Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Just bought this today after paying $5.99 for TextFree. It was very slow today and unreliable. Plus it loaded texts very slow. Unlimited SMS has a great UI and seems very quick! The only issue with the Push Notifications is it just displays the message "Lets get lunch". I'd like to to say "Bob: Lets get lunch". Any plans on having the sender's name appear on the notification?

And a minor request...the icon for Unlimited SMS is SO much better looking than TextFree's. Would be cool if you could make the background green like the official SMS app. Would Apple whine about that?

But really other than not displaying the sender's name on the push notificatons, I've been very happy with this app. Its a lot better than TextFree and I'd love to beta test! I contacted you on Twitter. You can PM me here too if you need me.

h1w1nd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2009
Derek!

Should I send e-mail's to you regards to the beta with problems i find or goto Ting interactive and create a ticket?

Thanks

h1w1nd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2009
This app keeps getting better and better! Derek has done an amazing job. I've used Text+ and TextFree and I can honestly say I like U-SMS 100x better! :D

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Update, 08/28/2009:
U SMS version 3.1 has been submitted to the app store.
This version includes the ability to pick your own username@myusms.net address and also displays the contact name in push notifications.

6.png

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Hey Derek.

I've quickly learned after beta testing for a bit, this is a great app.

Just one suggestion/request --

For sending texts, if we could have it so the app shows a specific display name of our choosing (e.g. just our first name or whatever) instead of email address to the recipient, that would be huge! It would avoid confusion as to who is sending them a text, imo. I know that textfree has that "feature", and I'm really hoping you guys can add it in with USMS because I like your app so much more!

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
For sending texts, if we could have it so the app shows a specific display name of our choosing (e.g. just our first name or whatever) instead of email address to the recipient, that would be huge! It would avoid confusion as to who is sending them a text, imo. I know that textfree has that "feature", and I'm really hoping you guys can add it in with USMS because I like your app so much more!

We have fixed this server-side. Let us know how it is for you now. We appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

two questions- how can a friend on a dumbphone initiate the conversation to me and it go straight to U SMS? I assume it will be done with the 3.1 email thing... but I don't understand how. Can you explain?

Also, (I haven't downloaded yet), but I have heard that the push notification uses the ping sound like for an email. This is too quiet, and is easy to confuse with email. Will that be changed, or more preferably have an option allowing us to change the sound to one of several options??

Thanks!

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
two questions- how can a friend on a dumbphone initiate the conversation to me and it go straight to U SMS? I assume it will be done with the 3.1 email thing... but I don't understand how. Can you explain?

Also, (I haven't downloaded yet), but I have heard that the push notification uses the ping sound like for an email. This is too quiet, and is easy to confuse with email. Will that be changed, or more preferably have an option allowing us to change the sound to one of several options??

Thanks!

Any friend with any phone should be able to text you using username@myusms.net. This will be supported in 3.1 when Apple approves our update. Basically, instead of entering in your phone number, they will just enter in username@myusms.net when they send a new text message from their phone. They can also put it in their address book for convenience.

As for the push notification, our app uses the same sound as the SMS notification sound. The quieter email one is when you are in the app and just downloaded a new message. We will work on eliminating redundant notifications and make the one in the app louder.

I hope I answered your questions. If anything is still unclear to you, let me know. :)

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
better on the server fix but i'm not sure it needs the senders name twice.

example FRM:name@myusms.net
MSG:name:hello there

Myself i would prefer

FRM:name@myusms.net
MSG:hello there

or

FRM: (name)name@myusms.net including both user name and address

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
This is the first I've heard of this app, and it looks/sounds fantastic. How does AT&T allow this to exist? Before I get flamed for that question, I do understand that AT&T has no direct approval authority over apps in the App Store, but I would think they'd have some agreement with Apple so that Apple wouldn't approve something like this, which directly hurts AT&T in the wallet. If the app works like it sounds like it does, it will save me $30 per month! Pretty freakin' cool, that.

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
We have fixed this server-side. Let us know how it is for you now. We appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

Cool, thanks!

Myself i would prefer

or

Hmm, I haven't tested out this latest change yet, but based on what you have said, I would prefer it like this --

FRM: user name (name@myusms.net)
MSG: hello there

Is this possible, Derek?

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
This is the first I've heard of this app, and it looks/sounds fantastic. How does AT&T allow this to exist? Before I get flamed for that question, I do understand that AT&T has no direct approval authority over apps in the App Store, but I would think they'd have some agreement with Apple so that Apple wouldn't approve something like this, which directly hurts AT&T in the wallet. If the app works like it sounds like it does, it will save me $30 per month! Pretty freakin' cool, that.

I think since this app uses data to send/receive the text messages, there shouldn't be a problem with AT&T.

But yes, it does work like it sounds, great app.

I think the only "downside" to this app in comparison to the AT&T texting plan is when the other person initiates a conversation, they need to know to send it to the @myusms.net, otherwise the text will go through as a regular text, and you will be charged (if you don't have a texting plan). Derek said earlier it's unfortunately not possible for developers to intercept those messages and have it go to the USMS app. But that's only a "problem" when the other person doesn't know, and after you tell them to send future texts to your @myusms.net address, you should be all set. I mean, say 50 people text you when you don't have a texting plan, and they don't send to your @mysms.net address, that's $10. However, after you tell all of them where to send the texts, there shouldn't be a problem, and you save a TON of money! Definitely one of my favorite apps!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I am wondering for a future update if there could be a badge in the corner of the app icon when you unlock your phone that alerts you of an unread text message (i.e. exactly like the standard text app that comes with the iPhone). Currently, when my girlfriend sends me a text through the app, the push notification pops up, but if I get a text from a friend of mine (or another push notification) when I unlock the phone, there is nothing telling me I have an unread message within the app. Thus, I may forget to respond if I were not to see that alert. Just a suggestion for a possible future update.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My gf and I both have this app. After we purchased it, we tested it out to see how long it took for each of us to receive the other's message. It literally took a few seconds. Practically equal the amount of time it takes to receive a standard SMS message via the included text msg app. Now I obviously can't vouch for how long it takes to receive a text when the other person is not using the app.

My gf and I both have this app. After we purchased it, we tested it out to see how long it took for each of us to receive the other's message. It literally took a few seconds. Practically equal the amount of time it takes to receive a standard SMS message via the included text msg app. Now I obviously can't vouch for how long it takes to receive a text when the other person is not using the app.

Just as fast sending/receiving as regular texts for me (including people who don't have the app).

and the same results when using push?

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
and the same results when using push?

Yup.

For me, this app is just as good as the regular native text message app on the iphone. Only thing I'm currently hoping for right now is the slight change in the way your display name is shown to recipients when you are sending messages.

I'm sure some other changes would be nice (maybe group messaging?), but for what I need out of a texting app (fast sending/receiving, nice UI, reliability, unlimited texting without having to pay a monthly/yearly fee), this app is perfect for me.

Oh, I also think ratbatblue's suggestion for badge updates like how the native text messaging app would be very useful, too.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I get the same results as tbm248. This app really is just as good as the native text msg app for the iPhone.

I also am hoping for badge updates especially since I have quite a few apps that have "push" notifications and it could be easy to just to forget about the SMS message in the app if there is no badge alerting me of an unread msg.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I get the typical push notification. However, for example, last night, I got a text from my girlfriend, and shortly after that I received a push notification from the MLB app. Once I unlocked my phone, there was no notification in the U SMS app alerting me that I had an unread text message. In the native text app, you typically have a # in the right corner alerting you how many unread texts you have. So unless I'm missing something, I don't have the badge notification after I slide to unlock my phone and am on the first home screen.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario

Myself i would prefer

or

Cool, thanks!

Hmm, I haven't tested out this latest change yet, but based on what you have said, I would prefer it like this --

FRM: user name (name@myusms.net)
MSG: hello there

Is this possible, Derek?

We will work on this.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
I am wondering for a future update if there could be a badge in the corner of the app icon when you unlock your phone that alerts you of an unread text message (i.e. exactly like the standard text app that comes with the iPhone). Currently, when my girlfriend sends me a text through the app, the push notification pops up, but if I get a text from a friend of mine (or another push notification) when I unlock the phone, there is nothing telling me I have an unread message within the app. Thus, I may forget to respond if I were not to see that alert. Just a suggestion for a possible future update.

The badge notifications should work. Is badge notifications for the app turned on in Settings > Notifications?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.