PDA

View Full Version : Help! Internet will work on OSX, but not OS9?

wylie
May 20, 2004, 06:13 PM
hi

first of all this problem has been bugging me since ive owned my powermac G4

So ive got an internet connection running from broadband, into a router, connecting to my computer

Ive got the internet working fine on OSX, but i havnt a clue how to configure it on OS9

any help would be MUCH appreciated

im sure theres someone here that knows?

Thanks for your time

JOD8FY
May 20, 2004, 08:37 PM
I have never used OS 9 so I have no idea on how you would configure it. However, if your router came with software, try installing it on OS 9. Also, check your brower settings. I hope this has some truth to it...

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

Godfather
May 20, 2004, 08:48 PM
I know my OS9, and I knew it was a **** to setup in OS9, broadband that is. But what kind of broadband you use? (A)DSL? I had to install something called a VPN Tunnelbuilder for ADSL, I don't know what people should do when on cable in OS9.

flyfish29
May 20, 2004, 09:24 PM
hi

So ive got an internet connection running from broadband, into a router, connecting to my computer

Ive got the internet working fine on OSX, but i havnt a clue how to configure it on OS9

Thanks for your time

what kind of broadband would help...I know Verizon DSL won't work with OS9! Requires OSX. Is there a reason you want it to work with os9? Let us know why and we might be able to help you figure out a way to get rid of using OS9 and stay in OSX.

Johnny

MisterMe
May 20, 2004, 09:50 PM
hi

Thanks for your timeOn computers that don't boot into MacOS 9, Classic appears to inherit its Internet connection protocol from MacOS X 10.x. The TCP/IP control panel is not included. If your router uses DHCP, then you should have no problem. In fact, I find that it is easier to connect to the Internet with MacOS 9 than with MacOS X 10.x. A major problem is that not every router is a Linksys.

You might try this: Find a copy of the TCP/IP control panel from a bootable installation of the same version of MacOS 9 as your copy of Classic. Install it. Configure it properly.

phonemonkey
May 20, 2004, 10:41 PM
if you are in os 9,
go to the apple menu -> control panel -> tcp/ip -> set connect via to ethernet and configure to dhcp
exit out and save.
should work.

phonemonkey
May 20, 2004, 10:41 PM
that answer assumes the router is what you are going through.

Sparky's
May 21, 2004, 09:32 PM
I have RoadRunner (basic broadband huh!) I use OS 10.2.8 with Safari, OmniWeb, Camino, and FireFox. When I boot into OS 9 I have Internet Explorer 5.x running there and no problems. Classic web browsers are free downloads and work seemlessly in Classic. Just remember use Classic software when in Classic :D