PDA

View Full Version : The perfect multi-button mouse?

evolu
Feb 1, 2004, 12:08 AM
I have been on a quest for the perfect mouse. Like most Mac users, I am picky about my products. For example, I would love a Bluetooth mouse, but I would also like to program Exposé features to the 4+5 buttons and BT at this time does not support that. So I settled with a wired mouse for now.

Here's what I would love:

1. Exposé functionality for buttons 4+5.

2. Track anywhere optics - No Mouse Pad!

3. The ability to program a function for hitting button 1+2 simultaneously (and 4+5 simultaneously as well).

The only driver I know that allows a button 1+2 function is Kensington's Mouseworks. But the Kensington Optical Elite I bought needed a mousepad.

So I bought a Microsoft 5 button mouse, which tracked quite nicely without a mousepad - but there was no options available for button 1+2 functionality.

Any picky people out there come up with the perfect mouse? I've read through the forums and it seems most people are asking about Bluetooth Mice.

thanks.

Veldek
Feb 1, 2004, 04:42 AM
I'm interested in this, too. I'm looking for a 6-button mouse to have three buttons for left, right and double click and three buttons for Exposé. I found the Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse, but I'm not sure if one can program the buttons on a Mac so they work as I want them to. Anyone got this mouse?

evolu
Feb 1, 2004, 05:25 AM
By the way - I have my 1+2 programmed so that when they are pressed together they close the active window.

2nd button is a control-click.

Scroll button is a double click.

like so:

evolu
Feb 1, 2004, 05:29 AM
Didn't properly add that picture....

Rincewind42
Feb 1, 2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Veldek
I'm interested in this, too. I'm looking for a 6-button mouse to have three buttons for left, right and double click and three buttons for Exposé. I found the Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse, but I'm not sure if one can program the buttons on a Mac so they work as I want them to. Anyone got this mouse?

I just got it a week ago and am loving it. Didn't install the software for it tho (I bought it for the button placement and shape :) ). The fact that it's 6 buttons makes it nice for me, as I have the 2 side & the center button programed on Exposé.

My only complaint so far is that MOH doesn't seem to recognize the 6th button, but I can't exactly fault the mouse for that :cool:

Edit: just saw on another topic that someone said that Logitech's drivers will allow you to program the buttons. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58413

Veldek
Feb 1, 2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Rincewind42
I just got it a week ago and am loving it. Didn't install the software for it tho (I bought it for the button placement and shape :) ). The fact that it's 6 buttons makes it nice for me, as I have the 2 side & the center button programed on Exposé.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear ;) Now I'm just waiting for the G5 speed increases... :D

lucab1982
Feb 1, 2004, 01:32 PM
Nah, BT mice are rubbish.

I tried a BT Microsoft Mouse, so inaccurate and although the buttons are nice, it's just awful.

Stick to the cabled one's for the moment, faster better responsiveness, better products.:D

Iron Rogue
Feb 1, 2004, 02:10 PM
Try the Kensington Expert Mouse. Its actually an optical trackball with four programmable buttons and scroll ring.

bnemesis
Feb 1, 2004, 10:40 PM
if you are a gamer, Razer the maker of the Boomslang 2100dpi and 1500dpi gaming mice are bringing out a new optical mouse that is 1000dpi. Should be nice and smooth. No release date on it yet.

If I remember right, Razer's mice have the traditional two buttons + scrollwheel/third button. They also have two additional buttons positioned where your thumb and ring finger would sit.

If you have nothing against ball mice, the two current mice are on sale.
:)

http://www.razerzone.com

Westside guy
Feb 2, 2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by evolu
I have been on a quest for the perfect mouse. Like most Mac users, I am picky about my products. For example, I would love a Bluetooth mouse, but I would also like to program Exposé features to the 4+5 buttons and BT at this time does not support that.

Unless you mean something different than I think you mean, you're wrong about the Bluetooth mice. I've got Microsoft's BT mouse, and have buttons 4 and 5 mapped to Exposé. Matter of fact that's all they're useable for, since there are no MS drivers (so you have to rely on what Apple has built into the system).

nargot
Feb 13, 2004, 10:23 PM
Best wireless mouse is the logitech mx700 RF mouse (and keyboard rocks as well)

if you want bluetooth get the BT version of the mouse, whatever the code for that is will be at...
http://www.logitech.com

djbahdow01
Feb 14, 2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by nargot
Best wireless mouse is the logitech mx700 RF mouse (and keyboard rocks as well)

I agree i have had the Cordless MX Duo for about a month now and it is the greatest mouse and keyboard i have used. It is fully Mac compatable (OSX) and although i haven't used it on a Mac yet as i am waiting for rev. B of the G5 i am sure it will work wonders on the Mac as well. The mouse is rechargable and i normally get a good week without charging.

MacBandit
Feb 14, 2004, 12:27 AM
I don't understand the desire to use the mouse without a pad. A well designed pad will offer a much smoother cleaner surface that will make the mouse feel like it's gliding on air.

nargot
Feb 14, 2004, 02:02 AM
forgot to say, that all 7 mouse buttons are programable through the logitech control panel in OSX

TBR
Feb 14, 2004, 05:36 AM
I have the logiteck MX 700 and it's great....not sure about expose button mapping (still using Jaguar) but I can't see why not...

It's a eight button mouse and scroll and every button is useful, you can even map applescripts to the buttons.

I have

Left Click
Right Click
Close Window
Quit Program
Open Applications Folder
Open Safari
Send to trash
Empty Trash

I could never go back to a one button mouse and lose these really useful short cuts.

Achtung_U2
Feb 14, 2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by nargot
Best wireless mouse is the logitech mx700 RF mouse (and keyboard rocks as well) if you want bluetooth get the BT version of the mouse

Thanks for the info...

That MX Duo looks like a great value....

but, WOW.... the DiNovo is beautiful, wish i had the extra $$$ to blow on that setup.

snowdog
Feb 14, 2004, 07:41 AM
I have a Logitech MX500 and I love it.

Have a look at Logitech's latest beauty
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,crid=3,contentid=8070,detail=2

I'm sorry but I've no idea if you can configure 2 buttons simultaneously.
But it has 8 buttons though, so hopefully you wont run out of options.

7on
Feb 15, 2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=012

Booya!

Torajima
Feb 15, 2004, 03:23 PM
The Kensington Optical Elite is the best multi-button mouse I have ever used. And it does *NOT* need a mouse pad... as I certaintly don't use one.

Only problem I've had with it tracking is when a bit of cat hair got stuck over the laser... just keep it clean, and you'll be fine.

nargot
Feb 15, 2004, 03:54 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/m...ls.aspx?pid=012

nasty... i just couldn't bring myself to by something from microsloth

flyfish29
Feb 15, 2004, 09:03 PM
I too have the MX500 and love it. Can't do everythingwith it ,b ut the forward and back buttons work with Safari, there are two top buttons, two thumb forward and back buttons, and the scroll wheel is a button as well which are all programmable to some extent with the software...I am using Jag. still do don't know about expose. Most all buttons are programmable to allow for 1-3 clicks, click lock, or right click (to get drop down menu) which all seem to work well with all programs. They can be programmed for most any key and a modifier key ie shift, command, etc. In addition you can have any button open an application, eject a CD, open a web page, document, folder, switch application, sound control, etc. Very flexible.

MX300 is not as many buttons and smaller

MX500 and MX700 are exactly the same except for rechargable batter/cordless feature. There are a number of rebates out there now...check logitech web site, stapels, as well as Amazon for rebates. MY MX500 only cost me 29 bucks...was retailing for 50 most places, but I got it at amazon with a coupon downloaded from logitech for 15 rebate a while back...amazon was on ly 44 bucks at the time.

aswitcher
Feb 16, 2004, 01:16 AM
The MX900 should be also considered - bluetooth MX700 effectively.

Diatribe
Feb 16, 2004, 01:36 AM
The MX900 should be also considered - bluetooth MX700 effectively.

Why should anyone consider the mx900 when it doesn't even let you programm all of the buttons? Since the mx900 isn't supported by logitech, at least for mac it isn't, it's not worth a whole lot.

aswitcher
Feb 16, 2004, 01:46 AM
True, the MX900 isn't fully programmable. Its a limitation I still hope they patch. But reports on its use and those buttons that can be programmed have been favourable. If they patch it, I think it would be a front runner.

IDANNY
Feb 16, 2004, 02:05 AM
http://www.macmice.com/themouse.html

But it only has two buttons

Diatribe
Feb 16, 2004, 02:08 AM
I agree with you that it's a nice piece of equipment. But, and here comes a big but, it has one major drawback. It doesn't have an on/off button. Why would you consider a bt mouse over rf? For a desktop solution you'll need the charger anyway, thus you could get the mx700. The only reason I see is to get a bt mouse for a laptop which you would desperately need an on/off button for.
So while I see your point, I don't thinks it's viable towards chosing the mx900 over the mx700.

Westside guy
Feb 16, 2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Diatribe
Why should anyone consider the mx900 when it doesn't even let you programm all of the buttons? Since the mx900 isn't supported by logitech, at least for mac it isn't, it's not worth a whole lot.

Since the original poster said he wanted buttons 4 and 5 to be used for Expose, and since that is what OS X sets them to by default (without any external drivers), I'm not sure how that equates to "not worth a whole lot". :D

Diatribe
Feb 16, 2004, 07:01 AM
Since the original poster said he wanted buttons 4 and 5 to be used for Expose, and since that is what OS X sets them to by default (without any external drivers), I'm not sure how that equates to "not worth a whole lot".

It all depends on the point of view I guess. :D
And it all depends on what you consider buttons 4 and 5. Because the buttons you consider 4 and 5 are my buttons for back and forth in my browser which I would never trade to use them with expose, but then again thats just me. And limiting your options to have something that you don't need for a desktop setup (bluetooth) would be just weird.
Just my $.02

kristo
Feb 16, 2004, 08:14 AM
I have a mx900 and its fine. I basically wanted it for the BT connectivity, it tracks fine without a pad and is accurate if you ask me (I am not going for headshots or anything) and the extra buttons can be mapped to expose stuff (which is what i have)

also, it doesnt have a off button, but i can just open it up, pop a battery out when i chuck it in my backpack, then at night dump the thing in its charger....

easy if you aint too lazy :)

oh and also, it has buttons over the scroll wheel (which works as well) and they work fine as well to scroll pages up or down in small increments (a wheel alternative i guess)

Sol
Feb 16, 2004, 08:47 AM
There was an optical USB mouse from Logitech with force-feedback. Too bad it is not easy to find.

Dave00
Feb 16, 2004, 10:29 AM
I've looked all over for this but can't seem to find it. I have a TV with DVI input in one room, planning on putting a G5 in the next once I've save enough cash. I'd like to run a video cable from the office (where the G5 would reside) to the living room where the TV is, and be able to work on the big screen while laying on my couch.

Seems the easiest way to do this would be with a wireless keyboard/pointing device combo that didn't have a problem going through what I assume is simply drywall. Problem with a mouse would be you'd need a surface.

Any ideas?

MacBandit
Feb 16, 2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Dave00
I've looked all over for this but can't seem to find it. I have a TV with DVI input in one room, planning on putting a G5 in the next once I've save enough cash. I'd like to run a video cable from the office (where the G5 would reside) to the living room where the TV is, and be able to work on the big screen while laying on my couch.

Seems the easiest way to do this would be with a wireless keyboard/pointing device combo that didn't have a problem going through what I assume is simply drywall. Problem with a mouse would be you'd need a surface.

Any ideas?

Well if you don't have a large enough flat surface for a mouse how about a cordless trackball.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=6,CONTENTID=5006

aswitcher
Feb 16, 2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Diatribe
I agree with you that it's a nice piece of equipment. But, and here comes a big but, it has one major drawback. It doesn't have an on/off button. Why would you consider a bt mouse over rf? For a desktop solution you'll need the charger anyway, thus you could get the mx700. The only reason I see is to get a bt mouse for a laptop which you would desperately need an on/off button for.
So while I see your point, I don't thinks it's viable towards chosing the mx900 over the mx700.

I like the bluetooth because:
- I want to use it with a PB as you have mentioned.
- I want good range when I have it attached to the TV or to a projector and the laptop is more than a few meters away
- I want NO interference hastles, nor do I want it interfering with other things - BT handles that nicely

I agree, shame about the lack of an off/on button

Diatribe
Feb 17, 2004, 05:14 AM
I see your point. Personally, I love my mx700 and I would buy the mx900 right away if it had two things: mac support (I just can't live without by back browser button anymore) and an on/off button. Call me lazy, but I don't feel like taking batteries out every time I take it with me. Other than that it's one awsome little mouse. Let's just hope that Logitech realizes that a on/off button and mac support are the way to go... although I highly doubt it. :(

Squire
Feb 17, 2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Dave00

Any ideas?

You need...

The Gyration Ultra GT Cordless Optical mouse.
---------------------------
GENERAL FEATURES

Extra long 30 foot radio range

High power radio with multiple device capability and digital security features

Plug 'n play USB, no special drivers or software needed

2-year limited parts and labor warranty

ULTRA MOUSE FEATURES

Gyroscopic motion sensor for use off the desktop

Ultra precise optical sensor - no moving parts to wear out or get dirty. Mouse pad not required

Long life rechargeable NiMH battery with convenient desktop charging cradle

GyroTools Media Control software for Microsoft Windows

Ergonomically designed for comfortable desktop & in-air use

Windows and Mac compatible scroll wheel€

----------------------------
Hope this helps.
Check it out at: www.gyration.com

Squire

<edit: Here's a Tom's Hardware review of it as well.>
http://www17.tomshardware.com/game/20040131/index.html