Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
Really? You think it is ugly? It looks like an iPhone except with curved edges. I think it looks better than the iPhone, which is just a rectangle. Very Ugly? Your insane.

we may have very different ways to apreciate beuty.. but remember the past ipod nano..well kinda looks like that fatty

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
This could be a threat to the iPhone. I think it will make Apple give us things that we have been asking for (MMS, background apps, voice dial, etc.). Apple has gotten to comfortable because they have had so much success with the iPhone. If this Palm turns out to be real competition, then Apple is going to have to give the people what they want, if they want to stay on top. Anyone who says that we don't need MMS, voice dial, background apps, etc., is just a fanboy, and you are kidding yourselves.

Don

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
dude! the MMS is old..lets rock with the e-mail. I know that people aren't ready for that, just like people werent ready to let go firewire..as a teen it was hard first but i got used to it

Ahhh....spoken like a true teenager.

MMS is still THE most popular way to send photos. Most people don't have phones that can do that. Apple's stubborn ways are opening doors for their competitors. It's obvious Apple is currently catering to the masses and John Q Public, so they should include the technologies people use the most: MMS & Voice dialing via Bluetooth.

And Firewire...?!??! You obviously haven't created or edited video recently....

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i hope this phones kicks ass, i want it to be just as good as the iPhone or maybe a bit better, that way, Apple will get some sh*t done and revamp the iPhone

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
This could be a threat to the iPhone. I think it will make Apple give us things that we have been asking for (MMS, background apps, voice dial, etc.). Apple has gotten to comfortable because they have had so much success with the iPhone. If this Palm turns out to be real competition, then Apple is going to have to give the people what they want, if they want to stay on top. Anyone who says that we don't need MMS, voice dial, background apps, etc., is just a fanboy, and you are kidding yourselves.

Don

they wont ever give us all they got..non sence (unfortunally) but lets see if this fatty treo can push them a bit

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan

MMS is still THE most popular way to send photos. Most people don't have phones that can do that. Apple's stubborn ways are opening doors for their competitors. It's obvious Apple is currently catering to the masses and John Q Public, so they should include the technologies people use the most: MMS & Voice dialing via Bluetooth.

He's also never tried to back up a 500 GB HDD that's full to an external. USB is ungodly slow for those kinds of things... but anyways that was off topic.

MMS is what people want. Most people aren't going to change their ways to get an iPhone, especially when there are alternatives that can do what they want. I really want voice dialing via bluetooth, (I would like to be able to do it from my headphones too).

Don

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area

yeah i use firewire on my imac, and my macbook for school. but i want to feel that the 300 dlls that i spend on my phone were worth it

bainesajay

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
Canada
Missing a one big thing

I thing Palm did something really smart with one big thing. They are not bothering to compete with apple. The phone is only CDMA, a market Apple did not enter. It gives people who are stuck with CDMA only carriers and option for a cool phone. People who never could get an iPhone anyway. In Canada our two largest carriers are CDMA (Bell and Telus).

I hope this revives Palm, since competition is always a good thing.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Whoops! I guess I didn't read it as close as I should have. Still, walking off like that does not say "we will be at $200" ;).

Yeah, thats what I thought when I read it the first time.:D I really take his words as reactionary. Engadget asked him if it would be "significantly lower" than $200 and Palm's CEO said "why? We have a significantly better product"

I'm willing to put enough confidence in Palm and Sprint, two companies on a financial deathbed, that they won't be stupid enough to overprice the Pre. I still say $200-$250.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
What? No landscape typing?!! :) Seriously though, I watched the YouTube video and I am impressed with the UI and webOS. Apple could get a few ideas from it.

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.
Guys, we may all have iPhones, but PLEEAAASSSEEE don't get caught up in this idea that it is perfect. This phone gets alot of things right that the iPhone got wrong.

Agreed.

For once, this iPhone-inspired mobile has actually gone beyond emulation and created an interface that seems less flat as Apple's. Nobody expected poor old Palm to be back with a bang.

After the Palm Pre, the iPhone's home screen and application transitions suddenly feel dated and too one-dimensional. The next obvious step is to upgrade the CPU to handle the type of strenuous tasks (copy+paste?) a desktop can.

I wonder how much Rubinstein knows about Apple's plans, to try to anticipate their every move.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Agreed.

For once, this iPhone-inspired mobile has actually gone beyond emulation and created an interface that seems less flat as Apple's. Nobody expected poor old Palm to be back with a bang.

After the Palm Pre, the iPhone's home screen and application transitions suddenly feel dated and too one-dimensional. The next obvious step is to upgrade the CPU to handle the type of strenuous tasks (copy+paste?) a desktop can.

I wonder how much Rubinstein knows about Apple's plans, to try to anticipate their every move.

I will be so pissed if copy and paste requires a hardware upgrade. There's absolutely no reason that something so simple would require new hardware.

Don

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I thing Palm did something really smart with one big thing. They are not bothering to compete with apple. The phone is only CDMA, a market Apple did not enter. It gives people who are stuck with CDMA only carriers and option for a cool phone. People who never could get an iPhone anyway. In Canada our two largest carriers are CDMA (Bell and Telus).

I hope this revives Palm, since competition is always a good thing.

You don't think CDMA customers dropped their serve with that carrier to move into the iphone? example verizon to att?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I will be so pissed if copy and paste requires a hardware upgrade. There's absolutely no reason that something so simple would require new hardware.

Don

£££.

Apple left the early 2008 MBP and Air users without 4 finger gestures. Kind of how Apple works - same with the Genius feature. They'll need to give people a reason to buy the new iPhone.

Though copy and paste really is a tedious thing that if they don't include soon, will get shafted. Copying a note (i.e. someone's email) or an address to send to someone etc.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The next obvious step is to upgrade the CPU to handle the type of strenuous tasks (copy+paste?) a desktop can.
Why would copy and paste be a strenuous task? It's not at all. There are several implementations of it already working on iPhone apps, Apple just needs to put their own version of it into the system so every app can use it. They are dragging their feet on it, but I'll be surprised if we don't see it show up at some point. The more phones out there that have it, like the Pre, the better as it may force Apple to get it finished just so competitors can't use the omission against them.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
£££.

Apple left the early 2008 MBP and Air users without 4 finger gestures. Kind of how Apple works - same with the Genius feature. They'll need to give people a reason to buy the new iPhone.

Though copy and paste really is a tedious thing that if they don't include soon, will get shafted. Copying a note (i.e. someone's email) or an address to send to someone etc.

well the 4 finger gestures were hardwere wise

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
£££.

Quite a few people will be pissed if this happens. There will be another "price drop" controversy if Apple tries to pull that s***t.

Don

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
You don't think CDMA customers dropped their serve with that carrier to move into the iphone? example verizon to att?
Quite a few people did, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot more customers who would be considering an iPhone if their existing carrier had it. That's what I don't get with exclusive phones. There would be way more potential sales if it were universal.

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.

Don

I'm pretty sure it will. Truth is, Safari can still get crashed by accessing complex websites (several pages). In that case, I don't think the iPhone is capable of reliably keeping text in the 'clipboard' if it isn't yet a desktop-class reliable browser.

Some of you think the recent CPU buzz is for the iTablet, but the iPhone desperately needs more horsepower to do iChat AV, copy+paste, iGPS, and MMS, etc. Who'd need a netbook if it could do all these things, really?

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
This phone rocks. I own an iphone and watched the video demonstrations with the pre and I must say that this is the best competition to the iphone thus far. Hopefully, Apple will take notice and start improving on the iphone in ways other than offering useless apps (stocks, you tube,etc. ) and crap like google street view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.