PDA

View Full Version : Email 'n Walk: Keeping an Eye on What's in Front of You

MacRumors
May 15, 2009, 01:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/15/email-n-walk-keeping-an-eye-on-whats-in-front-of-you/)

CNET highlights (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10241422-233.html) Email 'n Walk [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313095174&mt=8), Free for a Limited Time], a new application that utilizes the iPhone's camera and a transparent window to allow users to compose e-mails while keeping an eye on what's going on front of them.

The idea is simple: start up Email 'n Walk, type in your subject, and start typing a message. While you write, Email 'n Walk uses your iPhone camera to show you what's in front of you so you don't run into anyone. I took it for a test run outside our offices here in San Francisco and even though it felt a little silly, the app works as advertised. When you're done, hit send and you'll be transferred to the iPhone mail app to add recipients and send your e-mail.

As the application's developers note, users should obviously observe caution while using the application and remain aware of what is going on around them at all times. While the application could certainly be of some use while stationary or possibly walking, attempting to use the application while biking or driving, for example, would be incredibly unwise, needless to say.

Article Link: Email 'n Walk: Keeping an Eye on What's in Front of You (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/05/15/email-n-walk-keeping-an-eye-on-whats-in-front-of-you/)

allmIne
May 15, 2009, 01:27 PM
Lol, whatever next!?! At first I thought 'how would seeing the ground I'm walking on help me?' Then I realised you'd need to hold it in front of you...

Slow day for me.

NinjaHERO
May 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
Although this would take away the fun of bumping into people, it's a pretty good idea. Gotta love it when people try and find solutions to problems. Even silly ones like walking and emailing. :D

esquire360
May 15, 2009, 01:36 PM
use the camera & an app at the same time?

Rootman
May 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
This is great. I notice while I'm driving I have to keep looking up and that makes me misspell sometimes.

Darkroom
May 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
clever idea!

anjinha
May 15, 2009, 01:40 PM
Now they have to make a similar app for SMS. :D

nick9191
May 15, 2009, 01:43 PM
Who holds their phone vertically in front of them whilst emailing people?

NinjaHERO
May 15, 2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, lets see how long it takes for Apple to shut this one down.

This is great. I notice while I'm driving I have to keep looking up and that makes me misspell sometimes.
LMAO

Now that I can see thru it, I do.;)

leandromp
May 15, 2009, 01:46 PM
Nice app. I really like it!, and is free!! How great is that?

DipDog3
May 15, 2009, 01:46 PM
Are you seriously so busy that you don't have a second to stop and write your e-mail?

dukebound85
May 15, 2009, 01:49 PM

well i for one like when people think outside the box and try and solve problems that they have ran into

kudos to the developers

iphones4evry1
May 15, 2009, 01:57 PM
This may be brand new, and in it's current form, lacking severely, BUT with much improvement, I could see this as a HUGE benefit to society in the future.

Unspoken Demise
May 15, 2009, 01:58 PM
Wow. This is really clever. I wish I had thought of it. :o

Morris Cody
May 15, 2009, 02:00 PM
Do this for SMS, and you've got a paying customer here.

fishkorp

You can use the camera in your app. You just can't silently take pictures without prompting the user if they want to keep it or delete it. This app follows all the rules, unless it's randomly taking pictures without letting the user know.

notsofatjames

as opposed to holding it horizontally or upside down? I think its a great idea, just couldnt see myself using it. I've taught myself to touch type and can now type without looking. Quick read through at the end to check for mistakes and send!

fishkorp
May 15, 2009, 02:01 PM

You can't send text to the SMS app like you can the Email app. With email you use the mailto: link and it will send the text/address and populate an email message. There's no URL for creating an SMS.

rdowns
May 15, 2009, 02:03 PM
How long until we hear about someone run over by a bus while using this? :rolleyes:

JW008
May 15, 2009, 02:05 PM
Downloading right now, but part of me wishes they were initially charging for this. I want to show my support for developers who actually are identifying problems (albeit small in this case) and coming up with solutions. I'm not as impressed with the actual app as I am with the fact that someone took the time to think through things. (unlike 90% of the apps on the App Store)

MacFly123
May 15, 2009, 02:17 PM
They should have used the transparent keyboard!

JCastro
May 15, 2009, 02:21 PM
Downloading now. I will give it a try. It is a great idea. I just hope people really don't try this too much while driving. :eek: It may seem like it might work out ok, but I don't think it is such a good idea. Walking is ok though.

Santa Rosa
May 15, 2009, 02:31 PM
Its a really innovative app and quite a smart idea. How much use its got I don't know but I would think that using that app must eat battery!!

dukebound85
May 15, 2009, 02:39 PM
I've taught myself to touch type and can now type without looking.

haha for real??

Unspoken Demise
May 15, 2009, 02:43 PM
Its a really innovative app and quite a smart idea. How much use its got I don't know but I would think that using that app must eat battery!!

Yep, like a fat kid eats cake I bet. But in all seriousness, its a good step forward for app development.

bretm
May 15, 2009, 02:45 PM
Are you seriously so busy that you don't have a second to stop and write your e-mail?

I'm not. But my dog is.

How long until we hear about someone run over by a bus while using this? :rolleyes:

How long til we hear about someone running their car into a bus while using this?

Unspoken Demise
May 15, 2009, 02:50 PM
How long til we hear about someone running their car into a bus while using this?

Well, its 3:49pm EST here, so I'm going to say by 8pm EST. Gotta give the unsafe drivers at least a few hours to download the app and become over confident in the app's abilities.

bytethese
May 15, 2009, 03:26 PM

You must not live in NYC...

Rhalliwell1
May 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
Brilliant idea, just need one for SMS too and i would use it all the time!

nagromme
May 15, 2009, 04:28 PM
Peripheral vision and seeing over the top of your device already gives you a MUCH better look ahead than a 2D grainy background image. This app is pure humor in my book.

And as humor, I strongly approve of it :)

SpitzerCR
May 15, 2009, 04:56 PM

:confused: Where do you live and what hours do you drive???:D

iMacoo7
May 15, 2009, 05:00 PM
I really like this application. I have walked my dogs and not had to really worry about missing that blind spot that can be sometimes over looked when out and about

JCastro
May 15, 2009, 06:14 PM
Downloaded it and tried it out a little. It is actually pretty smooth. It is a little of a novelty but it works quite well. It would be cooler if the keyboard was opaque too. Maybe just a little shading for the buttons. Over all they put out a cool app. I just wouldn't try driving (at all) or walking on a busy street with it. ;)

anjinha
May 15, 2009, 06:46 PM
Downloaded it and tried it out a little. It is actually pretty smooth. It is a little of a novelty but it works quite well. It would be cooler if the keyboard was opaque too. Maybe just a little shading for the buttons. Over all they put out a cool app. I just wouldn't try driving (at all) or walking on a busy street with it. ;)

The keyboard is opaque... :confused:

kas23
May 15, 2009, 07:32 PM
Cool! This will be perfect for driving!

SpitzerCR
May 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
this already available???

LimeiBook86
May 15, 2009, 09:37 PM
This is fun to use, especially since it's a free download. Seems to work pretty well. I like it! :D

rekhyt
May 15, 2009, 09:46 PM
Lol... That's awesome!!!

iPhoneNYC
May 15, 2009, 10:59 PM
I think this sounds fun and useful. And it will be one of those apps I try for a time and forget about.

macduke
May 15, 2009, 11:57 PM
Why doesn't it work in the dark?? I keep bumping into things! What a HUGE oversight on the part of the developer...

Vandam500
May 16, 2009, 12:10 AM
Why doesn't it work in the dark?? I keep bumping into things! What a HUGE oversight on the part of the developer...

In the dark? Are you kidding... the iPhone does not have light/flash...how would it work in the dark, wow.

iSlicer
May 16, 2009, 12:12 AM

Who holds their iphone horizontally in front of them whilst emailing people?

I hold mine at approximately 35 degrees. Now, that may be no where near the average, but I would hazard a guess that most don't break their back while standing to hold it horizontally.

Good try though. ;)

macduke
May 16, 2009, 12:40 AM
In the dark? Are you kidding... the iPhone does not have light/flash...how would it work in the dark, wow.

Wow? More like wow, someone doesn't have any sense of humor? :rolleyes:

You know what though? Its even more sad that you would think that someone on this forum was really that dumb. I don't blame you. This place has really gone downhill over the past couple years. Perhaps I should make my sarcasm more apparent? But then that essentially defeats the purpose. Bleh!

Becordial
May 16, 2009, 06:58 AM
Seems like an interesting idea. I tried to d/l it but it's not free at all though here.

DontAskMeWhy
May 16, 2009, 07:09 AM
Is it illegal to use your cell phone while driving in the United States?

Shasterball
May 16, 2009, 07:20 AM

Ya, I SMS when I walk way more then I email when I walk...

mickbab
May 16, 2009, 07:36 AM
thought this would be a fun thing to try out, but both iPhone and iTunes give me THIS!!!

whats going on? other apps work (just dowloaded ping pong as a test run)

z062007
May 16, 2009, 07:52 AM
apparently it won't download for me. it will either tell me i don't have enough money to buy it or it will give me this error message. plus it change from free to $0.99 randomly.

apple please fix this cuz i want it for free.

kajitox
May 16, 2009, 08:21 AM
This app is pretty hilarious. I only used it last night at dusk, needless to say I almost fell down some stairs.

Is it illegal to use your cell phone while driving in the United States?

some states

johnnyjibbs
May 16, 2009, 08:32 AM
While the application could certainly be of some use while stationary or possibly walking, attempting to use the application while biking or driving, for example, would be incredibly unwise, needless to say.
Not to mention illegal!

Good idea though, but is there really not enough time in the day that you can't stop for a second to send an email?! ;)

Still, I wonder how they managed to pull this off with the SDK, I'm sure it doesn't allow you to use the camera's input as a view, except when using the special photo view controllers...

z062007
May 16, 2009, 09:02 AM
Still, I wonder how they managed to pull this off with the SDK, I'm sure it doesn't allow you to use the camera's input as a view, except when using the special photo view controllers...

and for this the app will now be pulled my apple for some stupid reason.

anyone have any luck downloading the app yet?

jdylan
May 16, 2009, 10:38 AM
Come on, we rely on evolution to weed out the idiots who walk & text, drive & text, etc by killing them off! This app would interfer with that process! I hope Apple doesn't allow it, this is the last thing these people need; something that would allow them to survive despite being total idiots, and reckless as well.

bobbleheadbob
May 16, 2009, 10:43 AM
Just went to try it out it's now .99 cents, not free anymore. :(

scirica
May 16, 2009, 01:29 PM

Exactly...this is just stupid :confused:

crisss1205
May 16, 2009, 02:45 PM
haha for real??
I do it all the time,
"... just type away and trust the intelligence of the keyboard ..." -iPhone Guided Tour Guy

I got used to if after 2 years and know where the keys are from the proximity from the side of the phone.

crisss1205
May 16, 2009, 02:51 PM
Not to mention illegal!

Good idea though, but is there really not enough time in the day that you can't stop for a second to send an email?! ;)

It's not illegal all over the world at least here in some parts of New York it it not.

MBuco12
May 16, 2009, 04:51 PM
i guess this solves the texting while driving problem too ;)

.....dont even try it

notsofatjames
May 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
haha for real??

I do it all the time,
"... just type away and trust the intelligence of the keyboard ..." -iPhone Guided Tour Guy

I got used to if after 2 years and know where the keys are from the proximity from the side of the phone.

Yeah for real. If you can teach yourself to touch type on a physical keyboard, why not this one? It's not like the keys move in relation to each other at all.
Had iPhone since day one, and the keyboard's always been there, as reliable as can be! I cant for the life of me use the horizontal one though. My thumbs aren't trained that way yet.

retroneo
May 16, 2009, 08:03 PM
Every app should have this mode :-)

Great if you're watching TV and waiting for the advertisements to finish. Great if you're in a lecture.... Possibilities are endless.

poolish
May 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah for real. If you can teach yourself to touch type on a physical keyboard, why not this one? It's not like the keys move in relation to each other at all.
Had iPhone since day one, and the keyboard's always been there, as reliable as can be! I cant for the life of me use the horizontal one though. My thumbs aren't trained that way yet.

i hate the horizontal keyboard! normal mode is ideal tho

poolish
May 16, 2009, 08:09 PM
and for this the app will now be pulled my apple for some stupid reason.

anyone have any luck downloading the app yet?

i got it for free, and i dont think i would ever use it, the keyboard isnt see through so theres only a tiny bit which is actually see thru at the top. and u are concentrating on the words not looking at the picture. i dont get it

SpitzerCR
May 16, 2009, 08:56 PM
i dont get texting while driving but people do it...? lol

absecom
May 17, 2009, 01:15 AM
I'll give it a try out. I walk into stuff all the time anyway. Might help.

lakaiordie
May 17, 2009, 09:54 AM
using your peripheral vision works too!

jk000
May 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
amazing, such a good idea. apple should definitely consider doing this as standard. they'll know how to make it work. i bet they've already considered it though. i'd love to be a fly on the wall.

...at apple.

twoodcc
May 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
this does seem interesting, and useful really. but it's not free anymore :(

SFStateStudent
May 18, 2009, 12:42 AM
It's worth it only if it's free. One of the worst apps on the market; it's useless and dangerous....:rolleyes:

JCastro
May 18, 2009, 05:47 AM
Come on...Its a novelty! :rolleyes:

It should never be used while driving and should be used carefully while walking. Other than that it is just something cool to show your friends. You know...Can your phone do this? :D

smileyborg
May 18, 2009, 10:40 PM
well i for one like when people think outside the box and try and solve problems that they have ran into

kudos to the developers

LOL, "problems that they have ran into" ...not anymore!!

kajitox
May 19, 2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah this does not work so well at night - the depth perception is pretty much nil. But during the day it's alright (I wouldn't use it as a substitute for eyes)...the best use is to show your friends. Most people get a kick out of it.

manhattanboy
May 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
It's worth it only if it's free. One of the worst apps on the market; it's useless and dangerous....:rolleyes:

I agree.
I will not try this thing for 99 cents.

wolfshades
May 19, 2009, 03:03 PM
....and I'm anything BUT normal.

I'm one of those pinheads who just can't leave the email app alone while walking along the street and...yeah, I've almost stomped all over people because I haven't paid attention.

Darwin can rest easy: with this app in place I won't be joining him anytime soon.

japanime
May 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
Until you've been to Japan, you don't know how bad the whole "emailing and walking" phenomenon has become.

On any given street in Tokyo, there are literally dozens of idiots who have their eyes glued to their cell phones as they walk or bike down the sidewalks, with absolutely no regard to what is in front of or around them.

Even worse are the morons who are staring at their phone displays as they walk up or down the jam-packed, very steep stairways in the train stations.

This sort of behavior endangers not only the phone user, but everyone around him or her.

I've been known to "accidentally" bump against several of these clowns, knocking their precious phones out of their hands and onto the hard concrete at the bottom of the stairs. Just doing my small part to clean up the streets. :p

Seriously, this has become a public health issue in major Japanese cities. Public officials have even begun suggesting that such behavior should be prohibited by law. It's become that bad.

Jaytix9
May 19, 2009, 04:16 PM
:( missed it when it was free

rexanator
May 20, 2009, 11:44 AM
I heard the company has already detailed some upcoming changes for this with the next release: works while you are driving!!!

pab1953
May 23, 2009, 08:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I notice that when I'm driving a bus - my job - I crash often. Still, great app.

SpitzerCR
May 23, 2009, 11:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I notice that when I'm driving a bus - my job - I crash often. Still, great app.

Hey where can i get on your bus?? lol

jambobowron
May 29, 2009, 05:12 AM

or walked into (of course)