PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 replacement: Used Mac or hackintosh?

iMpathetic
Feb 25, 2009, 04:27 PM
Ah, the thrill of the chase.

My last remaining respectable computer is my trusty iBook -- 1.33GHz G4, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, with Tiger and a blue Apple logo. :D

I think it's about time for a new computer though. Assuming I can sell it for like $250 and get a total of $750, would it be worth it to try and find a used Core Duo MacBook Pro (preferred) or a Core 2 Duo MacBook? What about a G5?

Or, would it be a good idea to build a really fast Hackintosh for the same price? I have a lot of experience with PC's as well and had been considering building one anyway.

I don't know if I provide enough information in this thread, so I'm sorry if I don't. Let me know.

Thanks for all your help, MR community!

DJ567
Feb 25, 2009, 04:39 PM
i would never recommend doing anything against the apple eula, not necessarily because i care about it being illegal, but just for support reasons, if you break it, cant find a driver etc you are on your own. I would suggest you buy an intel mac whether that be a macbook or otherwise, but not a g5 my brother has my old white macbook c2d still a great machine but then it is only 2 years old, i go thru computers like i do burgers (1 a year im on a diet lol)

iMpathetic
Feb 25, 2009, 04:43 PM
1 a YEAR?

I was at 1 a MONTH for a while.

I am not the least bit worried about breaking the EULA. I don't care that it's illegal. I also don't care about support. If there's an issue, I can figure it out. I like a challenge.

An Intel Mac would be wonderful. I remember my 2.2GHz blackbook -- now that was a computer.

On the other hand, if you don't build it with your own two hands, it's not really yours.

Tallest Skil
Feb 25, 2009, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=iMpathetic;7169045I am not the least bit worried about breaking the EULA. I don't care that it's illegal.[/QUOTE]

Good, because it isn't.

As long as you aren't selling the computers for your own gain, it isn't illegal.

iMpathetic
Feb 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
Good, because it isn't.

As long as you aren't selling the computers for your own gain, it isn't illegal.

Wasn't sure where on the thin line that was, thanks, TS. I thought it wasn't illegal, just had to type the post fast. :o

Any input, O Mac Pro god?

DJ567
Feb 25, 2009, 04:58 PM
i was under the distinct impression that installing os x on a non mac computer computer was illegal (obviously depending on the territory, but in most) otherwise surely it would be going on commercially

iMpathetic
Feb 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
i was under the distinct impression that installing os x on a non mac computer computer was illegal (obviously depending on the territory, but in most) otherwise surely it would be going on commercially

Wow, you're kind of misinformed.... :D

http://store.psystar.com/featured/open-osx.html

But no, it's not.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 25, 2009, 07:52 PM
I do not think you could get a MacBook Pro for $750 but wegenermedia.com (http://www.wegenermedia.com) has cheap MacBooks

iMpathetic
Feb 25, 2009, 07:56 PM
I was looking at the Low End Mac deals and you're right, they start at about 850.

I would love to have a MacBook and, say, a 23-inch LCD for it to go with. Maybe I'll just put a 7200RPM HDD in the iBook to make the Mac side faster and then just build a PC/Hackintosh for the heavy lifting.

Spock
Feb 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
I was looking at the Low End Mac deals and you're right, they start at about 850.

I would love to have a MacBook and, say, a 23-inch LCD for it to go with. Maybe I'll just put a 7200RPM HDD in the iBook to make the Mac side faster and then just build a PC/Hackintosh for the heavy lifting.

If the iBook still works, why not save some more money and grab a new white MacBook? Fully supported hardware, no hacking needed, warranty, Newness smell...;)

Feb 25, 2009, 09:08 PM
I personally would prefer an actual Mac to a Hackintosh just because of the feeling knowing I have a real Mac. That may sound stupid, but it feels better to me having a legitimate one. Now, what I would recommend, based on that, is refraining on extraneous computer purchases such as old G4s, etc, and saving up for an Intel Macbook or Mac of some sort.

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 06:35 AM
If the iBook still works, why not save some more money and grab a new white MacBook? Fully supported hardware, no hacking needed, warranty, Newness smell...;)

Well, in a lot of ways, that would be a good idea. I had a black 2.2GHz SR MacBook once for about a month and loved it. MacBooks are now under $600 all over the place, and while it wouldn't be new, even my beloved iBook wasn't bought new.

However, like I said, I am one of those people who likes to tinker and build and upgrade things. A MacBook would not really help any with that.

I have seen dual 1.8GHz G5s on Wegener Media for only $500. IMO that's a hell of a deal, and they're upgradeable as I get more money.

On the other hand, I could basically build a headless iMac for $500, as well. It'd be a hackintosh and probably trouble to get running, but it would be fun to play with.

See, this is why I'm undecided :o

I personally would prefer an actual Mac to a Hackintosh just because of the feeling knowing I have a real Mac. That may sound stupid, but it feels better to me having a legitimate one. Now, what I would recommend, based on that, is refraining on extraneous computer purchases such as old G4s, etc, and saving up for an Intel Macbook or Mac of some sort.

Hell, I've owned probably 20 different real Macs, young and old.

Refraining from any extraneous computer purchases is what I plan to do. It's going to be hard, but I'm not going to act on anything until I have a clear-cut plan.

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 06:50 AM
if you dont care for portability, i say hackintosh. dont get me wrong i love my macs but unless you have the money they are quite expensive for us youngsters.

DJ567
Feb 26, 2009, 07:04 AM
Wow, you're kind of misinformed.... :D

http://store.psystar.com/featured/open-osx.html

But no, it's not.nice, but i still wouldnt

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 01:20 PM
if you dont care for portability, i say hackintosh. dont get me wrong i love my macs but unless you have the money they are quite expensive for us youngsters.

Damn straight.

I don't know, if I can find an insane deal on a real Mac, then MAYBE.

The thing is, if I can be running an E4600 at 3.5GHz with 4GB RAM, a 500GB HDD, a real video card, and a cool case for about $350, then I don't really see how a Mac could possibly compare.

TJRiver
Feb 26, 2009, 01:34 PM
1 a YEAR?

I was at 1 a MONTH for a while.

I am not the least bit worried about breaking the EULA. I don't care that it's illegal. I also don't care about support. If there's an issue, I can figure it out. I like a challenge.

An Intel Mac would be wonderful. I remember my 2.2GHz blackbook -- now that was a computer.

On the other hand, if you don't build it with your own two hands, it's not really yours.

Hi there. I am with Apple's legal department and would like to have a word or two with you...................:apple:

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hi there. I am with Apple's legal department and would like to have a word or two with you...................:apple:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :D:D:p

That was hilarious, mad props.

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 05:44 PM
Damn straight.

I don't know, if I can find an insane deal on a real Mac, then MAYBE.

The thing is, if I can be running an E4600 at 3.5GHz with 4GB RAM, a 500GB HDD, a real video card, and a cool case for about $350, then I don't really see how a Mac could possibly compare.

pfffffffffffft!!!!!

why go for something outdated when you could have a pretty decent Corei7 for double the price? id go for it. DDR3 too :):)

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 05:50 PM
pfffffffffffft!!!!!

why go for something outdated when you could have a pretty decent Corei7 for double the price? id go for it. DDR3 too :):)

Oh, so I've been duped? I haven't been paying attention to PC stuff lately....

...say I have $550 or $600 and want to be able to OC and run a few games (not many). What are my options? :)

nomar383
Feb 26, 2009, 05:55 PM
I have had several macs now and I really enjoy using my macbook. However, the hackintosh route is considerably cheaper and they truly run very well. On a tight budget, it worked for me when I built mine.

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 05:55 PM
Oh, so I've been duped? I haven't been paying attention to PC stuff lately....

...say I have $550 or $600 and want to be able to OC and run a few games (not many). What are my options? :)

well im not that good at US conversions, im in australia (hehe)..so dont trust me 100% on this.

i reckon for $600US you could get a lowish range Corei7. mind you the corei7's can be OC'd rather nicely, most of the money for the computer would be put into the GPU (for me anyway). what games do you play?

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 05:56 PM
I have had several macs now and I really enjoy using my macbook. However, the hackintosh route is considerably cheaper and they truly run very well. On a tight budget, it worked for me when I built mine.

me too :) $500 Aus bucks later and im pretty darn happy. $326 US.

nomar383
Feb 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
well im not that good at US conversions, im in australia (hehe)..so dont trust me 100% on this.

i reckon for $600US you could get a lowish range Corei7. mind you the corei7's can be OC'd rather nicely, most of the money for the computer would be put into the GPU (for me anyway). what games do you play?

I think a Core i7 would set him back a bit more than that. My buddy just built one for almost $1800 :eek:, although I don't know all the specs off hand

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 05:58 PM
I think a Core i7 would set him back a bit more than that. My buddy just built one for almost $1800 :eek:, although I don't know all the specs off hand

for a bottom-line one i dont reckon it would. as long as the GPU isnt top line then it wouldnt be too expensive. ill have a look at an american website and draw up a quote.

oh btw is your hackintosh CPU an E4*00?? i may have the same as you :) OC'd to 3GHz though easily :)

oh btw btw the OP wouldnt need a monitor aswell, did your friend have amonitor?

nomar383
Feb 26, 2009, 06:02 PM
for a bottom-line one i dont reckon it would. as long as the GPU isnt top line then it wouldnt be too expensive. ill have a look at an american website and draw up a quote.

oh btw is your hackintosh CPU an E4*00?? i may have the same as you :) OC'd to 3GHz though easily :)

idk about the monitor, I'm sure he did

And I think if I OC'ed my hackintosh it would explode into flames lol. Hard to get great ventilation on a G4 Powermac Case

Cheapest Core i7 processor I could find on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
$280 bucks

Motherboards are even more :eek:

Edit: Dirt cheapest MB is $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130221

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 06:10 PM
idk about the monitor, I'm sure he did

And I think if I OC'ed my hackintosh it would explode into flames lol. Hard to get great ventilation on a G4 Powermac Case

Cheapest Core i7 processor I could find on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202
$280 bucks

Motherboards are even more :eek:

Edit: Dirt cheapest MB is $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130221

lol fair enough. did you price one???

• GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 $199.99

• Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory $89.99

• CLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case + GREATPOWER 650W PSU $149.98

• Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor $279.99

• GIGABYTE GV-R487D5-1GD Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card $259.99

• SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $99.99

i didnt include a DVD drive, they are dirt cheap. that system costs $640.95 US DOLLARS!!!!

that is pretty darn cheap, within the OP's ranges i reckon.

the GPU is fairly powerful, especially if he is 'occasionally' going to play games, you could use onboard and save ~$250.

the CPU can be OC'd to quite high, easily 3 on air so its pretty impressive :)

nomar383
Feb 26, 2009, 06:18 PM

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 $199.99

Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory $89.99

CLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case + GREATPOWER 650W PSU $149.98

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor $279.99

GIGABYTE GV-R487D5-1GD Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card $259.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $99.99

i didnt include a DVD drive, they are dirt cheap. that system costs $640.95 US DOLLARS!!!!

the GPU is fairly powerful, especially if he is 'occasionally' going to play games, you could use onboard and save ~$250.

Okay you got me, that ain't too shabby :) OS X run on it?

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 06:21 PM
Okay you got me, that ain't too shabby :) OS X run on it?

haha of course it would :D

wish i had the ~$1000 AUS to buy something like it! i probably wouldnt buy the lower machine but, have to get something that was dual-quad core capable. therefore making it effectively a 16-thread machine :)

seems fairly attractive though for the price, they are cheaper parts though so i wouldnt trust them 100%. always backup! haha

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 06:21 PM

I do not really play any games except for Need For Speed sometimes, and that's just when I'm REALLY bored. When it comes time to sell it, though, a GPU is a good selling point.

I have like 10 :D

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 $199.99

Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory $89.99

CLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case + GREATPOWER 650W PSU $149.98

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor $279.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $99.99 (Get a $40 320GB one)

With my changes it's about $400 USD. That's ridiculous. I am so going to do that.

I can use onboard, it's enough for NFS, and I can stick a 9600GT in there if I feel the need.

What do you think?

nomar383
Feb 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
What do you think?

I think you need to stop tempting me to build another computer!

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 06:26 PM
I do not really play any games except for Need For Speed sometimes, and that's just when I'm REALLY bored. When it comes time to sell it, though, a GPU is a good selling point.

oh ok excellent, NFS is pretty basic in terms of GPU requirements

With my changes it's about $400 USD. That's ridiculous. I am so going to do that.

I can use onboard, it's enough for NFS, and I can stick a 9600GT in there if I feel the need.

What do you think?

wow that is cheap hey! can be OC'd to 3ghz easily! i have seem 3.7GHz on air reported with an upgraded cooler.

one thing though, apparently the RAM i recommended doesnt run on the X58 intel mobo that i recommended :-S. you might have to check that out. here is the link to it. (the third review tells you)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148246

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 06:37 PM
oh ok excellent, NFS is pretty basic in terms of GPU requirements

wow that is cheap hey! can be OC'd to 3ghz easily! i have seem 3.7GHz on air reported with an upgraded cooler.

one thing though, apparently the RAM i recommended doesnt run on the X58 intel mobo that i recommended :-S. you might have to check that out. here is the link to it. (the third review tells you)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148246

I know! Being out of computers for a year is fun 'cause when you get back into it, everything is REALLY cheap.

I will keep y'all posted... gonna try and configure one at the $500 USD pricepoint with a dedicated GPU and non-cheap parts.

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 06:39 PM
I know! Being out of computers for a year is fun 'cause when you get back into it, everything is REALLY cheap.

I will keep y'all posted... gonna try and configure one at the $500 USD pricepoint with a dedicated GPU and non-cheap parts.

ok awsome, ill be around :)

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 06:40 PM
Your math was wrong. Without a GPU and with a 500GB HDD and 3GB RAM that system is $600 even.

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 06:42 PM
Actually, the original system was $1078... don't know how the hell you managed that :D

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 06:43 PM
**** neither do i.......... mybad...

nomar383
Feb 26, 2009, 06:49 PM
Way to crush all my dreams lol

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 06:50 PM
Way to crush all my dreams lol

sorry :mad:
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
DoFoTo, do you know of any good LGA 775 motherboards with integated graphics that OC well?

flyguy206
Feb 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
I would go for the used mac.

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 07:27 PM
I wish it looked like a better deal to do so!

I configured a Core i7 system for $600.

Can you do that at an Apple Store? No. Sure, lack of support, but building things is fun.

California
Feb 26, 2009, 07:34 PM
Ah, the thrill of the chase.

My last remaining respectable computer is my trusty iBook -- 1.33GHz G4, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, with Tiger and a blue Apple logo. :D

You should max out the iBook to 1.5gb ram/250 5400 HD and Superdrive/ disable Dashboard before giving up the ghost on it.

I think they are great machines, still. Your oem HD is VERY slow.

OR sell it and get the new white MacBook. You can use it as a desktop anyway.

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 07:38 PM
I wish I had more MONEY!

I already disabled Dashboard and I think it helped. All I need now is a $60 HDD and I'll be in business.

Let's see... $375 hackintosh plus $60 HDD is $435. Could get tight but maybe I can do that.

How much of a performance boost would I see? For me, it's an issue of CPU usage when just Web browsing with two tabs open, and I don't know why!

DoFoT9
Feb 26, 2009, 08:14 PM
DoFoTo, do you know of any good LGA 775 motherboards with integated graphics that OC well?

i have the "MotherBoard Intel S775 Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L (All in 1)" that works PERFECTLY. runs hackintoshes easily, easy to OC and the RAM can be boosted up a little bit.

note: i couldnt get the hackintosh recognising the onboard GPU (it worked but only as minimal res), i have an 8500GT that works flawlessly with it. cheap as chips too!

I wish I had more MONEY!

I already disabled Dashboard and I think it helped. All I need now is a $60 HDD and I'll be in business.

Let's see... $375 hackintosh plus $60 HDD is $435. Could get tight but maybe I can do that.

How much of a performance boost would I see? For me, it's an issue of CPU usage when just Web browsing with two tabs open, and I don't know why!

yes i want more money too! $375 hackintosh is the older 775 you did before isnt it? the corei7 is the $600 one?? got any specs on the one you wish to purchase?

SkyBell
Feb 26, 2009, 08:17 PM

That shouldn't be an issue. I've got 6 tabs open right now, no problems. Even when I only had 512 MB of RAM, I could still do that.:confused:

iMpathetic
Feb 26, 2009, 08:56 PM
That shouldn't be an issue. I've got 6 tabs open right now, no problems. Even when I only had 512 MB of RAM, I could still do that.:confused:

Yes, but mine seems to be colossally retarded.

@ DoFoTo: I'm still in the planning stages but it's basically a Q9400, a Gigabyte mobo, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB HDD running in a donated case and PSU.

If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

The Q8200 or 8500 or whatever (the 2.33GHz one) would save me a ton of coin for a real GPU.

nateDEEZY
Feb 27, 2009, 10:56 AM
In regards to the new Core i7's I'm not sure if OSx86 is capable of recognizing the hyperthreading technology in them to get the 8-core functionality. If anyone has any information on that, I'd be curious to know. My original set up I had made for under $900 USD, I think I've reached the FSB ceiling on my mobo, can't seem to get a stable OC pass 1600 FBS.

I had plenty of options when chosing graphics cards when I first made mine, but there was no native support in OSX for 9 series Nvidia's and now I'm still using an 8800GT re-flashed with an OC'd bios from a Mac Pro 8800GT dump.

I'd recommend doing some research, to specific components to get the most reliable hackintosh. I've been using mine reliably since June 08.

iMpathetic
Feb 27, 2009, 01:23 PM
In regards to the new Core i7's I'm not sure if OSx86 is capable of recognizing the hyperthreading technology in them to get the 8-core functionality. If anyone has any information on that, I'd be curious to know. My original set up I had made for under $900 USD, I think I've reached the FSB ceiling on my mobo, can't seem to get a stable OC pass 1600 FBS.

I had plenty of options when chosing graphics cards when I first made mine, but there was no native support in OSX for 9 series Nvidia's and now I'm still using an 8800GT re-flashed with an OC'd bios from a Mac Pro 8800GT dump.

I'd recommend doing some research, to specific components to get the most reliable hackintosh. I've been using mine reliably since June 08.

So, you've drank the Hackintosh Kool-Aid?

Interesting. How was your experience?

Anyway, there's no way I am going to be able to build a Core i7 anytime soon. Looks more like a Core 2 Quad, probably one of the midrange ones, running in a borrowed case, with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, on a Gigabyte mobo with integrated graphics, unless I can finagle a GPU as well.

nateDEEZY
Feb 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
So, you've drank the Hackintosh Kool-Aid?

Interesting. How was your experience?

Anyway, there's no way I am going to be able to build a Core i7 anytime soon. Looks more like a Core 2 Quad, probably one of the midrange ones, running in a borrowed case, with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, on a Gigabyte mobo with integrated graphics, unless I can finagle a GPU as well.

I'd recommend the 8800GT as it is native in the Mac Pro's and if you're brave enough, they are flashable with Mac Pro 8800GT bios's. Also the 8800 GT is equipped with a hardware decoder for H.264 and VC-1 codecs, which is why I assume is why Apple went with them to begin with.

My experience with my hackintosh is documented on another thread in my siggy if you care to read. The more I look into how the OSx86 community has evolved the easier it seems to start new projects. The initial set-up was the most time consuming, researching ahead of time to get everything up and running. Then having to "deal" with each update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6. Going to 10.5.4 was by far the easiest that took almost no thinking, but going from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 was the largest pita as well as updating to EFIv9 to get to 10.5.6 as well as reflashing my 8800GT.

It's my understand there are already some distro's out there with 10.5.6 making that upgrade the easiest. Even with my MBP I've always been hesitant with software updates, especially with the mindset "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I held onto 10.5.4 the longest, as I saw no real need to update. The most CPU intensive software I use is Aperature and Photoshop, and the occsional quick&dirty movie editing I do in iMovie. So as a main desktop it's going strong nearly a year, listening to iTunes, syncing my iPhone and iPod and streaming music/movies to the 360 and PS3.

You'll spend the most time during intial set up getting everything to "just work," but after you get everything to work properly it's just avoiding the temptation of major OS updates (10.5.X.) I've kept up with every software update, quicktime, photoshop, iwork/ilife etc etc without any issues what so ever while under 10.5.4

Also I haven't ran any Geekbench 2 #'s since June last year, tonight before I leave for the weekend I'll update with new #'s to see if those benchmarks have changed at all.

iMpathetic
Feb 27, 2009, 03:25 PM
I read the thread, yes. Very interesting how you got all of it to work, unfortunately, one of the supervising study hall drones got me.

I will read it in-depth this evening.

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 07:03 PM
You can get a original MacBook for $600.

I wish apple would sell a motherboard that would take generic pc parts.

coupdetat
Feb 27, 2009, 07:08 PM
I think it depends on your usage. If you are a specs-and-ports kind of guy, then go Hackintosh but don't be surprised if you end up sinking a fair amount of time into making it work perfectly. If you are just looking to get work done, you can't go wrong with a new White MacBook.

iMpathetic
Feb 27, 2009, 07:23 PM
I think it depends on your usage. If you are a specs-and-ports kind of guy, then go Hackintosh but don't be surprised if you end up sinking a fair amount of time into making it work perfectly. If you are just looking to get work done, you can't go wrong with a new White MacBook.

Being 15 years old, I am not responsible for getting any work done, so...

Looks like I'm going to build a budget Hackintosh and spend about $100 on a new battery and HDD for the iBook.

My parts list, for anyone who knows what works well...

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

EVGA GeForce 8600GTS Superclocked

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600

And a Cooler Master case and power supply that my friend is giving me until I sell enough to get an Antec 300 and a decent power supply.

What do you guys think of this build?

nateDEEZY
Feb 27, 2009, 08:48 PM

Looks like I'm going to build a budget Hackintosh and spend about $100 on a new battery and HDD for the iBook.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600

And a Cooler Master case and power supply that my friend is giving me until I sell enough to get an Antec 300 and a decent power supply.

Only thing I'd look into is a different graphics card and mobo, you can get a decent Gigabyte XX-PXX-DS3L mobo for less than a hundred and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find ant 8800GT for <100 also.

Other than that, that seems like a relatively solid build.

iMpathetic
Feb 27, 2009, 08:55 PM
My budget is $275. That is literally all I can spend.

However, I should be buying the Three Hundred and a decent PSU soon.

It's a start though.

I'm gonna start downloading the OS now... should I use iDeneb? Leo4All? Which is the absolute easiest?

dukebound85
Feb 27, 2009, 08:57 PM
My budget is $275. That is literally all I can spend.

However, I should be buying the Three Hundred and a decent PSU soon.

It's a start though.

I'm gonna start downloading the OS now... should I use iDeneb? Leo4All? Which is the absolute easiest?

none of them. use boot-132 and use a retail disk

dmmcintyre3
Feb 27, 2009, 08:59 PM
My brother had his 8600GTS fail in his PC.

iMpathetic
Feb 27, 2009, 09:03 PM
none of them. use boot-132 and use a retail disk

OK, thanks, I'll look into that. :)
My brother had his 8600GTS fail in his PC.

Are you really determined to rain on my parade no matter what I say? Just because the card is an 8600GTS doesn't mean it's prone to failure. Who made your brother's card?

DoFoT9
Feb 28, 2009, 02:40 AM

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600

basically my setup you have there, apart from my 8500GT. mobo and CPU are equal. the CPU can easily hit 3.0GHz on air (what i have it at).

iATKOS is what i use, easiest IMO.

iMpathetic
Feb 28, 2009, 06:17 AM
Sweeettt.... can't wait to get going!

Thanks for your help, everyone. I will keep you posted in this thread as events transpire.

clyde2801
Feb 28, 2009, 09:11 AM
Why not use a boing-boing recommended netbook and go straight to installing os x on it

Functional mini macbook for 2-300 bucks that's light and ultaportable? C'mon, you know you want to do it!:cool:

iMpathetic
Feb 28, 2009, 10:06 AM
Why not use a boing-boing recommended netbook and go straight to installing os x on it

Functional mini macbook for 2-300 bucks that's light and ultaportable? C'mon, you know you want to do it!:cool:

How do you like your Ideapad?

Fancy posting a pic of it running OS X? :)

nomar383
Feb 28, 2009, 10:23 AM
He's right, a netbook may be a good option. Almost all of them run atom which is near perfect for OS X

nateDEEZY
Mar 2, 2009, 02:22 AM
Updated geekbench score, between

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/112988 Now 4727

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/64806 Then 4647

Looks like my CPU speed went down while the 6gb of memory made my memory speed go up =/ Will have to look into that more. Although my overall speed went up.

iMpathetic
Mar 2, 2009, 06:40 AM
Ordering the parts from newegg tomorrow!!! Can't wait!

clyde2801
Mar 2, 2009, 06:47 AM
How do you like your Ideapad?

Fancy posting a pic of it running OS X? :)

I love it. It's small, light, portable, nice ibm style and build quality and completely up to browsing, word processing, email, itunes, videos, etc.

I'll have to upload some pictures at a later date.

nateDEEZY
Mar 2, 2009, 08:14 AM

Good luck.

nomar383
Mar 2, 2009, 09:58 AM

Awesome! What did you decide on?

iMpathetic
Mar 3, 2009, 06:32 PM
Awesome! What did you decide on?

Okay, sorry I haven't kept you all posted. I've jumped the gun :D

I will probably be ordering next week.

Here's what I'm getting:

- Antec Three Hundred case
- Corsair 400W PSU
- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Micro ATX motherboard (suggestions under $75? I prefer 4 RAM slots.)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 CPU
- Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS24G6400LLK
- Samsung DVDRW
- EVGA GeForce 8600GTS
- XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

All for about $550 shipped.

Any part change suggestions?

iMpathetic
Mar 6, 2009, 03:23 PM
Update: Budget is now $1300.

What should I do now?

DoFoT9
Mar 6, 2009, 04:46 PM
Update: Budget is now $1300.

What should I do now?

corei7 :p

DesignerOnMac
Mar 6, 2009, 05:04 PM

MacBook Pro's, core duo, on eBay are selling for over $1,000.00 or more. I think it will be hard to get one that is working for under a $1,000.00, but as you say, you can probably repair or rebuild a MacBook Pro.

RedTomato
Mar 6, 2009, 06:25 PM
Suggest avoid CoreDuo stuff. My brother has a CD Macbook, and in my opinion, OSX doesn't really mesh with the CD Intel stuff well. Stutters a lot. I avoided buying one myself when they came out as it was too new and experimental for me.

PPC - rapidly approaching obsolescent. If you still have an iBook, fab, if not, avoid sinking more money into it if possible. I look after 3 iBooks, all with 1.5GB and Leopard (for Time Machine compatibility). Good for word, email, light internet etc but not much else. Hard drives approaching end of life, and will fail soon. Two other iBooks have already failed (HD, video card) and replacing HDs is a beast on them.

C2D onwards - works fab. Love my year-old C2D whitebook, 2.2ghz, 4GB RAM and still faster than any whitebook Apple sells now. Integrated video doesn't bother me - still lightning fast for photochop, FCE, iMovie etc.

Cheapo hackingtosh - good idea if you have lots of time to experiment. Tempted myself, but don't have time or the space for any desktops now.

Home desktops are the past, laptops are the way forwards for home computing.

Netbook - good idea again if you have time to get it working. Ultraportable OSX is wonderful.

Not keen on Macbook Pro. I have a powerbook 15'' (bought it when it was new) - too big and heavy to carry round much. Wonderful screen, but still big and heavy. My Macbook is almost the same size and weight, but 100x more portable. Easier to replace HD on Macbook. Mine sings with a 320GB.

If you have a friend at university, whitebook with university discount is very cheap, plus the 3 years free applecare makes it the bargain of the century.

DoFoT9
Mar 7, 2009, 03:09 AM
info...

If you have a friend at university, whitebook with university discount is very cheap, plus the 3 years free applecare makes it the bargain of the century.

what? really? 3 years free applecare?? i wonder if we have taht in australia.. :|

Igantius
Mar 7, 2009, 05:58 AM
what? really? 3 years free applecare?? i wonder if we have taht in australia.. :|

Pretty sure that this is only through the United Kingdom H.E. Store - it's actually three years parts and labour warranty and only about 45 to upgrade to the full AppleCare.

iMpathetic
Mar 7, 2009, 06:35 AM
My Dad is a professor at a fairly big university -- does he get a good discount?

With the $1300 budget, I could buy a pretty damn good Mac, but a phenomenal PC.

What are my options Mac-wise for that price?

nomar383
Mar 7, 2009, 02:22 PM
Nearly a refurb MBP, save the additional 200 and get one of those!

iMpathetic
Mar 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
How well do G41 boards work with OS X?