PDA

View Full Version : High Quality iTunes-Pepsi Superbowl Ad

MacRumors
Feb 1, 2004, 02:57 AM
In case you missed it... or wanted a copy for archive... Apple has posted (http://www.apple.com/itunes/pepsi/ads/) a high quality version of the iTunes/Pepsi Superbowl ad which will be aired on Feb 1st, 2004.

An early copy (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040128173412.shtml) leaked onto the internet on Wednesday and was mirrored by a number of sites.

The official version is essentially the same.

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 03:04 AM
Interesting...

I wonder how often commercials are available online before they're aired during the SB...?

mvc
Feb 1, 2004, 03:09 AM
Yeah, that does seem a little odd…

OSXpert
Feb 1, 2004, 03:16 AM
Anyone try out the bottle cap number shown on the screen (1828D2DD55)? it says one free song on the ad, so as a consumer i have to assume apple is giving everyone who watches the ad and copies the number down a chance to win that song.

Also the CD she is looking at is Green Days SuperHits album....but that album doesn't contain "I fought the law" so theres some defininite inconsistancies there. Furthermore, im being an idiot.

walexx
Feb 1, 2004, 03:16 AM
I didnt like it when i first saw the leaked ad, but after seeing the better quality version, I actually like it. I think its growing on me, and I think it will hit its target audience.

You have to remember that people who frequent forums like us tend to be more informed as to whats going on, and as we exhange our opinions we also tend to be more critical. My point is that with that in mind, I think the masses will like it and take notice of it, and the kids out there will definately go for it.

Great advertising for Apple and like the 100 million tunes Pepsi are giving away, Apple also gets free advertising.

I just hope there will be some bottles left for me to purchase when I visit Hawaii next month. I want 3 bottles to keep for memorabilia sake :).

mac15
Feb 1, 2004, 03:38 AM
It has a really artistic appeal to it but I'm not sure if it caries over in one viewing. A few viewings and it really grows on you

bdkennedy1
Feb 1, 2004, 03:47 AM
The cheapest and low quality commercial Pepsi has made and they're showing it in high quality. How redundant.

jnasato
Feb 1, 2004, 04:16 AM
edit: wrong thread?!
what th'...

herschel
Feb 1, 2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by walexx
... I actually like it. I think its growing on me, and I think it will hit its target audience.

... I think the masses will like it and take notice of it, and the kids out there will definately go for it.

Well, IMHO, the one thing that kids really hate is 'cheese', and this is the cheesiest ad I've seen in a long time.

Actually, following on from the ad about the guy who was 'blown out of his house by the awesome G5' (not just cheesy, but banned in the UK for being economical with the truth), I'm beginning to wonder who Apple thinks their target audience is...

Matthé
Feb 1, 2004, 05:43 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35259.html

Stike
Feb 1, 2004, 05:53 AM
BTW if anyone is interested: The "I fought the law" song is now available on iTMS ;) :D

Mark James
Feb 1, 2004, 06:13 AM
The voice-over is revolting. It's the sound of a 37 year old classically trained actress trying to sound like a gormless 14 year old.

Never heard Green Day's 'I Fought The Law' before. It really adds something to the original, doesn't it? No? Oh.

barkmonster
Feb 1, 2004, 06:18 AM
The girl in the advert's kind of cute. I take this comment back if she's under 16 of course ;)

I hate greenday even more that I used to now. What a crappy, punk by numbers cover that is.

As for the ad, it's actually pretty good, almost funny after reading that guy on the register's article about how much it's making him cry like the mac bashing, record industry hating, self rightous cretin he obviously is.

Blaaze
Feb 1, 2004, 06:18 AM
still a pretty bad commercial IMO...well not bad, but not Apple-quality.

mbuna
Feb 1, 2004, 06:24 AM
Did anyone note that the leaked version and the official version are cut differently? For example, in the leaked version, when he's showing the bottle cap, the text is below the cap (and the cap distracted your attention away from the text) whereas in the real version the cap focuses out and the text scrolls up over it from below.

This might give a clue to where the leak came from, since it's clearly a pre-production cut from before it was finished.

true777
Feb 1, 2004, 07:38 AM
I think the idea was excellent, but the execution is mediocre.
The only shot I really liked is the girl starting to laugh in front of the group.
Certainly not Apple caliber... but probably ok for Pepsi.

128KMac
Feb 1, 2004, 08:30 AM
But better than the leaked version :)

Kingsnapped
Feb 1, 2004, 08:44 AM
mbuna, the leaked version also contained a ready-to-chromakey green iMac screen with no glare on the girl's eyes.

billyboy
Feb 1, 2004, 08:47 AM
Is it me, (yes Probably), but it is really hard to make out when she says "for free". like she needed to take a breath halfway through the sentence.

Iroganai
Feb 1, 2004, 08:56 AM
Maybe it does not appear in my Japanese version of iTunes?
or will Apple release a new version soon?
:confused:

Edit: I just found one:
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/pepsiFreeSongWizard
I was amazed by the iTunes' html implementation... It does not need software rewrite to do the Pepsi promotion! maybe we could hope Safari for Windows soon.

Bernd
Feb 1, 2004, 09:12 AM
I like the new cut. It is much better:p

cartmill72
Feb 1, 2004, 09:47 AM
Just to add to the differences...

In the leaked version she says, "in front of 100 million people."

In the Apple-posted version she says, "in front of everyone."

I'm speculating the change was made because it has to have a longer shelf life than just the Super Bowl. 100 million people won't be watching TRL where it will be played over and over and over and....

aethier
Feb 1, 2004, 09:55 AM
"13. SPONSOR: This promotion is sponsored by Pepsi-Cola Company, Purchase, New York 10577. Apple Computer, Inc., is not a sponsor of this promotion."

i guess that is why the commercial is not up to par, with apple commercial standards

aeathier

JeffTL
Feb 1, 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by aethier
"13. SPONSOR: This promotion is sponsored by Pepsi-Cola Company, Purchase, New York 10577. Apple Computer, Inc., is not a sponsor of this promotion."

i guess that is why the commercial is not up to par, with apple commercial standards

aeathier

Much agreed. It's actually pretty good for a Pepsi ad, though; we can't expect everyone to have advertisements as good as Apple's. It's better than the Ditech mortgage ads :)

restiffbard
Feb 1, 2004, 10:28 AM
The "I fought the law" single from Green Day is now in the iTMS.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=5305681&selectedItemId=5305679

Selecter
Feb 1, 2004, 10:56 AM
Yes, pepsi paid for the ad. There is no downside to this. Apple and pepsi will both CLEAN UP.

No new product introduction either. :P

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by OSXpert
Anyone try out the bottle cap number shown on the screen (1828D2DD55)?

Yeah, I tried it... didn't work... I guess I'll have to have someone save their bottle caps for me...

I wish there were a healthy compromise for those of us with Crohn's Disease (http://www.ccfa.org/). I can't have soda (b/c of carbonation, sugar, besides other things), so I drink Lipton tea in 20-24 oz bottles instead. :(

Apple/Pepsi, could you please put some bottlecaps in the mail for me? ;)

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
Is it me, (yes Probably), but it is really hard to make out when she says "for free". like she needed to take a breath halfway through the sentence.

Yeah, I think it's already been determined that she can't speak perfectly... Just like most of the other 99.999% of the population (especially when we're on mic in front of a camera).

I've had to record shows with kids-teens for my city cable channel, and she's better than most of the people I've taped, so I have no complaints; it makes the commercial a little less 'corporate'.

pbrennen
Feb 1, 2004, 11:19 AM
she can't speak perfectly? she has a joisy accent, that's all.

hotwire132002
Feb 1, 2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
Yeah, I think it's already been determined that she can't speak perfectly... Just like most of the other 99.999% of the population (especially when we're on mic in front of a camera).

I've had to record shows with kids-teens for my city cable channel, and she's better than most of the people I've taped, so I have no complaints; it makes the commercial a little less 'corporate'.

I think the fact that she's not exactly smooth on camera inforces the impression that's she's a real person who was really sued and not an actress.

JGowan
Feb 1, 2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by jnasato
I think it would make sense if Apple did something very similar to the 1984 ad, in the sense that it would be very vague and moving.When selling a computer (or any other high-priced item [car]), you can be, as you put it, "very vague and moving" -- you're wanting people to wonder what they're missing and to make sure they include your company when they're investigating and getting educated about what to get. The pricier an item is, the more people tend to try and educate themselves about all of the details of the purchase so that they get the most bang for the buck. There's too much to try and say in 30 seconds so being mysterious works.

When you're selling SODA, you have to be straight-and-to-the-point: EDUCATE your audience quickly. 30 seconds is all the time you have (it's soda, remember) so it makes no sense to be ambiguous. You've got to let the MASSES know immediately that there is a REWARD for switching brands. It's a vice, really. My bet is that Cigarettes, Beer and Soda are about the 3 hardest things to get the majority of people to change. So you have to let them know about the immediate PAYOFF they'll get when they do go a different route in their soda-buying.

PEPSI + YELLOW ITUNES CAP = FREE MUSIC

With all of the Hooplah in the news about downloading music (first, just that kids are doing it and the Recording Industry is going nuts and secondly, that RIAA is now prosecuting lots and lots of people for thousands in fines) -- using said Hooplah is really the best way to sell the ad. Also, the song is perfect. And they whole upbeat fun vibe of the commercial ISN'T pointing fingers and trying to shell out guilt to those of America who are still downloading music illegally, but instead is sheepishly saying "Yeah we got caught, but what you don't know is.... "

Lastly, the fact that they're using the approach of ANARCHY ("we're still going to d/l songs for free off the internet and there's nothing that anyone can do") appeals to kids who don't want to be told what to do (anymore than adults do, honestly) -- is perfect.

It's giving kids a legal "out" to have fun.

I think the ad couldn't be better, considering what they're trying to accomplish: sell soda.

MrMacMan
Feb 1, 2004, 12:27 PM
Yes, its still a horrible commerical...

and YES its a Pepsi commerical not an Apple commerical, but it still sucks.

i hope the kids in the advertisement got a billion free songs of iTMS... really, come on.

Sell your soul signing and RIAA contract to never download stuff off the internet... and then humiliating yourself again proclaming you got caught.

Bah.
RIAA - Wins.
Pepsi -- Neutral, expect for Apple Users, then its a plus.
Apple -- Bad. Ad bites the big one.

rickvanr
Feb 1, 2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by OSXpert
Anyone try out the bottle cap number shown on the screen (1828D2DD55)? it says one free song on the ad, so as a consumer i have to assume apple is giving everyone who watches the ad and copies the number down a chance to win that song.

no such luck
altho i live outside of the usa

Trowaman
Feb 1, 2004, 12:35 PM
u guys are aware that the girl is the 12 year old who they sued? The one that got a huge hooplah made about her. Yeah, choose the most famous of the kids to speak out and no one still notices her.

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by bullethead
Anyone see this on the hotmail login site?
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kevin.bent/hotmail.jpg

They're using the image from the 1984 commercial.

Ha ha ha! That's funny... But the picture didn't show up in your post, so I decided to put it here:

appleguru1
Feb 1, 2004, 01:03 PM
Hmmm... HMMM! Maybe apple does have something up their sleeves for us 8)

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by appleguru1
Hmmm... HMMM! Maybe apple does have something up their sleeves for us 8)

If you're implying something concerning the post above... Maybe Apple released the MyDoom virus to hurt Microsoft, and, meanwhile, hacked into the MS website and put in that picture...

Later today, the Microsoft website will be replaced by a reference to the Apple Homepage, then Apple's homepage will say something like: "Apple today purchased Microsoft while Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer were watching the Super Bowl on their little Archos media player."

Or not :p

sethypoo
Feb 1, 2004, 01:18 PM
Well, just to add my 2 cents, I like the ad, I think it's well done. It just needs to mention Apple a little more often.

It's a good ad!

anodized
Feb 1, 2004, 01:32 PM
For an Apple ad -- it's horrible. For a Pepsi ad, it's alright. And it is a Pepsi ad. ;)

Otherwise, I think it'll convey well what it's supposed to do.

... right? :confused:

Timothy
Feb 1, 2004, 01:50 PM
This is a lousy ad.

What's more, I'm not sure that it will endear the record labels to either Apple or Pepsi. Drawing attention to the lawsuits seems in bad taste for a company that his now in business with those same companies; especially when there are ongoing negotiations concerning access to additional music.

Finally, I don't think this add communicates its message clearly at all.

I'm quite disappointed.

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by JGowan
When selling a computer (or any other high-priced item [car]), you can be, as you put it, "very vague and moving" ...

When you're selling SODA, you have to be straight-and-to-the-point...

Uh... his comment about being 'vague and moving' was about the possibility of an actual Apple ad, not about the Pepsi+iTunes ad. FYI.

Your Mac Life
Feb 1, 2004, 02:07 PM
"An early copy leaked onto the internet on Wednesday and was mirrored by a number of sites."

I don't know where all the other web sites got the downloadable version (although, I suspect they got it from Your Mac Life), Your Mac Life did not "leak" the version we broadcast.

It was given to us by Pepsi. The story is available here:
http://forums.yourmaclife.com/viewtopic.php?t=5180

mproud
Feb 1, 2004, 02:10 PM
Just saw it for the first time.

Awww, it's cute :)

winmacguy
Feb 1, 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Matthé
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35259.html

Thanks for the link. Very interesting articles. Pretty accurate too I would say. As long as PC owning Americans get out buy Pepsi and start downloading songs to give Apple more market share then I think you could say that the ads have worked.

Go Pepsi and Go Apple!!!

Never mind that kids will rot their teeth on fizzy sugar water and that millions of teenage Americans are getting fat and obese from sitting around all day and all night over eating on McDonalds and playing Xbox and doing no exercise and then sueing McDonalds for "making them fat"-( Only in America ;))

Never Mind righteous morals and ethics about what is right and wrong out there. Who ever is the person who can come up with the best legal argument to sway the jury to their way of thinking will win the booty at the end of the day. Because that is the way the US system works. If your wondering what all this has to do with Pepsis ad, go read the article from the link above. :)

Your Mac Life
Feb 1, 2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by winmacguy
[B]Thanks for the link. Very interesting articles. Pretty accurate too I would say.
Umm...not even close.

Orlowski is known for the axe he has to grind with Apple. He says, "This shameful advertisement - which apparently cost the Apple Computer company as much as $2 million..."

Apple didn't pay a dime for the ad. It's not an Apple ad. It's a Pepsi ad.

Apple had *nothing* to do with the ad. Steve Jobs would have approved the final version but that's as far as it would go with Apple's involvement.

Orlowski is an idiot and this "article" reflects that.

MacFan25
Feb 1, 2004, 02:36 PM
I didn't think the ad was all too great, but I do think it got the message out. And I think that there will be a lot of people who log onto iTunes.com tomorrow.

I think a lot of people will just be amazed that they're giving away 100 million songs.

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 03:09 PM
Only 2 hours, ~15 minutes 'till the ad plays (for those of us in the States, who are becoming fat and lazy :p )

:D

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 03:35 PM
Looking at these ads (http://www.pepsi.com/ads_and_history/index.php) , one would think this ad is pretty good (but I did like the Wiener with the Pepsi... :) )

Trekkie
Feb 1, 2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Blaaze
still a pretty bad commercial IMO...well not bad, but not Apple-quality.

yeah because it's a pepsi commercial. Otherwise the hardware would be more than eye candy

Grimace
Feb 1, 2004, 03:38 PM
is there a streaming link (like MWSF) of the superbowl? I'm at work and can't escape (no tv)

jimsowden
Feb 1, 2004, 03:42 PM
I noticed on her computer she has the old apple pro keyboard, jaguar background, and a purple iTunes icon in her dock, indicating iTunes 3, which doesn't have the store, which is wierd since the store is on her screen. Man, i'm a nerd.

mainemike
Feb 1, 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by winmacguy

Go Pepsi and Go Apple!!!

Just returned this afternoon from a ski trip and I noticed lots of Pepsi bottles with yellow caps on them scattered all over the tables at the ski lodge.

Nobody seemed to take much notice of the caps at all.....I'd say the recycling bin had a few dozen or so empty bottles with the caps still on them.

Perhaps more coverage will get people to take a second look at the yellow caps, but if the ski lodge was any sort of barometer, MOST of the songs will go unclaimed.

Time to rummage through some recycling bins!

:eek:

rock6079
Feb 1, 2004, 03:43 PM
first of all.. like some other people have said. i did not like the ad at first. but this more "post-production", "high-quality" bversion on apple.com as grown on me. but for an ad at the superbowl, you don't want an ad that someone has to see 3 or 4 times b4 they really "get it", especially someone who doesn't know all of what this is all about.

anywase.

i noticed that in the commercial, "Apple Computer" is actually never referred to. it is only iTunes. also this seems a little gramatically wrong..

when the three girls are laughing and there is a title that says "Download Music at iTunes". well "at" refers to a place. they don;t say "At itunes.COM", just "At itunes".

shouldnt it really say downlaod musuc "With" iTunes. or "on" itunes lol.

i also think they don't leave the titles on for long enough.

Trekkie
Feb 1, 2004, 03:45 PM
Apple/Pepsi, could you please put some bottlecaps in the mail for me? ;)

I don't drink pepsi, not going to start either. I'd rather pay iTunes my $0.99 upfront instead of buying that gunk (for a dollar) and only having a 1 in 3 chance of getting what I really want

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by jimsowden
I noticed on her computer she has the old apple pro keyboard, jaguar background, and a purple iTunes icon in her dock, indicating iTunes 3, which doesn't have the store, which is wierd since the store is on her screen. Man, i'm a nerd.

Well, I'm impressed. Perhaps it shows better at higher res (I d/l'd the medium version), but I had to stare at it a while to convince myself that you were right. Of course, from what I understand, the screen is actually just editted in, so it's probably a PS composite starting from some stock screenshot that they had in their archives. Unfortunately, that screenshot seems to have been made with iTunes 3. Or, perhaps with a beta of iTunes 4 before they changed the icon...

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
is there a streaming link (like MWSF) of the superbowl? I'm at work and can't escape (no tv)

I think CBS.com *might* be streaming it... I didn't see anything that would suggest it, though; I do know that CBS has little videos from different features...

Speaking of CBS.com, it seems that Pepsi has sponsored the Super Bowl's site on CBS.com — a picture from the page:

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by jimsowden

Confirmed!:

neutrino23
Feb 1, 2004, 04:35 PM
The ad is not bad but the rationale is not very good. It's kind of a snotty, "I was guilty but I'm going to keep doing it." This is OK. It would be better if they had something that was more redemptive at a deep level. Kind of like turning the devilish downloader into the angelic iTunes user. It doesn't have to be obvious but it works at a deeper level.

ElGreco
Feb 1, 2004, 06:16 PM
How cool,

Apple did show the 1984 ad. And nobody knew it in advance. Except that I had hoped for something spectacular...

Greco

mustang_dvs
Feb 1, 2004, 06:18 PM
The ad just aired... I'm still unimpressed...

You'd think that advertising people would realize that text in ALL CAPS is very hard to read, especially when it's a sans-serif font...

Go Panthers!

Performfreak
Feb 1, 2004, 06:18 PM
just saw the ad, seemed identical to the one they posted on the site, good stuff though

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 06:19 PM
It finally aired!!! (6:18 CST)

I thought the text stayed up long enough... Looked okay, especially compared to all the other LAME commercials. Reminds me of y2k, when all the dumb Internet-company commercials were playing! Argh!

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ElGreco
How cool,

Apple did show the 1984 ad. And nobody knew it in advance. Except that I had hoped for something spectacular...

Greco

When did you see that?!? I've watched since about 30 mins before Super Bowl (on CBS), and no Apple commercial...

ElGreco
Feb 1, 2004, 06:22 PM
Which commercial did you see? 1984 or Pepsi? Because in German Pay-TV ("Premiere") the old 1984 commercial just aired.

Greco

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 06:24 PM
at 6:18, Central time (US), I saw the ad on Apple's website... no 1984 ad on CBS in the US... Odd that Apple would play 1984 in other countries, but no us...

btw, 1984 won 4th place on CBS's web poll of greatest Superbowl commercials.

ElGreco
Feb 1, 2004, 06:25 PM
I saw the 1984 ad about two minutes before my initial posting. But I am getting the idea that this German Pay TV I am watching does in fact replace commercial breaks for other stuff. But then again, why should they exchange it for another commercial they are not being payed for?

I have come up with two solutions:

1. There are some enthusiastic Apple Evangelists working at "Premiere" Pay TV

2. Apple Germany has decided to place a commercial in the German SuperBowl show. Must have been a lot cheaper than in the USA...

Greco

Performfreak
Feb 1, 2004, 06:26 PM
it makes sense they didn't play the pepsi/itunes ad outside of the US since the promotion is only valid in the US.

That's probably why some people saw the 1984 ad... maybe it was the filler for the empty spot the pepsi/itunes ad created internationally?

Your Mac Life
Feb 1, 2004, 06:27 PM
Odd that Apple would play 1984 in other countries, but no us...
Not that odd. The Pepsi/iTunes "contest" isn't available any where else in the world.

ElGreco
Feb 1, 2004, 06:33 PM
I don't think it was a replacement for the Pepsi ad, because in German Pay-TV there is almost no advertising. Above all, SuperBowl is by far not as important as in the US here in Germany.

greco

TranceClubMusic
Feb 1, 2004, 06:36 PM
:o

the_mole1314
Feb 1, 2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Performfreak
it makes sense they didn't play the pepsi/itunes ad outside of the US since the promotion is only valid in the US.

That's probably why some people saw the 1984 ad... maybe it was the filler for the empty spot the pepsi/itunes ad created internationally?

You know, that makes a lot of sense. I think thats the answer. But the question is this, is it the old 1984 or the new iPod 1984?

bensisko
Feb 1, 2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Your Mac Life
Not that odd. The Pepsi/iTunes "contest" isn't available any where else in the world.

Except that Pepsi paid for the commercial, not Apple....

realityisterror
looks pretty green to me...

0 and A ai
shh the more important ad is coming up soon.

;)

ThomasJefferson
Feb 1, 2004, 07:27 PM
Big Yawn ...
Someone wake me up for the 25th Anniv.

deputy_doofy
Feb 1, 2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by realityisterror
looks pretty green to me...

We are inclined to agree with you on this. We studied the high quality Apple-posted version, and that iTunes icon is not purple. It is green. Green wins.

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
shh the more important ad is coming up soon.

;)

It'd be nice to have a good ad; only the Budweiser one with the donkey, and the Lays one with the old people have been on par with Superbowl greats of the past... The other Pepsi ones — guy in diner, etc. — have been dull.

Also, "AOL Top Speed Halftime Show" is terrible! Boring boring boring (I'm not even watching it right now... good time for MacRumor input) :o

taylan
Feb 1, 2004, 07:47 PM
it's the worst ad ever, but this is not surprising, taking into consideration the low quality ads made by pepsi all the time. they are an aggressive company in ad policy, and that doesn't suit apple's image. i think that coke would have been a much a better ally for apple.

but more importantly, where is apple in that ad? i don't see the apple logo, and it only says pepsi + itunes. i think this is even more stupid, what are they going to do now, separate apple computer and itunes + ipod?

imho, this whole thing stinks. and who cares if apple reaches bigger masses? this would just be a problem for the loyal apple fans. i don't want another microsoft, i don't want a bigger share of the pc market, i just want good support and the good old apple we can trust.

Your Mac Life
Feb 1, 2004, 07:51 PM
but more importantly, where is apple in that ad?
Why would there be an Apple logo? It isn't an Apple ad.

taylan
Feb 1, 2004, 07:54 PM
Why would there be an Apple logo? It isn't an Apple ad.

then why is apple showing the ad on its web site?

is itunes a specific brand? i don't think so. they could have at least said apple itunes...

well at least i find it really odd.

rdowns
Feb 1, 2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by taylan
then why is apple showing the ad on its web site?

is itunes a specific brand? i don't think so. they could have at least said apple itunes...

well at least i find it really odd.

Yes, iTunes is a brand. It is called the iTunes Music Store, not the Apple iTMS. No Apple logo at the iTMS.

Apple is showing it because it is an ongoing promotion involving one of their brands.

geerlingguy
Feb 1, 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
Yes, iTunes is a brand. It is called the iTunes Music Store, not the Apple iTMS. No Apple logo at the iTMS.

Apple is showing it because it is an ongoing promotion involving one of their brands.

Ha ha ha... I like this:

"Re: Re: Re: bad bad bad"

taylan
Feb 1, 2004, 08:45 PM
Ha ha ha... I like this:

"Re: Re: Re: bad bad bad"

:)

i didn't know itunes was a separate brand... then it comes back to what i said before, itunes and macintosh (not apple then) don't have anything to do with each other in that sense. maybe they will really separate the two in the future, who knows.

i still think there should have been a strong relation between the two though, it may be identical for us, but after this ad people will not see apple and itunes as the same thing.

rdowns
Feb 1, 2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by taylan
:)

i didn't know itunes was a separate brand... then it comes back to what i said before, itunes and macintosh (not apple then) don't have anything to do with each other in that sense. maybe they will really separate the two in the future, who knows.

i still think there should have been a strong relation between the two though, it may be identical for us, but after this ad people will not see apple and itunes as the same thing.

Apple has many brands: PowerMac, PowerBook, iBook,iMac, iPod, iTunes just like lots of other companies.

Pepsi has Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mtn Dew, Sierra Mist ec.

pbrennen
Feb 1, 2004, 09:44 PM
so uh, was there an apple ad during the superbowl? i stopped watching the game after the halftime show. worst superbowl i can remember.

Trowaman
Feb 1, 2004, 09:51 PM
Well, I was in my college's lounge when the ad aired and at the announcement of free music downloads the people around me (most with out iTunes) began cheering. Almost brought a tear to my eye. It was great.

Your Mac Life
Feb 1, 2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by pbrennen
[B]so uh, was there an apple ad during the superbowl?
<sigh> There was *no* Apple ad. Apple said they weren't buying one *months* ago but no one seemed to believe them.

Wonder Boy
Feb 1, 2004, 10:04 PM
how do you let a super bowl go by without making a statement about your flagship product over the last 20 years birth? bad form apple, bad form. someone should be fired. bunch of idiots at apple. the apple logo is coming off my truck tomorrow.

i hate the patriots. i hate them. id rather use a pc for the rest of my life than have them win another superbowl.

btw, im from connecticut

marco114
Feb 1, 2004, 10:10 PM
Ok, did anyone else see this? I couldn't believe it. My 7-year old son says "I saw a boob!"

http://www.drudgereport.com/

SFNE Freak
Feb 1, 2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
how do you let a super bowl go by without making a statement about your flagship product for the last 20 years birth? bad form apple, bad form. someone should be fired. bunch of idiots at apple. the apple logo is coming off my truck tomorrow.

i hate the patriots. i hate them. id rather use a pc for the rest of my life than have them win another superbowl.

btw, im from connecticut
Is that S DUB in your location short for S DUBYA, which would be short for South Windsor?

Anyways, that SuperBowl got so bitchin' at the end. Go Pats!

Edit: Gasp! Checked out your website and I was right! We are sworn enemies, for I am from Vernon (Rockville). ;)

JereIC
Feb 1, 2004, 10:12 PM
As a counter to Trowaman, in my college lounge, the ad got a "What the hell?" and then booed. And most of them use iTunes on a daily basis. Worst day of my life.

Daschund
Feb 1, 2004, 10:17 PM
I think that the ad is perfect for the target audience (which, for those of you who still didn't get, is NOT you - unless you are a teenager) And, as it was said already, on the college campus there was much excitement when it aired (for non Mac lovers), proving one more time that it's hitting its target...

Daschund

Your Mac Life
Feb 1, 2004, 10:20 PM
[B]how do you let a super bowl go by without making a statement about your flagship product for the last 20 years birth?
Steve Jobs has no interest in reflecting on the past.

MegaSignal
Feb 1, 2004, 10:26 PM
Well, a big fat nothing from a game I simply have no interest in. No, even the beautiful Janet couldn't interest me. All I wanted was a speed bump so that a dual 2.0 G5 would be cheaper for me to aquire...

Clearly, people, it is far easier to hype soda and music downloads than it is to design and implement a faster G5, a new form factor for the iMac, a cooler G5 for the laptops, or whatever it was that YOU were looking for.

But do not fret; as an earlier poster stated so eloquently, eventually WE'LL BE RIGHT with regard to all of the above...sooner or later, Apple will deliver.

BTW: Who won?

taylan
Feb 1, 2004, 10:28 PM
yes, it is over, who cares now... at the end it was again the mac fans who didn't get anything.

nice job apple.

bensisko
Feb 1, 2004, 10:36 PM

...which is why they digitally remastered the 1984 ad and added an iPod?

I think Jobs has interest in the past... assuming it will make him (and/or Apple) more money.

Wonder Boy
Feb 1, 2004, 10:38 PM

perhaps, BUT since they launched something revolutoinary on superbowl sunday 1984, it would have been nice to blow everyone away (again) 20 years later.

splashman
Feb 1, 2004, 10:45 PM
how do you let a super bowl go by without making a statement about your flagship product for the last 20 years birth? bad form apple, bad form. someone should be fired. bunch of idiots at apple. the apple logo is coming off my truck tomorrow.

??????

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.

Wonder Boy
Feb 1, 2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by splashman
??????

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.

ok, im kidding

im also lying. the white apple sticker goes!

Uragon
Feb 1, 2004, 11:42 PM
On it's 20th anniversary, is this what apple can come up? To be diabetically dependent with iTunes?

taylan
Feb 2, 2004, 12:06 AM
yes, it is interesting, because i don't think this is a normal customer/manufacturer relation we see here. normally, it must be apple dying to sell its products to us.

ok we are fans, but still, everything has a limit. look at us, we are so eager to spend our money on a new product and we are begging the people at apple to give us something to buy.

i mean, it's nice to be a loyal fan, but it may be more productive for both sides if we were a little more realistic about the situation, just a little bit.

well, i know at least that i won't be going out to buy the first product they announce, whether it is due in a week or a month. i learned my lesson from the problems i had with my ibook and emac.

michaelb
Feb 2, 2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by deputy_doofy
that iTunes icon is not purple. It is green. Green wins.

Purple? Green? That'd be the NTSC TV system at work - Never Twice the Same Color!

(Sorry... we here in Australia get few opportunities to boast about superior tech.)

Back on topic, I'd assume the kids' ad appearance fees covered their legal expenses, so maybe they came out ahead. Now for my nitpick: the kids were busted using Kazaa, so why the iMac in front of the girl? Oh, subliminal advertising.

geerlingguy
Feb 2, 2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by marco114
Ok, did anyone else see this? I couldn't believe it. My 7-year old son says "I saw a boob!"

Totally uncalled for... That was the worst halftime show I've ever seen! :mad: Can't anyone produce something innovative!!! Like in 2002, the U2 halftime show was kind of neat. It seems that decency is out the window (i.e. Janet's revealing, all the rest of the 'pimpin' Hip Hopers doing the bump and grind, etc.), creativity is all but dead, and sex rules when it comes to mainstream media... COME ON, FOLKS! Let's have some decent fun; no need to offend people (hint hint MTV)!

Trowaman
Feb 2, 2004, 07:58 AM
Totally uncalled for... That was the worst halftime show I've ever seen! :mad: Can't anyone produce something innovative!!! Like in 2002, the U2 halftime show was kind of neat. It seems that decency is out the window (i.e. Janet's revealing, all the rest of the 'pimpin' Hip Hopers doing the bump and grind, etc.), creativity is all but dead, and sex rules when it comes to mainstream media... COME ON, FOLKS! Let's have some decent fun; no need to offend people (hint hint MTV)!

Actually, it was an accident.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1484738/02012004/jackson_janet.jhtml?headlines=true

I found it shockingly . . . well, ya know what, I don't hve another word for it, but according to CBS it sems unlikely MTV wil perform another half time show (yay!)

Your Mac Life
Feb 2, 2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Trowaman
Yeah...right....Janet always walks around with a pastie attached to her breast *just in case*....

jbembe
Feb 2, 2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by marco114

Yeah, apple could have gotten some "intellectual mind-share" if her clever nipple-wear was a silver apple logo!!!

donkey
Feb 2, 2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by restiffbard
The "I fought the law" single from Green Day is now in the iTMS.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=5305681&selectedItemId=5305679

they should have used the clash version they ripped off instead of the cheap imitation.

Frobozz
Feb 2, 2004, 09:23 AM
That is one of the worst commercials I've seen in a long time.

In the words of simon "You might be the WORST commercial I've ever seen. Honestly."

Frobozz
Feb 2, 2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by donkey
they should have used the clash version they ripped off instead of the cheap imitation.

The clash version is a cover, too. It may be a better cover... but it's still a cover.

donkey
Feb 2, 2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Frobozz
The clash version is a cover, too. It may be a better cover... but it's still a cover.

obviously it's a bobby fuller tune, but the clash made it their own. green day still think it's 1977.

geerlingguy
Feb 2, 2004, 10:46 AM

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1484738/02012004/jackson_janet.jhtml?headlines=true

I found it shockingly . . . well, ya know what, I don't hve another word for it, but according to CBS it sems unlikely MTV wil perform another half time show (yay!)

Hmmm... Was it an accident?

Survey says: NO!

Whoever let MTV do a halftime show should be fired. Another reason to dislike media conglomerates... (Viacom owns MTV, CBS, along with hundreds of other big media names)

JeffTL
Feb 2, 2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by michaelb
Purple? Green? That'd be the NTSC TV system at work - Never Twice the Same Color!

(Sorry... we here in Australia get few opportunities to boast about superior tech.)

Back on topic, I'd assume the kids' ad appearance fees covered their legal expenses, so maybe they came out ahead. Now for my nitpick: the kids were busted using Kazaa, so why the iMac in front of the girl? Oh, subliminal advertising.

Because they always use Macs on television. I saw some numbers once that said that if you went by television appearances, you'd think Apple has 90% market share.

Also, it's really either that or a beige box, and let's face it: an iMac is eyecatching

Trowaman
Feb 2, 2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah...right....Janet always walks around with a pastie attached to her breast *just in case*....

That's there for a reason in stage performance where quick costume changes are necessary. They are changing fully in a very public hallway and it is needed for the actress/singer's personal protection.

cgmpowers
Feb 2, 2004, 01:44 PM
I am really getting irritated, hehe.

I have visited the following locations, and yet to find ANY yellow iTunes capped Pepsi products.

Sam's Discount Club
Walmart
Target
7-11
Mobil
Walgreens
2 seperate grocery stores

I'm heading to QuickTrip in a few hours, in hopes to find some iTunes bottles.

Christopher

hotwire132002
Feb 2, 2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by cgmpowers
I am really getting irritated, hehe.

I have visited the following locations, and yet to find ANY yellow iTunes capped Pepsi products.

Sam's Discount Club
Walmart
Target
7-11
Mobil
Walgreens
2 seperate grocery stores

I'm heading to QuickTrip in a few hours, in hopes to find some iTunes bottles.

Christopher

I'm pretty ticked off too. I figured the reason I couldn't find any iTunes Pepsi was that I'm in the middle of nowhere in Northern Michigan, but I guess I'm not the only one with this problem!

jbembe
Feb 2, 2004, 05:15 PM
I haven't been able to locate any in Dallas either (!!!), but I've only checked three locations.

rjwill246
Feb 2, 2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by michaelb

I had to reply to that. For over a decade the chroma/hue problems of NTSC have long been banished. Bright NONFLICKERING pictures can be viewed in daylight. PAL flicker drives me crazy unless I'm in a totally dark room. 50Hz fluoros against checkered floors are really hideous as well. NTSC could do with a few more active lines but on today's HDTV sets, 480p is stunning... and no flicker! :-)

bluetypewriter
Feb 2, 2004, 06:07 PM
Just came from my local 7-11 store (just slightly north of Dallas TX) and noticed that I get a chance to win on Big Gulps and slurpies. Got myself a Big Gulp of Dr Pepper and am now enjoying "Think (let tomorrow be" by sebadoh.

dontmatter
Feb 2, 2004, 06:25 PM
So, something nobody's mentioned yet: who's paying? We know pepsi paid for the add, that's a lousy 2.3 million. But, 100 million songs? Apple couldn't be collecting
$100 million from pepsi, but then again, supposedly the profit margin is razor thin to nonexistant with the music store, and it's whole purpose is to sell ipods. In which case, maybe pepsi is paying the 60 cents or whatever it is to the music labels, and apple is sucking up the distribution costs, or pepsi is covering that too? This could be a big cost, or a small profit to apple, depending on the deal. Either way, a lot of money is being thrown around.

So, who knows how?

Edit: must also remember, no way this would happen, no matter how the price was split, if the real rate was 33 cents per pepsi. Wonder how many songs will actually be puchased with codes?

splashman
Feb 2, 2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by dontmatter
So, something nobody's mentioned yet: who's paying? We know pepsi paid for the add, that's a lousy 2.3 million. But, 100 million songs? Apple couldn't be collecting
$100 million from pepsi, but then again, supposedly the profit margin is razor thin to nonexistant with the music store, and it's whole purpose is to sell ipods. In which case, maybe pepsi is paying the 60 cents or whatever it is to the music labels, and apple is sucking up the distribution costs, or pepsi is covering that too? This could be a big cost, or a small profit to apple, depending on the deal. Either way, a lot of money is being thrown around.

So, who knows how?

Edit: must also remember, no way this would happen, no matter how the price was split, if the real rate was 33 cents per pepsi. Wonder how many songs will actually be puchased with codes?

This is not the first thread related to the Pepsi promotion, and lots of people have speculated as to how the costs are split, or if Apple is paying anything at all. Fact is, nobody knows (yet).

But only a certain percentage of winning caps will actually be redeemed (I'd guess less than 1/3). Whatever happens, this isn't going to cost either Pepsi or Apple very much (compared to their annual profits, I mean).

jbembe
Feb 2, 2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by bluetypewriter
Just came from my local 7-11 store (just slightly north of Dallas TX) and noticed that I get a chance to win on Big Gulps and slurpies. Got myself a Big Gulp of Dr Pepper and am now enjoying "Think (let tomorrow be" by sebadoh.

COOL. The future is bright, full of slurpeeeeees...

splashman
Feb 2, 2004, 07:13 PM
That's there for a reason in stage performance where quick costume changes are necessary. They are changing fully in a very public hallway and it is needed for the actress/singer's personal protection.

Ha ha ha. Personal protection? You're kidding, right?

An actress concerned about privacy or modesty (unlikely in the first place) will feel so much better by wearing a metal nipple shield held on by a pin piercing her nipple? Please!

This thing was planned, including JJ's reaction. The only thing more pathetic was Justin's explanation: "wardrobe malfuntion". Har har har.

My wife commented that metal nipple shields are now going to be all the rage. I'm afraid she's right. Kinda like teenagers wearing "visible underwear" underneath white t-shirts, now it's going to be "visible nipple jewelry". <Gag>

hotwire132002
Feb 3, 2004, 07:24 AM
Has anyone else here noticed that the Pepsi-iTunes ads are now everywhere on the internet? I've seen them on Yahoo's home page, various news sites, my Yahoo email...