PDA

View Full Version : Google to offer Free Email w/ 1GB space

Grimace
Mar 31, 2004, 09:38 PM
Check this one out!! :)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/03/31/google.email.ap/index.html

Dippo
Mar 31, 2004, 10:14 PM
Yeap, I am going to register 100's of accounts and use it as my own personal storage.

Too bad, they are probably going to limit attachment files sizes :(

Awimoway
Mar 31, 2004, 10:15 PM
Yeah, hard to imagine their generosity won't be grossly abused. Either they have some kind of amazing discount on storage space or this isn't going to last long.

Grimace
Mar 31, 2004, 10:20 PM
once you do a free service, it's hard to start charging - NetZero had that issue. I hope Google can just pay for it with ads and make a better free email service. Maybe even .MAC will come down in price!!

ratspg
Mar 31, 2004, 10:26 PM
Dank, im excited! :)

jsw
Mar 31, 2004, 10:29 PM
Ah, another source of sp*m just opened up!

But, man, 1GB is excellent. Let's see how this one turns out...

jburrw
Mar 31, 2004, 10:44 PM
Anyone else think that this is gonna be an April Fools joke?

Grimace
Mar 31, 2004, 10:53 PM
I hadn't even thought about that - I don't think Google would go to so much publicity if that were the case. The idea is plausible. Ads pay for space - the same way Google makes its money now.

gwuMACaddict
Mar 31, 2004, 11:04 PM
thats a lot of space :D

jsw
Mar 31, 2004, 11:17 PM
Actually, CNN got it wrong. Google announced that each account had a 1 GB capacity, which CNN interpreted as "gigabyte". In reality, it is a GoogleByte, defined as a mere 23.6 megabytes.

rainman::|:|
Apr 1, 2004, 12:20 AM
Actually, CNN got it wrong. Google announced that each account had a 1 GB capacity, which CNN interpreted as "gigabyte". In reality, it is a GoogleByte, defined as a mere 23.6 megabytes.

no offense, but did you just make that up? according to

http://gmail.google.com/

it will offer 1000 megabytes of storage per account...

paul

KC9AIC
Apr 1, 2004, 12:34 AM
I'm pretty sure this is an April Fool's joke. I heard that they did something like this last year.

g808
Apr 1, 2004, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure this is an April Fool's joke. I heard that they did something like this last year.

I really doubt it since this would serve as negative publicity. I would think many people would be angry if this turned out to be a joke. Basically getting everyone excited only to say "April Fools"? Not very good PR.

Flowbee
Apr 1, 2004, 01:12 AM

Sorry, but Google is getting ready to go public (ie, issue shares of stock). It's *very* unlikely that they're making jokes about major business initiatives. Plus... just how is joking about free email supposed to be funny?? :confused:

Awimoway
Apr 1, 2004, 01:17 AM
Sorry, but Google is getting ready to go public (ie, issue shares of stock). It's *very* unlikely that they're making jokes about major business initiatives. Plus... just how is joking about free email supposed to be funny?? :confused:

I agree with every point. I think this story is probably legit. But really, isn't this a stupid week for any major announcements, especially if your company has a history of partaking in a little April Fools celebration?

m4rc
Apr 1, 2004, 01:35 AM
True or not, do you really like the sound of this:

Google plans to make money from the service by inserting advertisements into messages based in part on their content, effectively extending its AdWords program for presenting contextual ads in Web pages to e-mail.

Quoted from CNt News.com - http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5182805.html

So they have a system that reads your email's, and then inserts relevant adverts. Nice! Maybe they are hoping some terrorists sign up eh!

Marc

Savage Henry
Apr 1, 2004, 01:41 AM
Owning a gig of Google's space for free just doesn't make sense.

If it turns out to be true then I will eat my hat and all the hats at Big Bob's Crazee Hat Emporium.

edesignuk
Apr 1, 2004, 02:27 AM
I would still sign up just to use the inbox for spam and other junk, but I wouln't use it for my personal email.

KC9AIC
Apr 1, 2004, 05:08 AM
Well, regardless of whether I think it sounds like a joke, I also certainly see that it would cause a lot of hype that wouldn't be good to kill. I'm certainly hoping that Google can go for this. Something that will save them is that not everybody will actually use a whole gig. This will allow them to have more users on a more reasonable amount of disk space. I'm thinking there will probably be some sort of restrictions on amount of file transfer, and attachment size, so people don't try to use it as a storage spot for their music collection, etc.

gorman
Apr 1, 2004, 06:21 AM
Actually, it is real. This is their April foos joke: http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html

mrgreen4242
Apr 1, 2004, 06:29 AM

Google plans to make money from the service by inserting advertisements into messages based in part on their content, effectively extending its AdWords program for presenting contextual ads in Web pages to e-mail.

Quoted from CNt News.com - http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5182805.html

So they have a system that reads your email's, and then inserts relevant adverts. Nice! Maybe they are hoping some terrorists sign up eh!

Marc

Ya that was my first thought. Don't liek that at all. I hope that enough people send them emails explaining that they decided not to choose Googles service over a competitors for that reason and they either abandon it, or off a service will smaller storage and no notext sensitive ads.

Altho, with the general contents of my email box, the ads could be quite humerous... :p

Sabbath
Apr 1, 2004, 06:41 AM
Just imagine the amount of stick their servers would take as people tried to get their name/addy @google/gmail.com it would be a nightmare trying to sign up.

stoid
Apr 1, 2004, 07:55 AM
As I originally posted at www.notanotherforum.com (Come on over for some great fun! BTW: put down stoid as your refferer. ;) ):

I don't know if I like the thought that all the E-mails I send are being read and word analyzed by a computer and modified accordingly. That is only one small step from it being censored, or reported to authorities based on context. Many times, I use sarcasm and irony in my E-mails. I don't want a computer or someone who doesn't know that I am not serious to misinterpret it and accuse me of treason or something like that. I personally will refuse to use an E-mail service that screens my E-mails on ANY level. Either that or I will send encrypted messages...

jsw
Apr 1, 2004, 08:29 AM
no offense, but did you just make that up? according to

http://gmail.google.com/

it will offer 1000 megabytes of storage per account...

paul

Yeah, I made it up. It was late enought that it was actually April 1 when I wrote it (where I'm at, at least).

claytonbench
Apr 1, 2004, 02:01 PM
I really doubt it since this would serve as negative publicity. I would think many people would be angry if this turned out to be a joke. Basically getting everyone excited only to say "April Fools"? Not very good PR.

There is no such thing as bad publicity. Anything to get your name heard.

Dippo
Apr 1, 2004, 02:35 PM
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Anything to get your name heard.

Maybe google is just testing the waters. If people like the idea, they will come out with it...but if people don't like the idea, "April Fools!"

Honestly, I think it's a good idea, it can't be any worse than hotmail or yahoo....can it?

Makosuke
Apr 1, 2004, 04:04 PM
I already posted this elsewhere, but despite how extreme it sounds I'll bet it's not going to add up to quite how it sounds.

First of all, I'll bet that is 1000MB of text e-mail, not 1000MB including attachments. Were that the case, Google could use some of it's I assume considerable compression technology to reduce the size of the actual stored data--I'd bet a factor of 10 or even 100 is possible. They specialize in storing positively vast ammounts of indexed text, after all, and the PR even said GMail would be search-based.

The other important thing is that 99.9% of people do not, and never will, receive 1GB of e-mail. Most people probably won't get a tenth that in their entire lives. Take that average and compression into account, and suddenly you're not talking about much more stored data than most other free e-mail services offer, but it sounds a heckuva lot more impressive than 5MB free, and AdWords will probably make a lot more money for them than random banners.

This all requires two things to work, though: 1) No attachments, and 2) No spam. Spam could rapidly overload almost anything, so they're going to need some sort of significant spam filtering. But if anybody can profile a vast selection of messages to determine which are similar and which are not, it'd be Google.

Might just work, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Incidentally, I don't think Google is in need of publicity--they're already the 800 pound Gorilla, even with MS defaulting every single verison of IE to their own search engine. All they need to do is maintain their monopoly on finding information.

Dippo
Apr 1, 2004, 05:11 PM
The other important thing is that 99.9% of people do not, and never will, receive 1GB of e-mail. Most people probably won't get a tenth that in their entire lives.

I have to agree that if the 1000MB is all text, then it would be almost impossible to fill it up. AOL gives me 20MB for e-mail storage and after a year of saving every (non spam) e-mail, I still haven't filled it up!

AngryLawnGnome
Apr 1, 2004, 07:22 PM
Nice! Google rocks...hard.

donniedarko
Apr 1, 2004, 09:20 PM
I just checked it and it isn't compatible. Only with Netscape, IE, Firefox, and Mozilla- No love for Safari...

JamesDPS
Apr 1, 2004, 09:40 PM
Even though I don't even know how much I'll use it, I love the idea. I still can't wrap my head around having a gig of space, though -- would they either disallow attachments or delete old attachments (keeping the message) or something? Because I think the average user could reach a gig pretty easily if it includes attachments...

But in any case, this also means more competition for yahoo and hotmail to deal with. I've had a hotmail account since they first came became widely used (that's what? since about 1997 or so?) before MS took them over, and I don't plan on getting rid of it for general use stuff. I have a school email account, but that's done in a few months, and I plan to get a .mac account when I get a new computer, which will be when new PowerMacs come out. All of these services (except school, of course) might have to improve (or become cheaper) to stay competitive, so that's a good thing for a dot-communist like me (dot-communism: the belief that everything on the internet should be free, or at least, paid for by someone else... can't remember the source of the definition. anyone?)

acidrock
Apr 3, 2004, 12:17 AM
edit: google email service is out after I looked on the web. Link:

https://gmail.google.com/?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fgmail.google.com%2F