Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
Not only is the iPhone making it possible for indies to make good money but it is also breathing life into old games. I had a 200mhz machine with 4mb of ram and 200mb HD when i played the original Myst...now the iPhone with better specs but in my pocket. Do you guys remember the "Turbo" button? I am still not exactly sure what it was for. Like why would anyone not want to run on Turbo!

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I love these old games like Myst/Riven, 7th Guest, Under a killing moon/Tex Murphy, Phantasmagoria, etc...lol

Oh and BTW I just found out that Cyan's office is located just outside Spokane, WA just ~20 miles from my house. sweet!

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Also, because I didn't become a big gamer as an adult, I'm not sure if it was my youth or the actual content, but it seem like many of the old games that used static images, prerendered content, and sometimes live-action video were far more immersive than today's real-time 3D games.

Think Myst and Riven, 7th guest, 11th hour, pandora directive/under a killing moon, etc.. Even those older cartoon style adventure games from Sierra were incredibly immersive in their day..

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
While appleinsider has news of the new ms ad against apple and the news of the the ipod touch's gain in marketshare we get another toucharcade plug with an old game for the iphone as news...great...:rolleyes:

Either way it is an ad at least Myst brings back pleasant memories!

icetyu

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Myst is my first Mac game on my first Mac. So it is a must buy for me. I still have it on the CD ROM. All I need is Riven now.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Considering how long the intro is, I'm not surprised how big the game size is! Might be good for those long train journeys.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Wait a minute. There's no onscreen cursor. On the old versions, the cursor changed when you were hovering over something clickable so you knew where to point, but now we're just expected to blindly click all over the show? Bah.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
an old game for the iphone as news...great...:rolleyes:

maybe youre alittle too young to remember the joy it brought alot of people.
its just a great classic game.

i remember that game and I'd definitely get it actually have a few $$ left over in an itunes gift card =)

Myst, 7th Guest, Riddle of The Sphinx

Thatd be great to have Age of Empires or the likes of Caesar / Pharaoh on the iPhone

Considering how long the intro is, I'm not surprised how big the game size is! Might be good for those long train journeys.

I agree, very long intro :p

dam0dred

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
Meh, I'll pass. But release Riven and you've got a sale. That one was the best in the series IMO. :)

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I recall taking over a month of figuring just to get past the island and into the other environments, and each of those took about a month, too.

Will have to remove a large number of podcasts to get this operational on my iPod Touch. Will be great, though! :cool:

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Wait a minute. There's no onscreen cursor. On the old versions, the cursor changed when you were hovering over something clickable so you knew where to point, but now we're just expected to blindly click all over the show? Bah.

Have you tried playing it instead of making up random thoughts about how it works and how much work the developers did on it? How do you know how the interface works?

But then you're obviously not interested in the game, which begs the question why keep posting about it?

inflynx

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
London
Demn them! It wants OS version 2.2.1 to run, but I am keeping 2.2 as I might want to unlock.
Not cool of them, considering 2.2.1 did not bring anything new to the SDK to justify the requirement.:mad:

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
This is the coolest thing I have seen yet, insofar as games are concerned, for the touch platform. If they release Riven, I won't wait a second to buy it.

Think about it: all the old school games that ran on Performas, Quadras, etc. are all capable on the touch platform, and can look nearly as good, play just as well, and capture the nostalgia market. I really, really hope this is successful and Riven gets put out there. That would be super.

And, for that matter, why can't Nintendo release Super Mario Brothers for the Super Nintendo somewhere? I want to play that again without investing in legacy hardware. I'm not that much of a purist. I have an emulator for the other games, but Mario just isn't the same that way.

Anyhow, very cool to see this come out. Can't wait to see it in person.

Jeff321

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Demn them! It wants OS version 2.2.1 to run, but I am keeping 2.2 as I might want to unlock.
Not cool of them, considering 2.2.1 did not bring anything new to the SDK to justify the requirement.:mad:

New apps always require the latest OS version.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Not only is the iPhone making it possible for indies to make good money but it is also breathing life into old games. I had a 200mhz machine with 4mb of ram and 200mb HD when i played the original Myst...now the iPhone with better specs but in my pocket. Do you guys remember the "Turbo" button? I am still not exactly sure what it was for. Like why would anyone not want to run on Turbo!

The turbo button was so you could slow down your processor, in order to play games that relied on processor clock speed for timing.

If you played the game at your full clock speed, it would run faster than what was playable.

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle

Wait is this true? I'd like to know before I buy it. Thx!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.