PDA

View Full Version : Refurb Air 1.6 - 999.99 - Apple Refurb Store

Pages : [1] 2

kellen
Jan 6, 2009, 12:52 PM
Just saw Apple has the rev a refurb up for 999.99

Wow, such a drop. Wasn't it last at 1199?

link (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB003LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw)

ninjadex
Jan 6, 2009, 01:14 PM
I believe it had been at $1199, then $1149 for a while. This makes me think that Air really doesn't sell all that well, and they are trying to clear out inventory.

darngooddesign
Jan 6, 2009, 01:25 PM
I believe it had been at $1199, then $1149 for a while. This makes me think that Air really doesn't sell all that well, and they are trying to clear out inventory.

The Rev B sells fine, thats a Rev A, which considering its issues isn't too attractive.

remobot
Jan 6, 2009, 01:36 PM
or $1299 for a refurbished SSD ?

excuse me if this is off topic, but i've been thinking about buying an air as a second computer, and im not looking for a lot of storage or anything, just something functional to travel with and occasionally watch ripped movies through quicktime. would is this be a good purchase ?

alphaxono
Jan 6, 2009, 01:42 PM
I was just looking at that. Looks like a Sweet Deal.
Over here in Europe we don't have these Prices like you do...they had the refurb base 1.6/80 Model for around 1550 USD....i could fly to NY buy an air and still save money...

Triquetra
Jan 6, 2009, 03:05 PM
So for the ripped video question using quicktime? I would say get a macbook. Especially any streaming video.. forget it. You get about a frame a second. That's why they are $999. I just ordered me a MacBook after selling my air.

RaMaz07
Jan 6, 2009, 06:06 PM
dammit. i just bought a MBA from macmall for 1149 last month. Oh well. :o

justit
Jan 6, 2009, 10:56 PM
Okaay... :o :cool:

I bit the bullet and will be returning Rev B SSD (lines issue) and purchased this $999 special. After working with the Rev B it seems I spent far more time on web apps / web mail / browsing and everything else still on my 24" desktop.

Will I miss the Rev B SSD and possibly inherit video/heating issues? Ofcourse, I'd be lying otherwise. But looking forward to a no lines display.

At this price and a 2 week return policy, I think it's a worthwhile risk.

alphaxono
Jan 7, 2009, 07:39 AM
Okaay... :o :cool:

I bit the bullet and will be returning Rev B SSD (lines issue) and purchased this $999 special. After working with the Rev B it seems I spent far more time on web apps / web mail / browsing and everything else still on my 24" desktop.

Will I miss the Rev B SSD and possibly inherit video/heating issues? Ofcourse, I'd be lying otherwise. But looking forward to a no lines display.

At this price and a 2 week return policy, I think it's a worthwhile risk.

I did the same exact thing about 10 days ago. Returned my Rev B SSD
cause my eyes were burning and got myself a Rev A 1.6/80 and could not be happier. You notice the Speed Difference (SSD helps).
But it does all the stuff I wanted to do Mail/Web/Excel/Word and it is actually quite and cool...no youtube hickups no nothing...just a great machine....
REV A ROCKS!!!

Mactagonist
Jan 7, 2009, 07:47 AM
So for the ripped video question using quicktime? I would say get a macbook. Especially any streaming video.. forget it. You get about a frame a second. That's why they are $999. I just ordered me a MacBook after selling my air.

:rolleyes:

No way. I used a Rev A MBA for 10 months before getting my Rev B, streaming video works fine.

Install coolbook and make sure the air vent isnt covered and you will have no problems.

Hey Jude
Jan 7, 2009, 09:54 AM
.......and ordered one. I just couldn't wait until the Rev B's screen issues got resolved.

I hope that I haven't made a gigantic mistake getting the Rev A, though.

Jude

kellen
Jan 7, 2009, 10:10 AM
I really want one! But I guess I will have to keep my MBP. 999 is a steal though.

justit
Jan 7, 2009, 11:14 AM
I hope that I haven't made a gigantic mistake getting the Rev A, though

You'll have 14 days to answer that question.

gkarris
Jan 7, 2009, 11:17 AM
Great deal - but remember that video on this thing, especially with all the "high def" out there, is going to suffer.

Best wait for a deal on the nVidia versions, maybe a price drop for them new not too far off?

yorkshire
Jan 7, 2009, 12:15 PM

I agree, as in the UK refurb store there has been a MBA for 880 that has sold since I first saw it, at the beginning of November. It may have been on the refurb store even longer.

jimboutilier
Jan 7, 2009, 01:15 PM
My MBA Rev A 1.6/2/80 model is 7 months old now. I got it sealed NIB on eBay for $1599 with SuperDrive and 3 Year Applecare and have not had any trouble with it.

It consistently runs cooler than my MB, MBP or iMac under a given load and while it does speed up the fan and warm up anytime video is involved I've never had core shut downs or jittery local video.

I use this machine about 95% of the time now (my poor iMac only gets used occasionally for heavy lifting - large storage, large screen, dvd ripping etc). I expect I could get by with the new RevB as an only machine along with an AirPort drive.

The Rev A hard drive (size and speed) are the most limiting for me. Reloading the OS with custom options to leave out the stuff I don't use, and using Xslimmer on the stuff I do use made a huge difference in both space and performance. Still can't have all my pics, music, and video but can have enough for traveling and now I don't find it a constant struggle to keep enough free HD space.

I'd love a Rev B 1.86/SSD but just can't justify that money when this machine works so well for me. Maybe this will get me to RevC which I'm sure will be even better (2ghz 4gb, 256gb?)

EnderTW
Jan 7, 2009, 01:28 PM
I went in earlier yesterday to test the Rev B 1.86/128ssd.. all I can say is wow. Apple really did it this time. I had the Rev A MBA 1.86/64 and the 1.6/80, and both of them.. were on par to a 350 dollar notebook, yet sometimes WORSE because of the cooling issues in the small form factor.

I can honestly say the new macbook airs are worth the money. They are no longer glorified netbooks. I put 2, not one but 2, Hulu episodes in HD quality in the background, and was still able to stream a 1080p quicktime trailer, NO STUTTERS. Unbelievable.

Rev B should have been what Rev A was.

Rev C will probably have the new battery technology, maybe 2.2ghz 6mb l2 cache, 2gig ddr3, nvidia 9400m, 256 SSD, USB 3.0, mini display, sound. Battery life: 6 hours heavy use, 8 hours semi.

I don't see them putting 4 gig in an ultra portable, but that would be my wish.

levitynyc
Jan 7, 2009, 03:07 PM
I jumped on one of those.

Really good deal.

remobot
Jan 7, 2009, 03:34 PM
i just purchased one as well. i've somehow never owned a notebook, so this will be my first. and i love my imac but this could be the push i need to get me to sell it. so that is neat.

Lancetx
Jan 7, 2009, 03:42 PM
$999 sounds like a fantastic deal to me. My wife and I got a brand new one 3 months ago at Best Buy when they first dropped to $1,299 and we've been quite happy with it. We've had no issues with the cooling or any other problems with it at all.

aaquib
Jan 7, 2009, 03:47 PM
I don't see them putting 4 gig in an ultra portable, but that would be my wish.

Well, considering that as time passes, and there is no real solution to upgrading the RAM, future-proofing the MBA with 4GB seems very viable.

Asides from that, I agree with your other predictions.

Hey Jude
Jan 7, 2009, 06:34 PM
After some thought, I ordered the SSD instead, but alas was too late to cancel the HDD order, so both will ship.

I am still not sure, based on posts that I have read here, if the SSD will make that much of a difference, and if the $300 difference is really a worthy investment. Thoughts?

I have a few days to make up my mind.

Jude

justit
Jan 7, 2009, 06:40 PM
$300 difference is really a worthy investment. Thoughts?

I have a few days to make up my mind.

Jude

Cheapest after market 64GB SSD is about $580, so get it now instead of later. Many switched to Rev B because 64 ended up like 45GB of usable space to install everything. Even the 80GB will probably be small for me but I have a desktop to serve my files.

Really depends on what your needs are, as I have more than one laptop its not that much of a concern for me to have less space.

You will have both in your hands to live with for 2 weeks

tubbymac
Jan 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
This price is extremely tempting. Must... resist... temptation.

Hey Jude
Jan 7, 2009, 08:48 PM
Cheapest after market 64GB SSD is about $580, so get it now instead of later. Many switched to Rev B because 64 ended up like 45GB of usable space to install everything. Even the 80GB will probably be small for me but I have a desktop to serve my files.

Really depends on what your needs are, as I have more than one laptop its not that much of a concern for me to have less space.

You will have both in your hands to live with for 2 weeks

I don't imagine that I will use the computer for anything power intensive: iTunes for music, synching my iPhone, photos, videos, etc. I currently own a white MacBook that I will most likely sell and pick up an iMac for those times when I need more power.

I guess 64GB should be quite enough, but I wondered if I would really realize an advantage in any other area opting for the SSD over HDD.

Thanks for your input, Justit.

Jude

Hey Jude
Jan 7, 2009, 08:49 PM
This price is extremely tempting. Must... resist... temptation.

It is a great price, and you know that you want to:D........

justit
Jan 7, 2009, 10:26 PM
I guess 64GB should be quite enough, but I wondered if I would really realize an advantage in any other area opting for the SSD over HDD.

On the SSD I remember on a suspended state XP on paralells, resuming was faster than my White book 2.2.

If you constantly shutdown during the day, the SSD is nice to boot-up to. I rarely restarted so I didn't benefit as much. One thing I'm not looking forward to is moving files from my desktop to the MBA as the 4200rpm HDD is slower on this.

remobot
Jan 7, 2009, 10:34 PM
i had the same temptation from the ssd, but eventually went with the hdd. $300 did not seem worth it for my situation. let me know what you think about the difference between the two & which one you keep.

goldfronts
Jan 7, 2009, 11:34 PM
Going to buy one of these refurbs in a few months :cool:

kastenbrust
Jan 8, 2009, 12:31 AM
Just saw Apple has the rev a refurb up for $999.99

In the UK you can get them new for that price (about 700)

CBX
Jan 8, 2009, 03:43 AM
In the UK you can get them new for that price (about 700)

Where? Ive never seen them for anywhere near this price!

Cheapest I have seen were 799 at pc world but they were not new or even refurbished - they were ex display!

Hey Jude
Jan 8, 2009, 05:18 AM
On the SSD I remember on a suspended state XP on paralells, resuming was faster than my White book 2.2.

If you constantly shutdown during the day, the SSD is nice to boot-up to. I rarely restarted so I didn't benefit as much. One thing I'm not looking forward to is moving files from my desktop to the MBA as the 4200rpm HDD is slower on this.

I don't like to keep my computer on when not in use, so I have always logged off and shut down, a byproduct of always logging off and shuting down work computers, I guess. This advantage is not exactly worth $300 to me, but quicker bootup is nice to have, if I decide to keep the SSD, which I am 80 percent sure that I will keep.

i had the same temptation from the ssd, but eventually went with the hdd. $300 did not seem worth it for my situation. let me know what you think about the difference between the two & which one you keep.

I did play with an HDD at Best Buy and was surprised at how nibble the computer really was, so I might not even open the box of the computer I won't keep.

Thanks guys,

Jude

kastenbrust
Jan 8, 2009, 05:54 AM
Where? Ive never seen them for anywhere near this price!

Cheapest I have seen were 799 at pc world but they were not new or even refurbished - they were ex display!

John Lewis had some cracking deals on them, but that was about a week ago in the Oxford Street store, they have the same prices online too, but when they run out they remove the product from the website, and they've run out now so i cant check!

CBX
Jan 8, 2009, 06:16 AM
Shame. I would defo have grabbed one at that price!

I considered the pc world one but changed my mind when I found out it was an ex demo - ie not refurbed etc.

iann1982
Jan 8, 2009, 07:31 AM
Hi,

The cheapest i've seen in the UK is 799, I can get it for 770 with work discount, but I'd love to find somewhere doing it for 700.

With the reduction on the refurb store in the US, what are the chances of the price dropping a bit more in the UK? They either have loads or they're not selling.

CBX
Jan 8, 2009, 08:13 AM
To be honest the cheapest I can see at the moment is just under 880 for an apple refurb

justit
Jan 8, 2009, 09:37 AM
I might not even open the box of the computer I won't keep.

Either open or closed, it's the same return policy. Besides, aren't you a little bit curious? ;)

remobot
Jan 8, 2009, 10:08 AM
what exactly is the return policy on a refurbished model ? i tried looking the other day but could not find any information. if anyone could help i would appreciate it. thanks.

bbotte
Jan 8, 2009, 10:12 AM
Why not replace the REV A insides with REV B insides and sell it refurbished? Wouldn't they sell them better?

justit
Jan 8, 2009, 10:42 AM
Why not replace the REV A insides with REV B insides and sell it refurbished? Wouldn't they sell them better?

That's a ponzi scheme :D

.. also the rev b uses display port casing and rev A uses a special mini dvi

SFStateStudent
Jan 8, 2009, 11:00 AM
That's a great price on that MacBook Air. My current MBA was $1699 in August, so I'm wondering where my $700 went?:o

Hey Jude
Jan 8, 2009, 05:00 PM
Either open or closed, it's the same return policy. Besides, aren't you a little bit curious? ;)

I thought that once opened, there is a 15 restocking fee. If that is the case, I am not that curious:D

Jude

BadgerMac
Jan 8, 2009, 07:13 PM
Just ordered one. Slow, etc. I get - I've got a 20" SR iMac and a 17" MBP. I want something thin and easy to carry around for my grad studies (writing, reading 'net, etc). I actually tried to snag one @ Best Buy when they were closing them out @ 1299 but they were out so I still got one and saved $300, I'm content!

Airforcekid
Jan 8, 2009, 08:48 PM
or $1299 for a refurbished SSD ?

excuse me if this is off topic, but i've been thinking about buying an air as a second computer, and im not looking for a lot of storage or anything, just something functional to travel with and occasionally watch ripped movies through quicktime. would is this be a good purchase ?
Yeah but I would get the HHD.

omnirune
Jan 9, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the thread, guys.

I just picked one of these up before Christmas and have been nothing short of happy with the refurbished Macbook Air. My main machine is the iMac 2.4 Core2Duo that I use for the heavy gaming and photoshop work / movies / music.

The macbook air definitely has a slower and smaller hard drive, but my expectations was to use this machine for chat (works great with Adium and colloquy), internet browsing (firefox works fantastically), and to continue learning a foreign language (rosetta stone).

To keep my iMac and Macbook air synchronized filewise, I've been using Dropbox (https://www.getdropbox.com/). This is a great free service that syncs 2 GBs of data into an online back repo and across all machines that you are using it with. Thus, I have a local backup on each machine, the online backup, and a delta-sync that is done once the file is modified in any of the locations. I use this to allow myself to open up MacJournal, Yojimbo, or Rosetta Stone on either my iMac or Macbook air and work from the same data file.

How freakin nice. You guys will love this machine.

So I called up Apple and mentioned the price dropped $150. I've got a credit inbound within 2-3 business days. :)

powerbook911
Jan 9, 2009, 09:21 PM
So do these come in an ugly brown box? I wonder if the batteries say "0 cycles" when you get them, or if the batteries are old? That is an issue being inside the computer.

Please let me know how they look when they arrive. Do they look brand new?

I like the air. I think this is a good deal considering the new ones aren't super power houses yet either.

zer0tails
Jan 9, 2009, 10:24 PM
Rev. A 1.6 Macbook air owners, do you have the lines problem like the rev.B?

kvasir
Jan 9, 2009, 10:42 PM
This is almost good enough to jump on. I'd like a MBA to take to work every day. I use my MBP at work all the time since I have to work on a PC.

I'd really like to have a MBA and a desktop like an iMac or MacMini.

Now if I could only sell my MBP for a decent price...

omnirune
Jan 9, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah, mine came in a white box. The battery had zero cycles on it and as far as I can tell its in new casing as it's a new serial number etched onto the bottom. It appears completely new, complete with protective cover over keyboard and plastic shrinkwrap to peel off the unit. I cannot find a single scratch, anywhere.

ventro
Jan 10, 2009, 12:44 AM
I want to get one of these to complement my Mac Pro. I don't plan on extensive video watching but I do need to do these things:

- Keynote presentations with 3D transitions
- Open up and read / search very large PDFs quickly
- Use on my lap while watching TV, at the airport, etc without making my legs sweat or feel uncomfortable (my Macbook Pro did this)

Is the Rev A up to the task, or should I wait until a refurb Rev B shows up?

levitynyc
Jan 10, 2009, 12:51 AM
Should be fine for you.

remobot
Jan 12, 2009, 11:42 PM
i went with the 1.6/80gb, great condition, it came in a white box and the battery was on it's first cycle when i plugged it in. the screen is perfect. a great purchase as i was planning to get a rev b soon anyway. for my needs the refurbished model is ideal & saved me around $800

zer0tails
Jan 13, 2009, 12:05 AM
i went with the 1.6/80gb, great condition, it came in a white box and the battery was on it's first cycle when i plugged it in. the screen is perfect. a great purchase as i was planning to get a rev b soon anyway. for my needs the refurbished model is ideal & saved me around $800

I hope I am as lucky as you! Ordered the 1.6/80gb refurb on Friday. It should be here by Wednesday. Crossing my fingers for a perfect display and no scratches.

dana203
Jan 14, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'll be logging into my classes after work, probably at the local library or the nearest coffee shop. My current laptop is a budget Dell thing I got because it was fairly powerful for the cheapness, is pretty sturdy, and has a big battery. I'm not looking forward to dragging it to work and also the glossy screen kind of sucks when I'm not watching DVDs in the dark.I've been considering a sub-notebook as a 2nd laptop for class. However, I saw this deal and now I'm considering going for it.

Two concerns:

I need to be sure it won't freeze up during class. My department uses Moodle (http://moodle.org/) for our online classes. We chat and use a live realplayer audio feed. I am often opening up many windows at once, as the teacher links to sources online or to slide presentations.

2. I must drag this around with me while slipping around in slush, battling inclement weather, being shoved and squished by fellow commuters packed on the train, etc. etc. The air looks so delicate. Like I could snap it in half or something with one absent-minded smack. Can it really survive the kind of abuse I'm bound to put it through? (This is why I was leaning towards a netbook that cost less than $500)

travis64
Jan 14, 2009, 05:19 PM
get the ssd 1.8 then for more power

qpid
Jan 14, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'll be logging into my classes after work, probably at the local library or the nearest coffee shop. My current laptop is a budget Dell thing I got because it was fairly powerful for the cheapness, is pretty sturdy, and has a big battery. I'm not looking forward to dragging it to work and also the glossy screen kind of sucks when I'm not watching DVDs in the dark.I've been considering a sub-notebook as a 2nd laptop for class. However, I saw this deal and now I'm considering going for it.

Two concerns:

I need to be sure it won't freeze up during class. My department uses Moodle (http://moodle.org/) for our online classes. We chat and use a live realplayer audio feed. I am often opening up many windows at once, as the teacher links to sources online or to slide presentations.

2. I must drag this around with me while slipping around in slush, battling inclement weather, being shoved and squished by fellow commuters packed on the train, etc. etc. The air looks so delicate. Like I could snap it in half or something with one absent-minded smack. Can it really survive the kind of abuse I'm bound to put it through? (This is why I was leaning towards a netbook that cost less than $500)

Freezing happens to some people, but not all. My significant other's macbook purchased almost a year ago has no problems, so much so that I jumped on this deal and have a SSD model arriving tomorrow.

The air is way sturdier than it looks online, we've taken ours to 6 different countries; by land air and sea. The air holds up remarkably.

sk1nhd33t
Jan 14, 2009, 09:21 PM
any detailed unboxing pics? just curious how it looks compared to a brand new unit.

travis64
Jan 14, 2009, 10:16 PM
look on youtube

what do u think the next price drop will be and when

i say next mnth

1.6=949
1.8=1199

justit
Jan 14, 2009, 10:55 PM
i say next mnth

1.6=949
1.8=1199

Apple has a 30 day price protection policy

travis64
Jan 15, 2009, 12:46 AM
i know i dont think these will be in the store to much longer then 30 days after that they will go down

justit
Jan 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
any detailed unboxing pics? just curious how it looks compared to a brand new unit.

You want pictures of a refurb white box instead of the black box? After owning 4 new MBAs and this refurb, the box color and a perfectly wound power cable is the only difference.

I'd say they sold me unsold inventory. :)

Hey Jude
Jan 15, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'd say they sold me unsold inventory. :)

My battery had one cycle, and only three months old, according to iStat. I think that my unit (will unbox the HDD model on Saturday) is also new.

Jude

zer0tails
Jan 15, 2009, 12:31 PM
It all worked out for the best, sent my return in today, and getting the 1.8/64GB SSD instead as replacement.

Hope I have a flawless refurb this time. :)

edit: for those with the Rev. A SSD version, is it considerably snappier than the HDD? i like snappy :P

DeuceDeuce
Jan 15, 2009, 04:02 PM
Just purchased the $999 version, hope I don't regret it. It will replace my 1st Gen MBP since I don't use it for anything labor intensive since buying my Mac Pro.

zer0tails
Jan 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
could some of the forum members who bought the 1.8/64 MBA share their thoughts on its general usage experience when multi-tasking?

thanks

lankox
Jan 15, 2009, 04:59 PM
could some of the forum members who bought the 1.8/64 MBA share their thoughts on its general usage experience when multi-tasking?

thanks

I would like to hear opinions on this as well. Amazing that a year ago, that model was selling for $3098 and is now $1299.

Hey Jude
Jan 15, 2009, 08:19 PM

thanks

I have only used my computer for a few hours last night, and I just got home and logged on. I did, however, last night attempted to put the machine through the paces, and it wasn't bad at all. I had youtube video playing, Nip and Tuck on fancast, and windows opened. By the way, a window opened while watching Nip and Tuck, stated that the computer is struggling, and requested permission to run an optimization program. I clicked yes, and show played fine. The fan shot up to a little over 6200rpm, and the computer got quite hot, but not unbearably so (it was on the bed, not my lap).

Also of note, even though the fans were going crazy, I could not hear them. I hope that coolbook will help with the warmth, but all in all, I am a happy camper.

Jude

qpid
Jan 15, 2009, 08:20 PM
I got my 1.8/64gb today and did an erase an install with the superdrive we bought for my wife's air, i installed without other languages, printer drivers (seriously 3.6gb???), garageband, idvd or x11

compared to my wife's 1.6/80gb it does feel snappier and is also quieter without that occasional click on the hd parking its heads.

zer0tails
Jan 15, 2009, 09:23 PM
thank you Hey Jude and qpid for sharing :) I was wondering if ya'all encountered any lag when say having word, ichat or adium, itunes and safari with 7 tabs open concurrently?

lankox
Jan 15, 2009, 10:41 PM
I got my 1.8/64gb today and did an erase an install with the superdrive we bought for my wife's air, i installed without other languages, printer drivers (seriously 3.6gb???), garageband, idvd or x11

compared to my wife's 1.6/80gb it does feel snappier and is also quieter without that occasional click on the hd parking its heads.

Thanks for the response! What's the difference in application launch times when compared to your wife's Air?

nph
Jan 15, 2009, 11:16 PM
qpid, a few questions:
- How hot does it get?
- Can you handle HD videos on cbs.com (if you cant does it help if you download Flash 10)

Thanks!

Trying to decide between Rev A or Rev B...

qpid
Jan 16, 2009, 06:13 AM
Normal application launch does not feel any different. However resuming from standby or sleep is definently faster. Also there is an eerie feeling still when the SSD is turned on and I get ready to press the button again because I'm not sure it's coming on, due to not hearing the hard drive.

So right out of the box after my erase and installness that I explained in a previous post and just running apple updates, I was able to watch cbs.com in hd no problem (had to force myself to watch the victoria secret fashion show, hehe) Also for fun/torture I decided to try wow on this machine and can say that after 30+ of walking around Ironforge the air did not get hot at all, and I barely heard the fans.

One final thing, this "refurb" had to have been a left over new machine. The plastic wrap was still on it and the serial number did not start with an R like most refurbs I've seen from apple.

Patricio
Jan 16, 2009, 02:08 PM
Just got my RevA 1.6 refurb air in today. In appearance it is flawless...EVERYTHING looks and feels brand new. Also it seems to be functioning just fine. Battery charge is on 1st cycle. For what it is worth, I also ordered a refurb superdrive and it also seems brand new!

Thanks to all who have posted. Your feedback helped me make an informed decision that, as of now, I am very happy with! :D

fatalist
Jan 16, 2009, 02:57 PM
Can't believe this opportunity. I was looking at these machines last summer and thinking they were pricey for a second machine. How much things have changed! :cool:

Enjoy your Mac!

cheapa55
Jan 16, 2009, 03:36 PM
Is everyone so far happy with the purchase? I'm really having a hard time deciding. I have a 24" iMac, a alum Macbook 2.4ghz (giving to wife if I get the Air).

I've been reading that we can try it for 30days? Is there a restocking fee if returned?

flipside217
Jan 16, 2009, 04:08 PM
i think its 15 day return policy and 10% re stocking fee. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll take some pics and post a review later one this week.

aprilzephyr
Jan 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
I was wondering how long did it take everyone to receive your refurb macbook air? I ordered mine last Friday right after the dc-in board on my aging 12" PowerBook G4 died, and my FedEx delivery notification link showed no status update since Saturday until today and it says my air will not be delivered until early next week (more than the 5 business days Apple states). I'm currently in NY, and the package was dispatched from California. I'm reading through the forums, and many of you reported that your package arrived in 2 days! I wished!

In contrast, I had ordered a few things from ebay and ifixit.com, shipping from California, on Tuesday, and I received them and repaired my PowerBook's dc-in board by last night! Well, at least I have 1 working computer now...

flipside217
Jan 16, 2009, 04:16 PM
I was wondering how long did it take everyone to receive your refurb macbook air? I ordered mine last Friday right after the dc-in board on my aging 12" PowerBook G4 died, and my FedEx delivery notification link showed no status update since Saturday until today and it says my air will not be delivered until early next week (more than the 5 business days Apple states). I'm currently in NY, and the package was dispatched from California. I'm reading through the forums, and many of you reported that your package arrived in 2 days! I wished!

In contrast, I had ordered a few things from ebay and ifixit.com, shipping from California, on Tuesday, and I received them and repaired my PowerBook's dc-in board by last night! Well, at least I have 1 working computer now...

Mine arrived in 2-3 days. I live in S. Cali though. Ground shipping across the country should take around 5 days or so, so i guess thats right.

cheapa55
Jan 16, 2009, 04:29 PM
i think its 15 day return policy and 10% re stocking fee. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll take some pics and post a review later one this week.
I wasn't sure if it's different for refurb items.

asoccorso
Jan 17, 2009, 01:07 AM

i ordered mine on the 9th and am scheduled for a delivery tomorrow. im also in new york but whats alittle annoying is talking to fedex for days and them not knowing where my package was until today since the 10th which is when it was shipped. apple is awesome but should probably switch to ups because this is the worst experience ive eber had with shipping and receiving.

DeuceDeuce
Jan 17, 2009, 01:35 AM
I ordered mine yesterday (Thursday) at 3:00pm PST and it arrived today (Friday) at 2:45pm PST.

Im in Southern California.

travis64
Jan 17, 2009, 01:41 AM
stop buying em the price will go down again in feb just like it has been

DeuceDeuce
Jan 17, 2009, 01:48 AM

Then why buy them in Feb? Shouldn't I then wait until March... oh wait, then I should just wait till April or May... Oh crap, when could I actually start using the laptop? :confused:

flipside217
Jan 17, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hey guys, got my mba today. Everything looks brand new including the accessories with no scratches what so ever. Even has that new computer smell just like when you open up a brand new spindle of blank cds. Maybe its a brand new mba where they just stuff it in a refurbished box?? There is about 5 cycles on the battery. There is one slight problem when I'm surfing the internet with safari it can be slow loading up web pages sometimes. Hopefully this will go away. As for a new mac user, i'm happy with my purchase so far. Thanks for all the input guys and help guys!

Aea
Jan 17, 2009, 02:22 AM
I ordered mine yesterday (Thursday) at 3:00pm PST and it arrived today (Friday) at 2:45pm PST.

Im in Southern California.

I ordered on the 14th and my estimated arrival date is the 20th :(

Denver, with "2 Day" expedited shipping.

DeuceDeuce
Jan 17, 2009, 02:31 AM
I ordered on the 14th and my estimated arrival date is the 20th :(

Denver, with "2 Day" expedited shipping.

They have 24 hours to ship it so if it shipped on the 15th that makes sense because of the holiday. I paid the $20 to get it over night rather then wait 5 days with standard shipping and got lucky they got it out the same day I ordered it.

zer0tails
Jan 17, 2009, 03:37 AM
Then why buy them in Feb? Shouldn't I then wait until March... oh wait, then I should just wait till April or May... Oh crap, when could I actually start using the laptop? :confused:

wahahaha you're absolutely right and I agree. My own opinion is that we won't see anymore price cuts to the rev a. MBA considering its current price already. If i listened to travis64, by May the MBA should be around $500 and another 5 months later..free? Lol :p

fatalist
Jan 17, 2009, 07:06 AM

+++ ;)

fatalist
Jan 17, 2009, 07:11 AM
wahahaha you're absolutely right and I agree. My own opinion is that we won't see anymore price cuts to the rev a. MBA considering its current price already. If i listened to travis64, by May the MBA should be around $500 and another 5 months later..free? Lol :p

Exactly. The version i ordered is already 50% off.

Ordered just after midnight on 16 Jan and they shipped it from So Cal 16 Jan just after noon their time.

Should reach the frozen north by Tuesday (?)

qpid
Jan 17, 2009, 08:04 AM
My computer with standard shipping (ssd model) took exactly 5 business days to show up, well six since I missed it the first time...

zap2
Jan 17, 2009, 08:11 AM
Ooooo....I so want one of these bad boys

The Rev A does worry be just a bit, but ooo, so nice!

Hey Jude
Jan 17, 2009, 08:38 AM
i ordered mine on the 9th and am scheduled for a delivery tomorrow. im also in new york but whats alittle annoying is talking to fedex for days and them not knowing where my package was until today since the 10th which is when it was shipped. apple is awesome but should probably switch to ups because this is the worst experience ive eber had with shipping and receiving.

My computer arrived in six days total, four business, and my units when out on the day of the order. Apple's shipping is usually super quick, so I didn't pay for expedited shipping and regretted it.

Apple will honor price cuts within 30 days, so there was no incentive for me to wait.

Precisely:D

Glaxx
Jan 17, 2009, 10:23 AM
Can anyone share battery life numbers they are getting? I would like to see the difference from the HDD to the SDD. I'm considering picking one of these up, but can't decide which model.

Thanks.

Turmoil
Jan 17, 2009, 10:44 AM
So I ordered the 1.6 HD on Tuesday night way after "end of business" and got it yesterday before noon. :) (normal free shipping to Seattle)

I'm thrilled. I thought about taking pics and then just felt too silly. Besides I wanted to play!

It's a lovely machine. It's running cool and quiet and I haven't noticed any issues. I played video from cbs.com - the first time it didn't like it but after I installed the latest flash they play fine.

It really is a beautiful machine and I can't tell it from a brand new machine. No flaws at all.

This will be my personal home machine, used mostly for communication (web email chat) controlling other computers with VNC (I'm really happy with the JollyFast VNC client) and some light photo/graphic work -maybe even some light gaming (I am hopeful that UT2004 will run).

Anyway, I am thrilled and will hang on the forum for a while to share my experiences.

asoccorso
Jan 17, 2009, 09:21 PM
like i said before i ordered on the 9th and got mine this morning the 17th and this machine is flawless cant find one flaw and have spent all day trying to find one. battery count was 3 rite after first boot and is actually alittle faster than my whitebook. i would definantly suggest this refurbished deal since im extremely happy and anal about apple products. ill post unboxing photos soon since i haven't seen any around the web for people who are wondering what refurbished is all about.

aprilzephyr
Jan 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
like i said before i ordered on the 9th and got mine this morning the 17th and this machine is flawless cant find one flaw and have spent all day trying to find one. battery count was 3 rite after first boot and is actually alittle faster than my whitebook. i would definantly suggest this refurbished deal since im extremely happy and anal about apple products. ill post unboxing photos soon since i haven't seen any around the web for people who are wondering what refurbished is all about.

That's great to hear you finally got yours. I'm still waiting for mine, bought on the 9th and shipped on the 10th too. FedEx says it is currently in Brooklyn waiting for delivery on the next business day (I had it shipped to work because I thought it was getting here by the 16th, the latest). Unfortunately, my office is closed tomorrow, so it's looking like Tuesday is the earliest I will be receiving it.

I'm actually having second thoughts though about the 1.6ghz Rev A, but good to hear others are enjoying theirs. In response to travis64, I was going to wait for prices, at least for the Rev B, to drop before buying, and I thought I had time to wait it out, but with my powerbook dying coupled with the new lower price, it seemed like a good time as any to buy. A bit of an ironic situation because I ended up fixing my laptop (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/3201944361_c785a76a76.jpg) (6 hours of work, btw, for a novice like me) before even receiving the new one :p

Glaxx, if I understand correctly, you're trying to find comparisons on battery life btwn the pata vs the ssd? I found this section (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3226&p=16) of anandtech's MBA Rev A review helpful.

Lancetx
Jan 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
Apple's official price policy....

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price.

fatalist
Jan 18, 2009, 12:34 PM
Glaxx, if I understand correctly, you're trying to find comparisons on battery life btwn the pata vs the ssd? I found this section (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3226&p=16) of anandtech's MBA Rev A review helpful.
Thanks for that article. Very interesting. :cool:

Glaxx
Jan 18, 2009, 02:45 PM

Thanks, that's really helpful!

kvasir
Jan 18, 2009, 04:48 PM
Just ordered the 1.6/HD today with an InCase sleeve. It was too good to pass up. I'll be picking up a new iMac when they are released. Don't do much but use Word, Excel, Pages, Keynote, Safari, Firefox, and iPhoto (and not all at once). The iMac will be our workhorse machine since we both have laptops. The Air is going with me to work every day!

Should I spring for the SuperDrive? Also, I need another powerbrick. Should I just hit eBay?

I'll be wiping it clean once it arrives. Hopefully remote disk won't be too much of a hassle with my wife's MacBook.

I'm excited I don't do too much video, but the occasional hiccup won't kill me. My MBP was overkill for what I used it for. Plus, I have a 22" ext. monitor to hook it up to until I get the iMac.

asoccorso
Jan 19, 2009, 12:52 AM
i noticed that there wasn't much info such as pictures or unboxing of the refurbished macbook air so i decided to post a really quick video off of my iphone for everyone. i purchased the 1.6ghz/80gb hdd and got it two days ago and havent had an issue at all yet and i running this thing hard at work and at home and no complaints.
:):apple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQjGsbnyJm4

puma1552
Jan 19, 2009, 01:26 AM
when you buy a refurb'd air, what is new and what is reused?

travis64
Jan 19, 2009, 01:29 AM
nice vid

Tom Baker
Jan 19, 2009, 02:30 AM
Despite the Rev-A's shortcomings, at this price it's a fairly attractive pick.

If you really are Apple's target customer - total WiFi setup at home, download movies from the iTunes Store, and don't rely on your disc drive too much -- and of course don't expect wonders of performance -- then this would be a fine choice.

Whimsy
Jan 19, 2009, 02:55 AM
i noticed that there wasn't much info such as pictures or unboxing of the refurbished macbook air so i decided to post a really quick video off of my iphone for everyone. i purchased the 1.6ghz/80gb hdd and got it two days ago and havent had an issue at all yet and i running this thing hard at work and at home and no complaints.

Thanks for the video! I've been looking at those refurb Air's for a while now. Ironically, I have those same EXACT bed sheets. :p

tubbymac
Jan 19, 2009, 03:20 AM
i noticed that there wasn't much info such as pictures or unboxing of the refurbished macbook air so i decided to post a really quick video off of my iphone for everyone.

Thanks for the video, it's making it even harder to resist the thing :) I completely forgot that you get adapters with the rev A for both VGA and DVI until I was reminded from your video. I think in rev B Apple decided to be a bunch of cheapskates and no longer include the adapters.

How'd you take the video with your iPhone?

zer0tails
Jan 19, 2009, 04:44 AM

loved the vid. well done, thank you! :D

p.s. killer tats

justit
Jan 19, 2009, 08:52 AM
Despite the Rev-A's shortcomings, at this price it's a fairly attractive pick.

If you really are Apple's target customer - total WiFi setup at home, download movies from the iTunes Store, and don't rely on your disc drive too much -- and of course don't expect wonders of performance -- then this would be a fine choice.

Gotta love comments from those that have never owned one. :)

That's an old school line of thinking. Having a home wifi is not a shortcoming, neither is sharing a CD drive, or owning an external USB drive. And as far as performance it comparable to a 2007 MBP.

asoccorso
Jan 19, 2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the video, it's making it even harder to resist the thing :) I completely forgot that you get adapters with the rev A for both VGA and DVI until I was reminded from your video. I think in rev B Apple decided to be a bunch of cheapskates and no longer include the adapters.

How'd you take the video with your iPhone?

i actually unlocked/jailbroke my iphone 3g and once doing that the jalibreak allows you to record video and or livestream video. its actually pretty good guality when done rite but when not it looks like my video (thanks to my gf who took the video)lol

asoccorso
Jan 19, 2009, 10:29 AM
when you buy a refurb'd air, what is new and what is reused?

from what i was told the internals are used and the case is not. im not too sure how accurate that is but from the way mine looks and feels and performs and according to the info on my os its brand new. it looks like its only been used to be tested by the apple techs:apple:

aprilzephyr
Jan 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
Finally received my rev A! I went into the office today, despite the holiday, just to wait for FedEx guy :D

The air looks fairly brand new except for one tiny nick on the top left of the screen bezel - hardly worth crying over. Battery cycle is 4. So far so good except the fan went crazy for a bit as I was trying to install a few things...

maroonedspaz
Jan 19, 2009, 03:11 PM
Okay so my main laptop is my 13 white macbook , im looking to buy the 999 macbook air to take to uni and take notes and casually browse the internet nothing to heavy. So is this 1.6 gh going to be fine for me , i dont play online games , dont use any photo editing programs , dont care for no cd drive ? Will i be pleased with this refurb ?

dborja
Jan 19, 2009, 03:37 PM
Okay so my main laptop is my 13 white macbook , im looking to buy the 999 macbook air to take to uni and take notes and casually browse the internet nothing to heavy. So is this 1.6 gh going to be fine for me , i dont play online games , dont use any photo editing programs , dont care for no cd drive ? Will i be pleased with this refurb ?

It should do plenty fine for what you describe...

dingus
Jan 19, 2009, 03:46 PM
Mine comes tomorrow; something to mess with for a month before for my 17" uniMBP show up. Then I gift it off because I'm a hero.

S my D, recession.

silverthunder
Jan 19, 2009, 06:34 PM
Mine comes tomorrow; something to mess with for a month before for my 17" uniMBP show up. Then I gift it off because I'm a hero.

S my D, recession.

:D Same thing here...

Mine comes in Wenesday and I'm also waiting for a 17"... In the mean time, I'm using a unibody MBP 15"...

I have been throwing so much money at Apple since I made the switch from a Blackberry to iPhone and then from windows to OSX... I have done my part for the economy...

kvasir
Jan 19, 2009, 08:15 PM
Mine will be here tomorrow. I'll get it at work and I have basketball practice and a meeting after that. That really stinks.

I've been using my wife's MacBook for a few days and I really like it. I'm sure I'll love the Air...

Aea
Jan 19, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just got "mine," came in a plain white box, all new accessories, and it's perfect. Currently updating and doing some basic configuration before I end up giving it away, I almost wish I had bought two right now.

Johnner1999
Jan 19, 2009, 11:25 PM
so with the firmware update that came out a few months ago -- is video playback OK? I'll be using it for web/mail/FB and some Keynote and iwork stuff

I have a 24" iMac as well for video editing and gaming etc etc

thanks
John

children
Jan 20, 2009, 12:40 AM
does anyone know if and when the refurb macbook air price will fall in australia? its been $1899au for a long time now.. ($1258us) for the 1.6ghz hdd option..

anyone think it will ever fall to $1500au ($999us)?

hobbbz
Jan 20, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'm more excited about the new Alu MBPs showing up for quite cheap. Even compared to the student discount.

kellen
Jan 20, 2009, 01:53 AM
Wow. So on the edge if I should get one. Probably shouldn't as I have a MBP, but we will see.

Someone post a problem so I don't want one so much.

jono_3
Jan 20, 2009, 01:58 AM
thats so crazy, for that price you could get one and just keep it in the car like a big ipod touch

NATO
Jan 20, 2009, 02:08 AM
Anyone tried running Coconut Battery to see how their battery was? Mine came with 13 cycles on the battery, overall battery capacity at 96% (now 95%)

DeuceDeuce
Jan 20, 2009, 02:22 AM
Anyone tried running Coconut Battery to see how their battery was? Mine came with 13 cycles on the battery, overall battery capacity at 96% (now 95%)

Mine came with 6 Cycles after my first full charge and 98% which has since gone up.

mhnajjar
Jan 20, 2009, 02:40 AM
Wow. So on the edge if I should get one. Probably shouldn't as I have a MBP, but we will see.

It is not worth the money since it won't even play videos well enough to enjoy!

Add few hundreds more and get revB.

DeuceDeuce
Jan 20, 2009, 02:49 AM

I really must be missing something. Every video I have attempted to play works fine on my 1.6 HDD refurb. I did the cbs HD test, youtube, and any other website I play videos at normally and all in full screen. The video looks just like it does on my Mac Pro. What exactly is the problem with these machines?

NATO
Jan 20, 2009, 03:47 AM
I really must be missing something. Every video I have attempted to play works fine on my 1.6 HDD refurb. I did the cbs HD test, youtube, and any other website I play videos at normally and all in full screen. The video looks just like it does on my Mac Pro. What exactly is the problem with these machines?

Nothing's wrong. My RevA 1.6HDD refurb machine is awesome, it's played every video I've thrown at it like a champ, it's actually a very capable machine, I certainly haven't noticed it being noticeably slower for casual use than my MacBook Pro.

Hey Jude
Jan 20, 2009, 06:49 AM

My battery came with only one charge, according to both coconutbattery and istat.

Jude

cheapa55
Jan 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
Are the refurbs marked on the actual notebook with a specific 'refurb' serial number? Besides the white box, how do we know it's a refurb?

dborja
Jan 20, 2009, 05:41 PM
Are the refurbs marked on the actual notebook with a specific 'refurb' serial number? Besides the white box, how do we know it's a refurb?

The part number begins with an "F" instead of an "M"...

kvasir
Jan 20, 2009, 06:18 PM
I received my new 1.6/80 today and I absolutely love it. I don't know what the complaints are about. I did the YouTube, CBS.com, TwitLive.tv, and Hulu test and no issues. It gets about as hot as my MBP did. Performance wise, it's a little pokey when you're using anything from the disk, but web browsing is quick (sometimes a bit faster than my 1.83 MBP). I do miss my 7200 RPM hard disk, but for what I'm using it for, it will do just fine.

The battery had 8 cycles and is still charging. I'm not used to the LED backlight and goodness it's blinding! The screen is crisp and beautiful, but it might burn my retinas.

Off to reinstall Leopard and slim down this install. I don't need iDVD or all of these languages.

EDIT: Forgot the best part: No high pitched buzz/squeal! That bothered me about my MBP for so long. It's scary how silent this thing is.

Turmoil
Jan 20, 2009, 07:05 PM

My refurb rev a, plays video just fine.

econoline06
Jan 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
Purchased one for my girlfriend. Outstanding computer. Flawless refurb, amazing build quality :)

econoline06
Jan 20, 2009, 07:33 PM
I received my new 1.6/80 today and I absolutely love it. I don't know what the complaints are about. I did the YouTube, CBS.com, TwitLive.tv, and Hulu test and no issues. It gets about as hot as my MBP did. Performance wise, it's a little pokey when you're using anything from the disk, but web browsing is quick (sometimes a bit faster than my 1.83 MBP). I do miss my 7200 RPM hard disk, but for what I'm using it for, it will do just fine.

The battery had 8 cycles and is still charging. I'm not used to the LED backlight and goodness it's blinding! The screen is crisp and beautiful, but it might burn my retinas.

Off to reinstall Leopard and slim down this install. I don't need iDVD or all of these languages.

EDIT: Forgot the best part: No high pitched buzz/squeal! That bothered me about my MBP for so long. It's scary how silent this thing is.

Agreed, outstanding screen quality, very bright, instant on. I find it just fine for normal college tasks. It performs just as well as my 2.1Ghz Macbook (last revision before Alu).

mhnajjar
Jan 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
Are you guys saying that the refurbished machines do not suffer from anything that the NEW revAs usually suffer? :confused:

BTW, why are you paying $1000 + tax for a refurbished machine compared to $1150 shipped for a NEW machine?

kvasir
Jan 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
Because it's still cheaper for me with tax. Also, I detest rebates. Aside from the box, I couldn't tell this is a refurbished machine. It looks great!

travis64
Jan 20, 2009, 08:16 PM
rebates suck thats y

mhnajjar
Jan 20, 2009, 08:25 PM
Okay thanks guys, but how come none of you facing the well-known revA issues with these machines?

High temperatures? Core-shutdown? Stuttering?

BTW, any of you suffering from the "lines" on there screens or any light bleeding?

asoccorso
Jan 20, 2009, 09:22 PM
Okay thanks guys, but how come none of you facing the well-known revA issues with these machines?

High temperatures? Core-shutdown? Stuttering?

BTW, any of you suffering from the "lines" on there screens or any light bleeding?

im not suffering at all from any lines at all nor am i suffering from core shutdown. the machine does get hot but not as much as my macbook.

what do you mean by light bleeding ?

jhkingsr
Jan 20, 2009, 09:28 PM
No problems with the refurb 1.8/64 (55)gb SSD I received last week. Love this thing..........

cheapa55
Jan 20, 2009, 09:29 PM
The part number begins with an "F" instead of an "M"...

Thanks! With so many good reports on the refurb, I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

mhnajjar
Jan 20, 2009, 09:32 PM
im not suffering at all from any lines at all nor am i suffering from core shutdown. the machine does get hot but not as much as my macbook.

what do you mean by light bleeding ?

If you have a black background or watching a cinematic video with full screen brightness, then you could see bright spots mostly on the bottom part of the screen appearing as mountains. It also happens as a horizontal strip on the top of the screen.

The core-shutdowns, were reduced through Apple's latest firmware, however the extreme temperatures made the MBA revA totally unusable for me. I enjoyed the temperatures of revB, but the screen is totally ruined by the lines!

I am glad that you are enjoying your machine so far and I hope that this enjoyment continues :)

asoccorso
Jan 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
If you have a black background or watching a cinematic video with full screen brightness, then you could see bright spots mostly on the bottom part of the screen appearing as mountains. It also happens as a horizontal strip on the top of the screen.

The core-shutdowns, were reduced through Apple's latest firmware, however the extreme temperatures made the MBA revA totally unusable for me. I enjoyed the temperatures of revB, but the screen is totally ruined by the lines!

I am glad that you are enjoying your machine so far and I hope that this enjoyment continues :)
no i havent noticed the bleeding at all but thatnks man i hope it lasts too :apple:

travis64
Jan 20, 2009, 10:53 PM
1.8 80gb is on refurb list again but now for 1099 instead of 1399

puma1552
Jan 20, 2009, 11:04 PM
1.8 80gb is on refurb list again but now for 1099 instead of 1399

yeah i saw that just a little while ago...perhaps refurb rev b models are right arounf the corner??

RayK
Jan 21, 2009, 12:21 AM
Read all the great things on the site and decided to take the plunge on the SSD version. I can't wait!

EnderTW
Jan 21, 2009, 01:18 AM
There is no way that the 1.6/80gig hd rev A will play CBS HD with OUT stutters, or even Hulu HD fullscreen without stutter.

I just don't believe it.

I had one. Full screen hulu HD, without coolbook? I don't believe it.

DeuceDeuce
Jan 21, 2009, 01:37 AM
There is no way that the 1.6/80gig hd rev A will play CBS HD with OUT stutters, or even Hulu HD fullscreen without stutter.

I just don't believe it.

I had one. Full screen hulu HD, without coolbook? I don't believe it.

Guess because YOU dont believe it that means everyone else is lying. If you would like you can come to So Cal and check for yourself on mine. Let me know... ;)

travis64
Jan 21, 2009, 01:56 AM
can some1 make a youtube video and prove it?thanks

mhnajjar
Jan 21, 2009, 03:45 AM
It is impossible because I remember that my revA used to stutter while playing HQ videos let alone HD :eek:

Please make a youtube video showing us how your superMBA and please do not forget to show us the display port so we can tell that it is a revA :p

None of us is saying that you are lying but it is just plain IMPOSSIBLE due to the fact that the revA is a NETBOOK no matter what Steve Jobs say because it is a useless piece of JUNK!

flipside217
Jan 22, 2009, 12:36 PM
here is a 720p video test I did. The trailer was downloaded from apple's website. Make sure you watch it in High Quality mode. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkcDYMIIrZ0

travis64
Jan 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
cool but isnt the problem supposed to be with flash?u were useing quicktime

gkarris
Jan 22, 2009, 12:55 PM
here is a 720p video test I did. The trailer was downloaded from apple's website. Make sure you watch it in High Quality mode. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkcDYMIIrZ0

Don't trailers have a lower bitrate than purchased video?

Could you try one?

The one I try on my systems is "My Own Worst Enemy" in HD from iTunes.

flipside217
Jan 22, 2009, 01:11 PM
cool but isnt the problem supposed to be with flash?u were useing quicktime

hehe i guess i can make another video. :p I did have problems playing HD hulu and cbs videos but after I updated to the new flash player everything was fine.

Don't trailers have a lower bitrate than purchased video?

Could you try one?

The one I try on my systems is "My Own Worst Enemy" in HD from iTunes.

I usually dont watch HD movies on my computers/laptop. But if i end up getting a an HD video from itunes i'll make another video. In the mean time would you like to share? :D

silverthunder
Jan 22, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Guys,

I received mine yesterday (1.6,80hd)

I haven't tried any 720p videos but it played everything fine without any hiccups. I was a bit worried after reading this thread, it slower then my unibody MBP but it is pretty speedy overall. The form factor is great, it's light and beautiful...

A very good deal!

dborja
Jan 22, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I received mine yesterday (1.6,80hd)

I haven't tried any 720p videos but it played everything fine without any hiccups. I was a bit worried after reading this thread, it slower then my unibody MBP but it is pretty speedy overall. The form factor is great, it's light and beautiful...

A very good deal!

Congrats! I bought the same one and I've had no problems either. It just got a little warm and the fan went up to 6000RPM when I was re-installing Mac OS X and installing apps (heavy disk activity) but no hiccup or core shutdown. It's perfect for what I need it for...:)

asoccorso
Jan 22, 2009, 04:55 PM
i decided to post a video of a refurbished macbook air hd test 1280 x 720:apple:
heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruy6LIJLBv0

mhnajjar
Jan 22, 2009, 06:00 PM
i decided to post a video of a refurbished macbook air hd test 1280 x 720:apple:
heres the link:

Thanks for that video. You just confirmed my words that the MBA revA is GARBAGE since your video stuttered over 25 times :eek:

For everyone who bought this junk, please save your money and add some more to it and get the revA or go and get the Vaio TT if you need the portability.

MBA revA = sucks big time.
MBA revB = defective screeeeeeeens!

Apple = worst company when it comes to new products.
However, I still love their products and that might not last long if this continues!

hunterd
Jan 22, 2009, 07:47 PM
I did the same exact thing about 10 days ago. Returned my Rev B SSD
cause my eyes were burning and got myself a Rev A 1.6/80 and could not be happier. You notice the Speed Difference (SSD helps).
But it does all the stuff I wanted to do Mail/Web/Excel/Word and it is actually quite and cool...no youtube hickups no nothing...just a great machine....
REV A ROCKS!!!

What do you mean your eyes were burning? I thought the screens were the same between the models....

justit
Jan 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
Wow large thread, seems many are claiming Rev A is junk.

Can we all agree that Jan 08 was a premature release of the MBA? The software just wasn't there compared to today.

Can we also conclude that the latest refurb Rev A are actually a 'new' revision since no one that has recently purchased, like me, is having the same issues early 08 buyers had.

I'm playing youtube HD just fine with the latest software.

mhnajjar
Jan 22, 2009, 08:01 PM
Wow large thread, seems many are claiming Rev A is junk.

Can we all agree that Jan 08 was a premature release of the MBA? The software just wasn't there compared to today.

Can we also conclude that the latest refurb Rev A are actually a 'new' revision since no one that has recently purchased, like me, is having the same issues early 08 buyers had.

I'm playing youtube HD just fine with the latest software.

What would you say about the video asoccorso posted?

:confused:

zer0tails
Jan 22, 2009, 08:33 PM
Humble Request : could those with the Rev. A 1.6/80 share what LCD panel they have? I have a Rev A. 1.8/64 and my panel is a 9C73 :)

thanks in advance

kvasir
Jan 22, 2009, 08:37 PM

While I'll agree that I do see some subtle stutters, it's not incredibly painful to watch. My 360 does the same thing with Netflix. It's not perfect, but it works when I'm inbetween disks. You're making it sound like it's just the worst thing in the world, but did you stop to think that not everyone uses a machine just like you do? You're putting a lot of effort and passion into a vendetta that is not worthy of your time.

Accept that you're not happy with it (along with others) and some are. I've used an EEE PC, Aspire One, and MacBook Air, and they all seem very capable in their own right. To each his own I guess.

In short...chill out.

kvasir
Jan 22, 2009, 08:39 PM
Humble Request : could those with the Rev. A 1.6/80 share what LCD panel they have? I have a Rev A. 1.8/64 and my panel is a 9C73 :)

thanks in advance

9C6F

mcpryon2
Jan 22, 2009, 10:02 PM
9C6F

Same with me, 9C6F. 1.6GHz/80GB.

zer0tails
Jan 22, 2009, 10:53 PM
cool thanks guys. I hope my replacement has a 9c65 screen too. Sending my current MBA back tomorrow as the airport card broke

treoguy
Jan 23, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm jumping at this deal. I had the 1.6Ghz 80GB and thought it was sluggish. Taking a chance that the bumped up processor and SSD will resolve those issues for me. Hard to say no to a computer that was $3098 just 6 months ago and has dropped to $1299. I realize the new models are rocking, but so is the price. Worse case, the resale on this model is going to be pretty good.

zer0tails
Jan 23, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm jumping at this deal. I had the 1.6Ghz 80GB and thought it was sluggish. Taking a chance that the bumped up processor and SSD will resolve those issues for me. Hard to say no to a computer that was $3098 just 6 months ago and has dropped to $1299. I realize the new models are rocking, but so is the price. Worse case, the resale on this model is going to be pretty good.

yeah the 1.8 with SSD is definitely snappier. I had the 1.6 initially as well but I kept hitting the bottleneck with the 4200 rpm HD. Hence, I went with the 1.8, which I'll add runs slightly hotter.

lankox
Jan 23, 2009, 12:56 PM

You're thinking is the exact reason I just bought a 1.8/SSD. I figure the resale value will be higher than the 1.6/80GB if it doesn't work out, or when apple releases Generation 3.

Scottsdale
Jan 23, 2009, 01:02 PM

I think Apple must have had a pretty big inventory of the first MBA to still have them and still dropping the price. I don't think the resale price will be "pretty good" or even close, even at the discounted price. At the rate its dropping, in a few months it may only be $799 for a refurbished version one MBA from Apple.

I owned a first version MBA, which I bought for $1799 the week it was available and sold it for $1650 the week before the second version was introduced (I got really lucky). It wasn't fast but was fun. The second version MBA really makes the first version obsolete. At $2499, the second MBA is a better value than a first version at $500. A lot of netbooks sell for $300 to $400, and that is all the first version MBA is... a netbook.

The second MBA is a real MacBook in super-portable form. The SATA drive, the 45 NM Penryn CPU, and the Nvidia graphics are all very worthy and make the new MBA the coolest Notebook on the planet!

If you want a netbook, (at $999) the MBA v1 is there for you. However, if you want a capable Mac, buy the MBA v2. Just my opinion, not meant to be a hate post about MBA v1.

zer0tails
Jan 23, 2009, 02:31 PM
I think Apple must have had a pretty big inventory of the first MBA to still have them and still dropping the price. I don't think the resale price will be "pretty good" or even close, even at the discounted price. At the rate its dropping, in a few months it may only be $799 for a refurbished version one MBA from Apple.

I owned a first version MBA, which I bought for $1799 the week it was available and sold it for $1650 the week before the second version was introduced (I got really lucky). It wasn't fast but was fun. The second version MBA really makes the first version obsolete. At $2499, the second MBA is a better value than a first version at $500. A lot of netbooks sell for $300 to $400, and that is all the first version MBA is... a netbook.

The second MBA is a real MacBook in super-portable form. The SATA drive, the 45 NM Penryn CPU, and the Nvidia graphics are all very worthy and make the new MBA the coolest Notebook on the planet!

If you want a netbook, (at $999) the MBA v1 is there for you. However, if you want a capable Mac, buy the MBA v2. Just my opinion, not meant to be a hate post about MBA v1.

Extremely uneducated post.

cheapa55
Jan 23, 2009, 02:55 PM
Extremely uneducated post.

Can you clarify?

zer0tails
Jan 23, 2009, 03:21 PM
sure. two main things i had issue with: calling the rev. A obsolete is in all frankness an exaggeration.

comparing it to $300 netbooks is also a bad example because $300 netbooks don't use intel core 2 duo chips. its like comparing apples and oranges.

lastly, he says if you want a capable mac, then you should buy the rev b. i won't dispute the rev b being an awesome machine esp. the nvidia graphics are great, BUT what do you mean by capable? what type of tasks do you need to complete? I regularly chat on msn, listen to itunes, type up documents in word, work on spreadsheets in excel, watch youtube videos, surf the web with multiple tabs and never had problems with it. <--capable no?

cheapa55
Jan 23, 2009, 03:34 PM
sure. two main things i had issue with: calling the rev. A obsolete is in all frankness an exaggeration.

comparing it to $300 netbooks is also a bad example because $300 netbooks don't use intel core 2 duo chips. its like comparing apples and oranges.

lastly, he says if you want a capable mac, then you should buy the rev b. i won't dispute the rev b being an awesome machine esp. the nvidia graphics are great, BUT what do you mean by capable? what type of tasks do you need to complete? I regularly chat on msn, listen to itunes, type up documents in word, work on spreadsheets in excel, watch youtube videos, surf the web with multiple tabs and never had problems with it. <--capable no?

thanks! seems like some people just hate the rev a vs others love it. I think if you understand what you are buying, then you'll love it. I think I'll like it since I already have a alum iMac and an alum MB. All I do is really browse internet, watch hulu videos, and occasional photoshop.

jYc
Jan 23, 2009, 07:59 PM
how do i check what kind of led panel i have?

thanks

iPaull
Jan 23, 2009, 10:56 PM
I also bought a refurbished MBA for $999 and couldn't be any happier :)

frogcat
Jan 25, 2009, 03:06 AM
I have to agree that the Rev A macbook air is a plenty capable machine.

My girlfriend just received hers and it is a real treat for her. Though it does not have the raw power I am usually looking for, this machine does everything it should, and ... actually shouldn't. For instance, I ran a 1080P .MKV file and it played fine. Of course there were hiccups, but they only happened when huge explosions and actions were splattered on the screen (I was watching The Dark Knight).

As for youtube...nope, there's not a problem there. I had really expected for this machine to suck with all the bad press. But man this thing doesn't even get scalding hot like the 12" powerbooks did. I even used it on the bed watching more than 10 videos of Youtube with my girlfriend.

I stress tested it like crazy, and it only slowed down, no core shutdowns or freezes. At one point I opened garageband, imovie, calendar, itunes, iphoto, ichat, safari, mail and textedit all at the same time. It took around 60 seconds to get each one of them open. Then I took it further and actually used it with all of the applications open. Soon I had 4 windows of safari, while i was playing a youtube video and syncing my mail through POP. Then I ran Geekbench...again with the 9 applications open...and I got a score of 1985 (I geekbenched it after this stress test and got a score of 2105). After that I opened 4 more windows of safari...playing 4 youtube videos. I expose'd and it worked without a hitch, movies at real-time and all.

And then something amazing happened.

The fans turned on.

It was at that moment I realized that I wanted this computer. I had forgotten about fans at that point. But I did check the heat of the computer and it was no hotter than the hottest my aluminum macbook gets.

That's just the computer stuff too. With design and usability, nothing beats this computer. Its screen is amazing, better than my dell 20 inch screens. And it's design is wonderful. The weight also is very noticeable. The people that don't believe so...try carrying a 15lb messenger bag around a university for 3 years. Then put an air inside the bag, replacing your current computer. I bet I will hear a sigh of relief from your mouth.

If this Rev A computer can take the crap I just through at it, then I want the Rev B, and would gladly trade my unibody macbook for a Rev B Air with money on top.

Anyone considering this purchase of the Rev A, by all means pull the trigger. This machine is a beaut.

Hey Jude
Jan 25, 2009, 07:50 AM
Fogcat, which model did she purchase?

I watched a few videos last night, hulu and fancast, full screen and the fans did not come on at all, but the machine did run a bit hot at around 59C, without CoolBook.

Anyhoo, glad to know your GF is enjoying her computer, and good luck with the Rev B. I hope the screen issue has been resolved.

Jude

aprilzephyr
Jan 25, 2009, 10:37 AM
I am strongly considering returning my refurbished 1.6 ghz Rev A, and unfortunately paying the shipping and restocking fees. I'm fairly unhappy with the battery life on my air. Even with the power calibrations, I get about 2.5 hours max of use (1/4 screen brightness, bluetooth turned off), and it takes abnormally long times to fully charge the battery. I used the air this morning from about 7:00am to 8:50am for email and chat before the battery died, and in the 2.5 hours since, the battery has only charged to 45% capacity while on standby! AppleCare techs offered to diagnosed it and if needed replace the battery, but I might just return it while I am still within the return window.

1969cj5
Jan 25, 2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for that video. You just confirmed my words that the MBA revA is GARBAGE since your video stuttered over 25 times :eek:

For everyone who bought this junk, please save your money and add some more to it and get the revA or go and get the Vaio TT if you need the portability.

However, I still love their products and that might not last long if this continues!

Why are you here?

darngooddesign
Jan 25, 2009, 11:16 AM
Cheaper than a Vaio P.

justit
Jan 25, 2009, 11:50 AM

Ya mhnajjar you should be confused as it's a recording of someone else's air with jerky video. My 'new' Rev A runs HD smoothly with a superior screen and I've updated to the latest software , flash 10 and $10 with coolbook (so that makes it $1009 for me).

I've owned a rev B SSD and now a Rev A HDD and I still stand by my claim that:
Yes the rev B is snappy but not an extra $1500 of snappyness.

I'm patiant and work through my Rev A if an issue arises because $999 is a bargain. Isn't that what this thread is about?

flipside217
Jan 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
I am strongly considering returning my refurbished 1.6 ghz Rev A, and unfortunately paying the shipping and restocking fees. I'm fairly unhappy with the battery life on my air. Even with the power calibrations, I get about 2.5 hours max of use (1/4 screen brightness, bluetooth turned off), and it takes abnormally long times to fully charge the battery. I used the air this morning from about 7:00am to 8:50am for email and chat before the battery died, and in the 2.5 hours since, the battery has only charged to 45% capacity while on standby! AppleCare techs offered to diagnosed it and if needed replace the battery, but I might just return it while I am still within the return window.

april,

Have you use coconutbattery yet? http://coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

What's your cycle count and current battery capacity?

aprilzephyr
Jan 25, 2009, 01:41 PM
april,

Have you use coconutbattery yet? http://coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

What's your cycle count and current battery capacity?

Thanks for responding, Flipside - I just downloaded coconut:
current battery charge: 4797 mAh
max battery charge: 4962 mAh
original batter capacity: 5090 mAh
battery load-cycles: 8 (it was 4 when I received it)
age of mac: 8 months

From the system profiler and now coconut battery, the numbers look good. I'm just not sure what I am doing that would drain the batter that quickly... If you have suggestions of recalibration or tweaks, that would be great. Thanks!

Though if this sort of battery usage and recharge times (it has been 5 hours and 50 min, and my battery has 4% left to charge.) are normal, then I'd prefer to return the air hdd, and go with the ssd or just continue my waiting game.

flipside217
Jan 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for responding, Flipside - I just downloaded coconut:
current battery charge: 4797 mAh
max battery charge: 4962 mAh
original batter capacity: 5090 mAh
battery load-cycles: 8 (it was 4 when I received it)
age of mac: 8 months

From the system profiler and now coconut battery, the numbers look good. I'm just not sure what I am doing that would drain the batter that quickly... If you have suggestions of recalibration or tweaks, that would be great. Thanks!

Though if this sort of battery usage and recharge times (it has been 5 hours and 50 min, and my battery has 4% left to charge.) are normal, then I'd prefer to return the air hdd, and go with the ssd or just continue my waiting game.

Those numbers look good. When you say power calibration did you mean this? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2339.html

aprilzephyr
Jan 25, 2009, 01:57 PM
Those numbers look good. When you say power calibration did you mean this? http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2339.html

Yep! Tried it 2x... will try it again for safe measure - maybe I didn't wait long enough btwn charging times.

Hey Jude
Jan 25, 2009, 02:36 PM
I am getting about the same battery mileage, except my screen is set to bright and BT is on.

My Air is only three months old, though and it came with a single charge, if that helps.

Jude

justit
Jan 25, 2009, 02:53 PM
Yep! Tried it 2x... will try it again for safe measure - maybe I didn't wait long enough btwn charging times.

If i had $10 to giveaway, I'd ask u to get coolbook. The idea is to use less voltage which consumes less battery. Depending on settings u can squeeze out an extra 45 minutes. Mind u the MBA is still bad on battery, I won't buy next gen MBA until they redesign the battery, even if they get a faster CPU.

mcpryon2
Jan 25, 2009, 07:37 PM
I just noticed today that my refurb Air's case is warped.

Too bad I didn't notice it until after I reapplied the thermal paste. It still functions just fine, but I know it's there. Every time I open or close it or pick it up, I know it's there.

I've thought about sending it back, but I'm wondering how quickly they'll notice I took off the peanut butter they use for thermal paste.

justit
Jan 25, 2009, 10:19 PM
I just noticed today that my refurb Air's case is warped.

Too bad I didn't notice it until after I reapplied the thermal paste. It still functions just fine, but I know it's there. Every time I open or close it or pick it up, I know it's there.

I've thought about sending it back, but I'm wondering how quickly they'll notice I took off the peanut butter they use for thermal paste.

The internal screws are coated black on the battery and the V-clip for the CPU so if you chipped it they can tell it's been unscrewed as the black chips off easily.

btw, did you notice a difference in temps after reapplying?

RayK
Jan 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
Last night I noticed the the front left of my creaks. It's not too bad but I feel a little baggy asking forit I be replaced because of it. It's the only real problem I've had with the machine.

mcpryon2
Jan 26, 2009, 01:28 AM
The internal screws are coated black on the battery and the V-clip for the CPU so if you chipped it they can tell it's been unscrewed as the black chips off easily.

btw, did you notice a difference in temps after reapplying?

Yeah, the screw on the lower right of the heatsink seems to be made out of graham crackers, too, it just falls apart if you don't use the exact size bit.

Before the swap of thermal paste my system would idle in the mid to high 50s (centigrade) and with a few apps like Safari open it would heat up to the low 60s, then WoW or Handbrake would put it through the roof to 95c.

After the operation it idles at about 40c, Safari and a few apps will put it to 48c, then it tops out around 75c under load. I haven't done any null tests yet. I've noticed that the temps have dropped a couple degrees since the reapplication, I've got about four heat/cool cycles so I'm guess it's the thermal paste starting to cure. We'll see if it changes any more in the next couple weeks.

EDIT: I was just playing a little WoW, with two Safari windows, a bunch of MSN Messenger windows, and a Hulu video playing and the system seemed to stay around 68c, fans at max.

The difference is pretty dramatic and Hulu videos are actually watchable now. I don't have coolbook, I'll probably get it sometime soon to try it out. I made a few posts in the Pro Tools on the Air thread in the Digital Audio forum about my amazing mad scientist results with Pro Tools.

I don't regret my purchase at all, for a grand this refurb Air is a steal. It's just too bad they can't have a copper heatsink and a fan that actually does something. As far as I can tell there is very little air movement away from the CPU.

Attached is a before picture for your amusement...

justit
Jan 26, 2009, 08:07 AM
EDIT: I was just playing a little WoW, with two Safari windows, a bunch of MSN Messenger windows, and a Hulu video playing and the system seemed to stay around 68c, fans at max.

Looks like you applied it right. Did your use arctic 5?

As far as I can tell there is very little air movement away from the CPU.

I wish the bottom cover that was .25" thicker. The entire casing does a poor cooling job. I wonder if I can remove the bottom and add the incase hard cover to cool it better:

http://goincase.com/products/detail/hardshell-case-cl57143/4

NATO
Jan 26, 2009, 08:49 AM
Attached is a before picture for your amusement...

Wow, that is jaw droppingly bad! I remember back in the days when I was into performance gaming PCs, I was very careful to make sure I only put enough thermal paste on the CPU (too little = poor contact with heatsink, too much = forms an insulating layer). Arctic Silver advised to put a pea-sized amount on the chip and allow the heatsink pressure to spread it across the die, although other pastes instructed the use of a very thin layer evenly spread across the die with a credit card. No matter what way you look at it, that is far too much by anyone's standards!

Cheers for posting the image :)

mcpryon2
Jan 26, 2009, 05:21 PM
Looks like you applied it right. Did your use arctic 5?

Actually, I used my old, old AS3. I wanted to try it out and then try AS5, which I just got a new tube of, to see if there's much of a difference on the Air. I'd expect just a few degrees difference, but perhaps it will be amplified by the A's gimped cooling solution. I should have taken more accurate temps before taking the stock paste off the CPU, oh well.

I just wonder how soon until I break down and try making my own heatsink for it.

jjahshik32
Jan 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
I find it funny that many people probably on this thread, bashed the mba rev a model just last year (most likely due to the price) and now when its much cheaper everyone is praising it.

Just to show you that price means everything.

jjahshik32
Jan 30, 2009, 05:25 PM
I did own the rev. a mba (only 1.6ghz 80gb model) and it ran everything just fine but I just thought the fan noise was kind of annoying.

And now I'm starting to think about ordering the 1.8/64GB SSD model... hmmmm..

Hey Jude
Jan 30, 2009, 08:21 PM
I did own the rev. a mba (only 1.6ghz 80gb model) and it ran everything just fine but I just thought the fan noise was kind of annoying.

And now I'm starting to think about ordering the 1.8/64GB SSD model... hmmmm..

I owned and used the SSD model since Jan. 13th and I have yet to hear the fans, even at 6200RPM, with my ear to the computer.

If fan noise is holding you back, I don't think it is still an issue any longer.

Jude

tubbymac
Jan 30, 2009, 09:02 PM
I find it funny that many people probably on this thread, bashed the mba rev a model just last year (most likely due to the price) and now when its much cheaper everyone is praising it.

The fact we're buying Apple stuff kinda proves that price isn't everything. If it was, we'd be buying cheapo netbooks and generic PC stuff :)

The same thing happened with the Xbox 360. There were all types of complaints about the heat and red rings of death but then Microsoft dropped the price so low that even with the problems people are buying it like hotcakes now.

justit
Jan 30, 2009, 09:07 PM

You got it half right. As mentioned here, there were 2 versions of the MBA-A and these refurbs are from the second batch. Along with newer software, the problems of the rev A seemed to have been managed.

jjahshik32
Jan 30, 2009, 10:48 PM
You got it half right. As mentioned here, there were 2 versions of the MBA-A and these refurbs are from the second batch. Along with newer software, the problems of the rev A seemed to have been managed.

There is no 2nd batch as there is nothing different about the logic boards now compared to last year.

I'm sure software has something to do with better managing of the hardware on the previous gen mba though.

But the thing is that I've owned the mba before and there was nothing really wrong with it, no core shutdown (I think this was just an isolated issue on its own imho) and even with the 80gb model it played hd contents just fine.

treoguy
Jan 31, 2009, 07:26 AM
I'm very happy with my refurb 1.8Ghz/64GB SSD. I bought the MBA rev.A 80GB back in June and returned it. I found it slow opening programs. That's not the case with the SSD model. I'm sure the slight bump in Ghz combined with the SSD helps things along. My only issue was needing a SuperDrive to use BootCamp, but I had some Best Buy rewards dollars that needed spending.

I used Remote Disc to reinstall Mac OS X without the printer drivers, language, etc.

The only thing I miss from my MBP is the screen real estate. My perfect laptop would be a 15" MacBook Air, improved graphics (already on Rev.B), 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2 USB ports.

All in all, great computer for the price. No regrets whatsoever. I only hope that my second invisible shield install goes as smoothly as the first.

justit
Jan 31, 2009, 10:06 AM
There is no 2nd batch as there is nothing different about the logic boards now compared to last year.

You must have talked to purchasing managers at retail chains to confirm that right? :rolleyes:

blumoon
Jan 31, 2009, 11:23 AM

I hear you kellen. I can't decide between a new white macbook or a refurb air.

jjahshik32
Feb 1, 2009, 06:03 PM
You must have talked to purchasing managers at retail chains to confirm that right? :rolleyes:

no way apple revamped a new production/manufacturing line to make an all new logic board and invest that much money to resell unsold/refurbished MBA.

If you believe this then its just wishful thinking.

justit
Feb 1, 2009, 10:57 PM

... and I wish you had read my post http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7009085

tubbymac
Feb 2, 2009, 12:14 AM
no way apple revamped a new production/manufacturing line to make an all new logic board and invest that much money to resell unsold/refurbished MBA.

... and I wish you had read my post http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7009085

I'd go with justit on this one. It's actually highly unlikely that no revisions have been made to the original Airs. It's been about a quarter year and already the new unibody Macbook has already undergone slight revisions. The trackpad is now considerably lighter to press among other things. Most motherboard manufacturers revise their logic boards within months, not years. Even my external monitor went through around 4-5 revisions. It's cheaper for a company to make small revisions to their hardware to workaround problems than to keep everything the same and spend more money dealing with the problems in tech support.

SeanU
Feb 2, 2009, 11:58 AM
First time Mac buyer here. I wanted a notebook to do some XCode/iPhone development on... and I was torn between this and the new Aluminum MacBooks. I took a chance on the Air, and I'm pretty happy with it. After checking the serial #, the build date was Aug 08. It had 1 charge on the battery, and the battery health has already improved from 97% to 99% after a few cycles. I was a little worried about the disk space and performance, but after a clean reinstall (no extra languages etc) space is fine, and I'm happy with the general performance. It would be nice if there were more options as far as HD upgrades go, but what can you do. My only other minor gripe is the vertical viewing angle is not so great, but otherwise the screen is very nice, and not overly glossy. Coolbook has my voltages down to .90 except @ 1600mhz where it requires .9125.

Thanks for all the advice and tips from the posters here!
Sean

jjahshik32
Feb 2, 2009, 03:20 PM

Best Buy managers dont know jack squat about these kind of things, let alone Apple store workers.

I'm sure the Best Buy manager just tells people this to calm the angry customers down (you hear many different responses that managers make up for reasons) because its his second batch or shipments of the mba of the rev. a that had their logic boards just repaired but it doesnt mean that Apple has actually altered something in the logic board for a complete new redesign or tweaked logic board.

As for trackpad being lighter and such, all mba out there are not exactly the same. When I had the rev. a mba last year and actually been through 2 of them due to dead pixels, the first one had a better click on the trackpad compared to the 2nd mba.

If there really were second batches (meaning a whole new production line to alter the logic boards on the mba, especially older models which almost never happens), I'm pretty damned sure there would be some sort of articles out from googling it or it would be on the front pages of websites like macrumors or arstechnica.

I'm pretty sure the software updates or efi firmware updates overtime had something to do with the improved performances and stability.

Both mba I owned last year had no issues with them. The 2nd core never shut downed on me, nor it had any heating issues or had problems playing even 1080p movies. These were just isolated issues that probably a little more than 100 people had posted.

Jesus these wishful thinking is just too much.

justit
Feb 2, 2009, 04:05 PM
Best Buy managers dont know jack squat about these kind of things, let alone Apple store workers.

Yes you seem to be all knowing :D

I'm sure the Best Buy manager just tells people this to calm the angry customers down

No one was angry, it was a look at their inventory system that showed different SKUs indicating a different batch from Apple. Apple 'soft' updates are notorious of not publishing such releases.

Apple has actually altered something in the logic board for a complete new redesign or tweaked logic board.

You're the only one here assuming something changed on the logic board. Minor hardware revisions with apple happen all the time.

As for trackpad being lighter and such, all mba out there are not exactly the same.

Agreed :) You can change the tolerance but tightening/loosening the screws underneath.

Ya imagine the nerve of some people's wishful thinking , on a rumors forum. :D

jjahshik32
Feb 2, 2009, 04:09 PM
Yes you seem to be all knowing :D

No one was angry, it was a look at their inventory system that showed different SKUs indicating a different batch from Apple. Apple 'soft' updates are notorious of not publishing such releases.

You're the only one here assuming something changed on the logic board. Minor hardware revisions with apple happen all the time.

Agreed :) You can change the tolerance but tightening/loosening the screws underneath.

Ya imagine the nerve of some people's wishful thinking , on a rumors forum. :D

But my whole point being about getting the notion about new batches from a Best Buy manager, not the best source in the world.

I've had in the past Best Buy, Circuit City, Apple Store geniuses/workers tell many different BS information. And how would a Best Buy manager know the inner workings of a logic board.

He probably just saw on the delivery/receipt sheet that saids 2nd batch of delivery that best buy was receiving and just confirmed to himself and tells people that its a 2nd batch (thinking that it has new revisions to the logic board).

Sure minor revisions happen from Apple but its called an update. If anything is done, altered everything is done on the logic board, especially if its a huge problem to a cpu issue.

Can you tell me or show me any proof of whats been actually changed in the (allegedly altered logic boards, something like a repair report or any public announcements)? Also what previous apple notebooks have you seen that actually had minor revisions?? And I'm not talking about repairing to a newer inverter for ccfl backlighting and such.

Of course SKUs change when the older rev. are thrown into the refurbished section. Its just the serial numbers that have changed nothing more.

Anyways, like I said I've owned the rev. a mba and there is nothing wrong with them, they are fine notebooks.

justit
Feb 2, 2009, 04:17 PM
Anyways, like I said I've owned the rev. a mba and there is nothing wrong with them, they are fine notebooks.

yup

tubbymac
Feb 2, 2009, 10:21 PM
As for trackpad being lighter and such, all mba out there are not exactly the same.

If there really were second batches (meaning a whole new production line to alter the logic boards on the mba, especially older models which almost never happens), I'm pretty damned sure there would be some sort of articles out from googling it or it would be on the front pages of websites like macrumors or arstechnica.

I'm pretty sure the software updates or efi firmware updates overtime had something to do with the improved performances and stability.

Of course SKUs change when the older rev. are thrown into the refurbished section. Its just the serial numbers that have changed nothing more.

While I admire your chutzpah and your skepticism I think your black and white approach to the world is a little misguided. We're not trying to say that there were radical changes. We're not trying to say Apple stuffed the latest batch of refurbs with unicorn droppings and fairy dust or radically swapped the logic boards. We're trying to say instead that it is HIGHLY LIKELY that tweaks and NON RADICAL fixes were incorporated into the latest batches.

Having built machines from scratch myself for years I can tell you, whether you want to believe me or not, that it is quite difficult to get the same revision of a motherboard, network card, monitor, or whatever else even after just a few months when you're trying to put together the "same" machine. I've seen simple parts like those undergo 5-10 small revisions in the same year. The reason you don't hear about it on google or see an article about it is that other than you, me, and maybe 10 other people in this thread, the rest of the world really couldn't care less about it and wouldn't bother to read an article about it. It wouldn't even make Macrumors front page - at best page 2 :)

The top half of what I quoted you were spot on. The bottom half you started getting into misguided territory - especially the part about different SKUs being identical and that the rev A had zero problems.

It still has some problems. Not everything got magically fixed nor was there a major overhaul to the logic board. But at this price it's a bargain for what you're getting. Which is why I finally pulled the trigger myself on the refurb. I'm tired of trying to find a rev B screen without horizontal lines. I know I'm not going to get something perfect in the rev A. But I'm fine with that for the price I am paying.

Can't wait for my machine to come in!

jjahshik32
Feb 2, 2009, 10:30 PM
While I admire your chutzpah and your skepticism I think your black and white approach to the world is a little misguided. We're not trying to say that there were radical changes. We're not trying to say Apple stuffed the latest batch of refurbs with unicorn droppings and fairy dust or radically swapped the logic boards. We're trying to say instead that it is HIGHLY LIKELY that tweaks and NON RADICAL fixes were incorporated into the latest batches.

Having built machines from scratch myself for years I can tell you, whether you want to believe me or not, that it is quite difficult to get the same revision of a motherboard, network card, monitor, or whatever else even after just a few months when you're trying to put together the "same" machine. I've seen simple parts like those undergo 5-10 small revisions in the same year. The reason you don't hear about it on google or see an article about it is that other than you, me, and maybe 10 other people in this thread, the rest of the world really couldn't care less about it and wouldn't bother to read an article about it. It wouldn't even make Macrumors front page - at best page 2 :)

The top half of what I quoted you were spot on. The bottom half you started getting into misguided territory - especially the part about different SKUs being identical and that the rev A had zero problems.

It still has some problems. Not everything got magically fixed nor was there a major overhaul to the logic board. But at this price it's a bargain for what you're getting. Which is why I finally pulled the trigger myself on the refurb. I'm tired of trying to find a rev B screen without horizontal lines. I know I'm not going to get something perfect in the rev A. But I'm fine with that for the price I am paying.

Can't wait for my machine to come in!

Like I said, there was no real problems with the mba in the first place. If anything an update to the efi or systems update probably fixed the fan/heat/cpu core shutdown issues.

Also your idea of not being important or no one caring enough to even write an article or put this news on the front page of any mac rumor websites does not make any sense. As for macheads this is huge news especially to the people wanting to buy the rev. a mba as of today.

Even last gen mbp doesnt get this special revisions done.

When people find out about awesome deals and originally too scared to jump in because of the price, while the product is exactly the same as it was, people start to think or make up ideas that there have been some miracle work done to these machines. :rolleyes:

rogerggie
Feb 4, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have looked at the unibody Macbook and Macbook pro at an electronics store. I have also looked the Air and really like the feel and light weight.

I currently have a last gen Macbook Pro with 4 GB Ram and 320 GB harddrive. While I like the new model Macbook Pros, there does not seem to be a whole lot of performance boost.

The Air has started to interest me because I give a lot of presentations on the road. I would use for Office applications, Keynote, web, email, Filemaker database, and showing small video clips - mostly in a 640 X 480 resolution.

I have looked seriously at Rev B with the 128 SSD. The Rev A refurb alternative looks mighty good. However, it is definitely slower than Rev B from Xbench result.

Are people have with the Rev A speed - at least is it workable. Would it help to get the 64 GB SSD. I could store files on a portable hard drive and only load what I would use for that presentation on the hard drive. From all I have read, it seems like most people are getting a stable computer.

Or, long term, would it make more sense to go with Rev B.

Halon X
Feb 4, 2009, 02:09 PM
Or, long term, would it make more sense to go with Rev B.

I own both Rev A and Rev B MacBook Air's and have similar needs as yours. Given the choice and opportunity to do it again, I'd purchase a Rev A SSD over the Rev B HDD or SSD.

BryanLyle
Feb 4, 2009, 02:14 PM
I own both Rev A and Rev B MacBook Air's and have similar needs as yours. Given the choice and opportunity to do it again, I'd purchase a Rev A SSD over the Rev B HDD or SSD.

That's really interesting. Why would you go with Rev A SSD ?

Halon X
Feb 4, 2009, 06:01 PM
That's really interesting. Why would you go with Rev A SSD ?

For the tasks I use it for (email/web/office/itunes/iphoto), I see little to no difference in performance between the two. The difference between HDD and SDD is noticeable. Other than a larger SSD, I'm not really taking advantage of the improved video and other upgrades.

rogerggie
Feb 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
So you are saying that the Rev A SSD 64 is essentially the same in speed given the types of programs you are running. This would include youtube videos?

I could buy the Rev A SSD refurb for $1299 and save $1000 roughly and be okay?

The only things that sound like an improvement are increased SSD storage space and I am sure the video card would help at some point. Most Xbench results are around 60 with the Rev B SSD around 122 or so. i realize that is a test and not a real world use situation.

How much space do you have left on the 64 GB SSD after OS 10, office, etc?

Halon X
Feb 4, 2009, 09:58 PM
So you are saying that the Rev A SSD 64 is essentially the same in speed given the types of programs you are running. This would include youtube videos?

I could buy the Rev A SSD refurb for $1299 and save $1000 roughly and be okay?

The only things that sound like an improvement are increased SSD storage space and I am sure the video card would help at some point. Most Xbench results are around 60 with the Rev B SSD around 122 or so. i realize that is a test and not a real world use situation.

How much space do you have left on the 64 GB SSD after OS 10, office, etc?

That's exactly what I am saying. The Rev B is definitely a faster computer however the programs I use don't really take much advantage of that speed increase. There are times I have to check to see which laptop I am using, usually because I'm looking for a file, only to find out it's on the other laptop. I have both configured the same so visually, everything is very equal.

The fans will spin up after a while when watching youtube videos but it's nothing horrible. I watch video all the time.

I've got just over 30GB free after the OS, applications, data files, music, etc are installed.

64GB is still a lot of usable space.

rogerggie
Feb 4, 2009, 11:08 PM
This is hard for me to comprehend as I have never used an Air other than a few minutes at a store.

Here is a quote from the Xbench thread:I think the xBench results should prove to everyone that the revB is the best way to go. The revB 1.6 with HDD is far faster/better than a revA 1.8 SSD. The results go much higher for the other revB models.

I have a revB, 1.86 with SSD, and it seems like the fastest Mac I have ever owned. It boots in less than 30 seconds. It opens apps instantly. It plays HD video perfectly. It never freezes overheats or experiences core shutdown like my revA MBA.

The differences are night and day and these marks clearly show it. Go MacBook Air revB and don't look back.

Do you get boot times around 30 seconds or so and apps opening instantly? No problems with overheating or core shutdown? You can take this further - what are the implications for someone buying a 2.53 MB Pro and 90% of the time using Office, email, web, database, watching video, and maybe some minor video editing. Are we so hung up on the latest and greatest and fastest that we are buying stuff we end not needing?

Any problems with only having 30 Gb to work with. Seems like it would be difficult to have any kind of Windows partition, but for travel notebook, probably not that big of a deal

Halon X
Feb 4, 2009, 11:27 PM
This is hard for me to comprehend as I have never used an Air other than a few minutes at a store.

Here is a quote from the Xbench thread:I think the xBench results should prove to everyone that the revB is the best way to go. The revB 1.6 with HDD is far faster/better than a revA 1.8 SSD. The results go much higher for the other revB models.

I have a revB, 1.86 with SSD, and it seems like the fastest Mac I have ever owned. It boots in less than 30 seconds. It opens apps instantly. It plays HD video perfectly. It never freezes overheats or experiences core shutdown like my revA MBA.

The differences are night and day and these marks clearly show it. Go MacBook Air revB and don't look back.

Do you get boot times around 30 seconds or so and apps opening instantly? No problems with overheating or core shutdown? You can take this further - what are the implications for someone buying a 2.53 MB Pro and 90% of the time using Office, email, web, database, watching video, and maybe some minor video editing. Are we so hung up on the latest and greatest and fastest that we are buying stuff we end not needing?

Any problems with only having 30 Gb to work with. Seems like it would be difficult to have any kind of Windows partition, but for travel notebook, probably not that big of a deal

The Rev B is a lot faster than the Rev A just like a 6 cyl. Camry is faster and has more HP than a 4 cyl. Camry. Both cars a great for commuting, look the same and will drive very similar until you put your foot down or need the extra power!

Boot times between the two are similar, time to load programs are similar, and I've yet to experience a core shutdown. I purchased a Rev A when they first came out and ended up returning it a couple months later (it helps to have a good relationship with the Apple Store) because of core shutdowns and other problems. Firmware and software updates seem to have taken care of all those issues. I've seen the bad and now the good with the Rev A.

I think a lot of people do buy more than what they need which can be a waste, but can also be looked at as future proofing. I find the speed on my netbook very usable for the same tasks even though on paper, it's much slower than the Air. I think the biggest factor in speed and a positive "user experience" with both the Air and my netbook is the SSD. It makes a computer amazingly snappy, so much so that I started to feel like my 3.06GHz iMac was a little slow so I upgraded it's HDD to an SSD too!

I find 64GB more than enough for a portable. You could easily purchase a nice portable 2.5" drive and throw your Windows VM's on it.

rogerggie
Feb 4, 2009, 11:36 PM
I use VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro. Are you saying I would install that on the SSD drive, but that Windows and any associated programs would be on the portable drive - hmmm - that's interesting.

Halon X
Feb 4, 2009, 11:58 PM
I use VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro. Are you saying I would install that on the SSD drive, but that Windows and any associated programs would be on the portable drive - hmmm - that's interesting.

Exactly. I'm running Fusion and have it installed on the SSD just as you would any other program. All my VM's are located on my external drive.

I also keep full copies of my iPhoto library on the drive.

dsevo
Feb 5, 2009, 12:06 AM
I ordered the $999 refurb MBA yesterday and am supposed to get it tomorrow. I was beginning to think I should have gotten the one with SSD, but I think I'll stick with the cheaper one and upgrade the drive in a year when th ewarranty is expired and the drives are half the price.

tubbymac
Feb 5, 2009, 12:14 AM
The best quote I've read about SSD drives compared to HD drives is that "ssd drives solve a problem I don't have." I can't remember who said that, but I think it's true for most consumers.

Feb 5, 2009, 07:20 AM
I just ordered two $999 MBAs as an addition to my MBP.

treoguy
Feb 5, 2009, 08:00 AM
I just ordered two $999 MBAs as an addition to my MBP.

Good to hear I'm not the only one buying an Air as a companion to a MBP. :D

UltraNEO*
Feb 5, 2009, 08:11 AM
Ain't those 1.6's, supposed to be too slow for YouTube?

just something i heard...

Jpoon
Feb 5, 2009, 08:49 AM
Well, considering that as time passes, and there is no real solution to upgrading the RAM, future-proofing the MBA with 4GB seems very viable.

Asides from that, I agree with your other predictions.

Granted, people are buying netbooks with a paltry 1 gig of RAM, and a single core underpowered processor.

I think a lot of MBA users fall under the category that doesn't require too much juice to get the job done.

Halon X
Feb 5, 2009, 09:25 AM
Granted, people are buying netbooks with a paltry 1 gig of RAM, and a single core underpowered processor.

I think a lot of MBA users fall under the category that doesn't require too much juice to get the job done.

The processor is only underpowered if you need more power! ;)

Personally, I think the Atom processor in most netbooks has plenty of power for what they are designed for, especially given the efficiency of the chip!

rhyx
Feb 5, 2009, 01:07 PM
The processor is only underpowered if you need more power! ;)

Personally, I think the Atom processor in most netbooks has plenty of power for what they are designed for, especially given the efficiency of the chip!

The things you can do on the Air far exceed the power of a Netbook. However if you don't need the power then a netbook will work fine.

dsevo
Feb 5, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well I got my MBA this morning 36 hours after placing the order (free shipping), and I couldn't be happier with this thing. I cant believe I waited this long to get a Mac, and so far my experience with Apple is stellar. I'm already shopping for my next desktop, which will be an Apple of course.

I did a clean OS install and am going to download xslimmer after OSX is done updating and I install iLife 09' (which came in the box with my MBA). The only other thing I plan on doing is getting a SSD in a year when they're cheaper, bigger and faster.

Oh btw, my serial number printed on the bottom of my MBA is not a refurbished serial #.

dborja
Feb 5, 2009, 06:49 PM
Well I got my MBA this morning 36 hours after placing the order (free shipping), and I couldn't be happier with this thing. I cant believe I waited this long to get a Mac, and so far my experience with Apple is stellar. I'm already shopping for my next desktop, which will be an Apple of course.

I did a clean OS install and am going to download xslimmer after OSX is done updating and I install iLife 09' (which came in the box with my MBA). The only other thing I plan on doing is getting a SSD in a year when they're cheaper, bigger and faster.

Oh btw, my serial number printed on the bottom of my MBA is not a refurbished serial #.

Congrats! I'm also very happy with mine. It's perfect for what I need - supplementing my iMac and mobility.

cbster
Feb 5, 2009, 07:03 PM

How do you know that? Does it start with a YD?

dsevo
Feb 5, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, YD and my understanding is that the refurbs start with F. Am I correct?

How do you know that? Does it start with a YD?

cheapa55
Feb 5, 2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah, YD and my understanding is that the refurbs start with F. Am I correct?

I believe the refurb model # starts with F, for example, on the white box, mine says FB003LL/A. Serial number does not have YD or F, but model imprinted on back of notebooks says A1237.

mshaf
Feb 6, 2009, 02:07 AM
New soon to be MBA owner here. Just ordered the refurbushed MBA 1.6 HDD version. Hoping to get it soon. From what it sounds like I should be able to use it for I generally do: email, web, and microsoft office.

A couple questions:

1) Can you still convert DVDs using a program like handbrake on this machine? If so, is the MBA also capable of watching those same converted movies. Some of the discussion about the graphics card being underpowered/overheating has me worried about this function. I'm not interested in gaming but I'm pretty clueless on how much power is required to watch converted movies.

2) I've read several times that doing a clean install of OSX is recommended. Is there a thread that someone can direct me to that can help me with this process. I did a search but was unsuccessful. I am a total newbie to Mac OS so any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

1969cj5
Feb 6, 2009, 04:01 AM

Why are you here?

pbkiller
Feb 6, 2009, 06:30 AM
Hello, i dont want to hijack, but i was wondering if the Apple Stores had a refurb section just like the online refurb Apple store? I would like to buy a MBA refurb when i go to the US on march (i live overseas), but i dunno if the store has any refurbs on stock. Is it only online? Thanks!

justit
Feb 6, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hello, i dont want to hijack, but i was wondering if the Apple Stores had a refurb section just like the online refurb Apple store? I would like to buy a MBA refurb when i go to the US on march (i live overseas), but i dunno if the store has any refurbs on stock. Is it only online? Thanks!

online only.

dborja
Feb 6, 2009, 08:24 AM
New soon to be MBA owner here. Just ordered the refurbushed MBA 1.6 HDD version. Hoping to get it soon. From what it sounds like I should be able to use it for I generally do: email, web, and microsoft office.

A couple questions:

1) Can you still convert DVDs using a program like handbrake on this machine? If so, is the MBA also capable of watching those same converted movies. Some of the discussion about the graphics card being underpowered/overheating has me worried about this function. I'm not interested in gaming but I'm pretty clueless on how much power is required to watch converted movies.

2) I've read several times that doing a clean install of OSX is recommended. Is there a thread that someone can direct me to that can help me with this process. I did a search but was unsuccessful. I am a total newbie to Mac OS so any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

I can't help you with your first question. On your second one, there's a "sticky" thread at the top of this forum. Here's a link for your convenience: http://guides.macrumors.com/Complete_Steps_to_Perform_a_Clean_OS_X_Reinstall_on_Your_MacBook_Air

ClassicBean
Feb 6, 2009, 09:00 AM
Good to hear I'm not the only one buying an Air as a companion to a MBP. :D

That makes three of us. I just got mine the other day ($1099 Canadian refurb). I'm turning my MacBook Pro into my main machine, putting my iMac in the basement for the time being until the kid gets old enough to play games on it, and using the MacBook Air when I head downtown for random meetings (I work from home so I'm usually either there or at a Starbucks).

So far, I'm loving the Air. I was originally debating a netbook and I'm so glad I didn't as I don't think I could live with anything smaller than a 13" screen. And all the keyboards I've seen on netbooks are beyond horrible.

mshaf
Feb 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
I can't help you with your first question. On your second one, there's a "sticky" thread at the top of this forum. Here's a link for your convenience: http://guides.macrumors.com/Complete_Steps_to_Perform_a_Clean_OS_X_Reinstall_on_Your_MacBook_Air

Thanks so much. Glad to see such a helpful and active forum!

dborja
Feb 6, 2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks so much. Glad to see such a helpful and active forum!

Welcome aboard and enjoy your MBA! :)

Tinknock71
Feb 6, 2009, 02:56 PM

A couple questions:

I Would also like a answer to question 1 if possible, Handbreak or Toast Titanium thanks much.

rogerggie
Feb 6, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think I am getting closer to making a decision. Currently, there is a refurb that is 1.8 64 gb SSD for 1299. I am a bit concerned that i will always be struggling with lack of storage as I would end up around 37 gb free after installation of operating system slimmed down, MS office 2008 (no entourage).

The 1.8 80 gb HDD seems to be around 12-15% slower than the SSD. It runs for $1099.

If I go the SSD route, I could end up spending $400 more for version B 1.6 with 120 gb. That version is faster than the SSD version of Rev A.

My quandry is whether that 1.8 80 gb hdd will be tolerable on speed without going to the SSD.

I have a last gen Macbook Pro and am considering the Air a secondary computer for office / web/ etc/ traveling

Any thoughts from people?

Halon X
Feb 6, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am a bit concerned that i will always be struggling with lack of storage as I would end up around 37 gb free after installation of operating system slimmed down, MS office 2008 (no entourage).

I have a last gen Macbook Pro and am considering the Air a secondary computer for office / web/ etc/ traveling

Any thoughts from people?

37GB is a lot of space. Will you really use all of it for office/web/traveling/etc?
I find the combo of a 64GB SSD + 500GH 2.5" USB HHD perfect for all my needs.

rogerggie
Feb 6, 2009, 08:54 PM
37GB is a lot of space. Will you really use all of it for office/web/traveling/etc?
I find the combo of a 64GB SSD + 500GH 2.5" USB HHD perfect for all my needs.

Sounds like you are suggesting the SSD drive is important for Rev A. I looked at what i would need on the SSD drive -Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Keynote, Things, Filemaker 10, Things, Mindmanager, VMWare - all those look like would maybe take up 2 GB.

Sounds like you have said I could have VMWare on the Air Hard Drive and install Windows on the portable drive. I would have Publisher, and a few other odd programs. Right now with my MacBook Pro, I spend about 95% of my time on the Mac side. Sounds like that would be doable.

I just read another person's post about the Rev B speed - but you are the only one with the comparison. Is the portable hard drive a Western Digital? Is running Windows slow off the portable drive.

I know part of this is a paradigm thing - addition of the SSD drive on Rev A makes things go quick like Rev B - even though the bus and memory is slower and no video card. The things above are what I would use the computer for - plus some video playback. If I had to create a video, I would do that on the MacBook Pro.

fRzzy
Feb 7, 2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe it's just me but I don't really understand why people are demanding a faster processor, bigger hard drive and more powerful graphics chip...

It's seem to me that the only thing Apple should really really improve for MBA is battery life. 3.5hrs of Wi-Fi productivity isn't what you promised you give us, Apple.

MBA isn't the MacBook that does it all, at least I think Apple think so, I have my desktop for my works (Photoshop, Handbrake...) and yes, it's a PC cause I can't afford a Mac Pro (and no, I wouldn't buy a MBP or even a MB, any thing that is heavier than 2kgs is not portable enough for me)

With that said, when people ask me about my MBA (because it's real sexy one when I'm working at my favourite cafe) and like pfftt at it's specs, I know they wouldn't understand what a MBA is meant to be.

I'm working daily with Coda, TextMate and Photoshop sometimes to touch up some psds for my work (web developing) and this MBA is totally capable. Although I don't use Pages, Keynote or Numbers but I believe MBA can handle them just find IMHO. Not mentioning that I always have about 20 tabs or Safari and Firefox in the background with some of them have Flash.

So, people out there who want your MBA to encoding your video, processing your photos with its tiny (yes, for this kind of work) 13.3" LCD and still fits in its form factor, welcome to several years later.

And until then, I would like to see Apple using a CPU that just as fast as current one, a hard drive with whatever space the industry can make with as less power requirement as possible and a graphics chip that on par with current Intel X3100 (and of course less power consumption as possible) to power future MBA. With 10 hrs of battery life, yes that's what I want.

A laptop with big enough monitor, full size keyboard and superb touchpad that only 3lbs is like a dream to me. Goodbye VAIO TZ and hello MBA. The only thing I missed and haven't get over with is the battery life. 9hrs of coding is just unbeatable.