Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

201018-palm.jpg

One of the major stories coming out of CES is the revival of Palm with the release of the Palm Pre, the first smartphone to be based on their new webOS platform. The Pre, currently planned for a US release on Sprint sometime in the first half of this year, contains a 3.1-inch, 320x480 touch screen, 8 GB of memory, a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, a 3-megapixel camera with flash, built-in GPS, an accelerometer, and Wi-Fi, 3G, and Bluetooth connectivity.

The Pre represents a break from Palm's existing Palm OS and will be unable to run existing Palm OS applications. Instead, Pre developers will develop using browser technologies including CSS, HTML and XML along with special APIs to access the hardware features of the new device. And of course, an "App Store" for third-party applications will also be accessible from the phone.

Gizmodo was impressed by the Pre in their hands-on preview, in which they highlighted the responsiveness of the Webkit-based browser and overall user interface. They were also impressed with screen and camera quality. The minor downsides they found included a lack of video recording and a lack of browser support for Flash, although several sources are speculating that Adobe and Palm are working on a Flash plug-in.

The Pre includes several features that iPhone users have been clamoring for, including copy-and-paste, MMS messaging, and the ability to allow applications to run in the background. The Pre also offers the option of Palm's Touchstone wireless charging station. The Touchstone technology, which requires an additional back cover for the Pre itself, charges the Pre's internal battery via magnetic induction when the device is laid on the charging station.

Pricing is yet to be announced, although Palm CEO Ed Colligan suggested that it would not come in significantly under the iPhone's $199 price point. In fact, Russian Mobile-Review blogger Eldar Murtazin, who previously provided accurate information on the cancellation of Motorola's RAZR 3, claims that the Pre will be priced at $399 with a Sprint contract. He also claims that a GSM version of the phone is reportedly due for release in the UK in the second half of 2009, a fact confirmed by Paul Ghent, vice president of sales for Palm Europe.

Article Link: 'Palm Pre' Smartphone Announced: WebOS, Wireless Charging, App Store

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Eh, it's okay, it's not an iPhone. Sorry, Apple got this one right.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Go Palm.....

the "iPhone" may have many features but this thing is loaded.

maybe this will get the iphone users some things being asked for.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
ugly

that, things looks like a iPhone nano....but ugly...
very ugly..kinda good camara and it has flash, copy and paste and kinda expensive..but the iphone is so SEXY!
LET the competion begin, since this is a real business machine:apple:

fireworks501

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
at least and final last we have a competitor we can be proud of.

let's hope this actually lights some fires at apple r&d.

good job jon!

bobsbarricades

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
not an iPhone but I do like it for some reason.

I think some of my apple love in the past might've been a little biased and I'm starting to open my eyes.

That said however, Apple dominates in the style category and there's no two ways about it, thus hindering a good opinion of things...

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
so yet again, the iphone is still one of the only smart phones out there where you can't mms or copy paste. what the f#ck apple, just give us those damn features already.:mad:

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
plus

the iphone is so easy to use that people that like fashion just get it couse it looks good, the iphone has a target many markets than the ugly Treo.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
so yet again, the iphone is still one of the only smart phones out there where you can't mms or copy paste. what the f#ck apple, just give us those damn features already.:mad:

dude! the MMS is old..lets rock with the e-mail. I know that people aren't ready for that, just like people werent ready to let go firewire..as a teen it was hard first but i got used to it

Sussman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2006
Colorado
I kinda like it

i kinda like it. Best feature: no AT&T. Copy-and-paste, MMS messaging, and the ability to allow applications to run in the background is huge.

ryan.hayes79

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Hopefully a bit of good competition will get Apple to get some of those missing features we have been asking for.

MMS would allow me to ditch my work handset as we send and receive loads of voice texts.

Copy and paste really would make my life loads easier.

Game on!

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
The OS in this looks pretty cool, I still prefer an iPhone, but I LOVE the multitasking and notifications stuff - shows how much more an iPhone could do with a little more RAM and a slightly more powerful CPU.

Also, flash camera, 3.0 megapixels, MMS, and copy and paste really all ought to be in the iPhone ASAP. Hopefully this summer (I like the LED flash on the camera - reminds me of the common Japanese feature of cell phones having little LED flashlights on them, doesn't take much battery power but can absolutely be helpful in the dark).

This is much better competition to the iPhone than the Blackberry Storm or the Android G1. Competition is a good thing - Apple kicked the cell phone industry in the ass, hopefully that same acceleration will now push the iPhone forward even more for its next major revision.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I know javascript!!!

I can haz Pre Development apps!

You think there are too many body sound apps on the iPhone?

Just wait till the script kiddies can make apps for the Pre!
:rolleyes:

Oh. And if they have store are they saying I am supposed to PAY for html apps?

what a joke.

this phone is intended for those people that use a phone to phone people. Not to do much else.

If you want to do more then just dial a phone with AMAZINGLY powerful phone apps, the Iphone is still the way to go.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
i kinda like it. Best feature: no AT&T. Copy-and-paste, MMS messaging, and the ability to allow applications to run in the background is huge.

not t mention stereo bluetooth.

the background is cool too

mkhsfz

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
The only problem I see with all these new smart phones is they don't have itunes. The iphone is a really really great phone but itunes is part of why the iphone is so great. Ad a mac to your iphone and it's a hard combination to beat.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
$399? With contract? Sorry, Ed Colligan: your arrogance will kill off an otherwise pretty decent-looking product.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
This is finally a worthwhile competitor to the iPhone in the next-gen smartphone stakes. Certainly it makes everything else (Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Symbian, and especially the old PalmOS Garnet) look dated.

Apple really needs some heat on them - they are stubborn about their design choices, even the ones I feel are mistakes like no copy/paste, no multitasking, etc.

I hope Palm can bring it by getting this device shipping soon - and not letting Sprint screw the golden pooch by overpricing the plans.

The iPhone originally shipped with no app store. Remember, it was all going to be web apps like dashboard widgets, too? Palm has to be working the same playbook here - get the device out the door as fast as possible, then deliver the real dev platform.

theGoodLife

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
There are so many critical things wrong with this device that it will never make it as a true iPhone competitor. Perhaps a formidable opponent for the G1, but the Pre is not for most of the people out there.

One second they are saying how easy it is to use, the lack of buttons on the interface unless they are necessary. Then they are showing off advanced gestures and advanced multitasking.

None of want to face it, but the "exclusive" $599 iPhone is gone. iPhone is the new RAZR. In order to effectively compete with the iPhone, the device must be ridiculously easy to use. Not for us computer junkies, but for everyone. The majority of iPhone users are computer illiterates. How am I going to explain to my non-nerd friends what in the hell those cards do? You have to remember that at the end of the day, most iPhone users are the same people that open up the "E" icon on their desktop, and maximize "the internet". These people have no need for multitasking, nor are they going to learn it. Why do you think Copy/Paste is not at the top of the list? They doesn't need it.

Not to mention that "Palm" has lots almost all brand power, and the fact that the device is rumored to cost $399. Before you say anything about the iPhones original price, don't forget that Steve quickly realized that was not a mass market price. That was when there was no competition for the iPhone. Most people will just go for the original, leaving the Pre to most hard core users.

That all said, I'm still intrigued. :D

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
dude! the MMS is old..lets rock with the e-mail. I know that people aren't ready for that, just like people werent ready to let go firewire..as a teen it was hard first but i got used to it

Why is it when there are features on products competing with Apple products that lack said features, people here are quick to point out that they are "not necessary" or passé. That's really not for any one person to say. Some people need features for business reasons, not for personal preference. Besides, if the feature is standard on smart phones, Apple should have it too. The omission of a feature doesn't make it unnecessary or outdated.

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
looks better than the Android G1

This is a lot more appealing to me than Google's Android G1. Of course, I'll be sticking with my iPhone for now, but it'll be interesting to see how Apple updates the iPhone.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Wow... This is very close to what I actually thought the iPhone would possibly evolve into in physical looks and OS looks on the home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.