PDA

View Full Version : TextNow: Unlimited Free Texting on Your iPhone or iTouch (Google Voice support too!)

Pages : [1] 2 3

derek13
Aug 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
Get TextNow in App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=314716233&mt=8)
or
Try TextNow Lite FREE before you buy (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textnow-lite-free-texting-sms/id345202687?mt=8)

We now support Google Voice integration. Check out our tutorial/guide here:
http://blog.enflick.com/?p=3

Here are some screen shots:

http://enflick.com/textnow/0b.jpg http://enflick.com/textnow/44.png
http://enflick.com/textnow/11.png http://enflick.com/textnow/00.png
http://enflick.com/textnow/33.png

I would like to thank the beta testers for helping out with the beta testing. If you helped with the beta, please send me an e-mail for a free final version of the app.

If you guys have any questions about the app, feel free to ask in this thread and I will do my best to answer all your questions :)

Get it in App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=314716233&mt=8)

salilsundresh
Aug 7, 2009, 09:08 PM
Will this app give mea consistent # my friends can text me at or will it change every time I send them a message like with some apps?

fredf
Aug 7, 2009, 09:41 PM
Derek13:

What is your response to the reviewers who say it doesn't work in Canada. I notice it doesn't work with the largest cell network (Rogers) according to your iTunes blurp.

Do both parties (ie: sender and receiver) have to own this program? Does it work with Rogers?
Do both sides have to have a text plan?

derek13
Aug 9, 2009, 02:32 PM
Will this app give mea consistent # my friends can text me at or will it change every time I send them a message like with some apps?

Unfortunately, it doesn't provide a dedicated phone number for the app.

derek13
Aug 9, 2009, 02:35 PM
Derek13:

What is your response to the reviewers who say it doesn't work in Canada. I notice it doesn't work with the largest cell network (Rogers) according to your iTunes blurp.

Do both parties (ie: sender and receiver) have to own this program? Does it work with Rogers?
Do both sides have to have a text plan?

Rogers does work with the app. The reason it wasn't listed was because Rogers has a different sms gateway which required the recipient to reply "Read" to view the message if the recipient uses Rogers.

fredf
Aug 9, 2009, 03:09 PM
Rogers does work with the app. The reason it wasn't listed was because Rogers has a different sms gateway which required the recipient to reply "Read" to view the message if the recipient uses Rogers.

Derek13: Thank you for your reply.
You haven't answered the other two concerns:
1. do both parties have to own this app
2. do both parties have to subscribe to a text plan?

When you say it works with Rogers but the recipient has to reply 'read', do you mean that it is simply a simple extra step before reading (if so, I can live with that)?

Lastly, I gather this only works on iPhone to iPhone?

thanks

derek13
Aug 9, 2009, 03:26 PM
Derek13: Thank you for your reply.
You haven't answered the other two concerns:
1. do both parties have to own this app
2. do both parties have to subscribe to a text plan?

When you say it works with Rogers but the recipient has to reply 'read', do you mean that it is simply a simple extra step before reading (if so, I can live with that)?

Lastly, I gather this only works on iPhone to iPhone?

thanks

1. Both parties do not have to own the app. However, if both parties own the app, you have the option to bypass the carrier and the messages come much quicker. If both parties have the app, neither party will be charged.

2. Both parties do not have to subscribe to a text plan. However, if only one party has the app, at least one party has to be able to receive text messages.

The "Read" is basically an extra step. This only applies to recipients who use Rogers Wireless though.

fredf
Aug 9, 2009, 05:24 PM
Derek:

and the last point? is it only iPhone to iPhone or can I text any cell?

thanks

derek13
Aug 9, 2009, 05:49 PM
Derek:

and the last point? is it only iPhone to iPhone or can I text any cell?

thanks

you can text any cell.

deetle
Aug 10, 2009, 08:43 AM

More importantly can your friends text message you at all ? More specifically initiate a text message to you, if you are using this APP. What do they text it to ?

If a friend initiates a text ( from any phone with SMS ) , as texting it to my phone # , its not free as the name implies, and goes to the build in texting APP , not Unlimited 2.0 .

derek13
Aug 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
More importantly can your friends text message you at all ? More specifically initiate a text message to you, if you are using this APP. What do they text it to ?

If a friend initiates a text ( from any phone with SMS ) , as texting it to my phone # , its not free as the name implies, and goes to the build in texting APP , not Unlimited 2.0 .

If both parties have the app installed, you can receive texts directly in the app free of charge. However, if the other party doesn't have the app installed, the incoming text message goes to the default SMS app and normal text messaging charges would apply.

We are working on adding a feature where non-iphone users can text directly to the app using a dedicated email address similar to what textfree has right now.

nburwell
Aug 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
I apologize if this is a redundant question, but as long as both parties have this app installed on their iPhone's, neither of us should receive any surprises in terms of text charges on our AT&T bill, correct?

Buschmaster
Aug 10, 2009, 02:09 PM
I was one of the beta testers for this app. It's fantastic. :)

rnbd
Aug 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
when do you think push will be fixed?

derek13
Aug 10, 2009, 07:07 PM
I apologize if this is a redundant question, but as long as both parties have this app installed on their iPhone's, neither of us should receive any surprises in terms of text charges on our AT&T bill, correct?

In the app, there is an options section to switch U-SMS to U-SMS "ON". As long as that is switched to "ON", AT&T will never charge you for text messaging when both parties are using the app.

derek13
Aug 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
when do you think push will be fixed?

We submitted the fix to Apple already. It is the matter of waiting for Apple to approve the update.

Snausages604
Aug 12, 2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry to say but I urge people not to buy this. It's a waste of money, you are basically paying $3.00 for half an app. While you can SEND text messages, you simply cannot RECIEVE text messages unless the sender has the same app, and if they don't, it just goes to the default SMS application. So BASICALLY what they are telling you is that you might as well have just sent the message directly through your phone instead of pointlessly spending your $3.00.

kicko
Aug 12, 2009, 11:05 AM
Sorry to say but I urge people not to buy this. It's a waste of money, you are basically paying $3.00 for half an app. While you can SEND text messages, you simply cannot RECIEVE text messages unless the sender has the same app, and if they don't, it just goes to the default SMS application. So BASICALLY what they are telling you is that you might as well have just sent the message directly through your phone instead of pointlessly spending your $3.00.

Slow down man.. just because you dont like it doesn't mean we all won't. I have this app and its works pretty well.

The part you dont understand is this:

you can send a free text to anyone you wish.

The part your confused about is if someone wants to initiate a text to you there is no dedicated number or address (yet, and could be one soon) so there is no choice to send as a regular, However if you send a text 1st and they keep repling to that original messege it will always return to your U SMS app. with no text charge.

vwDavid
Aug 12, 2009, 11:06 AM

And as of August 18th this is also changing at FIDO. no more 6045551212@fido.ca internet e-mails routed to your SMS box. COMPLAIN NOW FOLKS!

101X
Aug 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
How do people text you? What is your text address?

derek13
Aug 12, 2009, 03:08 PM
For the next major release, we are adding a feature where you can select your own dedicated address for people to text you.

The feature is not in this version yet and we are working hard to get this feature working for our next release.

kicko
Aug 12, 2009, 03:37 PM
How do people text you? What is your text address?

for now you have to send one text 1st, after that ther person can just keep replying to that.

then see derek's response.

vega07
Aug 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
For the next major release, we are adding a feature where you can select your own dedicated address for people to text you.

The feature is not in this version yet and we are working hard to get this feature working for our next release.

you guys are behind textfree...

derek13
Aug 12, 2009, 05:56 PM
you guys are behind textfree...

We know that and that is why our price reflects that. ($2.99 one-time vs $5.99 per year).

We plan on implementing all the features Textfree has. So, all existing customers will get them at no additional cost when they are available.

We also plan on adding additional features that Textfree does not have. Our application also has a more pleasing looking UI than Textfree's and we will continue to work on improving it.

101X
Aug 12, 2009, 06:09 PM
cool thanks.

101X
Aug 12, 2009, 06:18 PM
how do you know so much about the app?

vega07
Aug 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
how do you know so much about the app?

he's obviously the developer.

derek13
Aug 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
he's obviously the developer.

Yup, I am one of the developers.

If you guys have any feature requests, feel free to mention it in this thread. If it is possible to implement, we will do our best to implement it into the app for future updates.

hitekalex
Aug 12, 2009, 06:50 PM
If you guys have any feature requests, feel free to mention it in this thread. If it is possible to implement, we will do our best to implement it into the app for future updates.

Derek, yeah - provide your users with e-mail address that accepts inbound SMS (like TextFree does today).. And put that e-mail address in the "from" field of outbound SMS messages, so that recipient knows who it's from (something that TextFree does NOT do today).

I am sorry to say, but your app in its current form is fairly useless (doesn't matter if it cost $0 and had the prettiest UI). I can just as easily send free outbound SMS's from Google Chat or e-mail or numerous other ways..

derek13
Aug 13, 2009, 11:59 AM
Derek, yeah - provide your users with e-mail address that accepts inbound SMS (like TextFree does today).. And put that e-mail address in the "from" field of outbound SMS messages, so that recipient knows who it's from (something that TextFree does NOT do today).

I am sorry to say, but your app in its current form is fairly useless (doesn't matter if it cost $0 and had the prettiest UI). I can just as easily send free outbound SMS's from Google Chat or e-mail or numerous other ways..

As mentioned earlier, the updates are coming and the inbound SMS is coming soon along with other features.

cheapa55
Aug 13, 2009, 01:00 PM
I love this app. What a great price for something that will save me a lot of money. My wife and I can text each other back and forth all day and not spend a penny (we both have this app).

I text my sister (she has unlimited sprint sms) and she always txt's me back on this app so it's all free. I don't understand how anyone can say it's useless.

Best bang for the money.

nburwell
Aug 13, 2009, 03:09 PM
I definitely agree. My girlfriend and I both d/l'd the app a few days ago, and have been using it quite often. It's great because I can now downgrade to the 200 texts/month for $5, rather then spend $15/month for 1,500 texts where I don't even use half of them. I am anxiously waiting the update for push!

cheapa55
Aug 13, 2009, 03:52 PM
I definitely agree. My girlfriend and I both d/l'd the app a few days ago, and have been using it quite often. It's great because I can now downgrade to the 200 texts/month for $5, rather then spend $15/month for 1,500 texts where I don't even use half of them. I am anxiously waiting the update for push!

That's what I use, just the $5 txt plan in case others text me first. Plenty left over. btw, what update for push are you talking about?

fishstacks
Aug 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
Make this work on Rogers!

derek13
Aug 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
Make this work on Rogers!

It works on Rogers.

hitekalex
Aug 13, 2009, 10:40 PM
I love this app. What a great price for something that will save me a lot of money. My wife and I can text each other back and forth all day and not spend a penny (we both have this app).

I text my sister (she has unlimited sprint sms) and she always txt's me back on this app so it's all free. I don't understand how anyone can say it's useless.

Best bang for the money.

If you and your wife both have iPhones - you don't need SMS. Just use IM apps like AIM or Google Chat - they're all free and work great.

Problem with this app is that people cannot initiate SMS to you (yet). So your friends need to send standard SMS to you.. then your reply comes across with some random-generated ID. The response ends up in a different SMS thread than the original message, on phones with threaded SMS, like iPhone. Even if/when inbound SMS is supported - you will likely have these issues (like TextFree does).

It's all a huge pain in the ass and not worth it to me. I simply use free AIM with all my friends with iPhones and other smartphones. And for the rest - that's where $5 / 200 SMS plan comes in.

cheapa55
Aug 14, 2009, 12:04 AM
google chat on the iphone does that? it's not running in the background though and it doesn't have push. or am I missing something?

If you and your wife both have iPhones - you don't need SMS. Just use IM apps like AIM or Google Chat - they're all free and work great.

Problem with this app is that people cannot initiate SMS to you (yet). So your friends need to send standard SMS to you.. then your reply comes across with some random-generated ID. The response ends up in a different SMS thread than the original message, on phones with threaded SMS, like iPhone. Even if/when inbound SMS is supported - you will likely have these issues (like TextFree does).

It's all a huge pain in the ass and not worth it to me. I simply use free AIM with all my friends with iPhones and other smartphones. And for the rest - that's where $5 / 200 SMS plan comes in.

hitekalex
Aug 14, 2009, 10:02 AM
google chat on the iphone does that? it's not running in the background though and it doesn't have push. or am I missing something?

There is a number of multi-client apps w/Push that support Google Chat. I have IM+ w/Push app that supports gChat (along with other IM providers like AIM).

Just thinking about this some more, here's a feature suggestion to Unlimited SMS developers:

(a) Give the app an option to set outbound SMS sender-ID to the AT&T phone number of the user. This will enable consistent SMS threads on the recipient's phones, and removes confusion with the random-generated sender ID's.

(b) Intercept inbound SMS messages from iPhone's SMS app, and place them inside of the right thread within Unlimited SMS app. This will basically allow Unlimited SMS to replace iPhone's native SMS app.

The benefit here is for those of us with cheap 200-message plans, this app will basically give us free outbound SMS.. avoiding all the inconvenience and confusion with SMS threads, ID's etc. Now, I don't know if (b) is even possible (does API sandbox give access to SMS messages?), or if Apple would allow it.. But thought I'd ask..

nburwell
Aug 14, 2009, 11:45 AM
That's what I use, just the $5 txt plan in case others text me first. Plenty left over. btw, what update for push are you talking about?

According to derek's initial post, push is supposed to available for the next update. For now, my girlfriend and I have to be in the app in order to receive our SMS messages to/from each other.

derek13
Aug 15, 2009, 01:09 PM
Now, I don't know if (b) is even possible (does API sandbox give access to SMS messages?), or if Apple would allow it.. But thought I'd ask..

Unfortunately, Apple does not allow developers to intercept or access default SMS messages on the device.

deranged
Aug 17, 2009, 10:35 PM
hey derek13

I just bought your app and it doesn't seem to work at all.
I live in Toronto and I'm on the Rogers network. Before the 2.01 patch came out i was able to send text messages, but the receivers had to subscribe to a $5 a month "email to SMS" service and text "read" to rogers every time they get a text from me. This ends up costing them 15 cents every time they receive a message because essentially they had to send a text message to receive my text.
Now after the update, people i sent texts to don't even get the email to sms message anymore.

On the rogers network the cheapest text plan is $3 at the moment which is only for customers who have a good standing with rogers. The cheapest text plan for regular customers is $5/month which includes unlimited received texts and 120 outgoing.
If we are using your program, they have to subscribe to the email to sms feature which is an additional $5/month.

The regular unlimited text service is $10/month at rogers. So using your program, it would be just as expensive as subscribing to the regular rogers unlimited text.

derek13
Aug 17, 2009, 11:43 PM
hey derek13

I just bought your app and it doesn't seem to work at all.
I live in Toronto and I'm on the Rogers network. Before the 2.01 patch came out i was able to send text messages, but the receivers had to subscribe to a $5 a month "email to SMS" service and text "read" to rogers every time they get a text from me. This ends up costing them 15 cents every time they receive a message because essentially they had to send a text message to receive my text.
Now after the update, people i sent texts to don't even get the email to sms message anymore.

On the rogers network the cheapest text plan is $3 at the moment which is only for customers who have a good standing with rogers. The cheapest text plan for regular customers is $5/month which includes unlimited received texts and 120 outgoing.
If we are using your program, they have to subscribe to the email to sms feature which is an additional $5/month.

The regular unlimited text service is $10/month at rogers. So using your program, it would be just as expensive as subscribing to the regular rogers unlimited text.

The 2.1 update should not break the anything as the only that changed was in the UI (the next one after that will only fix push notifications).

As for the Rogers issue you mentioned; yes, the recipient would have to reply with "Read" in order to view the message. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that because it is the way Rogers decided to implement their network. However, this problem only applies to Rogers and it doesn't apply to the other Canadian carriers (ie. Bell).

macswitcha2
Aug 18, 2009, 01:48 PM
Isn't texting using google voice's number a way to text without being charged?

derek13
Aug 21, 2009, 03:48 PM
Update, 08/21/2009: We have a new beta version that allows users to pick their own username@myusms.net address to receive texts. We need 15 beta testers. If you are interested in beta testing this version, let me know. Thanks!

http://tinginteractive.com/usms2_screens/6.png

rnbd
Aug 21, 2009, 04:58 PM
when is push coming out!!!!!

Zman3001
Aug 21, 2009, 06:21 PM
Sent a PM regarding beta testing, hope to hear back soon. Thanks.

derek13
Aug 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
when is push coming out!!!!!

Apple just approved the update. It should be out now.

h1w1nd
Aug 22, 2009, 05:15 AM
looks like a nice app! i like the design better than Text+

Derek I tried to send you a pm but for some reason it won't let me!

I'd like to test your sms app if possible.

Thank you =)

derek13
Aug 22, 2009, 07:04 PM
looks like a nice app! i like the design better than Text+

Derek I tried to send you a pm but for some reason it won't let me!

I'd like to test your sms app if possible.

Thank you =)

send me an email with your UDID. derek [at] tinginteractive.com

thanks!

h1w1nd
Aug 22, 2009, 08:11 PM
send me an email with your UDID. derek [at] tinginteractive.com

thanks!

I sent you an email today with my udid!!
Thanks. =)

Eminemdrdre00
Aug 23, 2009, 10:32 PM
Just bought this today after paying $5.99 for TextFree. It was very slow today and unreliable. Plus it loaded texts very slow. Unlimited SMS has a great UI and seems very quick! The only issue with the Push Notifications is it just displays the message "Lets get lunch". I'd like to to say "Bob: Lets get lunch". Any plans on having the sender's name appear on the notification?

And a minor request...the icon for Unlimited SMS is SO much better looking than TextFree's. Would be cool if you could make the background green like the official SMS app. Would Apple whine about that?

But really other than not displaying the sender's name on the push notificatons, I've been very happy with this app. Its a lot better than TextFree and I'd love to beta test! I contacted you on Twitter. You can PM me here too if you need me.

h1w1nd
Aug 24, 2009, 01:13 AM
Derek!

Should I send e-mail's to you regards to the beta with problems i find or goto Ting interactive and create a ticket?

Thanks

derek13
Aug 24, 2009, 01:59 AM
Derek!

Should I send e-mail's to you regards to the beta with problems i find or goto Ting interactive and create a ticket?

Thanks

Send me an email directly.

Thanks!

h1w1nd
Aug 24, 2009, 09:58 PM
This app keeps getting better and better! Derek has done an amazing job. I've used Text+ and TextFree and I can honestly say I like U-SMS 100x better! :D

derek13
Aug 28, 2009, 03:28 AM
Update, 08/28/2009:
U SMS version 3.1 has been submitted to the app store.
This version includes the ability to pick your own username@myusms.net address and also displays the contact name in push notifications.

http://tinginteractive.com/usms2_screens/6.png

tbm248
Aug 30, 2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Derek.

I've quickly learned after beta testing for a bit, this is a great app.

Just one suggestion/request --

For sending texts, if we could have it so the app shows a specific display name of our choosing (e.g. just our first name or whatever) instead of email address to the recipient, that would be huge! It would avoid confusion as to who is sending them a text, imo. I know that textfree has that "feature", and I'm really hoping you guys can add it in with USMS because I like your app so much more!

derek13
Sep 1, 2009, 03:11 PM
For sending texts, if we could have it so the app shows a specific display name of our choosing (e.g. just our first name or whatever) instead of email address to the recipient, that would be huge! It would avoid confusion as to who is sending them a text, imo. I know that textfree has that "feature", and I'm really hoping you guys can add it in with USMS because I like your app so much more!

We have fixed this server-side. Let us know how it is for you now. We appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
two questions- how can a friend on a dumbphone initiate the conversation to me and it go straight to U SMS? I assume it will be done with the 3.1 email thing... but I don't understand how. Can you explain?

Also, (I haven't downloaded yet), but I have heard that the push notification uses the ping sound like for an email. This is too quiet, and is easy to confuse with email. Will that be changed, or more preferably have an option allowing us to change the sound to one of several options??

Thanks!

derek13
Sep 2, 2009, 11:53 AM
two questions- how can a friend on a dumbphone initiate the conversation to me and it go straight to U SMS? I assume it will be done with the 3.1 email thing... but I don't understand how. Can you explain?

Also, (I haven't downloaded yet), but I have heard that the push notification uses the ping sound like for an email. This is too quiet, and is easy to confuse with email. Will that be changed, or more preferably have an option allowing us to change the sound to one of several options??

Thanks!

Any friend with any phone should be able to text you using username@myusms.net. This will be supported in 3.1 when Apple approves our update. Basically, instead of entering in your phone number, they will just enter in username@myusms.net when they send a new text message from their phone. They can also put it in their address book for convenience.

As for the push notification, our app uses the same sound as the SMS notification sound. The quieter email one is when you are in the app and just downloaded a new message. We will work on eliminating redundant notifications and make the one in the app louder.

I hope I answered your questions. If anything is still unclear to you, let me know. :)

kicko
Sep 2, 2009, 12:13 PM
better on the server fix but i'm not sure it needs the senders name twice.

example FRM:name@myusms.net
MSG:name:hello there

Myself i would prefer

FRM:name@myusms.net
MSG:hello there

or

FRM: (name)name@myusms.net including both user name and address

ratbatblue
Sep 2, 2009, 01:04 PM
This is the first I've heard of this app, and it looks/sounds fantastic. How does AT&T allow this to exist? Before I get flamed for that question, I do understand that AT&T has no direct approval authority over apps in the App Store, but I would think they'd have some agreement with Apple so that Apple wouldn't approve something like this, which directly hurts AT&T in the wallet. If the app works like it sounds like it does, it will save me $30 per month! Pretty freakin' cool, that.

tbm248
Sep 2, 2009, 01:53 PM
We have fixed this server-side. Let us know how it is for you now. We appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

Cool, thanks!

Myself i would prefer

or

Hmm, I haven't tested out this latest change yet, but based on what you have said, I would prefer it like this --

FRM: user name (name@myusms.net)
MSG: hello there

Is this possible, Derek?

tbm248
Sep 2, 2009, 02:00 PM
This is the first I've heard of this app, and it looks/sounds fantastic. How does AT&T allow this to exist? Before I get flamed for that question, I do understand that AT&T has no direct approval authority over apps in the App Store, but I would think they'd have some agreement with Apple so that Apple wouldn't approve something like this, which directly hurts AT&T in the wallet. If the app works like it sounds like it does, it will save me $30 per month! Pretty freakin' cool, that.

I think since this app uses data to send/receive the text messages, there shouldn't be a problem with AT&T.

But yes, it does work like it sounds, great app.

I think the only "downside" to this app in comparison to the AT&T texting plan is when the other person initiates a conversation, they need to know to send it to the @myusms.net, otherwise the text will go through as a regular text, and you will be charged (if you don't have a texting plan). Derek said earlier it's unfortunately not possible for developers to intercept those messages and have it go to the USMS app. But that's only a "problem" when the other person doesn't know, and after you tell them to send future texts to your @myusms.net address, you should be all set. I mean, say 50 people text you when you don't have a texting plan, and they don't send to your @mysms.net address, that's $10. However, after you tell all of them where to send the texts, there shouldn't be a problem, and you save a TON of money! Definitely one of my favorite apps!

nburwell
Sep 2, 2009, 03:30 PM
I am wondering for a future update if there could be a badge in the corner of the app icon when you unlock your phone that alerts you of an unread text message (i.e. exactly like the standard text app that comes with the iPhone). Currently, when my girlfriend sends me a text through the app, the push notification pops up, but if I get a text from a friend of mine (or another push notification) when I unlock the phone, there is nothing telling me I have an unread message within the app. Thus, I may forget to respond if I were not to see that alert. Just a suggestion for a possible future update.

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 2, 2009, 06:44 PM
can anybody tell me how fast the text messages are received compared to a regular text?

nburwell
Sep 2, 2009, 06:58 PM
My gf and I both have this app. After we purchased it, we tested it out to see how long it took for each of us to receive the other's message. It literally took a few seconds. Practically equal the amount of time it takes to receive a standard SMS message via the included text msg app. Now I obviously can't vouch for how long it takes to receive a text when the other person is not using the app.

tbm248
Sep 2, 2009, 07:11 PM
can anybody tell me how fast the text messages are received compared to a regular text?

Just as fast sending/receiving as regular texts for me (including people who don't have the app).

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 2, 2009, 07:46 PM
My gf and I both have this app. After we purchased it, we tested it out to see how long it took for each of us to receive the other's message. It literally took a few seconds. Practically equal the amount of time it takes to receive a standard SMS message via the included text msg app. Now I obviously can't vouch for how long it takes to receive a text when the other person is not using the app.

Just as fast sending/receiving as regular texts for me (including people who don't have the app).

and the same results when using push?

tbm248
Sep 2, 2009, 08:10 PM
and the same results when using push?

Yup.

For me, this app is just as good as the regular native text message app on the iphone. Only thing I'm currently hoping for right now is the slight change in the way your display name is shown to recipients when you are sending messages.

I'm sure some other changes would be nice (maybe group messaging?), but for what I need out of a texting app (fast sending/receiving, nice UI, reliability, unlimited texting without having to pay a monthly/yearly fee), this app is perfect for me.

Oh, I also think ratbatblue's suggestion for badge updates like how the native text messaging app would be very useful, too.

nburwell
Sep 3, 2009, 08:06 AM
I get the same results as tbm248. This app really is just as good as the native text msg app for the iPhone.

I also am hoping for badge updates especially since I have quite a few apps that have "push" notifications and it could be easy to just to forget about the SMS message in the app if there is no badge alerting me of an unread msg.

kicko
Sep 3, 2009, 08:42 AM
I'm getting badge notifications, are you guys not?

nburwell
Sep 3, 2009, 11:02 AM
I get the typical push notification. However, for example, last night, I got a text from my girlfriend, and shortly after that I received a push notification from the MLB app. Once I unlocked my phone, there was no notification in the U SMS app alerting me that I had an unread text message. In the native text app, you typically have a # in the right corner alerting you how many unread texts you have. So unless I'm missing something, I don't have the badge notification after I slide to unlock my phone and am on the first home screen.

derek13
Sep 3, 2009, 11:42 AM

Myself i would prefer

or

Cool, thanks!

Hmm, I haven't tested out this latest change yet, but based on what you have said, I would prefer it like this --

FRM: user name (name@myusms.net)
MSG: hello there

Is this possible, Derek?

We will work on this.

derek13
Sep 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am wondering for a future update if there could be a badge in the corner of the app icon when you unlock your phone that alerts you of an unread text message (i.e. exactly like the standard text app that comes with the iPhone). Currently, when my girlfriend sends me a text through the app, the push notification pops up, but if I get a text from a friend of mine (or another push notification) when I unlock the phone, there is nothing telling me I have an unread message within the app. Thus, I may forget to respond if I were not to see that alert. Just a suggestion for a possible future update.

The badge notifications should work. Is badge notifications for the app turned on in Settings > Notifications?

nburwell
Sep 3, 2009, 02:54 PM
Yes. Sounds, alerts, and badges are all "on."

kicko
Sep 3, 2009, 03:14 PM
Yes. Sounds, alerts, and badges are all "on."

are you jailbroken or anything?

i have this on 2 iphone and badges are working fine.

tbm248
Sep 3, 2009, 03:46 PM
Woops, badge updates ARE working for me.

I'm beta testing another app, and that one has not been updating the badge. Got it mixed up.

nburwell
Sep 3, 2009, 03:48 PM
I'm not jailbroken or anything. I'm guessing maybe I should re-download the app? Although I don't want to pay the $2.99 again.

tbm248
Sep 3, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not jailbroken or anything. I'm guessing maybe I should re-download the app? Although I don't want to pay the $2.99 again.

I don't think I've ever done this with a paid app, but, if you already purchased the app, I think you can delete and reinstall on your phone without having to pay again.

nburwell
Sep 3, 2009, 06:23 PM
I know you can obviously do it with the free apps, since I have done that before. Can anyone else verify that if I delete and download the app again, I will NOT have to pay?

kicko
Sep 3, 2009, 07:40 PM
if you bought it once you will not have to pay for it again.

fredf
Sep 6, 2009, 08:24 PM
Derek13:

Can anyone (Derek) confirm that this can text from overseas for 'free'.
I am going to Italy and would love to text back home. I will have Roaming off (in Settings) to make sure I don't incur any unwanted charges but would like to be able to text back home without pay Rogers the $0.75 per text.

Can I just just text for free when I get a Wifi signal?
Regular texting uses Voice Roaming and so is billed separately. How would unlimited SMS work in this situation? I guess it would use data Roaming and so I couldn't do it with Roaming off? So I would be confined to Wifi if I don't want to pay?

thanks

p.s.: has this issue on Rogers been fixed yet or dealt with in another manner that doesn't require a 'read' reply?

"As for the Rogers issue you mentioned; yes, the recipient would have to reply with "Read" in order to view the message. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that because it is the way Rogers decided to implement their network. However, this problem only applies to Rogers and it doesn't apply to the other Canadian carriers (ie. Bell)."

fredf
Sep 8, 2009, 11:06 AM
can you respond to the last post?

derek13
Sep 8, 2009, 01:14 PM
Derek13:

Can anyone (Derek) confirm that this can text from overseas for 'free'.
I am going to Italy and would love to text back home. I will have Roaming off (in Settings) to make sure I don't incur any unwanted charges but would like to be able to text back home without pay Rogers the $0.75 per text.

Can I just just text for free when I get a Wifi signal?
Regular texting uses Voice Roaming and so is billed separately. How would unlimited SMS work in this situation? I guess it would use data Roaming and so I couldn't do it with Roaming off? So I would be confined to Wifi if I don't want to pay?

thanks

p.s.: has this issue on Rogers been fixed yet or dealt with in another manner that doesn't require a 'read' reply?

"As for the Rogers issue you mentioned; yes, the recipient would have to reply with "Read" in order to view the message. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that because it is the way Rogers decided to implement their network. However, this problem only applies to Rogers and it doesn't apply to the other Canadian carriers (ie. Bell)."

Texting from overseas will be free if you have access to a Wifi signal.

As for recipient who use Rogers as their carrier, recipient will have to reply with "Read" to see the message. We have not found a solution around this yet.

tbm248
Sep 8, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Derek.

Just wondering if the display name and email address setup for when others receive text has been changed?

Just thought I would ask. :)

IronLogik
Sep 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
When is the next update coming out?

Angela97
Sep 8, 2009, 06:37 PM
I have a iPod touch and I just downloaded this, if the other person I text to dosent have this app or is a normal phone, where does their reply go to?

tbm248
Sep 8, 2009, 06:56 PM
I have a iPod touch and I just downloaded this, if the other person I text to dosent have this app or is a normal phone, where does their reply go to?

Goes to their phone as a regular text.

Angela97
Sep 8, 2009, 06:58 PM

Oh and the person I texted to has a iPhone without this app.

Angela97
Sep 8, 2009, 07:08 PM
But if they text back where can I see their text? iPod dosent have the native texting thing..

tbm248
Sep 8, 2009, 10:04 PM
Oh and the person I texted to has a iPhone without this app.

Yeah, when you are sending a text from this app to another phone (whether the other person has an iphone or not), they will receive your message as a regular text.

If the other person does happen to have the app, then you can direct your text message to their @myusms.net address, and also text back and forth that way.

But if they text back where can I see their text? iPod dosent have the native texting thing..

When they text back, assuming you have push notifications available on your iPod, you will be notified via a push notification that you have a text. On your main screen, you will see a little message that has the other persons name, and a blurb of their message. To view the message, you just go to the USMS app, open it up, and you will see all your texts. There should also be badge updates on your USMS to indicate how many new texts you have in case you forgot about the push notification or something.

Also, if the other person wants to initiate texting with you, meaning, they want to send you a text FIRST, they would need to enter your specific @myusms.net address (you get to choose an address) for where to send their text message. They could of course go through their texts and find an old one from you and reply to it to start a new conversation.

Hope that helps!

Angela97
Sep 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
.myusms adress? I can't seem to make one, in thr options it says- name and the next one is usms-usms on or off. Where can you make a adress?

tbm248
Sep 8, 2009, 10:51 PM
Do you have version 3.1 ?

Derek (the developer), submitted 3.1 to the app store on 8/28 --

Update, 08/28/2009:
U SMS version 3.1 has been submitted to the app store.
This version includes the ability to pick your own username@myusms.net address and also displays the contact name in push notifications.

I've been beta testing 3.1 so I'm not sure if it actually has been approved and available for update in the app store for everyone else. If it's not out yet, I'm guessing it will be shortly.

nburwell
Sep 9, 2009, 10:38 AM
There should also be badge updates on your USMS to indicate how many new texts you have in case you forgot about the push notification or something.

This seems to be an issue between my gf and I who both use this app. We both re-downloaded the app, and we still don't get badge notifications when we slide to unlock our phone and are looking at the home screen. Now the weird thing is that if I receive two text msgs from my gf, a badge alert will appear but only with a "1" in the corner (even though I have 2 unread texts). I'm hoping that maybe an update would fix this.

derek13
Sep 11, 2009, 11:23 AM
This seems to be an issue between my gf and I who both use this app. We both re-downloaded the app, and we still don't get badge notifications when we slide to unlock our phone and are looking at the home screen. Now the weird thing is that if I receive two text msgs from my gf, a badge alert will appear but only with a "1" in the corner (even though I have 2 unread texts). I'm hoping that maybe an update would fix this.

We will look into the badge issue. The icon should show a badge of messages not yet downloaded.

derek13
Sep 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
Update, 09/11/2009:
Apple rejected our 3.1 submission. However, we have fixed what they wanted us to fix and resubmitted 3.1 with another feature:
Ability to personalize the app
http://tinginteractive.com/usms2_screens/personalize.png

Eminemdrdre00
Sep 11, 2009, 12:00 PM
Update, 09/11/2009:
Apple rejected our 3.1 submission. However, we have fixed what they wanted us to fix and resubmitted 3.1 with another feature:

Looking forward to personalizing, I like the last one best! Are you allowed to go into why the rejected the app?

IronLogik
Sep 11, 2009, 12:32 PM
damn. i was hoping that it would be released soon. Now we're onto another 2 week wait huh?

Overall the app seems fine. It does however need some serious polish. I've yet to come across a text messaging application as polished as Apple's own.

For the To: field on composing a new message. Remove the (x) to remove the contact. It looks out of place and is pointless next to the + button.

Larger font size for your message when you're typing it.

The Send button looks funny where it is. I'd suggest an X to close the current message you're typing in on the right, emoticons icon on the left, and the send button in the center

http://www.unlogikal.net/dropbox/mockups/usms/sendwindow.jpg

Something like that. Make the button longer so it is proportional with the size of the box and centered. Not big enough that it's going to cause people to accidentally hit it, but bigger than it currently is.

Next, there's a bug on the keyboard. I can reproduce it every time when i do this.

1. Create a new message
2. Click the To: field, Type in part of someone's name so your selection box pops up below to select someone from a partial name.
3. Then rotate the iphone/ipodtouch in the opposite orientation, then switch back to the normal orientation, and back again. You'll notice the keyboard is all messed up and is in both orientations. I can screen shot it if you'd like.

I'll admit i discovered it by accident in the middle of typing a message and had to pause a few times to grab something, the result was the view rotating several times and caused this.

I'll agree you need to work out a better way to display the name/address stuff so people can more easily see who the message is from.

Option to turn off the icons for a person. Most of mine don't have icons so it's just a large box. I assume it looks pretty good if everyone has an icon, mine however don't, and I'd guess not everyone has icons on theirs either. An option to disable this would be rockin.

All i've got for now. If you want mock up's or screen shots let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Edit: added a mockup since the ascii text version was fail. Hope that gives a better idea. It's rough but should help visualize it.

Bigger font, bigger margin around the edges. Just looks more polished that way. (By all means my mockup is not intended to be "polished" it took me 3 minutes to make lol)

Also, show me how many characters I have remaining.

derek13
Sep 11, 2009, 01:46 PM
Looking forward to personalizing, I like the last one best! Are you allowed to go into why the rejected the app?

Apple rejected the app because the app still showed "Updating..." as it tries to connect to the server when the device is offline from the internet. It was a simple fix, but it is a pity that the app has to go through the same process again after resubmission.

derek13
Sep 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
damn. i was hoping that it would be released soon. Now we're onto another 2 week wait huh?

Overall the app seems fine. It does however need some serious polish. I've yet to come across a text messaging application as polished as Apple's own.

For the To: field on composing a new message. Remove the (x) to remove the contact. It looks out of place and is pointless next to the + button.

Larger font size for your message when you're typing it.

The Send button looks funny where it is. I'd suggest an X to close the current message you're typing in on the right, emoticons icon on the left, and the send button in the center

http://www.unlogikal.net/dropbox/mockups/usms/sendwindow.jpg

Something like that. Make the button longer so it is proportional with the size of the box and centered. Not big enough that it's going to cause people to accidentally hit it, but bigger than it currently is.

Next, there's a bug on the keyboard. I can reproduce it every time when i do this.

1. Create a new message
2. Click the To: field, Type in part of someone's name so your selection box pops up below to select someone from a partial name.
3. Then rotate the iphone/ipodtouch in the opposite orientation, then switch back to the normal orientation, and back again. You'll notice the keyboard is all messed up and is in both orientations. I can screen shot it if you'd like.

I'll admit i discovered it by accident in the middle of typing a message and had to pause a few times to grab something, the result was the view rotating several times and caused this.

I'll agree you need to work out a better way to display the name/address stuff so people can more easily see who the message is from.

Option to turn off the icons for a person. Most of mine don't have icons so it's just a large box. I assume it looks pretty good if everyone has an icon, mine however don't, and I'd guess not everyone has icons on theirs either. An option to disable this would be rockin.

All i've got for now. If you want mock up's or screen shots let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Edit: added a mockup since the ascii text version was fail. Hope that gives a better idea. It's rough but should help visualize it.

Bigger font, bigger margin around the edges. Just looks more polished that way. (By all means my mockup is not intended to be "polished" it took me 3 minutes to make lol)

Also, show me how many characters I have remaining.

Thanks for the suggestions and the mockup. We will definitely take all of them into consideration for the next update.

As for the bug with the keyboard, I believe this has been fixed for the 3.1 update.

h1w1nd
Sep 11, 2009, 01:55 PM
Update, 09/11/2009:

Very nice! Can't wait to see.

Sorry to hear the app got rejected! :eek:

IronLogik
Sep 11, 2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and the mockup. We will definitely take all of them into consideration for the next update.

As for the bug with the keyboard, I believe this has been fixed for the 3.1 update.

3.1 of your app or 3.1 of the iphone OS? I'm currently running the 3.1 iphone update and it still does it if that's what you meant. If it's 3.1 of your app then awesome. glad it's fixed.

derek13
Sep 11, 2009, 02:04 PM
3.1 of your app or 3.1 of the iphone OS? I'm currently running the 3.1 iphone update and it still does it if that's what you meant. If it's 3.1 of your app then awesome. glad it's fixed.

3.1 of the app (still waiting for Apple to approve).

kicko
Sep 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hey derek, i thought a a cool feature to add to the app. i'll email you the idea, do you still have the current email or has that changed? thanks

derek13
Sep 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hey derek, i thought a a cool feature to add to the app. i'll email you the idea, do you still have the current email or has that changed? thanks

either the old or new email address will end up in the same inbox so you can email me with the current email address you have

LSUtigers03
Sep 15, 2009, 09:34 AM
Will there be a way to implement picture messaging into the app?

jnguyen4
Sep 15, 2009, 08:41 PM
I have been beta testing this app for a few months already and I can honestly say that it is much better than textfree. Textfree takes ages to open compared to uSMS. I love this app and it does give you an option for a username now. The UI is very nice and the price is very good compared to the yearly prices from textfree. I purchased textfree before I became a beta tester for uSMS. Now I regret not waiting. Thanks Derek for a wonderful app.

I only have one gripe. I often text a person that is using a BB. And a person using and iPhone. The person with a BB cannot save my email in their contacts. That makes it a little difficult to initiate a conversation. The person using an iPhone cannot save it as well. For the iphone, texts do not appear in the same thread. It creates a new thread in the messaging app everytime which gets annoying for the recipient.

h1w1nd
Sep 16, 2009, 12:08 AM
I have been beta testing this app for a few months already and I can honestly say that it is much better than textfree. Textfree takes ages to open compared to uSMS. I love this app and it does give you an option for a username now. The UI is very nice and the price is very good compared to the yearly prices from textfree. I purchased textfree before I became a beta tester for uSMS. Now I regret not waiting. Thanks Derek for a wonderful app.

I only have one gripe. I often text a person that is using a BB. And a person using and iPhone. The person with a BB cannot save my email in their contacts. That makes it a little difficult to initiate a conversation. The person using an iPhone cannot save it as well. For the iphone, texts do not appear in the same thread. It creates a new thread in the messaging app everytime which gets annoying for the recipient.

I thought textfree was the best thing since sliced bread! Until it started crashing all the time, people not getting my messages, my phone not receiving any messages!!

Every text with U-SMS that I sent always went through very fast, conversations are just as smooth as texting from the default sms app =D

Navigating through U-SMS is much smoother than textfree! Much better interface!

fredf
Sep 16, 2009, 09:47 AM
Derek13:
Just before buying this, let me get precisely what to expect on Rogers (in Canada):
... I am the only one in my circle with an iphone (in fact the only one with a smart phone!)
... when I send a message how does it show up on a regular cell?
... how do the recipients respond?
... who gets charge what by Rogers.

Thanks

IronLogik
Sep 16, 2009, 09:50 AM
Derek13:
Just before buying this, let me get precisely what to expect on Rogers (in Canada):
... I am the only one in my circle with an iphone (in fact the only one with a smart phone!)
... when I send a message how does it show up on a regular cell?
... how do the recipients respond?
... who gets charge what by Rogers.

Thanks

1. It has your name, and a random phone number they respond to. It won't show up as your phone number.
2. They can reply just as normal, however it won't be to your cell # it will be random. They can also send you texts by using your new (when the next version is released) usms email address (this is only usable by MMS supported phones)
3. Your friends will be charged per text (unless they have a plan giving them x number of texts or unlimited). You won't be charged anything unless they send texts to YOUR cell #.

Uabcar
Sep 16, 2009, 10:09 AM
1. It has your name, and a random phone number they respond to. It won't show up as your phone number.
2. They can reply just as normal, however it won't be to your cell # it will be random. They can also send you texts by using your new (when the next version is released) usms email address (this is only usable by MMS supported phones)
3. Your friends will be charged per text (unless they have a plan giving them x number of texts or unlimited). You won't be charged anything unless they send texts to YOUR cell #.

I just downloaded this to my iPhone- and plan to add it to my wifes later today. Seems to work well enough for what I want it for (we each have the $5 @200/mth plan and spend most of them between us).

As a test, i sent a text to my work blackberry and it included my iPhone's number in the email. It does also have my name in the FRM section.

edit- To add some more information. On my bb I did not get the option to reply. I could choose to respond via email (in the form of my iphone#@m2.enfl...). I did this but never got the response on my iPhone. USMS mgs came through almost instantly to my BB though. I do have the 'respond' option when I send a regular carrier SMS.

I think the personalization update will be nice so I'm looking forward to that.

I also think adding MMS would be nice - but in reality, we won't use it enough to matter that much (just nice to have like everything else).

derek13
Sep 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
Update, 09/21/2009:
Version 3.1 has been approved! Exciting features are coming for 3.2 - stay tuned.

Eminemdrdre00
Sep 21, 2009, 07:24 PM
Update, 09/21/2009:
Version 3.1 has been approved! Exciting features are coming for 3.2 - stay tuned.

I love 3.1...cant imagine what you can add to 3.2, it seems to already be the best SMS app! Cant wait :)

derek13
Sep 22, 2009, 11:21 AM
Update:

You can now win a FREE iPod Nano!
Instructions. (http://enflick.com/freeipod.html)

Eminemdrdre00
Sep 22, 2009, 11:42 AM
Update:

Awesome! The message was a bit too long to RT, but I cleaned it up a bit and RT'd. Is there a limit to how many times we can RT? I love this app, good luck to all!

derek13
Sep 22, 2009, 11:44 AM
Awesome! The message was a bit too long to RT, but I cleaned it up a bit and RT'd. Is there a limit to how many times we can RT? I love this app, good luck to all!

I made the message shorter so it is now easier to RT. There is no limit how many times you can RT.

Eminemdrdre00
Sep 22, 2009, 11:47 AM
I made the message shorter so it is now easier to RT. There is no limit how many times you can RT.

So the more I RT, the better my chances of winning right? I also see you put "WinnerS will be announced"...more than 1 person will win a Nano?

cheapa55
Sep 22, 2009, 12:23 PM
Update:

Nice!!! I hope I win. :)

IronLogik
Sep 22, 2009, 02:17 PM
I see several fundamental problems with the interface on this app still..

The keyboard covers up the bottom of the chat window. So I can't see the latest 2-3 texts while I'm typing. THAT is bad. If you are composing a message, the "chat" area should raise up to the height of the compose window so I can still view the last message without hitting the X button to make the keyboard disappear. I don't get why I have to mention this though :( It should be so obvious that the behavior is wrong.

The text size is too small for the text window you type in. I have to nearly squint to see the text and i'm not old nor do I have bad eyes. Make the text bigger please (I mentioned this before but I'm saying it again)

Next, the next is a minor thing but still very annoying. The X box on the compose window looks bad. The window is semi-transparent. So is the X box. That leads to some stupid looking graphics. Change the color and opacity of the X box. Make it easier to hit as well.

derek13
Sep 22, 2009, 02:58 PM

The keyboard covers up the bottom of the chat window. So I can't see the latest 2-3 texts while I'm typing. THAT is bad. If you are composing a message, the "chat" area should raise up to the height of the compose window so I can still view the last message without hitting the X button to make the keyboard disappear. I don't get why I have to mention this though :( It should be so obvious that the behavior is wrong.

The text size is too small for the text window you type in. I have to nearly squint to see the text and i'm not old nor do I have bad eyes. Make the text bigger please (I mentioned this before but I'm saying it again)

Next, the next is a minor thing but still very annoying. The X box on the compose window looks bad. The window is semi-transparent. So is the X box. That leads to some stupid looking graphics. Change the color and opacity of the X box. Make it easier to hit as well.

Thanks for the feedback. We are still currently working on a solution to make the control more usable. We have not forgotten about this and are working to make it better.

derek13
Sep 23, 2009, 10:24 AM
So the more I RT, the better my chances of winning right? I also see you put "WinnerS will be announced"...more than 1 person will win a Nano?

Yes, the more you RT the better your changes will be. One winner will be announced, but if there are a lot of contest entries, we may bump it up to 2 or 3.

nburwell
Sep 23, 2009, 02:26 PM
Is there any way in future updates to incorporate the date/time above the text messages (similiar to what the native text msg app has)?

I'm really liking the new color themes in the update!

derek13
Sep 23, 2009, 04:51 PM
Is there any way in future updates to incorporate the date/time above the text messages (similiar to what the native text msg app has)?

I'm really liking the new color themes in the update!

Thanks for the feedback! That is on our todo list.

derek13
Sep 23, 2009, 04:53 PM
Help us become the #1 texting app!

If you love the app, tell your friends to download it. :)

Eminemdrdre00
Sep 23, 2009, 10:55 PM

I already have ;) I dumped TextFree after using Unlimited-SMS for just a few minutes! Now off to RT another entry!

macswitcha2
Sep 24, 2009, 02:16 AM

I concur! Good experience so far...but not a great one....

macswitcha2
Sep 24, 2009, 02:17 AM

In other words help yall get rich!!! Congrats if you do....

macswitcha2
Sep 24, 2009, 12:34 PM
It seems like no one is receiving my text messages..or I'm not getting theirs...

derek13
Sep 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
It seems like no one is receiving my text messages..or I'm not getting theirs...

It should work. Send an email to support [at] enflick dot com and we'll help you out.

kicko
Sep 24, 2009, 12:54 PM
A few time a week textfree will give me "hmmm cant seem to find the network, try again in a few."

I copy/paste then use USMS to resend the same text immediatly after at the very same location and it has never failed on sending a text. When i have one iphone sending with textfree and the other USMS going head to head, USMS always is deliverys the text faster too.

It's not just hype. It is faster and more reliable.

macswitcha2
Sep 24, 2009, 01:24 PM
It should work. Send an email to support [at] enflick dot com and we'll help you out.

Ok, I got a response from one person but how does the person send me a text apart from a reply?

derek13
Sep 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ok, I got a response from one person but how does the person send me a text apart from a reply?

Go to options > texting address. Setup your texting address. Once that is set, your friends can compose a new text and send it to that address instead of your number (requires them to have a MMS enabled phone).

Angela97
Sep 26, 2009, 11:27 PM
Every time I text using this to a Rogers or Fido user, they get
"Welcome to Rogers Wireless! Please reply read to read and reply to the message!! So on, so on."
Then I, using the phone I texted to, replied Read. Then got charged 15c per message. And that was the same with telus too...?

Eminemdrdre00
Sep 29, 2009, 09:51 AM
I won!!! :) THANK YOU Enflick!

derek13
Sep 30, 2009, 03:55 PM
Update, 09/30/2009:
A little sneak preview of version 3.2!

What is in 3.2:
-Customizable ringtones (free ringtones included plus many purchasable ones)
-Set ringtone for specific conversation - know who texted you without looking
-Set different backgrounds (free backgrounds included plus many purchasable ones)

http://enflick.com/usms-screens/3.2_1.png http://enflick.com/usms-screens/3.2_2.png

http://enflick.com/usms-screens/3.2_3.png

h1w1nd
Sep 30, 2009, 04:53 PM
I won!!! :) THANK YOU Enflick!

Congratulations!

cheapa55
Sep 30, 2009, 06:47 PM
I won!!! :) THANK YOU Enflick! Lucky!!! I'm so jealous. :)

btw, the new beta is awesome. I'm liking this app more and more. Good work Derek.

IronLogik
Sep 30, 2009, 09:04 PM
how about fixing the problems instead of adding frivolous fluff like backgrounds and ringtones? Kinda regretting purchasing the app... if it weren't for the tiny text and glaring usability problems it wouldn't be such a bad deal.

derek13
Oct 1, 2009, 01:04 AM
how about fixing the problems instead of adding frivolous fluff like backgrounds and ringtones? Kinda regretting purchasing the app... if it weren't for the tiny text and glaring usability problems it wouldn't be such a bad deal.

UI enhancements are next on the list. Also, this version makes the text font bigger.

Millennium
Oct 1, 2009, 08:10 AM
Will version 3.2 still show EMAIL URL at the other end? if so I think I should stick with Textfree instead of this. I have asked my friends which look they prefer if U SMS or TEXTFREE and all of them say Textfree for it being cleaner. Hope you are able to see this point. Thanks

kicko
Oct 1, 2009, 10:07 AM
Will version 3.2 still show EMAIL URL at the other end? if so I think I should stick with Textfree instead of this. I have asked my friends which look they prefer if U SMS or TEXTFREE and all of them say Textfree for it being cleaner. Hope you are able to see this point. Thanks

I dont really think it needs much more UI tweaks. The bigger font is perfect now. The only thing i would suggest is making a bigger send button, put the X to minimize the text box to the left side.

I agree the format should be more simple FRM:name
MSG:hello

Millennium
Oct 1, 2009, 12:37 PM
I dont really think it needs much more UI tweaks. The bigger font is perfect now. The only thing i would suggest is making a bigger send button, put the X to minimize the text box to the left side.

I agree the format should be more simple FRM:name
MSG:hello

This is what I am talking about "FRM: Name MSG: Hello". I completely agree with you, the app interface is awesome, I really like it, It looks nice from outside and from the inside. The only problem I have is the email url at the other end, I mean the person who receives the sms txt msg.

sivola
Oct 1, 2009, 12:49 PM
This is what I am talking about "FRM: Name MSG: Hello". I completely agree with you, the app interface is awesome, I really like it, It looks nice from outside and from the inside. The only problem I have is the email url at the other end, I mean the person who receives the sms txt msg.

Agreed, that is the same feedback I have. I don't care too much about my interface, while I prefer to have a receiver not too much confused by the difference from a normal SMS.

kicko
Oct 2, 2009, 10:54 AM
The format is fixed !!!! guys check it out!

Thanks Enflick for listening to us! This is the best choice for unlimited texting.

derek13
Oct 2, 2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks Enflick for listening to us! This is the best choice for unlimited texting.

You beat me to it. :)

We just fixed the formatting this morning. The format is now FRM: name MSG: text as per request.

sidewinder
Oct 2, 2009, 12:04 PM
You beat me to it. :)

We just fixed the formatting this morning. The format is now FRM: name MSG: text as per request.

Perfect!

S-

snaoum
Oct 2, 2009, 02:20 PM
It would be really nice if you can change the text entry box like others have said to one like the native sms app where the text entry is just above the keyboard and DOES NOT cover the last text received. It would also really be nice if the person on the other end got the text saying its from "SAM" instead of SAM@myusms.net.

IronLogik
Oct 2, 2009, 02:42 PM
It would be really nice if you can change the text entry box like others have said to one like the native sms app where the text entry is just above the keyboard and DOES NOT cover the last text received. It would also really be nice if the person on the other end got the text saying its from "SAM" instead of SAM@myusms.net.

Yea. Text Entry seriously needs some work. it's cumbersome at best.

sidewinder
Oct 2, 2009, 03:48 PM
Is there a way to make it so texts I sent to someone without the app or not using an iPhone sees the message as coming from my "name@myusms.net" address instead of some random phone number?

S-

snaoum
Oct 2, 2009, 07:26 PM
Can you also look into adding mms feature?

Millennium
Oct 3, 2009, 07:16 AM

Thank you for listening. This is pretty much all I needed to make this app my main SMS app, once again thank you!.

cheapa55
Oct 3, 2009, 11:53 AM
Can you also look into adding mms feature?

I would like to see this also.

Angela97
Oct 3, 2009, 01:15 PM
Major problem still for Canada, if I text Rogers or Fido, they get a Welcome to Rogers Email to SMS! Then I texted back reply, and they charged me 15c even though I have texting on my phone. Then I used my parent's phones, and they use Bell and Telus, they didn't get the Email to SMS thing, but they still had to pay 15c each, even though they had texting too.

snaoum
Oct 5, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'd also like to see the option to send the text to multiple contacts just like the native sms app where there is a + and you can keep adding more contacts to send 1 message to them all.

Balkski
Oct 14, 2009, 06:29 AM
Is this app working voor jailbroken and unlocked iPhones? Or is push still not working for any app in unlocked iPhones? :confused:

derek13
Oct 14, 2009, 10:18 AM
Is this app working voor jailbroken and unlocked iPhones? Or is push still not working for any app in unlocked iPhones? :confused:

Push notifications for hacktivated iPhones are not officially supported by Apple.

However, I heard of workarounds that you can do to get push working on your hacktivated iPhone.

There is a good article here:
http://www.redmondpie.com/guide-to-fix-push-notifications-on-hacktivated-iphone-3.0/

Hope this helps.

snaoum
Oct 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
When is the update coming out?

derek13
Oct 14, 2009, 03:37 PM
When is the update coming out?

We are still waiting for Apple to approve the update.

snaoum
Oct 15, 2009, 07:40 AM
I see, any idea on approximate date by any chance?

intheBAG
Oct 15, 2009, 11:24 AM
Great forum with great info. I went with Enflick over Textfree. I'll be back to tell you if it works out.

intheBAG
Oct 16, 2009, 01:42 PM
Great forum with great info. I went with Enflick over Textfree. I'll be back to tell you if it works out.

So far not too happy with the U SMS app. Works well less than half the time. Messages get send hours later most of the time. Hope an update can help this.

derek13
Oct 16, 2009, 02:29 PM
So far not too happy with the U SMS app. Works well less than half the time. Messages get send hours later most of the time. Hope an update can help this.

I reconfigured the firewall on our server. Our firewall may have been causing this issue. Can you try again now and see if the problem is resolved for you?

If not, you can email us at support [at] enflick [dot] com directly and we will help you get this problem resolved.

Thanks!

sidewinder
Oct 17, 2009, 01:41 AM
The new version, 3.2.1, is in the app store now. The name changed, as expected, to Textnow Unlimited.

Can we get a summary of new features? The app store still shows the old version.

S-

intheBAG
Oct 17, 2009, 09:48 AM
The new version, 3.2.1, is in the app store now. The name changed, as expected, to Textnow Unlimited.

Can we get a summary of new features? The app store still shows the old version.

S-

There are now backgrounds and ringtones.

derek.. apparently with the update it changed what the receiver of the message sees again. It keeps showing them their own phone. Anyway we can get it back to the way it was? Thanks a lot, keep up the good work.

sidewinder
Oct 17, 2009, 04:37 PM
Derek,

The texting email address changed from "NAME@myusms.net" to "NAME@textnow.me". That's not the best thing to do considering I gave all of my friends the "@myusms.net" address. Will the old address continue to work and, if yes, for how long?

You aren't going to change it again, are you?

S-

Eminemdrdre00
Oct 17, 2009, 04:44 PM
Derek,

The texting email address changed from "NAME@myusms.net" to "NAME@textnow.me". That's not the best thing to do considering I gave all of my friends the "@myusms.net" address. Will the old address continue to work and, if yes, for how long?

You aren't going to change it again, are you?

S-

The old address will work just fine. You can test it by just emailing "NAME@myusms.net" you'll see that you will receive it. I beta tested Textnow and that was the 1st thing I asked Derek.

snaoum
Oct 17, 2009, 07:53 PM
What happened to changing the text entry box, get rid of that ugly entrry box and make it like the native sms app text entry box. Please also consider MMS option and the ability to text the same text to 1+ contacts same time.

PBF
Oct 17, 2009, 08:42 PM
What happened to changing the text entry box, get rid of that ugly entrry box and make it like the native sms app text entry box. Please also consider MMS option and the ability to text the same text to 1+ contacts same time.
That's exactly what I hate about Textnow and Beejive apps. I hope the developer will come up with something very similar to the native Messages app.

Eminemdrdre00
Oct 17, 2009, 10:00 PM
That's exactly what I hate about Textnow and Beejive apps. I hope the developer will come up with something very similar to the native Messages app.

He had something very similar, but Apple rejected it because it was *too* similar.

snaoum
Oct 17, 2009, 10:08 PM
I see. however the text entry box the app has really does stink, looks terrible and covers most recent text.

trihard
Oct 19, 2009, 07:32 AM
Hi,

I recently purchased this app for me (3Gs) and my wife (3G), and she seems to have some problems with it. One problem she has is when she tries to enter a number to SMS to (not from the contacts but just entering it), the send button sometimes deactivates and she can't send it. Is there a specific format the number has to be in (i.e. no hypens, or no parens, or only just 10 digits)?

Sometimes, when she goes to send a text, it says it is sending, but it basically just hangs at that part and she has to quit the app and the text isn't sent.

Are there known issues with the 3G? We ran into these problems yesterday using the latest version (3.1), but she also had it with 3.0.

Thanks in advance.

intheBAG
Oct 19, 2009, 06:15 PM
I see. however the text entry box the app has really does stink, looks terrible and covers most recent text.

That's my only beef at this point. I'm sure Apple rejected the one that is too much like theirs. I think that it would be better if after you sent the message, the box moves up revealing the last one sent or received.

Other than that, the update is good. Still the occasional message that won't send where I have to leave the app and reopen it to send though. It also tends to send messages hours later for whatever reason. My finacÚ keeps getting messages at 3am, which is no good for me :D. The app is definitely progressing though. Fix those two issues and its the best app available.

:cool:

derek13
Oct 20, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased this app for me (3Gs) and my wife (3G), and she seems to have some problems with it. One problem she has is when she tries to enter a number to SMS to (not from the contacts but just entering it), the send button sometimes deactivates and she can't send it. Is there a specific format the number has to be in (i.e. no hypens, or no parens, or only just 10 digits)?

Sometimes, when she goes to send a text, it says it is sending, but it basically just hangs at that part and she has to quit the app and the text isn't sent.

Are there known issues with the 3G? We ran into these problems yesterday using the latest version (3.1), but she also had it with 3.0.

Thanks in advance.

Are you still experiencing this issue? If you are, can you send us an email at support at enflick dot com with your username?

I would like help you resolve this issue.

Thanks.

derek13
Oct 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
That's my only beef at this point. I'm sure Apple rejected the one that is too much like theirs. I think that it would be better if after you sent the message, the box moves up revealing the last one sent or received.

Other than that, the update is good. Still the occasional message that won't send where I have to leave the app and reopen it to send though. It also tends to send messages hours later for whatever reason. My finacÚ keeps getting messages at 3am, which is no good for me :D. The app is definitely progressing though. Fix those two issues and its the best app available.

:cool:

Thanks for suggestions. We are working on them for the next version.

derek13
Oct 21, 2009, 06:25 PM
Update, 10/21/2009:

NemoMac
Oct 22, 2009, 12:20 AM
Google Voice Integration! :eek:

Best App ever! Thanks Derek, you are awesome!

IronLogik
Oct 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
Update, 10/21/2009:

I wouldn't call that "Integration" that's more like Google Voice happens to allow for forwarding to an email address. Of which we "get" with the textnow.me address. Integration would mean build in support for it by typing in my GV username/password like GV Mobile or VoiceCentral did.

NemoMac
Oct 22, 2009, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't call that "Integration" that's more like Google Voice happens to allow for forwarding to an email address. Of which we "get" with the textnow.me address. Integration would mean build in support for it by typing in my GV username/password like GV Mobile or VoiceCentral did.

Well, the creator of the program has integrated a way to use your GV number in addition to an email address. By definition, that would be integration.

derek13
Oct 22, 2009, 02:35 PM
If anyone is interested in getting extra ringtones and backgrounds for Textnow FOR FREE before Apple approves the in-app purchases, contact me at derek[at]enflick dot com. ($10 value altogether!)

derek13
Oct 23, 2009, 10:53 AM

By integration, I mean whenever you get a Google Voice SMS, it automatically links with your address book without requiring you to add the long Google Voice email to your contact.

rburly
Oct 23, 2009, 11:50 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I bought this app last week and sent several texts to a friend and she just got one of them two days ago. Not sure what the problem is/was, but I deleted the app the day after I bought it.

derek13
Oct 23, 2009, 11:55 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I bought this app last week and sent several texts to a friend and she just got one of them two days ago. Not sure what the problem is/was, but I deleted the app the day after I bought it.

We had some issues with the sever last week. The problem should be fixed now. Can you try again and let me know if you still have issues?

dread
Oct 23, 2009, 01:01 PM
We had some issues with the sever last week. The problem should be fixed now. Can you try again and let me know if you still have issues?

tested the free version last night with my wife. Neither of us received the texts we sent. I'm glad I didn't pay for the full version. Nevermind this was the other text app. my apologies.

derek13
Oct 23, 2009, 01:06 PM
tested the free version last night with my wife. Neither of us received the texts we sent. I'm glad I didn't pay for the full version.

We don't offer a free version. Are you referring to our competition "Textfree"?

dread
Oct 23, 2009, 01:08 PM
We don't offer a free version. Are you referring to our competition "Textfree"?

Yeah I just realized that. My apologies. Maybe I will give your app a try. At least you know the competition doesn't have a functioning app.

hitekalex
Oct 23, 2009, 01:30 PM

Unfortunately Apple has banned all "native" Google Voice apps (like GV Mobile) from the App Store. This may change at some point in the future.

My ideal "free SMS" app would be something like GV Mobile w/Push. This will completely obsolete all the apps that take advantage of SMS-to-Email gateways. I am still hopeful we will see real Google Voice app with Push re-appear in App Store.

KidStallyn
Oct 23, 2009, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately Apple has banned all "native" Google Voice apps (like GV Mobile) from the App Store. This may change at some point in the future.

My ideal "free SMS" app would be something like GV Mobile w/Push. This will completely obsolete all the apps that take advantage of SMS-to-Email gateways. I am still hopeful we will see real Google Voice app with Push re-appear in App Store.

I'm using Google Voice, forwarding my txts to my textfree.us email. TextFree Unlimited has full push notifications. When I get a txt on my Google Voice number, it get's forwarded to my txt free, which gives my instant push notification, just like the native txt app. When I reply, it goes through google voice, back to the person who sent the text. and it's all threading properly, just like the native app, which is AWESOME!

derek13
Oct 23, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm using Google Voice, forwarding my txts to my textfree.us email. TextFree Unlimited has full push notifications. When I get a txt on my Google Voice number, it get's forwarded to my txt free, which gives my instant push notification, just like the native push app. When I reply, it goes through google voice, back to the person who sent the text. and it's all threading properly, just like the native app, which is AWESOME!

You can do that with Textnow as well. The best thing is that you don't have to add that long Google Voice email address to the address book for every single contact. It automatically links with the phone numbers in your address book.

hitekalex
Oct 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
I'm using Google Voice, forwarding my txts to my textfree.us email. TextFree Unlimited has full push notifications. When I get a txt on my Google Voice number, it get's forwarded to my txt free, which gives my instant push notification, just like the native push app. When I reply, it goes through google voice, back to the person who sent the text. and it's all threading properly, just like the native app, which is AWESOME!

Yeah it's not bad, but there is still some hackery involved.. Before reaching you, the SMS goes through several gateways, i.e:

SMS-Sender -> gVoice SMS Gateway -> eMail -> TextFree Gateway -> You

All this increases the chances of your SMS getting lost or delayed.. A native push-enabled gVoice app eliminates the need for eMail/TextFree/Textnow gateways. So that's what I am hoping for.

derek13
Oct 23, 2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah it's not bad, but there is still some hackery involved.. Before reaching you, the SMS goes through several gateways, i.e:

SMS-Sender -> gVoice SMS Gateway -> eMail -> TextFree Gateway -> You

All this increases the chances of your SMS getting lost or delayed.. A native push-enabled gVoice app eliminates the need for eMail/TextFree/Textnow gateways. So that's what I am hoping for.

I have been using Textnow with my GV account and it is fast, no messages delayed or lost.

I am sure someone could chime in here and back me up. :)

intheBAG
Oct 23, 2009, 05:58 PM
I have been using Textnow with my GV account and it is fast, no messages delayed or lost.

I got your back haha. The app is rocking. Loving the Google Voice addition. Every now and again I still get a message that won't send, but luckily not too often. Any new updates on the way derek?

MUCKYFINGERS
Oct 25, 2009, 06:12 AM
Love it, and the app works great with Google Voice!

Angelo921
Oct 25, 2009, 08:33 AM
Love it, and the app works great with Google Voice!

this app isnt free. its $4.99

MUCKYFINGERS
Oct 25, 2009, 03:23 PM
this app isnt free. its $4.99

I'm aware it's not free but I didn't mind paying a one-time fee of $4.99 if it meant I could streamline my Google Voice texts more efficiently.

Angelo921
Oct 25, 2009, 06:33 PM

What exactly is the benefit of forwarding your GV texts to your textfree.us email? Is it so you dont have to pay your wireless provider for text messaging on your plan?

MUCKYFINGERS
Oct 26, 2009, 01:13 AM
What exactly is the benefit of forwarding your GV texts to your textfree.us email? Is it so you dont have to pay your wireless provider for text messaging on your plan?

Pretty much, yep.

Pika
Oct 26, 2009, 05:46 AM
I want the ROGERS support for canada.

derek13
Oct 26, 2009, 01:32 PM
I want the ROGERS support for canada.

Are you using Rogers or do you want to text to people who have Rogers?

Pika
Oct 26, 2009, 02:23 PM
I am using Rogers and I purchased the app yesterday and it didn't work.

derek13
Oct 26, 2009, 02:35 PM
I am using Rogers and I purchased the app yesterday and it didn't work.

Send me an email (derek at enflick dot com) with your username and I will look into the issue for you.

Thanks!

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
I have a couple questions about the app.

I notice that I can initiate a SMS from within the app to one of my contacts. If I do that will that person show that is coming from my GV number since I have my SMS forwarded to my textnow.me email address?

derek13
Oct 26, 2009, 04:40 PM
I have a couple questions about the app.

I notice that I can initiate a SMS from within the app to one of my contacts. If I do that will that person show that is coming from my GV number since I have my SMS forwarded to my textnow.me email address?

It will if the person has sent a text before to your GV number.

So basically, what you should do is give all your friends your GV number to text to and eventually all texts you initiate to them will go through your GV number.

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2009, 04:45 PM
It will if the person has sent a text before to your GV number.

So basically, what you should do is give all your friends your GV number to text to and eventually all texts you initiate to them will go through your GV number.

thanks for the quick response. By any chance do you still have the extra ringtones and backgrounds to give out?

derek13
Oct 26, 2009, 05:54 PM
thanks for the quick response. By any chance do you still have the extra ringtones and backgrounds to give out?

Yes, we do. :)

Update, 10/26/2009:
When you refer 3 friends to download Textnow, get all premium ringtones and backgrounds FOR FREE before Apple approves the in-app purchases!
More info at our blog: http://blog.enflick.com/?p=41

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, we do. :)

Update, 10/26/2009:
When you refer 3 friends to download Textnow, get all premium ringtones and backgrounds FOR FREE before Apple approves the in-app purchases!
More info at our blog: http://blog.enflick.com/?p=41

do i need to pay for this app again if i want to install it also on my wifes iphone if i were to use the same itunes account that I first purchased it with?

lllll
Oct 26, 2009, 07:34 PM
1. Both parties do not have to own the app. However, if both parties own the app, you have the option to bypass the carrier and the messages come much quicker. If both parties have the app, neither party will be charged.

2. Both parties do not have to subscribe to a text plan. However, if only one party has the app, at least one party has to be able to receive text messages.

This alone is a powerful apps I'm going to abuse. :D I do not need to read further.

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2009, 07:52 PM
This alone is a powerful apps I'm going to abuse. :D I do not need to read further.

What about being able to install the app on my wides iPhone using the same iTunes account without having to buy the app again for her iPhone.

lllll
Oct 26, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yup, I am one of the developers.

Ok, I like it so far but haven't download it yet because of the $4.99. (do you have a promote code that can persuade me?) :D

What I would like to see is the ability to multi-text. is there such a thing? is it already on the apps? I haven't download so I don't know. Since texting is like twitter where people pretend to be mute and deaf. Do you think you can incorporate some disability stuff into this thing? Then make it that your texts can be read in your Twitter page. Well, I know there's already a twitter apps,,but let's make this one unique. You can text and post it to Twitter at the same time. why? it doesn't have to make any sense. It just fun. and save time from going to Twitter Apps. :D

I just realize something awesome for Deaf people. if two deaf people buy the new iPod Touch and download this apps. They are no longer deaf. If the deaf person has an ipod touch with this apps and his brother has an iPhone, deaf no longer applies.

titaniummd
Oct 26, 2009, 08:28 PM
Derek

I sent the user name of my account on Textnow.

Anyways, one complaint of my friends who receive the messages is that they don't get their messages under the same conversation. Is there a fix for that? How do I use MMS with this?

Rick

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
all off a sudden this evening someone who was sending me SMS messages earlier in the day is texting me again and now im getting 1 copy of the SMS in the text program and 1 copy in my regular iphone SMS. Why is this happening?

Angelo921
Oct 27, 2009, 06:22 AM
anyone know why this is happening all off a sudden?

NemoMac
Oct 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
all off a sudden this evening someone who was sending me SMS messages earlier in the day is texting me again and now im getting 1 copy of the SMS in the text program and 1 copy in my regular iphone SMS. Why is this happening?

Angelo, is their phone sending you a multi-text, to both your Textnow.me address and your cell phone number?

Or do you have Google Voice, where the settings forward the text to your Textnow.me email address as well as your regular cell phone number?

The way you ask that question without giving any details of your setup makes it hard to figure out. Gotta have some details!

snaoum
Oct 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
When is the update coming out that will fix the text entry? Is there anyway this app can intercept texts going to native SMS app so I can get it in Textnow if I jailbreak?

derek13
Oct 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
When is the update coming out that will fix the text entry? Is there anyway this app can intercept texts going to native SMS app so I can get it in Textnow if I jailbreak?

Fix for the text entry is scheduled for the next update.

As for intercepting texts from the default Messsages app, the iPhone SDK does not give us the ability to do so.

snaoum
Oct 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
Derek can you post a picture of what the text entry will look like? I'm very curious.

derek13
Oct 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
Derek can you post a picture of what the text entry will look like? I'm very curious.

It is not ready to be shown yet. However, we will post some screenshots of v3.3 when it is approaching ready. Follow us on twitter to get updated. From now on, all our new updates and blog posts will be on our Twitter feed as well.

Angelo921
Oct 27, 2009, 10:11 AM
Angelo, is their phone sending you a multi-text, to both your Textnow.me address and your cell phone number?

Or do you have Google Voice, where the settings forward the text to your Textnow.me email address as well as your regular cell phone number?

The way you ask that question without giving any details of your setup makes it hard to figure out. Gotta have some details!

Whatever the problem was it has resolved itself this morning without me or the 2 people that were texting me changing anything on their end. I didnt list any of my settings because it was working fine yesterday during the day and then at night the problem started without anything being changed in my GV settings as well as the settings for the 2 individuals who were texting me.

psywzrd
Oct 27, 2009, 01:28 PM
Is there a video anywhere that shows this app in action?

vega07
Oct 27, 2009, 01:38 PM
I would love to try out this app and it's Google Voice integration but I already spent $5.99 on Textfree long ago and can't justify spending another 5 bucks.

I am interested to try out how long the app takes to load as well.

:D derek13, any promo codes? ;)

kicko
Oct 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
I would love to try out this app and it's Google Voice integration but I already spent $5.99 on Textfree long ago and can't justify spending another 5 bucks.

I am interested to try out how long the app takes to load as well.

:D derek13, any promo codes? ;)

Dont be so cheap and support developers hard work, you think it doesn't cost them either? I have both textfree and textnow, I never open textfree anymore.

psywzrd
Oct 27, 2009, 03:10 PM
Does this program use the stock contacts app? In other words, if I have an entry in my contacts app for "John Smith" and his cell phone number is in there, can I just select that number from my contacts app and easily send a text to John Smith? Or does this app maintain its own address book?

kicko
Oct 27, 2009, 03:31 PM
Does this program use the stock contacts app? In other words, if I have an entry in my contacts app for "John Smith" and his cell phone number is in there, can I just select that number from my contacts app and easily send a text to John Smith? Or does this app maintain its own address book?

Your own native address book.

psywzrd
Oct 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
Your own native address book.

Thanks for replying. I wish I could see a video of this app in action or something. I found one video on YouTube where the guy talks about the app and recommends it but he doesn't even show himself using the app. Kind of pointless. It might be a good idea for the developer to post a video on youtube and/or their own website so that people can see what the app looks like while it's being used. The reviews seem very positive though.

efp1
Oct 28, 2009, 05:02 AM
I would love to purchase this app but I can't since it's only available in the States :(

I even have a GV account and text my family back in the States. This would be a perfect app for me.

kicko
Oct 28, 2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks for replying. I wish I could see a video of this app in action or something. I found one video on YouTube where the guy talks about the app and recommends it but he doesn't even show himself using the app. Kind of pointless. It might be a good idea for the developer to post a video on youtube and/or their own website so that people can see what the app looks like while it's being used. The reviews seem very positive though.

Its works pretty much as advertised. Its is the best overall SMS app in itunes. You can text all your contacts for free and they can reply back or start a SMS using your assigned name@textnow.me. As long as they use the @textme.now it will always be sent to the app. at no cost to you.

psywzrd
Oct 29, 2009, 05:48 PM
Ok - so I bought this app for my niece and installed it on her Touch. She picked her user name and sent me a text and I got it (it showed up with that random number along with her name and the message). I replied to it but she didn't get the reply on her Touch. Any idea what could be wrong? Also, is there any way to prevent that random # from showing?

derek13
Oct 29, 2009, 05:52 PM
Ok - so I bought this app for my niece and installed it on her Touch. She picked her user name and sent me a text and I got it (it showed up with that random number along with her name and the message). I replied to it but she didn't get the reply on her Touch. Any idea what could be wrong? Also, is there any way to prevent that random # from showing?

Can you email me your username and the number you are using to text with to derek at enflick dot com?

We'll investigate this issue for you.

psywzrd
Oct 29, 2009, 05:56 PM
Can you email me your username and the number you are using to text with to derek at enflick dot com?

We'll investigate this issue for you.

Which # are you referring to? My phone #? It's weird because when I replied to her message, she never got it; however, when I sent her a new message from my phone she did get that.

Also, when she got the message from me it shows my phone number followed by @.m... Is there any way for my name to show up on her Touch rather than a #? She young so she needs to see the name to know who it's from.

derek13
Oct 29, 2009, 05:59 PM
Which # are you referring to? My phone #? It's weird because when I replied to her message, she never got it; however, when I sent her a new message from my phone she did get that.

Also, when she got the message from me it shows my phone number followed by @.m... Is there any way for my name to show up on her Touch rather than a #? She young so she needs to see the name to know who it's from.
Yeah, your phone#. I need it to troubleshoot what is going on.

As to get your name to show up, add an entry of yourself in the Address Book of her iPod and the app will automatically pick it up.

psywzrd
Oct 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah, your phone#. I need it to troubleshoot what is going on.

As to get your name to show up, add an entry of yourself in the Address Book of her iPod and the app will automatically pick it up.

I did add my name and number to her address book. She can pick my name out of the address book and send a message but it doesn't show up that way on her Touch when she gets a message from me. And I again just tried to reply to a message she sent me and she's not getting the reply. I did email you my# and I'm on AT&T if that matters.

Angelo921
Oct 29, 2009, 09:22 PM
Is there a way this app can receive or send MMS? If not will that be available in the future?

MUCKYFINGERS
Oct 30, 2009, 04:43 PM
Is there anyway to get timestamps on the SMS?

Angelo921
Oct 30, 2009, 04:56 PM

Is there a way this app can receive or send MMS? If not will that be available in the future?

derek13
Oct 30, 2009, 05:39 PM

That will come out in the next update.

derek13
Oct 30, 2009, 05:40 PM

We will look into it. However, we have no definite answer for MMS support yet.

intheBAG
Oct 31, 2009, 07:48 PM
Have there been server issues lately? I'm having problems sending messages. I end up having to exit the app, reopen it, then retype the message.

Angelo921
Oct 31, 2009, 08:29 PM
Have there been server issues lately? I'm having problems sending messages. I end up having to exit the app, reopen it, then retype the message.

I've been having the same problem.

johnnyxhuynh
Nov 1, 2009, 01:38 AM
Lovin' the Google Voice integration. THANKS!!!

derek13
Nov 1, 2009, 09:20 AM

Are you guys still experiencing issues? Any server issues should be resolved now.

johnnyxhuynh
Nov 1, 2009, 12:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Are you guys still experiencing issues? Any server issues should be resolved now.

I've actually started experiencing problems sending this morning. I type a message, press send, and then it hangs at the "Sending Text Message" screen. I'm using Textnow to send/receive SMS via Google Voice. Any thoughts?

MUCKYFINGERS
Nov 1, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm using textnow with google voice as well and Textnow keeps saying it's "Updating..." when I start the program. I also get an "error connecting to server" message and I can't send any texts.

johnnyxhuynh
Nov 1, 2009, 01:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm using textnow with google voice as well and Textnow keeps saying it's "Updating..." when I start the program. I also get an "error connecting to server" message and I can't send any texts.

This is also happening to me. Wow... Yesterday, everything was working great. What's happened???

jon8
Nov 1, 2009, 02:17 PM

The issue you are seeing should now be resolved - we had a temporary problem on the server. Thanks for reporting it.

MUCKYFINGERS
Nov 1, 2009, 03:56 PM
The issue you are seeing should now be resolved - we had a temporary problem on the server. Thanks for reporting it.

Thank you for your quick response. Works perfectly now.

Angelo921
Nov 1, 2009, 07:55 PM
It's working better now. Thanks

ncgbrown
Nov 5, 2009, 09:24 AM
Derek,
Thanks for all the work you have put in to get GV integration working. I use it now exclusively for texting.

The only real issue that I have is the Caller ID. I have initiated a GV chat via the GV web interface and my friends are texting my GV # but when their messages show up Textnow is displaying their phone number and not their name. ( instead of 'John Doe' I'm getting 2438654304 )

It doesn't seem to matter if it is a first text or a reply to mine.

Is there any fix for this?

Also, is there a way to text multiple contacts at once?

Again, thanks for all the work - love the app!
G

derek13
Nov 5, 2009, 10:24 AM
Derek,
Thanks for all the work you have put in to get GV integration working. I use it now exclusively for texting.

The only real issue that I have is the Caller ID. I have initiated a GV chat via the GV web interface and my friends are texting my GV # but when their messages show up Textnow is displaying their phone number and not their name. ( instead of 'John Doe' I'm getting 2438654304 )

It doesn't seem to matter if it is a first text or a reply to mine.

Is there any fix for this?

Also, is there a way to text multiple contacts at once?

Again, thanks for all the work - love the app!
G

You can fix the problem by adding their phone number in your Address Book. Textnow looks up the number in the Address Book to get the name of the person. If you already have the number added in the Address Book, make sure it is using one of the default labels, not a custom label.

Eminemdrdre00
Nov 6, 2009, 02:30 PM
Derek just posted a new blog post highlighting the new features of the next Textnow release. Can't wait!
http://blog.enflick.com/?p=55

sidewinder
Nov 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
Derek just posted a new blog post highlighting the new features of the next Textnow release. Can't wait!
http://blog.enflick.com/?p=55

This app just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait for the new features!!

S-

titaniummd
Nov 7, 2009, 10:48 AM
Derek,

I love this app. My recipients are complaining that the messages are coming across on their iPhones, as separate Conversations. I know you had said that this was how each wireless company handles messages, but is there any work around?

I will continue to use this app and I have found it very useful for my purposes. For my use, it keeps the conversations just how I need them to be kept. I use the car crash ringtone which has startled me when driving, though. LOL