PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's Phasing Out SuperSizing

Mr. Anderson
Mar 2, 2004, 09:41 PM
Wow, who would have thought!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/03/02/mcdonalds.supersize.ap/index.html

Seems that a healthy lifestyle image is catching up to McD's and they know its only a matter of time before something gives. Glad to see it and I hope the other fast food establishments do the same - we're eating way too much.

D

evolu
Mar 2, 2004, 09:47 PM
Wow, who would have thought!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/03/02/mcdonalds.supersize.ap/index.html

Seems that a healthy lifestyle image is catching up to McD's and they know its only a matter of time before something gives. Glad to see it and I hope the other fast food establishments do the same - we're eating way too much.

D

i supersized until i was 23. then i started thinking about my health!

the veggie burgers are okay tho.

Rower_CPU
Mar 2, 2004, 09:50 PM
Agreed on the eating too much thing. Comparing portion sizes of food at the turn of the century and now is scary.

Kudos to McD for dropping the supersize option, but I still won't go there unless forced at gunpoint. ;)

thecow
Mar 2, 2004, 09:56 PM
Kinda unrelated but at a burger king that I went to about a month ago the sizes were medium, large and king. I wonder how many people ordered a large thinking that they were getting the biggest size and they were actually getting a medium sized meal. It seams like that would reduce sales.

wdlove
Mar 2, 2004, 10:00 PM
I can't remember the last time that I ate at McDonald's. Salads, fruits, and vegetables are a much better choice than fried foods of any type. Even if it is a veggie burger. I preferred baked or broiled meats.

My thought on the overeating is that without the super-sized, will it cause the customer to order two now.

gwuMACaddict
Mar 2, 2004, 10:01 PM
Glad to see it and I hope the other fast food establishments do the same - we're eating way too much.

but its not McDonalds fault that people are eating too much or are fat... people themselves need to be smart enough to not order the d$%n super-mega-gluton size...

i mean... what if someone comes in now and is REALLY REALLY hungry? :p

richland
Mar 2, 2004, 10:03 PM
Well this is dumb.

Its just a bigger fries and larger drink :(

I love fries.....

but its not McDonalds fault that people are eating too much or are fat... people themselves need to be smart enough to not order the d$%n super-mega-gluton size...

Exactly.

KC9AIC
Mar 2, 2004, 10:05 PM
Portions in Japan are small enough that the large here in McDonalds is only a medium or small in America. McDonalds won't kill you if you eat only a few grams at at time, apparently. :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Mar 2, 2004, 10:10 PM

I don't eat there anymore myself, but if you go and order something that's not a super value meal, it cost more. Buying the items singly is more expensive, so in order to save money you have get more - sounds stupid, but that's the way it is.

D

gwuMACaddict
Mar 2, 2004, 10:14 PM
so in order to save money you have get more - sounds stupid, but that's the way it is.

but spending more doesn't SAVE you more if you don't wanna eat it anyway....

i see what you mean, but it IS silly... you save money by not spending as much=by not ordering the huge sized meal in the first place

Mr. Anderson
Mar 2, 2004, 10:33 PM
If someone were to put a supersized McD's fries in front of you, would you only eat half? The problem with the food is less the quantity, but more the calorie and carb content. A supersized meal might not fill you up in terms of satiation, but give you more than half your required calories and probably much more than 100% of your fat in one meal.

In college, some friends and I went to McD's, Wendy's and Burger King - buying a huge meal at each one and seeing who would cry uncle first. I don't remember who lost, but I also remember eating more than I had expected.

This is all with in 40 minutes or so and the sizes were a little different from today, it was in the 80s :D :

McD's
BigMac
Large Fries
Large Coke
20 piece McNuggets
Apple Pie

Wendy's
Big Classic - Extra Everything (go ahead, I dare you to order this, if done right they really can't close it in the wrapper :D)
Large Fries
Large Frosty

Burger King
Whopper w/Cheese
Large Fries
Large Coke
Apple Pie

Needless to say we weren't moving too fast after all that, and its not something I'm all that proud of now. But hey, it was college, you're supposed to do some stupid stuff.....

D

iJon
Mar 2, 2004, 11:44 PM
man this sucks. i love the supersized, they might as well hand me the key to the fry machines they give me so much. i eat them all and then i see there is the equivilant to a small fry in the bottom of the bag. i know its unhealthy, but i dont eat there to often, but when i do i want to stock up. i get so much food there for like 5 bucks, much more food for the money compared to when i go to chickfila everyday.

iJon

bousozoku
Mar 3, 2004, 12:20 AM
I think I super-sized twice but mostly, I don't like a lot of food. I only go to McDonald's for the Filet o' Fish sandwich anyway. I don't even eat Quarter Pounders anymore.

I just don't understand the need to gourge. It doesn't make you gourgeous.

jasylonian
Mar 3, 2004, 12:25 AM
boo people who eat too much and blame it on the company that gave them a choice. if i ever ate at McDonald's it would just be the supersized fries. just because people can't control themselves doesn't mean that my freedom to choose should be restricted. what a stupid business decision. who's running that joint? some kinda clown? at least there's chipotle. that's like an alcoholic blaming his problems on the maloofs.

Awimoway
Mar 3, 2004, 12:41 AM
It's a good move, but I don't think it's going to have the effect McDonald's wants. Their business is dwindling because fat people feel guilty eating there and thin people avoid it. They want to refashion themselves as a health-conscious restaurant. But so long as their core meals are deep fried, cheese-laden, red meat health hazards, no amount of tinkering with portions is going to make a difference.

It's as if a coke dealer is advertising that their merchandise is now sold in sterilized plastic baggies. :rolleyes:

richland
Mar 3, 2004, 12:47 AM
Their business is dwindling because fat people feel guilty eating there and thin people avoid it.

Thin people do not avoid mcdonalds.....lol

We flock there :p

G5orbust
Mar 3, 2004, 12:50 AM
Thus another world icon falls and with it all jokes associated and 25 pounds.

Kudos to McD for dropping the supersize option, but I still won't go there unless forced at gunpoint. ;)

Im sure this can be arranged... *Two McDonalds Special Agents jump out of nowhere wearing a Ronald McDonald costume and a Hamburgler costume, respectively.*

Daveman Deluxe
Mar 3, 2004, 12:56 AM
The last time I was at McDonald's was almost a year ago... and I was eating food from Burger King. I don't eat much fast food these days.

But man, do I feel like having a Whopper with medium onion rings and a big glass of water.

Savage Henry
Mar 3, 2004, 12:59 AM

We flock there :p

"Thin going in, Stout going out!" :)

Well known f.f. catering motto.

Krizoitz
Mar 3, 2004, 01:41 AM
I like Mc D's, i mean sure its not gourmet, but it is still tasty. I don't go very often either, but when I do the regular sized meal is just not enough, thats why I supersize, I love the fries. Yeah I know its not healthy to eat those every day, but honestly, if you eat McDonalds every day you have problems. Thats like baking a cake and eating it every day. The problem isn't the cake, its the quantity. I'm sick of health nuts telling me not to eat this and not to eat that. If I want to eat it every so often I'm not going to die younger, and if they never eat it they will still die, maybe a few years later, but is a couple years worth dropping all the good food from your life? Not for me. Guess its back to ordering an extra order of fries (probably the REAL reason, now that they have us hooked on large portions they can make more money by making us by extra seperatly. GRRRRRRR)

TimDaddy
Mar 3, 2004, 02:40 AM
My thought on the overeating is that without the super-sized, will it cause the customer to order two now.

I was going to disagree with you, because they probably won't ask you to buy two as they currently offer to supersize it. But, then I remembered, every time I have ever ordered an apple pie, they say "You can have two for $1". I'm not blaming them for those occasions when I lack the self-control to say "No," but if you haven't eaten in a while your eyse do tend to be bigger than your stomach. And, by the time your brain registers that you are full, you've already eaten the extra food that you didn't need. So, I think its a good thing to do away with supersizing, or just don't nag at people to buy it.

"I can give you two Big Mac Meals for just $7.99. That'll save you thiry-six cents!!!"

TimDaddy
Mar 3, 2004, 02:44 AM

We flock there :p I have a thin and very good-looking friend who just loves McDonald's. When she eats there, she will order her sandwich and a diet Coke, and ask for three fries. She loves the fries, but knows that if she gets a full order, she will eat them all. She does not want to eat that much McDonald's food. But, usually they think she can't afford the fries, feel sorry for her, and just give her a free order. She said "there's one advantage to being black, people always assume you are poor."

agreenster
Mar 3, 2004, 08:22 AM
I've never supersized anything in my life. I always just buy two sandwiches and a water. I was on on the atkins diet Loooooooong before there was an atkins diet. I just have always been a huge meat eater. I usually just order two or three quarter pounders and a water. Cheap, and filling.

robbieduncan
Mar 3, 2004, 09:00 AM
I was on on the atkins diet Loooooooong before there was an atkins diet.

Really? How old are you? The Atkin diet book was first published over 30 years ago! It just got popular again recently.

Personally I distrust the Atkins thing and wouldn't touch it with a really long stick, but if that's what you want to do then go for it!

virividox
Mar 3, 2004, 09:04 AM
i think mcdonants should still keep supersizing

i mean since when should they limit our choice just because of stupid people who cant control themselves

responsibility. gah

that said i supersize when im startving coming back froma long road trip or just craving, but i dont do it all the time, in fact its been like 4 months since my last trip to the golden arches

agreenster
Mar 3, 2004, 09:26 AM
Really? How old are you? The Atkin diet book was first published over 30 years ago! It just got popular again recently.

Personally I distrust the Atkins thing and wouldn't touch it with a really long stick, but if that's what you want to do then go for it!

Oh. Okay, I'm stupid.

Let me rephrase:

Ive been on the atkins diet long bfore I had ever heard of it. :)

Seriously though, Ive always been a big protein eater. Meat, fish, dairy, nuts. All things I luuuuv. Not so much into breads and grains, unless its with something else.

I can see why people dont want to eat meat, but its really not bad for you. The cholesterol and fat is bad for you, but I eat lots and lots of poultry and seafood. I could live on sushi, if I could afford it. Red meat is something I tend to shy away from, but I will have a steak from time to time. (and back to time again) he he

wdlove
Mar 3, 2004, 09:33 AM
It does seem that the politically correct crowd seem to think they know best. We need to go back to the America of personal responsibility. I remember my younger years many times my eyes were bigger than my stomach. So if that occurred, then I had to take responsibility. An occasonal splurge is OK, no one could tolerate always eating properly. That would be so boring.

bousozoku
Mar 3, 2004, 09:52 AM
The last time I was at McDonald's was almost a year ago... and I was eating food from Burger King. I don't eat much fast food these days.

But man, do I feel like having a Whopper with medium onion rings and a big glass of water.

McDonald's was serving Burger King food? :confused:

1macker1
Mar 3, 2004, 10:38 AM
I'm all for people having a choice, but THREE quarter pounders!!!! WOW:(
I've never supersized anything in my life. I always just buy two sandwiches and a water. I was on on the atkins diet Loooooooong before there was an atkins diet. I just have always been a huge meat eater. I usually just order two or three quarter pounders and a water. Cheap, and filling.

FlamDrag
Mar 3, 2004, 10:47 AM
I'm disgusted with the food culture in America a lot. But I'm really not sure how this does anything to help the problem. SuperSizing - in my view - is no the problem for a lot of people.

Three easy tips to shed some calories from your diet.

1. Eat more slowly. Many eat so incredibly fast that their body doesn't have a chance to tell the brain that they are full. No need to eat 20 fries in one bite.

2. Don't eat while doing other things. Watching TV etc distracts from signs your body gives you to quit eating.

3. Eat the healthiest stuff first. If you eat the salad (not swimming in dressing), then the veggies, then the meat you're more likely to fill up on the healthier items leaving less room for ice cream or other desserts.

Obviously these are going to cause you to lose 20 lbs in a week or anything. However, if you are worried that you eat too much. Those are two quick and easy things to try.

Hemingray
Mar 3, 2004, 11:34 AM
LAME. I go to McDonald's once every two weeks, if that... usually I just get a regular combo. But sometimes... guess what... I'm more hungry! I should be able to "upsize" the order accordingly. (Whether it be medium or supersize.) It's not our fault that others can't eat responsibly.

agreenster
Mar 3, 2004, 11:37 AM
I'm all for people having a choice, but THREE quarter pounders!!!! WOW:(

I exercise a LOT.

Nowadays though, if I find myself at McDonalds, I get their salads. The chicken ones. Yum!

stoid
Mar 3, 2004, 11:54 AM
What are people going to say when the fast food places all "clean up their act" and the dumb lazy Americans continue to get fatter and fatter? When are people going to realize that if you sit on your ass all day it doesn't matter what you eat, you are still going to gain weight? If you don't want to be fat, exercise! There are no cheap tricks to a healthy lifestyle dammit, stop trying to 'cheat' your way through life!!

Daveman Deluxe
Mar 3, 2004, 12:09 PM
McDonald's was serving Burger King food? :confused:

Nein. I was staffing a youth group trip, and most of the kids wanted to go to McDonalds, so I walked to Burger King about two blocks away and got my food and came back.

I haven't eaten McDonald's food in about three years.

By the way, for most of us, our digestive systems are tuned to eat one serving of meat a day--that's basically the amount of meat in one hamburger. If you're on Atkins, you're fine (it alters the way your digestive system functions), but you REALLY need to stick with it. Studies have found that people that are kind of half-assed on Atkins--such as family members of those on Atkins who eat lots of protein one or two meals a day, and carbs for the others--are doing a grave disservice to their health.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 3, 2004, 12:17 PM
Let me say that I will bemoan the loss of supersizing. I currently have a weight problem that is half steroids(glad to be done with them) and part inactivity. Back in the day I ate far more than I do now but I was a trim 110kg(I'm 193 cm). I would have the supersize meal, 2 apple pies and then chips later on as a snack.

Cutting back on food will only get you so far healthily. You need to harmonize everything in your life.

MacNut
Mar 3, 2004, 01:04 PM
This is a bad marketing move for McDonalds, If i want to eat my self silly with a Big Mac and a supersized fry, I have every right to do so and nobody has a right to stop me. What happened to land of the free home of the brave. Might be time to swich to Burger King, even tho there fries arnt nearly as good.

russed
Mar 3, 2004, 01:19 PM
what gets me is why do people go and order a meal from McD's and then have a diet coke with it? what is the point? like the coke is going to make any difference!

michelle
Mar 3, 2004, 01:20 PM
A few years back when I ate at McDonalds with my boyfriend, we would get one supersized meal and one sandwich by itself, then share it. I can't imagine anyone actually eating the entire thing themselves. However, I guess it is true that if it is in front of you, you're going to eat it. Now we just share the fries and drink from a regular-sized meal, and it seems to be sufficient. It's good they are finally paying attention to the obesity problem in the U.S., but it IS the consumers' choice too: if they really want more fries and drink they are going to order more, and no one can stop them.

I just can't believe they have Double Cheeseburger Happy Meals at the Wal-Mart McDonalds! Please, think of the children!!

Sun Baked
Mar 3, 2004, 01:24 PM
Well this is dumb.

Its just a bigger fries and larger drink :(

I love fries.....

Exactly.Since soda is generally around 100 calories per 8 oz, those 32 and 48 oz vats of sodas start adding up to a significant portion of the 2000 calorie daily meal -- especially when people go for a refill or two.

And that's just the soda, there's still the fries, double quarter pounder and desert to figure out.

whocares
Mar 3, 2004, 01:33 PM
(...)I don't go very often either, but when I do the regular sized meal is just not enough, thats why I supersize, I love the fries. (...)

That's the whole problem: you feel that you haven't eaten enough (in terms of volume), but as Mr. Anderson points out, you ingurgitated more than enough calories and fat :(

I do however agree with you that it's not worth depriving ourselves from stuff we like, just to add a couple of months to our lives. I'd much prefer to die young and happy than old and miserable...

Krizoitz
Mar 3, 2004, 05:58 PM
That's the whole problem: you feel that you haven't eaten enough (in terms of volume), but as Mr. Anderson points out, you ingurgitated more than enough calories and fat :(

I do however agree with you that it's not worth depriving ourselves from stuff we like, just to add a couple of months to our lives. I'd much prefer to die young and happy than old and miserable...

Yes thats ture, I am eating a lot of calories and fat, but not on a regular basis, just occasionally, rarely in fact. Its like having a glass of fine wine once ever few weeks. Yes if you drink daily too much you will have a problem, but not if you do it rarely.

MrMacMan
Mar 3, 2004, 06:04 PM
Agreed on the eating too much thing. Comparing portion sizes of food at the turn of the century and now is scary.

I'm not sure about the rest of you...

But I've used the supersize version to have fries and drink for 2 people... the other person just gets the hamburger/chicken they wanted...

I'm kinda disapointed...

/me thinks they were losing money on it.

I don't understand their reasoning, they can't expect their own customers to be healthy so Mc.D's is taking the initutive for them?

yay now I get to spend more money! :mad:

So now when I take someone to eat I will have to pay for 2 smaller drinks and 2 smaller fries...

Instead of a less costly Supersizing...

How about this... instead of Killing the Supersize...

They STOP asking you if you want one!

That would work? No?

Most people here have problems w/ the supersize just cause they ask if you want it... :rolleyes:

bennetsaysargh
Mar 3, 2004, 08:14 PM
i dunno. i still like having more fries. they may not be a real food, and i may not know where they came from, but they're a good food to share with other people. getting rid of the supersizing sceme will damage them. if people want to eat healthier, then they shouldn't supersize it. i dunno. i think mcdonalds is disgusting anyway. by that i only mean everything but fries and soda.

Sun Baked
Mar 3, 2004, 08:21 PM
But I've used the supersize version to have fries and drink for 2 people... the other person just gets the hamburger/chicken they wanted...I sort of miss the Manager's Specials they used to have for $1.99 -- Double, small fry, small drink.

But wait, that's TOO small a meal for the food gluttons. :rolleyes:

JamesDPS
Mar 3, 2004, 08:22 PM
i think mcdonants should still keep supersizing

i mean since when should they limit our choice just because of stupid people who cant control themselves

responsibility. gah

that said i supersize when im startving coming back froma long road trip or just craving, but i dont do it all the time, in fact its been like 4 months since my last trip to the golden arches

I agree wholeheartedly -- not that I Supersize very often -- but my choices shouldn't be limited because of other people's health concerns. But I think this points to the fact that McD's is only going to do what generates more revenue, this isn't about promoting a "healthier lifestyle". People who want a huge meal will have to order multiple orders of sandwiches and fries, and that will generate more profit, that's all.

bousozoku
Mar 3, 2004, 09:08 PM
In honour of this thread, I went to Checkers and got the $0.99 Fish sandwich and a small order of fries. Smaller stuff, more fat. :D

Nanda Devi
Mar 3, 2004, 09:23 PM
What are people going to say when the fast food places all "clean up their act" and the dumb lazy Americans continue to get fatter and fatter? When are people going to realize that if you sit on your ass all day it doesn't matter what you eat, you are still going to gain weight? If you don't want to be fat, exercise! There are no cheap tricks to a healthy lifestyle dammit, stop trying to 'cheat' your way through life!!

Could not agree more. Most people have no idea what it means to actually work out, keep your heart rate elevated for an extended period of time, pour sweat, and experience some PAIN for cryin' out loud. So many people think that the second they start to feel any discomfort or actually exert any real effort, they're "overdoing it" and need to stop. They also love to use the "I have bad knees" excuse, usually for why they have to walk instead of jog or run. Truth is a lot of people are just lazy and don't know how to exercise.

The worst part is that these same people are also too lazy to do anything active with their kids, so the kids never get into sports, never have to do anything physical, they are just plopped in front of the *****-box (TV, that is) or the Game Boy and spend entire summer vacations indoors.

It's a damn shame. Remember back when you couldn't drag kids inside? All they wanted to do was run around outside. Now you can't drag them out away from the TV....

Anyway, as for Mc-ee-Dees, I don't eat fast food at all, but I don't believe in having a restrictive diet and never eating anything you like. The KEY is, if you work out (for real), you can eat almost anything you want. And if you are working out (for real), chances are you won't have a taste for the junk too often anyway.

MrMacMan
Mar 4, 2004, 05:50 PM
I sort of miss the Manager's Specials they used to have for $1.99 -- Double, small fry, small drink.

But wait, that's TOO small a meal for the food gluttons. :rolleyes:
I hope your not calling me a glutton...

Look -- I never needed a supersize for myself thats way too large... but for 2 people it was a good cost w/ proper amount of food... now its gonna cost more money for the same amount of food.

I agree wholeheartedly -- not that I Supersize very often -- but my choices shouldn't be limited because of other people's health concerns. But I think this points to the fact that McD's is only going to do what generates more revenue, this isn't about promoting a "healthier lifestyle". People who want a huge meal will have to order multiple orders of sandwiches and fries, and that will generate more profit, that's all.
Yeah, Supersizing was once a good idea, but i think the thing behind this is profits... will people now get 2 fries or 2 drinks instead of just a supersize?

Hmmm... intresting gamble under the context thats its gonna save america or something... bah.

Dippo
Mar 4, 2004, 06:01 PM
Look -- I never needed a supersize for myself thats way too large... but for 2 people it was a good cost w/ proper amount of food... now its gonna cost more money for the same amount of food.

Yea, I used to always get a supersized meal and would share the fries and drink so that we didn't have to buy another drink/fries.

I don't think "healthy eating" is the main reason behind this shift, because I wouldn't consider anything at McDonalds healthy.

(of course even though I think McD's food is unhealthy, I still eat it :) )

JesseJames
Mar 4, 2004, 09:16 PM
I don't feel sorry one bit for people who get fat and sick from eating too much fast food. Any moron would know a steady diet of that stuff isn't good for you.
I'm sorry but people who get diabetes, gout, and morbid obesity from poor diets get absolutely no sympathy from me.
I'm especially annoyed because tax dollars from medicare is spent to help these fat louts who haven't taken care of themselves. That money is yours and mine paying for their gluttony and lack of shame. And it's only going to get worse!!! It's crazy how many portly, roly poly, sweats wearing, 3 foot wide butts I see.

You make the bed. You lie in it.

question fear
Mar 4, 2004, 09:51 PM
anyone think this is in response to the documentary filmmkaer who ate mcds for a month and got wicked fat and stuff? his movies gotten some publicity lately.

Sun Baked
Mar 4, 2004, 09:57 PM
As people are pointing out the timing of McDonald's Super Cancelation appears right before Morgan Spurlock kicked off his talk show rounds to promote his movie. ;)

The result? Twenty-five extra pounds, higher cholesterol and an award-winning documentary of his fast-food journey, "Super Size Me: A Film of Epic Portions."

Morgan Spurlock hit the morning TV shows on Thursday to promote his film on surviving on a McDonald's diet, little more than a day after the company said it would end oversized portions by the end of the year.

His tongue-in-cheek look at America's obesity crisis illustrates the effects of gorging on fast-food fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

agreenster
Mar 4, 2004, 10:45 PM
"dumb lazy Americans continue to get fatter and fatter?"

You know what man? Go easy. Not everyone in America is lazy and fat. We have a great country, despite what public opinion is of us right now. We are generous, intelligent, HARDWORKING, friendly people. Our nation gives the most money to the most countries out of every other country in the world. We may seem to stick our nose in places it doesnt belong sometimes, but no one ever reports on the good humanitarian work we do all over the world. Dont believe all the crap you read in the newspapers and see on TV. They dont show MY town, and MY culture and the people I know. No place is perfect, so no need to go on the offensive.

And by the way, Im in fantastic shape, as is my whole extended family. I'm 6 feet tall, weigh 175 pounds, have 5% body fat and can bench 250+pounds. And I eat McDonalds and watch TV all the time. So shut up about fat lazy Americans.

Daveman Deluxe
Mar 5, 2004, 01:32 AM
LOL. This thread made me crave a hamburger so much I went to Buger King yesterday for lunch and had a Whopper with cheese and barbecue sauce, large french fries, and a large Barq's. I went back again for supper tonight (medium fries, no drink this time).

I would feel guilty, but I hadn't had a hamburger in a month.

caveman_uk
Mar 5, 2004, 03:35 AM
I would feel guilty, but I hadn't had a hamburger in a month.
I haven't had a burger in over two years now. I read 'Fast Food Nation' and well - that was me finished... I never ate that many anyhow. Sadly, it hasn't made me any thinner....I blame the beer for that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FlamDrag
Mar 5, 2004, 09:27 AM
::snip:: I blame the beer for that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ssshhh...then we'll start getting 11 oz beers instead of 12!

oldschool
Mar 5, 2004, 01:42 PM

How are three quarter pounders atkins friendly? That's a lot of bread, and that meat has lots of carbs in it...

unless you're removing the bread...

Oh and to those atkins naysayers, its not all meat. Just people do it wrong and dont' change from one phase to another.

oldschool
Mar 5, 2004, 01:44 PM
You know what man? Go easy. Not everyone in America is lazy and fat. We have a great country, despite what public opinion is of us right now. We are generous, intelligent, HARDWORKING, friendly people. Our nation gives the most money to the most countries out of every other country in the world. We may seem to stick our nose in places it doesnt belong sometimes, but no one ever reports on the good humanitarian work we do all over the world. Dont believe all the crap you read in the newspapers and see on TV. They dont show MY town, and MY culture and the people I know. No place is perfect, so no need to go on the offensive.

And by the way, Im in fantastic shape, as is my whole extended family. I'm 6 feet tall, weigh 175 pounds, have 5% body fat and can bench 250+pounds. And I eat McDonalds and watch TV all the time. So shut up about fat lazy Americans.

You have to admit though that there is a larger percentage of overweight people in North America than there is in Europe or asia.

1macker1
Mar 5, 2004, 03:24 PM
Just because they are not overweight, doesn't mean they are healty. The issue isn't weight, it's really about health. But that and weight do go hand in hand I guess.**shrugs**
You have to admit though that there is a larger percentage of overweight people in North America than there is in Europe or asia.

agreenster
Mar 5, 2004, 03:51 PM

He was calling all Americans lazy and fat. Thats not true. I was more offended with the 'lazy' part than anything else. Just wanted to give him the "ol what for."

Roger1
Mar 5, 2004, 08:17 PM
what gets me is why do people go and order a meal from McD's and then have a diet coke with it? what is the point? like the coke is going to make any difference!

If you get the diet coke, then you can supersize the rest of your meal, with no caloric penalty :D

Personally, I don't care if they get rid of the supersize food. Just don't get rid of the supersize diet colas.

BTW, I am currently overweight, with a genetic tendency towards obesity. But I don't blame other people for my eating habits. I blame me. Except when my wife makes her homemade lasagna, then I blame her. ;)

BTW, if anybody out there is interested in losing some weight, Weight Watchers works. I've lost over 20 pounds doing it. If I excercised more, I'm sure I would lose more weight.

XnavxeMiyyep
Mar 5, 2004, 08:52 PM
The only people responsible for eating lots of fast food and becoming out of shape are the people that eat lots of fast food and become out of shape. Personally, I don't like anything at McDonald's, or any fast food restaurant for that matter, except for the McFlurry, because I love ice cream.

ThomasJefferson
Mar 5, 2004, 08:54 PM
I lost 20 as a member of the Atkins cult.
Anyway, I'm a Wendys person and hate MickyD's

TimDaddy
Mar 6, 2004, 02:44 AM
He was calling all Americans lazy and fat. Thats not true. I was more offended with the 'lazy' part than anything else. Just wanted to give him the "ol what for."

Yea. I'm fat, but I'm not lazy. I don't get much good old aerobic excercise, I'd say that's my main problem. I put in 8-10 hours a day of hard labor. I don't want to think about how big I'd be if I sat at a desk all day!

oldschool
Mar 6, 2004, 03:02 AM

Oh i totally agree with you on the lazy. Europeans are much more lazy than North Americans.

We work harder, and thats not necessarily a good thing. The europeans take life at a slower pace.

oldschool
Mar 6, 2004, 03:06 AM
If you get the diet coke, then you can supersize the rest of your meal, with no caloric penalty :D

Personally, I don't care if they get rid of the supersize food. Just don't get rid of the supersize diet colas.

BTW, I am currently overweight, with a genetic tendency towards obesity. But I don't blame other people for my eating habits. I blame me. Except when my wife makes her homemade lasagna, then I blame her. ;)

BTW, if anybody out there is interested in losing some weight, Weight Watchers works. I've lost over 20 pounds doing it. If I excercised more, I'm sure I would lose more weight.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

And to those of you thinking that the Diet Cola is pointless this is totally wrong. While diet tastes like crap, and the aspartame/acesulfame-k may not be great for you, the fewer calories are a good thing.

The reason is that Soft Drinks have lots of sugar, but don't fill you up so you don't realize how many calories you have just consumed.

The fat in a mcdonalds hamburger is not whats causing obesity. It is the calories...calories calories calories.

Carbs carbs carbs

caveman_uk
Mar 6, 2004, 12:16 PM
Oh i totally agree with you on the lazy. Europeans are much more lazy than North Americans.

We work harder, and thats not necessarily a good thing. The europeans take life at a slower pace.
Yeah..we get more vacation time. I get 25 days vacation not including public holidays (there's about 8-10 of those) and that's not unusual for the UK. But, an American doing my job would get paid double what I do and get cheaper housing, cars, petrol and macs than I do. So choose what you prefer. I like my vacations though :D

womencantsail
Mar 6, 2004, 10:09 PM
This is complete crap. If I want to supersize my meal, why the hell shouldn't I be able to. Like it was said earlier, I don't go to fast food restaurants all that often, but when I do, I want to get my money's worth. And when it's only a bit more money, and quite a bit more food, I'm gonna supersize for damn sure. I'll have to admit, I eat a lot. Many times I will eat my supersize meal, and finish the stuff that my friends didn't, so the regular size meal just doesn't cut it for me. If you are so damn health concious, don't go to fast food places. You know when you go to these places, you are gonna get a greasy burger, and some greasy fries, live with it.

Awimoway
Mar 7, 2004, 12:29 AM
You know when you go to these places, you are gonna get a greasy burger, and some greasy fries, live with it.

You are exactly right. The funny part, though, is that McDonalds themselves doesn't get this concept. And maybe they're right too because they don't want to attract just the people who like greasy food. They want everybody. Billions and billions served. But of course that's a joke. They're never going to attract a health conscious clientele. And the ranks of the health conscious are growing. McDonalds is under a lot of pressure from their investors to turn around their performance, and their solution is to try to be all things to all people. Which is a farce. McDonalds will never be a healthy stop. They should just give up. Settle for a greasy menu. Close some restaurants. And be happy to survive with a much smaller customer base. Anyone heavily invested in McDonalds should have jumped ship already, but if not then they should certainly do so now because the company will shrink substantially in the coming years. It probably won't fold (unless the ownership fails to cut costs sufficiently), but it will be much smaller. The stock is still out of proportion with where the company is headed.

MacNut
Mar 7, 2004, 12:46 AM
And be happy to survive with a much smaller customer base.

The Problem is that the customers base is getting bigger not smaller. :D

Awimoway
Mar 7, 2004, 01:58 AM
The Problem is that the customers base is getting bigger not smaller. :D

:D

superbovine
Mar 7, 2004, 02:33 AM
well sometimes i just order supersized fries and a drink for a snack. i guess i am stuck with large fries. remember when they introduced supersizing?

MacNut
Mar 7, 2004, 02:41 AM
Whats next, a 1/8th pound with cheese. :rolleyes:

MacNut
Mar 7, 2004, 02:44 AM
well sometimes i just order supersized fries and a drink for a snack. i guess i am stuck with large fries. remember when they introduced supersizing?

Thats a lot of work to go through for just a snack, when i want a snack I eat goldfish. :)

superbovine
Mar 7, 2004, 03:26 AM
hahaha...good point, actually a rarely do snack, but when i get a craving for hot mcdonalds french fries there is no stoppping me.

TimDaddy
Mar 7, 2004, 03:43 AM
Was it late 80's or early nineties? As I recall, it began as a summer promotion. I think they actually called it Summer Size. I think they did it a couple of years in a row, and then just kept it permanently. And, I think at one point, the super size drinks actually got bigger, and the old super size became the new large. Sickening.

superbovine
Mar 7, 2004, 03:50 PM
Was it late 80's or early nineties? As I recall, it began as a summer promotion. I think they actually called it Summer Size. I think they did it a couple of years in a row, and then just kept it permanently. And, I think at one point, the super size drinks actually got bigger, and the old super size became the new large. Sickening.

summer size? hmm i don't remember that, but it would seem to make sense. i happen to live by a mcdonalds that was a test bed of sorts. they got all the special deals and new food items first to try out to see if they sold, so maybe that why i don't remember summer sized. either way i was high school and probably lost of frew brain cells during that time.

Sun Baked
Mar 7, 2004, 06:55 PM
Was it late 80's or early nineties? As I recall, it began as a summer promotion. I think they actually called it Summer Size. I think they did it a couple of years in a row, and then just kept it permanently. And, I think at one point, the super size drinks actually got bigger, and the old super size became the new large. Sickening.Yes the old Super Size became the larges, and a slightly bigger Super Size showed up.

Which is why the loss of the Super Size is no real loss, basically a PR move and not anything that'll really impact somebody's diet.

Even the news organizations are starting to pick up on the fact that a Super Size fry is almost the same size as the Large.

question fear
Mar 7, 2004, 07:03 PM
this thread is reminding me of this book i just read, "red meat cures cancer".
its a great black comedy type book about this fast food exec who needs to raise his companies failing marketshare...his company is a fringe fast food chain whos specialty is deep fried burger patties with cajun mayo layered in between...
anyhow, its a great great book, and its all about greasy food.
perfect accompaniment to this thread.

windowsblowsass
Mar 7, 2004, 07:56 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oh god please NO :D