes:D

Beric
Sep 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
So both the Touch and the iPhone will get 2.1 shortly, eh? Sounds great!

But 2.1 better be perfect (or close), after how 2.0 has been. :mad:

iMacmatician
Sep 6, 2008, 01:12 PM
Also expected is the iPhone 2.1 firmware which had been also reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/22/new-ipod-nano-ipod-touch-itunes-8-0-blu-ray-in-10-6/) with the original rumor.

One new tidbit, however, is that Ars was told that there are parts of the iPhone 2.1 firmware "that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world." If true, that means there may be some surprise features that will be announced on September 9th.Whoa. That's interesting.

This could be a sign that the rumored ~5.5" mini-tablet running an enhanced iPhone OS with new features is coming on September 9!

CWallace
Sep 6, 2008, 01:12 PM
Well those missing features would be "The One More Thing"... Here is hoping they're worth the focus. :cool:

Thanks for the catch, JoshHawn.

JoshHawn
Sep 6, 2008, 01:14 PM
Well those missing features would be "The One Other Thing"... Here is hoping they're worth the focus. :cool:

i think you mean "one more thing"... but that's okay... people would forget as there hasn't been a "one more thing" in almost 2 years :( :(

zap2
Sep 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
Come on copy/paste!!

And MMS!

craigatkinson
Sep 6, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for GPS on the Touch.

TheSpaz
Sep 6, 2008, 01:18 PM
COPY AND PASTE or....

iCHAT!!!!

I hope.

hrag525
Sep 6, 2008, 01:18 PM
Can't wait...... Maybe copy/paste

lets not get our hopes up. copy/paste, video recording and all that gooood stuff. i dont think steve jobs will be giving out the most important features in phones today, that easily. :confused:

iSaga
Sep 6, 2008, 01:20 PM
I would imagine the extra feature that was taken out of the beta would be the push notification? Wasn't that feature taken out of the last 2.1 beta?

arn
Sep 6, 2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks,

Fabian

No MacRumorsLive, but we'll link to available coverage.

arn

Nikhil72
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

what are the chances that apple paired up with TomTom or TeleNav to co-develop a GPS/nav app?

mattpol
Wasn't excited... until this! Now I'm super psyched!

rhett7660
Sep 6, 2008, 01:22 PM
Copy / paste would be nice... but I have to agree with what others have said. I don't think apple will give it to us that easy. But if they do I won't be holding it against them.

I am some what officially excited for this. Tuesday can't come fast enough.

hrag525
Sep 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
does anybody know what time this starts and a site that will be showing it live?? anyoneee?!?:confused:

zedsdead
Sep 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
Video Recording will likely at this point be left to the App Store since the optics in the camera are so poor...there was a job listing for a camera engineer for the iPhone a few months back, but that persons work won't likely be until the next model.

Copy/Paste I think is coming. Apple has been getting a lot of criticism about it's exclusion.

To-Do-List syncing would be great!

The most important feature would be to return stability to the iPhone. I miss how great 1.1.4 worked so well. The Apple TV needs some stability with the Remote App as well.

iTunes 8 needs much better video management, HD Purchases & Rentals, a video subscription service (although I don't think a music one is needed), and on the fly transcoding of music to Apple devices.

mogzieee
Sep 6, 2008, 01:27 PM
In 72 hours we'll know.....

MacTheSpoon
Sep 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
Looking forward to Tuesday! :)

Hmmm... cut and paste in 2.1?

solipsism
Sep 6, 2008, 01:29 PM

I'd say that is unlikely. GPS is slow to get data from satellites and requires local maps on the device because it's only going to give you coordinates. They could WiFi for A-GPS, which means you have internet access. This is okay for some city usage but you are still very limited in usability.

blurredline
I just hope they devoted a lot of man power to bring back the stability of the OS. I'm sick of typing text's and emails and waiting a minute for the iPhone to finish catching up with what I just typed.

And better TV shows through iTMSin Canada!:)

BOOMBA
Mmmmm... Secret features...

superleccy
Sep 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
I bet the hidden feature is media streaming from your iTunes to iPhone/Touch over WiFi, maybe over the Internet too.

Peace
Sep 6, 2008, 01:31 PM
Knowing Steve Jobs' ego. I'd venture to guess Push will be fixed.

newyorksole
Sep 6, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ehh with all the problems that my current iPhone 3G has, I'm not even looking forward to tuesday. Normally I would be very excited.

Lesser Evets
Sep 6, 2008, 01:32 PM
I can't even begin to speculate what these features might be, but it sounds like there might not be any at all.
i think you mean "one more thing"... but that's okay... people would forget as there hasn't been a "one more thing" in almost 2 years :( :(

Steve should really keep it alive, just to be assy:

"...oh, ONE MORE THING."
*crowd goes wild, people eat babies alive*
"Have a good day."
*crowd sullen, vomit babies*

mca7
I hope the big secret is that they actually tested the new firmware version properly and arn't just kicking it out to us.

Though I really hope they do include copy and past, I hope it isn't the TOP SECRET feature, since that is something the phone should have had in the first place

Honker
secret 3g camera?

inkswamp

"One More Thing" has become Steve's "Stairway to Heaven."

solipsism
Sep 6, 2008, 01:33 PM
does anybody know what time this starts and a site that will be showing it live?? anyoneee?!?:confused:

9AM PST
Pick your favorite tech site and i'm sure they will posting info from it immediately. If they aren't there, they will have a link as to where they are getting the info. I tend to use Engadget.

Sam Yikin
Cool. Can't wait for Sept. 9.

In other news: WAAAAA WAAAAAAAH WHEREZ MY MPB APPEL!!! WAHHH!!! YOU SHOULD DIVERT ALL OF YOUR HUNDREDS OF EMPOLEEYS AND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO LABTOP JUTS BECUZ I WANT A NEW NOTEBOK!!! WAHHH{ WAHHHHH! WHO CARZ ABOUT IPODS!!!!

craigatkinson
Ehh with all the problems that my current iPhone 3G has, I'm not even looking forward to tuesday. Normally I would be very excited.

Then you would think you WOULD be looking forward to it. Firmware 2.1 just might be the fix you need.

FullGaz
Sep 6, 2008, 01:34 PM

I'm not holding my breath, I believe this event will be pretty darn lame indeed. So there is a new design for the iPod nano... Yaaawwwnnnn.....
I expect neither basic features like copy/paste, video recording or MMS to be included in the new 2.1 nor revolutionary features to be revealed this time. No new Mac Mini, no shiny touch tablet, no nothing in fact. A new iPod? Bah...
I'm sorry if I sound disillusioned but after the Steve's announcement at the beginning of this year, many people including myself expected some new or improved stuff almost every other week. In reality, it's been iPhone, iPhone and again iPhone, both in good and mainly in bad, but virtually nothing else of interest.
Did Steve finally bite more than he could chew?

Sam Yikin
They've been working on this since the release of 2.0 so hopefully it will be stable.

iMacmatician
Video Recording will likely at this point be left to the App Store since the optics in the camera are so poor...there was a job listing for a camera engineer for the iPhone a few months back, but that persons work won't likely be until the next model.iMovie mobile or Photo Booth mobile? ;):D

inkswamp
Sep 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
Copy/Paste I think is coming.

Copy is coming, but not paste.

Sam Yikin
I'm not holding my breath, I believe this event will be pretty darn lame indeed. So there is a new design for the iPod nano... Yaaawwwnnnn.....
I expect neither basic features like copy/paste, video recording or MMS to be included in the new 2.1 nor revolutionary features to be revealed this time. No new Mac Mini, no shiny touch tablet, no nothing in fact. A new iPod? Bah...
I'm sorry if I sound disillusioned but after the Steve's announcement at the beginning of this year, many people including myself expected some new or improved stuff almost every other week. In reality, it's been iPhone, iPhone and again iPhone, both in good and mainly in bad, but virtually nothing else of interest.

At least the software will hopefully be stable. And iPod touch revisions could be nice.

phinnaeus
I dunno what this hype about "One more thing" is. It would be way more exiting if he said "Four more things..."

Hah.

megatronbomb
Sep 6, 2008, 01:36 PM
Will 2.1 be free for Touch (iTouch if it annoys you) users or will we be charged?

chrisdazzo
MMS. Maybe video capture? Copy/paste doesn't excite me as much as being able to use my data services to their full potential.

Maybe a sweet GPS app from Apple as well? Something that works like those ones you stick on your dashboard...

Still, regardless, I'm super excited. :D

highjumppudding
bring it, bring it on. i am beginning to find interest in this event after all. maybe it is just the mac rumors charm before the event? i have tuesday off, this will be a fun day!

fastbite
Sep 6, 2008, 01:37 PM
Secret feature = backing up the iPhone will not take 4 hours 22 minutes -- but just 4 hours and 6 minutes.

zedsdead
Sep 6, 2008, 01:39 PM
Secret feature = backing up the iPhone will not take 4 hours 22 minutes -- but just 4 hours and 6 minutes.

This really needs to be addressed. They improved it a little, but it still takes a ridiculously long time.

Yixian
Sep 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
Anyone think we might see Nike+ for iPhone/touch at this event?

FreeState
Sep 6, 2008, 01:42 PM
My guess is:

Stream your iTunes library to your Phone
An official Radio App for the phone
Push notification
Bug fixes

iPods
New iPod Touch

New iTunes (small enhancements, on the fly playlists and visualizers, but no new major features)

and thats it...

Edit: And then of cource there will lots of whining in these forums about no laptops/cut and paste/fill in your gripe

macduke
Sep 6, 2008, 01:42 PM
Screw new features Apple! I just want my iPhone 3g to work as well as my original iPhone. Just make it stable and give it to me now if it's done! I'm tired of doing restores every day. That said, I haven't done a restore in about two weeks, removing iTunes 7.7.1, but I also haven't used the app store on my iPhone either since that usually messes things up. 8.0 AND 2.1!!! STABLE!! Thats all I have ever wanted since they broke my iPhone. I've heard Steve Jobs goes crazy if his products aren't perfect, and I'm sure he's made the Apple engineers work late nights getting this POS firmware fixed.

Ok, now that my rant is over, given what was revealed not to long ago about Copy / Paste being near the top of Apple's to do list, it at least has a 50/50 shot of being included.

Apple also announced that the September update will include push notification, and unless they release two firmwares in one month, we'll see it soon enough. My gut is telling me they will announce it but it won't be available for download until September 30 at 6pm.

*cries*

Peace
Sep 6, 2008, 01:43 PM
9AM PST
Pick your favorite tech site and i'm sure they will posting info from it immediately. If they aren't there, they will have a link as to where they are getting the info. I tend to use Engadget.

It's 10AM Left Coast time.

Use the dashboard widget and set it to Cupertino..

The dashboard is your friend.;)

bmcgrath
The secret in 2.1 is the iphone will now have battery life like it was when on 1.1.4 and be solid as a rock....

Am I asking for too much??? :)

Kilamite
Could be worth waiting until the Keynote is published!

How long did WWDC 2008 take before the Keynote was published on Apple's website again? I'm sure it was over a day, but can't remember.

wozzlewoozle
great! can't wait until the 9th. I could use an upgrade on my 'ol mini, now all I ask is that apple bring on an air with 7 hour battery life......

mtrctyjoe
Sep 6, 2008, 01:44 PM
THAT IS WHAT WE NEEEEEEEED!!!!

Come on already!

Copy and Paste this: Add Bluetooth Stereo Ad2p

hrag525
Sep 6, 2008, 01:44 PM
instead of newww featuress...i think they should build more Apple Stores so when the New iphone comes out which is probably less then 8 months, i can camp out and get it :D

gianly1985
Sep 6, 2008, 01:45 PM
- Copy/Paste

- Built-in Turn by Turn GPS Voice Navigator by APPLE

- Video recording + quick Upload to Youtube function

- iTunes Wifi Music Store now also for 3g networks (why the hell not?)

- Push notification for IM, etc.

- official support for Tethering

- FM radio remote!!

- MMS.... (actually I don't mind at all..)

Peace
Sep 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
Could be worth waiting until the Keynote is published!

How long did WWDC 2008 take before the Keynote was published on Apple's website again? I'm sure it was over a day, but can't remember.

The keynote should be available a few hours after.

The Podcast should come out 3-5 days later.

Yixian
Sep 6, 2008, 01:47 PM

EDIT: oops looks like the last time I tried to post this did work.. my bad, internet is laggy today.

HyperZboy
Sep 6, 2008, 01:50 PM
PREDICTION: Surprise Feature = Subscription Service! :D

apixel
Sep 6, 2008, 01:51 PM
Video Recording will likely at this point be left to the App Store since the optics in the camera are so poor....

Just jailbreak and install cycorder. Video recording is not only possible, it looks pretty darn good too. I doubt this can be done with an app store, though, as video recording requires access to low level calls simply not possible with the sanctioned api.

MacOldTimer!
Sep 6, 2008, 01:53 PM
Having installed 2.1 beta 4 on my development iPod Touch... i must say there are no problems with it at all. Also, it seems that apps install much faster than on my iPhone 3G which is currently still on 2.0.2. There is also no problem with keyboard lag on 2.1 but that's just in my case.

Can't wait to see what (if) these hidden features are.

If you have the 2.1 beta 4 for the Touch why don't you have it for the iPhone 3G? We're they released to a separate group of testers?

If so, has anyone tested the 2.1 beta on a 3G? If it's as stable as quoted here it would be great news for everyone.

old-wiz
Sep 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
I'd say that is unlikely. GPS is slow to get data from satellites and requires local maps on the device because it's only going to give you coordinates. They could WiFi for A-GPS, which means you have internet access. This is okay for some city usage but you are still very limited in usability.

GPS is 'slow' only when it's first turned on - it has to acquire signals. After that there's no delay. maps could be stored on an SD card in the device, and you wouldn't need wi-fi for maps.

frankym
Sep 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
Haptic feedback for the keys on iphone

JoshHawn
Sep 6, 2008, 02:01 PM
If you have the 2.1 beta 4 for the Touch why don't you have it for the iPhone 3G? We're they released to a separate group of testers?

If so, has anyone tested the 2.1 beta on a 3G? If it's as stable as quoted here it would be great news for everyone.

i didn't put it on my iPhone 3G because i didn't think i needed to. (and in case it wasn't stable i didn't want it on the device i depend on for communication) This way i could directly compare 2.0.x on my iPhone 3G to 2.1 on my iPod Touch. I can tell you that 2.1 is very stable, and i haven't had any problems with it. I must say tho that i wish the new iPod Touch will have external speakers, because i am used to using the iPhone without speakers and it kinda bothers me when i forget which one i'm using and there's no sound when there should be LOL Also GPS would be a good idea, when i'm on maps on the iPod Touch there is no way for it to know my current location, my WiFi location isn't in the database :(

i'm not too excited about tuesday... to be honest i want to get a new MacBook Pro when it comes out :D

MacOldTimer!
Sep 6, 2008, 02:04 PM
Will 2.1 be free for Touch (iTouch if it annoys you) users or will we be charged?

Never used an iTouch/Touch other than at BestBuy so don't know if you are experiencing the instability issues of the iPhone but if you are I would "GUESS" that Apple will put it out as a Free upgrade to help its tarnished record of late.

whlphil
Sep 6, 2008, 02:07 PM
I'm going for free turn by turn Sat Nav built into 2.1 - but i'll settle for stability!

DaveTheGrey
Sep 6, 2008, 02:08 PM
I hope this unknown features in 2.1 rumor is true. The rumor sites were quite accurate in the last years so that the actual event was always a bit disappointing...
I miss these one more thing days :)

puckhead193
Sep 6, 2008, 02:09 PM
maybe a 32 gig iphone?!?

newyorksole
Sep 6, 2008, 02:16 PM
Then you would think you WOULD be looking forward to it. Firmware 2.1 just might be the fix you need.

Yeah I know, but I'm saying I had faith in 2.0.1 and 2.0.2, but they let me down and I think I might be let down again.

I hope the lag is gone and the 3G is fixed... only time will tell.

projectle
Sep 6, 2008, 02:17 PM
I can't believe all of you...

Think it over... If Apple hasn't provided Copy & Paste or MMS in the past 16 months, why is the next 3 days going to be that much more different?

Here's my prediction...
Look at our new products... for release next tuesday! Or, the very day after the Free iPod promotion ends with the purchase of a new Mac.

Beric
Sep 6, 2008, 02:18 PM

We can only hope...

I'm dying for Touch GPS. :(

DrNelly
Sep 6, 2008, 02:19 PM
A new nano and a couple of iTunes patches are not going to cut it for me. Give me subscription services Zune like, a slimmed down iTunes with HD content also available through subscription and I will be buying Apple stocks in a hurry...

By the way, I do not like the back to the future nano design..

Wingsy
Sep 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
What's all this talk about stability? Since Jun 11 I think I've had 2 instances where some app I was using suddenly quit and I was put back at the home screen. I use my iPhone every day, sometimes for hours. I have about 20-25 apps from the store on it (and finally, animated weather radar!) No dead battery, no slow typing, no nuthin but it working just fine. My fiancee has the same experience with hers.

Posted just so some readers won't get the wrong idea.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
maybe a 32 gig iphone?!?

From a software update? lol ok

Sep 6, 2008, 02:25 PM

It seems like it is ALREADY a lame duck:

1) a .x update to the iPhone, which means pretty much nothing apart from a few feature changes;

2) old "new" designs to the Nano, plus higher capacity Touch;

3) iTunes 8 with little more than a cool visualizer and more content on the US and UK stores...

In other words, NOTHING exciting.

fleshman03
Sep 6, 2008, 02:28 PM

One new tidbit, however, is that Ars was told that there are parts of the iPhone 2.1 firmware "that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world." If true, that means there may be some surprise features that will be announced on September 9th.

I'm so excited my head is going to explode.

Could this be hiding new features of the new iPod Touch? Possibly GPS? It seems that the possibilities are endless on this one.

Tuesday isn't coming fast enough!

BJWanlund
Sep 6, 2008, 02:31 PM
In other news: WAAAAA WAAAAAAAH WHEREZ MY MPB APPEL!!! WAHHH!!! YOU SHOULD DIVERT ALL OF YOUR HUNDREDS OF EMPOLEEYS AND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO LABTOP JUTS BECUZ I WANT A NEW NOTEBOK!!! WAHHH{ WAHHHHH! WHO CARZ ABOUT IPODS!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, Sam. :D

It is laughable watching everybody's reactions...

BJ

BWhaler
Sep 6, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'll be happy with 64 gig iPod touch. I own the 32gb model and love it, but more capacity is dreamy.

A 128gb model would have me dancing in the streets.

vandy1997
Sep 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
Is an "iPone" a new device? You shouldn't correct others and then make a spelling error.

Explorer5
Sep 6, 2008, 02:40 PM
One new tidbit, however, is that Ars was told that there are parts of the iPhone 2.1 firmware "that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world."

Gotta love it how Apple feels it's better to be so secretive about their products rather than actually test them out and make sure they work.

So now who wants to place bets that these new features will end up being buggy (because they were not properly tested) and iphone 2.2 will follow up within a month, and Apple will get another class action lawsuit.

Apple may not have as many security problems as MS - but MS still makes products that dont require a .x update within weeks of the initial program offering.

netdog
Sep 6, 2008, 02:41 PM
Apple may not have as many security problems as MS - but MS still makes products that dont require a .x update within weeks of the initial program offering.

Huh? You're serious?

Um...Vista? The original release of XP? Windows 3.1? Windows 3.0 was never even any good to anyone (never mind Windows 1.0, Windows 286 and Windows 386).

I want some of what you're smoking! :D

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 02:42 PM
I smell it this time. Copy and Paste. Seriously.
Can't wait till Tuesday morning.

e-coli
Sep 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Yes. Please. PLEASE fix the software before you go "innovating" again. The iPhone software is a wreck. I need a usable, stable phone, not a phone with more bells and whistles.

Whtddhesay
Sep 6, 2008, 02:46 PM
THAT IS WHAT WE NEEEEEEEED!!!!

Come on already!

Copy and Paste this: Add Bluetooth Stereo Ad2p

Totally. I've been saying it for weeks. It's possible that the new iPod Touch will have bluetooth, and Apple will start selling their own pair of stereo bluetooth headphones. This would obviously mean that the 2.1 firmware will enable the A2DP profile. I would be thrilled. I bought the Parrot MK6100 about a year ago, so I'm dying for stereo bluetooth

ivladster
Sep 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
This is strictly iPod event. Nothing new for iPhone but just new update with Push.

Later when Macbooks will be announced then Apple is gonna talk about new iTunes 8 and iDisk for iPhone.

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 02:52 PM
This is strictly iPod event. Nothing new for iPhone but just new update with Push.

Later when Macbooks will be announced then Apple is gonna talk about new iTunes 8 and iDisk for iPhone.

are you confirming that or is that just your guess?

netdog
Sep 6, 2008, 02:53 PM
are you confirming that or is that just your guess?

He's confirmed it. ;)

TheSpaz
Sep 6, 2008, 02:53 PM
I just came to a startling discovery! Maybe PUSH actually WILL be enabled in 2.1 on Tuesday... You know how I know?

AIM's servers stopped working on the iPhone AIM app today... maybe they're preparing for the big PUSH update that will be announced on Tuesday and a new version of AIM will be released with it. Why else would AIM be down right now?

ventro
Sep 6, 2008, 02:54 PM
Push notes sync. Why isn't this in there already????

knightlie
Sep 6, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry if I sound disillusioned but after the Steve's announcement at the beginning of this year, many people including myself expected some new or improved stuff almost every other week.

Sounds like the problem is with your expectations rather than the nebulous statements made by Jobs. Frankly, that's a pretty stupid assumption to make.

oacory
Sep 6, 2008, 02:55 PM
What's all this talk about stability? Since Jun 11 I think I've had 2 instances where some app I was using suddenly quit and I was put back at the home screen. I use my iPhone every day, sometimes for hours. I have about 20-25 apps from the store on it (and finally, animated weather radar!) No dead battery, no slow typing, no nuthin but it working just fine. My fiancee has the same experience with hers.

Posted just so some readers won't get the wrong idea.

I agree with you. I have an iPod Touch with 2.0.2 and have had maybe 5 instances where apps have quit on me. I have had this touch from the beginning (almost a year old) and it is one of the best "toys" I have ever got. And to everyone saying that the iPhone and iPod Touch take two hours or so to sync... idk how slow your computer is. Mine take 5-8 minutes tops and I have friends who have iPhone 3Gs and original iPhones and the highest number i got from them was 20 minutes on a iPhone 3G being synced to Windows XP laptop with a gig of ram.

daneoni
Sep 6, 2008, 02:56 PM

Its a music event not just an iPod event only. Meaning iTunes/iPhone/Nano/Touch/Classic/Shuffle are all eligible candidates for updates

TheSpaz
Sep 6, 2008, 02:57 PM
I agree with you. I have an iPod Touch with 2.0.2 and have had maybe 5 instances where apps have quit on me. I have had this touch from the beginning (almost a year old) and it is one of the best "toys" I have ever got. And to everyone saying that the iPhone and iPod Touch take two hours or so to sync... idk how slow your computer is. Mine take 5-8 minutes tops and I have friends who have iPhone 3Gs and original iPhones and the highest number i got from them was 20 minutes on a iPhone 3G being synced to Windows XP laptop with a gig of ram.

Mine takes only minutes to sync and I've never had SMS lag on me.

wizard
Sep 6, 2008, 03:01 PM

Why do people continue to spit up crap like this about GPS. There is nothing wrong with an app that stores data locally on the device, in fact it is ideal for many apps. As for cell or WiFi communications GPS is best for when you are away from those markers of our technological society. You are not likely to get any of those sorts of services when you are out in a boat, hiking the mountains or hunting terrorist in Pakistan.

The best thing in the world for GPS on the iPhone would be an app that allows the user to download detailed maps from the net prior to his specific usage. It would mean that iPhone becomes a device that is competitive with all the stand alone GPS units out there.

fandsw
Sep 6, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hopefully Safari will be snappier.....:D

koobcamuk
Sep 6, 2008, 03:03 PM

What the hell do you people do with your iPhones? Mine backs up in about 30 seconds... always has done.

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
What the hell do you people do with your iPhones? Mine backs up in about 30 seconds... always has done.

depends when you're backing up and how much ***** is on your iphone.

solipsism
Sep 6, 2008, 03:06 PM
Why do people continue to spit up crap like this about GPS. There is nothing wrong with an app that stores data locally on the device, in fact it is ideal for many apps. As for cell or WiFi communications GPS is best for when you are away from those markers of our technological society. You are not likely to get any of those sorts of services when you are out in a boat, hiking the mountains or hunting terrorist in Pakistan.

The best thing in the world for GPS on the iPhone would be an app that allows the user to download detailed maps from the net prior to his specific usage. It would mean that iPhone becomes a device that is competitive with all the stand alone GPS units out there.

1) What app is currently available to do this? What info on Tom Tom for the iPhone have you and you alone heard about?

2) What part of "...equires local maps on the device because it's only going to give you coordinates." did you not understand?

napabar
Sep 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'm hoping Apple finally decides to give Airtunes the push it deserves. The "Killer App" for Airtunes is the Remote program on iPhone/iPod Touch. This thing is very cool for a version 1.0 release, and can only get better.

Here's what I'd like to see:

A new version of the iPod Hi-Fi, with an Airtunes client built it. Drop the iPod dock to distinguish it from the million other speaker systems out there and make it look more streamlined. Change the name and sell it for $249. People could buy more than one of these for different areas in their house. Drop in it, plug it in, control the "Zone" from the Remote program. Apple simplicity.

Also, Apple could make a slimmed down version of Airport Express. Call it "Airtunes" and it's only function is a client with an audio out mini-jack. No router, no ethernet jack, no USB. Airtunes only. Sell it for $49. That way people would have a cheap way to use their existing audio equipment (anything from an old boom box to a high end amp) to receive music from iTunes and have that "Zone" controlled by the Remote app.

The Remote app could be updated to version 2.0. Among it's features are being able to access a CD in iTunes, and call up various internet radio station. Also, fix the album art issue with Remote and Apple TV.

One last thing. Update Apple TV to allow the volume to be controlled with Remote app.

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm hoping Apple finally decides to give Airtunes the push it deserves. The "Killer App" for Airtunes is the Remote program on iPhone/iPod Touch. This thing is very cool for a version 1.0 release, and can only get better.

Here's what I'd like to see:

A new version of the iPod Hi-Fi, with an Airtunes client built it. Drop the iPod dock to distinguish it from the million other speaker systems out there and make it look more streamlined. Change the name and sell it for $249. People could buy more than one of these for different areas in there house. Drop in it, plug it in, control the "Zone" from the Remote program. Apple simplicity.

Also, Apple could make a slimmed down version of Airport Express. Call it "Airtunes" and it's only function is a client with an audio out mini-jack. No router, no ethernet jack, no USB. Airtunes only. Sell it for $49. That way people would have a cheap way to use their existing audio equipment (anything from an old boom box to a high end amp) to receive music from iTunes and have that "Zone" controlled by the Remote app.

The Remote app could be updated to version 2.0. Among it's features are being able to access a CD in iTunes, and call up various internet radio station. Also, fix the album art issue with Remote and Apple TV.

One last thing. Update Apple TV to allow the volume to be controlled with Remote app.

sorry dude, but apple event on tuesday does not revolve around you. ;)

ltldrummerboy
Sep 6, 2008, 03:14 PM
Has no one mentioned The Beatles?

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:17 PM

you know what? you have a serious point here,
the invitation said "Let's Rock."

this might very well be happening.

napabar
Sep 6, 2008, 03:18 PM
sorry dude, but apple event on tuesday does not revolve around you. ;)

Uh, excuse me, dude, but your confusing me with forum posters who whine about Apple not catering to their needs. Not one thing in my post was negative or whining. You wont find me in here Tuesday night complaining that Apple didn't cater to my needs. I was just simply stating some things I'd like to see.

iMacmatician
Sep 6, 2008, 03:18 PM
Is an "iPone" a new device? You shouldn't correct others and then make a spelling error.iPwn. :D

Later when Macbooks will be announced then Apple is gonna talk about new iTunes 8 and iDisk for iPhone.Interesting statement. I wonder why Apple would release iTunes 8 at a Mac event rather than an iPod event.

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
Uh, excuse me, dude, but your confusing me with forum posters who whine about Apple not catering to their needs. Not one thing in my post was negative or whining. You wont find me in here Tuesday night complaining that Apple didn't cater to my needs. I was just simply stating some things I'd like to see.

Don't be so sensitive Beavis. I had a wink face at the end of my comment.

odedia
Sep 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
My guess is copy&paste, and also support for Nike+iPod.

Funny, I actually prefer the latter more than the first.

I became a addicted to running.

Oded S.

napabar
Sep 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
Don't be so sensitive Beavis. I had a wink face at the end of my comment.

"Are you threatening me? I'm am Cornholio!"

Dazzerukuk
Sep 6, 2008, 03:23 PM
Has to be more than a new iPod Touch and Nano.

There is an event for the London press to watch the broadcast and then handle the new product on Tuesday.

As they didn't bother to do that for the iPhone 3G, there has to be something more significant than a couple of iPods!

It'll be a 'oh yes, one other thing...' moment no doubt.

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
"Are you threatening me? I'm am Cornholio!"

There you go. That's the sense of humor I was hoping for.

Beatles
Copy/Paste
Complete iPod Refresh

That's what I predict for Tuesday.

wizard
Sep 6, 2008, 03:29 PM
Well I do know one thing I have big expectations for bug fixes as I experience about half the reported issues daily! So that is number one. Safari really needs some usability fixes thats for sure. But neither of these would be considered new features.

I'm not to sure if Push is coming I sometimes have this feeling that it is just a bit ahead of its time. So this is what I'd like to see:

A facility or App to allow using the iPhone as a Flash storage device for your main computer. This could be implemented as a finder like App that allows review of the store. More importantly the finder like App needs to be able to launch for viewing the files stored there. Thus pdf's, various text files, video and image files, spreadsheets, HTML/web sites and such can be viewed on the device. This would be absolutely fantastic for somebody that needs to carry around documents for reference but would rather not format of create them specifically for iPhone. Yes I realize that setting up a server for such can be done but frankly it be more secure if the data was kept off line on the iPhone.

Related to the above it would be great if Apple could deliver an app that brings spreadsheet functionality to the iPhone in both read only and read write form. The idea here is optimization for the hand held device. Though this contradicts what was said above I'd love to see Apple rethink the spread sheet concept a bit for its targeted environment.

A real GPS app!

Though the spread sheet described above would solve part of the problem but I'd love to see Python or another scripting environment on iPhone. Just something to add quick functionality and hopefully allow background processing. The thinking here is that a interpreted scripting environment would provide for a more secure and controlled environment and avoid the drag on performance that Apple is concerned with. The lack of background app official support is a real drag on what is possible with iPhone, at the same time though I share Apple concerns about performance and other issues. If Apple where to allow one app, an interpreter, to run in background they should be able to exercise a lot of control over what it can do while relieving some of the iPhones constraints.

Thanks
Dave

DaBrain
Sep 6, 2008, 03:31 PM

OK I'll bite!--))) Do tell, when one copies something, then what do they do with it? Be nice--)))) :confused:

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
OK I'll bite!--))) Do tell, when one copies something, then what do they do with it? Be nice--)))) :confused:

There's an ant in my screen!!!!

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 6, 2008, 03:36 PM
Aloha everyone,

First off, iPod touch owners WILL have to pay for the upgrade. No one seems to remember that ONLY for the iPhone (both 1st gen and 3G) and :apple:TV were the prices amortized over a 24-month period. Not so for the iPod touch. What does that mean exactly? Owners of either model iPhone as well as owners of :apple:TV get updates for 24 months for free, as they are covered in the initial cost of the device. iPod touch owners mush pay for the upgrades, as they are NOT covered in the initial price. What bears watching is what happens to 1st gen iPhone owners next year, when their 24-month window closes.

Next, I think people are a little confused on GPS. A-GPS is still "real" GPS, but uses WiFi towers to assist GPS satellites with your location. The maps app also uses your available data connection to draw the maps, and I've not had too much of a problem with my iPhone 3G keeping up with my vehicle while driving on the freeway here in Hawaii (I only drive at 70mph tops, however :D) We don't have turn-by-turn GPS, but the screens on most in-vehicle units are much larger than that of the iPhone, so other than cost or for hikers and such, I begin to wonder about the significance of such functionality.

Lastly, I'm not sure how much to read into the "Let's Rock" and picture of the dancer with an iPod. We will most likely see the new iPod Nano, iTunes 8.0 (which will hopefully fix the app update issue for iPhone and iPod touch), and iPhone firmware 2.1, but here's at least one idea I didn't see anywhere else on this thread. I would like to see the small Apple remote control unit replaced by an app on the iPhone/iPod touch, as well as extending that functionality to controlling the :apple:TV remotely as well. Even though I don't currently own an :apple:TV (and probably won't be purchasing one in the near future), I think this is something Apple should offer :apple:TV owners. I'm thinking that Apple is heading in that direction, but as I'm not paid to spout my opinions, take that with a huge grain of salt (or a full salt shaker even :D).

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

Peace
Sep 6, 2008, 03:38 PM
Lastly, I'm not sure how much to read into the "Let's Rock" and picture of the dancer with an iPod. We will most likely see the new iPod Nano, iTunes 8.0 (which will hopefully fix the app update issue for iPhone and iPod touch), and iPhone firmware 2.1, but here's at least one idea I didn't see anywhere else on this thread. I would like to see the small Apple remote control unit replaced by an app on the iPhone/iPod touch, as well as extending that functionality to controlling the :apple:TV remotely as well. Even though I don't currently own an :apple:TV (and probably won't be purchasing one in the near future), I think this is something Apple should offer :apple:TV owners. I'm thinking that Apple is heading in that direction, but as I'm not paid to spout my opinions, take that with a huge grain of salt (or a full salt shaker even :D).

There's already an app for that. It's called Remote.

Appledicted
Sep 6, 2008, 03:42 PM
I don't want any new features before the current system is stable.
The Backup function is of no use.
Why does it always do a full backup? User specific configuration settings and application data setting would be enough and I guess much faster to copy around.
All the other stuff is in my iTunes Library, and what about incremental backups?
The last (4 to 5h) backups I made were even "corrupted or not compatible" when trying to restore my iPhone. Which I did now the 3rd time within the last 7 days....
So in the end I did a fresh install anyway.
The AppleMobileDevicehelper crashes several times a day when doing syncs.

Please fix all this in iTunes 8, fancy stuff I can wait for.

Currently I am having a love-hate relatiionship with my iPhone.
Please make it again what it used to be!

Roller
Sep 6, 2008, 03:42 PM
There's already an app for that. It's called Remote.

And here's the link (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284417350&mt=8).

Surely
Sep 6, 2008, 03:43 PM

I think the real question is what the hell are you doing (or not doing) with your iPhone for it to only take 30 seconds to back up.

Mine takes around 10 minutes on average to sync and backup. There have been a couple of times that it took around 90 minutes. Those times sucked.

30 seconds sounds like an exaggeration to me.

Anyway........

On Tuesday, I'm hoping for a more stable firmware that also returns my iPhone's reception back to it's short-lived 2.0 glory.

vandy1997
Sep 6, 2008, 03:45 PM
I like that (iPwn). :D

iPwn. :D

Interesting statement. I wonder why Apple would release iTunes 8 at a Mac event rather than an iPod event.

daneoni
Sep 6, 2008, 03:47 PM
I think the real question is what the hell are you doing (or not doing) with your iPhone for it to only take 30 seconds to back up.

Mine takes around 10 minutes on average to sync and backup. There have been a couple of times that it took around 90 minutes. Those times sucked.

Anyway........

On Tuesday, I'm hoping for a more stable firmware that also returns my iPhone's reception back to it's short-lived 2.0 glory.

While i was running 2.0.2 my backup times never exceeded 20 seconds...averaged 10 seconds. 12 apps installed, 5GB worth of media etc

vandy1997
Sep 6, 2008, 03:49 PM
They probably mean syncs and not backups. Or they don't have anything on their phones. My backups have taken up to two hours, and I know two people witht he same issue. We all have about 20 to 25 apps on the phones. It may be true, but I can't see any backups taking a few minutes (not at this time, anyway). Hopefully 8.0 will change that with incremental backups. (fingers crossed)

Anyway........

Roller
Sep 6, 2008, 03:50 PM
I don't want any new features before the current system is stable.
The Backup function is of no use.
Why does it always do a full backup? User specific configuration settings and application data setting would be enough and I guess much faster to copy around.
All the other stuff is in my iTunes Library, and what about incremental backups?
The last (4 to 5h) backups I made were even "corrupted or not compatible" when trying to restore my iPhone. Which I did now the 3rd time within the last 7 days....
So in the end I did a fresh install anyway.
The AppleMobileDevicehelper crashes several times a day when doing syncs.

Please fix all this in iTunes 8, fancy stuff I can wait for.

Currently I am having a love-hate relatiionship with my iPhone.
Please make it again what it used to be!

Actually, I'd take both (new features and stability/bug fixes. :)

In reality, I think that the UI for working with the iPhone in iTunes needs a redo - as it is, it's very confusing what actually is being transferred and/or saved when you sync or restore. I had to restore my iPhone last week after an app update hosed it and it took multiple steps, a lot of time, and some manual data re-entry to get it back to where it was.

evansls
Sep 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
i would think with the introduction of HD tv show content in the itunes store, this may very possibly mean HD tv show content will be available for apple tv. i think there are some movie rentals in HD today, so more HD content would be nice. i don't have apple tv yet, but hopefully one day!

Georgea1990
Sep 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
Its simple.

You know that improved iPod app used for Remote? With a search and some other great features.

I'd be shocked if that wasn't introduced as a new iPod app for 2.1 with the new touch.

ItsGavinC
Sep 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
They probably mean syncs and not backups. Or they don't have anything on their phones. My backups have taken up to two hours, and I know two people witht he same issue. We all have about 20 to 25 apps on the phones. It may be true, but I can't see any backups taking a few minutes (not at this time, anyway). Hopefully 8.0 will change that with incremental backups. (fingers crossed)

I have 4 GB of media and 13 apps, and mine takes about 50 seconds to backup during the sync process. We are referring to the portion of the sync where it says "Backing up ...iPhone," right?

Sep 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
So sounds like Copy/Paste and Video recording/MMS maybe? I sure hope...

Benj Stoves
Sep 6, 2008, 03:57 PM
iTunes as a media server which will stream to the Iphone / Touch. Client will track the IP of Desktop iTunes like Slingbox, through your itunes account, and iTunes will handle all the necessary port forwarding.

Just a guess ....

maestrocasa
Sep 6, 2008, 03:58 PM

That's Hillarious!

manhattanboy
Sep 6, 2008, 04:00 PM
COPY AND PASTE or....

iCHAT!!!!

I hope.
Here's hoping for iChat audio

wilburpan
Sep 6, 2008, 04:03 PM
This is not really iTunes related, or maybe it is, but is there any indication that Quicktime would be bumped up to Quicktime 8?

The main reason I ask is that I actually have reason to upgrade to Quicktime Pro, but don't want to get caught by a version upgrade.

iMacmatician
Sep 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
This is not really iTunes related, or maybe it is, but is there any indication that Quicktime would be bumped up to Quicktime 8?

The main reason I ask is that I actually have reason to upgrade to Quicktime Pro, but don't want to get caught by a version upgrade.QuickTime will be updated (http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/) to QuickTime X with Snow Leopard.

kobefan234
Sep 6, 2008, 04:06 PM
is somebody going to post a link for the thing

and is Steve going 2 go up on stage and announce ?

queshy
Sep 6, 2008, 04:07 PM

Anyway........

I rarely (if not never) have had a backup last more than a minute.

I think it's due to the amount of "stuff" one has on their iPhone. Mine is relatively empty, with a few weeks of iCal entries, maybe 50 contacts, and under 1000 songs, with maybe 50 mb in apps. 3 email accounts, and that's it.

pavelbure
Sep 6, 2008, 04:14 PM
great, another event with no mention of anything to do with computers. if someone only watched these past 2 events and probably this one, they would have NO CLUE that apple sold computers. except for the air, we have to go all the way back to aug 07 with any mention of their computers.:mad::mad::mad:

just irritated waiting for the new macbooks.

rfrankl
Sep 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
Just get rid of the typing lag on the iPhone, I don't need any other features.

I would be more happy with an ATV with DVR and a Blue-Ray drive.

CrzyCanuck72
Sep 6, 2008, 04:24 PM
iPhone needs improvements to its basic features before it starts getting into fancy new apps and stuff. It needs email notifications on the lock screen. It needs repeated notifications for missed calls and texts. It needs a louder ringer and more powerful vibrate. Some of us actually use the iPhone as a phone, and it is missing features that even the most basic Nokia has.

kornyboy
Sep 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Maybe we will see the promised push for the Apps and possibly turn by turn directions on GPS.

gianly1985
Sep 6, 2008, 04:32 PM
great, another event with no mention of anything to do with computers. if someone only watched these past 2 events and probably this one, they would have NO CLUE that apple sold computers. except for the air, we have to go all the way back to aug 07 with any mention of their computers.:mad::mad::mad:

Does Apple produce computers too? :confused:

:D

nickXedge
Sep 6, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm excited for all of this greatly however, if I have to deal with keyboard lag until the end of the month I'm going to poop myself. It's getting so bad that every single time I try to type a text message, it lags and I have to go back to the home screen and re-enter the text app in order to not have lag. It is the most frustrating thing in the world.

cyberz
Sep 6, 2008, 04:37 PM
hello all,
i've been reading this forum for a year or so, but this is my first post!

i personally dont understand all the complaining about iPhone 2.x.
on mine, an application crashed only once or twice and no problems with 3g reception.
i'm pretty much in love with it so far. :)

i just hope that 9/9th event is not gonna be just about iPod nano. :cool:

D3nZ
Sep 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
Auto correct turn off button.

mekopolis
Sep 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
hello all,

on mine, an application crashed only once or twice and no problems with 3g reception.

i just hope that 9/9th event is not gonna be just about iPod nano. :cool:

i dont reccomend you try this, but if you want to experience what some people are complaining about

download an app from the app wifi store, while it is installing, launch another app

this will crash your ipod, and you have to force a restore by plugging in your ipod into the computer, turn on your ipod (which wont load past the apple logo)..then holding down the power and home button for 10 seconds, and when the power goes off, continue holding the home button until Itunes recognizes a force restore
your backup will be corrupt, and you have to restore, and reload all of your music,
now do this once a week for a month or so...and then you will hold the same bitter taste in your mouth as some people

welcome to the forums, happy posting :)

gceo
Sep 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
Should I give up on MMS?

One more update without it, and I feel like Bob Marley.... Waiting in vain.

turd
Sep 6, 2008, 04:48 PM
maybe garageband update ;-) haha

speaking of which... whens the next ilife update? with the macbooks?

dieburnbot
Aloha everyone,

We don't have turn-by-turn GPS, but the screens on most in-vehicle units are much larger than that of the iPhone, so other than cost or for hikers and such, I begin to wonder about the significance of such functionality.

How can you wonder about the significance just because the screen is smaller than a standalone unit? Before I bought my Garmin Nuvi 760 (which btw has a 4.3" widescreen compared to iPhone's 3.5"), I used to use my Motorola Razr V3c with VZ Navigator as my GPS and the screen on that is roughly half the size of the iPhone. The iPhone's screen is more than large enough to work as a turn-by-turn GPS. You don't need a massive screen to do turn-by-turn GPS unless you have some kind of serious visual impairment which would make me wonder how you use your iPhone in the first place.

I would love to have turn-by-turn GPS on my iPhone, because then I have one less thing to carry around when I'm traveling (my Garmin).

daneoni
Funny how its a music/media event and majority of the speculation is still based on iPhone

iPhone iPhone iPhone iPhone iPhone iPhone iPhone...

turd
Sep 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
i hope there is more itunes content coming. More movies. More television networks. etc.

twoodcc
Sep 6, 2008, 04:54 PM
alright, can't wait for tuesday to get here! looking forward to itunes 8, and the new features with 2.1 firmware

skinnylegs
Sep 6, 2008, 04:55 PM
Forgive me for not getting *too* excited about fixes for things that should already be working. Beyond the fixes, Apple can redeem themselves by offering up MMS. Over a year since the iPhone's launch and still no MMS is almost unforgivable.

newyorksole
Sep 6, 2008, 05:00 PM
I just wanna like my iPhone 3G how I liked my original iPhone, because I'm not too happy with 3G right now.

Bubba Satori
Sep 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
Everything but computers. Month after month...:rolleyes:

DaZe3
Sep 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
i really really want push... AIM!!! =] wooooooo... but lets not get our hopes up.. 3 days and well see...

vilasgn
Sep 6, 2008, 05:05 PM
I realized that I need to switch 3g on/off multiple time of the day.

This is what I think will be cool--

On the top bar where you see AT&T bars, logo, time, battery etc. I would like to see,

1. Click on AT&T logo/bars and 3g will be switched on/off.
2. Click on wifi logo and wifi will be switched on/off.
3. Click on time and Clock application will be launched minimizing the current open app if any.
4. Click on battery logo and the settings application will be launched minimizing the current open app if any.
5. Click on the bottom bar and you should be taken to the bottom of safari page etc.

Now is that hard to do? Comeon apple!

tonyshucraft
Sep 6, 2008, 05:15 PM

On the top bar where you see AT&T bars, logo, time, battery etc. I would like to see,

3. Click on time and Clock application will be launched minimizing the current open app if any.
4. Click on battery logo and the settings application will be launched minimizing the current open app if any.
5. Click on the bottom bar and you should be taken to the bottom of safari page etc.

yeah, it is kind of hard to "click" on a touch screen. I heard tapping helps.

Compile 'em all
Sep 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
- MMS.... (actually I don't mind at all..)

MMS is not and is never coming. Apple did the right choice.

Pigumon
Sep 6, 2008, 05:21 PM

iPhones and iPod Touches ARE COMPUTERS. They run Mac OSX and all those little buttons on the home screen are APPLICATIONS that you can run. They connect to the internet, you can browse websites, email, you can type documents, draw, play games, what makes it not a computer in your mind, the size?

Compile 'em all
Sep 6, 2008, 05:21 PM
hello all,

How many apps u have installed? How much of them do you use on a daily basis? Do you use email/internet? How often? Did you also listen to music while doing this? How many contacts you have in your contacts app? How much space is occupied out of the total capacity?

I hope i made my point.

vilasgn
Sep 6, 2008, 05:22 PM
yeah, it is kind of hard to "click" on a touch screen. I heard tapping helps.

Damn! I realized I was posting in a wrong forum. Actually whatever I mentined was for upcoming Zune Phone for which I m a beta tester.

Yes it's gonna have mouse.

BigD58
Sep 6, 2008, 05:25 PM
Wow I am really excited about tuesday!

wheezy
Sep 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
2.1 better deliver or I'm back to 1.1.4. Apps and a few other things are neat extras, but when the main functions lag (contacts, sms) and 3G phones can't even make calls (My moms phone wouldn't make or receive calls for hours last night, then I had her switch off 3G and the problem was solved.)... if they can't get that stable then I'll go back to 1.1.4 on my 2.5G phone.

Apple tried to deliver too much at the same time and it failed. I have confidence they'll fix it, but it needs to be sooner rather than later.

Trip.Tucker
Sep 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
I think we all agree that the current state of 2.0.2 has us all dreaming for a more faster, stable bug free update!

BoyBach.... Ars says its confirmed and hence the exclamation mark! So its kind of confirmed!

No, it's still a rumor and you are not telling, you are relaying. Accuracy counts.

pooryou
Sep 6, 2008, 05:49 PM
i dont reccomend you try this, but if you want to experience what some people are complaining about

download an app from the app wifi store, while it is installing, launch another app

WTF would anyone do that.

Masquerade
Sep 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
cracking news! you will able to call in your iPhone after 9Sep!

Can Apple too give a update to SMS my friends without that horrible lag, or a simply copy-paste gesture or sometime like... a divx player?

JitteryJimmy
Sep 6, 2008, 06:23 PM
GPS is slow to get data from satellites

That's simply not true. GPS gets data from satellites in milliseconds. In fact, that's how GPS works: data is received from the satellites. Nanosecond timing differences are used to triangulate the position of the receiver. If GPS were "slow", it simply wouldn't be GPS.

This is how all GPS receivers work - from the sub-$100 handheld units to the stupidly expensive receivers built into high-end cars.

(GPS) requires local maps on the device because it's only going to give you coordinates. They could WiFi for A-GPS, which means you have internet access. This is okay for some city usage but you are still very limited in usability.

Fortunately, both the Touch and the iPhone have several GB of available storage on-board. It would be simple to use this for mapping data. Note that many automotive GPS units have built-in map data that is far under 1 GB in total storage.

Trip.Tucker
Sep 6, 2008, 06:25 PM

Is that an Arabic reference? It's spelled Shi'ite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shi'a) not the way you mispelled it. What technological restriction would that impose on the iPhone?

bushido
Sep 6, 2008, 06:32 PM
Is that an Arabic reference? It's spelled Shi'ite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shi'a) not the way you mispelled it. What technological restriction would that impose on the iPhone?

lol i guess he wrote just ***** bc it would be censored otherwise

Trip.Tucker
Sep 6, 2008, 06:33 PM

Shi'ite is censored? Since when?

Eminemdrdre00
Sep 6, 2008, 06:35 PM

Thats why they dropped "Computer" from their name! Its Apple, Inc. now!

kennycheng93
Sep 6, 2008, 06:37 PM
A2DP, please!!!

linducker
Sep 6, 2008, 06:42 PM
TSNN is analyzing the picture live! Follow them at http://www.twitter.com/tsnn

nlivo
Sep 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
Now I'm finally excited for this event.

What I'd love to see added:
-Turn-by-turn
-Copy and paste
-Bluetooth exchange
-Character counter in SMS (makes sense now that the iPhone is available all round the world)
-Tethering
-And MMS purely to shut up all the people that complain about it. I don't care in the slightest.

What I think will be added:
-Turn-by-turn
-Copy and paste (not as certain)

projectle
Sep 6, 2008, 06:52 PM
Pasting has existed since Day One... Copying is one of those things that they are gonna need a new hardware revision for.

Now I'm finally excited for this event.

What I'd love to see added:
-Turn-by-turn
-Copy and paste
-Bluetooth exchange
-Character counter in SMS (makes sense now that the iPhone is available all round the world)
-Tethering
-And MMS purely to shut up all the people that complain about it. I don't care in the slightest.

What I think will be added:
-Turn-by-turn
-Copy and paste (not as certain)

bushido
Sep 6, 2008, 06:54 PM
Pasting has existed since Day One... Copying is one of those things that they are gonna need a new hardware revision for.

not really there's already a app in the appstore that can do it (at least inside the app)

i really need a counter for sms now that i send messages to canada a few times per week and i have no clue how many messages it ends up with. i mean c'mon every 30 $ phone can do it

projectle
Sep 6, 2008, 07:02 PM
not really there's already a app in the appstore that can do it (at least inside the app)

And I think that you have just proven that you lack a complete sense of humor.

aljawad
Sep 6, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hidden OS 2.1 features might include support for non-Latin languages with right-to-left characters. This way the iPhone will support Arabic, which is crucial if the device is to make its debut in countries like Jordan, Egypt and Qatar before the end of the year.

If this is the case, then expect Steve to announce the availability of the iPhone in even more countries before the end of this year.

blybug
Sep 6, 2008, 07:15 PM

While on hold waiting for repair status on my MacBook today, several Beatles songs were played. Even some obscure ones like "Mr. Moonlight"...I immediately thought maybe this was foreshadowing for Tuesday.

Or just a coincidence. Annoyingly for the company most associated with the digital music revolution, Apple's hold music is very tinny and harsh to listen to.

Posted from my iPhone while at Chuck E Cheese. Kill me now.

born2win413
Sep 6, 2008, 07:18 PM
anything on MacBook Air or the iPhone update where the apps won't crash, then i'm cool..

as for the iPod update.. blahh

gibbz
Sep 6, 2008, 07:18 PM

Shi'ite is censored? Since when?

You have got to be kidding (if so, kudos on the straight faced humor)? The guy was saying it depended on how much crap is on your phone. Get it? S*&t.

simulacra
Sep 6, 2008, 07:35 PM
I just hope they fix the typing lag while writing text messages, on my iphone it may take 4-5 seconds for the phone to react to the input...

supertomtom
Sep 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
I know probably none of these will happen but my wishlist for the iPhone 2.1 update would be:

- Haptic feedback implementation with option to turn on/off (I can dream can't I?)
- Wifi sync with iTunes
- Push notification service
- Turn by Turn
- A2DP support (maybe even announce official :apple: stereo headphones to go with it?)
- Copy and paste
- Other minor features: MMS, allow more than 9 homescreens, iPod visualization on the phone (a la PSP)
- and of course improved stability so I don't have to keep doing full restores...

I guess I'm setting myself up for a huge disappointment come Tuesday :p

mrgreen4242
Sep 6, 2008, 07:48 PM

GPS is pretty quick to acquire signal these days (under 30 seconds) and maps of the entire US is less than 2gb. The touch would need real GPS, not aGPS, so it's more or less the same as a stand alone GPS unit which are pretty popular even with those limitations. So, what's your point?

iMovie mobile or Photo Booth mobile? ;):D

You actually have me an interesting thought - what if they added video recording to the iPhone but also set it up to stream to iChat over WiFi (and the still cam to Photo Booth) letting you have a roaming web cam, as well as a second web cam in addition to any built in one. Think "I Am Legend" where Will Smith had his little wireless video cam on his headset...
We can only hope...

I'm dying for Touch GPS. :(

Touch GPS would be a +1 neat-o for Apple, but BT in the touch will get me to sell mine and upgrade. I want to tether my touch to my Cetro w/ unlimited data*. Between that and a BT headset I could leave my phone in my pocket all the time, turning it into basically a fancy modem.

* I pay $33 WITH tax for 500min, unlimited N&W/mobile2mobile/data/text and photo messaging. I'm not paying $80 for the equivalent service on an iPhone thank you very much.

Huh? You're serious?

Um...Vista? The original release of XP? Windows 3.1? Windows 3.0 was never even any good to anyone (never mind Windows 1.0, Windows 286 and Windows 386).
Don't forget 95 and 98. Both were useless until the second or third major revision (95oer2 or whatever they called it and 98SE were both actually pretty good OS's, in fact 98SE is probably my favorite MS OS).

you know what? you have a serious point here,
the invitation said "Let's Rock."

this might very well be happening.

This quote was replying to a Beatles comment (just for reference). All I can say is so what? At this point there are so many Beatles collections/greatest hits/whatever that buying singles is a little stupid. It's not like they are releasing new albums where you really only want a track or two. Just go buy Beatles 1 for $12 (about 20 tracks) and <insert some other Beatles greatest hits collection here> for $10-15 and be done with it. If you are a "big fan" you'll want the discs anyways, so I just don't get the big deal about adding this large back catalogs to the iTMS. iTunes excels at new music releases where you can impulse buy a single from some otherwise crappy CD and be done with it.

Sam Yikin
Sep 6, 2008, 07:55 PM

You realize that Apple has other products on their own schedules BESIDES computers? Just because iPhone and iPod have dominated the news recently doesn't mean anybody has forgotten about the computers.

solipsism
Sep 6, 2008, 07:57 PM
GPS is pretty quick to acquire signal these days (under 30 seconds) and maps of the entire US is less than 2gb. The touch would need real GPS, not aGPS, so it's more or less the same as a stand alone GPS unit which are pretty popular even with those limitations. So, what's your point?

What's your point? I stated what is holding the Touch back from getting GPS and you just repeated what I said but added some BS timeframe for signal lock and size for a single country's map. If you can't see that the HW would be pointless without the SW then I have no idea what you are doing in a tech-based forum. Again, FOR THIS TO HAPPEN THERE WOULD HAVE TO BE LOCAL MAPS AVAILABLE. Of course, your lack of comprehension probably reads that as I'm saying it's not going to happen. Which isn't, in any way, what I said.

queshy
Sep 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
checkout gizmodo for pics of the "let's rock" banner that Apple just posted in SF...

chequepoint
Sep 6, 2008, 07:59 PM
Much more likely, and exciting, would be the announcement of AC DC to the itunes store. AC/DC is about to release a new record, (Granted, with Wal-Mart owning exclusive physical distribution at least..), a world tour, and all the general publicity hoopla that exists around that. Adding their back catalogue to iTunes and making a musical appearance at this particular event would be something that I would push for if I were their publicist..

akac
Sep 6, 2008, 08:01 PM

AGPS *is* real GPS. Its real GPS ASSISTED with towers so that it can find the satellites faster.

queshy
Sep 6, 2008, 08:01 PM
If you think about it, Apple hasn't recently had any events dealing exclusively with a single product. There is bound to be "something else" that no one of us thought of. Nobody saw time capsule coming on MacBook Air day.

On iPod touch day, nobody saw new shuffle colors and a "new iPod classic". It just wasn't really massively predicted.

Hopefully this event won't just be about the nano - I doubt it will be.

k'five
Sep 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
I hope when this happens, I'm not left as disappointed as I expect.

Hehehe.

lucasmonger
Sep 6, 2008, 08:11 PM
Although copy/paste would be useful, the feature I'd like to see the most is to have more if not all Apple Apps supporting landscape mode. Safari is great, but you don't know how many times I'm reading an email that is formatted in HTML and I turn it only to yell "Doh!!!!"

Last time, Calculator got a facelift (although my wife hates it because even on the portrait mode, the buttons got smaller and her propensity to miss buttons increased).

I want to see SMS, Mail, Maps, Notes, Clock, Stocks, Settings, Contacts, Phone, and Calendar all become flip-able.

Peace
Sep 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
Although copy/paste would be useful, the feature I'd like to see the most is to have more if not all Apple Apps supporting landscape mode. Safari is great, but you don't know how many times I'm reading an email that is formatted in HTML and I turn it only to yell "Doh!!!!"

Last time, Calculator got a facelift (although my wife hates it because even on the portrait mode, the buttons got smaller and her propensity to miss buttons increased).

I want to see SMS, Mail, Maps, Notes, Clock, Stocks, Settings, Contacts, Phone, and Calendar all become flip-able.

Man that's a lot. Why not just lie on your side ?

soloduo
Sep 6, 2008, 08:24 PM
best buy start's selling iphone's tomorrow to bad i won't be getting one for a long time:(

FightTheFuture
Sep 6, 2008, 08:24 PM
the only thing i would really want in the 2.1 firmware is to be as responsive as the 1.1.4 firmware. oh. and as a previous poster mentioned, MMS just so everyone would stop complaining about that. you know - kinda like how noone complains about customized ringtones anymore?

lucasmonger
Sep 6, 2008, 08:26 PM
Music genius mentioned in prior posts sounds intriguing. What if Apple were to obtain subscription licensing, then include Pandora's wonderful capability to find music using iTunes (or an iPhone or iPod), and when you hear something you like in "radio mode" (streaming music picked by the genius), press a button then download and listen as often as you want. I love Pandora, but the inability to rewind or pick a specific song frustrates me.

nwpassage
Sep 6, 2008, 08:34 PM
If there are hidden things in 2.1, they must be reasonably significant new features.
:) Copy and paste would be good in general, but to not support MMS and create these texts that require it is a problem.
This would be good. If you check Nike+'s forums there are some pretty disgruntled users over there.

lucasmonger
Sep 6, 2008, 08:35 PM
Another feature much needed in the next incarnation of iTunes is the ability to extend music sharing a bit to define a master music (video/TV/Movie) server in the house where it gathers all new purchased content from all the family members.

Right now my music library is fragmented across 4 different computers with the wife and kids all downloading onto their machines. Consolidating has been a manual procedure that would be better served by a iTunes server. Ideally, when someone downloads something, as soon as its done, it talks to another machine (or Airport Extreme or Time Machine) and puts it into the master household library.

Maybe this can be part of iTunes 8?

Here are some additional thoughts about a home server device...
http://web.mac.com/doublel/Pure_Speculation/Speculations/Entries/2008/8/6_Apple_Home_Server_Appliance.html

lucasmonger
Sep 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
Man that's a lot. Why not just lie on your side ?

The advantage of landscape mode is that the keys get bigger and are easier to hit and you have more text from left to right.

Judgew7
Sep 6, 2008, 08:40 PM
There's several simple improvements Apple needs to make to the iPhone OS - or at least as a former Win Moblile 5 user, that I would like to see:

1) MMS - ATT's online implementation with the horrible logins and inability to download the pics is pathetic. You should be able to click on a link and it open in safari and be able to download to your phone at least. But a true MMS is way overdue here.
2) cut and paste - nuff said.
3) Alarm/alert reminders - need to be able to set a reminder alert without having to go into calendar and reset the alert there. I may want a birthday notice 7 days in advance, then when it goes off, delay it for an couple of hours or another day to remind me before I leave work.
4) Better syncing options - such as for photos - when I sync it creates a new folder on my computer and duplicates the pics - then the next sync duplicates those on the phone. So I end up with two or three or four copies of the same pics in different folders. It's ridiculous and a waste of time and space.
5. Ability to disable the spell checker or set it to replace the world only when selected, instead of automatic replacement. It's a PIA to type unusual names or abbreviations then have the stupid spell checker replace them while your trying to type. Also the transmission indicator for SMS is unnecessary - I'd rather be able to go to another message and start typing. Also the ability to have multiple conversations going at the same time would be nice - using tabs. Having to exit one individuals conversation and enter anothers is so gauche...

That would be a good start - IMHO.

abercrombie
Sep 6, 2008, 08:52 PM

as one of the po' folk here that can only afford a couple hundred buck apple nano, or a $500 low end windows laptop, i don't mind if they don't announce any new computers.:p

Rybold
Sep 6, 2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks,
Fabian

I sure hope so! This brings back memories of when I first discovered Mac Rumors! As an Apple shareholder, I was directed from Bloomberg news to Mac Rumors to view the live unveiling of the iPhone3G. I quickly discovered the value of thiis website - it's an excellent source for "breaking" Apple news. I'm posting this comment from my iPhone3G right now. ;)

igazza
Sep 6, 2008, 09:09 PM
id like copy and paste never thought id need it but i do.

ichat be great because none of the other chat programs work as they should.

Dr. Cabrera
Sep 6, 2008, 09:18 PM
useless rumor is useless

much like people speculated about September 1st being the release of 2.1 I see much fail again

I do agree that the new iPods will probably be released

oh and push notification was removed ( search )

Rybold
lets not get our hopes up. copy/paste, video recording and all that gooood stuff. i dont think steve jobs will be giving out the most important features in phones today, that easily. :confused:

You are right! Next summer, when they unveil the iPhone 3G TWO, they will once again lure everyone to upgrade by adding new hardware features. That is how companies sell new phones to previous customers and stay in business.

28monkeys
yes, no doubt....copy and paste is that hidden treasure of 2.1 :rolleyes:

8CoreWhore
Sep 6, 2008, 09:19 PM
COPY will be in 2.1... test that for awhile... then they'll add PASTE in 2.1.1. :D

BklynKid
Sep 6, 2008, 09:20 PM
Push notifications, less crashing/laggy keyboard and the iPhone experience would be perfected in my eyes.

Excellerator
Sep 6, 2008, 09:20 PM

Great idea!!!!!!

pavelbure
Sep 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
You realize that Apple has other products on their own schedules BESIDES computers? Just because iPhone and iPod have dominated the news recently doesn't mean anybody has forgotten about the computers.

i guess. if recently you mean the past 20 months.

everything dealing with their computers seems to go on the very back burner lately. hell, a mlb iphone/pod app got more coverage at wwdc than snow leopard, their next os.

Excellerator
Sep 6, 2008, 09:24 PM

Thats because :apple: computers have never been that good so they would contentrate on something else. :)

tgreco50
Sep 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
Please God let this update fix my iphone once and for all so I can start using it in my manhattan apt! Amen...

QuarterSwede
Sep 6, 2008, 09:33 PM
i guess. if recently you mean the past 20 months.

everything dealing with their computers seems to go on the very back burner lately. hell, a mlb iphone/pod app got more coverage at wwdc than snow leopard, their next os.
Maybe that's because they're now Apple, Inc and no longer Apple Computers. They changed their name for a reason.

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 6, 2008, 09:38 PM
And here's the link (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284417350&mt=8).

Aloha Roller,

Doesn't that just control the music? What about the rest of your content? What I see is a remote control for everything you can do via iTunes on your computer or on the TV itself.

HawaiiMacAddict

Lumpydog
Sep 6, 2008, 09:40 PM
I think the big deal is this: Wifi synching

I think it's bizarre that Apple went back to the old form factor for the nano. So why would they do it?

Second question - what's the big news for Tues? and why iTunes 8? and why the iPhone firmware update (besides the obvious bugs)?

I think that the Nano and the Classic iPods are getting wifi.

Think about it. Apple TV syncs wirelessly with itunes. It's a great feature. If iTunes is open and the Apple TV is on, they synch. Why not do this with iPods?

No tether! Proximity synch your devices - including the iPhone - which will get a firmware update.

I love this idea. My iPhone is usually nowhere near my PC. I charge it at night. Why can't it synch over wifi if it's on my network!? How about the iPod in my car? Let me see/synch that up on iTunes...

Anyway, that's why I think Apple went back to the old Nano form factor. It's the only way they could get the wifi chip/antenna in it.

my $.02

Lumpy

Rybold
Sep 6, 2008, 09:42 PM
Mmmmm... Secret features...

Steve Jobs: ".... One more thing ....
We licensed Vista from Microsoft and the new update will over-ride the current iPhone OS with Vista. ... ... and the iPod Touch will run OS X." :eek:

Rybold
Sep 6, 2008, 09:44 PM
I bet the hidden feature is media streaming from your iTunes to iPhone/Touch over WiFi, maybe over the Internet too.

Hmmm ... this makes me think that maybe Apple will be releasing features to increase the appeal of Mobile Me, and perhaps an additional subscription service in an attempt to increase subscription revenues. Just maybe. :apple:

hypothetical Steve Jobs: "A revolutionary new Mobile Me."

Rybold
Sep 6, 2008, 09:47 PM
Knowing Steve Jobs' ego. I'd venture to guess Push will be fixed.

Buy a song on your computer iTunes and KA - BAM !!!!
it (((instantly))) updates via 3G or WiFi to your iPhone. :D

Rybold
Sep 6, 2008, 09:53 PM
secret 3g camera?

Here's the real cash crop if Apple can find a way to pull it off ... when your iPhone is at your house, within the range of your WiFi, it functions as your home telephone routing through the WiFi to an Apple server that functions as your land-line telephone company. With the wide-spread usage of iTunes, Apple could easily add such a feature.

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 6, 2008, 09:56 PM
How can you wonder about the significance just because the screen is smaller than a standalone unit? Before I bought my Garmin Nuvi 760 (which btw has a 4.3" widescreen compared to iPhone's 3.5"), I used to use my Motorola Razr V3c with VZ Navigator as my GPS and the screen on that is roughly half the size of the iPhone. The iPhone's screen is more than large enough to work as a turn-by-turn GPS. You don't need a massive screen to do turn-by-turn GPS unless you have some kind of serious visual impairment which would make me wonder how you use your iPhone in the first place.

I would love to have turn-by-turn GPS on my iPhone, because then I have one less thing to carry around when I'm traveling (my Garmin).

Aloha dieburnbot,

I have the Lexus nav system in my RX350 - I had to purchase the nav option in order to get hands-free functionality. It's far easier to see, on my center console, than my iPhone screen, in the console between the front seats. You do not have to worry about my iPhone usage - GPS is something I don't actually need on my iPhone, even while on vacation. Just give me a map and I'm good. :D

HawaiiMacAddict

paja
Sep 6, 2008, 09:58 PM
Fix the bugs in the iPhone, Leopard and Mobile Me. Focus on quality control!

Rybold
Sep 6, 2008, 10:00 PM

The main feature, "one more thing," is most expected to be either a new line of iPods or else a new iTouch computer (think of the Macbook Air, now take away the keyboard and folding, and make the screen a touch screen). Such a product has been rumored much in the past as the next "Mac World" product, but you never know if Apple might release it early. Worse case scenario: "Hello everyone. We have a new promotion of back-to-school discounts. Ten percent off for students with a valid school I.D. Thank you for coming everyone. Have a good day. I'll see you all next year. iPhone 2.1 firmware will be out on September 31st." Fan in audience: "Wait! There is no 'September 31st!'" (Steve Jobs runs off stage)

JW008
Sep 6, 2008, 10:01 PM
Aloha Roller,

Doesn't that just control the music? What about the rest of your content? What I see is a remote control for everything you can do via iTunes on your computer or on the TV itself.

HawaiiMacAddict

It actually controls music as well as video on both iTunes and the AppleTV! You can even use it to look up YouTube videos on the AppleTV. It's a pretty nice little app! :)

mikes63737
Sep 6, 2008, 10:05 PM
Here's my wishlist for 2.1:

1. Video recording
2. MMS
3. Copy + paste
4. Landscape SMS
5. Fix the laggy keyboard
6. Fix MobileMe (especially Push) and give us 60 more days! :eek:
7. Fix the backing up process - if it takes more than 5 minutes it's too much. I haven't synced my iPhone in over a week just because of this.
8. Fix MDCrashReportTool (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=548790)
9. Fix AT&T's network problems.
10. Fix everything else while you're at it.

tongteh
Sep 6, 2008, 10:08 PM
For all those who are asking for a new macbook, apple is probably trying to get the new snow leopard into the new revision of macbook? which is the cause of the delay for new MB/MBP and etc. i am just guessing.. :P

It would be nice to see copy and paste and stability fix in update 2.1

Rybold
Sep 6, 2008, 10:09 PM

We already have copy for images. (it saves to your photo album)
Yes, I get your joke. It is funny.
Maybe, they'll give us copy for free, and charge $25 for a Paste App.
I want to be able to save files into folders and be able to attach files to emails and upload attachments when posting on forums. Also, a wordpad/notepad program (like on Win XP) would be very useful.
Heck, a word processing program that can open ".doc" files from MS Word and allow BASIC editing would be awesome! and it would be a HUGE selling point to business customers.

solipsism
Sep 6, 2008, 10:16 PM
For all those who are asking for a new macbook, apple is probably trying to get the new snow leopard into the new revision of macbook? which is the cause of the delay for new MB/MBP and etc. i am just guessing.. :P

It would be nice to see copy and paste and stability fix in update 2.1

There is no delay. MB/MBP revisions always happen after other OEMs get ahold of new Intel chips because Apple needs significantly more out of the gate. There are some occasions when Apple has gotten first dibs but those were not for the high volume sales of the MB/MBPs.

soLoredd
Sep 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
Is the secret going to be a fix for the SMS typing lag?

gregdrummeraz
Sep 6, 2008, 10:29 PM
Has anyone even considered the iPhone being able to be taken in by multiple carriers now, T-Mobile! SInce they now have a 3G service? I think that is the only reason Apple did not put the iPhone on T-Mobile to begin with. They knew from the beginning where they wanted to take this: 3G. Att had it ready and out! Apple did not wanna be slapped around by a T-Mobile that says "We may have it ready by then" when they did not even have 3G out yet.

Speculation #1:
I think that's a big possibility. You need to see Apple as a business and not a friend, they care about how many unit's they sale and how many NEW customer's they can supply and satisfy.

Speculation #2:
iPhone 32GB. Its not out, but its available. Make 16GB 200 make 8GB 99 and 32GB 349. I can see that happening. Maybe not this update but VERY soon! I would say BY MacWorld 09'.

Speculation #3:
People want capacity in a sleek sexy package. Hard drive based touches. OOOORR uh hello classic touch??

Speculation #4:
Seeing as EVERYONE is distracted by ipod updates. An iPod computer. Or small touch based computer. Like iTab or something. The only reason I see the patents leaking is they were an accident. Seeing as in past updates there have been patent "leaks" right before a new release, this signifies a possibility. I see about a %30-%40 chance in that kind of a release.

Speculation 5:
That Nano cad is now going to be the shuffle for $89. and those touch cads will actually be that new nano touch. 149 and 199 respectively.

I hopefully don't sound completely stupid but you can all see factual and possible truths in what I said in the above speculations.

My advice!

Buy Buy Buy on AAPL!!! NOW! As many as you can!! like... NOOOOW!!!! DO IT!

macerroneous
Sep 6, 2008, 11:05 PM
I, too have a very good experience with backup times. I have an 8GB iphone purchased on day 1, used it heavily, and even now it seems a backup only takes a few minutes. I wonder what could possibly be the problem for the unfortunate ones? Maybe it helps if you keep a few hundred MB of space empty, as I always do?

I have a theory about keyboard lag. It seems to me the less syncing my phone is doing, the less often I run into lag. I suspect that the software might not preempt the network services being performed in the background. Should be fixable.

My iphone RARELY crashes.

I want to be able to search my cpntacts better: find "plumber" or "starship engineer" if I can't remember their names.

I agree HTML email needs to feature portrait mode and zoom in just like safari. Can't read the fine print.

I find the portrait keyboard to be LESS accurate than standard.

"No wifi for YOU" on nano or classic.

I'm surprised we're not seeing a nanotouch AND a megatouch.

I think I need copy and paste, please.

I want, but don't need:
Streaming video at home to iphone
Apple remote desktop for iphone (vnc too slow for me)
Notification of missed texts, emails, calls (a beep)
Subscription service to all the upcoming Seinfeld commercials
A 9 inch tablet...maybe I need it.

And here's a preemptive "that's what she said" to boot.

Ramble on.

TheSpaz
Sep 7, 2008, 12:33 AM
With the success of the iPhone and iPod... I wouldn't be surprised if Apple got into the computer making business. Maybe they could make it like the iPhone except use a full desktop version of the iPhone OS and call it something like... I dunno... Mac OS X... That might be pretty cool!

hiimamac
Sep 7, 2008, 12:51 AM
COPY AND PASTE or....

iCHAT!!!!

I hope.

Ability to DELTE songs, podcasts, et-cetera from iPhone, Touch, iPod.

Ability to share and bring songs from device to computer for backing up.
Enough already with the DRM, the labels lost (I worked for them too) and still want this feature. I see some of my stuff posted all the time.

:-)

stagi
Sep 7, 2008, 01:33 AM
I am just hoping for a more stable iphone update that is available on Tuesday, that would make me happy

cyberz
Sep 7, 2008, 01:58 AM
How many apps u have installed? How much of them do you use on a daily basis? Do you use email/internet? How often? Did you also listen to music while doing this? How many contacts you have in your contacts app? How much space is occupied out of the total capacity?

I hope i made my point.

hello,

i have about 30 apps installed. of these, i use 6 or 7 on a daily base (social networking, some web-radio, weather, several utilities, some games more rarely).
i fetch emails 24/7 and browse the web a couple of hours a day. and yes, i do listen to music when i am doing that (commuting is :mad::confused::rolleyes::eek::p boring). i have about 80 contacts (i know, should improve my social skills instead of playing with the iphone) .

but, i do occupy only 4gb of the total capacity. i use SimplifyMedia a lot and i keep only a few podcasts a day on the device.
and (this seems to be critical) i do not run any application (with the exception of mail) when i install/update apps.

THT

HawaiiMacAddict
Sep 7, 2008, 02:06 AM
It actually controls music as well as video on both iTunes and the AppleTV! You can even use it to look up YouTube videos on the AppleTV. It's a pretty nice little app! :)

Aloha JW008,

Thanks for the info. I have the Remote app, but obviously haven't used it much :o I don't have an TV yet, so wasn't sure about how it interacted with that device. At work (in our office), we're forced to use, um, PCs and are not allowed to have iTunes installed on them. It would be nice to have a second iTunes library on my work laptop so that I could use Remote to control a second, work, iTunes library (in my workshop, we do have a Road Runner drop - just not in the office). Of course, I would have to completely rebuild my iTunes library - my external drive is formatted for Mac and would not be readable on my work laptop.

HawaiiMacAddict

HawaiiMacAddict

cyberz
Sep 7, 2008, 02:09 AM
besides the copy/paste (but things might be tricky as there are already some independent projects around)...

...what i really wish is to be able to run apps in the background (like the ipod app or mail). i want to surf and write emails while listening to my favorite webradio, or when i catch my itunes library bt SimplifyMedia).

is this technically impossible?

jz7410
Sep 7, 2008, 02:21 AM
[QUOTE=gregdrummeraz;6179916]Has anyone even considered the iPhone being able to be taken in by multiple carriers now, T-Mobile! SInce they now have a 3G service? I think that is the only reason Apple did not put the iPhone on T-Mobile to begin with. They knew from the beginning where they wanted to take this: 3G. Att had it ready and out! Apple did not wanna be slapped around by a T-Mobile that says "We may have it ready by then" when they did not even have 3G out yet.

Speculation #1:
I think that's a big possibility. You need to see Apple as a business and not a friend, they care about how many unit's they sale and how many NEW customer's they can supply and satisfy.

Wrong! You can't even run a 3g iphone on T-Mobiles 3g network. The iphone only support 3 3g frequencies (850, + 2 others) T-Mobiles 3g is a different frequency which is not even supported by the iphone.
Apple has a contract with ATT for another 2 or 3 years.
0 chance we c this

epaminos
Sep 7, 2008, 03:13 AM
Why everyone doesn't say anything about Bluetooth in iPhone? When it "ll be unlocked?

And I am 99.99% sure that the leaked strings of copy/paste in localization files are for the upcoming disk mode support and not the texts (yet)!!!

MaTiCeK
Sep 7, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hidden features huh? You mean like the keyboard not lagging anymore? Great!

xforce11
Sep 7, 2008, 07:09 AM
I hope that iTunes 8 lets you stream you iTunes Library to things other than iPod Touch and iPhone (I don't have either b/c of the hard drive limitation). I hope you can stream to your MacBook or our Mac at work. It would be so awesome not to have to take HD space on your MacBook and still have your music.

ps I really hope they release new MacBooks and MBPs on Tues.

DaSal
Sep 7, 2008, 07:15 AM
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that the new "hidden" feature is gonna be the "iPhone, disappear me!" app that was announced for the first iPhone, but pulled at the last minute. :D