Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Mr. Anderson said:
Wow, who would have thought!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/03/02/mcdonalds.supersize.ap/index.html

Seems that a healthy lifestyle image is catching up to McD's and they know its only a matter of time before something gives. Glad to see it and I hope the other fast food establishments do the same - we're eating way too much.

D

i supersized until i was 23. then i started thinking about my health!

the veggie burgers are okay tho.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Agreed on the eating too much thing. Comparing portion sizes of food at the turn of the century and now is scary.

Kudos to McD for dropping the supersize option, but I still won't go there unless forced at gunpoint. ;)

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
Kinda unrelated but at a burger king that I went to about a month ago the sizes were medium, large and king. I wonder how many people ordered a large thinking that they were getting the biggest size and they were actually getting a medium sized meal. It seams like that would reduce sales.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I can't remember the last time that I ate at McDonald's. Salads, fruits, and vegetables are a much better choice than fried foods of any type. Even if it is a veggie burger. I preferred baked or broiled meats.

My thought on the overeating is that without the super-sized, will it cause the customer to order two now.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Mr. Anderson said:
Glad to see it and I hope the other fast food establishments do the same - we're eating way too much.

but its not McDonalds fault that people are eating too much or are fat... people themselves need to be smart enough to not order the d$%n super-mega-gluton size...

i mean... what if someone comes in now and is REALLY REALLY hungry? :p

richland

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Well this is dumb.

Its just a bigger fries and larger drink :(

I love fries.....

but its not McDonalds fault that people are eating too much or are fat... people themselves need to be smart enough to not order the d$%n super-mega-gluton size...

Exactly.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
gwuMACaddict said:

I don't eat there anymore myself, but if you go and order something that's not a super value meal, it cost more. Buying the items singly is more expensive, so in order to save money you have get more - sounds stupid, but that's the way it is.

D

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Mr. Anderson said:
so in order to save money you have get more - sounds stupid, but that's the way it is.

but spending more doesn't SAVE you more if you don't wanna eat it anyway....

i see what you mean, but it IS silly... you save money by not spending as much=by not ordering the huge sized meal in the first place

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If someone were to put a supersized McD's fries in front of you, would you only eat half? The problem with the food is less the quantity, but more the calorie and carb content. A supersized meal might not fill you up in terms of satiation, but give you more than half your required calories and probably much more than 100% of your fat in one meal.

In college, some friends and I went to McD's, Wendy's and Burger King - buying a huge meal at each one and seeing who would cry uncle first. I don't remember who lost, but I also remember eating more than I had expected.

This is all with in 40 minutes or so and the sizes were a little different from today, it was in the 80s :D :

McD's
BigMac
Large Fries
Large Coke
20 piece McNuggets
Apple Pie

Wendy's
Big Classic - Extra Everything (go ahead, I dare you to order this, if done right they really can't close it in the wrapper :D)
Large Fries
Large Frosty

Burger King
Whopper w/Cheese
Large Fries
Large Coke
Apple Pie

Needless to say we weren't moving too fast after all that, and its not something I'm all that proud of now. But hey, it was college, you're supposed to do some stupid stuff.....

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
man this sucks. i love the supersized, they might as well hand me the key to the fry machines they give me so much. i eat them all and then i see there is the equivilant to a small fry in the bottom of the bag. i know its unhealthy, but i dont eat there to often, but when i do i want to stock up. i get so much food there for like 5 bucks, much more food for the money compared to when i go to chickfila everyday.

iJon

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think I super-sized twice but mostly, I don't like a lot of food. I only go to McDonald's for the Filet o' Fish sandwich anyway. I don't even eat Quarter Pounders anymore.

I just don't understand the need to gourge. It doesn't make you gourgeous.

jasylonian

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
sacramento
booooo!

boo people who eat too much and blame it on the company that gave them a choice. if i ever ate at McDonald's it would just be the supersized fries. just because people can't control themselves doesn't mean that my freedom to choose should be restricted. what a stupid business decision. who's running that joint? some kinda clown? at least there's chipotle. that's like an alcoholic blaming his problems on the maloofs.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
It's a good move, but I don't think it's going to have the effect McDonald's wants. Their business is dwindling because fat people feel guilty eating there and thin people avoid it. They want to refashion themselves as a health-conscious restaurant. But so long as their core meals are deep fried, cheese-laden, red meat health hazards, no amount of tinkering with portions is going to make a difference.

It's as if a coke dealer is advertising that their merchandise is now sold in sterilized plastic baggies. :rolleyes:

richland

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Awimoway said:
Their business is dwindling because fat people feel guilty eating there and thin people avoid it.

Thin people do not avoid mcdonalds.....lol

We flock there :p

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Thus another world icon falls and with it all jokes associated and 25 pounds.

Rower_CPU said:
Kudos to McD for dropping the supersize option, but I still won't go there unless forced at gunpoint. ;)

Im sure this can be arranged... *Two McDonalds Special Agents jump out of nowhere wearing a Ronald McDonald costume and a Hamburgler costume, respectively.*

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
The last time I was at McDonald's was almost a year ago... and I was eating food from Burger King. I don't eat much fast food these days.

But man, do I feel like having a Whopper with medium onion rings and a big glass of water.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
This SUCKS

I like Mc D's, i mean sure its not gourmet, but it is still tasty. I don't go very often either, but when I do the regular sized meal is just not enough, thats why I supersize, I love the fries. Yeah I know its not healthy to eat those every day, but honestly, if you eat McDonalds every day you have problems. Thats like baking a cake and eating it every day. The problem isn't the cake, its the quantity. I'm sick of health nuts telling me not to eat this and not to eat that. If I want to eat it every so often I'm not going to die younger, and if they never eat it they will still die, maybe a few years later, but is a couple years worth dropping all the good food from your life? Not for me. Guess its back to ordering an extra order of fries (probably the REAL reason, now that they have us hooked on large portions they can make more money by making us by extra seperatly. GRRRRRRR)

wdlove said:
My thought on the overeating is that without the super-sized, will it cause the customer to order two now.

I was going to disagree with you, because they probably won't ask you to buy two as they currently offer to supersize it. But, then I remembered, every time I have ever ordered an apple pie, they say "You can have two for $1". I'm not blaming them for those occasions when I lack the self-control to say "No," but if you haven't eaten in a while your eyse do tend to be bigger than your stomach. And, by the time your brain registers that you are full, you've already eaten the extra food that you didn't need. So, I think its a good thing to do away with supersizing, or just don't nag at people to buy it.

"I can give you two Big Mac Meals for just $7.99. That'll save you thiry-six cents!!!"

richland said:
Thin people do not avoid mcdonalds.....lol

We flock there :p
I have a thin and very good-looking friend who just loves McDonald's. When she eats there, she will order her sandwich and a diet Coke, and ask for three fries. She loves the fries, but knows that if she gets a full order, she will eat them all. She does not want to eat that much McDonald's food. But, usually they think she can't afford the fries, feel sorry for her, and just give her a free order. She said "there's one advantage to being black, people always assume you are poor."

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I've never supersized anything in my life. I always just buy two sandwiches and a water. I was on on the atkins diet Loooooooong before there was an atkins diet. I just have always been a huge meat eater. I usually just order two or three quarter pounders and a water. Cheap, and filling.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
agreenster said:
I was on on the atkins diet Loooooooong before there was an atkins diet.

Really? How old are you? The Atkin diet book was first published over 30 years ago! It just got popular again recently.

Personally I distrust the Atkins thing and wouldn't touch it with a really long stick, but if that's what you want to do then go for it!

i think mcdonants should still keep supersizing

i mean since when should they limit our choice just because of stupid people who cant control themselves

responsibility. gah

that said i supersize when im startving coming back froma long road trip or just craving, but i dont do it all the time, in fact its been like 4 months since my last trip to the golden arches

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.