Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
This is the bone that Sprint needs, since all the customers who couldn't get an iPhone because they were stuck with the CDMA network (coverage or whatever) now have another quality alternative.

This new webOS might also push Apple into better developer support for WebKit apps, and for somehow more easily porting them to App store versions.

People who want an attractive modern UI smartphone like the iPhone, but who hate touchscreen keyboards, might also be potential customers for the Pre.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It looks OK but it's no iPhone killer. It's going to ship 6+ months from now and cost twice as much as an iPhone? Good luck with that. Apple will be well ahead with a major hardware and software revision by then, with many more apps, marketshare, mindshare, and developers.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
Why is it when there are features on products competing with Apple products that lack said features, people here are quick to point out that they are "not necessary" or passé. That's really not for any one person to say. Some people need features for business reasons, not for personal preference. Besides, if the feature is standard on smart phones, Apple should have it too. The omission of a feature doesn't make it unnecessary or outdated.

i respect your opinion, but what is passe? sorry for my ignorance

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I agree, for some reason I find the Pre pretty compelling. I like my iPhone, but there are some features of this Palm that would be nice additions to the iphone, though price will be a problem. I don't see it gaining marketshare at $400. Apple was able to succeed in that arena on the backs of people like me, but I'm not sure this will be able to achieve that kind of success at this proposed price point

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Can't really comment until I've tried it.

But it does sound good - ability to run apps in the background (but might knock on the battery, but I don't care, I charge up every day anyway), copy and paste and MMS.

Wonder how good the camera actually is in comparison to the iPhone.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
so yet again, the iphone is still one of the only smart phones out there where you can't mms or copy paste. what the f#ck apple, just give us those damn features already.:mad:

Well, I guarantee if we don't have Video and Copy/Paste by the next iPhone release, sometime around June... I'll be picking a new smartphone... I mean, Shazam does work on other phones you know and iFart isn't going to keep me around...

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
For us iPhone lovers, this is good. Palm just set a new standard for Apple to follow! Expect MMS and copy and paste on the next iPhone, maybe a better camera with video recording too. :cool:

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I just don't know if it will be that good. I'm open minded though because there's nothing good on the market for people who aren't going with AT&T and an iPhone. Sounds similar to the hype then flop of the BB Storm. Plus it's on sprint....EWE!!! It also looks like either a kiddie toy phone (ya know those plastic ones that babies play with) or a bar of soap.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
It looks OK but it's no iPhone killer. It's going to ship 6+ months from now and cost twice as much as an iPhone? Good luck with that. Apple will be well ahead with a major hardware and software revision by then, with many more apps, marketshare, mindshare, and developers.

IMO the problem with these statements are, its taken apple a while to get to the point they are at. It is a lot easier to build on an idea than to implement the initial thought.

How much was the first iphones?

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Ok, so some dude from Russia gets details from a phone revealed yesterday and not even submitted to the FCC yet... Right. I doubt Sprint and Palm would be stupid enough to charge $400 for this phone - It's pretty much both company's last hope. I bet my iPhone it comes in at $200 or $250.

Now, onto the phone. I LOVE the focus on multi-tasking (its what the iPhone should have been) At this point, I find the iPhone's take some features just flat out stupid. Also, this thing is going to be a development powerhouse. Javascript? Thats a LOT of developers (myself included!), especially since it doesn't require a Mac. Lastly,the wireless charger is pretty slick, I wonder why more company's haven't jumped on that yet.

Apple jump started the cell phone business in 2007, but it seems like competitors are starting to catch up, with Palm (would would have thought?) looking on even ground. Should make things interesting!

According to the specs, it's 0.6 inches shorter than the iPhone, but half a centimeter thicker.

It has a keyboard. :p

LukeW16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
the phone is pretty ugly, thought the specs and features do seem quite good. Id stick to my iphone though

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
Guys, we may all have iPhones, but PLEEAAASSSEEE don't get caught up in this idea that it is perfect. This phone gets alot of things right that the iPhone got wrong. Throwing up automatic defense that this phone is mediocre in comparison to the iPhone is akin to so many Blackberry and old Palm fanboys throwing up an automatic defense when the iPhone was released and claiming their phones were so much better, when they were, in all aspects, not. This is the phone (the Pre), if any, to light a fire under Apple's ass, because, damnit, they need it. Innovate with the iPhone; add what customers request; take out ridiculous roadblocks to developer innovation; stop making us wait! Even as what some would claim as an Apple fanboy (I own 3 iPods, 1 iPhone and Macbook Pro), I truly commend Palm for what they've done with this device. I'm truly in envy of this phone and thinking of switching just to get it. Let us not deny it guys: the Pre is hot hot sex. We can only hope this spurs Apple to innovate with the iPhone like Apple spurred the industry to innovate with its entry into the cell phone market.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Finally a serious threat to the iPhone?

Time Apple got moving again! They've ridden the 3rd party apps train long enough!

I'm ready for my iPhone with 64 GB memory, tyvm.

... or at least an iPod Touch with 64 GB memory... I finally filled my old 30 GB iPod today... I need to upgrade now!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Good to have a decent CDMA smartphone. It doesn't look like there is ever going to be GSM coverage where I live.

theGoodLife

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Ok, so some dude from Russia gets details from a phone revealed yesterday and not even submitted to the FCC yet... Right. I doubt Sprint and Palm would be stupid enough to charge $400 for this phone - It's pretty much both company's last hope. I bet my iPhone it comes in at $200 or $250.

All things Digital:

"The biggest unknown is price, which went unmentioned during the demo. My assumption is that Palm (PALM) would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200 or so Apple wants for its iPhone. But when I ran that theory by Palm CEO Ed Colligan , he looked at me liked I’d peed on his rug. 'Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product,' he asked, then walked away."

jdylan

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
I'd buy it

Only if they sell an unlocked version, which I'm sure they will. I am getting tired of the iPhone and it's limitations. I was in Germany on vacation and wanted to send my GF a picture of me on the Zugspitze, and remembered the iPhone doesn't allow that. Are these companies intentionally holding back technologies like MMS, video recording, etc, for the purpose of featuring it on future releases with the hopes that us idiot consumers will buy the newer version?

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
All things Digital:

"The biggest unknown is price, which went unmentioned during the demo. My assumption is that Palm (PALM) would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200 or so Apple wants for its iPhone. But when I ran that theory by Palm CEO Ed Colligan , he looked at me liked I’d peed on his rug. 'Why would we do that when we have a significantly better product,' he asked, then walked away."

Yes, I read that. But did you? "...would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200..."

He said it won't come significantly lower than $200. He didn't say it would be more expensive or twice as expensive as the iPhone.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Why is it when there are features on products competing with Apple products that lack said features, people here are quick to point out that they are "not necessary" or passé. That's really not for any one person to say. Some people need features for business reasons, not for personal preference. Besides, if the feature is standard on smart phones, Apple should have it too. The omission of a feature doesn't make it unnecessary or outdated.
I hear what you're saying, but I think what some people are suggesting is that Apple may be being wise in the decisions it makes, realizing that trying to be all things to all people is a losing proposition. Unfortunately that sometimes leaves certain groups of niche users (like power users who want to open a Terminal sessions on their phone, scientists who want to do real-time tornado particle simulations on their phone, or gamers who want World of Warcraft on their phone) in the cold. The fact is Apple is targeting the mainstream now, and the vast majority of people really don't need many of things we geeks think are cool or necessary. Most people simply want to make calls, find the directions to grandma's house, listen to music, check stocks, kill a few minutes while waiting for their plane, and so forth. When you try to be all things to all people, you end up with the Homer car.

moracity

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
This is finally a worthwhile competitor to the iPhone in the next-gen smartphone stakes. Certainly it makes everything else (Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Symbian, and especially the old PalmOS Garnet) look dated.

Apple really needs some heat on them - they are stubborn about their design choices, even the ones I feel are mistakes like no copy/paste, no multitasking, etc.

I hope Palm can bring it by getting this device shipping soon - and not letting Sprint screw the golden pooch by overpricing the plans.

The iPhone originally shipped with no app store. Remember, it was all going to be web apps like dashboard widgets, too? Palm has to be working the same playbook here - get the device out the door as fast as possible, then deliver the real dev platform.

I agree. This looks to be the first real competition to the iPhone. Blackberrys are a class of their own. The G1 is a mess. This thing actually looks as easy and simple to use as the iPhone. The only drawback is Sprint.

theGoodLife

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Yes, I read that. But did you? "...would try to take market share by coming in significantly lower than the $200..."

He said it won't come significantly lower than $200. He didn't say it would be more expensive or twice as expensive as the iPhone.

Whoops! I guess I didn't read it as close as I should have. Still, walking off like that does not say "we will be at $200" ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.