Virgin to launch fastest web connection in UK

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Moderator emeritus

Good luck in trying to get through to customer services to switch over without a hiccup in your billing

Oh, so you can't get cable? Sucks to be you.

But of course, the biggest news about this announcement?

Teh w00tness personified.

Best thing about this, while they have a monopoly on this service, is possibly setting off a price war amongst lower speed services. :)

2. macrumors G4

Still pretty crappy though. In Sweden they had 100Mbps to the home five years ago.

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Off to The Tower with you. ;)

4. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I was going to start the same thread earlier but then thought... meh... it's Virgin so it won't work anyway.

I was on 10mbps (Fibre) when they were Blueyonder/NTL the day they became Virgin was the day they became crap. More down time than up and crap customer service. Not to mention caps/limits/throttling etc.

Fibre is the way forward but I wont be going back to Virgin (even though my house is still wired) no matter how good the deal as the service is crap.

They also don't seem to be increasing the fibre network either (as far as I can tell) so 90% of the country can't get these speeds anyway.

5. macrumors 6502a

és:

Virgin are much better than NTL used to be. I've not had a single problem with wait times, customer service or the service reliability since they've taken over.

Available to over half the homes (presuming that covers half the people) means 31m people have access to it.

Why all the negativity towards a service that will double current speeds?

6. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jealousy. It's the British way. :D

7. macrumors 6502a

és:

I've had completely opposite experience. Not one second of downtime. I download mega amounts of data and almost never get capped. Fast, excellent service so far and perfect reliability.

:D

I'm just hoping that they will be replacing their 20mb service with 50mb and then their 10mb service (which I'm on) with 20mb - they have been known to do free upgrades.

8. macrumors 68040

And how many servers will actually let you download at that?

9. macrumors 6502a

és:

Torrenting, Saint Nick. Torrenting.

10. macrumors 68040

I've never got any decent speeds with torrents. I'm sure that new Kylie album will download instantly, but most of the stuff I like is niche, meaning less seeders. Besides Virgin are cracking down on illegal downloads, which is what 90% of the torrents are.

11. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

When they were Blueyonder they were great, I was an advocate of their service so much so I got a few of mates to sign up. Then (literally) the day they became Virgin (probably coincidence) I had no end of problems and they just didn't want to know. I had been with them since 1996 (i Think) when they first launched in Sheffield as Telewest, my modem was the same one as the day we signed up and I thought maybe it had given up but they refused to replace it, even though they give out free ones to new customers. :rolleyes: That was the last straw so I left and took the phone and TV with me. :D Hello Sky!

12. macrumors G4

You've heard of multi-tasking I take it :p

13. macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, I'm sure the service will be over-contended and over-managed, but this is still good news. Anything that makes BT's ADSL look outdated is good news for the rest of us.

14. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm on the 10MB too and have a similar experience to you.

I agree that the customer support has gone downhill since they changed to Virgin and moved the phone support to India. The old Blueyonder support staff were fairly knowledgeable, but the new ones haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

15. macrumors Core

I've never had any problems with VM, nor NTL before. I do wonder if it's going to take the same amonut of time to roll out this new sped as it did for the 20mb upgrade.

16. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

and here comes the aussie :):)

were still stuck on ADSL2+ on crappy copper, none of this fibre **** can be seen any further than 100km out of major cities (which only cover like 0.5% of the country).

cant wait until i move into another country or move into the city!! prices are still darn high but.

good to see that you brits are moving up, i daresay the pricing will kill.. what will the upload speed be? i have 20mb up, 1mb down.. hate to be ruled by 1 company that has the monopoly.

17. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Theres only a small percentage covered by Fibre the rest is done on 'crappy copper wire'.

18. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes but at least the option (where its available anyways) is there... in our cities you are more limited than in your cities.

19. macrumors 6502a

Ditto. I was a happy NTL customer for about 5 years. Virgin took over and the service turned to ****.

50MBits? Really? How long do you get your super high speed internet before it's traffic shaped.

20. macrumors 6502a

és:

21. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

No mention of contention ratio, which always worries me.

I've a relatively slow 7Mbps connection, but with no contention; and am blissfully happy with it. Once it's fast and stable enough to download >5-6Mbps (the approximate bandwidth required to download a compressed 720p HD movie, such as from Xbox Live), it's good enough for me.

22. macrumors regular

...before you get too far into your pity party... (O/T)

Here in Kenya.... :eek:

Wananchi just launched broadband for £50 per month, the guaranteed speed is 5kbps (<--- NOT a typo)

and a week ago, the whole country was without electricity for about 5 hours

Yorkshire accent:...But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

23. macrumors 68030

joepunk

Any capping for you brits or is that just an american company thing like Comcast's 250GB per month cap on download/upload?

24. macrumors Core

Dagless

Well I hope we get this outside of cities and no more false claims.

25. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

BAHAHAHAHA

goodluck with that.