Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
claytonbench said:
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Anything to get your name heard.

Maybe google is just testing the waters. If people like the idea, they will come out with it...but if people don't like the idea, "April Fools!"

Honestly, I think it's a good idea, it can't be any worse than hotmail or yahoo....can it?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I already posted this elsewhere, but despite how extreme it sounds I'll bet it's not going to add up to quite how it sounds.

First of all, I'll bet that is 1000MB of text e-mail, not 1000MB including attachments. Were that the case, Google could use some of it's I assume considerable compression technology to reduce the size of the actual stored data--I'd bet a factor of 10 or even 100 is possible. They specialize in storing positively vast ammounts of indexed text, after all, and the PR even said GMail would be search-based.

The other important thing is that 99.9% of people do not, and never will, receive 1GB of e-mail. Most people probably won't get a tenth that in their entire lives. Take that average and compression into account, and suddenly you're not talking about much more stored data than most other free e-mail services offer, but it sounds a heckuva lot more impressive than 5MB free, and AdWords will probably make a lot more money for them than random banners.

This all requires two things to work, though: 1) No attachments, and 2) No spam. Spam could rapidly overload almost anything, so they're going to need some sort of significant spam filtering. But if anybody can profile a vast selection of messages to determine which are similar and which are not, it'd be Google.

Might just work, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Incidentally, I don't think Google is in need of publicity--they're already the 800 pound Gorilla, even with MS defaulting every single verison of IE to their own search engine. All they need to do is maintain their monopoly on finding information.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Makosuke said:
The other important thing is that 99.9% of people do not, and never will, receive 1GB of e-mail. Most people probably won't get a tenth that in their entire lives.

I have to agree that if the 1000MB is all text, then it would be almost impossible to fill it up. AOL gives me 20MB for e-mail storage and after a year of saving every (non spam) e-mail, I still haven't filled it up!

JamesDPS

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
Irvine, CA
Even though I don't even know how much I'll use it, I love the idea. I still can't wrap my head around having a gig of space, though -- would they either disallow attachments or delete old attachments (keeping the message) or something? Because I think the average user could reach a gig pretty easily if it includes attachments...

But in any case, this also means more competition for yahoo and hotmail to deal with. I've had a hotmail account since they first came became widely used (that's what? since about 1997 or so?) before MS took them over, and I don't plan on getting rid of it for general use stuff. I have a school email account, but that's done in a few months, and I plan to get a .mac account when I get a new computer, which will be when new PowerMacs come out. All of these services (except school, of course) might have to improve (or become cheaper) to stay competitive, so that's a good thing for a dot-communist like me (dot-communism: the belief that everything on the internet should be free, or at least, paid for by someone else... can't remember the source of the definition. anyone?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.