PDA

View Full Version : Ben Folds in Apple Ad

arn
Jun 28, 2002, 09:22 AM
Ben Folds (http://www.benfolds.org/news/?id=136) will be featured in an upcoming Apple Ad:

Keep an eye out for Ben’s speaking role (no music) in Apple’s new I-Book TV ad campaign.

G4scott
Jun 28, 2002, 09:36 AM
Could this possibly mean new iBooks?

DavPeanut
Jun 28, 2002, 09:39 AM
they just put out a new ibook

Tommy!
Jun 28, 2002, 09:43 AM
i hate that guy! a retarded monkey could write better lyrics! and his voice is terrible! a bad move by apple. The older crowd probably wont know who he is, and the younger crowd will just say "i hate that guy! a retarded monkey could write better lyrics! and his voice is terrible!"

That would have been a good move in like 1996 but its a little too late.

rugby
Jun 28, 2002, 09:49 AM
Who is this turkey?

How come Apple always has sissies for spokespeople? Why not have some Playboy Playmates saying how much they love to get naked for guys who own Macs? I think my idea is better than theirs.

drastik
Jun 28, 2002, 09:52 AM
Apple is definitely going full out for the cool factor now. They want people to first associate regular people with the switch, then big deal people, then make the connection that the MAc can help regular people become big deal people. THese ads are in the spirit of the 1984 ad, which I think they should run again anyway, wiht a picture of gates on the big screen.

I don't like Ben folds either. Personally I think Kurt Vonnegut would be a better choice, but no one asked me. Still, Folds is kind of a big star, even if his crap stinks. ;)

ebow
Jun 28, 2002, 09:59 AM
What, am I the only Mac nut who's also a Ben Folds (Five) fan? Besides a former flatmate... I do agree that Vonnegut would be an excellent choice, but lighten up, people. :p

jamesbhai
Jun 28, 2002, 10:03 AM
yeah, lighten up. geez, people have such venom. ooh, do this, do that, it's what i'd like, he sucks. whooboy. for mac-faithful, people will sure negatively jump at anything. it's a good move. ben folds is not the ONLY celeb they have lined up. he's one of several. do you have to like all of them????

rugby
Jun 28, 2002, 10:16 AM
My comments were sarcastic, I was just making fun of him. I'm not into his music, I don't know who he is, how is this good advertising? Why not have people who are KNOWN to everybody pimping your stuff.

That was my point.

Taft
Jun 28, 2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by rugby
My comments were sarcastic, I was just making fun of him. I'm not into his music, I don't know who he is, how is this good advertising? Why not have people who are KNOWN to everybody pimping your stuff.

That was my point.

Because not everyone who is famous is a mac fan or is willing to whore themselves to the advertising world. Its in Apple's best interest to find people who are actual Mac fans and users to hawk their products. These are the kind of people who will be most believable and who are most likely to continue the advertising push in theis personal lives.

Plus, its possible they get a price break or even a free appearance by a minor celebrity who really likes Apple.

I think its a good idea. And Ben Folds is relatively popular, especially in younger markets which are important to win. We'll have a bunch of middle-class wanna-be piano rockers asking mommy and daddy for a Mac. And while I phrased that negatively, its really a good thing for Apple.

Plus I really like Ben Folds. Fear of Pop rocked!!!!

Taft

eyelikeart
Jun 28, 2002, 10:40 AM
I don't know what u guys are talking about...Ben Folds is hella cool man! :D

I think it's really cool how Apple is branching out to the Gen X crowd (20 somethings) to gain popularity.

I say way to go...keep it up! ;)

loveshismac
Jun 28, 2002, 10:51 AM
Ben Folds Rocks
His Lyrics are smart and thought out.
Having a celebrity with that kind of creativity is a good thing.
Rather him then some over produced boy band.

Beats the Dell Dork too!
dude your getting a "piece of crap"

skippee
Jun 28, 2002, 10:52 AM
Ben Folds is exactly the type of celeb that they need advertising for them. Apple has always appealed to the "Different" crowd and Ben Folds' music fits perfectly with Apple's style. He's big in the alternative scene (real alternative music, not what MTV and Sam Goody catagorize as alternative) and I think it'll get some PC using artistic types to give Macs a second glance.

TypeR389
Jun 28, 2002, 10:58 AM
Yea, Ben rocks! I am not as big of a fan of his latest album, but I used to see him live all the time when I lived in virginia, very cool guy, and he would actually talk to people after the shows etc! LEt alone most of his albums are recorded in his house on a simple multitrack without any crazy editing. With how poor and processed SO much of modern pop music is, I think it is pathetic people are cutting on an act like him that really has bucked the music industry quite succesfully...

Lauren

kainjow
Jun 28, 2002, 01:49 PM
Woo-hoo! I love Ben Folds. I have all the Ben Folds Five albums and Ben's latest solo album. Can't wait for the next album!

ebound
Jun 28, 2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Tommy!
i hate that guy! a retarded monkey could write better lyrics! and his voice is terrible! a bad move by apple. The older crowd probably wont know who he is, and the younger crowd will just say "i hate that guy! a retarded monkey could write better lyrics! and his voice is terrible!"

That would have been a good move in like 1996 but its a little too late.

(Score: -1, Troll)

Ben Folds is a great musician. Brick has got to be one of my all-time favorite songs.

beatle888
Jun 28, 2002, 02:16 PM
and i like to think that i follow music. I know who:

Bjork
Bowie
Perry Ferrell
Peter Murphy
muzik
korn
system of a down
linkin park

who is ben?

hmmm, maybe i should check this guy out.

G4scott
Jun 28, 2002, 02:35 PM
I have no idea who Ben Folds is...

beatle888
Jun 28, 2002, 02:35 PM
well, a little too teenybopper for me but maybe thats just
what apple needs. I really hope BOWIE does a commercial.
He loves APPLE, he made a list of 700 songs that he would
put on an iPOD if he had one! Hows that for longing for
a product? I wouldnt make a list of 700 anything.

By the way, Bowie recieved his much anticipated iPOD for
christmas last year, a gift from his wife.

hehe

welborn
Jun 28, 2002, 03:20 PM
That's a great story -- definitely ad material.

I'm also a minor fan of Ben Folds. Apple should get a lot of different kinds of people to do the ads -- users like Rush Limbaugh (as objectionable as he is, he's recognizable), or George Lucas ... whether you like what they do, the point is that they can do whatever that is on a Mac.

a_kim
Jun 28, 2002, 03:56 PM
Here's who I'd like to see promote the mac that I know use it:

Tony Hawk
Thom Yorke (or all of Radiohead.... good luck with that)
Shaq (at least the ipod)
David Bowie
Trent Reznor

Anyone else care to add to the list?

In the meantime, I will do my best to become famous so I can promote the mac.

-Alex

tpavell
Jun 28, 2002, 04:21 PM
I'm sure Moby's for sale.

sparkleytone
Jun 28, 2002, 05:39 PM
ben folds rocks. he is probably one of the best artists to come out of the east coast in a long time. for all those that dont like him, ben folds requires the intelligence to understand his lyrics/audience in conjunction with the humility to laugh at ones self.

Skandranon
Jun 28, 2002, 06:45 PM
Ben Folds rocks, fellas. Sorry you're missing out.

alex_ant
Jun 28, 2002, 07:29 PM
I don't personally like Ben Folds' music at all, but from what I hear, he's alright. I don't know if he's the type I'd want to hawk Macs, though. I was hoping Apple would be getting some cooler celebrities in on this, like:

- The iBook, with Mr. T (I'm sure they could work "I pity the fool" into it somehow)

- The iPod, with Brando, listening to INXS or something ("I need you tonight... there's something about you, girl... that makes me sweat")

- The iMac, with Abe Vigoda (Just have him stand next to it for 30 seconds, saying nothing, glaring directly into the camera, with absolutely nothing happening in the commercial, and I think that would be the most hilarious 30 seconds ever)

- The Power Mac, with the Crocodile Hunter ("WWWWOW! Looka the SIZE a THAT ONE!! Isn't SHE a BEAUTY!!")

- The PowerBook, with Carrot Top.

sparkleytone
Jun 28, 2002, 08:01 PM
no one, i mean NO ONE is cooler than ben folds. well maybe lenny kravitz, but that's it. listen to Underground or Narcolepsy. He has such a great sense of humor.

Nipsy
Jun 28, 2002, 08:11 PM
Why not have some Playboy Playmates saying how much they love to get naked for guys who own Macs?

Macs already have enough silicon.

alex_ant
Jun 28, 2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
Macs already have enough silicon.
That would've been a good one, except the stuff in breast implants is silicone, and silicone hasn't been used in breast implants in a decade. They're all saline now. I don't know how I knew that. B+ for effort, though. :)

alex_ant
Jun 28, 2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
no one, i mean NO ONE is cooler than ben folds. well maybe lenny kravitz, but that's it. listen to Underground or Narcolepsy. He has such a great sense of humor.
Lenny Kravitz what you get when you take Jimi Hendrix and subtract the technical guitar skills and musical ability. He needs to get out of the '70s and stop wearing ****ing sunglasses indoors.

sparkleytone
Jun 28, 2002, 09:47 PM
let love rule.

alex_ant
Jun 28, 2002, 09:48 PM
OK :)

8thDegreeSavage
Jun 29, 2002, 12:26 AM
Sweet Jesus you guys all forgot about..Richard D James(Aphex Twin) who has been a hardcore Mac user forever...that would be sweet if he was featured....his tunes rule.:D

dongmin
Jun 29, 2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by alex_ant

- The Power Mac, with the Crocodile Hunter ("WWWWOW! Looka the SIZE a THAT ONE!! Isn't SHE a BEAUTY!!")

- The PowerBook, with Carrot Top.

I hope you're kidding. The crocodile hunter and carrot top are on my top ten most annoying people on TV.

But definitely Shaq, not that he'd bother...

firewire2001
Jun 29, 2002, 12:44 AM
I have no idea who Ben Folds is...

same here.. i dont think apple going with music celebrities is such a great idea -- people are usually fairly passionate with their music.. i think it would be a better idea for apple to go for actors -- not many people hate certain actors.. cept if the actor is totally directed to a certain croud (like Leonardo Dicaprio, or whatever..)...

course maybe the biggest stars dont even use macs, unfortunately..

beatle888
Jun 29, 2002, 03:28 AM
all the creatives in LA and other locations use Macs.

Well all I gotta say after posting my opinions as to
how the MacRumors community are so negative and
closedminded (Posted in the No G5 till 2003 rumor)
I must say that everyone here is talking about THIS RUMOR
and in a brotherly manor instead of the juvinile Nuhuh thats
not how it is type attitude.

Really, very enjoyable responses from everyone. Take a Bow.

@;0)

redAPPLE
Jun 29, 2002, 04:47 AM
I guess we will have to see it this way...

Ben Folds or Bakkstreet Bois :( ??

zon7
Jun 29, 2002, 06:43 AM
I am the only one who thinks that Ben Folds is saying something that Apple don't want to let us know?
Apple never tell anything about their ad's.
Soon the notice would be cleared

Tommy!
Jun 29, 2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by ebound

(Score: -1, Troll)

That makes about as much sense as ben folds' lyrics. Please explain.

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Tommy!

That makes about as much sense as ben folds' lyrics. Please explain.

Its based on slashcode, or slashdot's mod system. -1 to 5, but its not called troll its called flamebait.

Ibjr
Jun 29, 2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by arn
Ben Folds (http://www.benfolds.org/news/?id=136) will be featured in an upcoming Apple Ad:

Keep an eye out for Ben’s speaking role (no music) in Apple’s new I-Book TV ad campaign.

Looks convincing with the rumor of the low power G4.

j763
Jun 29, 2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant

ROTFLMAO!!! That's great! :D

lordsinforge
Jul 1, 2002, 11:17 AM
Personally I think that Apple should have Tom Clancy do a spot. He has used macs to write all his books. Add to that having a book he wrote being one of the biggest movie blockbusters of the summer, plus all the other "Jack Ryan" books/movies

And isn't Harrison Ford a mac user?

hmm....

"There is a clear and present danger to the National Security of the United States...

and it's called Microsoft...":)

gropo
Jul 1, 2002, 12:28 PM
- The iMac, with Abe Vigoda (Just have him stand next to it for 30 seconds, saying nothing, glaring directly into the camera, with absolutely nothing happening in the commercial, and I think that would be the most hilarious 30 seconds ever)haaaa... priceless! I agree, that would knock all the 'switch' critics on thier asses ;)

Super Johnson
Jul 1, 2002, 05:29 PM
Not to begin a heated discussion, but so far no "Minorities" have been used to make the Apple commercials. That's kinda sad, sometimes Apple makes me think they do discriminate. Oh well, back to the closet until we all become minorities! Praying for that day!

3rdpath
Jul 1, 2002, 05:48 PM
i think ben's a good choice.

i personally am not a big fan of his music but he is creative and does his own thing. liza richardson is another good choice...been a big fan of hers since she had a show on kera in dallas.

i agree, tony hawk would be good...he does have a cinema display though i don't know which PM he uses.

lenny kravitz...please no...he's this decades steve miller...all hook, no filling!:)

bowie would be great-and he'd do it...probably cost too much...he's one shrewd businessman.

what apple needs are some sports superstars...

tiger woods keeping score on a tibook

etc....

Jefe
Oct 1, 2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by a_kim
Here's who I'd like to see promote the mac that I know use it:

Tony Hawk
Thom Yorke (or all of Radiohead.... good luck with that)
Shaq (at least the ipod)
David Bowie
Trent Reznor

Anyone else care to add to the list?

In the meantime, I will do my best to become famous so I can promote the mac.

-Alex

Well you got one wish:
http://www.birdhouseskateboards.com/news.html

iwantanewmac
Oct 1, 2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ebow
What, am I the only Mac nut who's also a Ben Folds (Five) fan? Besides a former flatmate... I do agree that Vonnegut would be an excellent choice, but lighten up, people. :p
I like it too :)
And he can play well so he got my vote.
People who say he is a retarded mokey or something:

a: dont play an instument or write music thenselves or (hobyists dont count)
b: should take some lessons. orrrrr
c: just shut up

iwantanewmac
Oct 1, 2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by j763

ROTFLMAO!!! That's great! :D

LOL! I was thinking of that 1 too! hahaha
really great.
Still hoping that 1 time on a live show some croc bites his damn ass/head off!

Nov 25, 2002, 09:21 PM
Ben Folds is an amazing lyricist and musician, but everyone has their own preference.

Think what you will of his music, he is definitely a Mac user. A few friends were at a show in Baltimore a few weeks ago where he popped his Mac open right on stage.

MacCoaster
Nov 25, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i agree, tony hawk would be good...he does have a cinema display though i don't know which PM he uses.
Appears that he definitely uses a PowerBook G4.

Apple - Switch - Ads - Tony Hawk (http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/tonyhawk.html) [apple.com] and Apple - Switch - Real Stories - Tony Hawk (http://www.apple.com/switch/stories/tonyhawk.html) [apple.com].

vniow
Nov 25, 2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by 111770
Ben Folds is an amazing lyricist and musician, but everyone has their own preference.

Think what you will of his music, he is definitely a Mac user. A few friends were at a show in Baltimore a few weeks ago where he popped his Mac open right on stage.

Don't you just love it when newbies bring back threads that are almost two months old?http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/rolleyes.gifhttp://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/rolleyes.gifhttp://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/rolleyes.gif

Kid Red
Nov 25, 2002, 10:23 PM

That was my point.

Because you don't know means he's not known? HAHA what classic ignorance. I don't like him but I know him and his music and there are thousands more who do as well. Remember, these ads are for the masses, not what 1 or 2 people and the couple of bands they know.

rainman::|:|
Nov 25, 2002, 10:47 PM
Stephen King uses macs, too... powerbooks, traditionally... i don't know if Vonnegut uses Macs, but he would be the *best* spokesman... i'd love to see it...

pnw

Tyler Durden
Nov 25, 2002, 11:51 PM
I think for the ad, they should have Ben Folds talking about how he bought a pc once. He took it home, gave it a shot, and took it back singing.. "Give me my money back, give me my money back, you bitch."

For all that don't know the band, this is a famous lyric from "Song from the Dumped."

I like tony hawk, and kelly slater is great as well.
I think they really need to go after a famous film director. Like David Fincher? Or perhaps the Coen Brothers.

TheInevitable
Dec 17, 2002, 02:38 PM
Too bad George Lucas isn't a Mac user. I think he'd be great. I think he has some kind of deal with HP. Then again, that could be a good basis for a switch ad.

Blackhawk
Dec 17, 2002, 03:19 PM
I'm not surer who Ben Folds is either, but i guess it doesn't really matter, he is reconized by some and not by others, just as long as he gets the message across is what's important. And just FYI, Lucas Industries does use PowerMacs.