Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Well, Apple has been telling manufacturers to stop supporting Firewire for charging for a while now and now Apple finally pulled the plug on Firewire (pun intended) and those manufactures that didn't listen is leaving their customers high-and-dry. Also, I read the specs about the new iPhone and iPod touch and I do not see anywhere where they claim to charge via FireWire anymore.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
The change is actually so only 5v works. Apple have made it very clear for a while that 12v charging via the firewire pins is deprecated and shouldn't be used on new accessories, but manufacturers ignored the information (particularly with in-car accessories because it's far easier to use the 12v input from a 12v car battery...). Apple have now made good on their warnings and removed the 12v charging capability from newer devices.
You can get adapters to use old accessories but they're not cheap (see this discussion for more info)

They may as well have just changed the port itself as it is just as helpful. Nothing like throwing out perfectly good equipment because Apple decides backwards compatability is useless.

So let me go buy a another $100 iHome, another $30 car adapter another $x wall adapter..... Good to see my $400 Touch really costs a minimum $550 or so.

Not a good way to keep customer satisfaction/loyalty.

Regardless of what Apple said to the manufactuers there are a lot of people out there with perfectly good equipment that is useless for charging iPods.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The change is actually so only 5v works. Apple have made it very clear for a while that 12v charging via the firewire pins is deprecated and shouldn't be used on new accessories, but manufacturers ignored the information (particularly with in-car accessories because it's far easier to use the 12v input from a 12v car battery...). Apple have now made good on their warnings and removed the 12v charging capability from newer devices.
You can get adapters to use old accessories but they're not cheap (see this discussion for more info)

oh, my mistake, i could only remember 5v and 12v and made my statement. The thing i love about this site is theres no shortage of people to prove you wrong:p

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
The first line of your auction is a lie for your reason for selling it. This is why people don't like buying on Ebay because the seller isn't honest. :p The next buyer should know that it didn't work in your car so they don't get burned like you seemingly did.

I do need the money :p :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.