Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z062007

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Detroit, Michigan
Still, I wonder how they managed to pull this off with the SDK, I'm sure it doesn't allow you to use the camera's input as a view, except when using the special photo view controllers...

and for this the app will now be pulled my apple for some stupid reason.

anyone have any luck downloading the app yet?

jdylan

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
This app would interfer with Evolution!

Come on, we rely on evolution to weed out the idiots who walk & text, drive & text, etc by killing them off! This app would interfer with that process! I hope Apple doesn't allow it, this is the last thing these people need; something that would allow them to survive despite being total idiots, and reckless as well.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
haha for real??
I do it all the time,
"... just type away and trust the intelligence of the keyboard ..." -iPhone Guided Tour Guy

I got used to if after 2 years and know where the keys are from the proximity from the side of the phone.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Not to mention illegal!

Good idea though, but is there really not enough time in the day that you can't stop for a second to send an email?! ;)

Still, I wonder how they managed to pull this off with the SDK, I'm sure it doesn't allow you to use the camera's input as a view, except when using the special photo view controllers...
It's not illegal all over the world at least here in some parts of New York it it not.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
haha for real??

I do it all the time,
"... just type away and trust the intelligence of the keyboard ..." -iPhone Guided Tour Guy

I got used to if after 2 years and know where the keys are from the proximity from the side of the phone.

Yeah for real. If you can teach yourself to touch type on a physical keyboard, why not this one? It's not like the keys move in relation to each other at all.
Had iPhone since day one, and the keyboard's always been there, as reliable as can be! I cant for the life of me use the horizontal one though. My thumbs aren't trained that way yet.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Every app should have this mode :)

Great if you're watching TV and waiting for the advertisements to finish. Great if you're in a lecture.... Possibilities are endless.

poolish

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
south coast, uk
Yeah for real. If you can teach yourself to touch type on a physical keyboard, why not this one? It's not like the keys move in relation to each other at all.
Had iPhone since day one, and the keyboard's always been there, as reliable as can be! I cant for the life of me use the horizontal one though. My thumbs aren't trained that way yet.

i hate the horizontal keyboard! normal mode is ideal tho

poolish

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
south coast, uk
and for this the app will now be pulled my apple for some stupid reason.

anyone have any luck downloading the app yet?

i got it for free, and i dont think i would ever use it, the keyboard isnt see through so theres only a tiny bit which is actually see thru at the top. and u are concentrating on the words not looking at the picture. i dont get it

absecom

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Sounds pretty cool

I'll give it a try out. I walk into stuff all the time anyway. Might help.

jk000

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
UK
amazing, such a good idea. apple should definitely consider doing this as standard. they'll know how to make it work. i bet they've already considered it though. i'd love to be a fly on the wall.

...at apple.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Come on...Its a novelty! :rolleyes:

It should never be used while driving and should be used carefully while walking. Other than that it is just something cool to show your friends. You know...Can your phone do this? :D

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Yeah this does not work so well at night - the depth perception is pretty much nil. But during the day it's alright (I wouldn't use it as a substitute for eyes)...the best use is to show your friends. Most people get a kick out of it.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Normal people don't need this

....and I'm anything BUT normal.

I'm one of those pinheads who just can't leave the email app alone while walking along the street and...yeah, I've almost stomped all over people because I haven't paid attention.

Darwin can rest easy: with this app in place I won't be joining him anytime soon.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Until you've been to Japan, you don't know how bad the whole "emailing and walking" phenomenon has become.

On any given street in Tokyo, there are literally dozens of idiots who have their eyes glued to their cell phones as they walk or bike down the sidewalks, with absolutely no regard to what is in front of or around them.

Even worse are the morons who are staring at their phone displays as they walk up or down the jam-packed, very steep stairways in the train stations.

This sort of behavior endangers not only the phone user, but everyone around him or her.

I've been known to "accidentally" bump against several of these clowns, knocking their precious phones out of their hands and onto the hard concrete at the bottom of the stairs. Just doing my small part to clean up the streets. :p

Seriously, this has become a public health issue in major Japanese cities. Public officials have even begun suggesting that such behavior should be prohibited by law. It's become that bad.

rexanator

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Next release

I heard the company has already detailed some upcoming changes for this with the next release: works while you are driving!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.