PDA

View Full Version : New Ipod Touch Discussion

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
BUILT IN SPEAKERS! Im seriously considering buying another one and handing down my current one to my gf. Discuss everything you guys like or dont like. I also think it looks pretty darn sexy too.

slidetounlock
Sep 9, 2008, 12:45 PM
Ha, all the dreams of everyone here smashed so quickly, you got speakers and volume controls, a new look and nike +....enjoy not using GPS, Bluetooth, etc...everything the iPhone has the TOUCH NEVER WILL!!!

I just hope they dont add more now that I made this post :p

update just announced a microphone, cool add

I have to add a few HA HA HA's to all those who predicted crazy things like GPS and Blutetoth

orpheusmyth
Sep 9, 2008, 12:51 PM
LOL, and what are you going to do with the built in speakers? I'm completely disappointed. Nothing new except those stupid speakers.

Cubby
Sep 9, 2008, 12:52 PM
Price drop is substantial.

HitchHykr
Sep 9, 2008, 12:54 PM
I have mixed feelings about it. Disappointed that it's not as revolutionary as I was hopping for but happy that I won't feel tempted to upgrade and expend the extra $$$. I guess I'll wait for rev 3 of the touch.

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 12:57 PM
LOL, and what are you going to do with the built in speakers? I'm completely disappointed. Nothing new except those stupid speakers.
ever find yourself without headphones? ever wanna show your friends a song and dont have some sort of dock around you? ever wanna just browse through the iTunes store but dont have headphones or a dock to listen to the 30sec previews....theres a lot of things that the speakers could be used for....i mean whats an mp3 player (or at least a high end one) without built in speakers....

slidetounlock
Sep 9, 2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah but really, I mean, the new touch is not impressive at all

t0mat0
Sep 9, 2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah but really, I mean, the new touch is not impressive at all

The Nike+ presumably might find it's way to the next iPhone. Plus, the integration into new apps will be pretty great. Thinner to boot. A decent show Apple put on.

orpheusmyth
Sep 9, 2008, 01:01 PM
ever find yourself without headphones? ever wanna show your friends a song and dont have some sort of dock around you? ever wanna just browse through the iTunes store but dont have headphones or a dock to listen to the 30sec previews....theres a lot of things that the speakers could be used for....i mean whats an mp3 player (or at least a high end one) without built in speakers....

Have you ever find yourself in a toilet without paper? OH MY GOD. Please. How many mp3 players do you know without headphones. And the sound from the speakers is always bad bad bad bad.

Paulyboy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:02 PM

Well said. The external speakers are huge for me. Bluetooth would have been nice though.

-PN

Dimwhit
Sep 9, 2008, 01:03 PM

Maybe, but hardly the huge price drops some were talking about. Still $400 for the 32GB, which is pricey.

Still a very nice iPod, though.

Paulyboy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:05 PM
Have you ever find yourself in a toilet without paper? OH MY GOD. Please. How many mp3 players do you know without headphones. And the sound from the speakers is always bad bad bad bad.

That may be true but having speakers give users another option. More options = better. :)

-PN

Mollemand
Sep 9, 2008, 01:05 PM
I was soo hoping for a 64Gb version ...

Back to the waiting game. Perhaps a nano???

I am not, repeat not, about to have a phone in my mp3 player.

Anician
Sep 9, 2008, 01:06 PM
Man, this sucks... My mother's friend just bought my iPod touch for me in Hong Kong last week (I live in Malaysia, it's more expensive here). Any chance she can exchange it for the iPod touch or something?

gloss
Sep 9, 2008, 01:07 PM

Actually, I carry mine around without headphones all the time, because I use it for internet access and organization more than I do for music. If we were talking an iPod nano you might have a point, but the Touch's functionality goes far beyond 'mp3 player'. It's dumb to assume that everyone's going to keep theirs wrapped in headphone cable just in case.

Sound from speakers is fine fine fine if you're using it to show something on YouTube, etc.

The bigger deal here is the built-in volume toggle. Halle-freaking-lujah.

Maybe, but hardly the huge price drops some were talking about. Still $400 for the 32GB, which is pricey.

Still a very nice iPod, though.

Relative to the previous $400 for the 16GB I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 01:07 PM

if its the same speakers as the new 3G iphones and im pretty sure they will be...it will sound just fine. im not telling you to buy one but its a very useful feature for many

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 01:12 PM
I thought speaker was a long shot, but I'm glad they got it into that insanely thin device!

Love everything about the new iPod touch, except: don't like stainless steel backing (scratches too easily..now I have to buy a case or Invis. shield!), Volume controls look extremely tiny (might be hard to find quickly), and it might be too thin? I thought the original was too thin and not very easy to hold, but I hope the curved back makes it easier to hold!

All in all, I can't wait to buy this thing! They said available today...obviously not in stores, but hopefully will be in stores soon!

tucker61
Sep 9, 2008, 01:13 PM
Good - price drop
Good - speakers
Bad - no Bluetooth

Let's see what 2.1 brings.
Fingers crossed for copy and paste.

-Dark Angel-
Sep 9, 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm happy, now I can actually use it as a PDA for my alarms. I just hope they have some nice alarm sounds for calendar appts. External volume controls is also sweet. I hope we can use the new earbuds as well with the mic builtin for voice recording apps. If we can, it is going to be one powerful PDA device.

Dale Sorel
Sep 9, 2008, 01:14 PM

Ever want to piss off whoever is next to you ;)

TallManNY
Sep 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
How are you knowledgeable enough to post on this board but not knowledgeable enough to check the Buy Guide which says in big fraking letters Don't Buy, Update Soon? Did you think the I Rock theme wasn't going to include an update to the iTouch? Did you think they weren't going to update the iTouch after the updated the iPhone?

Yes, you can probably return it easily as your Mom's friend has probably not opened the box.

Man, this sucks... My mother's friend just bought my iPod touch for me in Hong Kong last week (I live in Malaysia, it's more expensive here). Any chance she can exchange it for the iPod touch or something?

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 01:16 PM
Woohoo! Apple store is BACK!

So where the hell is the external speaker?
http://bit.ly/ipodtouch2g

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 01:22 PM
Woohoo! Apple store is BACK!

So where the hell is the external speaker?
http://bit.ly/ipodtouch2g

was wondering that myself...weird

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
was wondering that myself...weird

I hope they didn't mean the retarded MIDI speaker that was in the original iPod touch!

flyers1
Sep 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
anyone know when the new iPod touch will be available in apple stores?

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
I hope they didn't mean the retarded MIDI speaker that was in the original iPod touch!

yea that would be very sucky on Apples part....guess i gotta go demo it in store

vwDavid
Sep 9, 2008, 01:29 PM
Why won't they give use a Microphone for voip, bluetooth A2dp etc. It would rule the market...

fireboyz
Sep 9, 2008, 01:29 PM
I don't think the updates will be enough for me to buy one, I really don't care about the speakers, nike, or external volume controls. I think I'm gonna buy a 32 gig one off their site for 319.00 or off ebay if I can fine one in pristine enough condition. They really dropped the ball with the pricing and not adding GPS.

jbridge
Sep 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
BTW, the prices at the Apple Federal Store (for Federal and/or State employees) are:

iPod Touch 8GB $215, 16GB $281, 32GB $375

http://www.apple.com/federal - then choose "shop for yourself"

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 01:36 PM
BTW, the prices at the Apple Federal Store (for Federal and/or State employees) are:

must you prove that you are a federal worker or does apple take your word for it?

fireboyz
Sep 9, 2008, 01:38 PM

!!!!!! thanks for that, I might be buying a new one after all.

hogfaninga
Sep 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
Big deal. A crappy external speaker, volume control, and Nike+. I will just keep the one I got and wait until really good changes happen.

jbridge
Sep 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
Having said the prices for the federal store, Amazon usually ends up being cheaper - due to the lack of sales tax piled on the final price w/Apple.:apple:

orpheusmyth
Sep 9, 2008, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry but who will buy a new iPod touch and spend money, just because of the built in speakers. We're talking about 200$ or 200 euros. God am I the only guy who thinks it's quite stupid to buy a new one? If you guys don't have a iPod touch I really think it's an amazing device to get. But if you already have one what's the point? Why not keep that money to buy in the future a MBP or something?

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 01:44 PM
A speaker? ok, that's good.
External volume controls? I really don't care...
Nike+? don't care. I don't exercise much, and when I do I would not use the nike thing... i don't even know much about it.
new design? ok..
price drop? not enough.
software? could be helpful, but that's also a good reason to save 300-400 bucks and keep the one i have now

overall it was a decent update... but I'm not convinced to buy it. I really wanted a $150-200 price drop and a mic.
and maybe 64 gb (with a mic and speaker) for $400 I would buy.

$400 for a speaker and 16 gb is basically what i would be buying... I don't think it is worth it.

they should have just added a mic, gps, and something unexpected... anything. and dropped the price more and I would be buying one ASAP. a speaker just isn't good enough as the only update.

2.1 better have some nice stuff besides "bug fixes"

only
Sep 9, 2008, 01:45 PM
Big deal. A crappy external speaker, volume control, and Nike+. I will just keep the one I got and wait until really good changes happen.

Agreed. I'd rather buy a 1st gen one if stores slash prices to get rid of whatever they have left. This really wasn't much of an update at all.

orpheusmyth
Sep 9, 2008, 01:45 PM

Finally someone smart.

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry but who will buy a new iPod touch and spend money, just because of the built in speakers. We're talking about 200$ or 200 euros. God am I the only guy who thinks it's quite stupid to buy a new one? If you guys don't have a iPod touch I really think it's an amazing device to get. But if you already have one what's the point? Why not keep that money to buy in the future a MBP or something?

I agree. maybe not buying a MBP... but definitely save your money if you're thinking about buying a new touch for a speaker.

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
why would anyone tell someone how to spend their money or if their stupid for buying something just for a little more functionality...maybe we just want it more than you do, maybe we have the money to do so, or maybe we just wanna help the economy. whatever the reason let people do what they want and dont call them out for it. you can say what YOU dont like about the product and YOUR reasons for YOU not buying it but dont make a person feel dumb for not feeling the same way you do.

fireboyz
Sep 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
must you prove that you are a federal worker or does apple take your word for it?

Apparently so.....I actually work for the state so it isn't problem for me, but it let me order it with any type of proof or state id number or anything. I swear if getting a discount from apple is this easy I should have been doing this eariler:p.....

NothingShocking
Sep 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
They still clost too much. $350 would be a nice price for the 32gb.

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 02:04 PM
why would anyone tell someone how to spend their money or if their stupid for buying something just for a little more functionality...maybe we just want it more than you do, maybe we have the money to do so, or maybe we just wanna help the economy. whatever the reason let people do what they want and dont call them out for it. you can say what YOU dont like about the product and YOUR reasons for YOU not buying it but dont make a person feel dumb for not feeling the same way you do.

Well,
1. No one has to listen to what anyone else says on these forums
2. "telling someone how to spend their money" should be taken as ADVICE, as in, people trying to tell other people that they should at least think a little bit before they buy a speaker that MAY not be good. it could be great, i realize that.
3. sorry if you found it offensive, I really doubt that's what anyone was trying to do lol... we all have opinions

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 02:08 PM
Well,
1. No one has to listen to what anyone else says on these forums
2. "telling someone how to spend their money" should be taken as ADVICE, as in, people trying to tell other people that they should at least think a little bit before they buy a speaker that MAY not be good. it could be great, i realize that.
3. sorry if you found it offensive, I really doubt that's what anyone was trying to do lol... we all have opinions

yea its cool...not offended...sorry if it sounded that way...im a bit annoyed right now so I might be taking it out on the internet

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 02:10 PM
yea its cool...not offended...sorry if it sounded that way...im a bit annoyed right now so I might be taking it out on the internet

thanks for the warning ;)

btw how did you get a 160gb ps3? external hard drive or do they have 160 gig model?

ajenda
Sep 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
It seems everyone is upset that the only changes were the speaker, vol controls and nike. Personally, I think $100 Price drop is outstanding in itself~ I just ordered mine!
My husband paid $499 for the 32gb and we use it all the time. Every time we take a trip in the car (usually at night) I watch at least 2 movies.

Phish311
Sep 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
Can you run multiple apps at a time. For example, can i be listening to music, have my AIM client open while playing a game? Thanks

aphxtwinin
Sep 9, 2008, 02:14 PM
thanks for the warning ;)

btw how did you get a 160gb ps3? external hard drive or do they have 160 gig model?

well in November there coming out with a 160Gb PS3 but I have a launch 60gb i just switched out the internal for a bigger one...its super easy to do and it does not void your warranty. I think the biggest you can get right now is 320 or 500gb. it can be any 3rd party hdd it just has to be SATA and 5400rpm...it can be 7400 but your ps3 will run warmer.

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 02:16 PM
well in November there coming out with a 160Gb PS3 but I have a launch 60gb i just switched out the internal for a bigger one...its super easy to do and it does not void your warranty. I think the biggest you can get right now is 320 or 500gb.

I'm definitely gonna do that!

(I haz 80gig MGS4 bundle. I don't really like MGS4 that much anyway haha)

Anyway... I'm gonna stop posting about this in this board.

ajenda
Sep 9, 2008, 02:18 PM
You can get a military discount over the phone and get it for $375. You can also do the trade up in the store by turning ANY old ipod classic or nano for i believe an extra 10% off.

California King
As for the speaker situation:

"As Jobs stated in the keynote, the built-in speaker really is for casual listening, as it's not loud enough to cut through the crowds here. But when held to the ear, it sounds decent enough for what it is." -Gizmodo.

So no speaker holes...:(

aphxtwinin
I'm definitely gonna do that!

(I haz 80gig MGS4 bundle. I don't really like MGS4 that much anyway haha)

Anyway... I'm gonna stop posting about this in this board.

MGS4 is amazing but to each their own. if you have any PS3 questions send me a PM...im pretty much a sony rep when it comes to ps3's

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
You can get a military discount over the phone and get it for $375. You can also do the trade up in the store by turning ANY old ipod classic or nano for i believe an extra 10% off.

what about a really old iPod Mini? does that count.

and if you turn in more than one do you get a larger discount?

Phish311
Can you run multiple aps at a time. For example, can i be listening to music, have my AIM client open while playing a game? I asked earlier but got no response. This is my last question (maybe) before i go to buy this badboy. Thanks

4DThinker
Whew. Now I don't have to buy the new one. No bluetooth and there is no point in upgrading. They could have left off the volume controls if they had included BlueTooth.

Speaker? "Not for Audiophiles". First person to get one please let us know if it sounds any better than the typical cell phone speaker.

PMB
Sep 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
i dig the looks, but unless i can get rid of my current one, so i dont have to shell out more cash, i will be sticking with my 1st gen

orpheusmyth
Sep 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
As for the speaker situation:

"As Jobs stated in the keynote, the built-in speaker really is for casual listening, as it's not loud enough to cut through the crowds here. But when held to the ear, it sounds decent enough for what it is." -Gizmodo.

So no speaker holes...:(

How can I say this. Hummm LOL :P

4DThinker
Sep 9, 2008, 02:25 PM
Got iTunes 8. It informed me my Touch had a new firmware available, but then failed to find the resource. After a few tries it now tells me 2.02 is the latest.

Guess I'll wait. Use the timeto figure out what the Genius bar is all about.

Viremia
Sep 9, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm happy with the updates on 2 fronts. First, already owning a Touch, I don't feel compelled to run out and get the new version due to some massively awesome new features. And secondly, it a good, modest revision with very nice features. They improved on the 1st gen and made an iPod that is even better and will likely sell pretty well (for an expensive MP3 player and game device). That will inspire Apple to continue improving on it and perhaps by the next iteration I'll be in the market for a new one.

I do like the new features they added, but I would still like to see a GPS, which would make the Touch pretty much "untouchable" by any other non-phone device.

sailortena
Sep 9, 2008, 02:28 PM
Anyone know generally after Apple announcements the new products are available for order at resellers? Particularly Amazon. I have a GC there that is totally burning a hole in my pocket.

I am SO excited to get a 32g iPod Touch! The iPod that I do have, is an old 4gig iPod mini in blue. It still works, but, ya know. I want to watch movies on the go, play games, have a little PDA-type assistant. I will also totally use that new Nike-iPod thing, since I like to walk. :D

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 02:31 PM
Got iTunes 8. It informed me my Touch had a new firmware available, but then failed to find the resource. After a few tries it now tells me 2.02 is the latest.

Guess I'll wait. Use the timeto figure out what the Genius bar is all about.

Is it really called the Genius Bar?
I'm afraid that may cause mass confusion between the Genius Bar in Apple stores and the Genius Bar in iTunes

zathras
Sep 9, 2008, 02:31 PM
i just ordered one from Amazon - listed as out of stock and the page keeps on blinking into and out of existence from their Touch page. Ships with Amazon Prime so 3.99 next day air...

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 02:32 PM
How can I say this. Hummm LOL :P

lol, forgot to add this: "the speaker doesn't sound like complete trash despite not even having any speaker holes" Engadget.

If you were wondering where I knew about the no speaker holes....

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/09/ipod-touch-2g-first-hands-on/

madmaxmedia
Sep 9, 2008, 02:33 PM
Why won't they give use a Microphone for voip, bluetooth A2dp etc. It would rule the market...

The new headphone with control and microphone is listed as being compatible with the 2nd gen Touch0 it explicitly states the mic and remote are supported. So there's your mic.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770

4DThinker
Sep 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
Is it really called the Genius Bar?
I'm afraid that may cause mass confusion between the Genius Bar in Apple stores and the Genius Bar in iTunes
"Genius Sidebar". My mistake.

dubmick
Sep 9, 2008, 03:02 PM
quick question, a friend of mine bought a Touch in the San Fran store the other day. He hasn't opened the box, can he exchange it for the new model?

Lesser Evets
Sep 9, 2008, 03:19 PM
Does anyone have access to dimension data on the 1G Touch?

I am curious if all the old accessories will be fine with the new Touch or if they are now too small/big/misshapen.

ajenda
Sep 9, 2008, 03:23 PM
So....now what happens to the older model 32gb that are still selling for $459-499 especially on places like amazon. Do they sell them below the price of the new ones? That would be a huge price difference.
I cant imagine they would sell both models with the new model at a lower price :confused:

drb6
Sep 9, 2008, 03:26 PM

Oh really? Thats great. Will they take one thats not working anymore as well?

ajenda
Sep 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
quick question, a friend of mine bought a Touch in the San Fran store the other day. He hasn't opened the box, can he exchange it for the new model?

Sounds like a silly quesiton..Im sure they have the information in the computer as to when he bought it. He should have the receipt if he just bought it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ajenda
Sep 9, 2008, 03:28 PM
Oh really? Thats great. Will they take one thats not working anymore as well?
Thats right ..it does not have to work~ I think it excludes used shuffles. Its basically a recycling program.

fbboi999
Sep 9, 2008, 03:32 PM
Thats right ..it does not have to work~ I think it excludes used shuffles. Its basically a recycling program.

repeating my question... do they take old ipod mini's?

and if you give them more than one does it give you more of a discount? (like 10% per ipod or something?)

drb6
Sep 9, 2008, 03:37 PM

Awesome! Thanks, will try it out.

CorTeX
Sep 9, 2008, 03:41 PM
is the new ipod touch on amazon yet ?

mmoosa
Sep 9, 2008, 03:49 PM
Apple online store shows the 32gb ipod touch for 279 whereas elsewhere on the site it says its 289.....hmmmmm grab it while you can maybe. hehe. I just hope it is actually supposed to be 279 but that doesnt seem right as amazon has them for 289.

ajenda
Sep 9, 2008, 04:15 PM
repeating my question... do they take old ipod mini's?

and if you give them more than one does it give you more of a discount? (like 10% per ipod or something?)

I dont think they would allow more than one. I suggest you call your local store for the details. Im just the messenger

ajenda
Sep 9, 2008, 04:17 PM
Apple online store shows the 32gb ipod touch for 279 whereas elsewhere on the site it says its 289.....hmmmmm grab it while you can maybe. hehe. I just hope it is actually supposed to be 279 but that doesnt seem right as amazon has them for 289.

I cant find the link on amazon for the new one.

tonyshucraft
Sep 9, 2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-touch-2nd-Generation/dp/B001FA1O0E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1220995325&sr=1-8

tonyshucraft
Sep 9, 2008, 04:27 PM
I just wonder how long it will take for it to get onto bestbuy.com. I have $65 worth of reward certificates. That is about the difference between the 8 and the 16 gig.

sportfan6197
Sep 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
has anyone else seen the new video guide at apple.com? the games are AWESOME. i'm kinda dissapointed that the touch didn't get the gps or camera, but i think by febary they might at least make the maps on the touch a little better. i'm also happy about no more app crashes!!!!!!!!!!!!