Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
ALISO VIEJO, Calif. - City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

Then they learned, to their chagrin, that dihydrogen monoxide — H2O for short — is the scientific term for water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4534017/

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You have to watch out for that stuff -- it's dangerous -- breath in too much of it and it'll kill you.

[edit - forgot to say...
attachment.php
]

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
You have to give them some credit, they caught the problem before they actually passed a resolution! :p

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
hahahahaha!
i love this!
wow. i just thought what would happen a my school. we had another lockdown yesterday due to a bomb threat (2nd one this year) and everyone makes fun of the administration at the school for over exaggerating everything. i bet they would have a lockdown if someone told them that there was dihydrogen monoxide in the school :p
i honestly wouldn't do it. i'd get into too much trouble.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I remember this from HS Chemistry Class, Out of a class of 30, I was the only one to correctly identify Dihydrogen Monoxide as Water. Of course that caused be to outed from some groups for a few weeks, but as the class Enigma, I didn't care. It is not easy being smart.

TEG

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
How a person who doesn't know that H20 is water got to be a local official is beyond me. Quite alarming if you think about it.

scem0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.