PDA

View Full Version : Cyan's Classic 'Myst' Arrives in App Store

MacRumors
May 3, 2009, 03:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/03/cyans-classic-myst-arrives-in-app-store/)

The classic game of Myst has arrived in the App Store (http://toucharcade.com/2009/05/02/cyans-myst-for-iphone-brings-back-memories/). Myst is a 1993 game that was originally developed for the Mac under Apple's Hypercard tool. While rather simplistic by today's standards, the game was both a critical and commercial success becoming the best selling computer game up until that time. The game starts you on a strange island where you must explore your surroundings, solve puzzles and figure out the backstory.

The interface is entirely point-and-click driven. Switches, clues and other hints are explored by tapping on interesting items on the screen. There are also many puzzle elements that must be solved in order to complete the game.
A video of the game shows it from the launch which should bring back memories for fans of the original game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTFyj-L4mrs

The game comes in at a massive 727MB and 1.5GB free on your iPhone or iPod Touch for installation.

App Store Link: Myst, $5.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311941991&mt=8)

Article Link: Cyan's Classic 'Myst' Arrives in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/03/cyans-classic-myst-arrives-in-app-store/)

alexbates
May 3, 2009, 04:00 PM
Awesome, I'm getting that. But 727MB... thats insane! Developers need to make apps a small size because if all the good 3D games were like that, you could only have 5 games. Or Apple needs to make an iPhone with a larger HD.

DanielKane
May 3, 2009, 04:04 PM
Nice, I'll be buying it :)

BlizzardBomb
May 3, 2009, 04:11 PM
Awesome, I'm getting that. But 727MB... thats insane! Developers need to make apps a small size because if all the good 3D games were like that, you could only have 5 games. Or Apple needs to make an iPhone with a larger HD.

I'm guessing optimizing it for size would've taken more work than they'd have liked.

jmann
May 3, 2009, 04:12 PM
I love that game. I am so excited about this. :)

jmaquarry
May 3, 2009, 04:13 PM
Definitely buying this game...
Space is not an issue for me... 700+mb or not -
of course with the hopeful release of spotify in the near future, means i will be able to support many more games/apps this size - i would rather have a brilliant classic opposed to one scaled down and minimised due to size restrictions...

Fiveos22
May 3, 2009, 04:15 PM
Oh yes, that does jog memories. I love the music from the original Myst.

BTW is this the 3D-ified version of the game?

Edit: Oh no, its the actual original! Woah.

Jamnabot
May 3, 2009, 04:17 PM
As long as it's such a large size because the music is high quality, I'm fine with it!

Not that I have an iPhone or Touch, but I still approve.

ViciousShadow21
May 3, 2009, 04:21 PM
oh man i loved Myst. does anyone know where i can get it for Leopard. preferably free.

on a side note does anybody remember the sequel to Myst called Riven? i didnt like it as much.

EDIT: looked around and there does not seem anywhere that one can play it online. but since the iPhone runs os x i would think that pretty soon that one will be available to download or play online.

rhumbaclave
May 3, 2009, 04:22 PM
I want the 7th Guest now that would bring back memory's. I wonder if I still know the puzzles.

The General
May 3, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm guessing optimizing it for size would've taken more work than they'd have liked.

The game isn't 3D, it's prerendered. "Optimizing it for size" would've been as simple as using Imagemagick and doing something like:

convert -resize 50% -quality 80 input.jpg output.jpg

Which they probably DID do. There are thousands of images in Myst. The original game was massive too. It's the nature of the beast that is Myst.

BlizzardBomb
May 3, 2009, 04:26 PM
The game isn't 3D, it's prerendered. "Optimizing it for size" would've been as simple as using Imagemagick and doing something like:

Which they probably DID do. There are thousands of images in Myst. The original game was massive too. It's the nature of the beast that is Myst.

I didn't say it was 3D :p I know there are a lot of images in the game, most of the game is basically images. But there's also video and audio to account for too. I'm not saying they didn't optimize it, just I'm "guessing" (key word in my first post ;)) they didn't fiddle with it as much as they could've given a larger budget and more time.

Dagless
Glad to see the dead horse that is the original Myst is still being beaten.

gr8tfly

I believe it's that size because of the embedded video clips and pre-rendered scenes (aside from the hq audio). There weren't any machines capable of rendering them real-time back then (these all have fog/shadows/and lighting effects). Every control was rendered and animated. They did do a 3D version, which was real-time rendered - perhaps they will port that eventually. But, it doesn't play like the original and that's what they're brought to the iPhone. It doesn't foreshadow any new development paradigm - this is a unique port. (There are some apps which have embedded video and/or high quality audio - they're large too.)

The General
May 3, 2009, 04:35 PM
I didn't say it was 3D :p

Yeah, I was kind of address you and alexbates in the same post.

goka
May 3, 2009, 04:36 PM
I want the 7th Guest now that would bring back memory's. I wonder if I still know the puzzles.

What about Deja Vu, Uninvited and Shadowgate - I'd love to see them on an OS X screen someday. iPhone or desktop doesn't matter.

rstansby
May 3, 2009, 04:41 PM

The original game was massive for its time. But that was 1993 when you could buy a mac classic II with an 80MB hard-drive. I believe Myst came on a CD, so it couldn't have been 797 MB.

arkmannj
May 3, 2009, 04:48 PM
I think this is awesome,
I do wish 'Real Myst' could have made it :-) but I can understand why not.
this is still very awesome. The memories. The Myst Series is still one of my absolute favorite games of all time.

MoncoZero
May 3, 2009, 04:49 PM
I was too young and didn't have the patience for Myst when it came out. With this release I am excited to try it again.

Weren't there sequels to Myst? Also, weren't there parodies? Pyst? Think I remember something like that.

TraceyS/FL
May 3, 2009, 04:49 PM
Well i'm ready to buy.

And I don't even own anything to play it ON right now! LOL!!!

I'd love to have 7th Guest and Deja Vu too! :D

AGSHender
May 3, 2009, 04:54 PM
That's pretty freaking awesome. I might wait and see if they can shrink it a bit through some optimization, but I have to say, I'm very impressed.

Now, will someone get to work on a port of The Journeyman Project?

Adamo
May 3, 2009, 04:55 PM
Glad to see the dead horse that is the original Myst is still being beaten.
Obviously it isn't dead if people are getting excited about it and wanting to buy it.. there's no other way to play it than getting the original and hoping it'll run.

Here's hoping for 7th Guest, 11th Hour and the Lucasart's classics.

arkmannj
May 3, 2009, 04:56 PM
I was too young and didn't have the patience for Myst when it came out. With this release I am excited to try it again.

Weren't there sequels to Myst? Also, weren't there parodies? Pyst? Think I remember something like that.

Myst
Riven (Myst 2)
Exile (Myst 3)
Revelation (Myst 4)
End Of Ages (Myst 5)
Myst:URU (Myst Online/URU Live, Path of the Shell, Complete Chronicles, etc...)

RealMyst (Myst done in 3D, I believe this was Cyan trying out their 3D engine the would later use for URU)

sonictonic
May 3, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not a MYST fan but I think it's very cool this has come out. It gives me hope that we may see 7th Guest come out for the iPhone too. THAT would be awesome. *crosses fingers*

applecultvictim
May 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
an old game for the iphone as news...great...:rolleyes:

akacaj
May 3, 2009, 05:06 PM
Not only is the iPhone making it possible for indies to make good money but it is also breathing life into old games. I had a 200mhz machine with 4mb of ram and 200mb HD when i played the original Myst...now the iPhone with better specs but in my pocket. Do you guys remember the "Turbo" button? I am still not exactly sure what it was for. Like why would anyone not want to run on Turbo!

winterspan
May 3, 2009, 05:10 PM
I love these old games like Myst/Riven, 7th Guest, Under a killing moon/Tex Murphy, Phantasmagoria, etc...lol

Oh and BTW I just found out that Cyan's office is located just outside Spokane, WA just ~20 miles from my house. sweet!

TraceyS/FL
May 3, 2009, 05:13 PM
While appleinsider has news of the new ms ad against apple and the news of the the ipod touch's gain in marketshare we get another toucharcade plug with an old game for the iphone as news...great...:rolleyes:

Way more exciting to me!

Isn't the MS ad on page 2? didn't i read people complaining about calling that "news"?

winterspan
May 3, 2009, 05:17 PM
Also, because I didn't become a big gamer as an adult, I'm not sure if it was my youth or the actual content, but it seem like many of the old games that used static images, prerendered content, and sometimes live-action video were far more immersive than today's real-time 3D games.

Think Myst and Riven, 7th guest, 11th hour, pandora directive/under a killing moon, etc.. Even those older cartoon style adventure games from Sierra were incredibly immersive in their day..

akacaj
May 3, 2009, 05:17 PM
While appleinsider has news of the new ms ad against apple and the news of the the ipod touch's gain in marketshare we get another toucharcade plug with an old game for the iphone as news...great...:rolleyes:

Either way it is an ad at least Myst brings back pleasant memories!

TraceyS/FL
May 3, 2009, 05:23 PM
Either way it is an ad at least Myst brings back pleasant memories!

Big smiles here!

Looks like if i want to play i'm going to have to do in XP. UGH. No machine left in the house running Classic.

Xavier
May 3, 2009, 05:27 PM
This is AWESOME! I always loved Myst.

icetyu
May 3, 2009, 05:33 PM
Myst is my first Mac game on my first Mac. So it is a must buy for me. I still have it on the CD ROM. All I need is Riven now.

Kilamite
May 3, 2009, 05:33 PM
Considering how long the intro is, I'm not surprised how big the game size is! Might be good for those long train journeys.

BlizzardBomb
May 3, 2009, 05:45 PM
Wait a minute. There's no onscreen cursor. On the old versions, the cursor changed when you were hovering over something clickable so you knew where to point, but now we're just expected to blindly click all over the show? Bah.

AppleNewton
May 3, 2009, 05:49 PM

maybe youre alittle too young to remember the joy it brought alot of people.
its just a great classic game.

i remember that game and I'd definitely get it actually have a few $$ left over in an itunes gift card =)

Myst, 7th Guest, Riddle of The Sphinx

Thatd be great to have Age of Empires or the likes of Caesar / Pharaoh on the iPhone

Considering how long the intro is, I'm not surprised how big the game size is! Might be good for those long train journeys.

I agree, very long intro :P

dam0dred
May 3, 2009, 06:00 PM
Meh, I'll pass. But release Riven and you've got a sale. That one was the best in the series IMO. :)

DELLsFan
May 3, 2009, 06:02 PM
Awesome. What's next? Ultima? :cool:

NiteWaves77
May 3, 2009, 06:04 PM
This is a terrible game that contributed to the destruction of the adventure genre. Good luck downloading this beast on 3G.

arkmannj
May 3, 2009, 06:05 PM
Meh, I'll pass. But release Riven and you've got a sale. That one was the best in the series IMO. :)

With the size of Myst, Riven would be like 3.0 Gig. but I'd love to see all the myst games.

geokost
May 3, 2009, 06:12 PM
Good memories and fun times.

pimentoLoaf
May 3, 2009, 06:15 PM
I recall taking over a month of figuring just to get past the island and into the other environments, and each of those took about a month, too.

Will have to remove a large number of podcasts to get this operational on my iPod Touch. Will be great, though! :cool:

knightlie
May 3, 2009, 06:19 PM
Wait a minute. There's no onscreen cursor. On the old versions, the cursor changed when you were hovering over something clickable so you knew where to point, but now we're just expected to blindly click all over the show? Bah.

Have you tried playing it instead of making up random thoughts about how it works and how much work the developers did on it? How do you know how the interface works?

But then you're obviously not interested in the game, which begs the question why keep posting about it?

inflynx
May 3, 2009, 06:20 PM
Demn them! It wants OS version 2.2.1 to run, but I am keeping 2.2 as I might want to unlock.
Not cool of them, considering 2.2.1 did not bring anything new to the SDK to justify the requirement.:mad:

Xfujinon
May 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
This is the coolest thing I have seen yet, insofar as games are concerned, for the touch platform. If they release Riven, I won't wait a second to buy it.

Think about it: all the old school games that ran on Performas, Quadras, etc. are all capable on the touch platform, and can look nearly as good, play just as well, and capture the nostalgia market. I really, really hope this is successful and Riven gets put out there. That would be super.

And, for that matter, why can't Nintendo release Super Mario Brothers for the Super Nintendo somewhere? I want to play that again without investing in legacy hardware. I'm not that much of a purist. I have an emulator for the other games, but Mario just isn't the same that way.

Anyhow, very cool to see this come out. Can't wait to see it in person.

Jeff321
May 3, 2009, 06:32 PM
Demn them! It wants OS version 2.2.1 to run, but I am keeping 2.2 as I might want to unlock.
Not cool of them, considering 2.2.1 did not bring anything new to the SDK to justify the requirement.:mad:

New apps always require the latest OS version.

infinitethrill
May 3, 2009, 06:34 PM
Wow, I had this on my old Power Mac! Still have the OEM CD too...

Installing!

Frisco
May 3, 2009, 06:42 PM

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (http://www.amazon.com/Sweat-Small-Stuff-small-stuff/dp/0786881852)

FX120
May 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
Not only is the iPhone making it possible for indies to make good money but it is also breathing life into old games. I had a 200mhz machine with 4mb of ram and 200mb HD when i played the original Myst...now the iPhone with better specs but in my pocket. Do you guys remember the "Turbo" button? I am still not exactly sure what it was for. Like why would anyone not want to run on Turbo!

The turbo button was so you could slow down your processor, in order to play games that relied on processor clock speed for timing.

If you played the game at your full clock speed, it would run faster than what was playable.

alana22
May 3, 2009, 06:48 PM

Wait is this true? I'd like to know before I buy it. Thx!

geerlingguy
May 3, 2009, 06:49 PM
LOVE Myst! Riven was kinda fun, Myst III: Exile was a no-go, Myst IV had some great music, and much of it was enjoyable, and Myst V was relatively stupid (got too religious and less interesting, esp. with 'realtime' gameplay... and the fact that it doesn't run well at all on any Intel Macs).

Now waiting for:
-7th Guest (mentioned before)
-The Dig (what a fun puzzle game!)
-Power Pete!
-Any other Pangea game.

geerlingguy
May 3, 2009, 06:50 PM
The turbo button was so you could slow down your processor, in order to play games that relied on processor clock speed for timing.

If you played the game at your full clock speed, it would run faster than what was playable.

Are you sure you don't mean 'zip mode' - where you would click in certain areas and be 'zipped' over there without having to go through 10 or so interim screens?

doobi18
Very happy to hear of this release and download it - imagine my disappointment when iTunes advised me that it needed 2.2.1 to play.
Just to explain that a bit further - my iPhone is jailbroken and heavily customised, upgrading is a serious time-commitment, not simply hitting a button. I was planning on waiting until 3.0, but maybe I will find time next weekend...:rolleyes:

//doobi18

djgamble
The original game was massive for its time. But that was 1993 when you could buy a mac classic II with an 80MB hard-drive. I believe Myst came on a CD, so it couldn't have been 797 MB.

Without some kind of compression...

I think another assumption being made is that things would be scaled down because the iPod Touch isn't powerful enough. The original Myst used a 256 colour palette and ran on 640x480 screens that used maybe 72 ppi.

I'd be interested to see if they went the other way... in the Myst days there weren't 480Ũ320 screens that handled 163 ppi and had 3:2 aspect ratio's. Just because the screen's physically, doesn't mean it's cr@p! It's widescreen, supports either millions or thousands of colours and has a decent pixel density.

Myst was originally 256 colours and made for dodgy-as oldschool 256-colour 640x480 monitors.

You also didn't see 533 MHz CPU's, GPU's (at all) or machines with 128mb RAM that weren't big fridges made by SUN that were linked together. The raw processing power of the iPod Touch gives them no reason to scale things back.

---

Have they exported the audio and images at a HIGHER quality than the original? I'd be hoping that they haven't exported the images as 256-colour images and the sound at pre-AAC/MP3 compression days where even dodgy quality files were 50MB+.

BlueRevolution
May 3, 2009, 06:59 PM
With the size of Myst, Riven would be like 3.0 Gig. but I'd love to see all the myst games.

3 gigs? The original version of Riven shipped on 5 CDs! With the space requirements of Myst, I don't think Riven would fit on the 8 GB iPod at all.

I'm sorely tempted to pick up this and SimCity 3000 for the iPod. Two of the best computer games ever made, now available on a bitty little device. Crazy.

Riven was better than Myst, though. More expansive, more story-driven, and less repetitive. Myst is all about go to Age, get page of choice, return, place in book, get caught by book, die, while Riven is more about storytelling, mystery and getting caught in Gehn's little fantasy world and meeting the man through his creations.

Theaser
May 3, 2009, 07:07 PM
Wake me up the day Crysis comes out for the iPhone. :D

Ron21
May 3, 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks Apple for bringing back 90's gaming!

Frisco
May 3, 2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks Apple for bringing back 90's gaming!

It's not Apple you should be thanking.

Ron21
May 3, 2009, 07:15 PM
It's not Apple you should be thanking.

they created the platform..

Frisco
May 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
they created the platform..

So we should thank Microsoft for every PC game that comes out :confused:

Ron21
May 3, 2009, 07:21 PM
So we should thank Microsoft for every PC game that comes out :confused:

MS only makes software.

Apple made the OS, the Hardware and also the APP Store to make this all possible.

But anyway back on topic.

Frisco
May 3, 2009, 07:24 PM
MS only makes software.

Apple made the OS, the Hardware and also the APP Store to make this all possible.

Okay fair enough. It's Sunday night after all and at least we have Myst to entertain us throughout the week :)

haravikk
May 3, 2009, 07:25 PM
Now waiting for:
The Dig was fun! My other wish would be Zork Nemesis; I recently got my old G3 PowerMac running pretty much exclusively to run it and a few other programs, and it's still an awesome game. Been trying for ages to find someone, anyone, to talk to at Activision about the source-code/assets but Activision communicates about as effectively as a damp sock in lunar orbit.

NinjaHERO
May 3, 2009, 07:34 PM

My thought exactly. Even a direct port shouldn't have been this big. They must of ramped it up quite a bit.

Ron21
May 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
I remember buying Myst and it came like on 5 cds. The game ran mostly from the Cd.

Chupa Chupa
May 3, 2009, 07:47 PM
MS only makes software.

In that case you should thank the iPhone Dev Team b/c they are the ones that forced Apple's "hand" to release the iPhone SDK and open the App Store in the first place. You will recall Apple's initial plan was only to allow web apps but with the proliferation of jail breaking Apple had no choice but to open up an App store before it lost control.

masse
May 3, 2009, 07:47 PM
I guess I'm young because I've never heard of any of these games mentioned.

Maybe I missed out on an era or something.

Either way the game doesn't look that fun if you never played the original.

Analog Kid
May 3, 2009, 07:49 PM
Wow-- it's getting harder and harder to not have an iPhone/Touch... Who would have thought that it would be retro-gaming that would drive me to finally buy the most advance music player on the market?

fuziwuzi
May 3, 2009, 07:55 PM

yeah dude, i thought the same thing. 7th guest would be awesome :D

fuziwuzi
May 3, 2009, 07:57 PM

enjoy your sleep

alana22
May 3, 2009, 08:03 PM
On my 3rd installation attempt of this game. Each time it freezes when the bar is around 80-85%. Waiting 20 minutes now and it's not moving.

Good times!

Edit: sure enough, as soon as I post the progress bar shoots to 99%

This installs slower than molasses! Slowly but surely.. ;p

Roessnakhan
May 3, 2009, 08:04 PM
Get Riven on there and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

amusiccale
May 3, 2009, 08:20 PM
I've been waiting on this one for quite a while. All I need now is for the term to end and for me to finish my grading...

jmann
May 3, 2009, 08:22 PM
oh man i loved Myst. does anyone know where i can get it for Leopard. preferably free.

on a side note does anybody remember the sequel to Myst called Riven? i didnt like it as much.

EDIT: looked around and there does not seem anywhere that one can play it online. but since the iPhone runs os x i would think that pretty soon that one will be available to download or play online.

You can download real myst (the 3d version) for the mac, but the original is only ppc. The new version for mac is gorgeous, it looks really lifelike. I highly recommend it. :)

arkmannj
May 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
3 gigs? The original version of Riven shipped on 5 CDs! With the space requirements of Myst, I don't think Riven would fit on the 8 GB iPod at all.

I'm sorely tempted to pick up this and SimCity 3000 for the iPod. Two of the best computer games ever made, now available on a bitty little device. Crazy.

Riven was better than Myst, though. More expansive, more story-driven, and less repetitive. Myst is all about go to Age, get page of choice, return, place in book, get caught by book, die, while Riven is more about storytelling, mystery and getting caught in Gehn's little fantasy world and meeting the man through his creations.

I was guessdimating 5 CD's at about 600 MB each, roughly 3GB (not worrying about exacts) but I see what you're saying. If Myst (which was on a single disk) some how came out at 1.5GB then 5 disks comes in pretty darn big.

JGowan
May 3, 2009, 08:39 PM
Glad to see the dead horse that is the original Myst is still being beaten.Kind of a clever thing to say, but I don't agree with your sentiment. I think if a game is good, keep bringing it to new devices. I wish Nintendo would bring their old SNES games to the iPhone. There's an appeal to having your old favorite with you at all times.

Side note: best game that should be brought to the iPhone is KLAX. I think it would be awesome on this platform.:D

alana22
May 3, 2009, 08:44 PM
Just gave the game a test run. Unbelievable quality!

Frisco
May 3, 2009, 08:49 PM
Kind of a clever thing to say, but I don't agree with your sentiment. I think if a game is good, keep bringing it to new devices. I wish Nintendo would bring their old SNES games to the iPhone. There's an appeal to having your old favorite with you at all times.

Side note: best game that should be brought to the iPhone is KLAX. I think it would be awesome on this platform.:D

There are many Commodore and Amiga games that I would kill for to be on the iPhone. Games back then were all about game play, unfortunately today they are all about graphics and the younger generations can't see that.

Games back in the day had to be about game play because they had nothing else to lure gamers in. Today they can lure anyone in with fancy graphics, but they stink to play.

deputy_doofy
May 3, 2009, 08:55 PM
What about Deja Vu, Uninvited and Shadowgate - I'd love to see them on an OS X screen someday. iPhone or desktop doesn't matter.

I was just thinking "Shadowgate." Great minds... :D

alana22
May 3, 2009, 09:03 PM
I was just thinking "Shadowgate." Great minds... :D

Shadowgate is my favorite NES game (Uninvited was a close 2nd.. never got to try Deja Vu)

twoodcc
May 3, 2009, 09:11 PM
seems like a nice app. that download size is crazy though!

deputy_doofy
May 3, 2009, 09:14 PM
Shadowgate is my favorite NES game (Uninvited was a close 2nd.. never got to try Deja Vu)

Deja Vu and Uninvited were also great, but Shadowgate was just the best of that genre. I wouldn't mind all 3. I'd pay for them.

McDughf
May 3, 2009, 09:39 PM

This And The 11th Hour Are My Two Favorite Adventure / Puzzle Games Of All Time, And The Only Reason I Still Keep A Dos 6 PC Lying Around :D

arkmannj
May 3, 2009, 09:59 PM
This And The 11th Hour Are My Two Favorite Adventure / Puzzle Games Of All Time, And The Only Reason I Still Keep A Dos 6 PC Lying Around :D

LoL, there's emulators that can do that, although if I could get my old 386 back just for kicks it'd be fun.

JMax1
May 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
Never played any of these games. The description and opening video for Myst kind of makes me think of "Lost" on TV....

michael.lauden
May 3, 2009, 10:41 PM
LoL, there's emulators that can do that, although if I could get my old 386 back just for kicks it'd be fun.

there is nothing like playing the actual thing man.. project 64 (especially through CrossOver) will never be as great as a N64!! i imagine the same rules apply.

calisurfboy
May 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
Wow, this opens up the possibilities ....

I was a big adventure fan and disliked the Myst games with a passion. I was on the opposite side of the fence jumping for Joy for SCUMM and games such as Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle, etc.

I would LOVE to see those real classics come out along with Sierra (R.I.P.) games such as Kings Quests, Quest for Glory, etc.

Astacide
May 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
:eek: 727MB!? I demand a re-release of the 7th Guest!

Astacide
May 3, 2009, 11:01 PM
Better yet, Space/King's Quest Series! Come on Sierra... Where are you on this one? Easy money, easy money...

nchaimov
May 3, 2009, 11:03 PM
Now waiting for:

If you're willing to jailbreak your phone, there is a port of ScummVM (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/IPhone) to the iPhone which can run The Dig, assuming you already own a copy.

s1m
May 3, 2009, 11:07 PM
There are many Commodore and Amiga games that I would kill for to be on the iPhone. Games back then were all about game play, unfortunately today they are all about graphics and the younger generations can't see that.

Games back in the day had to be about game play because they had nothing else to lure gamers in. Today they can lure anyone in with fancy graphics, but they stink to play.

I dont agree with this at all. I have played games on the Spectrum, Vic 20, C64, Atari ST, PS, Xbox360, PC and Mac between about 1982 and the present day. The graphics sure are better now than when I played Rat Race on the VIC20 but I have to say that Fable2 has kept me more entertained for longer than Rat Race...

If I pick up a game now and the game play isnt fun then I dont buy the game. I think a blanket "all modern games are rubbish" is condescending towards younger gamers, possibly ignorant of the games out there to play and steeped in mystyeyed nostalgia. There are good and bad games availble to play today.

I didnt love this when I played it originally - I think because my computer was a bit underspec'd. I will definitely grab this when I next get a connection for the iPod touch as this would be great for train journeys and waiting for mrss1m to get her hair done...

jesstech
May 3, 2009, 11:17 PM
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that a game which defined a genre due to its revolutionary immersion is now available on a platform used mainly for 5-10 minutes of distraction?

Maybe this will introduce a new generation to one of the greatest games of all time... but they may never fully appreciate it.

That said, I'm excited to see it. For those wondering, I hear Cyan went back to the original source files to export everything in maximum quality, so that helps to explain the size inconsistencies.

chrono1081
May 3, 2009, 11:33 PM
I remember wanting Myst SOOO bad but my parents didn't think a computer was necessary so I asked my friend who HAD a computer if I could buy him Myst and play it on his computer but he was paranoid about installing anything because of "viruses and hackers" (sigh, the earlier days of computing..)

So eventually I got Myst for Sega Saturn when it came out and I played that thing for HOURS and eventually beat it. It was so awesome :)

Hopefully it ages well.

Pooshka
May 3, 2009, 11:58 PM
Is it 3.0b4 compatible?

Thunder82
May 4, 2009, 12:07 AM
Is it 3.0b4 compatible?

It doesn't appear to be :( The game freezes for me at the loading screen every time. Doesn't kick me from the game, but won't load either.

AppleOrb
May 4, 2009, 12:19 AM
Riven was an amazing game. The best by far in the series of Myst. That game was sooo much fun and truly an immersive game. The images in Riven were breath-taking in it's time. It would require a lot of work to get Riven to fit on an iphone but it would be very much technically possible.

Pooshka
May 4, 2009, 12:20 AM
It doesn't appear to be :( The game freezes for me at the loading screen every time. Doesn't kick me from the game, but won't load either.
Oh well, we shall wait.

Greenbook
May 4, 2009, 01:01 AM

Why do you need to keep 2.2, when 2.2.1 can be jailbroken and unlocked. Perhaps I misunderstand what you are wanting to do though.

NiteWaves77
May 4, 2009, 01:30 AM
Apple needs to scrap the provision in the SDK prohibiting apps that run their own interpreted code or provide additional API functionality, so ScummVM and the many Commodore 64/Apple II/Amiga/Spectrum/Arcade emulators can be legally ported to the iPhone and distributed on the App Store.

Come on, Steve -- stop trying to do with the iPhone that which you failed to with the original Macintosh. A micro-managed ecosystem is one fated to wilt.

headfuzz
May 4, 2009, 01:37 AM
Excellent! Myst was one of the first times I had ever used a Mac at length and I absolutely loved the game. Pretty sure I can spare the space on my iPhone for this puppy. :cool:

GoKyu
May 4, 2009, 01:55 AM
I'm probably one of the few people who, at the time, didn't really care that much for the Myst series. I tried the first game, and got so frustrated with it, that I just stopped playing.

I was seriously into the SCUMM-based games though - Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Zak McKraken, you name it, I probably played it :)

I also had a C64 up through about '94 (and just bought one off of eBay about 4 years ago, cos I kept a bunch of my old disks), and would LOVE to see some of the classic C64 games ported over.

Since people are bringing up Sierra On-Line, how about Thexder? I would pay $10 *RIGHT NOW* to have that game on the iPhone. There's another great game called Tunnels of Armegeddon, by California Dreams that might translate well to this platform.

We can wish, can't we? :D

sgibson
May 4, 2009, 01:58 AM
Right, so when are we getting Monkey Island?

tomgerber
May 4, 2009, 02:05 AM
The Game that killed and ruined the Adventure Genre is back. Looks like in order to play REAL Adventure Games one still has to jailbreak to use ScummVM and play Monkey Island....:eek:

yoak
May 4, 2009, 02:15 AM
People have different opinions of the game.
Personally I loved it, and Riven even more. Used to wake up at night suddenly figure out how to solve a puzzle and run down fire up the computer, wait for an eternity before it was actually ready to play.
Now I can have it on my phone, itīs crazy to think about

javierbds
May 4, 2009, 02:16 AM
The Game that killed and ruined the Adventure Genre is back. Looks like in order to play REAL Adventure Games one still has to jailbreak to use ScummVM and play Monkey Island....:eek:
Amen, technically it was not the game but the stupid minds of those little humans that decided what was a cool game (Myst and Doom are great games per se). But a whole industry cloning those ad nauseum was boring to say the least ... :mad: 93-94 was the end of an era of creativity in PC games (at least in the adventure genre): the 'multimedia era' sucks.

memesmith
May 4, 2009, 02:24 AM

I love Myst AND Monkey Island. Can we not all get along? I'd love to Monkey Island II on the App Store, BTW.

headfuzz
May 4, 2009, 02:37 AM
Amen, technically it was not the game but the stupid minds of those little humans that decided what was a cool game (Myst and Doom are great games per se). But a whole industry cloning those ad nauseum was boring to say the least ... :mad: 93-94 was the end of an era of creativity in PC games (at least in the adventure genre): the 'multimedia era' sucks.

It happens across the board - look at the plethora of clones that got realeased after Streetfighter II... Body Blows? HA! :rolleyes:

headfuzz
May 4, 2009, 03:16 AM
Never played any of these games. The description and opening video for Myst kind of makes me think of "Lost" on TV....

One could actually draw certain similarities given that they're both fantasy stories, set on an unknown island with virtually no clue what is going on at the start with various clues gradually unravelling the mystery... It wouldn't surprise me if JJ Abrams and co had taken a leaf out of the Myst book (pun intended ;) )

4np
May 4, 2009, 03:46 AM
I'd rather see SCUMMVM (http://www.scummvm.org/) appear in the app store :) I had Indiana Jones, Monkey Island and Space Quest running on my jailbroken iPod Touch, would be great if you could do that without jailbreaking :) The only downside that the screen is a bit small for proper handling of the LucasArts user interface, but heck... :)

http://uarrr.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/cimg8141.jpg

Much more fun than that lousy puzzle game called Myst :) Bring on Sierra On-Line, bring on LucasArts! :)

reading the comments above I see I am not alone on this one ;)

Perhaps Al Lowe (http://www.allowe.com/) or Ken Williams (http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/blob2/blobpage.aspx/msgid/504117) have over the years become skilled in Objective C? ;)

THX1139
May 4, 2009, 03:59 AM

Uh, no. The turbo button was so that you could return to a place quickly (hence the turbo name) instead of having to click, click, click all the way back to a certain place. Myst often had clues spread all over the island. If you were on one side of the island and discovered a clue that required you to go back to the other side, turbo mode sure came in handy.

THX1139
May 4, 2009, 04:04 AM

A lot of negativity about a great game. I wonder if you have MacRumors confused with Digg?

THX1139
May 4, 2009, 04:07 AM

I had the exact opposite reaction. When Lost first came out I remember watching the first few episodes thinking it reminded me of MYST.

headfuzz
May 4, 2009, 04:11 AM
I guess I'm young because I've never heard of any of these games mentioned.

Maybe I missed out on an era or something.

Either way the game doesn't look that fun if you never played the original.

These games are from the early to mid 90s. And the truth is you'll never understand why Myst was so much fun from a 7 minute Youtube video. When it was released it was completely different to most games that had gone before; both in gameplay and graphics (with the exception of a couple). Most games at the time were sprite based, 2D affairs like Streetfighter II and Sonic The Hedgehog whereas Myst had rich, beautifully 3D rendered scenes (even though they were stills), FMV, (which at the time was a clever idea) and so on. It's an incredibly involved game that you have to apply yourself to and use your brain to make progress in.

I don't really play video games anymore but the ones I see most in the media these days all seem to be the sort where you can play a level / map / raid for 15 minutes and then go and do something else. Myst was different in that 15 minutes of exploring would be just that; exploring. You wouldn't really have achieved much except finding more clues, which may or not make sense with other you'd previously found. The more time you spent with Myst the more the cryptic clues started to slowly make sense.

It's a bit difficult to explain as I don't know if there's a current game that's similar. But it was the biggest selling game of all time until the release of The Sims 9 years later.

Elloise
May 4, 2009, 04:41 AM
I was really proud when I finished this game, it was a proper thinker and I had notes and maps strewn about my iici.

That's a lot of storage space to ask for though, and so often opinion can be fonder when it is left to nostalgia.

I'll probably give this a pop if the next gen iPhone delivers on storage.

Rankrotten
May 4, 2009, 06:02 AM
This discussion has prompted me to dig out my Myst box which has been lying in a cupboard for 15+ years. I got stumped at one point and had to open the envelope with three hints enclosed. I felt bad about it and only half opened the envelope just enough to slide out the cheat sheet. It didn't feel quite as bad as fully opening it!

The game was immersive for me on a Powerbook 180c with external Apple CD linked with a thick SCSI cable.

headfuzz
May 4, 2009, 06:28 AM
The game was immersive for me on a Powerbook 180c with external Apple CD linked with a thick SCSI cable.

Back in t' day, when this were all fields... :p

La Porta
May 4, 2009, 07:00 AM
I believe that the turbo debate is turning into two separate things. The original question was talking about the physical TURBO button in front of most PCs of the time, on the face of the tower, not the speed options in the software menus. Other than that, I have no idea what it was for either.

Myst didn't ruin anything, in my opinion. It was a game unto itself. People can argue for anything if they want: all of these killed the text-based adventures that started on the Apple IIs, for instance. I, for one, loved Myst, yet my favorite was always The Dig. Street Fighter II was up there (heck, I own the arcade machine now). Regardless, Myst pushed the AV envelope at the time, no doubt about it. I was lucky to play it on my Dad's Quadra 660AV at the time.

FortunesFool
May 4, 2009, 07:37 AM
That's pretty freaking awesome. I might wait and see if they can shrink it a bit through some optimization, but I have to say, I'm very impressed.

YES! That and Buried in Time (Journeyman Project 2). I wasted so much time on that game and Myst as a kid, can't wait to get DL it now!

themoonisdown09
May 4, 2009, 07:42 AM

I had the exact opposite reaction. When Lost first came out I remember watching the first few episodes thinking it reminded me of MYST.

Some of the people behind the television show Lost say that the show was influenced by Myst.

Gadi Pollack notes that some of "the influences of Lost came from...the game Myst."

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(TV_series)#Conception)

W1LLk
May 4, 2009, 07:42 AM
I never owned this game personally, but played it quite a bit at friends houses when I was younger.

This game used to piss me off. I was so clueless as to what I was supposed to be doing next.

Therefor, I think I will check this game out now. Especially since in my frustration I can chuck my first gen to the concrete and pick up whatever hotness comes out in June. :D :apple:

Stately
May 4, 2009, 07:57 AM
In the midst of the excitement over Myst, I can't help but have this feeling that, the new iphone is going to be able to run games like this and ones with more graphics requirements like cake. I feel like maybe this is why Sims 3 won't be out til June. I don't know, any thoughts?

headfuzz
May 4, 2009, 08:15 AM
In the midst of the excitement over Myst, I can't help but have this feeling that, the new iphone is going to be able to run games like this and ones with more graphics requirements like cake.

Cake has graphics requirements? :confused: :eek:

TalkAboutApple
May 4, 2009, 08:32 AM
So great to see all the 7th Guest fans! I had no idea.

They should do an October release for Halloween!

DaBrain
May 4, 2009, 08:37 AM

Yep! and only 16 years after it's release!--))) :rolleyes:

dXTC
May 4, 2009, 08:45 AM

These two games may never see the light of day again. The saga of Trilobyte, the creators behind The 7th Guest, is legendary.

Still, The 7th Guest would be cool as an App. The 11th Hour... eh, not so much. Both depended a whole bunch on video cutscenes to drive the plot, and the acting in 11th was either deadpan or Shatner-esque.

Still, one of the funniest cutscenes from 11th is in the kitchen. "... Chuck 'im into the SOUP!" :D

ph0rk
May 4, 2009, 08:58 AM
Riven was better than Myst, though. More expansive, more story-driven, and less repetitive. Myst is all about (spoilers)

Then you didn't get the good ending.

jlseattle
May 4, 2009, 09:10 AM
Ok, I understand that some here thinks that Myst is not as good as other action adventure games. My argument is that this game is puzzle\adventure game. This game is a puzzle game with a story line. I love mental challenges rather than shoot-em up games. If you like mental games than this game is perfect for you! :):cool:

Roessnakhan
May 4, 2009, 09:19 AM

Pft, you didn't break the glass with the telescope and get Atrus killed, did you?

yoak
May 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
Wonder how long my battery will last playing Myst, can you imagine being absorbed in the game and suddenly the phone "dies"

dXTC
May 4, 2009, 09:27 AM

Weren't there four possible "endings" for the original Myst? My wife played it several times until she got at least four different end scenarios, from what I remember.

brn2ski00
May 4, 2009, 09:41 AM

OMG YES!

Tones2
May 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
The biggest thing that this game / thread points to is that the iPhone / Touch needs a LOT more flash memory built in, and support for external storage cards. It's ashame that the iPhone probably won't approach 128 GB for 4 years or so, when it's really needed right now. I wish they would just stick a HD in these devices as an option until flash prices for 128 GB+ comes down to a reasonable level.

I still have my 160 GB Classic which I hope never breaks because it'll be a long time until I can again get that capacity in an Apple device.

Tony

caseyfw
May 4, 2009, 10:02 AM

What the hell have they done? I know the original game was made up of highly compressed 256 colour images and video, and dodgy (by today's standards) 8-bit audio. Have they gone and 'remastered' all of the images?

For me, the file size makes no sense - The DS version weighs in at under 128MB (and yes, it looks horrible).

julianewus
May 4, 2009, 10:08 AM
what exactly IS myst? im just curious, because Im thinking of purchasing the app.

niuniu
May 4, 2009, 10:11 AM
Has anyone played this yet? I'm getting sick of Mafia Wars and would love a more indepth game for the iPhone..

Never played the original MYST but would love to try it now if the gameplay works well on the iPhone.

Roessnakhan
May 4, 2009, 10:11 AM
what exactly IS myst? im just curious, because Im thinking of purchasing the app.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst :p

themoonisdown09
May 4, 2009, 10:12 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst

Edit: Roessnakhan beat me to it!

headfuzz
May 4, 2009, 10:15 AM

It's a game where you start out on a bizarre island with nobody else on it and have to wander round the island taking note of what you see and what you can interact with, and once you've figured out how they interact with other things on the island you can travel to another island (called an Age) and search for yet more clues to unravel the mystery. And different things you can interact with may affect other Ages in some fashion.

It takes some getting used to but is really addictive once you've got the hang of it.

EDIT: I resisted the urge to put the Wiki link in as it contains spoilers as to how to play the game to get the various endings :rolleyes:

squirrelist
May 4, 2009, 10:17 AM
"The turbo button was so you could slow down your processor, in order to play games that relied on processor clock speed for timing.

If you played the game at your full clock speed, it would run faster than what was playable."
Uh, no. The turbo button was so that you could return to a place quickly (hence the turbo name) instead of having to click, click, click all the way back to a certain place. Myst often had clues spread all over the island. If you were on one side of the island and discovered a clue that required you to go back to the other side, turbo mode sure came in handy.

He wasn't talking about the feature of Myst. He was talking about the hardware button the the front of computers from the early nineties era.

TraceyS/FL
May 4, 2009, 10:45 AM
What the hell have they done? I know the original game was made up of highly compressed 256 colour images and video, and dodgy (by today's standards) 8-bit audio. Have they gone and 'remastered' all of the images?

For me, the file size makes no sense - The DS version weighs in at under 128MB (and yes, it looks horrible).

There is NO WAY that they would release something for an Apple device that looked horrible. Not with Myst. I shudder at the thought! LOL!!

I have to trust they made it as small as they could - but it reaffirms for me that i need to save my pennies for the 32gb iPt too.

La Porta
May 4, 2009, 10:53 AM
I purchased it. It really is basically a duplicate of the original. It looks fantastic! You can save about 3 games, which I think is more than enough in a game that you can't die in or screw up to the point that you have to start over.

Stately
May 4, 2009, 11:17 AM
Wonder how long my battery will last playing Myst, can you imagine being absorbed in the game and suddenly the phone "dies"

Right.

Stately
May 4, 2009, 11:19 AM
The 3rd iphone will probably be able to handle all this just fine.

Stately
May 4, 2009, 11:24 AM
Cake has graphics requirements? :confused: :eek:

Haha, no I was just using a lil' slang. I meant it will run smoothly, easily, with less hassle and more improvement. (No stalling, no conking out in the middle of a game due to lack of battery life etc...)

jhande
May 4, 2009, 12:12 PM
Has anyone played this yet? I'm getting sick of Mafia Wars and would love a more indepth game for the iPhone..

Never played the original MYST but would love to try it now if the gameplay works well on the iPhone.

It installs slooooowly, but plays beautifully. The touch interface feels really natural, and the sound is excellent. With the iPhone speakers, it's kinda tinny, but with earphones it sounds fantastic.

Aaaaah, good times, Myst was..... and now is again.

asrai
May 4, 2009, 12:33 PM
Is it 3.0b4 compatible?

Works absolutely fine!!

Clive At Five
May 4, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm holding out for Escape Velocity for iPhone.

W1LLk
May 4, 2009, 12:55 PM

enjoy your sleep

That's not sleep, that's called a coma.

Furrybeagle
May 4, 2009, 12:58 PM

I *LOVED* The Journeyman Project series. I was just playing Buried in Time a few weeks ago, since I never actually finished it. That was a great series and I'm quite sad they never got around to releasing a fourth game.

BlizzardBomb
May 4, 2009, 01:00 PM
Have you tried playing it instead of making up random thoughts about how it works and how much work the developers did on it? How do you know how the interface works?

But then you're obviously not interested in the game, which begs the question why keep posting about it?

What is your problem? I'm giving my opinion as you are supposed to do on a forum. I know how the interface works because a) There's a video and b) I've played with the older versions. What more do you want?

P.S. After looking at your past posts, it looks like many of them are hostile or use the rolling eyes icon.

THX1139
May 4, 2009, 01:28 PM

I tried 7th guest waaaay back when but didn't like it as much as MYST. I didn't like how the game would taunt you while trying to solve puzzles. I also didn't like how you would get stuck in one area unless you solved a particular puzzle. At least with MYST you would still be able to keep exploring until you rounded up enough clues to move forward. With 7th guest you would be stuck in an area trying to solve the puzzle while the game laughed at you. Now that I wrote all of this, I just remembered that I hated 7th guest.

MYST was my excuse to buy my first Mac computer. I think it was a PPC 7100/66AV with a huge 17" monitor. I got that with an additional 8 MB of ram (for a total of 16mb!) and only had to pay around $6000 for everything. I fell in love with computers from that point forward and wound up changing careers to web development and design. So, you could say that MYST was the influence on my career.

Stately
May 4, 2009, 01:44 PM
I tried 7th guest waaaay back when but didn't like it as much as MYST. I didn't like how the game would taunt you while trying to solve puzzles. I also didn't like how you would get stuck in one area unless you solved a particular puzzle. At least with MYST you would still be able to keep exploring until you rounded up enough clues to move forward. With 7th guest you would be stuck in an area trying to solve the puzzle while the game laughed at you. Now that I wrote all of this, I just remembered that I hated 7th guest.

Haha, that was funny. Ya put a smile on my face with that one man. :D Yeah MYST is well thought out.

ctdonath
May 4, 2009, 02:24 PM
The biggest thing that this game / thread points to is that the iPhone / Touch needs a LOT more flash memory built in

It's a tossup.

Yeah, I keep running into limits that stem from limited memory and other design restrictions.
Flip side is that despite our desire to turn the Phone/Touch into our primary computer, it really is intended to be a tethered subordinate device.

Yeah, MYST is relatively huge. We don't need to keep every app and every song on a device intended for practically restricted use and frequent tethering. Get it, play it, finish it, move it back to the desktop for storage.

JediSkipdogg
May 4, 2009, 04:13 PM
I loved Myst and am glad to see it back again. I can't imagine what this will do to battery life though. It was always a very graphic intensive game and I can't think iPod Touch owners would get more than 5 hours of gameplay before it goes.

I also think this would take forever to install. I recentlly installed a 120 MB app a few weeks ago and it took about 20-30 minutes. This would surely take a few hours.

Gregoros
May 4, 2009, 04:22 PM
I loved Myst and am glad to see it back again. I can't imagine what this will do to battery life though. It was always a very graphic intensive game and I can't think iPod Touch owners would get more than 5 hours of gameplay before it goes.

I also think this would take forever to install. I recentlly installed a 120 MB app a few weeks ago and it took about 20-30 minutes. This would surely take a few hours.

Installing didn't take even 20 minutes..

MrPlywood
May 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
MYST was definitely not for the short attention span crowd. I would not consider it an "adventure game" per se – it was a completely different paradigm. I loved it, and RIVEN too. Like others here, I had notes (still have actually) and drawings, and looked at the games as a challenge. The immersive nature was fascinating. I remember one scene in RIVEN when a young girl ran out across my path – I was startled and jumped. And I never saw her again.

One of the beauties of the game was the amazing graphics - I'm not sure how that will translate to the small screen. I remember scouring every inch of real estate for clues, and it seems like that will be harder on a Touch or iPhone.

GeeYouEye
May 4, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yay. Now how about Armor Alley!

Rassybat
May 4, 2009, 08:08 PM
Brings back memories. :P

Personally I'd like to see Riven on the iPod instead. I wonder if that's even possible......that underwater rollercoaster animation they did in Riven was sick. :D

Rassybat
May 4, 2009, 08:15 PM

Did someone say 7th Guest??? OMG Old man Stauf and his house of toys!!!

nüb
May 5, 2009, 02:32 AM
I purchased it on my iPhone. It downloaded quickly, but is taking for BLOODY EVER to sync to iTunes. ...and my iTunes "progress" bar isn't moving. Anyone else experiencing +30 minute sync times for the game??:confused:

s1m
May 5, 2009, 02:37 AM
Downloaded whilst in the airport lounge and installing now. I think around 20 mins to download and install so far. I will be trying it on the flight this evening...

alphaod
May 5, 2009, 11:11 AM
An excellent game. I may pay for this. 757MB~mmm tasty. :p

joepunk
May 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
sweet!

I just might purchase this even though I don't have an iphone/touch.

yoak
May 6, 2009, 03:38 AM
It plays really well, I havenīt played for more than 45 minutes, but it really feels intuitive using the touch screen.
My battery bar didnīt even move (I was afraid Iīd used a lot more)
The sad thing is to discover how bad my memory is, I remember the game, the places etc, but NOT how to solve the damn puzzles. Itīs almost as starting from scratch. I have to admit I have mixed feelings about that :(

Pikemann Urge
May 6, 2009, 05:19 AM

Heh, that was the very first thing I thought about when I read "The game starts you on a strange island where you must explore your surroundings, solve puzzles and figure out the backstory."

Come on, Steve -- stop trying to do with the iPhone that which you failed to with the original Macintosh. A micro-managed ecosystem is one fated to wilt.
We've been through this a million times I think and given the what the iPhone is and what it's for, Apple has not a worry in the world. It is a mistake to force one paradigm onto another.

In fact the first Mac only had a few flaws - lack of software was the problem, not being a 'closed' system. Oh, and price.

Tonewheel
May 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely not interested in playing this on my iPhone. I would, however, buy this along with each and every sequel if they could be played on my Mac Pro/30" ACM under Leopard.

iheijoushin
May 7, 2009, 11:03 AM
Great, now I can get stuck for hours trying to find my way out of Dunny again. :mad:

I say, BRING BACK SPELUNX! That was a brilliant "game".

lloyddean
May 11, 2009, 01:14 AM
Since people are bringing up Sierra On-Line, how about Thexder? I would pay $10 *RIGHT NOW* to have that game on the iPhone.

We can wish, can't we? :D

As the original contract programmer who brought Thexder to both the Amiga and Macintosh I must admit I've been considering it.

What would you suggest as the method of game control?

Up, down, left right, shoot and shields.

niuniu
May 11, 2009, 04:56 AM
I ended up buying this after the responses here - didn't really know what I was getting myself in for.. this game is surreal to the the max..

Love finding and reading the dairies - about as much as I've done so far.. can't wait to explore more..

aiterum
May 13, 2009, 01:46 PM
i really wish I had an iphone/touch to play this on, because this would just bring back so many memories of my childhood playing this game

keith1569
May 17, 2009, 10:53 PM
oh man i used to spend hours playing this game when I was younger. i might have to make my wife download it on her iphone hah