PDA

View Full Version : Virgin to launch fastest web connection in UK

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2008, 04:11 AM
Virgin Media will today launch the fastest internet connection in the UK when it unveils its new super-fast 50Mb a second service.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/dec/15/digitalmedia-virginmedia

Good luck in trying to get through to customer services to switch over without a hiccup in your billing

The product, which Virgin Media claims is nine times the speed of the average broadband speed currently enjoyed by users, has been in testing for almost a year.

Details of the new product, such as pricing and, crucially, the number of UK internet users that will be able to sign up for the service will be unveiled later today. At best, Virgin Media's network passes only half of the UK's homes.

Oh, so you can't get cable? Sucks to be you.

But of course, the biggest news about this announcement?

Virgin Media's new 50Mb service is being "switched on" by the former S Club 7 singer Rachel Stevens.

Teh w00tness personified.

Best thing about this, while they have a monopoly on this service, is possibly setting off a price war amongst lower speed services. :)

Queso
Dec 15, 2008, 04:33 AM
Still pretty crappy though. In Sweden they had 100Mbps to the home five years ago.

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2008, 04:38 AM
Still pretty crappy though.

Off to The Tower with you. ;)

MacBoobsPro
Dec 15, 2008, 04:40 AM
I was going to start the same thread earlier but then thought... meh... it's Virgin so it won't work anyway.

I was on 10mbps (Fibre) when they were Blueyonder/NTL the day they became Virgin was the day they became crap. More down time than up and crap customer service. Not to mention caps/limits/throttling etc.

Fibre is the way forward but I wont be going back to Virgin (even though my house is still wired) no matter how good the deal as the service is crap.

They also don't seem to be increasing the fibre network either (as far as I can tell) so 90% of the country can't get these speeds anyway.

és:
Dec 15, 2008, 04:41 AM
Good luck in trying to get through to customer services to switch over without a hiccup in your billing

Virgin are much better than NTL used to be. I've not had a single problem with wait times, customer service or the service reliability since they've taken over.

Oh, so you can't get cable? Sucks to be you.

Available to over half the homes (presuming that covers half the people) means 31m people have access to it.

Why all the negativity towards a service that will double current speeds?

Blue Velvet
Dec 15, 2008, 04:42 AM
Why all the negativity towards a service that will double current speeds?

Jealousy. It's the British way. :D

és:
Dec 15, 2008, 04:44 AM
I was going to start the same thread earlier but then thought... meh... it's Virgin so it won't work anyway.

I was on 10mbps (Fibre) when they were Blueyonder/NTL the day they became Virgin was the day they became crap. More down time than up and crap customer service. Not to mention caps/limits/throttling etc.

Fibre is the way forward but I wont be going back to Virgin (even though my house is still wired) no matter how good the deal as the service is crap.

I've had completely opposite experience. Not one second of downtime. I download mega amounts of data and almost never get capped. Fast, excellent service so far and perfect reliability.

Jealousy. It's the British way. :D

:D

I'm just hoping that they will be replacing their 20mb service with 50mb and then their 10mb service (which I'm on) with 20mb - they have been known to do free upgrades.

nick9191
Dec 15, 2008, 04:45 AM
Still pretty crappy though. In Sweden they had 100Mbps to the home five years ago.
And how many servers will actually let you download at that?

és:
Dec 15, 2008, 04:46 AM

Torrenting, Saint Nick. Torrenting.

nick9191
Dec 15, 2008, 04:55 AM
Torrenting, Saint Nick. Torrenting.
I've never got any decent speeds with torrents. I'm sure that new Kylie album will download instantly, but most of the stuff I like is niche, meaning less seeders. Besides Virgin are cracking down on illegal downloads, which is what 90% of the torrents are.

MacBoobsPro
Dec 15, 2008, 04:57 AM
I've had completely opposite experience. Not one second of downtime. I download mega amounts of data and almost never get capped. Fast, excellent service so far and perfect reliability.

I'm just hoping that they will be replacing their 20mb service with 50mb and then their 10mb service (which I'm on) with 20mb - they have been known to do free upgrades.

When they were Blueyonder they were great, I was an advocate of their service so much so I got a few of mates to sign up. Then (literally) the day they became Virgin (probably coincidence) I had no end of problems and they just didn't want to know. I had been with them since 1996 (i Think) when they first launched in Sheffield as Telewest, my modem was the same one as the day we signed up and I thought maybe it had given up but they refused to replace it, even though they give out free ones to new customers. :rolleyes: That was the last straw so I left and took the phone and TV with me. :D Hello Sky!

Queso
Dec 15, 2008, 04:59 AM
You've heard of multi-tasking I take it :p

miniConvert
Dec 15, 2008, 05:15 AM
Well, I'm sure the service will be over-contended and over-managed, but this is still good news. Anything that makes BT's ADSL look outdated is good news for the rest of us.

OllyW
Dec 15, 2008, 05:23 AM

I'm on the 10MB too and have a similar experience to you.

I agree that the customer support has gone downhill since they changed to Virgin and moved the phone support to India. The old Blueyonder support staff were fairly knowledgeable, but the new ones haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

bartelby
Dec 15, 2008, 05:34 AM
I've never had any problems with VM, nor NTL before. I do wonder if it's going to take the same amonut of time to roll out this new sped as it did for the 20mb upgrade.

DoFoT9
Dec 15, 2008, 05:44 AM
and here comes the aussie :):)

were still stuck on ADSL2+ on crappy copper, none of this fibre **** can be seen any further than 100km out of major cities (which only cover like 0.5% of the country).

cant wait until i move into another country or move into the city!! prices are still darn high but.

good to see that you brits are moving up, i daresay the pricing will kill.. what will the upload speed be? i have 20mb up, 1mb down.. hate to be ruled by 1 company that has the monopoly.

MacBoobsPro
Dec 15, 2008, 05:53 AM
and here comes the aussie :):)

were still stuck on ADSL2+ on crappy copper, none of this fibre **** can be seen any further than 100km out of major cities (which only cover like 0.5% of the country).

cant wait until i move into another country or move into the city!! prices are still darn high but.

good to see that you brits are moving up, i daresay the pricing will kill.. what will the upload speed be? i have 20mb up, 1mb down.. hate to be ruled by 1 company that has the monopoly.

Theres only a small percentage covered by Fibre the rest is done on 'crappy copper wire'.

DoFoT9
Dec 15, 2008, 06:00 AM
Theres only a small percentage covered by Fibre the rest is done on 'crappy copper wire'.

yes but at least the option (where its available anyways) is there... in our cities you are more limited than in your cities.

stomer
Dec 15, 2008, 06:12 AM
I'm on the 10MB too and have a similar experience to you.

I agree that the customer support has gone downhill since they changed to Virgin and moved the phone support to India. The old Blueyonder support staff were fairly knowledgeable, but the new ones haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
Ditto. I was a happy NTL customer for about 5 years. Virgin took over and the service turned to ****.

50MBits? Really? How long do you get your super high speed internet before it's traffic shaped.

és:
Dec 15, 2008, 09:09 AM
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/50Mb/index.do

Looks like the deal is £46 for xxl (50mb) broadband and a phone line with M package OR just £51 for the BB without the phone line.

Good thinking on the pricing, Virgin. :rolleyes:

whooleytoo
Dec 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
No mention of contention ratio, which always worries me.

I've a relatively slow 7Mbps connection, but with no contention; and am blissfully happy with it. Once it's fast and stable enough to download >5-6Mbps (the approximate bandwidth required to download a compressed 720p HD movie, such as from Xbox Live), it's good enough for me.

kumbaya
Dec 15, 2008, 10:00 AM
Here in Kenya.... :eek:

Wananchi just launched broadband for £50 per month, the guaranteed speed is 5kbps (<--- NOT a typo)

and a week ago, the whole country was without electricity for about 5 hours

Yorkshire accent:...But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

joepunk
Dec 15, 2008, 01:34 PM
Any capping for you brits or is that just an american company thing like Comcast's 250GB per month cap on download/upload?

Dagless
Dec 15, 2008, 06:04 PM
Well I hope we get this outside of cities and no more false claims.

DoFoT9
Dec 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
Well I hope we get this outside of cities and no more false claims.

BAHAHAHAHA

goodluck with that.

duncyboy
Dec 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
Oh, so you can't get cable? Sucks to be you. Must be something to do with living on a peninsula :(

I hope they announce the service comes with a 5GB per month limit :D

VoR
Dec 15, 2008, 08:31 PM
Virgin have always been very open about their traffic shaping and limits, unlike pretty much every other isp.

Apart from sky (not that I've used it), I'd say their fair use policy is infinitely better than anyone else.

I can't get cable at my current address, our national telephone network makes me cry myself to sleep every night.

Peterkro
Dec 16, 2008, 06:22 AM
Virgin gives with one hand and takes away with the other:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/virgin_bittorrent/

VoR
Dec 16, 2008, 06:37 AM
They do provide a 7 day retention binary newsgroup server though.

What's the alternative? Some shoddy BT wholesale based isp with a bandwidth of 6Mbit.

JG271
Dec 16, 2008, 07:00 AM
Why don't they work on making broadband average speed better, or work at obtaining the speeds they advertise.

I suppose its partly the government not investing in high-speed internet. Add that to the list of "things the government should have done when they had money" :p

nick9191
Dec 16, 2008, 07:07 AM
Any capping for you brits or is that just an american company thing like Comcast's 250GB per month cap on download/upload?

We have whats called a Fair usage policy.

With Virgin, you have unlimited downloads, but if you download more than 5gb between 4pm and 11pm, they will cap your speed to about 4mb, and then continue capping if it carries on, until 11pm.

They also will block torrents if you're excessively using them.

The fair usage policy is basically a way for ISP's to claim unlimited downloads, when they don't mean that at all.

Dec 16, 2008, 11:31 AM
Why don't they work on making broadband average speed better, or work at obtaining the speeds they advertise.
Yeah. Virgin is ****. My friend on the 24Meg plan says he's lucky to get 50Kbytes a sec. I had them before too. 200Kbytes I considered blazingly fast, until I tried other ISPs.

I'm on Sky now, and while I appear to only be getting 8 of the advertised 16Meg, at least it's stable and I actually get decent speeds.

VoR
Dec 16, 2008, 12:11 PM
Like with any broadband provider in the uk, your connection is luck of the draw.
Virgin have never had a 24mbit package, did you mean 20? Or was he in a non-cabled area and getting virgin's adsl offering?

I've had three addresses round the country with ntl/virgin and have always got the advertised speeds - I had a bad ubr in leeds that took 4 months of complaining to get sorted (was a crazy ping issue more than anything) but it was fixed eventually and they always paid me back my rental after fighting on the phone - if you're unlucky with your connection on a bt wholesale based adsl isp you don't really have any chance of a fix. Have you seen some of the transit links that these isps have and share with others? Have you heard what some of them have been doing with respect to 'new' bandwidth hogs like iplayer?

Sky are one of the best llu providers but like with anything here, it's luck. If loads of new subscribers saturate their hardware in the exchange you have to pray to the sun gods it'll be upgraded, and they're still stuck with our national infastructure anyway. A working 50mbit connection with like 6.25MBs download is pretty decent compared to your 1MB/s sky connection (do they have a tiered pricing structure, are you paying double what you should be?)

BT are rolling out fibre (I'll believe it when they offer me a product), but it looks like the usual incompetant accounting decisions - looking at the books for the next couple of years instead of the bigger picture, bodging our comms slowly and expensively forward.

JG271
Dec 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah. Virgin is ****. My friend on the 24Meg plan says he's lucky to get 50Kbytes a sec. I had them before too. 200Kbytes I considered blazingly fast, until I tried other ISPs.

I'm on Sky now, and while I appear to only be getting 8 of the advertised 16Meg, at least it's stable and I actually get decent speeds.

Yep, as well as being slow anyway (100k on a 1mb plan) at peak times our bandwidth is cut dramatically, often I can't watch any kind of streaming video such as iPlayer.

OllyW
Dec 16, 2008, 12:27 PM

Yep, as well as being slow anyway (100k on a 1mb plan) at peak times our bandwidth is cut dramatically, often I can't watch any kind of streaming video such as iPlayer.

I don't any of those problems with my Virgin cable broadband. I'm on the 10Mb package and always get between 8 and 10Mb download speed.

bartelby
Dec 16, 2008, 12:30 PM
I don't any of those problems with my Virgin cable broadband. I'm on the 10Mb package and always get between 8 and 10Mb download speed.

Same here, unless I exceed the limit at peak times and get throttled back.

JG271
Dec 16, 2008, 12:35 PM

I guess the rest of the users on the network and the location can vary your connection. I don't think suppliers should be able to advertise so ambiguously though.

Could our wireless be the bottleneck?

OllyW
Dec 16, 2008, 12:47 PM
I guess the rest of the users on the network and the location can vary your connection. I don't think suppliers should be able to advertise so ambiguously though.

Could our wireless be the bottleneck?

I get similar speeds on wireless and ethernet.

I'm in one of the first areas eligible for the 50Mb upgrade so I don't know if that means we have a higher quality set-up where I live.

Great news! 50Mb broadband is available where you live

Because you're in a fibre optic cable area, you can get all this.
Up to 50Mb broadband
Up to 165 digital TV channels
Great value home phone packages
To order 50Mb broadband now just give our team a call on 0800 052 0783.

worriedmac
Dec 16, 2008, 12:48 PM
Oh my. I just came online as I'm fed up with there service. I used to use BT and life was could and constant at 6Mb (I tested it). Then I tried virgin as they had a special offer for £10. It looked the same deal along the same line but it isn't. My speed dropped to 3Mb. I shrugged it off as being cheaper. Then they hit me with fair use which doesn't slow me down, it's more like I don't have internet. Speed tests don't even work. The Iplayer in my experience is blocked at any time of day and torrents itunes or any downloading if it takes more than 5 minutes entirely locks up the internet. They seem to be making plans to offer your details to copyright people to see if your illegal and I presume this downloading prblem is part of this policing. It cost me £15 phonecall just to find out information. The final kicker (I think) was my service has gone £10, £15 and this month £18 so I have to make another phonecall that costs that to sort it.

There is nothing that virgin do well. Every sector they buy into, they do badly in (apart from financially of course). The odd good story isn't good enough and I urge everyone to get another provider as this speed increase will benefit very few but it will convince a lot to take up another contract with this god awful company.

The phonecall will involve me canceling as I can't justify such an expensive phonecall without leaving them.

The throttling of my internet with or without any download happens every single evening and weekend without fail. They never allow me full speed at these times. I guess they give it to you guys who get decent speeds.

és:
Dec 16, 2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah. Virgin is ****. My friend on the 24Meg plan says he's lucky to get 50Kbytes a sec. .

Well, that's a big ol' fat load of crapola. Firstly, they don't do a 24MB plan. Secondly, 50kbps is slow as hell and would never get that low on a cable service. Big ol' load of ****.

OllyW
Dec 16, 2008, 01:24 PM
It cost me £15 phonecall just to find out information.

Why did the phone call cost £15. It's free to call customer care from a Virgin phone line? :confused:

bartelby
Dec 16, 2008, 01:25 PM
Why did the phone call cost £15. It's free to call customer care from a Virgin phone line? :confused:

Not for broadband.
If it's VW's fault though they refund you.

OllyW
Dec 16, 2008, 01:34 PM
Not for broadband.
If it's VW's fault though they refund you.

Customer support for broadband has been free for about a year, they had a massive amount of criticism when they started charging and eventually backtracked. You still have to pay for dial up support though.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/broadband-helpline-faqs.php

bartelby
Dec 16, 2008, 01:37 PM
Customer support for broadband has been free for about a year, they had a massive amount of criticism when they started charging and eventually backtracked. You still have to pay for dial up support though.

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/service-fault.php

They charged me (and refunded) about 6 months ago when I needed my modem replaced. Those bastards! :rolleyes::)

OllyW
Dec 16, 2008, 02:24 PM
They charged me (and refunded) about 6 months ago when I needed my modem replaced. Those bastards! :rolleyes::)

My mistake, it's only been free since the 1st of June. :o

Dec 16, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well, that's a big ol' fat load of crapola. Firstly, they don't do a 24MB plan. Secondly, 50kbps is slow as hell and would never get that low on a cable service. Big ol' load of ****.
Sorry if I seemed a bit, insane at the time of posting or whatever, but WTF? OK, it's 20Mbit, but still. And yes, 50KB is possible on cable. The 20mbit speed is the maximum possible, not what you will get.

I don't want to start a flamewar, but seriously.

Back on topic: It seems to me that people in different areas get different speeds. That, or some of us use our internet too much so we're getting throttled down like mad...

Porco
Dec 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
My net connection is 1.5Mb at best. I wish Virgin had decided to expand their cable coverage rather than just boosting speeds for people who already get amongst the fastest connections. Can't really blame them though, it's about population density I guess. What should happen is the government forcing BT to upgrade their network for everyone, or part nationalise it for the same result.

At least I'm never going to hit my monthly data cap(!)

Anyone who uses BT as an ISP shouldn't do so btw, because of Phorm/Webwise, which is horrible.

weckart
Dec 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
When they were Blueyonder they were great, I was an advocate of their service so much so I got a few of mates to sign up. Then (literally) the day they became Virgin (probably coincidence) I had no end of problems and they just didn't want to know. I had been with them since 1996 (i Think) when they first launched in Sheffield as Telewest, my modem was the same one as the day we signed up and I thought maybe it had given up but they refused to replace it, even though they give out free ones to new customers. :rolleyes: That was the last straw so I left and took the phone and TV with me. :D Hello Sky!

Yup. I signed up when it was CableLondon (incompetent shower). Things look up when Telewest took it over and improved no end when it became Blueyonder. Any hint of a problem and I could get through on a freephone number to a real engineer, not a call centre drone, who would sort any issue out on the spot.

I moved one mile up the road in London to a former NTL area and had to re-sign with that shower. What a contrast. Botched set up left me ringing India and enduring 10 minutes of their reading from a prepared script before I was allowed to explain the problem. Then I was charged for the call at premium rates. When I called up another to complain about this, they refunded me the money but then charged me for that call.

I endured frequent dropouts before I gladly dropped the service at the end of the yearly contract. Despite terminating, Virgin, as NTL had become, carried on direct debiting my account for another two months before I got the bank to stop that. I kissed that overcharge goodbye. Could not stomach dealing with Customer Disservice again. No surprise that there was an online community NTL:Hell dedicated to trying to sort out problems that NTL couldn't/wouldn't deal with.

To be fair, I always got the advertised speeds. Even now, my brother is still with Virgin (ex Blueyonder) in the Midlands and gets the full 20Mbs speed on download.

Unlike BT, Virgin has some incentive to increase FTTwherever, since it wants to peddle media as well as broadband. It just needs to make the financial case. BT won't because there is no money in telecommunications any more, so ADSL is looking like a dead end in the UK at the moment.

és:
Dec 16, 2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry if I seemed a bit, insane at the time of posting or whatever, but WTF? OK, it's 20Mbit, but still. And yes, 50KB is possible on cable.

50kb on a 20mb fiber optic cable connection. It's patently balls to anybody that uses the service. If it was 15 - or even throttled to 2mb for a very short time due to unbelievably heavy usage, then maybe. However, complaining that somebody got slower than dial-up speed out of a super fast 20mb cable connection is just crapola.

The 20mbit speed is the maximum possible, not what you will get.

Fibre optic cable isn't like phone line, they don't advertise a 20mb service and provide 4mb. You might lose a little through contention, you might be capped at certain periods but you won't get a 50kb connection from a 20mb cable service.

Phil A.
Dec 17, 2008, 07:34 AM
I was on Virgin's 20MB service until last week when I moved house into the countryside where there is no cable service. I was always very, very impressed with Virgin - I consistently got the full throughput and was consistently able to download at 2.2 megabytes per second. I'm currently waiting for my ADSL connection to be activated which will give me a pretty pathetic connection speed of 3Mb/s which is less than 10% of the speed of the new Virgin service :mad: Fortunately, living in the country does have other advantages to make up for the loss of super fast cable :D

sared
Dec 19, 2008, 05:11 PM
still waaaayyy better than what we have here in the US.

chilipie
Dec 20, 2008, 02:58 AM
Meh. They still can't consistently provide a 2Mb connection to us, and we get capped to ridiculously slow speeds.

sushi
Dec 20, 2008, 03:04 AM
As some have said, why not expand coverage.

And, why shoot for 50Mbps service? That is so 2003.

I would think they would at least be going for 100Mbps or higher.

DoFoT9
Dec 20, 2008, 04:09 AM
As some have said, why not expand coverage.

And, why shoot for 50Mbps service? That is so 2003.

I would think they would at least be going for 100Mbps or higher.

yes i agree, seriously with the technology we have there should be 500mbps available. the economy isnt really helping atm though..

BenEndeem
Dec 20, 2008, 04:45 AM
I used to be on the 20Mb/s plan, but decided to 'leave' due to the awful downtime and customer service. The connection was vital to our small home business and the pitiful callouts just weren't acceptable; waiting a week only to get a rude pair of technicians turn up to mess around like school children and leave a note tucked under the lines (on a Virgin Media 'you were out' card nonetheless) reading 'any more problems sniff my *****'. Even then customer service initially denied it, but faced with undeniable evidence we were issued an apology.

The line is now on NTL/Telewest business (to use most other companies the house would need another line putting in and modem moved to an inconvenient place, so there really is little choice) who have eight hour call out rather than eight days and generally seem to have better customer service. We never had any problems with the internet while it was NTL. A quick Googling shows my experience isn't unique.

<Rant over>

Nice to see the UK's internet speeds getting quicker, but we still are a bit behind other countries I suppose :( .

RedTomato
Dec 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
Well, on the topic of high speed internet, I've been with Be for several years (was one of the first people to sign up). They've generally been fine, but about once a year, all my email stops working for a few days and they usually don't have a clue.

(apart from vague mutterings about "the way OSX treats email is different from Windows" which seems bollocks from a networking perspective.)

I get about 16meg down and the usual up, which I'm happy with. What do other MR people think of them?

TBH Be are looking overpriced nowadays, and I'm thinking of moving to a different provider to save on the £20 monthlies, but am bit scared of falling down an ISP pit.

SpaceMagic
Dec 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
Well, on the topic of high speed internet, I've been with Be for several years (was one of the first people to sign up). They've generally been fine, but about once a year, all my email stops working for a few days and they usually don't have a clue.

(apart from vague mutterings about "the way OSX treats email is different from Windows" which seems bollocks from a networking perspective.)

I get about 16meg down and the usual up, which I'm happy with. What do other MR people think of them?

TBH Be are looking overpriced nowadays, and I'm thinking of moving to a different provider to save on the £20 monthlies, but am bit scared of falling down an ISP pit.

In my experience, the more you pay, the better the service. We had a faultless 3 years on NewNet Pay&Go, but they're unlimited service was far too expensive so we swapped to O2 as we all have O2 mobiles. For the good price of 17 a month, we get 8mb (up to 24 if you live in the right areas), but the service is awful. Customer support answer quickly but don't really have a clue and our connection drops about 4 times a day. Tis really annoying.

Virgin in some areas is also better than in others. At my uni address in Bath, we have Virgin 20mb and it's great. My sister in Clapham has had very bad experiences with it though. So all depends on the area I think.

So, if BE is working, stick with them. Otherwise look at the smaller companies which have had plenty of experience (like Pipex - I only hear good things about these) and avoid O2, Talk Talk, Virgin, BT, etc.

That's my opinion. I'm sure others have had different experiences.

LouisBlack
Dec 21, 2008, 09:46 AM

Be is by far the best service I've used. I had them for a year in central Brighton and whilst I only got about 5mbps, it was reliable and never dropped below that speed. I only cancelled with them because I moved to a place where I have no control over the Internet.

I had the 10mbps Virgin connection a couple of years ago again in Brighton and it was awful. 20kbps wasn't uncommon at peak times. They also refused to cancel my connection even after the contract period (they said they would and then just didn't) so I just cancelled the direct debit and ignored their calls.

Virgin are idiots.

Elven
Dec 21, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have to agree, while my internet with them is stable, I rarely see above 12MB down on my 20MB connection, and with four laptops, two pc's, and a Macbook currently being used I am being capped easily during the day.

VoR
Dec 21, 2008, 10:10 AM
I had the 10mbps Virgin connection a couple of years ago again in Brighton and it was awful. 20kbps wasn't uncommon at peak times. They also refused to cancel my connection even after the contract period (they said they would and then just didn't) so I just cancelled the direct debit and ignored their calls.

I just moved from hove, the same ubr as brighton. I got the full 20mbit, no variation in peak times and pretty much zero downtime.
Not cancelling the contract after your cancellation phone call is standard practice for isps :)
If you don't get your quoted speed I'm not sure why you're all not phoning up and giving them some grief. You might have to go through a few people (same as any company), but virgin are pretty decent at refunding your sub.