Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Ars Link

A person close to the situation has informed us that, as of this morning, iTunes 8 is finally confirmed for September 9. This person conveyed that much of what Rose claims is in iTunes 8 is correct as well. So, our hunch was wrong. And we're glad, because it sounds pretty cool, too.

Another little birdie told us that it's widely expected within some Apple circles that iPhone 2.1 will be released on September 9. We were told that, aside from what we already know about iPhone 2.1 from leaked info on the web, there are other parts to 2.1 that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world. This both excites and worries us, because if true, then there are features coming in the newest firmware that have not been widely tested outside of Apple. On the other hand, we're suckers for a surprise.

This is exciting considering that Ars has a damn good record on iTunes and general Apple rumors!

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but shouldn't the title read: "September 9: iPones 2.1, iTunes confirmed? Ars!"

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Sort of sounds like Push will be in 2.1 after all.

Sounds a lot more than 'just' that to me! Maybe the MMe iDisk-iPhone thing stated by Rose is true after all!

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but shouldn't the title read: "September 9: iPones 2.1, iTunes confirmed? Ars!"

:confused: I think I'm telling you people of whats happened and not asking...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Sept 9th: iTunes 8, iPhone Firmware 2.1... with Hidden Features?

Despite having some initial doubts, Arstechnica now believes that Kevin Rose was correct and that iTunes 8 will be arriving on September 9th alongside the expected iPod updates.

Also expected is the iPhone 2.1 firmware which had been also reported with the original rumor.

One new tidbit, however, is that Ars was told that there are parts of the iPhone 2.1 firmware "that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world." If true, that means there may be some surprise features that will be announced on September 9th.

Developers may note that Apple has ceased delivery of iPhone 2.1 firmware betas over the past few weeks, which is consistent with it having been declared Gold Master in anticipation of the upcoming release.

Apple is holding a special media event to announce their new products on Tuesday, September 9th.

Article Link

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I hope it's true! I had a dream last night that 2.0.3 was released instead. :eek:

<------spends too much time on MR :eek:

I think we all agree that the current state of 2.0.2 has us all dreaming for a more faster, stable bug free update!

BoyBach.... Ars says its confirmed and hence the exclamation mark! So its kind of confirmed!

JoshHawn

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
Hanford/Lemoore, CA
iPhone 2.1

Having installed 2.1 beta 4 on my development iPod Touch... i must say there are no problems with it at all. Also, it seems that apps install much faster than on my iPhone 3G which is currently still on 2.0.2. There is also no problem with keyboard lag on 2.1 but that's just in my case.

Can't wait to see what (if) these hidden features are.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
So both the Touch and the iPhone will get 2.1 shortly, eh? Sounds great!

But 2.1 better be perfect (or close), after how 2.0 has been. :mad:

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Also expected is the iPhone 2.1 firmware which had been also reported with the original rumor.

One new tidbit, however, is that Ars was told that there are parts of the iPhone 2.1 firmware "that were specifically removed from developer seeds in order to keep them secret from the world." If true, that means there may be some surprise features that will be announced on September 9th.
Whoa. That's interesting.

This could be a sign that the rumored ~5.5" mini-tablet running an enhanced iPhone OS with new features is coming on September 9!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well those missing features would be "The One More Thing"... Here is hoping they're worth the focus. :cool:

Thanks for the catch, JoshHawn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.