PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Special Media Event on September 22nd?

MacRumors
Aug 10, 2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/10/tomtom-special-media-event-on-september-22nd/)

"Brightsite", the Twitter account of Dutch site Bright.nl (http://www.bright.nl/), reports (http://twitter.com/Brightsite/status/3225317668) that TomTom has sent out a brief invitation to a special media event scheduled for September 22nd. iPhoneclub.nl reprints (http://www.iphoneclub.nl/32981/tomtom-gaat-op-22-september-toekomst-van-navigatie-onthullen/) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.iphoneclub.nl/32981/tomtom-gaat-op-22-september-toekomst-van-navigatie-onthullen/)] the text of the invitation in its entirety:Dear Journalist,

"TomTom will reveal the future of navigation to you" on Tuesday, the 22nd of September (from 10:30 am until 2 pm) ... Save the date!

More information to follow soon!

Warm regards,

The TomTom PR team!While no mention of the much-anticipated TomTom for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/07/more-details-on-tomtom-for-iphone-emerge/) hardware/software solution is made in the invitation, speculation is unsurprisingly touching on the introduction of the company's iPhone offerings as a possible topic for the event.

Article Link: TomTom Special Media Event on September 22nd? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/10/tomtom-special-media-event-on-september-22nd/)

tobefirst
Aug 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
I hope the keynote isn't three and a half hours! (:

mikeinternet
Aug 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
"the future of navigation"

Big claim. Don't let us down.

Rsquare.OB
Aug 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
Tom Tom is too late. I just ordered a stand-a-lone Tom Tom 4.3" for $145.00. Why pay for an untested app, extra mount that can't be used unless my iPHone is naked, etc. Plus, I get free map updates.

vvebsta
Aug 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
what a drag...i hate waiting :mad:

just release the dang thing already!!!

Randman
Aug 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
Bought Navigon. Am happy. Screw Sept 22.

army91c
Aug 10, 2009, 03:59 PM
I think a lot of people that were holding out for tom tom just decided to buy another "proven" iPhone app. You snooz you lose tt.

nfl46
Aug 10, 2009, 04:04 PM
22nd. That's a long time, lol. Gosh.

countrydweller
Aug 10, 2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/10/tomtom-special-media-event-on-september-22nd/)

"Brightsite", the Twitter account of Dutch site Bright.nl (http://www.bright.nl/), reports (http://twitter.com/Brightsite/status/3225317668) that TomTom has sent out a brief invitation to a special media event scheduled for September 22nd. iPhoneclub.nl reprints (http://www.iphoneclub.nl/32981/tomtom-gaat-op-22-september-toekomst-van-navigatie-onthullen/) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.iphoneclub.nl/32981/tomtom-gaat-op-22-september-toekomst-van-navigatie-onthullen/)] the text of the invitation in its entirety:While no mention of the much-anticipated TomTom for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/07/more-details-on-tomtom-for-iphone-emerge/) hardware/software solution is made in the invitation, speculation is unsurprisingly touching on the introduction of the company's iPhone offerings as a possible topic for the event.

Article Link: TomTom Special Media Event on September 22nd? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/10/tomtom-special-media-event-on-september-22nd/)

Last day of summer, I wonder if they'll release something or just say we didn't make it in time?

Zincous
Aug 10, 2009, 04:06 PM
Same day as Apple's keynote possibly? :rolleyes:

iPod touch 3rd gen, tablet, snow leopard etc.....:eek::D

normwood
Aug 10, 2009, 04:06 PM
Note to self....download Navigon tonight. TomTom is a day late and $69 short. :cool:

Steve

Rsquare.OB
Aug 10, 2009, 04:09 PM
"Over promise and under deliver" . . . . often the bane of our connected world.

KidStallyn
Aug 10, 2009, 04:12 PM
wake me up when we get there.......Right now I have a whole alot of I really don't care since it's over a month and a half away.......

They lost all their excitement when they didn't release it within a week of OS 3.0.

Doctor Q
Aug 10, 2009, 04:13 PM
They are late to the party, so let's hope they come in with a big splash.

meagain
Aug 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
Like watching paint dry. Of course this will be after Navigon raises their prices (if they've not done so already).

Rayfire
Aug 10, 2009, 04:26 PM
Wow that is late summer :rolleyes:

bbplayer5
Aug 10, 2009, 04:28 PM
No offense, but a company that takes THIS long to produce a product doesnt deserve my business. Imagine how long it will take them to pump out a software update... Jesus...

dkhenkin
Aug 10, 2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah screw that. I have been waiting since the tomtom app was announced but the wait is getting ridiculous. I will wait till the 14th before the Navigon app goes full price to buy the TomTom app.

Cartoonkid
Aug 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
I think a lot of people that were holding out for tom tom just decided to buy another "proven" iPhone app. You snooz you lose tt.

+1 Come on, Tom Tom. You've been making standalones for how long now? I realize that doesn't necessarily equate to an overnight iPhone app, but DAMN! All the hard work was done a long time ago.

iphones4evry1
Aug 10, 2009, 04:54 PM

Agreed. That is a big statement.

Tunnelrunner
Aug 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm still getting the app but I can't blame any of you for giving up on TomTom.

I'm still hoping Garmin crashes the iPhone GPS party next. :D

eawmp1
Aug 10, 2009, 04:56 PM

Fools - it won't be "proven" until after it has been released and tested

They are late to the party, so let's hope they come in with a big splash.

Unfortunately for them, they are diving into a dried-up pool.

1) Current apps (e.g. Navigon) working great on iPhone
2) Wow - a mount...that you can only use without a case...brilliant
3) Who doesn't already have a charger in the car?
4) ? costly

UNLESS this is the iPhone of iPhone navigation apps, Tom Tom will never regain market share it lost by being late to the party.

Scooterman1
Aug 10, 2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe they'll have it right when it releases.
People are saying Navigon over G-MAP, but I don't have the problems with G-Map that I'm reading with Navigon.

It could possible benefit Tom Tom in the long run if their price is competitive, and most all of the Reviews are positive.

dkhenkin
Aug 10, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm really pissed off with TomTom on this whole iPhone thing. How can they announce their GPS product then be beaten by 4 other competitors to the app store. Do they have mentally handicapped people running their business strategy division? They must understand how much business they have lost because of this absurdity.

They should have just released the app already despite whether the mount was ready or not. They are ****ing retarded.

SFStateStudent
Aug 10, 2009, 05:30 PM
Definitely LATE to the dance; my iPhone doesn't need a load of expensive crap to make it look like some Tom Tom Navigation box. I'll just get the real thing and hope it doesn't get ripped-off from my car.....:eek::eek::eek:

coolbreeze
Aug 10, 2009, 05:36 PM
"Late summer" = lost sale to Navigon.

TomTom must be scrambling with their programming, etc. I don't trust them. It's taking way too long.

I'm going to buy Navigon and ignore the drama that is TomTom.

Way to go guys.

rikers_mailbox
Aug 10, 2009, 05:38 PM
Sept 22 = Tuesday = new apple stuff!

djdole
Aug 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
More info to be posted here (http://iphone.tomtom.com/)?
Or are they actually saying this will be the expected release to App store date?

iCAR
Aug 10, 2009, 06:01 PM
TOM TOM too late= new garmin tonight
If they take this long, imagine when the app needs an update, screw that!!!

army91c
Aug 10, 2009, 06:02 PM
Fools - it won't be "proven" until after it has been released and tested.

Ummmmm.... what are you talking about? The "proven" apps of which I speak are released and tested. Navagon, Sygic, G-map.... reading comprehension is not your strong point huh. :rolleyes:

azajohns
Aug 10, 2009, 06:02 PM
At least with all this testing time it will be totally bug free!

(Shyeah right.)

eawmp1
Aug 10, 2009, 06:09 PM
Ummmmm.... what are you talking about? The "proven" apps of which I speak are released and tested. Navagon, Sygic, G-map.... reading comprehension is not your strong point huh. :rolleyes:

LOL at self - evidently, in middle age my ability to multitask is shot. Quickly read and misinterpreted that people were thinking that Tom Tom was proven. Ergo, my assinine statement. Sorry if I missed your gist. I was not calling you the fool.
:o

londonmystery
Aug 10, 2009, 06:31 PM

Don't forget Copilot in the Uk with a US release imminent, cheaper than all the above and works brilliantly. :):)

miketcool
Aug 10, 2009, 06:47 PM
Voodoo demon compass indeed! I'll continue to get around using my sextant and my masculine sense of perfect direction, thank you very much. Touch screen apparitional voices be damned!

m3coolpix
Aug 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
If this was an Apple software/hardware product, I could understand the devotees waiting to purchase it 'just because'.

However, I don't remotely see TomTom in the same league as Apple (as much as they might think they are or should be). For those that do, free market works, and I sincerely hope TomTom knocks it out of the ball park for ya.

But, for those who are waiting because they think TomTom is going to be less expensive than the others in the App Store. Just one question....when was TomTom the least expensive manufacturer in this product category upon the launch of a new product (hardware or software)?

$69 right now for the Navigon US version and it just friggin' works like an Energizer bunny.

The TomTom hype machine has completely run out of internally & organically generated fertilizer if you ask me.....:rolleyes:

leomac08
Aug 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
GPS? why? when u can use google maps!:D espicially if ur iphone has GPS!

SpaceKitty
Aug 10, 2009, 08:06 PM

Google Maps doesn't have all the features that a GPS app does.

Pomeroy
Aug 10, 2009, 08:09 PM
TomTom is not only late to the party but would have to be a lot better than their stand alones that are a big bag of fail when I tested along side of a Garmin nuvi on 2 trips.

Luke1robb
Aug 10, 2009, 08:40 PM
What is "10:30 am" in EST?

fr00b
Aug 10, 2009, 08:44 PM

Google Maps is fine when your walking, not a TBT app though so rubbish for everything else

eawmp1
Aug 10, 2009, 08:44 PM
Voodoo demon compass indeed! I'll continue to get around using my sextant and my masculine sense of perfect direction, thank you very much. Touch screen apparitional voices be damned!

And when you are lost, you won't even ask for directions :rolleyes:

Are you serious? Have you not read about these products? On phone map data that don't require a cell signal to load? Turn by turn voice navigation? Google maps is no Navigon.

leomac08
Aug 10, 2009, 08:47 PM

it comes preloaded in the iphone!!! is easy, but do u think if "tom, tom," releases a GPS service will it be an app? (like a $50 dollars app) or a monthly service? idk:confused:

freediverdude
Aug 10, 2009, 09:17 PM
I have been waiting for this Tom Tom app ever since the 3G launch day, July 11th, 2008. I finally have moved on and subscribed to the AT&T nav. Tom Tom, you had a lot of us, but you blew it by waiting over a year. I am a willing waiting fanboy, but 13 months is my limit.

fr00b
Aug 10, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have been waiting for this Tom Tom app ever since the 3G launch day, July 11th, 2008. I finally have moved on and subscribed to the AT&T nav. Tom Tom, you had a lot of us, but you blew it by waiting over a year. I am a willing waiting fanboy, but 13 months is my limit.

Me too. I had been waiting for this app since they announced they had a working GPS unit, but blamed it on Apples SDK. Sure, they had the right to, but Apple got their SDK together. Now it's TomTom to sort themselves out.

But surely, this Sept 22nd date can't possibly be for the iPhone. I can hardly describe TBT on iPhone as the 'future of navigation' :rolleyes:

wackymacky
Aug 10, 2009, 09:41 PM
Tom Tom's sure made a muck up of this. The go alone to the 3GS's WWDC and spuot off how great they are and well, we're still waiting.

leomac08
Aug 10, 2009, 09:41 PM

mines is 13 days:D

keifer64
Aug 10, 2009, 10:34 PM
I've been waiting for this day since I got my 3g last September. I absolutely love my TomTom, I have both European and North American maps, I'll buy the new device and app the moment I can :D

m3coolpix
Aug 10, 2009, 10:51 PM
This media event is only to announce the TomTom app and cradle pricing and availability (which may not be for some time in the future?).

hazza.jockel
Aug 11, 2009, 12:58 AM
the only way i would think of buying the tom tom app is if it was voice activated. i.e. you just say "directions to 123 fake st" and it does it all.

that would be sweet:D

telefono
Aug 11, 2009, 02:49 AM
I'm sick of waiting as well, sygic or navigon here I come..............

If the price is right I might look at tomtom in 1-2 years time (instead of updating the maps in sygic / navigon) that I will purchase tonight.

Tiffy
Aug 11, 2009, 02:51 AM
TomTom's only chance of success is to release something far better than the competition :
- Bug free application
- free traffic info (the other competitors will probably release traffic info soon, but probably not for free)
- speed cameras/radars/mobile radars info for free (some competitors already offer speed cameras/fixed radars info, but nothing is said about updates)
- IQ Routes (I am not a fan but lots of people are)
- free map updates for a long period of time (Igo already includes free map updates until december 2010)

All of that without being more expensive than the competitors...

If they don't do something like that, I see no reason to switch from Navigon to TomTom...

musio
Aug 11, 2009, 04:50 AM
TomTom's only chance of success is to release something far better than the competition :
- Bug free application
- free traffic info (the other competitors will probably release traffic info soon, but probably not for free)
- speed cameras/radars/mobile radars info for free (some competitors already offer speed cameras/fixed radars info, but nothing is said about updates)
- free map updates for a long period of time (Igo already includes free map updates until december 2010)

If they don't do something like that, I see no reason to switch from Navigon to TomTom...

agree. For those who paid a high price - why pay more?
those who paid 26 for copilot, why spend a fortune if it does the job which is a reason to spend 26.

Tomtom, you missed out.

t0mat0
Aug 11, 2009, 06:34 AM
Same day as Apple's keynote possibly? :rolleyes:

iPod touch 3rd gen, tablet, snow leopard etc.....:eek::D

Not entirely sure it's the iPhone app.

Apple will be doing the Touch along with the iPod refresh, which is normally the 1st, or 2nd Tuesday of September. With Snow Leopard around that time too.
Just seems there's an embargo on 3rd party accessories - and TomTom is effectively saying the embargo will be that date or before. I'd say likely we'll see the GPS accessories coming out

DOn't forget TomTom isn't the only one, along with Navigon out there - Gomite has gone quiet for example.

If you were making an iTablet, wouldn't you want a SatNav app? Maybe we're seeing a potential date for a high end App Store?

If the event is about the iPhone app and dock, then it seemingly doesn't square with when it's likely the iPods and Touch will get refreshed. (also see ZuneHD release/announcement around the 8th September).
Would TomTom hold an event just to show the app/dock, if Apple had an event highlighting it first? You'd think that Apple would make it so that the Touch would be able to use the app/dock too (though maybe only the upcoming new version).

MIght be wrong, but it seems Apple's waiting on the iPod/Touch refresh for hardware and accessory products to get announced/released.

dvince2
Aug 11, 2009, 07:20 AM
Wanted Tom Tom. Bought Navigon. Love it. Never looking back.

Donz0r
Aug 11, 2009, 08:18 AM
- Bug free application

I agree

Also, imho - naivgon has the better software. I don't know about you guys though, but a 'special media event' and the 'future of navigation'... I'm gonna wait and see what they have in store before I drop $80 on navigon. They may have completely revamped their software/features/ etc.

JFreak
Aug 11, 2009, 08:27 AM
Wanted Tom Tom. Bought Navigon. Love it. Never looking back.

Same here. I've got Europe+USA+CAN for less than what I suspect TomTom is asking for their riduculously overpriced dash mount...

BeyondtheTech
Aug 11, 2009, 08:49 AM
Had TomTom made an official iPhone announcement with pricing (even if it was $99.99) before August 15, I think it would have held off additional purchases of Navigon by iPhone/iPod touch users.

Releasing this obscure invite for something so far off as September 22 and not even mentioning the iPhone app simply shows lack of insight and motivation to get the userbase in check.

TomTom lost my sale. I'm purchasing Navigon on the 15th.

JFreak
Aug 11, 2009, 08:59 AM
TomTom lost my sale. I'm purchasing Navigon.

I bet there are tons of people thinking just like you. Me myself included, even though I was very excited about TT announcement in WWDC. Then came Navigon out of nowhere and released "v0.9" software for great intro price with detailed promise of following ("v1.0") updates - and more to follow - so I decided a map is a map is a map therefore I bought Navigon simply because it was available, easy to use and was priced right. TomTom already failed with two of these, and the third is up to debate.

boxstboy
Aug 11, 2009, 09:15 AM
Tried Navigon free edition. Couldn't see any street names without getting up close to iphone, especially with that horrible color scheme. Wasn't impressed.

Will probably be getting iGO as it seems to be the best of the current lot. Also guaranteed free map updates for 1.5 years, TTS upgrades, etc.

dkhenkin
Aug 11, 2009, 10:20 AM
Will the Navigon app work with the TomTom mount? Any ideas..?

robbieduncan
Aug 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
Will the Navigon app work with the TomTom mount? Any ideas..?

As in will it work with the additional GPS receiver etc? I'd be amazed if it will. To use the dock connector the app and accessory have to be designed for each other.

brasscat
Aug 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
I'll save more than any of you! I plan on figuring out how to get somewhere before I leave the house. That way, no need for a GPS. :D

VenusianSky
Aug 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
September 22...boo! I thought for sure the Tom Tom app would be out this month.

dkhenkin
Aug 11, 2009, 11:09 AM
As in will it work with the additional GPS receiver etc? I'd be amazed if it will. To use the dock connector the app and accessory have to be designed for each other.

Damnit the dock was a big selling point for me. Bluetooth speaker and line in port. Maybe I will have to hold out :(

FearlessFreep
Aug 11, 2009, 01:05 PM
There's really no spinning it. Tom Tom has bungled this release about as bad as you can. Their marketing strategy is SHOT. The stand alone GPS apps have demonstrated that there is no need for a GPS-chip dock and that the iPhone can handle TBT just fine without one. Really, that was their only hope - to be first out of the gate with their solution whereby people would say "hey, this works great." By essentially being the last to the party (excepting Garmin), they've eliminated any competitive advantage the hardware solution may have had. Even if they come out with more features in the software, the other software houses will simply release an updated package themselves. And TT won't even release pricing.

Epic fail.

I'm buying iGo My Way or Navigon on Friday.

pdmpolishing
Aug 11, 2009, 02:02 PM
I too was waiting for TomTom, as I've use TomTom for many years I thought I would wait, after waiting so song for any information regarding a release date and pricing I decided to try Co Pilot.

Well after using Co pilot for a few days I think TomTom should be worried, at 26 this App is great, it works well, there is plenty of information regarding POI's, doesn't need any extra hardware at extra cost.

If TomTom want to sell their App at a higher cost, it's going to have to be very good indeed. I.E. iQue routes, speed camera warnings, free map updates, Map share, text to speech. If TomTom's App has the ability to use the phone in App I think they would be onto a winner, lets wait and see.

Londonluke
Aug 11, 2009, 03:24 PM
to be honest , i am laughing at Tomtom. I hope someone really loses their job over this mess. For far too long they have taken the **** out of their customers. Now they are going to suffer! people have moved over to Navigon etc or a stand alone tomtom gps unit. The investment they have made in this new iphone system will be the death of them

if your reading this "mr Tomotom" bet you get the smile wiped off your face

dkhenkin
Aug 11, 2009, 06:02 PM
I caved and just bought the Navigon. Worked right after install, no GPS issues like some people reporting. The price is too good to pass up and who knows what and when tomtom will do. Also ordered a nice 6$ car mount that had great reviews and will go nicely into my car.

Eso
Aug 12, 2009, 03:21 AM
I wonder if it is an issue with in-app purchases. They probably want to sell the standard app and then let people purchase whichever maps they need. Has anyone seen in-app purchasing yet? It's possible Apple is not ready for that yet and that is what is holding it all up.

RichieCat
Aug 12, 2009, 05:39 AM
I've been waiting a long time for tomtom to release their iPhone application but i just got fed up with waiting!

I've brought Copilot live, which for 25 for the UK edition is an absolute bargain and it's actually pretty good too!

I do like tomtom but unfortuantly even if they'd been releasing it tomorrow they'd have left it too late - Sept 22nd is just stupid! What are they thinking?

Unless tomtom's new app does something amazing and really is "the future of navigation" (yeah right) and is a priced to compete with likes of Copilot then there's no chance i'll buy it.. and im really not sure many other people will either.

Unless they sell this app for a competitve price then i can see that theres likely to be lots of hacked copies going around... might be a reason to Jailbreak for lots of people ;-)

Aug 12, 2009, 09:26 AM
Like alot of people, I realy liked my Tomtom, it was stolen from my car. When Tomtom announced an app at WDC i was excited. Never did i think it would take 3 months for them to get it out, and that's only if it actually comes out on Sept.

i went ahead and bought the Navigon app and I couldn't be happier with my purchuse. I bought a cheap $15 window mount and it works perfectly. I get a signal lock in about 30 seconds and have only lost it wehere you'd expect to loose a gps signal, in tunnels and some other locations in manhattan where my tomtom also lost signal.

While the navigon could use some tweaking, I can't imagine that tomtom will debut will be anything better. Even at the exorbitant prices that are rumored.

Go Navigon!

Illusion986
Aug 12, 2009, 11:26 AM
It is taking them quite a while to release it. But i decided to be patient with this and see if i should buy app for Iphone or stand alone unit. But if they will want $199 or something like that for their mount then forget about it!

Veinticinco
Aug 12, 2009, 01:38 PM
What's the Dutch for "business seppuku" again? :rolleyes:

"Later this summer" indeed. What a crock of *****. September 22 is practically Q4, and the leaves will have started going red/brown and falling.

Anyone else drop their email address in their 'update' field back in early June and received zilch the last two months? It's already long overdue, and yet now apparently they're all ready to launch it....... in ANOTHER SIX WEEKS!!! Will probably have the same inferior graphics to the competition as well.

The delay is obviously the bloody cradle isn't it? The software has been unofficially working for ages now. So what they should have done is release the software via the App Store, get customers on board and then release the cradle when it's ready as both a standalone and a combined package. We'd have understood, or at least been sated.

Achterlijkes, the lot of them. Probably sitting round picking their noses Beavis and Butthead-style in a circular argument about pricing.

Overpromising and then underdelivering is probably the worst mistake a company can make re. pissing off a potential customer base, and I really hope TomTom learn that lesson the hard way.

[/end_rant]

apolloa
Aug 12, 2009, 07:56 PM
I too was waiting for TomTom, as I've use TomTom for many years I thought I would wait, after waiting so song for any information regarding a release date and pricing I decided to try Co Pilot.

Well after using Co pilot for a few days I think TomTom should be worried, at 26 this App is great, it works well, there is plenty of information regarding POI's, doesn't need any extra hardware at extra cost.

If TomTom want to sell their App at a higher cost, it's going to have to be very good indeed. I.E. iQue routes, speed camera warnings, free map updates, Map share, text to speech. If TomTom's App has the ability to use the phone in App I think they would be onto a winner, lets wait and see.

I read Co-Pilot will give free map updates every 12 to 18 months (I can't see many new UK roads in that time being built?)

Also coming in the next update:

Safety camera alerts
QWERTY Keyboard
Improved GPS performance
Improved Walking mode
Smart call handling to remember your destination after a phone call
Improved initial activation
Dial a POI

They are also bringing live traffic updates to it as well, they currently charge 35 for this for a 2 year subscription.

Really not sure just how TomTom can improve on what is already out there?

A September 22 release is also an utter joke, as said the software I thought was finished last year?

BriGuy20
Aug 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
This is getting ridiculous. I was considering holding out for the IQ routes but no mention of a release date and an event that may or may not signify the launch of the GPS app has taken me within 1% of my remaining patience. If I don't hear anything before August 15th I'll probably get the Navigon.

fishstacks
Aug 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
The future of navigation is a heck of a claim.

BriGuy20
Aug 13, 2009, 09:02 PM
Had TomTom made an official iPhone announcement with pricing (even if it was $99.99) before August 15, I think it would have held off additional purchases of Navigon by iPhone/iPod touch users.

Releasing this obscure invite for something so far off as September 22 and not even mentioning the iPhone app simply shows lack of insight and motivation to get the userbase in check.

TomTom lost my sale. I'm purchasing Navigon on the 15th.

+1. I'll probably get it tomorrow (the 14th), since until doesn't necessarily include the day of.

To paraphrase a quote about Brazil, TomTom is the GPS of the future and always will be. Someone should be fired for the litany of mistakes they have made with the launch. They SHOWED AN APP AT THE MACWORLD CONVENTION but nary a peep since. I agree that even a mention of a price and an estimated release date may have held people off from Navigon and other GPS apps, but they have waited too long and I for one have run out of patience.

Congratulations, TomTom, you lost another sale. Hope your presentation in September can partially make up for the royal cluster$&#* you just created.

clevin
Aug 13, 2009, 11:08 PM
I like Tomtom, I have Go720, I think they are better than Garmin and Navigon in terms of flexibility and snappiness of the software.

Of source, I have Palm Pre with free navigation already, so would like to see a comparison as well.

DELLsFan
Aug 15, 2009, 11:45 AM

No kidding! WWDC seems like so long ago and teasing us with a product that won't be available for sale for months is already frustrating enough! :eek:

kevwright
Aug 15, 2009, 01:27 PM
Tom Tom is too late. I just ordered a stand-a-lone Tom Tom 4.3" for $145.00. Why pay for an untested app, extra mount that can't be used unless my iPHone is naked, etc. Plus, I get free map updates.

Hardly "too late", you bought a TomTom!

Kev

countrydweller
Aug 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
I like Tomtom, I have Go720, I think they are better than Garmin and Navigon in terms of flexibility and snappiness of the software.

Of source, I have Palm Pre with free navigation already, so would like to see a comparison as well.

Not free, bundled.

vmatikov
Aug 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
This is WAAAYYYY too late. Imma just buy Navigon. Easy solution.

Sry, TomTom. I like your products, but wait this is ridiculous.

OllyW
Aug 16, 2009, 05:55 PM
This is WAAAYYYY too late. Imma just buy Navigon. Easy solution.

Sry, TomTom. I like your products, but wait this is ridiculous.

You haven't got to wait much longer (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=766532).

vmatikov
Aug 16, 2009, 05:59 PM
You haven't got to wait much longer (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=766532).

Lol ok fair enough.. But according to that, it's more expensive than the $69.99 I can buy Navigon for, right now.

ct2k7
Aug 16, 2009, 08:51 PM
According to UK pricing and current exchange rates, USA + CAD version is :

$99.28

SooneratND
Aug 16, 2009, 09:26 PM
According to UK pricing and current exchange rates, USA + CAD version is :

$99.28

I'm not sure you can just convert it. Because they are all different maps/areas, they are different apps, and could be different prices depending on the region. A straight currency conversion may not be accurate.

ct2k7
Aug 16, 2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure you can just convert it. Because they are all different maps/areas, they are different apps, and could be different prices depending on the region. A straight currency conversion may not be accurate.

Whilst I would agree with that, it puzzles me why both UK and US/CAD apps are the same price here, and why TomTom's site hasn't been updated to reflect ant changes.

vmatikov
Aug 17, 2009, 08:50 PM
Oh that's cute.. yesterday I was making a big deal bout how Tom Tom was too late with their app... Today it's available to DL on the app store. Lol.. It's like they heard me..