Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Just reporting that I have received mine, and it works fine. While the price is ridiculously steep, afaik, it's the only option out there right now, and having two cars with Ipod integration that would not charge my iPhone was unacceptable.

To extend this conversation a little bit further; while I understand that Apple notified accessory makers of this change in design a long time ago, I think that Apple did a lousy job of handling what is, imo, a major design change. They did virtually nothing to notify consumers, and, frankly, even more unbelievably, they didn't manufacture an adapter like this themselves. Millions of people have all sorts of chargers and docks (many of them integrated into devices that won't work with this adapter) and Apple decided to render all of them useless with their newest devices in one fell swoop, with no significant warning, and without providing a solution. I own 4 iPods and an iPhone (all still in use, two of which will only charge via Firewire) but Apple gets a big thumbs down for this one.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I even have some USB charging devices that don't work. One is a cigarette lighter adapter that simply terminates in a powered USB plug. Plug in the USB cable that came with the iPhone and what do you get? Nothing.

It charges my Motorola phones just fine (these use USB to charge also), but the iPhone refuses. What a pain.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I too have a couple of those cigarette to usb chargers that don't work with the iphone. One of them also refuses to work with my 5th gen ipod. It was only about $5 though, so no big deal. What was a big deal was when the $500 or so I have invested in car integration wouldn't work with my iphone. :mad:

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I too have a couple of those cigarette to usb chargers that don't work with the iphone. One of them also refuses to work with my 5th gen ipod.

A friend here at work had an adapter that would not charge via usb so we took a good one apart and measured things. It seems that the ipod / iphone also want to see the usb data pins pulled hi / low via a resistor along with power on the usb power pins. As soon as we hacked one up and added the resistors it started charging.

- James

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Does the adapter get hot? Are you happy with it?

I have noticed that it gets warm, but not particularly hot, although I also have not yet used it for an extended period of time. I'm happy with it in that it allows me to charge and use my iphone through my car stereo as I can with all my other Ipods. It's a bit large, and probably a bit fragile as it adds another set of connections, but it's also the only game in town right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.