Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
The previous iPod touch works in my car but the 2G one doesn't. :confused:Why cant Apple come out with an update so the new iPod touch works with car radios. I have to use my old 2 gb nano now in my car because thats the only other iPod I have. I'm disappointed in the iPod touch 2G. My old Dell Axim X30 works much better than the touch. The touch's saffari is always getting messed up and exits for no reason.

Is there a pda that is (almost) as thin as the touch and gets wifi? If you add a big sd card to it, it will be better than the touch. Plus you can use Opera browser which is much better than safari. You can also copy/paste, use Microsoft Office, and play all formats of video without converting every video to iPod format.

I will admit, the iPod touch is a lot sexier than any pda that I know of.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
theres no software to enable it to work in the car.

apple changed the way it charges to USB instead of firewire (maybe 2 make it thinner?) and thats y it duznt charge.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
why do people do this???

buy products without looking to see if it meets there needs?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I just assumed that it would work with all iPod considering it has the same connectors (looks the same).

well, alright on this issue ill have to actually side with you. I beleive it was only recently that they changed things up so that 5V doesnt work (Thats what I read on here anyway.)

Srry to hear about your troubles, mayb you should sell your accessories on ebay and pick yourself up some new goodies that will work?:)

Rockrover

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
From a marketing and 'built in obsolescence' perspective it makes perfect sense. Apple re-invents itself and you get to buy a whole new slew of accessories you already had. Most are gladly willing to pay for it because it means a shinny new widget. And we all loooooove new shinny stuff!

How many car charges do you have for your cell phones? I've got a handful.

The Touch is the best game in town and Apple knows it. And we all get to pay twice if we want to be one of the cool kids.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Are you kidding me? From a marketing and 'built in obsolescence' perspective it makes perfect sense. Apple re-invents itself and you get to buy a whole new slew of accessories you already had. Most are gladly willing to pay for it because it means a shinny new widget. And we all loooooove new shinny stuff!

im really confused:confused:

what am i supposedly kidding about?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

apple changed the way it charges to USB instead of firewire (maybe 2 make it thinner?) and thats y it duznt charge.

And if you knew anything about the iPod touch you'd know that the 2nd gen is actually thicker than the 1st gen.

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
From a marketing and 'built in obsolescence' perspective it makes perfect sense. Apple re-invents itself and you get to buy a whole new slew of accessories you already had. Most are gladly willing to pay for it because it means a shinny new widget. And we all loooooove new shinny stuff!

The Touch is the best game in town and Apple knows it. And we all get to pay twice if we want to be one of the cool kids.

I probably would do that but I dont know what iPod accessory to work that would plug into my car. I'm going with the idea of just selling the touch. How much would a 16 gb used touch go for on ebay?

What I was saying before. If a manufacturer, such as Sony, Dell, HP, etc. came out with a "pda" like touch that was as skinny as the touch but ran Windows Mobile operating system it would be way better than the touch's software with all of their restrictions. With how cheap memory is now (I paid $20 for an 8gb microSD card) you can easily just add a memory card and have a nice ipod like pda.

I would pay $300+ for that over an iPod because I would get Microsoft Office, Opera web browser, Skype, stream live tv, use bluetooth, watch any format video, download stuff strait onto the pda using wifi, and more. My main point is that my 5 year old Axim has many more features that the ipod touch and cost only $120 (5 years ago) + I can add 16 gb for less than $50 (link). If they came out with an updated version that was sexier (skinny) it would make tons of money and be much better than the super restricted ipod touch.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I probably would do that but I dont know what iPod accessory to work that would plug into my car. I'm going with the idea of just selling the touch. How much would a 16 gb used touch go for on ebay?

What I was saying before. If a manufacturer, such as Sony, Dell, HP, etc. came out with a "pda" like touch that was as skinny as the touch but ran Windows Mobile operating system it would be way better than the touch's software with all of their restrictions. With how cheap memory is now (I paid $20 for an 8gb microSD card) you can easily just add a memory card and have a nice ipod like pda.

I would pay $300+ for that over an iPod because I would get Microsoft Office, Opera web browser, Skype, stream live tv, use bluetooth, watch any format video, download stuff strait onto the pda using wifi, and more. My main point is that my 5 year old Axim has many more features that the ipod touch and cost only $120 (5 years ago) + I can add 16 gb for less than $50 (link). If they came out with an updated version that was sexier (skinny) it would make tons of money and be much better than the super restricted ipod touch.

seems your in the market for a pda, can I ask why you bought a touch?

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
seems your in the market for a pda, can I ask why you bought a touch?

So it would work in my car :rolleyes: and it looks sexy as hell :D. Now I'm thinking of just selling it and buying a fully loaded pda with gps, bluetooth, 16 gb sdhc card, windows office, tomtom or garmin (stolen of course ;)) for about the same price as the touch. All of my "apps" for the pda will come via bittorrent.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

USB and firewire chipsets are the same size. Also, I don't know about the touch, but my iPhone and iPod are USB2. Apple has been using USB2 for quite awhile.

And a side note for you. Spelling doesn't as duznt only saves you from typing one letter, better yet typing does not will only require you to place a space between the words. Frankly duznt looks stupid.

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I want an iPod Touch 2gen !

I'll sell it to you for $290 with over 400 songs on it plus a $25 belkin case, $25 invisibleshield, and some movies and paid apps :D.

This will probably end up going on ebay sooner or later.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
So it would work in my car :rolleyes: and it looks sexy as hell :D. Now I'm thinking of just selling it and buying a fully loaded pda with gps, bluetooth, 16 gb sdhc card, windows office, tomtom or garmin (stolen of course ;)) for about the same price as the touch. All of my "apps" for the pda will come via bittorrent.

You know what, you should get rid of the Touch and get a different manufacturer's PDA. You've already stated SEVERAL times that Touch has nothing over your old Dell and you're one of the very few that states that they prefer Windows Mobile to the OS X system. The iPod Touch does read the entire MS Office suite, PDF's and all text formats out of the box without any additional software. You sound like you are just an angry person because you can't run your iPod in your car.

The iPod Touch is the best in class against any other PDA, it's so good that you bought on looks alone so if you're angry be angry at yourself for not checking it out or wandering this forum before you made your purchase.

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I'm think I've found my answer. The HTC Touch HD once it comes out. I'll get that depending on how much the service cost.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The first line of your auction is a lie for your reason for selling it. This is why people don't like buying on Ebay because the seller isn't honest. :p The next buyer should know that it didn't work in your car so they don't get burned like you seemingly did.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Windows is basically a FAIL version of Mac OS. And mobile is a FAIL version of Windows. It's so confusing to use. There is a task manager for god's sake. It's hard to navigate, there aren't any apps (yet, until ms rips off the app store), and it's a pain in the ... you know. But... if that's what you want to use, then go for it. Stop complaining, you should know what you're buying before you lay down the cash. My friend (rich spoiled brat) got the iPhone and he doesn't know it can play music. Heck, he thought it was a ZunePhone (didn't look at the back) until I told him.......... So know what you're buying before you buy it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
well, alright on this issue ill have to actually side with you. I beleive it was only recently that they changed things up so that 5V doesnt work (Thats what I read on here anyway.)

Srry to hear about your troubles, mayb you should sell your accessories on ebay and pick yourself up some new goodies that will work?:)

The change is actually so only 5v works. Apple have made it very clear for a while that 12v charging via the firewire pins is deprecated and shouldn't be used on new accessories, but manufacturers ignored the information (particularly with in-car accessories because it's far easier to use the 12v input from a 12v car battery...). Apple have now made good on their warnings and removed the 12v charging capability from newer devices.
You can get adapters to use old accessories but they're not cheap (see this discussion for more info)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
is there any cheap usb to ipod adaptor? because i have two car chargers that have a USB output. i use one of them to charge an ipod nano through a belkin radio transmitter. works fine so i guess any car charger for USB devices would work.

if that can be made to work for ipods connected to car stereos i don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.